This is Yasiel Puig’s Team

In the Bible book of Isiah it says:

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.

Jesus Christ said that if you have faith, you can move mountains.  This is Reverend Timmons and that’s today’s sermon. Here comes the collection plate…

Yasiel Puig, the youngest Dodger is now their leader.  He came from AA, stepped up as their leader and showed the Dodgers that mountains really could be moved.

Last night, he took a 90+ MPH fastball in the face and lived to fight another inning during which he was ejected.  The Lost Angeles Guggenheims suddenly morphed back into the Los Angeles Dodgers.  After seeing Puig take it in the nose and stay in the game, what else could Andre Ethier do but hit the ball out of the park?

After seeing his leader hit, Zach Greinke hit one of theirs, just like you are supposed to do – in the back, but the Arizona Headhunters came back and hit Greinke in the head, precipitating the melee.

The Dodgers found out that they didn’t always need their stars and that they could move mountains when Tim Federowicz doubled in three runs to win the game.   He just missed a Grand Slam by a few feet.

One boy, er’ man has resurrected this moribund team.  Was last night a significant step in getting these guys to pull together as a team?

It could be.  I’m not ready to pronounce it, but it really could be the start of something special.

Yasiel Puig is alive an well in LA!  I have never seen a player like him.

FathersDay2013

63 Responses to “This is Yasiel Puig’s Team”

I hope you are right. There has been no fire in these guys, now maybe there will be.

You should here how last night is being talked about here in Arizona. Ian was just pitching inside and both pitches got away. Greinke is a deliberate headhunter. Whatever.

Is Puig ok? Somebody mentioned hamstring last night. Will he sit today?

Looks like Withrow will be the next sacrificial minor league pitcher. Hope he can find the strike zone. If he does, he could be ok. He’s got nasty stuff…. just spends too much time pitching out of the stretch.

2. Watford Dodger says:

Love Grienke for last night. One of us now. Think he needs a bit if credit for leading the way.
    Shame about Monday’s defeat but at least it sorted the Closing issue.
    Shame about SVS and let’s pray there’s nothing wrong with Puig because Mark is right – he is leading/ carrying this team.

the D-Back TV broadcast of the game — on Extra Innings (no Dodger broadcast nationwide last night) — they showed some of the history of Dodgers – D-Backs games over a couple of season.

Kershaw was in the middle of it. With pitches at their hitters.

I think it was also a bit of last place team having problems and the first place team going to the limit or edge.

Brush back pitches, tight pitches — but no — head hunting they tried to go.

FedEx made a special delivery — sent a ball air-mail to the wall.

The D-Backs seem to be playing with an attitude — that comes right from football Kirk Gibson’s play book. Get in your opponents face — and tear him up.

Just why was Puig thrown out? Saw him pointing his finger and yelling . . . but why him?

And Castellanos — up to bat for the first time — tried to bunt and runs into the bunted ball with is head. Now what is up with that? More bunting practice, please.

Oh, Puig looked over-matched at the plate last night. 0 for 2.

And — Oh, I believe there were at least two OTHER games with bench clearing situations . . .

Puig looked out of synch when he swung and missed on strike 4. Sure hope he is ok.

Yeah, nice bunt Casty. It happens sometimes, but I haven’t seen that at the Major League level in a long time.

Attitude is everything. Playing pissed off can give you an edge, but it can also send you over that edge. Tread carefully. Do it all within the rules.

Don’t know why Puig got tossed. Monterro should have been with his bear hug violent toss to the ground of… somebody. Ward got his ass handed to him. I know this dback lineup pretty well. None of them are tough guys. Parra is a little punk, but a good player. Goldy is big, but mellow. Nobody else on that team is scary. Except maybe the guy we are facing today. That kid is scary with the ball in his hand. He hasn’t lost yet and has an ERA under 2. Time to let him know who we are.

5. Mark Sweeney says:

So Mark is Puig the equivalent of the young David who slew the giant? Let’s hope so.

6. Idaho al says:

You may be right Mark. They certainly defended Puig last night. At least our pitcher did not go head hunting. We need to get Crawford, Kemp and Ramirez back. Punto, Ellis, and Hairston are part players, and play the game the way it should be played. Jansen did a great job last night. It was fun to watch. Great game!!! The Dodgers did show me that they cared. After Monday night’s game, they could of mailed it in and did not. I give a lot of credit to Greinke. He did not back down.

7. Rob says:

Donnie said Puig had a leg cramp during the press conference. The Dbags tried to play dirty and got what they deserved, a loss.

8. DodgerDude says:

Stomp on the Snakes

I only have one question that I can’t get answered. What the hell was Greinke doing batting in that inning after the first bench clearing deal?

If the answer is it’s still a tight game, OK. I’ll take that. But after the brawl why did you leave him in to run the bases just to lift him in the top of the next inning? So Zach runs the bases and makes a clean hard slide risking injury for what?

Questionable judgment.

I don’t get why Puig was ejected although I am glad he was for his own sake. He was hot!!! We don’t need him making a dumb move after that.

Kennedy is an A-hole. Look I get wanting to come up and in. Maybe even to shake up the kid, new guy, to shake him up and make him think twice about diving for the outer part of the plate. But when you hit the other teams best palyer in the face you have to expect one of your own guys to wear one on the back or the butt. Greinke did the right thing by plunking Montero in the back. I think even Montero knew it (he didn’t like it) but he got it.

Kennedy couldn’t let it go. Just like he did with Kershaw, he threw at his head. If this guy wants to hide behind “baseball code” he loses. You never throw at the head. Even if he nails Zach in the butt or back. This wouldn’t have been as ugly. Like a coward Kennedy goes straight to the dugout and hides. Props to Mattingly for going straight after Gibson. Alan Trammel got the Don Zimmer treatment last night.
    For those of you who still romanticize about 1988, screw Kirk Gibson. He sold all his Dodger wears. He turned his back. Now he stands by his team taking pot shots at our new phenom, Clayton Kershaw, and Grienke? F you Gibson. You were a rented Dodger and I am done with you.

Suspensions or no, this is not over. I look for the next time Kennedy pitches against the Dodgers, he will wear one for once. Lets hope its someone expendable on the mound. I volunteer League or Bellasario!

If Puigs leg is cramping, or was, You have to sit him tonight!!

Too risky too, many emotions. It is not worth losing another guy to injury.

11. the truth hurts says:

This could be the season turning brawl but then I remembered that our lineup consists of the players it currently does……

Not gonna happen unfortunately.

12. Rob says:

If league wants to win back his teammates and fans he needs to ask for the ball and drill montero up high. Take the suspension and comeback as a somewhat of a hero.

I was asking myself the same question Romey. What the hell is Greinke doing hitting? It was like he was sent up there to get plunked. OK. That happened, now put in a runner for him and get him around. Strange. But, strange IS Donnie.

For what it’s worth, Kennedy has been missing his spots all year. He choked up 10 earned in less than 4 IP last time out and has 8 already this year. I think he was probably going high and tight against our best hitter. That’s what I would do. He lost it. Then he lost it again head high against Greinke and THAT was purposeful. I think the league might have something to say about that one. Kennedy is not usually an asshole. He is a good pitcher that is struggling and he f’d up last night. You just shouldn’t be able to get away with throwing twice at player’s heads. I hope a suspension is forthcoming.

I think Kennedy’s pitch to Puig got away. He was probably trying to go inside, and it got away. Happens often. I doubt he was going after his head, at that time.

Naturally Greinke retaliated. But in the back, and that’s normal.

However, Kennedy went at Greinke’s head, which is a no no. (Why Greinke was even batting is beyond me, but we do have a clueless manager).

What I heard from Beto Duran last night on Dodger Talk was that, during the melee, somebody sucker punched Luis Cruz in the back of the head. Puig saw that, and that’s when he went wild and went after the guy who sucker punched Cruz. So Puig was sticking up for his teammate. Can’t blame him, but if those punches are caught on TV, he’ll be suspended. Also, as we all saw on TV, JP Howell had their coach, Turner Ward, by the railing (and almost threw him into the camera well). At that point, Miguel Montero went after Howell, and that’s when Kersh jumped in and looked like he was swinging at Montero. Again, if he’s caught on tv, suspensions.

All in all, EXCELLENT brawl by us! Our coaches beat up their coaches, and our players beat up their players. Suspensions aside, hopefully it brought us together.

15. Bobbie17 says:

Winning the fight after the game doesn’t count unless you win the game. Fisticuffs are not substitute for hard, aggressive play, which this team has lacked. The most important thing about last night was that the Dodgers won the game. Against the first place team, while the Giants lost. I like the team’s new spark. It began when Mattingly chewed out the players. I hate to say it, but the Manager is leading this apparently new attitude. Where did THAT come from? Now it has to translate on the field. Corbin goes tonight. Puig won’t get a pitch above the knees. Great early test between two teams that don’t like each other at all. The rich boys are hated by most teams, especially those in the division. Oh well. Victory should taste sweeter.

Nicely said by both Bobby and B17. We took the brawl all the way back to their dugout. Then we won the game.

It will be a tough test tonight. Corbin is the real deal. Nobody has beat him yet.

I haven’t read what MLB might do in review, but Rosenthal wrote about it. Said he couldn’t find an adult in the room. That’s why he can only write about it – he never played the game.

Somebody will likely get a suspension. League has to send messages you know. There was a fan standing right behind it with a smart phone recording the whole thing. Maybe he can help the commish sort it out.

17. Quasimodo says:

Hey DRomo, I’m very less concerned about ‘questionable judgement’ than I am with the worth of what the outcome may hold for us. The term TEAM seems to have more meaning than it did 24 hours ago. And as there were no injuries, last night’s wrecklessness was worth whatever risks were taken. It doesn’t always turn out as good, but it did last night.

18. Matt says:

Anyone hear what Montero said?

“It got pretty ugly,” Montero said. “They came out of nowhere, just throwing punches. When everybody was trying to break it up, they just kept coming and throwing punches. It was like 25 against 72, because all the DL guys were out there, too. I guess their arms were feeling pretty good because they were throwing good punches.”

19. Dodgerdog says:

One positive out of possible suspensions – Belisario wouldn’t blow any leads for a day or two.

20. the truth hurts says:

Anyone considering Austrailia? I am.

21. Pete M. says:

The fight is the top topic!!! But I would like a take on this dumb ass umpire behind home who gives Puig 4 strikes and the night before missed a play at 1B from me to you…More time in the minors after this series eval.

22. Pete M. says:

Someone should have been sitting on Puig the whole time. If the nose and the cramp aint a problem, a suspension would be!!! I think both he, Beli and Kershaw could get a time out by Toree…

23. Maverick says:

Mattingly taking down Trammel was epic. #donniebasebalrules

24. Dave says:

FIRE IN THE HOLE !!!!!! DAMN I LOVE THIS GAME !!!!! NOW WERE TALKIN GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ASS AND GET WITH THE PROGROM !!!! LETS SEE IF THERE ANXIOUS TO COME TO THE PARK ????? THANK YOU KENNEDY !!!!

Two thing from last night –

Thank you D-Backs and Gibby the manager — for waking up the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers have been playing asleep for almost 2 and a half months now.

Second, if it is true that what got to Puig was seeing Cruz getting hit — remember, Cruz is his buddy. And he had to defend his friend.

26. Dave says:

TTH ya never no what shakes the binding web on guys or teams i saw alot there last night , ya never ever no in this game. Ian kennedy is god sent for the dodger sake under current blue conditions , only helps fire the core of a guy, this game is a grind !

27. Watford Dodger says:

And where was the Big Man Kennedy while it was all going off?
    Sitting in the dugout of course. Bottler.

28. Dave says:

sorry badger that was me just didnt load then came in blank , thats what i heard on withrow

29. Dave says:

Lived there 4 years TTH id love to go, i played aussie rules football also, the aussies are the best but im partial, if ya like beer you’ll be right at home i always say for the population there the most sport minded people in the world amazing really , strong families , hearts of gold !

30. Quasimodo says:

It sure appears nearly all the media sides with the Dodgers on this one. They still think suspensions will be dealt though. Tonight’s free game on MLB.com, its gonna be a long 3 hours.

Wilbon just called for a 25 game suspension for Kennedy. I could live with that.

Australia. I spent a month there one week. R&R from Vietnam – Easter ’68. Always thought I would go back. Didn’t.

Dave, what did you hear about Withrow?

Puig out of the lineup today

apparently his shoulder was bothering him

33. Quasimodo says:

That is really bad news, Bobby. Geez! Heavy workload on Ryu tonight.

34. Mark Sweeney says:

Admit it, when you saw McGwire confronting Matt Williams and Gibby, you were wishing he was still on the juice. I know I was. Back in the day he would have tossed both of them into the second row of the seats behind the dugout. Damn that was the first time I longed for steroids to be back in the game.

35. Idaho al says:

Badger and others–The reason I think Greinke was sent to bat in the 8th was that Mattingly thought it was over with. Puig got hit and Greinke hit Montero. That should of ended it. Besides, Greinke is a good hitter. Why he ran after being hit. Mattingly only has a few subs. He had to save as many subs as possible. The score was 2-2 at the time. The problem is that Kennedy went head hunting both times. Gibson will never convince me that he did not order it.

36. Jason says:

When did Puig hurt his shoulder?
    The brawl? ?

Jerry Hairston batting clean up.

Lord.

38. Idaho al says:

Yes, Hairston is batting 4th. The other night Cruze batted 5th. Does that tell you how bad we are right now offensively.

al, if Greinke wasn’t coming out for the 8th, why not try to get the go ahead run in that inning by pinch hitting? Are you saying Greinke is as good a hitter as who we have on the bench?

Come to think of it, he probably is.

Ryu flirting with disaster.

Just who will step up tonight for the Dodgers — anyone???

Hairston batting 4th is still 100x better than when Hernandez was batting 4th.

Dink. Doink.

That could be enough with Corbin on the mound n

45. Rob says:

Hernandez cost the dodgers 2 runs. I really hope they dont send FedEx down once Ellis comes back but I am sure they will.

46. the truth hurts says:

“Perfect throw. Dropped by Hernandez. Guess that’s the price you pay for such a good hitting catcher.” Badger

Could be the line of the year, ha!

This is just god awful.

I see Mary Hart made it to the game tonight.

47. Quasimodo says:

Damn! How cool it would of been if Hairston had gotten just a tad more on that one!

Oops. Maybe we can hang the first L of the year on this guy.

Get the L out of here Corbin!

49. Bball says:

Rookie in this spot. Hmm ok

Withrow threw some heat. Got unlucky. Showed jitters.

Let’s see how he responds next time.

If Tolleson makes it back healthy, he and Withrow could have a radar gun contest!

51. Rob says:

Nice bunting Hernandez. You must go!

52. my boy blue says:

Hope we win it before Leaugue is the last pitching resort

53. Dave says:

thats wierd i posted earlier its gone ! hes up for belisario , as a reliever thats his role now !

54. Quasimodo says:

Time for a 5 run rally, yeah right.

55. Rob says:

I am glad I missed the end of that game. Go back to the 7th when withrow had two on and two outs and they didn’t go to a lefty against montero. That was the key moment of the game that I wish Paco was pitching.

The dropped throw by Her. at home — terrible.

AARP should get involved.

If the Dodgers just could have won last night — the guys would be only 6.5 back.

San Diego has been a game better this week (past 10 games) and now only 5 out.

Giants in 3rd place, 3 games out.

Hey, maybe the secret plan is just to finish rotten the rest of the way, since it has been rotten so far — for a truly HIGH DRAFT PICK NEXT JUNE.

Mark, saw that next March the Dodgers open down below in a 2 game series with the D-Backs —

That will make Camelback interesting with 26 or 27 players missing for that deal.

I would think 25 go, and several in case of injury going down, or being there — call ups would be many hours behind.

58. Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your rss feed and I’m hoping you write again soon!