Think about it people!

• Games like yesterday build character!  They also give a team confidence.  Hanley Ramirez for MVP?
  • Chase Utley will cost the Dodgers something like Zach Lee, Dee Gordon and Joc Pederson.  Utley will be 35 this year, so I can’t see him being a factor next year.  He’s a DH in the AL for a couple more years.  On the other hand, I think the Dodgers could get Jose Altuve for the same players and he’s only 23.   Both would help the team, but Altuve would be around another 10 years.  Do the math.  Utley is sexy, but not smart.  The old players just don’t work out.  Move on…
  • Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford are both broke.  Well, they are far from “broke” but they are “BROKE!”  Beckett might (MIGHT) be able to pitch next year, but his Dodger career was over before it started.  If the Dodgers could get Altuve for the players I suggest, I would not make another move (other than signing the Cuban pitcher).
  • Jose Dominguez is a Pedro Martinez clone (sort of).  He has had control issues but is getting better and can hit 100+ MPH on the gun – consistently!   He’s a reliever – watch him!  He can smoke the ball.
  • As Vin said, the Dodgers are a poor defensive team – defense is a reflection of the manager in my opinion (to a degree).
  • What did I tell you about Good Hanley?  He has to play SS…. and it’s worth it!  He really could be MVP.  He’s that good.
  • Ross Stripling can pitch in the Show this year.  He’s that good too .  The dude is a strike thrower… and he’s getting better.  Last year, in Rookie League he walked 6 batters in 36 innings.  At A ball this year, he walked 11 in 33 innings and was moved to AA where he has walked 6 in 50 innings.   He has a 5.13 SO to Walk Ratio.  In parts of two seasons he is 8-1 in 120 innings with a 2.17 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP.  He averages about a strikeout per inning too.  He will be 24 this fall.  I like him a lot.  Even Clayton Kershaw wasn’t that good at those levels (though he was younger).
  • I am still very hopeful about this team!

Earth-Covered-70

66 Responses to “Think about it people!”

1. Bball says:

Good post. Utley probably is to expensive. I’d love to get altuve but he’s only 23. Why would Houston trade him. He will be hitting his prime right when they’re ready to win. You are right about Hanley as well. I have been pleasantly surprised with his defense too. Not great but I was expecting way worse. Another thing, I think kemp should try leading off. His bat is killing us in the middle of the order. Just a thought

2. Pete M. says:

Who in the hell doesn’t like local boy Chase… 35 y.o.!!! Haven’t we been down this road far too many times!?!?!?
    If they could get Altuve, I would have to go along with it!!! Happy about all the prospects flying ou of the house??? Not Really..
    What a helluva year to get to see the kids I.E. SVS, Puig Fife,etc.
    now Dominguez… Put him a good situation and lets see what we got for now and what we gotta work on. Pedro Martinez??? If you have to!!!

3. AnewBlueDay says:

Let us not forget, Ned is the man. He is the GM and the point of light. Ownership must approve, but it is Ned’s job to improve the team with ups and downs in the system and trades.

But we know Ned. I believe he will make a move to fix one spot in the batting order.

Maybe it be 2nd base or 3rd base. He will do something.

And knowing Ned — it will be a veteran. Utley fills the bill for him. And it might just put the Dodgers over the top.

How many times has the 2nd base slot come up in the batting order of a key game — and (maybe) if Utley had been there — a key hit.

That is what Ned is thinking right now.

4. AnewBlueDay says:

Oh, I applaud SVS, but I need to see him do more.

5. Pete M. says:

Anew…SVS may never do any more, but when he arrived he payed dividends and added to some W’s…I want him on my anemic bench for the time being…
    Like to go see CC and Lilly rehab in Rancho today, but I don’t know if this old guy could handle the heat!?!?!?

6. ODRC says:

I see no way the Astros would trade Altuve, even for the package described above. Even rebuilding teams rarely trade proven young players with 4+ years of team control left for prospects. They are a lot better off hanging on to the little bit of young talent that is producing and building around it. If he continues at his current pace, they will still be able to get as much prospect talent in a few years if things aren’t improving down there or they don’t see a chance to sign him long term. Seager and Altuve are pipe dreams at this point in time.

Good post Mark.

I would not give that much for Utley. He is a salary dump for the Phillies, even though his contract is up at the end of the year. An A+ prospect and a Caribbean vacation for Amaro should do it. If not, then let someone else overpay for a rental. He would be VERY helpful this year AND next, but with his injury history, it’s a gamble. We have already gambled enough.

I don’t believe Beckett and Crawford are done. If they were a few years older, I might say that. But, with proper medical attention, and rehab, I believe they can both contribute. Look what Beckett did for us last year (ERA+ of 132), and look what Crawford was doing THIS year.

Pete, I would like to see Uribe off the bench for late inning heroics. That would mean of course we have upgraded the left side of the infield. Not sure about SVS, but he may have run his course.

Kemp. I think we need to send him some Ho’oponopono meditations his way.

Excellent posts, except regarding Crawford.

He was maybe out best player, until his hamstring tore/ripped/strained/pulled.

Hell, half our team has hamstring issues. If that were the case, Hanley, Kemp, and bunch of others would be “done”, or “broke.”

Now, when he returns next week, instead of batting in front of Ellis, Hairston, and Ramon Hernandez (why on earth did he bat 4th??), he will bat in front of Puig, Agone, Hanley, and Kemp. My lord this is going to be fun!!!!

No to Utley because of the cost, and because our negotiator isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed.

Hopefully we can put up some runs today, and let this Dominguez kid thow. I wana see 100mph as well.

Oh, and those of u who know our minors: I heard/read somewhere that Stripling is very much like a Chris Carpenter? Great location on his pitches; doesn’t walk guys.

9. Pete M. says:

Bobby…Great observation on CC…Some tend to forget how damn good he was playing in the lead off spot…Dre is gonna have to sit awhile and contemplate his navel. A healthy CC, Kemp (a little more contact please) and Puig is a recipe for success and fun to watch to boot…

10. Bobbie17 says:

Coming back. It all started when Puig was called up. Attitude can make a difference. Right now the team thinks it can win a close game at the end. I like the way Mattingly is using the bullpen right now. An out here; two outs there. Just stay away from Bellasario, Guerrier, etc. No more than 2 batters each. Bullpens seem to be the difference these days, like it or not. And I don’t. That IS today’s baseball. It would be nice if bullpen call-ups were good. We shall see.

11. Gonzo says:

I like the idea of kemp hitting lead off. Poor guy, he goes up there expecting to be an out. His face says it all.

12. AnewBlueDay says:

On the radio MLB channel a bit ago, they played GM and suggested a trade; they played Ned for the Day –

Dodgers trade: Fife, ??, and Stripling

Cubs give: Garza & Gregg

Then he said: Dodgers win the N.L. West.

So I look at Garza’s record: in the majors since 2006. Is 60-62 lifetime. Last season was 5-7, this year is 3-1 (with 4 more games in the minors). So he leads the Dodgers out of the wilderness??? Could not Fife do as well, and keep Stripling !!!!!

13. Bball says:

Pass on that one

14. Dino says:

Guerrier designated for assignment. Withrow recalled

15. Bball says:

And another one bites the dust. Gurrier dfa’d and withrow back up. Good move.

Ned of course will try and trade him to no avail.

Chew, chew, munch, munch.

Another bad deal bites the dust.

How long can he hide League?

• Hawkeyedodger says:

A little longer now that they don’t have to hide Guerrier too. Last night Kevin Kennedy mentioned DfA’ing Guerrier when Withrow was eligible to be recalled. He seems to have inside info.

“What did I tell you about Good Hanley? He has to play SS…. and it’s worth it! He really could be MVP. He’s that good.”

And what makes you think that Hanley wouldn’t be putting up the same numbers if he was playing 3B? I believe he would. But, I’ve never ever seen the so-called “bad Hanley”. From what I’ve observed, he has been happy since he got to LA, and was just glad to get out of Miami. If the Dodgers can find a shortstop solution, I believe that Hanley would move over to 3B without even a murmur. In fact, I believe I read somewhere that Hanley had shoulder issues the past few years that have begun to disappear. Maybe that explains the sudden resurgence of his bat to superstar levels. And he’s probably reached a point in his career where he’s better suited to play 3B than short, especially if the Dodgers have an alternative at the latter position.

Hopefully Dominguez is a Pedro Martinez clone (is he the new RDLR?). Let’s hope he has the command and pitch variety to go along with the velocity. Another thing to worry about are his past drug issues that led to 25 and 50 game suspensions. Let’s simply hope those were just indiscretions of youth, and that he’s actually learned some lessons. Stripling sounds good, and I hope he’s as good as he sounds. And if the Dodgers think he’s ready, I have no problem with his joining the rotation. There are still some good arms in this organization. If they’re ready for the show, then I’m all for using them instead of seeking outside help.

I wouldn’t surrender a bunch of good prospects to get Utley. The Phillies should be happy if the Dodgers give them salary relief. He would be nice to have for the rest of this season, and maybe next, but he’s not a long term solution. In fact, if the Dodgers want to get a somewhat younger, but still in his 30′s second baseman, they can wait for the offseason, and maybe Robinson Cano (31 in October) will be available. Of course his price tag will be high, and the commitment would be more than a couple of years.

Matt Kemp is still a key to this lineup. I expect that he’s going to find what he’s lost, but I’m not 100% certain that it will be this year. But it could be, and it could happen all of a sudden. As much as it irks some people, patience is the watchword with him. And to get back to where he was is going to require that he plays regularly.

19. AnewBlueDay says:

Dodgers owe Guerrier $4,750,000 for this season. The guy has made over $17 million as a major league pitcher since 2005. Not bad.

Interesting if the Dodgers move Withrow and Dominguez into key late inning roles, and push League into the 6th and 7th inning. Who knows, maybe like last year League can suddenly find it, and be useful as a bridge to Withrow, Dominguez, Jansen, Paco, Howell, and Belisario. But then again, if he doesn’t begin to put it together, Belisario could find himself out the door. Maybe Mark get’s his wish, and Steven Ames replaces him.

By the way, even though he wasn’t effective last night, Belisario was hitting 95-97 on the gun. I don’t recall him doing that this year. Seems he’s been mostly 94-95. Then again, no matter how hard he throws, he’s still got to get outs.

Nice also to see some big run production, and take some of the pressure off the pen.

It IS interesting Brooklyn. It’s interesting to me because it appears that two more minor leaguers are being given legitimate chances at a crucial time in this team’s season. They succeed and the second half has a different look to it.

I have never seen the Bad Hanley either. There’s a guy who appears delighted to be playing ball in Los Angeles.

I think Garza and Gregg would benefit pitching in the NL West. Trying to get a feel for Garza in Chavez Ravine and I can’t find a career split. Has he never pitched against the Dodgers in L.A.?
      I need a stat geek to run that one down for me. Fife AND Stripling? I think that would do it, but, do we want to do that? Maybe. Ion’tkno. For now, I think Fife is earning his stripes. I have no idea the ceiling on Stripling, but he looks pretty dang good at AA.

Roger, $4.75 million was his salary to begin the year. With about half the season over, the Dodgers will be eating about half that, and he also gets $1 million deferred in 2014. Good work if you can get it.

22. Bball says:

It’s looking like we will be able to pick up another game. 4 back. Forget 500. We’re in first by the break

23. jerry says:

kemp need to be hitting in the 8th spot. you should never have a guy in the the clean up spot who cant hit the ball. Daaaa

24. AnewBlueDay says:

Puig looks like he is a swing wild man at the plate today. Swinging differently than when he can up.

25. jerry says:

i made my last post before i new they put kemp down in the 7 spot.that is much better.

26. Dino says:

GREAT AT BAT KEMP. HE WILL BE OK

27. Idaho al says:

Stephen Fife is my man. He is from Boise, Idaho and so am I. I know it is only in the 7th, but hey, he has a shut out going. All the starters are playing today. What a change. Usually Mattingly has a bunch of subs playing on Sunday. Get rid of Guerrier and bring up Withrow. Then sit tight and wait to see what may help us. However, I do not trust Colletti to ever do the right thing.

28. Idaho al says:

I just looked at the Dodger web site. Withrow has been brought up and Guerrier has been released. I would like to see League go, but that is not going to happen. He has two years left on his contract after this year.

29. AnewBlueDay says:

So, Idaho al — you say that Idaho Steve is also from Idaho? Well done.

Get Puig up in the 9th, if he hits a HR, he has the cycle + a single.

On, on Fife — you mean the Dodgers could do better in some trade giving up god knows what — in what Fife has done today!!!!!

30. Bball says:

Only way puig gets up in the ninth is if league pitches the ninth. Lets all hope that doesn’t happen. Here comes the flame thrower

31. Dodgerdog says:

Just curious, when are the national league pitchers going to figure Puig out? Not the month of June, that’s for sure.

Kemp still a headcase, not glad to tell you that but somethings wrong with that boy, very inconsistent player, for most of his career.

32. Dave says:

Dominguez is the real deal , kids got stuff will he settle in ? theyll ease him in slow but hes got closer stuff no ? withrow is a same kinda mold guy but his stuff is flatter , command suspect for both but arms are there , but i sense the dodgers gearing to weather the non offense, pitching relief defense is paramount thats there stand now no ? let alone starters very critical move , if it was me relief pitching stability heavy address then starters , true hitting help is just damn tough shopping ! the long stable middle relief is killing them ! let alone the offense they have had some luck toget some wins will see , league has really created a problem but im guessing there gonna work dominguez to that role tall order for a young guy very quite doesnt say much, but he was just flown threw in no time after suspension, raw get after it arm , remember the big boys can time a bullet !its risky but what do ya loose nothing solidify those close ones we would be even if the bullpen was 60% better !

33. Idaho al says:

It is going to be interesting when Lily and Crawford come back. What is Colletti going to do.

34. Bball says:

Puig just might get up. No swinging for Ellis. Take a strikeout to get the kid wonder up.

35. AnewBlueDay says:

Bball – I meant to type — in the 8th — sorry. No edit here.

36. AnewBlueDay says:

Watch a story come out soon. That the organization was just marking time for the first 3 months — giving the other teams a chance.

Now — they will put the real team on the field and pull ahead.

37. Bball says:

There’s no doubt in my mind that this team wins the west. Withrow looks mean. Looks like he should be in the hells angels. He’ll be fine. At least better then gurrier. 4 back. In one week we make up 5 and a half. What a great week. Keep it goin boys. Over 2 million through the first half. Everybody is Hungry for this team to win. Great win. One week constant bitching. The next pure praise. Baseball is a funny game and we all love it. Go dodgers.

38. Dave says:

today was good baseball ! gotta show confidence in that back end its good !

You see…. anything is possible in a long season. We boon in June and the Dbacks and midgets swoon. I love singing that tune.

This team has a different look with the first teamers in there. And the real Matt Kemp hasn’t actually shown up yet. Wonder what happens when Crawford comes off the DL.

Agree about Withrow and can’t wait to see the Dominican Rocket make his mark on this division. 6′ and 160 pounds? Yeah, that’s about Pedro size. Isn’t that too small to be an effective Major League pitcher? Seems I heard that somewhere……..

40. Quasimodo says:

lol, What are Hell’s Angels supposed to look like? There is an ex-Dodger that has ties to that club. Fife was great. Very fun game, lets do it some more.

41. Quasimodo says:

It’ll be tough, Badger. If Dodgers keep getting 8 of 9 they surely win the division. But still a tall order. The energy is great, keep our fingers crossed!

“lol, What are Hell’s Angels supposed to look like?”

I can tell you. I got stoned with a couple of them in Brea back in ’69. It was VERY weird. Long story short, they ended up putting peanut butter in some guys ears and pissing on him after he passed out. Baddest two dudes I have seen since hanging with India Company 26th Marines.

Maybe Withrow can develop some movement, but he doesn’t have it yet. Nice curve though. Definitely has the potential to be very good, but I suspect there’s still stuff he has to work on.

Kemp is coming back from serious shoulder surgery, and yet there are people here who can’t see the forest for the trees. Yes, he’s having problems, and maybe he won’t fully recover this year (and maybe he will). But the Dodgers really need his bat badly, and are unlikely to replace it unless Matt Kemp himself comes out of it. So the answer is simple. He plays everyday, and we hope that the real Matt Kemp steps up soon. And anyone who questions Matt Kemp’s attitude is truly blind. How do you think he hurt the shoulder? Did he really have to go all out to catch that ball in Colorado last year. 20-20 hindsight tells us that he would have been better off dogging it. But that’s not the player Matt Kemp is. And we saw that the other night when he got us an insurance run by stealing 2nd and 3rd. But I understand. Some people are just “what have you done for me lately” kind of people.

Dominguez looks really good. But there’s more to pitching than throwing hard, so we’ll just have to wait and see. But really, what can be wrong with replacing Guerrier and Moylan? I’ll take my chances with Withrow and Dominguez.

Dodgers don’t have to win 8 of every 9. But teams have gone an entire season winning 2 of every 3 (.667). If the Dodgers do that, or even a little below that, they should win the division. Right now they’re only 2 games out of 2nd place. And to take it a step further, had they beaten the D-Backs two more times this year, they would be tied for first.

And if Matt Kemp catches fire, and Hanley, Puig, Gonzalez continue to hit, the Dodgers will be awfully hard to beat. And let’s not forget, the teams in front of the Dodgers are anything but powerhouses. This division is up for grabs. And I haven’t even mentioned Ethier and Crawford, and the possibility that the Dodgers will fill a hole or two between now and the trade deadline. And maybe we can do it without giving up serious minor league talent if it involves us taking on an onerous contract or two.

There are still things that could go wrong, but that’s always the case. And there’s also an awful lot that could go right. I prefer to think positive. And as the saying goes, it’s a long season. We’re halfway through the season and 4 games out. Who says we can’t win the 2nd half by 10 games?

45. Dave says:

now brooklyn , what have you done lately , where in the hell did you get that kinda attitude ? my comment didnt even reference anything close to that point , i stated in some rehabs effert was terrible , thats not in my playbook never has never will , show some heart at all times hustle , im not a big kemp fan , but thats ok , i agree we need his bat and i said so , i said i hope for his sake he figures it out , so if you feel the need to dig , ” what have you done lately for you brooklyn ” than your just that guy to dig for you !!!!! lately !!!!

46. Dave says:

And brooklyn my resources are pretty deep other than someone i no in the organization i personally would build a team , around a different kind of guy its my opinion , you may not like it but i think its better for chemistry in the big picture , just my take , i got nothing personal against kemp hes just not my kinda guy , so again im sorry i havent done anything for you lately ! show some effort for the team brooklyn !

Dave, I wasn’t even thinking about you or anything you said when I posted.

Dave goes off the deep end at times.

I certainly get your point and agree with it. Kemp has been the team leader for a few years now. He has never showed signs of not hustling. Not that I have seen anyway. I am sure he is frustrated by his lack of progress, and that is the reason is trying to hit everything to Cleveland. I think he will heal up just in time for the big push.

• Dave says:

curious to who and what your referencing too ? brooklyn

Sounding more and more that if the Dodgers acquire another pitcher or bring up one of their own, that Stephen Fife should remain in the rotation, and that Lilly should be the odd out. Same could happen to Capuano. At the very least, Fife has to this point earned a starting spot. Maybe that will change, or maybe not. And if the Dodgers have to eat some money, so be it.

49. Bball says:

Going after starting pitching would be foolish to me. Many other needs that need to be addressed before the starting pitching.

50. SpokaneBob says:

Great game today. I am so excited that we dumped the cheese head (Matt G) and Moylan and brought up the 2 kids. I believe that they will be given the chance to show what they can do to improve the pen between now and the trade deadline and then some decisions will be made. With Fife pitching like he has we have no need for Nolasco. Crawford went 2 for 2 today. Puig is just crazy fun to watch. I hope the fans vote him onto the allstar team. He has alot to learn but can you imagine what kind of player he could be when his skills are more refined?

The upcoming road trip is a monster but the team is looking like it is ready for it. If we keep playing good baseball, management will do what they can to make us even better.

51. Quasimodo says:

Oh its very possible, especially looking how things changed in a weeks time. Winning the division would be the greatest comeback I’ve seen. Dodgers will need a big part of the games before the break.

They need to take care of business within the division. Big games coming up in early July.

Like I’ve always said ” Grow your Own ” it certainly is nice to see the Dodgers that aren’t earning their paycheck getting jettisoned but what is more surprising is being replaced with prospects, did we have a change in philosophy? , certainly hope so.
    I don’t think anyone questions Matts effort and desire to succeed, but he has to learn to let it go when he fails. We all love him and need him but he has a fragile personality. He has to chill.
    I think what Matt needs most is a woman.

Happy days are here again

54. AnewBlueDay says:

winning the division most likely means Donnie makes Manager of the Year in the N.L.

55. AnewBlueDay says:

One year ago today, in the N.L. West – the Dodgers were in 2nd place 1 game behind the Giants — playing .544 ball at 43-36.

Today, the Dodgers are in last place at .469 at 38-43.

Today — looking at the A.L.

Out of the hunt for the season: Houston, Seattle and most likely the Angels in the West.

The White Sox and Minnesota in the Central.

In the A.L. East, Toronto is last but if the other teams there fall on their faces, they have a chance with that team.

So that leaves for me only 5 teams out of the three races. And 10 teams in for the post season.

In the Nation League, I see:

Miami and the Mets gone for sure. Philly is now 9.5 back and that will be tough in the East.

In the Central: Milwaukee and the Cubs are gone.

In the West: it is a horse race.

Bottom line: 4 gone for sure and maybe Philly. So the most left is 11 teams.

Some of you will remember — Each year I want all 30 teams to play to 82-82 an have a 15 way tie in each league — driving the Commissioner’s Office crazy with the post season dragging on to Christmas.

Right now the Pittsburgh Pirates are on top of everyone: and they have James McDonald, Russell Martin, Jerry Sands on their 40 man rosters that are former Dodgers. So the Pirates are doing something right . . . best to them.

56. AnewBlueDay says:

Make that 81-81 record.

57. Dave says:

i had a response on marks last stew that fit to a tee in your response so you must not have read that , still curious who and what your referencing to ? brooklyn i think you get my drift whats the point your making ! ? i dont see any thing that required your need for that ! im strait up here !

58. Idaho al says:

Great game today. We had good hitting, pitching, defense and good bull pen. Those young relievers certainly can bring it. However, they need more than a fast ball. I think Fife certainly deserves to be in the starting rotation. It looks to me that Lily in going to be the odd man out. These next 9 games are going to give us an idea of where we are and what we need before the trading deadline.

I see nothing fragile in Kemp’s personality. Surely, when anyone struggles, it can become a mental burden. But the root of Matt Kemp’s problems are almost certainly physical. He played after banging up his shoulder last year, and did so with severe pain, as evidenced by the fact that the damage found in his shoulder was more extensive than anticipated. It’s very likely that playing in pain down the stretch last year contributed to Kemp developing bad habits, and maybe further damaged his shoulder. And those bad habits, combined with the fact that he began this season at less than 100%, are together contributing to his poor play.

In fact, until only recently, Kemp’s weight training program had limits placed on it due to his shoulder. That alone should tell us that he has been working under a handicap all year. I don’t know exactly what’s wrong with Kemp, but I’m convinced that it’s all related to the injury to his shoulder and the subsequent surgery. If anything, I think Matt Kemp is mentally tough, but that no mental toughness is going to be enough to overcome what appear to be physical limitations. He might break out of any day, or this could linger on.

• Dave says:

Brooklyn , mostly for matts sake i hope he does we need him , injuries are injuries clean rehab and game ready are just that , theres something else maybe it is a woman media and other stuff , its time to go whatever is up, as they say hes not in the saddle correctly he better get with the program , this is not time to baby sit its game time your ready or your not that simple !

60. jerry says:

that shoulder does not keep kemp from swinging at bad pitches.that in his head.