Puig Saves Mattingly’s Job

I will give Guggs and Company their props:  they ponied up for Yasiel Puig who is proving to be the most amazing thing since (gasp) Manny-mania!  Like Manny, he is picking up this team and putting them squarely on his shoulders.

The only criticism I have is that he didn’t break with the team.  When you see a guy with that level of talent – it is off the charts – and he hits over .500 in spring training, he has to be on the team.  Cut out the “what-ifs.”  If chickens had lips, they’d be people…  You saw what I saw!

He could have played every game anyway by spelling Crawford, Kemp and Ethier.  I think the Dodgers would have had several more wins by now with Puig because his enthusiasm is contagious.

In fact, Puig-million has saved Donnie’s job… for the time being!

This team has been raised from the dead by the amazing Yas-Man!   Did you see the expressions of the players in the dugout when he hit his Granny?  Priceless!!  This kind of stuff makes your teammates want to do the same thing they just saw you do.    The day Puig-Mania came up was the day the Dodgers season turned 90 degrees.  It turned another 90 degrees last night.  I have to lay off Donnie and Ned because they are now safe… FOR NOW!

Contrary to what many of you think, a team can win without it’s stars.  The Yankees did, and they had more payroll on the shelf than the Dodgers did.  The Dodgers won last night without Ramirez, Crawford, Kemp, Ellis and Ellis in the starting lineup.  This is a no excuse zone and Yasiel showed us how.

Dodger News

• I am in Florida and many people here know about Chris Anderson.  The skinny – great stuff, good body and a junkyard dog mentality!  They say he is a vicious competitor.  One guy told me he’d be a major league starter by 2015.  Nice to know.
  • So Carl Crawford’s injury to his hammy is “fairly significant” and worse than originally thought according to the manager.  Anyone want some of that action on whether he will play more than 100 games?    Felony stupid signing!  The Dodgers will rue the day they traded for Crawford… whoops, I’ve already said that!

68 Responses to “Puig Saves Mattingly’s Job”

“The only criticism I have is that he didn’t break with the team.”

How can you say that? You are a baseball guy with years of experience. You should know better than to try to get away an “I told you so” in here. We had no room for an unproven rookie. We had an outfield stacked with All Stars and we had veterans as back-ups.

If you wanted to have him break with the team you needed to move one of those veteran, already proven, made an All Star team veterans.

The facts don’t change because you want to be right. We had no room for Puig. Now we do. Let’s all just celebrate the moment instead of trying to pound our chests.

“Contrary to what many of you think, a team can win without it’s stars.”

So Puig and Greinke are not stars? I strongly disagree.

I like the pick of that pitcher. 20 years old, 97 mph with a frame that can get stronger.

I still will take the over on 100 games for Crawford. He has played in 51, there is over 100 games left. I would like to see him back. I know you don’t, but, that’s just who you are now. You have been more negative than I have ever seen you, and I have known you a long time.

I remain confident.

Like I said, I have not seen that level of talent in a long time. Talent trumps everything. He could have played 5 or 6 days a week, just spelling the others and platooning with the lefties. When you hit .500 with that talent, you have to be on the team.

I am negative about this bunch because they are not forthcoming and they are overpaying when that does no good. Going forward, the Dodgers will be hamstrung by some of these contracts and they are going to have to pay a lot more revenue sharing that they originally thought. I’m negative because it’s stupid!

I hope Crawford plays 135 games, but I don’t see it! I want him to do well, I just don’t think he will. There’s Mark the fan who wants the best but Mark the realist who knows better.

3. Jason says:

This quote from Don is really bothering me.
    “We’ve got a good club and we’ve got a chance to make some real noise, if we can just get our guys back and get some rhythm going,” Mattingly said. “Then you add [Puig] into the mix. It’s just dynamic.”

- Is Don really dumb enough to bench Puig when the other guys return. Something about the way he said that makes me feel like Puig is going to the bench as soon as the other 2 come off the DL.

4. Mark Sweeney says:

Yes Donnie is dumb enough to bench him.Add Sned and Donnie together and they are dumb enough to send him back down to AA.

5. Idaho al says:

It is great what Puig did last night. He will raise the level of play for everyone on the team. However, we had a great pitching performance by Greinke last night. Let’s remember what Greinke did. We have three good starting pitchers. I will wait for another start before I say Fife should be the 4th starter. However, I like the way he competes. Right now it looks like 3rd and 2nd base positions are the problems. I really think Uribe needs to play 3rd on a consistent basis. Never thought I would say it after the last two years.

6. Idaho al says:

Mark, I do like what you do for us. Sometimes I think you are off the wall, but I think you do it to get us going. I know you are a Dodger fan as we all are. I do think they are now going to turn the season around, all because of one guy.

Mark and I have been friends for a long time. For those who don’t know, we have been at each others throats for most of it (he has to reach down quite a ways to get mine) but no matter what, we will remain friends. We disagree about most things, but, somehow we make it work.

Having said that, I do agree that that it could be possible the Guggs screw this up. Anything is POSSIBLE. I just don’t think they will. McBallsack was a different animal. He NEVER had the money and that was a major concern for me from the beginning. With the Guggs, none of us should worry about any freakin’ contract, no matter the size. These guys have insurance for every player and every player’s contract. They will think nothing about dumping said player and moving on. It’s not about the money so stop already. It’s about the product on the field. There will no “rueing”. There will be thought, action, result.

Nobody knew we would have such a plethora of injured players. If’s and nuts… I know all that….. but the beginning of this year looked pretty good to most everybody, including those who set the line for millions in betting. We had a VERY GOOD TEAM!!

Kemp, Ethier, Billingsley, Ramirez, Greinke, Lilly… have you guys actually ever looked at the Dodgers transaction list for 2013?

Unbelievable. Nobody saw that coming. And injuries ARE an excuse for how a team performs. We just weren’t so deep we could lose our best players and not have it effect the play on the field. Not possible.

We’ll get it right. Puig is just an example of how much better we are now that McHerpes is gone. Well, almost gone.

Some how, some way, I was able to pick up a phone conversation between Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp about midnight last night:

Kemp: Andre, this guy is going to take one of our jobs. He is a monster. He is doing what I should be doing and I cannot even get on the field.

Ethier: Matt, your job is safe. I am the one they will tear the uniform off of, and move as fast as they can. Maybe it is time to leave. I cannot compete with this guy.

Kemp: He is embarrassing both of us. What ticks me off is that he is getting pitches to hit I never saw.

Ethier: Wait a minute. You were served up those same pitches, you just have that blind spot and can’t see them.

Kemp: Hey, thanks a lot. I don’t need you on my case as well.

Ethier: When do you think the boss will have you go for rehab? You have to get the swing back in your groove.

Kemp: Soon I hope. Hey, your swing is looking better, last night I thought you were on the ball.

Ethier: But face it Matt, this guy Puig is a once in a generation thing. We just have to get back and get our time in. And if one of us get traded, then we deal with that, but the whole team has a new attitude. And Greinke was great last night . . . .

Ethier WILL hit. It’s just a matter of time.

Kemp WILL be back. It’s just a matter of time.

Crawford WILL also be back. It’s just a matter of time.

Ramirez WILL hit again. It’s just a matter of time.

Lilly sucks.

Mark, this is a suggestion to update the site.

The block on the right side with Dodger names in it . . . is really outdated now. Maybe take out some of the Dodgers gone, and add in the newer ones, not there for us to see.

Gone: DEWITT, BLAKE, STULTS, MCCOURT, FURCAL, SHERRILL, KURODA, LONEY, MCDONALD, SCHMIDT, SANDS, TORRE, BROXTON, LINDBLOM, CASTOR, PIERRE, M. RAMIREZ, HUDSON, WOLF, MARTIN, JACKSON, PAUL . . .

Just a thought . . .

Speaking of Jonathan Broxton…

since he left the Dodgers he has 54 saves, an ERA of about 2.4 and a 1.2 WHIP. Anyone think we could use those numbers this year in our pen? I know Mark LOVES the guy………………

I understand DePodesta could be available………..

I made that up just to elevate Mark’s blood pressure.

10. Mark Sweeney says:

I called out the “excitement” factor weeks ago, now you are all seeing what I meant about the need for excitment, exciting player(s) making exciting plays. It’s a must in all sports.

ONe more thing, none of you are Dodger fans, we are “Dodgers” fans. There isn’t a team that is called the Dodger, its the Dodgers. So it is not the Lo Angele Dodger, its the Los Angeles Dodgers. Just thought you should know.

Thanks for the correction.

So… Matt Kemp is not a Dodger. He is a Dodgers.

Sounds weird, but, you sure make it SOUND like you know what you are talking about.

11. Quasimodo says:

Badger, Mark did say Puig needed to break with the team. And I agreed with him. I wanted Kemp, Crawford and Ethier to remain with us also, even if he was bench it was clear that play time could of been provided. If ST serves any purpose beyond exercise and drills, one batting above .500 is a pretty good shout-out of where he belongs. You’re probably the biggest critic here about our bench saying how weak it is, then you didn’t agree with the solution. Rest, situation, and injuries demanded him on the roster at ready. I see your points. Those points were expressed by the majority of very knowledgeable people, who sometimes are wrong.

Wait a minute……

Are you saying that you think Puig could have received 4 at bats a game at the beginning of the year?

I disagree. With Crawford, Kemp and Ethier all cleared to start, there is no reason they should need ANY rest until summer. Look around the league, you think guys like Tulowitzki, Goldshmidt, Votto, Carpenter… there is a LONG list of starters that all have over 55 games and 200 at bats. Typically speaking, guys don’t start getting rests until mid summer. And THAT is EXACTLY what I said we should do with Puig. Give him 5 plate appearances EVERY night until it was time to rest our every day players. They are called every day players because they play every day. That is why we pay them $90K a night. They don’t make that kind of money to sit on their ass.

We may disagree on this, sounds like we do, but the Dodgers did the right thing with Puig.

12. Watford Dodger says:

I really enjoy the jousting on this site – much the best out there. It just shows that although we are all rabid Dodger fans we would all do things differently. We all like to play manager. Mark is simply pointing out what many of us said BEFORE the season started after ST – that Puig after posting those unbelievable figures HAD to be with the big team. Not hindsight but foresight. The last 4 days have obviously proved that to be correct. It is human nature to point out when you are right and not highlight it when you are wrong – it’s what we a do. Sometimes you have to put your hands up and say ‘ you were right about that’ and in this case those that wanted Puig in from the start were correct – 2 months in AA hasn’t made any difference, we can all see that. Hey we all get loads of predictions wrong but this was right.
    I think Ethier, Kemp & Crawford will come back strong and suddenly our bench & options from it will look much better. I was wrong about Schumacker as he’s been excellent last couple of weeks. The pitching now looks weak both starting & relief and I think that’s where Ned will look to trade. Keep up the jousting…

I think we will W.

So, you are all saying if you were the manager you would have benched Ethier in favor of an unproven bat flipping rookie.

I call bullshit on that.

Ethier is a Silver Slugger All Star that just signed a massive contract. You don’t bench him because some rookie had a decent Spring.

dw said it best yesterday. Hindsight is not foresight.

This is an interesting read:

Baseball IS a business, and the Guggs are somewhat involved in the insurance industry, maybe somebody other than me (I got some work to do today) can dig up some info on the Dodgers (not Dodger) contract insurance numbers. It would be interesting to know what kind of recovery would be possible if a guy like Crawford doesn’t play again.

15. Watford Dodger says:

I seem to remember a large ground swell of opinion pre season to trading Ethier and I was certainly not in that camp. Perhaps those guys were right but I think he’ll come good. He used to be our best Clutch hitter but I do think Puig could have been part of a 4 man outfield Tag Team especially with Kemp & Crawford coming off surgery and needing to sit now & then.
    I take the points about having his confidence knocked but whose to say that it wasn’t knocked by not making the team after posting those amazing ST figures.

16. Mark Sweeney says:

Say what you want, but if you got no excitement you got nothing but boredom. Ever had to listen to a speaker, if the the guy has an exciting manner then you stay involved and interested. If the guy comes across with no excitement then you get boredom. Excitement breeds energy and interest (as opposed to disinterest). What we had until the last three days has been a bored team which lacked excitement, energy and interest. Why did it take a 22 year old rookie to generate that? You’ve got to ask yourself that. Not every season is going to produce an exciting 22 year old rookie, so you have to get that excitement from other sources. Bottom line is it starts with the coaching staff (and GM to some extent).

I agree with Mark, Puig has saved Mattingly’s job for now, but should that be? Guggenshiser has to get serious about the true direction this club is taking and who is leading the charge (or lack there of). If I were Guggenshiser, Mattingly and Sned would still be let go immediately. But then again if I were Guggenshiser I wouldn’t be posting here either.

17. Jae says:

I have heard that someone on the Dodgers is about to be involved in a messy divorce scandal.

18. Mark Sweeney says:

make that last 4 days

19. Bobbie17 says:

Puig won’t last forever, so ride him like a mule and get back into this race.

20. Chuck says:

Hindsight is alway 20-20 and if you throw enough stuff out something might be right (just kidding boss). The moves management did all made sense. They had three VET outfielders who all make tons of money and MAY be healthy enough to kick some major A–. They had a great prospect that had served notice but they weren’t sure if it was a fluke. They sent the prospect to the minor to see if he was real (as well as buy them another year of control) and they played what seemed like their best hand in the outfield. Who would have known (though there were clues) that Kemp’s shoulder would take another year to heal (just ask Adrian and Hanley)and I guess they should have known that Crawford would only play around 100 games. The prospect needed at bats and the team need another year of control.

It was all logical.

21. jerry says:

so why did donnie sit HANLEY last night..he just got back…donnie has no idea of what a starting team should look like..we have not had a starting line this whole yrs..yes i no there was injury,but we need some kind of a starting line up and stick with it. urbie got hot ..donnie sits him..some one let me know why

Spirit in here today. I love it.

My chores are done. It’s already 90 degrees out there on the way to 100. Retired life. It’s good.

Still not gonna bother researching the Dodgers insurance policies.

We got two pretty good arms in the draft yesterday. Our system is looking better. And, we are in on that other Cuban pitcher – Gonzalez. I believe our future is bright.

Unless of course the Guggs are linked to some overseas financial bundle scandal. But, even then, too big to fail. They’ll recover.

I agree with W. (or would rather not be called that?) Ethier will come around. He didn’t suddenly forget how to hit. He did get suddenly filthy rich, so, let’s hope his ego is large enough to care.

jerry… I think Donnie does a lot of match-up study when he is making out a lineup. You know, maybe Hanley has hit a career .098 against Hudson kind of thing. Just guessing, but I do know he likes to try to out think the opposition. Sometimes he out thinks himself, but, he’s learning.

23. Quasimodo says:

That extra year contract control came at April 18th. That’s the only valid reason to not start Puig April 1st. I thought Dodgers would of been wise enough to have him here by May 1st. At any rate, I hope he made it here in time.

I don’t care predicted what. It won’t change a thing. I said sign Kuroda and don’t sign Harang/Cap. Who cares now. What’s done is done.

Fact is, we have our Mike Trout type impact rookie up. Let’s go with it. If a kid has to lead us, so be it!!

More importantly, and speaking of kids vs injured vets: SVS is now going to get a serious look with Crawford taking a vacation. I like how he’s progressed. He could be a late bloomer like Jason Werth, and I don’t want to make that mistake of losing another Werth. Props to B17 for always talking SVS up!!!

I also agree with Mark: our catching with FedX and AJ looks solid for years. If we can platoon them, it keeps em both fresh.

To me, Fife has shown that he’s more than capable of being a #5. Yes, he just got his first win, but it seems every time he pitches, he keeps us in games. Plus, we don’t need 4 lefties in the rotation (Kersh, Ryu, Cap, Lilly).

To me, it looks like Cruz is swinging a bit better. Not sure we need all of Cruz, Uribe, Shoemaker, Hairston, Punto, but they’re good guy vets and probably help keep the clubhouse in check.

25. Jae says:

Donnie was just resting Hanley. Bringing him along slowly. I think it is smart.

26. Mark Sweeney says:

Puig saved Cruz’z job as well. Cruz is Puig’s buddy, they aren’t going to do anything with Cruz now he’s safe. I do like Cruz’s defense, hitting not so good, but you can’t argue with his defensive abilities, good asset.

SVS has been impressing with bat, glove and arm. He isn’t as fast as Crawford but he is a superior OFer to him. Crawford is one of those guys that had a lot of speed and never had to really learn how to track a ball correctly and it costs him.

Well stated Chuck.

You got to wonder if Ethier is going to get it going, he has a perfect opportunity with Rhianna on the DL. All he has to do is look to his left if he needs any incentive to pull his head out of his ass. Unless something dramatically changes, Ethier will be playing on another team before next season begins.

27. Quasimodo says:

When the issue of 20+ players connected to one source of supply is an indicator that PED use is very likely spread across a wider field of players as there’s surely other sources that are yet to be discovered. This year PED use is more difficult than in the past to get away with and thus some users quit. Signs of this possibly being the case could be a drop in performance (a never ending struggle) that makes contract signings seem absurd. Players who had used PED’s and received large contracts and escape getting caught might feel guilty but have no regrets….at least no financial regrets. I’m a little suspect of some players I’ve cheered for.

28. Anonymous says:

Do not tell Ned that 41-year-old Henry Blanco was released today. He would sign him immediately.

Mark,

Your beloved Andy LaRoche was called up by Toronto. He is having a good year in AAAA.

29. DodgerDude says:

Uh, that was me.

I just read that Dude. He would be better than Hernandez, cheaper anyway, but, we really don’t need either do we?

I would think Puig would light a fire under Ethier. He has to know somebody out there is losing a job when Kemp and Crawford get back. Of course, he is set for life no matter what he does, so, perhaps that’s enough for him.

30. Gonzo says:

The Dodgers need to keep Puig at the MLB level and play him everyday. I think that the end game with McWho will be this, the NFL won’t do business with Guggenheim unless McWho is gone. Walter will then pay this weasel to go away. I also think that the city council will prohibit Guggenheim from developing anything at Chavez Ravine until Guggenheim owns every entity. So the million dollar question is what will it take for McFraud to go away.

As for the “S” after the Dodger, um is it safe to say Babe Ruth was the best Yankees of all time? Maybe Hank Aaron the best Braves. Or when Tommy says he bleeds Dodgers blue because the Big Dodgers in the sky allowed him to work for the Dodgers.

31. Mark Sweeney says:

Gonzo, so you’re telling me the Atlanta players are Brave player and New York players are Yankee and Met players, I don’t think so. If you need proof just read the front of the uniform. If you want to be accurate a player on Dodgers is a Dodgers player and a guy on the Braves is a Braves player. Really, just give it some thought. San Francisco guys are Giants players not Giant players. Wow, use of the lexicon has fallen to low, low standards.

So who is the best Dodgers of all time?

Beat me. I don’t knows. To pick only ones would be too difficults.

Does it really matter?

Remove stick from butt.

Maybe a list of 50 top Dodgers of all time. Or, 100 . . .

Then a list of, not so top Dodgers but in a key moment for all time list . . .

Gee, might give me something to think about falling asleep.

midgets vs. rat eaters tonight. Opportunity to gain some ground.

35. Bball says:

Badger you called it. Hanley out of lineup with tightness in hammy. Just keep him out till all star break

36. Rob says:

Sue Falsone must go!!!

Dang it.

If I can see this from my recliner how come the trainer cannot see this?

Agree Rob. We must enter the No Falzone.

38. Rob says:

I know this sounds a bit sexist but maybe the players don’t feel comfortable with a female trainer. I think it’s great that the dodgers hired the first female athletic trainer but maybe it’s time for the dodgers to be the team to fire the first female athletic trainer.

I keep wondering if this lady stresses stretching.

It’s absurd that we have so many hammy injuries. Our guys who aren’t playing should be spending the first 4 innings in the clubhouse doing the p90x stretch. Enough is enough!!

Everybody on this board knows the importance of stretching and flexibility. If we know it, professional athletes know it. These guys have had this drilled into their heads since Little League. What the hell is going on with this team?

I demand am independent investigation.

41. Rob says:

When 3 of your key guys go down with hamstring issues then it must be the training staff.

42. Rob says:

This Donaldson guy from the A’s is the real deal. I wish we had a 3rd baseman like that.

Yeah, I wonder if, because we have no real 3b prospect, Seager will soon move over to 3b?

Of course, our 3rd round pick was some 3b from Univ of Arizona..

44. Rob says:

Hernandez= rally killer!

45. Rob says:

Looks like a bullpen night. Braves are working the count unlike the dodgers who has Hernandez first pitch swinging.

46. Rob says:

Bad approaches at the plate, even Puig failed to work the count.

47. Bball says:

Why no uribe. It looks like Donnie is punishing uribe for finally working it out. Uribe should be playing. Donnie Donnie Donnie

48. Rob says:

Hairston has good numbers against Malholm. Big Mac needs to pull these players aside and tell them to stop swinging at the first pitch.

49. Rob says:

I hate Hernandez in the line up!!!

The best $42 mil Guggenheimer ever spent

Unreal. Just unreal.

52. Gonzo says:

MS, I won’t get involved in a spat about If one player is a Dodger or plays for the Dodgers, thats just semantics.

What the players need to do is run at least 1 mile a day backwards. Why do you think Hockey, Basketball and footbal players rarely get hamstring injuries? By running backwards one uses the muscles differntly. Come on Falsone.

53. Rob says:

I take the Hernandez comments back

54. Gonzo says:

After watching Puig play these past few games batting wise he remnds me of Frank Thomas and how he followed through. I see he uses the Charlie Lau/ Walt Hrniak approach, not that he studied them or anything but the fundamentals look the same to me.

55. Rob says:

This finally has some swagger!

56. Jason says:

Keep.
    Puig.
    Away.
    From.
    Falsone.

Didn’t gain ground on the leaders (damn snakes) but only 4 back of the midgets. Would love to pass them before the All Star break.

Sure would be nice to see a little more offense then just Yassy Puig and the 25 Outs. Feels like this team will only mark time until Kemp, Crawford and Ramirez return. A rookie won’t carry this team to the finish line. We don’t have the pitching to hold teams to 1 or 2 runs every night.

Kemp will come back in a week, but not Crawford. Oh well. Maybe we won’t need him. And please don’t give me the same old story about what a terrible signing that was. It’s insured. Besides, Jed can’t be blamed for that contract.

I suggested that many months ago. I would do that deal, but it emphasizes how stupid Guggs and company is. They have to pay Hardy AND Ethier to get Hardy. Felony Stupid!

I\’m not sure Crawford\’s contract is covered by insurance.

Neither am I. But it would be felony stupid if an insurance broker didn’t have insurance on assets.