Pull the Trigger, Ned!

I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not encouraging Ned Colletti to blow his brains out.  That’s not the import of this.  However, I do know some fans who… never-mind!

There’s certainly nothing to talk about with this team’s inability to hit, so let’s focus on what the team needs to do to get better offensively.

It’s obvious that Andre Ethier needs a change of scenery.  It’s also obvious, as clutch as Mark Ellis is, he is only a part time player.  I think he’s perfect as a sub and pinch hitter.  In fact, he could be an excellent pinch hitter for a couple of more years.  Skip Schumaker is also an excellent sub, even if his infield defense is suspect.

I have suggested this in the past and I will suggest it again – Daniel Murphy to the Dodgers for  Joc Pederson, Elian Herrera and Alex Castallanos.   The Mets need a young hot outfielder and Pederson fits the bill.

Andre Ethier (and however many million the Dodger have to eat to get it done – probably 30 to 40 million) and Dee Gordon then get traded to Baltimore for JJ Hardy.  Would Baltimore so that?  Probably.

This is a perfect time to trade for an experienced SS and explain to Hanley that 3B is a lot easier on his hammy and that the Dodgers need his awesome bat in the lineup (that’s the way you talk to Hanley).

As soon as Kemp and Crawford are healthy, here’s the lineup:

1. Kemp  CF (tell him to just get on base – he goes back to #3 next year)
  2. Crawford  LF
  3. Ramirez  3B
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Puig  RF
  6. Murphy  2B
  7. Hardy  SS
  8. Ellis/Fed-EX  C

Subs:  Schumaker, Ellis, Punto, Uribe, Hairston, Van Slyke (one of the first five will always be on the DL).

If that team can’t hit, I don’t know what to say.  Defense should be solid too.

Change is good.  Pull the trigger, Ned!

You surely know the definition of insanity…

168 Responses to “Pull the Trigger, Ned!”

1. the truth hurts says:

This is laughable. Hanley pinch hits and limps to first base after the RBI single. Kershaw comes into run for Hanley? The way these injuries are piling up, why risk anything that could happen to CK on the base paths? We almost lost Puig for the year last night diving into first.

The early is excuse is over, the wait until this team is healthy excuse is over because this team will never be healthy, nor will it ever score runs. If it will be healthy, WHEN?!?! August 1st when we are 15 back?

Kemp will come back and still suck. Crawford and Hanley will be on and off the DL. Ethier will continue to bat .220-.230 and take up space. Agon is due a DL trip, wait for it….

1-8 trying to win 3 games in a row. We win walk offs with wild pitches.

We have Magill pitching today, OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Someone needs to bless this mess before I watch anymore of this train wreck.

Take a deep breath…

;)

Agree about Mark Ellis, and have said as much many times.

“Daniel Murphy to the Dodgers for Joc Pederson, Elian Herrera and Alex Castallanos.”

I would do that. Murphy can hit, play all over the field and is in the middle of his most productive years. I would have liked to have him last year at age 27. I believe I said that – last year.

I thought that trade to Balmore was interesting the first time I read it. Why throw in a AAA All Star with 60 SB capability? If you do that, then don’t swallow so much salary or get another prospect back. Hardy is ok, but, he ain’t all that. Straight up trade sounded fine with me. Ethier in AL would get back to his 3+ WAR. Hardy will NEVER do that in L.A.. Remember, no bats come to Los Angeles and improve.

“the wait until this team is healthy excuse is over because this team will never be healthy”

I respectfully disagree truth, but certainly understand why you would say that.

“We are not going to win games with Cruz (yes, I was a fan an am eating crow), Schumaker, Punto, Hairston, Ethier, Uribe, FedEX or essentially ANYONE in our lineup not named PUIG. Mark Ellis IS a part time player. He is a poor mans second baseman.” truth

Agree with most of that. Mark Ellis still has a +dWAR, but his days as a starter are long gone. The rest of those guys? I have said it before, Punto, Hairston and Shcu are the same guy. It sucks the same guy takes up 3 roster spaces. Think how bad it could be if Uribe was what he was the last two years.

Somebody tell me what this team’s record is in 1 run games this year. We are 5-5 in our last 10 and have only lost .5 games in the standings in the last 20. With all the bullsh*t this team has faced, I don’t think that’s so bad.

As Andy Van Slyke morphs back into his son[6 for 33] and the infirmary filled to the brim, the outfielder we should try to move in season is Carl Crawford.
    Love him and he can swing it but he has DH written all over his face. He reminds me of that game a couple years back with Aubrey Huff making a fool of himself trying to play OF for the Dark Force.
    Yes Andre sucks but he can adequately play defense and you would have to think he will get it going.
    If we need to move dre, the offseason would be a better time. With our anemic offense, defense becomes a premium and we can ill-afford giving up unearned runs because we have a DH impersonating a MLB outfielder.

5. RogerCraig says:

You would have to eat $60 or $70 million to get anyone to bite on Crawford. The Dodgers will only have to eat $3o million or do to move Andre.

6. jerry says:

kemp ..kemp..kemp…i think is was a one time player.every thing about his game as gone..his speed..his glove..and his hitting.

They said the same thing about Tiger.

Kemp is only 28. He has plenty of time to get it back jerry. I believe he will.

7. Quasimodo says:

Hey Mr. Russel, don’t know if you’re still reading here everyday, but if you are I just wanted to give greetings and say it was good seeing you yesterday (from my living room). Friends, the loss yesterday was not much fun and all, but it sure wasn’t enough to turn that negative switch back on. There’s a fair chance we won’t get the wild Magill for today’s game, and vs D-Backs we’ll have our #1,#2 and #3. Love these day games.

8. Dave says:

I gotta say , doesnt the bat boy have a number on his jersey , that being BB but isnt it a safer move to put BB on first than CK to pinch run i do believe thats a very risky move!! asking clayton to pinch run , to say it struck me odd was a understatement , come on that BB looks legite to me just a young callup ! i mean heck hes in the dugout utilize him !

Here’s the problem with J.J. Hardy. Lifetime .259 hitter with lifetime .313 OBP. And whatever power he has exhibited in Milwaukee and Baltimore (both good HR parks) will likely disappear in the expansive NL West ballparks. Just long fly balls in those venues.

Unlike the vast majority around here, I still haven’t lost faith in Dee Gordon. But that aside, there are still probably lots better alternatives that J.J. Hardy even if Gordon doesn’t pan out. I wouldn’t do that deal.

I haven’t watched much of the Mets lately, but I’ve always liked Daniel Murphy. I’d do that deal. I also believe that Ken Rosenthal suggested the other day (for whatever it’s worth), that the Mets could be interested in Ethier, since they’re clearing payroll after this year (no more Johan Santana and no more Jason Bay). So maybe Ethier for Murphy, and if the Mets are willing to take on more contract, we throw in Pederson. Of course, I hate throwing in players I haven’t seen much of, but what the heck, I’d do that deal. And they can have Elian Herrera and Castellanos, since I don’t think either of them is going amount to much.

I haven’t picked anything up about Hanley that suggests he ever was bad Hanley, and I suspect that there is no special way to talk to him, at least nothing any more special than how you would talk to any other player. If asked to go back to 3B, I don’t think Hanley would have a problem.

10. Rob says:

Can we please get another call up other then magill, this kid can’t throw strikes.

I still think something should be worked out with one of the Texas teams. Andre is from Arizona. He’s a West guy. Those two ballparks are very inviting for a hitter like him. The problem is – until the deadline we are negotiating from a point of weakness. Everybody knows we are backed into a corner at this time. If we could hold out maybe ‘dre could put a few hits together and more teams would be interested. We don’t want to dump this guy. We want to trade him.

I’m still hopeful about Gordon too Brooklyn. I just wonder if he doesn’t need a change of scenery. Albu doesn’t appear to be preparing him.

12. Rob says:

Wtf is Cruz doing in the lineup? Is uribe hurt?

Rob… there are 27 outs in a ballgame. Somebody has to make their share of them.

I think Uribe pulled a ham sandwich.

13. Rob says:

I guess that fifth spot is perfectly suited for a Donnie line up.

4 more unearned runs? Really?

This may be the worst defensive team the Dodgers have ever had.

I can’t even remember all of the injuries and lack-of performance players on this team so far this year; so I looked at the 40 man roster:

Becket

Poor season:
    Cruz
    Sellers
    Uribe
    Herrera
    Ethier

OKAY, my head hurts again.

So all that Ned does to make the team better, is to have Van Slyke hitting 4th and Cruz hitting 5th. Also, calls up again Magill to pitch and he is so shaky . . .

So, Dodgers try to work out of it, call up players, send players to the doctor.

More games than not, the Dodgers have put out a lineup that was a Spring Training lineup.

We fans deserve better. Oh, somebody slow Puig down, he is about to run into problems with his hurry up on the bases approach.

16. Rob says:

This line up sucks! I would rather lose seeing some new young guys play. Cruz must go, Hernandez must go, eithier needs to be traded, and Lilly with Beckett needs to retire.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see AGon get 4 walks today. I know with who is behind him I wouldn’t pitch to him.

18. Rob says:

I hope this game keeps magill from another call up.

19. Rob says:

You can pitch to him now with a 7-1 lead.

20. Bball says:

Should of left him in to eat innings. Little late Donnie num nuts

midgets have a rookie CFer that looks pretty good.

22. Rob says:

Two steps forward ten steps back.

Mercifully, I didn’t watch the game today. Based on the boxscore (not always the best source of info.) I have the following observations:

Magill may someday be a good pitcher. But that will only happen when/if he gets command. Six walks in 3.2 innings will not get it done. Not only is he missing the strike zone, but I imagine, when he does throw strikes he’s likely not hitting his spots. He has the stuff, but like real estate, pitching is location, location, location. He apparently needs more seasoning.

Maybe it’s time to give Zach Lee a look see.

SVS is down to .221. Looking more and more like last year. He has definite power, but then, so did Rob Deer. Forget the .397 at ALBQ. By now we should all know that PCL stats cannot be trusted. Puig had 3 more hits, including 2 doubles. Maybe he’ll do a reversal and be a complete flop. But really, in the long run I’m guessing he’s for real. Just his arm alone is worth the price of admission. Of course, we’re going to be seeing fewer and fewer of those throws, because sooner or later nobody will be running on him.

Hanley and Kemp with hammy setbacks. Crawford also had one earlier. Apparently the Dodgers brass/medical staff doesn’t learn, and keeps on trying to rush players back before they’re physically ready.

24. Dave says:

Heck red patterson pitched in magills spot for topes today 6inn 1h 0runs 0bb 9ks have a go at it red, ned call ole red up give it go what the heck ya got to loose , lol unreal !

25. Bob Young says:

70 year old Dodger fan[named my first dog Duke after Snider].Mark, I enjoy reading your perceptive thoughts concerning my Dodgers. What in the hell is going on with their medical/training staff? We have to be the worst conditioned team in all of professional sports!

• Dave says:

Actually bob there probably over conditioned , and then the hurricane hit its a abnormality in life and baseball it is what it is ! or like a fe5 tornado taking out the same neighbor hood in ten years doesnt happen but has , that about sums it up !!!!!!

26. Dave says:

Ya no mark , your being polite yep fill the chamber point it and shoot at ned , this is a non belief system and it starts within neds concepts of implementing , something system wide is not being confirmed and understood, let alone implemented . Time to throw the book away if there was one, and start over , troop moral is important and i dont see heart or trust , moral is on its own accord dangerous very dangerous , theres only so much duct tape in a role and the train is going 200 mph , duct only good for a 100 mph , heck logistics kill ya every time !!!!! let alone the end of the track !!!!! its a same page thing its just not there self inflicted !

Carl Crawford, Mark Ellis, Matt Kemp, Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, Andre Ethier, AJ Ellis actually sounded like a pretty good core group at the beginning of the year. How many games have they been on the field together? Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Billingsley, with Capuano, Harang, Lilly fighting it out for the 5th spot. The bullpen looked like it could be the best in the west. How has that worked out?

Yeah, it’s a mess now. No doubt about it. That lineup today looked like a Split Squad Spring Training game.

Will this last all year? Yeah, I guess it actually could.

I remain hopeful it won’t.

28. Rob says:

I agree badger, this line up looked like the line up we had when we were no hit by the mariners last year. You would think with the money invested in this roster someone would be fired but I guess the ownership thinks things are just peachy.

29. Bob Young says:

Dave, there is too much smoke! Has to be a fire! I live in Middle Tennessee and remember the job that Stan did with the Braves. There is no doubt in my mind that his patience is wearing thin. A house cleaning is on the western horizon!

• Dave says:

When clayton kershaw pinched ran for rameriz yesterday that move was the deciding factor for me ! Bob somethings on the horizon !!!! cause right now its nothin but fog horns with no gps systems on board !

30. jerry says:

i mention last week the fifh was better then magill..and every one on here kept say cant wait for magill to have another start..well he got one., i dont think the dodger no a good player if the saw one.

What would you do? Pull the trigger on what? No matter what deal is done now, it’s done out of desperation. Most of us in here who have been around a while have plenty of experience of operating out of desperation. Many a bone headed move is made when a man is desperate. No matter what is done now, we still have Ramirez and Kemp on the DL, Billingsley out til next year and Lilly and Capuano not pitching well. If Ethier does not have a hot streak very soon, he is worthless in trade What can you get for a .235 hitter with an $85 million contract. The only guy who would take that player is the guy you are asking to pull the trigger!

We need to calm down and play this out. If it’s not better by the deadline, then make a move. Heck, that move may be to sell. If we are still in last place on July 31st then, yeah, I would be fine with selling and starting over. I just don’t believe that will be the case.

32. Watford Dodger says:

This really is unbelievable. In reality to take two games from Atlanta with our line up under normal circumstances would be good but we are so far back it seems disappointing. I can sense that even Badger is losing the faith. Lets be honest he is right in that we need to see our best team/players out there before we make a call on their collective ability as a team but that situation is NEVER going to happen this season. So much bad luck with injuries means that although we will win the odd game it will be impossible to string enough wins together to get back in the race. As players come back they will obviously have no form either. We can blame conditioning or Quentin or Ned or Donnie but its probably a little of all of those but ultimately it’s mainly plain old bad luck.
    This upcoming series against a slumping Arizona should be massive but even if we take the series we don’t have enough quality players to follow it up on the road. The players are trying but there is no momentum and in their heart of hearts they know what we know – the season is done. Perhaps we should use what remains of the reason to have a good look at all the players you guys keep proposing in here to see where we stand for next season.
    Perhaps we can unload some dead wood for some prospects by trade.
    Sorry for the long post but t I think I’m using this as a form of closure for me this season.

It’s the same old song and dance; one step forward, two steps back

I am not losing faith. There is 7 weeks to the deadline. A lot can happen in 7 weeks.

I am just saying that if we don’t have our first team out there by that time, it could very well be time to do something different.

The title of this thread is “pull the trigger” – which frankly bothers me, but, I didn’t write it so I’ll try to go with it. OK, make a deal with New York for Murphy. Then the lineup Mark presents to us has Carl Crawford, Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez in it. And THAT is the key to this season. If those three guys don’t show up this year, and by that I mean show up and play like they are paid, this team will not make the play-offs.

The midgets bats have suddenly come alive.

The dbacks have the same streak going that we do – lost 2 in a row, 5-5 in their last 10. The difference with them of course is they have all their guys in the lineup. Big series coming up.

36. Pete M. says:

After sifting painfully thru the above demise of the blue and total insurrection of mgmt., there is always Badger to bolster my hope. I’m a big Mark Ellis fan (he aint getting younger of healthier), but I jump on the Murphy deal.
    But why don’t we bring up Joc P. today and keep our fingers crossed and showcae the kid to the NYM and whomever??? Anyhow, I want to check him out and see what the chances are of a 2014 OF of Joc – Kemp – Puig would be…

Murphy and Pederson would definitely give the lineup a different look. Just checked, Pederson’s last 33 at bats aren’t all that – a .710 OPS, no home runs and 2 RBI’s. It looks to me like the minor leaguers the team deems ready enough are already here. And you can see the result.

Albuquerque needs to be dumped. If we can’t trust the players we have at AAA to come up and help, why do we have that team? The numbers there mean squadush.

With Uribe now seemingly unavailable, how about an infield of Punto, Schu and Gordon? Yeah, I know, but Cruz just puts me to sleep.

This might cause some to run to the liquor cabinet:

I don’t know what to say at this point. It’s all been said. All we can do is hope this team marks time until the deadline. We are still only 7.5 back. Again, we have only lost a half game in the standings in the last 25 games or so. Could be worse.

37. Watford Dodger says:

David Freese is a player I’ve always admired – seems like The Cards maybe willing to trade him?

38. Mark Sweeney says:

Sit down folks! Over the last 7 days, our top three batters (hitting %) are PUIG, SCREWMACHER, and CRUZ. Yeah we’ve got some real problems, our 4th best hitter over that time span is GONZO (.250). Yeah we’ve got problems, real problems.

So besides our training staff ineffectiveness, are we suffering from some batting coach ineffectiveness? Let’s see our best hitter, PUIG, just arrived and hasn’t been contaminated yet and has a crazy batting average. The rest of the team may get some hits, but they can’t produce WRISP, now why is that? Is it a team-wide approach to at-bats or is it just a season-long coincidence? I know some like to just keep throwing our the mantra “It will get better, just keep doing the same thing and it will get better”, I don’t subscribe to a season-long coincidence that is team-wide. There is much more going on than just a simple(ton) evaluation and solution. Change is in order, it’s past the time to wait, the season is 2 1/2 months old.

Again…. WHAT WOULD YOU DO!

Just howling about what is and offering nothing but “change for change sake” does not help a bit in what can be done about it.

‘sweeenie, do you REALLY believe firing the batting coach is going to help a lineup like we put on the field yesterday afternoon? Who is going to come in here and teach .200 hitters how to hit .300 in a few weeks?

I’m listening.

40. Bobbie17 says:

Forget the trades. They will make no difference, except get rid of more young players. This team will finally have to learn its lesson the hard way. There is no substitute for player development. Period. It ebbs and flows, but over the long haul, it is the only thing that works. The cupboard is bare. It will be 5 years, at least, before this team is any good. Be resigned to the Padres being better during that time. And the Giants. And the Rockies. And the D’backs. Etc. .500 will be good. Hopefully, during that time someone will learn how to draft, teach, train and manage. Don’t get your hopes up. It’s not that easy. Just putting on the uniform won’t do it.

Just looked at the All-Star voting.

In the N.L. — of the 39 top voters in for all of the positions — NOT ONE Dodgers is even listed. I repeat, no one. The most obvious one would be 1B, but so far: Votto, Goldschmidt, Belt, Craig, & Freeman. That is it.

I am shocked that voters are not writing in Cruz. He needs to be the 3B starter.

42. Rob says:

This will be a wasted year and our hope would be next year. Kemp will need time to get his power back, we have pretty much every player with a hammy injury, and our rotation is in shambles. With a few tweaks and a few signing next year we might be in the mix.

This COULD be a wasted year. That is a distinct possibility.

But, look at Mark’s lineup that started this thread and imagine all those guys playing and playing well. We have arguably the best 1-2-3 starting pitchers in the West. There are 100 games left, we could win 60 of them and end up with 87 wins. Enough? eh, prolly not, but it would make it interesting.

Or, if at the deadline we still suck, reboot.

There are 43 games left to the deadline. Why don’t we just see what happens between now and then, and that time, make the reasoned decision on the direction of this franchise.

In the mean time, these modest hitters have a real opportunity in front of them. They could make or break their entire careers in the next 43 games. Let’s see how they handle the pressure.

Still not sure in my mind, that it is the power Kemp is lacking –

I think it is also, he is not meeting the ball square on the sweet part of the bat.

Bundes of ground out, popups — not much of squaring up and getting good wood.

He did one game with a very long foul ball down the left field foul line — and it was foul — it was away out there.

And he went yard to right field.

You’re right, he is not squaring up the ball. Might be pitch selection, might be weakness in his swing. Whatever it is, it’s obvious.

I wish he would go to a shorter, lighter bat and for a few weeks just try to go back through the middle with a line drive. It’s amazing what happens when you do that. All of a sudden that ball is being driven to a gap.

Remember the pepper drills we used to do as kids? We even did it with a fungo bat. Remember those? The idea was to find the center of the bat with the center of the ball and control it to the left, to the center and to the right. We did it for several minutes EVERY practice in every league I played in. In my opinion, that is what Kemp needs to do – and do lots of it.

Chris Nelson just showed up on the radar.

He is perfect for the Dodgers. Another Punto/Schumaker clone. Lose Cruz and to with Puntnelsomaker. Nelsuntomaker? Schuntolson?

Got Madmen recorded. I’m heading to my recliner.

46. jerry says:

badger….when we have runners in scoreing postion…seem to me they all try to hit it hard..i watch other teams ..just stick the bat out there and let it do the work. shorten up there swing and let it happen..even mark ellis. swang at a pitch up and in..and swing as hard as he could..

Not shockingly, Yasiel Puig won NL Player of the Week honors.

Question: has anyone ever been player of the week in their very first week ever??

Yesterday Van Slyke is up, bases loaded, early in game — I am thinkin’, blow these guys out of the water.

Van Slyke takes the first two pitches right down Broadway / the pike / over the heart of the plate. Then fouls off a pitch, then a low ball, then a high ball, foul ball (seemed outside), another foul, another ball == 3 &2 now. Now he makes contact, ground ball to third base — force out at home. One out, bases still loaded.

And Cruz up, hitting in the 5th place. Takes a strike, ball, ball, foul back (isn’t this fun!), ball down a away = 3 & 2 – another foul ball (93 mph), “swung on a missed.” Two outs. Bases still loaded.

Schumaker up, takes a strike, foul ball, ball high and away, swings . . . little roller up third about 70 feet . . . safe, run home . . .

For Van Slyke — The two best pitches were those first two. These are our guys . . . last place team going no where.

Just re-watched all of this on the MLB video of the game – Media Player.

Bases loaded you go up there looking for a fastball down the middle. If you aren’t ready for that one you do not belong in the Show.

Justin Sellers coming back. That should help. (sigh)

Puig hitting clean up. Wonder if he will have anyone to drive in tonight. Drive in tonight. Reminds me of my senior year in high school.

I got nothin’ else.

51. Quasimodo says:

Yeah Bobby, Manny Machado won player of the week in his 1st week.

Magill looks like he has promise as a pitcher.

But I believe, he does not believe in his stuff. He has the pitches, but in the major league games — he looses his belief in his stuff, and stays away from his game.

Heck, go after the hitters — and it they hit your brains out — so be it, but do not walk 6 guys out of fear. That gets you send down.

When Kersh came up, he walked way too many guys, and it was frustrating.

But, when he threw strikes, you saw the electric stuff. Magill obviously doesn’t have the electric stuff, but you can see if he’d cut down his balls….. well what i mean to say is he has good stuff, and he can be a good quality starter with his stuff.

Sellers was hitting .337 at ALBQ. What other proof do we need of the worthlessness of PCL numbers? I imagine it’s only temporary until the Dodgers decide what to do with Ramirez. If Ramirez isn’t disabled, chances are that Sellers won’t be around when the Dodgers need to call up a pitcher, hopefully not Magill, who is clearly not ready.

55. Idaho al says:

I cannot believe Sellers was brought up. Another player who cannot hit. Colletti is a genius.

56. Bball says:

Tonight just walk glody please

Kershaw missing his spots in the second.

Ethier hits one on the scews right at Parra.

Some luck would be nice.

If Kershaw doesn’t find his command he won’t go 7.

C-l-a-y-t-o-n where have you gone with your out stuff ???

60. Rob says:

Other then Puig, we have had alot of solo HR’s this year.

61. Idaho al says:

We are in the bottom of the 8th with a 3-1 lead. However, we have to see what we have with League. It could be good or bad. Even when Kershaw is not on, he is still very competitive.

62. Quasimodo says:

Well I’d guess that ump was sleeping in class.

63. Rob says:

I think we are the only team in the league who could have the bases loaded and no out and still not score, how pathetic!

64. my boy blue says:

League makes me nervous

65. Quasimodo says:

Yeah Badger, its high time. The technology has passed the worth of tradition where so many umpires have polluted present day.

66. my boy blue says:

Paco for closer, I am sick of League

67. Quasimodo says:

Okay, I’m finally joining DM haters group. He’s been too damn stubborn with his trust of the so called closer League. I don’t get it!

68. Idaho al says:

League is our closer because Colletti signed him as our closer. Mattingly has no choice. I said before, I saw him pitch in Seattle and he was very inconsistent and they got rid of him. He had one good year and that is all.

69. Watford Dodger says:

Out of his league.

70. Rob says:

Fucking Brandon league, Donnie better not leave him as the closer after this bullshit. Bad team management.

71. Bball says:

Who didn’t see that coming. Shit man

72. Rob says:

If Donnie is leaving him in as the closer just because Ned signed him Donnie needs to go tomorrow with Ned.

73. my boy blue says:

League should not be closing games,

74. Rob says:

I feel like I just wasted my time watching this game just to see league as usual blow a game.

75. my boy blue says:

Get Coleeti the fuck out along with League and DM. What the fuck has Ned done to keep that position. Name one great acquisition with the exception of Puig.

76. Quasimodo says:

Mattingly had several choices. If he was to decide to have Janson continue, do you think we’d be in this fuckin mess?

77. my boy blue says:

This is a mess, 4 fucken runs in the 9th

78. Rob says:

Kersh, even though you didn’t have your best stuff you did a great job. You should take a hammer and break leagues pitching hand so he can never blow a game again!

Yeah, this shit is getting real old. Worst defensive team in the league, and lead the Majors in losing leads.

Would anyone blame Kershaw if he said wants out of here? He can make bank anywhere. If I were him, I would seriously consider going home.

80. Idaho al says:

I have said before on these post that League is too inconsistent to be a good closer. Jansen needs to be the closer. I hope Mattingly has the courage to make the move.

81. Quasimodo says:

Mattingly insisted on losing this one. League must be his bastard son and his guilt keeps giving the worthless excuse of a closer more and more rope.

82. my boy blue says:

Why the fuck do I waste my time with this team

83. Rob says:

Donnie elects to go with a set up guy and a closer instead of going with a set up guy by committee and a closer. Look at the midgets, they use different guys in the 8th and then bring in Romo. Jansen should be closing, period!

84. Bball says:

Showing heart and saying fuck you to league. I’m proud of them. Now bring it home boys

85. Bball says:

Please no double play please no double play

86. my boy blue says:

Get him in!!!

87. my boy blue says:

wow!!! Bases loaded last inning coulnt get the guy in, man on 3rd we cant get him in. Lets go gonzalez

88. Bball says:

Lineup is just to weak guys. Plain and simple. Dang I thought we might of came back. Well goodnight everyone. I’m going to bed after another loss. This is by far the most disappointing team I’ve ever watched.

89. Rob says:

That actually made me feel worse. Runner on first and third with no outs and the top of your order up and can’t even get the guy in, fire everybody!!!

90. Quasimodo says:

Mattingly is totally clueless when it comes to managing a bullpen. What a fuckin dope!

91. my boy blue says:

Fuck League, Ned, and DM. Good Night

I don’t know I have ever seen anything like this. What needs to go wrong to lose a game does go wrong. Horseshit call by a lazy ump, 4 GIDP’s, ball hits off the heel of Ellis’ glove, great catch by Parra, and can’t get it done with runners on the corners in the 9th.

Donnie? Donnie didn’t make this happen. League is the closer, signed for three years by Jed. 6+ ERA but somehow he is actually now 13 for 17 in close opportunities. What you gonna do with him?

This team is currently snake bit. 4 runs in the top of the 9th on a night Kershaw worked his ass off without his best stuff. He needs to go 8, then let Jansen finish it.

This was a 2 game swing in one inning. I’m bummed. We’re all bummed. 38, 275 people paid good money to watch that crap.

93. Watford Dodger says:

That was the worst defeat ever.

94. Watford Dodger says:

And we’ve been waiting 3 years for Uribe to get hot & when he does Donnie doesn’t play him.
    Think Donnie wants to go home.

95. Rob says:

That is the problem with donnie, he sits guys who have been hitting (except for Hernandez) and expects crappy hitters (cruz) to get hot. I know Donnie doesn’t hit or throw pitches but he has caused this team to lose a ton of games.

96. Dave says:

Thats exactly right badger the only guy who would take that trade, hum !!! isnt that the problem this years a wash , im talkin about coming to are senses with a balanced approach and not shooting your wad and being smart , protecting you self from train wrecks. What ever happens from here on out thats positive will not have balance its a anomaly of good luck, lets just move in a solid safer approach to leave more outs for positive ins thats all im sayin !!!!!! youve payed closer attention over the years than i but im rather baffled how one can leave themselves this vulnerable , theres safer better options !!!!! present the philosophy sellit , implement it , be smart not money strong patience ! isnt consistency what this games about ? wheres that approach business wise in protecting the assets acquired ?

97. Rob says:

Donnie took that spark provided by Puig and poured a bucket full of water on it.

98. Dave says:

Im tellin ya badger its in the air , theres not a come together we as one concept, its “ya i hope i do good tonight i hope they dont hit me, what am i gonna eat after the game” No respect for the team its a non team performing team , self inconsistency serving mentality and it is not being addressed you gotta get guys that believe like kersh gamer leader jack of all trades at all times maybe thats why Donnie pitch ran him the other day send a msg , i dont agree with it but ya gotta get on the same page in a belief system its just not there and other teams smell it big time there hungary in all the other teams especially against la you can see it !!!!! have a open bitch session and get it out of them let them as individuals speek there mind ya gotta find a way to flush there crap and direct them together its not a cohesive group !

99. Quasimodo says:

We saw how League was credited with a win where he tried to blow the game last time stealing Kershaw’s win. He gave up runs on Kershaw’s lead and the Dodgers came back. Credit wrongly went to League. Geez!

100. Quasimodo says:

This was the most pathetic loss I’ve seen.

101. jerry says:

i turned the tv off when league came in..he just cant get outs.

102. Quasimodo says:

No Dave, we saw Dodgers put a great effort into action in tonight’s game. Only to have their efforts robbed from them with piss-poor managerial bullpen decision. The team played well. Even Uribe came through. The loss wasn’t the team. And that’s what makes it so sick.

103. Rob says:

I am sure many of you will do the same as I will and continue to watch this train wreck night after night. To all of my fellow Dodgers fans who have hung in there, you deserve better.

104. Quasimodo says:

Hey Mark, what happened to all the posts?

105. Rob says:

League blew the server Quas.

106. Watford Dodger says:

Like that Rob – very good.
    Still can’t believe we lost that with so many chances to score more runs.
    We are absolutely hopeless with RISP.
    Sellars pinch hitting?
    League still closing?
    One minute we’re 6.5 back – the next 8.5 back. PATHETIC.

Yep W. That was a huge 3 outs that weren’t got.

Mattingly gives a good explanation in the Times this morning. There was a statistical reason he went the way he did. And some how League had League had converted 13 of 16 save opps before last night, even with an ERA over 6. Personally I don’t pin this one on Donnie. The Dodgers had a chance to blow it open and did not do it. As you know, their record in 1 run games is pretty bad. (guess I’ll have to look it up myself)

Have to wonder how a game like this one affects the team psyche.

For what it’s worth, prolly not much, both dbacks tv announcers were going off on how the team was “decimated” by key injuries with Brenly saying they had a better team on the DL than they do on the field and if they ever get everybody back they would be a team to recon with. Pretty much exactly what I have been saying. No wonder I like him so much as an announcer. I know he probably would not be interested in the Dodgers manager job but we could sure do worse.

You just have to close these kind of games when you get the chance.

• Kevin says:

Oh come on badger wake up! I usually agree with your posts but this L is ABSOLUTELY on mattingly.

Wake up?

That’s rather harsh. With all those pitchers having thrown the day before what does your 20/20 hindsight tell you what YOU would have done?

League blew the save. shit happens

108. Idaho al says:

Last night’s loss has to hurt. You wonder how the Dodgers are going to react this evening with Greinke on the mound. I hope Kershaw will sign this fall with the Dodgers. I would not blame him if he left the Dodgers. I do not think you can bring League in late in the game. He has to be a 6th inning relief pitcher with Belisario, Rodriguez, and Jansen in the 7th, 8th, and 9th. Another poor signing (Leaague) by Colletti.

I watched till the bitter end.

So Donnie now claims he uses “stats and reason” and his experience as a manager to make these decisions as the manager.

Well, maybe it is time to re-group and try some other approach.

This process has the Dodgers in last place in the division.
    In the last 10 games, they are 4 & 6 == that goes no where but down.
    Your ace was used up last night, he struggled but held them back.
    Your Cuban slugger got 3 hits.

But — Donnie boy, you were playing the 1st PLACE TEAM. They are 6 & 4 for the last 10 games. So in a week my math adds us to 2 more games behind than there was a week ago.

Right now there are 6 other teams in all of the major leagues, playing worse ball than the Dodgers. OR, 23 teams playing better than the Dodgers.

Since the starters just pitch about once a week; maybe they should relieve each other more often. Like Ryn coming in in the 9th.

Don’t like that — well we don’t like Donnie’s “stats and reason” approach.

Well the Dodgers did hold Goldschmidt to 1 hit. That is something.

On hits, the Dodgers out hit the D-Backs 14 to 11.

Kemp sure looked on the bench in the 9th last night like he wanted one shot at the D-Backs.

Last night put a period on how THIS ROSTER OF PLAYERS cannot do it. Time for the owners to re-group and change the deck chairs in their clubhouse. Something has to happen.

Take a look at the bullpen schedule that MSTI posts every day. It was League’s “turn” to come out of the bullpen. The worse news about that is, Bellsario was off yesterday so it might be his turn today.

This bullpen should be better than it has been. Those guys down there all have good arms. What is going on with them? Even League has strung together 5 straight years of reasonable numbers. Last year for us he looked very good. He sure as hell is not a 6+ ERA pitcher.

This first half is as bad a first half as I can remember. Maybe DePodesta’s second year could be measured against it as far as injuries are concerned, but even then it wasn’t our best players that went down.

Very strange. But I think it’s time to look for a new GM. I don’t know what is going on in the upper offices, but everybody below has lost confidence in Jed.

OK, one step at a time. We had ‘em beat last night. Let’s do it again.

Andy LaRoche is sent down for assignment . . . sign him Ned. That would take the cake.

111. Quasimodo says:

Naw, this one is all on Mattingly. And I say that because I never trusted League and thus was never comfortable when he was brought in. I’m certain Mattingly no longer trusts League where we have a small lead. But it took him way too long to discover how stupid that move would turn out. League sucks again, and that’s nothing new. And that’s why its on Mattingly.

112. Mark Sweeney says:

Donnie doesn’t get it in so many ways. NOt only did he not get someone up in the pen until the game was tied (as mind boggling as that is), here is a response he gave in an interview prior to the game:

So far, it seems like the Los Angeles Dodgers’ hottest prospect is handling everything the major leagues can throw at him with a smile. Monday, manager Don Mattingly threw him another one, moving him from the leadoff spot, where he batted .464 with four home runs in his first week, to the cleanup spot.

It’s a temporary move, Mattingly said, and Puig likely will be moved further down in the lineup by next week, when Hanley Ramirez and Matt Kemp are expected to return.

Can you believe this guy, his plan is to move Puig down in the order, meaning less bats per game, once HanRam and Rhianna return. How about this Donnie, how about Rhianna earn the spot in the batting order instead of moving your only productive player in the lineup? Is that too complicated, you idiot?

I’ve said it before, there has to be a MAJOR housecleaning immediately. Donnie’s clueless, Sned is clueless, to not take action immediately will prove that the brass is also clueless. What a waste. Management has a very strong likelihood of having Kershiser look for employment elsewhere, and I can’t blame him if he did.

The lost posts just showed up.

I saw a couple of guys bust their ass last night. Punto was one of them. He is a back up that is asked to play every day. New role for him. I think he has done a fine job. Ellis is also playing too many days. He too is a back up. Gonzo cares. Uribe is in a contract year so I leave him in there. Ethier is trying. He hit the ball ok last night, but then looked at strike three right over the plate. I just don’t understand how that happens. You can’t be guessing with 2 strikes. You have to be looking fastball and adjusting to anything with downward rotation. I think that is a basic rule of hitting. I know it usta was. Maybe not anymore.

Quas, do you have Moylan close? I mean, who comes in after Jensen? Belisario, Guerrier, Moylan and Rodriguez all pitched on Sunday. I guess you could have matched Howell against Parra and if that worked let him finish, or give Moylan the last out, but he threw 15 pitches on Sunday. It was League’s turn to pitch and the numbers Donnie was looking at said he should be able to get it done. Did you read the Times piece this morning? In case you didn’t, Jensen pitched the 8th because those were the better hitters. That game was theoretically closed in the 8th, something I have been asking for for years now.

League was 13 of 16. If Donnie does the match up thing, and it doesn’t work, everyone is screaming at him for not allowing the closer to close.

I don’t know. Nothing seems to be working. Frustrating.

114. Jason says:

It’s fine that he brought League in if that’s the move he felt he was supposed to make. But. ..
    League should have been yanked when he started serving up meatballs. Donnie should have made a trip to the mound and pulled him after Parra dented the wall.

115. Pete M. says:

I’m getting short on Mallox… The pen, the damnable pen… One thing that was a gimme was that the pen, year in and year out was going to be there, and 2013 was thought to be the same.
    Beli was damn near unhittable and Brandon was although over paid a good pitcher… Add Jansen and the emerging Paco… Life is good…I’m getting too old for this crapola… Each game like yesterday gets me closer to putting up the for sale sign come the deadline… I need divine intervention…

116. Mark Sweeney says:

We all need divine intervention.

Too bad we don’t talk politics in here, there sure is a bunch of material coming out everyday from this administration. HOwever I will refrain. Wake up America!

117. Quasimodo says:

Badger, what would I do? What I would of liked would be asking Jansen for another three. While that might seem to be asking too much from him, its something that needs to be tested. One thing for certain is League belongs nowhere a close game. I’d rather take a win one night and be Jansen short the next. Putting League in where he can blow it will likely blow it. And we all knew that.

118. Rob says:

Jansen should be the closer period! The 8th inning guy can be by committee. League might do better when the pressure isn’t as high as the 9th.

119. Quasimodo says:

I don’t want League anywhere near a close game simply because his record says he’s more often than not going to give up runs. And matching means nothing when his record speaks that loudly.

120. Rob says:

I understood Donnie’s logic somewhat with having kenly facing the 2-3-4 guys during the 8th but league is a professional choke artist and should never close again.

I’m trying to think of what to write, and I can’t.

So frustrating. And so happy I missed the 8th and 9th innings last night as I enjoyed sushi!

122. Rob says:

Quas, I am not justifying bringing league in, just bringing Jansen in during the 8th. Paco could have faced the lefties in the ninth.

123. Rob says:

I also thought Clayton had another inning left in him. Would you rather have Clayton batting vs. a right handed pitcher or sellers? I have more faith in Kershaw getting a hit.

124. Gonzo says:

Not to show support for DM, but don’t you think that Ned is making him use league? LATimes reported that DM had no say in the Sellers call up. I think that the ASG will be the last we see DM in blue. I doubt that the Dodgers will win 60% of the remaining games. A lot of work to do. Besides firing DM and NC and hire their replacements. Find a 2B and 3B. Trade Ethier and put together a bullpen.

If we go back to Jansen as the closer — then, in a couple of games from now, he will hit a batter, walk another, and give up a double or homer — and we will be calling for his head.

Folks, the D-Backs played that game last night, like a professional playing a harp. Just the right amount of this and that — and thus, a win.

126. Quasimodo says:

I won’t be calling for Jansen’s head. He’s made some mistakes in the past that stand out in my memory, but not any that remain as the norm. Yes, I want Jansen to face the toughest bats. And if he’s got those behind him with a modest pitch count then let him go a little further.

127. William says:

I don’t know why anyone would want Colletti to pull the trigger on anything. As awful as Mattingly is, and he is awful, it was Colletti who signed League to a three year $22 million deal. It was Colletti who somehow decided that giving Ethier a five year $85 million deal was a good idea. Now the Dodger ownership can just keep paying these off in the next few years, the same way that ownership had to pay off Jason Schmidt, Urbibe, Andruw Jones, etc. 90% of the deals that Colletti makes are bad ones, so why would we want him to make more of them? If Colletti had traded Ethier last year, he could have made a much better trade, but of course we could also have said that about Russell Martin, and Loney and various players he held on to until their trade value was very little.

Nothing fixes this organization until Colletti and Mattingly are gone. Mattingly is one of the worst managers I have ever seen. Apart from closing with League, his idiotic bunting a runner over to third with no outs, is so counterproductive, it deserves its own thread. You do not waste an out to move someone to third. Last night, he had the hot-hitting Schumaker up, left-handed hitter against a right-hand pitcher; any ground ball to the right side gets the runner to third, anyway. And–gee, maybe Schumaker gets a hit, and the Dodgers can try to win the game, not tie it! Mattingly had already used up his bullpen; why would he always want to play for the tie? Because he is stupid and unable to comprehend the foolishness of giving up a precious out just to move a runner already in scoring position to third. I guess last night the idea was to waste Schumakers’ AB to allow the powerful Punto to maybe hit a long fly ball to score the run? Unbelievable.

Finally, I hate to say that I see no sign that Kasten, the only baseball person (of sorts) as owner, has any vision for the future here. He kept saying that he expected Mattingly to be here for years. Putting aside the public relations thing–you always act like your manager is fine–these comments went way too far. If Kasten actually believes that Mattingly is a good manager, then there is no hope here. He’ll ultimately be forced to fire Mattingly, but he’ll keep Colletti, who will further screw up the rosters. And we’ll end up with a dud manager, who (as all the decisions which the Dodgers have made for years) will be a public relations hire, someone to get the true-blue fans excited. Scioscia, or Dusty Baker or even Wallach. What the Dodgers do is not based on baseball merit, it is always based on p.r. That’s why the Dodgers signed Ethier; because he is a good-looking guy who appeals to young women fans as well as Hispanics. In other words, stupid from a baseball standpoint, but it brings in the fans, which is the only goal here. When is Dodger earbud night coming up again?

128. Bball says:

Is it too late no. Do I think it will happen no. I will watch dodger games till the day I die but this is a thoroughly frustrating season. I guess cause there was so much hype but I have faced the fact that this team is not a playoff team. Fire Ned fire Donnie trade away anybody you want except kershaw and puig and hope things go better next year.

I sure do understand the passion in here. We are all extremely frustrated Dodger fans… er….. Dodgers fans.

You have to play the hand you are dealt. Sometimes with a bad hand, you have to bluff. I feel Donnie is being forced to bluff. We have lost many a lead this year (lead the league in BS) and we have lost many a 1 run game (still haven’t done the numbers) so we have been close. If I know this I think upper level management knows this and that is why Donnie will get a break on this season.

William, I have to agree with you said. I have been calling for a new GM for some time – I think since that ridiculous Schmidt deal, but it could have started before that. Been so long I don’t even know when I started disliking that guy.

It will happen. One way or another, change is coming. It could be gettting Kemp and Ramirez back allows to win those one run games instead of losing them. We’re stuck with League’s contract, but that doesn’t mean we are stuck with him in the closer’s role. Give him the 7th. With this staff, there will plenty of 6 inning outings, somebody has to go the 7th and 8th. Kenley is my closer starting now.

But one crap game doesn’t change my strategy. Wait til the deadline. We will know then what needs to be done. We are now 4-6 in our last 10. A win tonight and we will have the same 10 game records with both SF and AZ. Stay within reach and see where are in 40 some games.

Oh, and America IS awake sweenie. They woke up after the 8 year consciousness drought.

Nice try though.

SVS to the DL. Sellers back down to wherever.

And Chris Withrow and Alex Castellanos called up.

The Dodger merry go round goes round again

Never seen anything like this.

Maybe this is just a joke being played on us by the baseball gods?

Gonna be an interesting ride.

I think the first cuts will be from the medical and training staff. Good place to start anyway.

I think I want Puig up in the first inning. And when Kemp gets back I want him up in the first. Ramirez too and Gonzalez.

Puig limping.

This ump has to go. The same guy that blew the call last night can’t count to three.

Puig doesn’t look right.

134. Bball says:

He’ll be on the DL tomorrow badger.

Puig looks like a rookie tonight. But I best remember, he is going up against one of the best teams in the majors. And a really savvy pitcher. Also against a manager who really knows the game and how to win.

Punto, Punto, Punto — you are so important for this team — as a sub. But Donnie and Ned have you out there as a key starter, night after night, in one location or another, now hitting in the 2 hole.

Sorry they are putting so much pressure on you.

137. Rob says:

Atta boy greinke, stick up for your teammates!!!

6 of the 8 position players are rookies or backups. It’s going to be this way for a whole. That is it is so important to hold leads when our best pitchers get them.

139. Gonzo says:

I hope bills is watching and taking notes. Greinke has some brass balls and my RESPECT. Way to protect your own.

140. Rob says:

Now go fucking win this game!! Fuck the dick bags!!

And of course they don’t make them pay immediately.

I have been watching the dbacks for two years and have never seen Kubel make that play. Never. Of course, tonight he does.

141. Rob says:

And they get the key hit, fuck my life.

142. Rob says:

Puig gets ejected so there goes our one clutch hitter.

143. Rob says:

Don’t like the bunt call. It will take a double to score Gonzalez from second. Just gave the out away.

144. Rob says:

Fuck yeah FedEx!!!!!!!

145. Rob says:

When AJ comes back they better get rid of Hernandez. Oh an Cruz needs to go as well.

146. Rob says:

Great victory!!!!!!!!

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]