It’s a start… isn’t it?

Three is a row.  WOW!  I can’t remember that for a while.  Toronto turned around their horrible season by running off eleven wins in a row.  Certainly the Dodgers are just as capable of the same thing, but can they do it?  They are going to have to start to hit much better than they are now, but they are capable.  This we know.  Puig is still on fire, but realistically we all know that he can’t stay this hot.  Adjustments will be made and he will have to adjust and most likely, pitchers will force other Dodgers to hit.  Will they be up for it?

Kemp and Van Slyke should return within the week.  Kemp allegedly has new contacts.  It was reported that when he wore them the first time at bat he said “What’s that fast white thing?  I’ve never seen that before.”  Let’s hope that helps.  I look for both Kemp and Van Slyke by the weekend.  Cruz and Hererra have to be the odd men out.  Cruz is hitting .127 and cannot occupy a spot on the roster.

So far, the Dodgers and Angels are the Poster Children of how not to build a team.  Albert Pujols is hitting .258 in just his second year of a 10-year deal and Josh Hamilton is at .207.  So far, big deals for aging players has been the opposite of how to build a team.  Look at the Cardinals and Rangers – they are prospering after letting their superstars walk.

If the Dodgers can’t pull off a big winning streak, then everyone not named Puig, Kemp, Ramirez or Kershaw have to be put on waivers, even Adrian Gonzalez.  If you can get overwhelmed by a deal, you have to do it.  I still would like to see Ethier traded for Jurickson Profar.  The Ranger need outfield help and Ethier would probably benefit from a charge of scenery.  How much the Dodgers would have to eat is the question.  Profar is a risk, but he is the #1 prospect in baseball.  I’d do it, if Texas would.  That said, a winning streak would make all of this moot.

We know one thing – The Dodgers have four of the best young players in baseball in Kemp, Puig, Ramirez and Kershaw.  This team should be a whole lot better than it is and will look dramatically different next year.

4th-of-july

59 Responses to “It’s a start… isn’t it?”

1. Watford Dodger says:

Personally I think we are too far back but the remaining games against the NL West before the Allstar Break will decide things. If we can get there 4/5 games back we may have an outside chance but it will mean having to stay hot for the rest if the season. A big ask.

We can’t trade Ethier until we know Crawford is going to finish the year. The Rangers might be interested in Pederson and Lee. Throw in Gordon on that deal as we won’t need him if Profar comes back. I keep saying, and I still believe, Ethier could put up some great numbers for that team. I wonder if there are any talks going on?

Kemp is just now getting his eyes checked? If it were up to me, all players would have that done monthly. And all players would have to pass quarterly PFT tests. You get paid millions to be a professional athletes, be professional and put in an hour a day in the weight room. Or, the minimum of this:

Better yet…. every Dodger should do whatever it is that Puig is doing.

In less than 2 weeks the Jays have gained 6 games in the standings. By my calcs there are about 16 weeks left in this season.

There is a LONG way to go people. The West is going to be a dog fight the rest of the summer. We get all our people back, and this team looks damn good to me.

I remain confident.

4. Gonzo says:

Hopefully Kemp is a candidate for LASIK surgery or whatever new corrective eye surgery there is out now. Mark, I agree with a lot of what you say and disagree with a lot of things you say, but your last sentence is very very true. I expect this team to be tweaked here and there and you didn’t even mention Gonzalez, who I think is a still a stud, look at his numbers.

Obviously a big winning streak will be the best cure for us.

But, more importantly to me is that we win this series. We keep taking 1 step forward then 2 steps back. We need to trudge along forward. Win at least today or tomorrow, and thats the series. Take 3 from Philly.

Puig’s adjustments are amazing to me. He’s 22?? Wow.

Ethier’s been a very god centerfielder actually. Perhaps this adds to his trade value. Mark Ellis really is struggling, so I”d love a 2b for Ethier (Kinsler?). Uribe has solidified 3b, and his D is fantastic. Keep him there batting 6/7

In 2 weeks, I’d love to see:

Crawford
    Puig
    Kemp
    Agone
    Hanley
    Kinsler
    Uribe
    Ellis/FedX
    pitcher

6. Bobbie17 says:

I agree with Bobby. Let’s start winning series. The most important game is today. Same thing tomorrow.

7. Quasimodo says:

I can’t claim confident yet, though I’ve never been without hope. Its really cool that hope and confident are growing into the same meaning. We all see a sweep of Giants is on the menu but speak softly saying “we need the series”. Gentlemen, start your stream-rollers!

8. jerry says:

i think the weight room is the problem…the old day we never use the weight room..and i am 68 yrs old, it build muscle then they tear,even in golf ..if you build to much .you can,t get though the ball

9. Quasimodo says:

Even in boxing you stay off the heavy weights and just rep with baby weights.

10. Quasimodo says:

The best thing would be if they played hand-ball

They should do Insanity like me. It’s the most ridic workout I’ve ever done!

I think a win tonight and I start to get excited again.

12. Quasimodo says:

Puig doesn’t change the game of baseball without changing the world. You can be certain every Cuban citizen has eyes on him too. The ‘feel good’ stories of Cuban defectors probably impact more harm towards Castro than he can handle. Cubans are surely hoping he dies soon. Even Castro knows the best thing for Cuba is his death.

Cuba – our 51st state!

I think the conditioning comments are spot on. Light weights high reps – fast twitch training.

Falsone will Stan be Conti?

I wonder if the next Cuban defector, pitcher Miguel Gonzales, will prefer to be a Dodger because of Puig.

16. Gonzo says:

Miguel Gonzalez will prefer the $$$$ Bobby. Do you know which team in the MLB has the most money?

If this guy is legit he could pitch this season in the bigs with whoever signs him.

The above might be what Mark was referring to when he mentioned Kemp’s new contacts, although I’m sure that info has appeared elsewhere. Actually, the part of the article that caught my attention concerned the Dodgers medical staff clearing “Kemp for an increased weightlifing load last month…and Mattingly stating that “Kemp flashed his vintage power during batting practice….”

Teams forcing other Dodgers to hit besides Puig is no big deal if Kemp returns to form, and Hanley and Agon continue to hit. Right now I’d definitely lean towards a deal of Ethier for Profar. From everything I’ve read about him, Profar has excellent baseball instincts and plays hard. I can’t comment based on anything I’ve seen, but he certainly gets rave reviews. That being the case, I doubt if Texas, no matter how much money the Dodgers included, would part with him just for Ethier. And I would definitely agree to a larger package, including our top propects. I am confident that the Dodgers are in the process of rebuilding the system, and can afford to part with some in order to get a potential young star to fill a position definitely in need of filling.

I don’t recall the details, but I believe that Puig has an out in his contract after 2 or 3 years. So signing Gonzalez or any other Cubans might be a good idea to entice Puig to remain when he’s in line for bigger bucks. But like Gonzalez, Puig too will likely “prefer the $$$$”. Maybe after this season the Dodgers might want to consider locking him up long term. But again, I don’t recall the details of his contract. But I’m sure after reading this, one or more of our enterprising bloggers will be on Cots to get the details.

I guess I’m that enterprising blogger. This from Cots:

Yasiel Puig of
    7 years/$42M (2012-18)

7 years/$42M (2012-18)
    signed Major League contract with LA Dodgers as a free agent 6/27/12
    $12M signing bonus
    12:$2M, 13:$2M, 14:$2M, 15:$4.5M, 16:$5.5M, 17:$6.5M, 18:$7.5M
    may opt in to arbitration once he earns 3 years of Major League service time
    agent: Jaime Torres
    ML service: 0.000

I imagine that opting into arbitration isn’t too bad, assuming that’s not the same as free agency.

19. DodgerDude says:

Dodgers are he’ll bent on Ricky Nolasco.

Good.

But they will no doubt give up too much just to keep those other teams in the West from getting him.

Jason Stark says we’ve also asked about Matt Garza

Today’s lineup:

Ellis
    Puig
    A-Gone
    HanRam
    Kemp
    Ethier
    FedX
    Punto
    Fife

22. Rob says:

Kemp is coming back to soon. He needs to find his swing in the minors and get that power back.

23. Bball says:

If kemp does what he’s capable of doing this is and will be a World Series team. There’s no doubt in my mind. 500 by the break. I smell it even more today

24. Bball says:

Agree rob. Fingers crossed

25. Gonzo says:

Another rumor has Lee, Pederson, Reed and Stripling(??) to the Brewers for Gallardo and Ramirez. Thoughts?

Haven\’t they learned their lessons about old guys?

27. Bball says:

Little steep. Classic ned

28. Dave says:

Hate to say it guys but you haft to build muscle and stretch stretch stretch stretch thats where speed and power come from with stability strength speed and durability if you dont you wont survive wear and tear ,bands for small muscles isometrics , and certain weight regimate specific to baseball , whether its pitching or infield and hitting its extremely specialized now they work hard on stamina and strength some do some dont go hard results for durability show in those that do and those that tone it down , nowadays bulk guys that no how to properly stretch are extremely flexible and strong , theres such specialized trainers to fit your needs organizations are very conservative for liability reasons , players do there own extreme workouts on there own accord , the biggest enemy is getting the small micro built up for more stability you haft to break it down to build it up ! puig is young average work out guy with god given frame watch with time he will haft to make adjustments vets work hard to keep the small tweeks at bay its just the way it is murphys law hit the dodgers period !

P.s Our #1 pick Chris Anderson and our #2 pick Tom Windle pitched for Great Lakes today.

Anderson: 2ip, 1 hit, 5k
    Windle: 2ip, 1bb, 2k

Hope Kemp isn’t coming back too soon. But the Dodgers track record on stuff like this is reason to be nervous.

Mark’s probably right about the old guys thing. Although Gallardo isn’t old. But his stats this year show a significant drop in K’s per 9. So something could be wrong there. I didn’t even check Ramirez’s stats, because he’s not someone I pine for.

But also, I’ve learned not to take a lot of these rumors too seriously. Some actually come to pass, but most don’t. Now Lee, Pederson, Reed and Stripling, together with Ethier for Profar might get my attention. Again, as I noted earlier, I haven’t actually seen Profar play, but if his reputation bears any resemblance to reality, I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. That would give the Dodgers a young, talented middle infielder, something they could desperately use.

This could be the start of something big.
    Seems like we should have Yasiels bazooka in RF but we might see him throw somebody out at first from left.

Think Positive and Go, Dodgers

Hope your good Roger

32. jerry says:

since kemp came back ..who got sent down.or released.

33. Rob says:

Herrera

34. Quasimodo says:

Only one WD team wins tonight!

35. my boy blue says:

Before we talk about playoffs or WS we need to bullpen depth. This bullpen is atrocious.

36. jerry says:

donnie is a dump f……….

37. Rob says:

So you have one righty in pence and nothing but lefties after that and you bring in league over Paco? Donnie has made some of the shitiest decisions all year!

38. Quasimodo says:

Amazing! Ya know…when one person calls it a horse, you say naw. When two people call it a horse, you say maybe. When three people call it a horse, you get on its back and take a ride! How fuckin many times are we going to have to see League fuck a monkey before Mattingly see’s League is fuckin a monkey?

This would be the most devastating loss of the year, if we blow this.

League needs to go.

This IS the Dodgers bullpen. Whose pitches on Mondays doesn’t pitches on Tuesdays. Paco actually pitched on Sunday AND Monday. Belisario and Jansen pitched yesterday. Jansen pitched 3 days in a row. Today, like or not, it’s Guerrier, Howell, League and Moylan.

And as I say that, Paco is back in there to pitch his third day in a row.

This is the team and that is the bullpen that our GM cobbled together to go out and win a championship. And Donnie has to make it work. Good luck with that.

The save goes to Paco, but Kemp deserves half that save

42. my boy blue says:

We get a W and League will not be in tomorrow to fuck up Kershaws win.

43. Dino says:

GET RID OF LEAGUE NOW. THIS TEAM IS COMING TOGETHER. TOMORROW KERSHAW. YES

44. jerry says:

i thought a closer was a closer no matter how many days he pitches in a row…that what a closer does.

Nope.

Sometimes a team actually has enough runs going into the 9th where you don’t need your closer. Pitchers cannot pitch every day.

45. jerry says:

i do under stand that..but when league got in trouble ..i would of brought in jenson

46. Rob says:

I would understand if Donnie only let league pitch to pence and then bring in Paco but his logic is shitty.

I’ll bet he was hoping he wasn’t going to have to use Paco. With results like the ones we have, his options are limited. Our numbers, from starters and relievers, are not that great, but relievers are worse. We are 28th in BAA, 25th in ERA and 26th in WHIP. What to do? I am sure they are looking into it. Until moves are made, Donnie has to create some smoke and use his bag full of mirrors.

47. AnewBlueDay says:

So Kersahw goes today — gee, the last time he won a game — Hoover was President.

48. Idaho al says:

It was another win, but there are problems. Why did Mattingly bring in Belisario in the 7th? Why not let Fife finish the 7th and then you have Howell, Bellisario and Paco for the 8th and 9th. I have said many times on these post that League is not good. I saw him pitch in Seattle. He does not have good command of his pitches.

Colletti is looking for starters. Why? We have five good ones now. What is he going to do with Lily. I can see Fife sent back to the minors. Stupid! Fife has 4 quality starts. We need relief pitchers. Why not bring Withrow back. He looked good and then they sent him down.

Here are my suggestions: Let Lily go. Let Guerrier go. Colletti will not let League go, but he should. He was stupid to sign him to a 3 year deal. Keep the 5 starters we now have. They are all pitching very well. Bring up Withrow and Ames or whoever they think is doing well in relief in the minors. We do not need to trade right now. Use League only when we are 10 runs down or 10 runs ahead.

49. Idaho al says:

My mistake. Howell got one out in the 7th. Belisario pitched the 8th. My point is the same, let Fife finish the 7th and then you have Howell, Belisario and Paco for the 8th and 9th. Mattingly should have learn that he cannot put League in a pressure situation. The fans told Mattingly what they thought.

I say again….. take a look at the bullpen usage. Wednesday 6, Thursday 4, Sunday 4, Monday 3 and yesterday…… we needed 7 outs to finish the game. How many pitchers did it take to get them?

We need a guy like Jeremy Affelt, someone who can go 6 outs. I suggested last week we keep Withrow and send one of our cloned utility guys off.

Donnie has a bullpen problem. He didn’t create it, Jed did.

Ned put a bad bullpen together, but Donnie cannot manage it at all.

2 outs, nobody on. 7th inning. Why take Fife out? He had JUST gotten an out!! Let him finish the inning. At least let him have that batter.

I don’t trust Ned going after another #4-5 starter. He wil wind up over paying for someone who won’t be any better than Fife. We don’t need any more Blantons.

The time to put together your team is not the middle of the year. That time is the off season and early ST. Jed liked League, and did not like Gregg. League actually looked pretty good for a few games last year. I liked him too. Hasn’t worked out. Maybe giving guys like that 3 years is really not a great idea. Jed has a way of doing crap like that and it doesn’t seem to work out. We need better pitching evaluations to be done and we don’t need to give relievers 3 year contracts. Most of them are used to shorter deals. We’ll pay you good money to come pitch for us. Pitch well, and we’ll do it again.

52. Quasimodo says:

I didn’t care for League. His stuff is nasty but he has no control of his nasty stuff. When he needs to pitch for strikes the results are obvious. Too risky for comfort.

53. Quasimodo says:

HanRam is looking good at SS. He sure is a great asset to the lineup. With him it really is a ‘whole new blue’. I’m finally over League and my anger is behind me. With in mind that Giants really are a pesky lineup, Fife should be credited as solid and a fair fit. Its seems likely Fife will improve.