It could have been worse…

HOW!

I really don’t get it, but it seems that soft-tossing lefty journeymen who pitch like crap own the Dodgers.  Take away the Dodgers two rookies and they were DOA.  I just don’t get it.

Chris Capuano will lay an egg like this every now and again, but remember how good he was the past few games.  I’m not worried about him.  I’m worried about the lack of hitting, especially off of a pitcher like Lannan.  It made no difference if Capuano gave up 2 or 50 runs – the Dodgers can’t win with one run!

There is just something about this teams makeup that ain’t right!  I just can’t put my finger on it.  Maybe I’ll just give them the finger.

Anyway, forget about the game last night.  That stuff happens sometimes.  It’s the lack of hitting that concerns me.

Just drink a few beers.  It will go away…

Rants & Raves

• I believe the Dodgers should say no to Nolasco and instead sign  Cuban Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez.  I he will get somewhere between $60-70 million and the Dodgers can afford it!  He’s MLB ready.
  • Schumaker for closer!!!!
  • Whoever thought Luis Cruz would stay in the bigs because he was friends with Yas didn’t take into account that you actually have to produce.  I head that Ned broke into Cruz’ hotel room and destroyed the pictures yesterday….
  • Adrian Gonzalez had his 8th Error last night.  He had 8 errors in 2010 in twice as many games!  Something is eating him.  Personal problems?  Something has him distracted.
  • Scott Van Slyke has suddenly become relevant!
  • Ross Stripling (I have been telling that this guy is a #2 or #3) pitched 8 shutout innings last night in AA, allowing only 2 hits!  He is on a fast track to LA.  I think he’s already better than Zach Lee!
  • For those of you who liked Blake Smith’s bat, eveidently you didn’t see the arm.  He’s now a pitcher.  I find it silly that many bloggers had him highly rated.  What were they thinking?  You know, some sites had both him and Aaaron Miller as top prospects.  HA!
  • I still say Steve Ames will be a good middle-reliever.  Give him a shot.
  • R.I.P. Justin Miller (just 35 years old)  Awful!

Flex-Superman

57 Responses to “It could have been worse…”

All I expect out Capuano at this stage in his long career is 6 IP of 4.5. At best he is a #5.

Who is Blake Smith?

“There is just something about this teams makeup that ain’t right! I just can’t put my finger on it.”

The rest of us have been putting a finger on it all year. What has been wrong with this club is it being forced to start buys like Cruz, Punto, SVS, Justin Sellers, Skip Schumaker, Jerry Hairston, some cats named Magill and Fife (who has actually come through for us) and a bullpen that ranks….. and I mean ranks like skunk cabbage.

Without Kemp, Crawford, Ramirez, Billingsley, Beckett, League and Lilly doing what it is they are paid to do, what would you realistically expect to happen?

Put your finger on that.

2. Dodgerdog says:

We’re 0-1 without Cruz on the team. We’ve been outscored 16 to 1 without Cruz on the team. Just sayin.

3. Pete M. says:

Badger – “I believe the Dodgers are not all that concerned about using prospects for trade…”

4. Pete M. says:

OOps… I am against it and I want to win as much as anybody. I want to see hiome grown talent at a majority of positions and cherry pick F.A.’s…As neccesary…

5. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark this down (not Mark; but put it down or let it be written) — Cruz will be back.

6. Jason says:

The Pirates keep winning and their payroll is roughly $66,289,524.

7. Pete M. says:

Of course Cruz will be back after hitting over .400 in the coming months at AAA… I.E. Justin Sellers and Dee Gordon… Do I agree with it always??? Heck no, but they (mgmt.) loves those guys with crunch time experience…
    Please don’t get rid of Stripling…RDLR and Webster were enough…

8. Pete M. says:

Guys I can hope can’t I???
    2015 lineup:
    1B -Agon
    C – A.J. Ellis
    2B – ??
    ss – Seagar
    3B – HanRam
    OF – Joc Pederson, Kemp and Puig
    SP – Kersh, Zack G.,Stripling, Lee, Cuban they are going to sign and fill in the blanks…

If I remember correctly, I believe Blake Smith was also a pretty highly rated pitcher in college, and that the Dodgers always knew that he could go back to pitching if the hitting thing didn’t work out. Maybe out of all these conversions the Dodgers have made, they might actually end up with something.

I agree Mark, that signing Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez might be the right move, i.e., if this guy is all he’s made out to be. And maybe Stripling is really good. Hopefully the Dodgers know what they got, and will make the right decision. Nolasco doesn’t excite me, but also, I haven’t seen enough of him or the prospects being discussed, to make any kind of definitive judgment. But the Dodgers have, and hopefully they’ll come to the right conclusions.

The best solution might be to hold onto as many of our prospects as possible, and hope that some of them can contribute in LA relatively soon, and that others can be used in a package that gets us a top prospect, like for instance, Jurikson Profar, or his like. And if the Dodgers have money to throw around, they can also afford to eat a significant portion of one or more of their large contracts to sweeten any deal(s) they make (e.g., Ethier, Crawford, or whomever). This is exactly where having money can make a difference. Without money there is no Yasiel Puig, there is no talk of the Dodgers signing any of the high priced Cubans currently available, and no talk of the Dodgers picking up the some or all of contracts other teams are trying to unload or those the Dodgers are trying to unload. Just like they did with the Boston deal last summer, the Dodgers are in a position to do some of their free agent shopping right now.

In addition to the new TV deal kicking in next year, the Dodgers also have some significant money coming off the books after this season, e.g., Lilly, Mark Ellis, Uribe, Capuano, Harang/Hernandez, and probably some others I’m not thinking of.

This is a year where a lot of our prospects will be given their chance. We have already seen several of them, and we will see more as the summer progresses. If the Dodgers are not all the impressed with them, they will be used to get guys like Hanley Ramirez and Adrian Gonzalez. The next guy on the radar is a proven ML starter – Ricky Nolasco. After him, they will be looking for a proven third baseman, a proven lead-off guy, a proven bullpen arm – they won’t stop looking for proven players. Why? Because they are not the small market draw 25,000 a night tiny tv market Pittsburgh Pirates – they are the Los Angeles Dodgers and they are going to flex and do it their way.

just sayin’

11. SpokaneBob says:

Every team wins at least 30% and loses at least 30%. Last night was a 30% game. As much as we want to we can’t expect to sweep every series, but we can hope for 3 out of 4. Different night, different result. Go Ryu….Go offense.

On Nolasco, The way it seems to work is that if we get him he will pitch like he did last night and if the giants or dbacks sign him he will be lights out. Why is that?

Anyway, I vote for the Cuban pitcher. Having him might help Puig and visa versa.

Courtesy of TBLA you can look for yourself to see what will be coming off the payroll.

We’re still paying Manny, Kuroda, Gwynn, Andruuw Jones (also in 2014), and a number of others received option payments in 2013. Just about all that comes off the books. And that creates some flexibility going forward. Matt Guerrier’s $4.75 million also comes off, replaced by a $1 million deferral in 2014.

Bottom line: The Dodgers have and will have money to invest in this team going forward. There looks to be some good prospects in the last two drafts, and we should see some results coming from the Dodgers re-entry into the international market. All in all, I think things are looking up. Certainly no guarantees, but way better than what McNumNut left us with.

Agree with all that. There are some really bad investments made by the previous regime. An ongoing concern for me is the guy who made those choices is still sitting in his chair.

I do trust that, even considering McTimmons fears about the injection of money into our system, we will get positive results from it. In fact, we already are.

I think there are so many Dodger fans because about a hundred million people grew up listening to Vin Scully every night. I started listening in the summer of ’59.

The Los Angeles market is enormous. Most folks outside of it hate all things Los Angeles.

13. AnewBlueDay says:

I wonder what the Dodger players on the field where thinking last night in the Philly first and second innings and on when they where hitting the ball all over the park . . .

Watching Cap. just tossing up batting practice.

14. AnewBlueDay says:

For years, I felt that many baseball fans around the country were Yankee fans because of the great players they had and the unlimited resources . . . to get what ever it took to win.

Now the Dodgers seem to be in that position. Will new Dodger fans emerge around the country/world because they want to see a winner with unlimited resources?

My father used to say — “You can love a woman with money just as much as those without — so why not fall in love with a woman with money!”

He was joking of course, but that is what some “fans” do. They want to follow a winner.

You know, it takes a different DNA to follow a team like the Cubs, or Royals, or Pirates . . . with limited resources and most seasons are not winners in the baseball standings.

But in reality, it has been the looser side of things for Dodgers fans for more than a decade, even two. No matter what Tommy likes to say.

I don’t think the payroll in 2016, for example, will be as high as it is this year.

Last year, this year, and next year we bought expensive players who can help us win while also bridging the gap to the next generation.

In 2016, for example, the true best players on the team will be paid like superstars, but it will calm down thru the rest of the younger talent.

Guys like Saeger, Stripling, Withrow, Pederson, Puig (to a point), won’t be making as much as guys like Kemp and Kersh.

As long as we keep getting the good young talent, we can shuffle that in and out of here for more talent. This will be a much much better oiled machine in the next couple years.

But, in the meantime, we can still win now with the talent we have. Only 6 games out, and it’s not even July.

p.s. more importantly, I choose the 1st blonde, closest to the camera, in that pic above.

You guys can argue about the others.

17. Dodgerdog says:

Hey watch it Bobby, that’s my wife you’re talking about!

18. Dodgerdog says:

You like the pearl necklace I gave her?

19. HawkeyeDodger says:

A very logical and calm response from a site that I think at times should be call LADodger Bi-Polar Talk:) A loss is a loss and when the Dodgers beat Cliff Lee tonight all will be forgotten.

Mark, I’m a little surprised about your take on Gonzalez considering your disdain for the Dodgers spending. I agree though. A rotation of Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, and Gonzalez sounds nice. The Dodgers will have Bills for one more year either in the rotation or pen. Stripling or Lee should make for a good enough #5. I think Stripling is going to surpass Lee so I wouldn’t mind using Lee as a trade chip to acquire a difference maker. Pass on Nolasco. He sucks!

Nolasco sucks?

According to the stat sheet, he is actually not bad. Sub 4 ERA, 99 ERA+, 1.24 WHIP, .263 BAA – all of which would likely improve at Chavez. He isn’t Cliff Lee but, with 17 starts and 105 IP before the break, he is not bad. You want to see suckage we could show you plenty of it right here on the current team.

As for who is taken in the above picture, there was a time when I was interested in wasted young girls, but that time is long gone. Have at all of them Bobby.

• Hawkeyedodger says:

He’s pitching better than his career stats. The only thing that I like about him is that I remember him saying last year that it would be a dream come true to be a Dodger.

Chase Utley anyone?

He is younger than Ellis, has played the same number of games as Ellis this year, they could platoon…. and I really doubt anyone else would be interested……. well, maybe an AL club. Kick the tires?

I’m sure I’d be interested in Utley. Major concern is that he has had injury problems. And what would the Phillies want in return? According to Cot’s he’s in the final year of his contract, and I’m sure the Dodgers would pick up the pro-rated portion of this years $15 million. Is salary relief all the Phillies would want? I certainly wouldn’t give a whole lot in prospects for an Utley on the downside of his career. But definitely worth kicking the tires.

23. AnewBlueDay says:

Gee, there were probably 3, or 4, or even 5 guys the Dodgers have pitching as starters in the minors that could have worked out better last night . . . but hind-sight is not reality.

But, it would not hurt to juice up the end of the 5 man rotation a bit.

Or, just go on every 4th games the big four get the start. Oh, wait, these modern day arms and bodies cannot take that much work. No 300+ innings pitchers any more.

24. Don B from San D says:

Cruz will never have another Dodger at bat unless there are more injuries. He had his year!

Cruz had a couple of months – point taken. He is done here, doesn’t matter what he does in Albu.

We’ve had who the Dodgers consider the most Major League ready starters up and in. I believe they plan on late season starts for maybe a couple of AA arms. Hope so anyway.

The Dodgers are the right fit for Utley. Home town boy, last year if big contract. Every team knows his recent history. What a great platoon situation for the Dodgers. Two good players, both of whom need days off at this point in their careers.

And AZ loses again.

If we forget about yesterday, and Ryu takes care of business, we’ll be just 5 back tonight, kids!!

Oh, and the SF garbage lost today as well.

Beckett to undergo season ending surgery.
    Would rather resources be used to improve Pitching and 3rd base than for someone on the wrong side of 30 who plays 2nd base. Utley yes 5 years ago but don’t spend money and future players on past performances. That’s Jeds MO so I imagine he’ll be all over it.

28. Bball says:

Ok I’m sold. Get utley here pronto

Utley would cost way too much for a 3 month rental.

Philly would fleece Ned in an Utley deal.

30. Gonzo says:

Happy Hanley…..

I’m bad. Chase is making me eat me words.
    I just remember losing Carlos Santana for the beard.

32. the truth hurts says:

AJ ELLIS IS SLOWER THAN A TURTLE

33. Rob says:

We are the only team in the league they can load the bases with no outs and not score.

34. AnewBlueDay says:

Truth, please do not embarrass the turtle.

So, bring in Utley — ok so it costs a few prospects. But HE very well could make the difference of a bunch a games. He is a gamer.

Utley isn’t that old. He’s 34. And if he would be willing to be used the way Donnie seems to use EVERYBODY, he could last another 3 years easy.

Thoracic outlet syndrome. Sounds like it would be difficult to pitch with that. Beckett will be back by Spring Training. Wouldn’t it be great if this surgery fixed it?

Mark Ellis falling to the numbers I predicted for him. Actually, I have to admit, I just basically agreed with what fangraphs had to say.

“Would rather resources be used to improve Pitching and 3rd base than for someone on the wrong side of 30 who plays 2nd base”

I understand that Michael. I would too. But, I would take an upgrade wherever it presented itself. Amaro was quoted saying “I see Utley as a Phillie for life.” We’ll see about that. If Utley can stay on the field for 120 games, and take a pay cut next year, he could be extremely valuable. He’s from Long Beach. He might do it.

And as some of you know, I wasn’t a huge Blake fan. He was ok for a while, but I always felt we could do better at third base. Maybe we can’t. The Dodgers and third base don’t seem to jive all that well. And giving up Carlos was a huge blunder and did not sit well with most Dodger fans. Just add it to the list.

• the truth hurts says:

Me neither regarding Blake Badger, averaged about .260 and 15 home runs a season with us.

Not 3rd base material in the majors. But I say that with Uribe playing for us now…

Note to outfielders, when a potential triple comes your way, just kick it out of play for a ground rule double….PUIG DOES IT AGAIN!!!!!

36. Dino says:

WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO ACQUIRE UTLEY?

37. Quasimodo says:

What a difference a HanRam makes.

38. Dave says:

My take on matt kemp hes in lala land and its not about him any more , hes a mental whiner hes got problems mentally, hes lost get him of the field , is the backbone of the virus ! the throw home and those at bats tonight he doesnt give a rats ass terrible , hes got his money and hes mentally checked out !

We would have lost this game a few weeks ago.

This is a new team/new attitude. I like it.

5 games out now kids!!

I mentioned his name recently, and the Dodgers must have been listening. Looking forward to see if the Dodgers actually have something in Jose Dominguez and his 100 mph heater. Nice combined stats this year. 25 IP, 9 H, 40K and a 1.78 ERA. His 13 BB indicate less than perfect control, but by all accounts he has the stuff. And he’s young (23 in August).

41. jerry says:

yes i dont believe kemp will ever be the same..he cant even hit the one s down the middle..,, on matts throw ..yes it was off line ..but the runner never tried to come home until A J MISSED IT..the ball scutted away from him ..that s when the runner took off for home..

42. Watford Dodger says:

Like the title of Mark’s previous thread – I’m not at all convinced by this resurgence. The last two nights we have scored runs in only three of 18 innings – this from a team that was meant to be hot with a 6 game winning streak behind it. We are still terrible WRISP especially basses loaded and no outs. Mat Kemp looks like we’ve got Cruz back again. Why don’t we learn that it’s better to play the guys in form, in this case Ethier – who we’ve been waiting to heat up and now has have benched him. Kemp wasn’t hitting at AAA so what makes them think that he suddenly will in the big leagues. Why are people like Guerrier & League still with us – everyone can see their confidence is shot – why not use some of the young arms we have – they cannot do any worse. Normally youth carries no fear (Puig) and isn’t carrying too many mental scars. Until we cut the out of form players (Kemp plus two or three others) we will keep stalling.
    Ryu did a great job of hanging in. Seems so cool with runners on.
    There are positive signs but please play the players in form & cut the ones that are not. Surely that’s what a 40 man roster is for.

Now that I really think about it I’m all in on Chase now, besides if we didn’t get him we’ll pay Cano a $ gillion to play until he’s 40 something.

Hope this kid can throw strikes.

The Dodgers are getting it done. Keep it going in July and it will make the deadline all that more exciting.

midgets with 6 losses in row. That alone would make my day.

Kemp on a real schneid. I don’t buy what Dave is selling. I think Matt cares and will work on what he needs to work on. Of course, I don’t have inside information, just a gut feeling. Perhaps he should be working on it somewhere else?

45. AnewBlueDay says:

Jerry, I agree with you.

AJ. Ellis screwed up with Kemp’s throw and could not hold it. If Ellis catches the ball or traps it and has it in his hands — that tying run does not score then.

But — alas, he bungled another throw. I just have seen a lot of balls get by him and he really needs to tighten up his game.

But he made up for it with the hit. And Hanley looked like he was in warp speed running to the plate.

Nice win.

Dodgers now 5 back (in last place). If Giants loose today and the Dodgers win — they will be tied at 38-43. Interesting. If I were a Giants fan (Venice Glenn) I would be worried.

46. Dave says:

Badger let me just say , ive been around enough ball players and most have a gear of respect at all times of who they are ! they play hard at all times for its just the way you play the game but ive got enough reports on rehabs that effort is lacking to say the least , ok hes a big boy but show something i just dont get it , and to say it was lacking is being polite its a mental makeup thing , you either have heart hussle or you dont , ya talents there but have some respect for self pride at all times , your not entitled because you think your entitled hes not focused and sincere and its showing . somebody needs to straiten that out , hopefully for his sake he does its his opportunity to sees or just go threw the motions i just dont get that !

47. Dave says:

Or badger, for some theyve never really dealt with adversity per say , and they just dont process !Let alone on this scale i can see the pitfalls, but again it just flashes all the potential gremlins in the dynamics that exist in this game !

1. [...] one hand. It’s that rare of an occurrence. However, on Friday night, we act more… It could have been worse… – ladodgertalk.com 06/29/2013 HOW! I really don’t get it, but it seems that [...]