Is there a problem with Mark McGwire?

The Giants are awakening!

Not the SF Giants, silly.  I am referring to the team with the GIANT PAYROLL.  Their win streak now sits at four in a row and with a sweep of the Giants possible tonight by Clayton Kershaw who is overdue for a win.  I mean, his ERA is all the way up to 2.06 – how awful!!! (I Jest)  I said they needed a 10 -12 game win streak or they would need to become sellers.  I guess they are tying to run off that streak.    If they do, it changes everything.  I have a few observations:

• I do not expect that the Dodgers will turn their season around overnight or even at all, but I am hopeful and really hope that I am wrong!  I am rooting for them every night.
  • Andre Ethier played a good centerfield while Matt Kemp was out, but there is no way on God’s green earth that he would have made the game-saving catch like Kemp.
  • Ricky Nolasco?   I would say no unless you can get him for a little.  Fife is OK at #5 and Capuano is a decent #4.  Lilly may (or may not) get back sometime.  The Dodgers need relief pitching.  Maybe Ned could trade for Kevin Gregg who he had for free.  That would be a genuine NED move.  Maybe he could get the Phillies to take League for Papelbon.  On  problem for another?
  • I’d love to see a 3B like Kyle Seager.  I would trade Ethier (and $35 million), Zach Lee and Joc Pederson and even Dee Gordon for Kyle Seager.  I would pay a ton to get him.
  • A 3B and a relief pitcher or two and the Dodger are good.
  • Which brings me to Mark McGwire.  Evidently Matt Kemp is working with Jeff Pentland, who was fired by the Dodgers.  That’s curious.  Matt is the Dodgers leader and heart and soul.  What does that say about McGwire?  I don’t think all is well there….

OurPeopleMakeTheDifference

93 Responses to “Is there a problem with Mark McGwire?”

1. Gonzo says:

Thought the exact same thing when I saw Kemps catch. As for Pentland, I really am not reading much into that. I did like that Matt drove the ball to right center because thats how we know he’s right, or getting right.

McGwire can only do so much with the group of back-ups the Dodgers have had out there for much of the year. I do wonder why he did not get Kemp to shorten up through his surgery recovery phase. I don’t read anything into the Pentland thing either. I would like to know how McGwire is viewed by the younger players. He was a great hitter before the PED thing, but, his reputation is tainted. Maybe Kemp doesn’t respect him.

“I would trade Ethier (and $35 million), Zach Lee and Joc Pederson and even Dee Gordon for Kyle Seager.”

Yeah, I believe you would. And it sounds to me like maybe Jed has been getting trade advice from you. If you are going to trade an All Star outfielder you don’t also pay his salary and throw in your top prospects. Ethier’s career OPS+ is actually considerably better than Seager’s. Seager is of course younger. He’s good, but he isn’t THAT good. And why would Seattle trade him? He is under team control for quite a while. I would like to see him here too, but you offer WAY too much.

3. jerry says:

kemp was pump up last night being it was his first night back…but before he had that last ham sting..kemp looked bored. he ran down to first not very hard…so i think he thought since puig is here ..that his job in not secure..so may be he will try harder this time around.

4. Anonymous says:

Even though Pentland didn’t have the greatest success with the Dodgers overall, he did have a huge amount of success with Kemp and I had hoped Kemp or the Dodgers would seek out his help.

5. Quasimodo says:

Did you all hear Harold Reynolds on MLBN raving “the Dodgers are going to win the NL West!”? He also stated McGwire as one of the reasons Dodgers will win, and,’the 4 outfielder rotate’. As much as I like Reynolds’ way of thinking, he’s not close to always being right. But who is? I’m with him on this one. Hope in one hand and confident in the other????????

I don’t think Kemp ever looked bored. But no doubt he was frustrated, but who wouldn’t have been given the circumstances. Matt Kemp has no job security problems. I’m absolutely certain that he’s thrilled to have Puig’s bat in the lineup to protect his. And to even suggest that he’s trying harder, is, to say the least, absurd. Assuming the shoulder has been his major problem this year, it should not be forgotten that he got that bad shoulder running into a wall last year. In other words, he was playing hard, and didn’t need Puig’s presence to motivate him.

7. AnewBlueDay says:

Kemp has had time to reflect. Read stuff and think some more.

He knows he is in the $$$$ parade. The money is his. The glory is there — but after the end of last season and the blowup of April-May-June as a player — I believe he knows that the “glory” and cheers can fade quickly.

Now he has to produce:

He owes his employer who pays him the money.

He owes the tradition of baseball over the ages to be one of the best.

He owes his fans who come to cheer him on.

With the addition of Puig, having AGon, Hanley, Ethier, and Crawford when he heals — along with several outstanding pitchers — he knows the Dodgers have a very good chance to make the post-season.

All they have to do is to do what they have been doing the past 4 games.

Down inside — I believe he now believes — and this is his team to lead, and he wants to lead.

I did not hear Reynolds, but I think he must see the same thing I have seen all year. When all the parts are there, this team is as good as any in the West. In fact, I still say they are the best team in the West, but not with all those back-ups on the field at the same time. They put themselves in a bad situation with all the injuries, but, as has been said for what seems like months already, it is a long season.

It would be great to see Kemp regain his form. 4 starting outfielders? Well, ok, we can all live with that luxury, I just wonder if the 4 outfielders can. Who sits? Obviously Crawford will get his weekly rest. That seemed to be the play even when he was healthy. There is one game a week. Where are the others? There are a few interleague games left on the schedule. All four can get at bats in those. We have about sixtyleven million dollars committed to those 4 outfielders. Too bad none of them play first base.

SVS is the 4th outfielder on this team. The 4 vying for the 3 spots are either All Stars who are paid at least 15mil per year, or the hottest rookie to hit the game since Doc Gooden.

Ethier is the one that will be dealt, i think we all know that. Plus, we have power on this team; we need Crawford at the top a lot more than we need Ethier in the lower middle.

I think we’ve all heard about that 10 year old Dodger fan from the bay who mentioned the Dodgers in his graduation speech. Cute story.

He threw out the 1st pitch yesterday, and now moronic Giants coach Tim Flannery isn’t happy with the Dodgers’ handling of the situation. I think Flannery needs to realize we are not allowed to mention or discuss Brian Stow, with the case pending.

11. Quasimodo says:

My biggest fear is the upcoming games @ Coors Field. I shouldn’t have those fears-not with this lineup-but Coors Field hasn’t ever been good for Dodgers.

12. Quasimodo says:

Yeah, saw that. Didn’t he throw 1st pitch Monday?

• Quasimodo says:

Myself, and every Dodger fan there is feels a degree of shame that the punks Norwood and Sanchez used Dodgers name to inflict harm. None us us feel guilt nor should we. Fights happen too often at sporting events. Are Dodgers responsible for what happened? I’m certain to some degree they’re supposed to provide a safe environment at an event they profit by attendance, but I don’t see how they were negligent. If Stow approached security feeling he was threatened and they neglected to assist him safely off grounds then its a different story. If you’re in a store when a robbery occurs and get wounded by a gunshot, is the store owner held responsible? I don’t see how. At any rate, I hope Norwood and Sanchez get mega-time and suffer getting dealt with while doing time.

13. Bball says:

No kemp tonight. Hopefully nothin other then batting poorly against lincecum

That could have easily happened somewhere else. Frankly I am surprised it hasnt happened in SF. That is the rudest park I have ever been to. I stepped in between some 400 pound moron gint fan and a young couple wearing Twins shirts and hats. He backed down but it was dicey. Frankly I think the Dodgers should care for that mans family, all of them, for the rest of their lives. If they can pay League and McSheepdip, they can pay the Stow’s.

If you can believe what you read, Kemp’s missing tonight’s game was planned, and Schumaker hits Lincecum better. Maybe Matt can come off the bench and hit a dramatic HR to go along with last night’s catch. After all, it is Hollywood.

AZ lost again kids

Kersh could get us to within 6

It’d be real if we could give Clayton a little run support

18. Gonzo says:

Nice team win tonight. Lets get those phillies.

6 out gents. Things are getting interesting!!

Mark Saxon of ESPN says we’re hot on Nolasco. I guess if it doesn’t cost much, ok, but I don’t trust Ned.

20. Quasimodo says:

2nd night in a row Dodgers are the only NL WD to win.

21. Idaho al says:

Good game. I liked the decision Mattingly made in the 9th to bring in Jensen. We needed to preserve the victory and get Kersh a win. If Colletti trades for starting pitching, he is an idiot. We have 5 good starters. The bull pen is the problem. Fife now has 7 quality starts. He is a good 5th starter and he gives us a chance to win. That is all you can ask for. Fife is from Idaho, so I am in his corner.

Mark, there is no way you are going to get Kyle Seager from Seattle. They have of the best ranked farm systems in the majors.

22. AnewBlueDay says:

Looking at the standings . . .

The Dodgers are only 2 game behind in the lost column for 2nd place in the N.L. West. Three teams are at 40 losses. Dodgers at 42.

That should spur the team on.

And, the Dodgers had the ONLY winning record for the past 10 games of the N.L. West teams.

23. AnewBlueDay says:

I just re-watched the Puig out at 2nd base when he tried to stretch a single to left field into a double. Even Vinny seemed disappointed in the attempt.

Some might say — he is aggressive and tried to get that extra base.

I say — he has to realize he is playing, NOT in the minor leagues or back in Cuba, but in the MAJOR leagues. These guys are among the best. That is at least the second time he has tried this and was out.

Sure, he might make it next time, because the ball has to be picked up in the outfielder, handled correctly, thrown right, caught by an infielder, and hold the ball, then tag him. Lots of moving parts — but he was, “out from me to you.”

24. Quasimodo says:

Got to take the bad with the good. Which weighs more? For myself it was funny and kind of refreshing just to see energy reach unrealistically high. Its fun we get to see some growing pains, I think its good for the club as well.

Puig’s mistakes are mistakes of aggression. As a coach, I will take them any day. He will learn from them. Aggression is contagious. This kid is not only good for the team, he is good for the game.

The team is playing well now. Having Hanley back is huge. I trust they will keep it going. As I have been saying for some time now, the West isn’t all that. We keep beating the teams in our division, we will move up.

Jansen with 23 pitches to get 3 outs. Sure would like to see better efficiency than that. He will not be available today, but everyone else will be.

I can see there is a more positive outlook in here these last few days. Welcome aboard.

26. Pete M. says:

Damn, its nice to read stuff with a lil harmony & hope… Going tonite to get my Sandy K. Bobblehead on, my Grilled Dodger Dog on and another W… My bus from the train station will surely be rockin n rollin…

27. Dodgerdog says:

Of the 23 pitches that Jansen threw last night, I’d say that only 4 actually hit the spot the catcher set up on. He has good stuff but has no idea where it is going. Unless he gets that under control, he is always going to be a crap shoot.

I think we are likely to see Ethier not involved in a trade this season, too many question marks about Crawford’s health. Puig – LF, Kemp – CF, Ethier – RF (although Puig and Ethier should probably be flopped), Van Slyke and Schumacher giving relief in OF the rest of the way. Even if Crawford comes back, I think his longevity is highly questionable, he’s on the INJURY SLIPPERY SLOPE at this point in his career.

28. Gonzo says:

Idaho Al, its funny that you mention Seattle’s minor league system. Do you know who helped build it? The same guy that is now the head scout for the Blue Jays. He once helped LA’s farm system get a top rating as well. Do you know who this guy is?

McNamara?

Ddog makes a valid point. Can Crawford stay on the field for the last 81 games? I would hope so, but, I don’t know. His legs are a huge part of his game. I wasn’t so concerned when it was an arm surgery he was recovering from, but if he continues to have leg issues he won’t be available daily and that presents a big problem for us. Personally, I would rather have him at 100% and playing every day than I would Ethier – and I am an Andre booster. Crawford just offers more of what this team needs. Somebody else in here said it best, would rather have Crawford doing what he does at the top of the lineup than Ethier doing what he does out of the 6 hole.

• Bobby says:

Aww, thanks Badger, that was one of the few good points I’ve made on this board over the years!

Greinke has to man up today and be that #2 we got him for!!!

29. Quasimodo says:

Lol Badger my friend, I can’t help it, but you for a long period were unable to make a post without ‘trade Ethier’ in its content. As he didn’t until recently get out of his slump I had to concede (as it turns out wrongly) you were correct. So we were both right and both wrong.

30. Bball says:

Listening to mlb radio they said dodgers could get Nolasco as soon as today. I sure hope Ned doesn’t give up to much. Polly will though

31. Bobbie17 says:

Use the pitchers we have, but use them differently. Paco should pitch more, if he can. Jansen as closer is fine. Bellasario, League, etc. should never face more than 2 batters. If the starters can go seven, that would help a lot. Five innings does not do it–not for any team.

Quas……….it all depends on if they feel Crawford can play the rest of the year. I want him in there buddy…. if he can play, Ethier is superfluous. If, and ONLY if, it is determined that Crawford cannot play, then obviously we have to keep Andre. Personally? ….. I hope Andre is moved. That means the team has determined Crawford is fine and we get possibly enough in return to put together a package for David Wright. The Mets are going nowhere fast. That guy, at age 30, would put this team over the top.

33. Quasimodo says:

I’m not picking a fight, Badger. I just couldn’t help myself.

34. Gonzo says:

Dan Evans, Badger. That dude could have done a really great job for LA. Nolasco is a rental and I hope Ned knows that going in, but ignorance is bliss; therefore, Ned is very blissfull. Hopefully this Miguel Gonzalez is legit and Kasten gives the green light to sign him. They’re saying 5 years 60 million should get him signed.

I still try to move ethier regardless of craw fords condition.

Evans. hmm. I didn’t know that. But then, who knows what is going on in Seattle?

I think I am with you on moving Ethier. With Crawford not yet cleared, it just gives me pause. As you know, if I am GM, Ethier is already gone.

35. Dodgerdog says:

You might be right Gonzo, if you can get enough for Ethier he goes, but the Crawford situation makes that a little risky. The main problem being that Ned seems to give up a lot in order to get very little in return. So with Ned running the show, moving Ethier really could be a total waste and be cutting off our nose to spite our face

To me it means they think SVS is a good enough 4th. I’m not so sure about that. With Ethier finally getting his mojo going, it means two things – 1. he is tradeable again and b. he is valuable to the Dodgers again. But if he has to sit? Might as well move him. A 4th outfielder is a guy like Gwynn Jr. or SVS. Not many teams would be sitting a 3 WAR player.

36. jerry says:

no body should be paid over a million., crawford get paid to sit on the bench..wish i had a job that could pay me to say home.

It is why MLB is years behind other professional sports jerry. We have needed a salary cap, and restrictions on guaranteed money, for years. But they get away with it because we allow them to. If there was ever a fan revolt it would change. Some of you may remember a few years ago I tried to lead an Openig Day boycott over this very issue. I got laughed off the board.

This is what Jim Bowden (ESPN Insider) thinks the Dodgers might give up for Nolasco.

“2. Los Angeles Dodgers

With Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke and Hyun Jin-Ryu, the Dodgers may have the best top three in the majors. If they are able to trade for Nolasco, with the run support this lineup can give him, it could end up being an historic last-to-first story at Chavez Ravine this year.

The Dodgers have had 15 key players on the disabled list this year. With most of them finally healthy, we’re starting to see the team we expected out of spring training. With Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig, Adrian Gonzalez and Hanley Ramirez hitting their strides, this is potentially the best lineup in the division. If the Dodgers figure out the back of the rotation, bullpen and third base, they could be primed for a great second-half story.

The Dodgers have enough pitching depth in their system to deal right-handers Ross Stripling and Chris Withrow, two young pitchers who should develop into contributing major league arms for the Marlins.

Stripling has a 92-94 mph fastball with some sink, but his best pitch is a 12-to-6 curve. He’s striking out more than a man per inning at Double-A. Withrow, 24, was a first-rounder in 2007 who never lived up to his potential, but he could still end up as a decent back-end starter or quality reliever.

Trade proposal: Nolasco for Stripling and Withrow”

38. Rob says:

Marlins better add a guy for our pen if we are giving up withrow and stripling.

39. Dodgerdog says:

Stand pat, no rental players. Why dump two top prospects, why not use those two top prospects on your own squad?

40. Rob says:

Eithier in left field tonight, interesting. Hanley getting a scheduled rest day along with mark Ellis.

41. Rob says:

If we are going to give away prospects in a trade I would rather go after Garza.

Looks like the Dodgers made the right decision last year to sign Puig instead of pursue Soler.

Soler may still turn out to be very good, but so far Puig looks like the better choice. For those that don’t remember, Soler, from Cuba, signed a $30 million deal with the Cubs, and was actually the more heavily publicized prospect. In fact, I don’t recall Puig receiving any publicity prior to his signing.

43. Quasimodo says:

Perhaps I should know Nolasco better, but I don’t. I’d have to go on stats or things you guys tell me. Ryu has great stats, but he’s even better than those #’s say. The eye test on Ryu says the kid has ice water running in his veins-the way his pitches even when bases are loaded. So I really can’t offer much on Nolasco.

44. SpokaneBob says:

As good as Withrow looked aginst the Yankees and the bullpen We have, I would not like to see him traded for a rental starter.

Garza makes me nervous. As noted in the link above, he has a long history of injury. The last thing the Dodgers need is to add to their DL inventory.

I don’t know which prospects I would give up for any of these pitchers, because I don’t see those prospects pitch very often, if at all. I think the decision will have to do with how much depth the Dodgers think they have in their system. Their top two draft picks this year look to be legitimate prospects, and it appears to me that Jose Dominguez is making progress. And Zach Lee, despite some doubts expressed on this site, still has to be considered a solid prospect. And none of us has any idea of what kinds of arms are developing in the Dominican summer league. Fact is, Ricky Nolasco is an accomplished big league pitcher, and probably fits well in the middle of our rotation. If he can be the difference as to whether the Dodgers make the playoffs this year, he’s definitely worth considering, even at some cost.

And yes, I understand that the Dodgers would be giving the Marlins major salary relief, and hopefully that will be enough to lesson the cost in prospects. But the Dodgers are in the process of seriously re-building the farm system, and I suspect that their will be an abundance of prospects in the pipeline in the coming years. And who knows, maybe they’ll sign that 26 year old Cuban, and further add to their pitching depth. And I don’t recall the players, but I think the Marlins may also have a couple of bullpen pieces that the Dodgers could be interested in. So maybe the deal can be expanded.

As for renting Nolasco. Yes, that’s a gamble. But who doubts that the Dodgers would lack the ability to get him signed next winter if they really want him?

46. Quasimodo says:

Why is HanRam not in tonight’s lineup?

Scheduled day off

48. Dodgerdog says:

Answer: he has a hot hand and Donnie likes to cool those guys off.

49. AnewBlueDay says:

Here is a MARK trade proposal:

Marlins send:

Herrera
    Pederson
    League (and money)
    Sean Burroughs
    + 2 players from “A” ball from a list of 10

50. Idaho al says:

Gonzo–Tom McNamara is head of scouting. Is that who you are referring to? Regardless, they have a very good minor league system and they are not in need to any more minor league players. There No. 1 pick from last year is already up. He is Mike Zunino, a catcher. Kyle Seager looks very good at 3rd for the Mariners and they are not going to part with him. The Mariners parted with League for the same things we are seeing now. League has no command of his pitches. He was good for one year and then went in the tank.

51. Idaho al says:

I will continue to say, if we get a starting pitcher and not a relief pitcher, Colletti needs to see a doctor. I agree with Brooklyn, Withrop looked good in relief in New York and we need to bring him back up. I think we have all the pieces right now except for the bull pen. Winthrop looked great and then they send him to the minors.

52. Jason says:

Do the Dodgers lead the league in giving guys days off?
    Hanley was in a groove… I just don’t get it.

53. the truth hurts says:

Yikes, Greinke is getting lit up.

54. Rob says:

Anyone who has watched the entire game could see Greinke just didn’t have it tonight. So with a pen that was barely used last night Donnie elects to keep him in there. I am not a fan of our pen but greinke looks like League tonight.

55. Quasimodo says:

Okay, pitch to Puig down and away.

56. Watford Dodger says:

Would have lost that game ten days ago.
    I thought Donnie did well tonight to keep Grienke going – probably says more about what he thinks he’s got in the pen – but was the right call. Means their all available to pitch tomorrow if needed.

57. Watford Dodger says:

Roger the answer is a massive yes to that trade not that it would happen.
    Would give up lots to get Stanton – right age and a 5 tool guy.

We don’t need Stanton. We need a 3rd baseman and another closer or good 8th inning guy. The only way we should trade Either is if we can improve the team. Crawford is injured way too much. If we have bags of money, then we can rotate 4 really good outfielders.

59. Quasimodo says:

Mr. Russel, a question to a man who played more Dodger games than….anybody, what is your opinion about these mega-contracts these days?

I agree we don’t NEED Stanton, but it would be fun to have him.

I still focus attention on a third baseman (already told you what I would try) and a legit lead-off guy. With Arizona now in the hunt for Nolasco, they do have more legit minor league arms to offer so it might cost more than I would like to give. Who knows, maybe they are just floating their name out there to job Jed into offering more than he should.

The pen looked fine last night. Maybe they are also coming around.

Where are all the naysayers? With 100 games to go, many in here had already folded. We are in this thing. We CAN win this thing. The right moves between now and July 31st will be critical. Who makes them? Jed is at the table with Kevin Towers and Brian Sabean. What say you on who wins the pot?

61. Rob says:

I believe badger but I will never trust a close game with Donnie at the helm. It’s amazing how good vibes can spread like wildfire throughout the team. Every player minus Cruz and league has that feeling they can pick the next guy up.

62. Dodgerdog says:

Puig is the catalyst for all the good that is occurring, it starts and ends with him. He is the spark that this club needed, not Donnie, not Kemp, not anyone else. It’s blatantly obvious that this club was dead in the water without him. If you got no spark, you got no fire. Donnie and Ned did all they could to pour water all over this team and avoid any fire, it too Puig time to spark this club, then it took a few weeks for that spark to dry up the water, now the fire has finally ignited.

Looking around the league for a lead-off presence, I focused on second base, as that is the position we could use an upgrade and the most likely place to find a lead off personality. Most of the good ones are playing for play-off contenders, but there is one that we might could get – but he is 32, which as we all know is the wrong side of where we should look. As you know, I wanted Kipnis, Kinsler or Carpenter, but that ain’t likley happening. The guy that could be had is Ben Zobrist who is getting on a .362 (.355 career) clip and has an OPS+ 22 points higher than our current starter. And, that is considerably better than any 2b we have though back-up Schumaker (.324 this year) has a career .344. Zobrist, unlike our utility guys, is an everyday player that can play everywhere. We could send them Schumaker, (OPS+ of 75) cash and and an A chip and they might do it. That is one cash strapped organization.

I don’t know where to find the .390 OBP lead-off guy.

oh wait, maybe I do….. until we find the right guy…..how about we lead off Yasiel Puig?

64. AnewBlueDay says:

Attention to the ownership of the Dodgers –
    Attention to the Commissioner’s Office –

It is time that ALL MAJOR LEAGUE BALL PARKS have padded walls in the outfield and along outfield foul walls.

Players have been getting hurt, injured for years and years.

Cases in point right now: Kemp last season in Arizona running into the wall there, and Puig last night in Dodger Stadium.

Dodger Stadium, take out that field level scoreboard in right field, and put up the pads. He could have been injured and out for weeks or months or a career.

Mr. Quasimodo,

I don’t really care for the mega contracts because it forces teams to lock up players for too many years. Some players that are locked up for these periods of time tend to lose some of their desire to work as hard as they can at their craft. However it does appear to be the way of the future for the young raising stars.

66. Idaho al says:

Good win last night. we did not have to use League, Guerrier, or Cruz. Great! Let Guerrier go and bring up Withrop. Colletti will never let League go. He will hold on to him just like Uribe. At least Uribe is now playing good baseball. I do not want the Dodgers to do any trading right now. All the pieces are there. Just the bull pen needs some help. Keep Ethier. Crawford is too fragile.

Do you mean Withrow al? Yeah, bring him up. Don’t know what you mean by “hold on to them like Uribe”. Withrow might be gone before August.

And al, you could say the same thing about Kemp. Crawford has been around a long time, and has 143+ games 7 times. Kemp, three years younger, would need 143+ for the next three years just to match that. I am confident Crawford will recover from this leg thing, and would ask the Dodgers to look into why it is happening. There are a lot of 30 year old players around the league who are not going down like our guys are.

Agree about the outfield walls Roger. No need for a ground level scoreboard. Dump it. And put 8′ padded walls all the way around, including down the lines. Bullpen guys can just look through windows as far as I am concerned.

68. AnewBlueDay says:

Bader, if the bull pens are located on the other side of the outfield fence — give them a 80 TV screen. But the padding needs to be installed in all parks — Puig could have been hurt in many ways last night.

Head, arm, shoulder, elbow, leg, ankle, eye/s, face, etc — with that scoreboard.

And Kemp — crashing into the Arizona centerfield wall — he has not been right since and needed surgery.

Is that not enough for us to cry out about.

Having played outfield for a few years in ballparks that have warning tracks, it’s my opinion they don’t work all that well. You are tracking a ball running full speed ahead and I cannot actually recall feeling anything that took my concentration off the ball. Maybe professional outfielders would have a different take on it, I don’t know. In fact, I have never heard any of them talk about it. But one thing I do know, most outfielders have a sense when they are getting close. It’s rare to see someone crash anymore. Most of them get there and set up, or just play the carom. Know how many full speed steps it takes to get to every part of your area. To tell you the truth, I don’t see visiting outfielders working on that, but maybe they do very early in the day.

My advice to all young outfielders? Don’t go full speed into a fence. (duh) I would rather see you pull up and play the ball off the wall.

69. AnewBlueDay says:

Honeycutt — I and others here have blasted him, called for a new pitching coach over the past several seasons . . .

But, time to give him his due.

The BullPen for good or bad, has turned some things around the last week or so. And I assume that part of the credit goes to Honey.

There are actually some very good arms down there. There are also some head cases. Maybe he is the guy who can get through to them. Hope so. We need them the rest of the way.

70. Gonzo says:

Great win last night. It seems that the Bison is playing to remind people who’s team this is. Hopefully a friendly competition between Puig and Kemp will give Kemp that edge he was missing. It looks like Matt is being more vocal and becoming more of a leader, I like that.

Anew, Jay Howell was the reason the bullpen was good for years, but he got promoted to asst. pitching coach and… you know the rest. He was the one that fixed League last year.

71. AnewBlueDay says:

The WALL and DEEP FLY BALLS — when it is a high arching ball, most times the outfielder is back there even waiting to time his leap — to catch the ball.

Just watch the video clip from last night where Puig hit the wall.

It was a fairly hard hit ball, almost a line-drive, not a high arching ball — and he hits the warning track and was reaching up to grab the ball and boom. Padding would have helped.

72. the truth hurts says:

I think it is fair to say that this team is clearly not Kemps anymore. He is definitely showing some fire and passion, the only problem I see is that his approach at the plate looks the same. He is fouling balls off left and right like he did previously, and his hits are on those over the top swings. I still do not see the Matt Kemp of old. Keep him at 5/6 and see what happens.

I will tell you one thing though, someone needs to tell him to stop slapping outfield walls and base paths because he is about to break something….be fired up, flex or scream or even sing a song, but don’t be stupid!

All Kemp needs to do to fix his offense is lay of pitches out of the strike zone. He does that, and he will hit .300 and get on at .367 again. His power will come back eventually. He’s only 28. He has 5 years of great numbers to be put up.

And I am not ready to hand this team over to Puig. The kid is 22. He will earn the right to lead, but for now let’s just try to keep him a bit humbled by what appears to be a Mike Trout like year. It will be his team soon enough.

Haha, the players are feeding off the young guy, but the leaders of this team is Kemp and Kersh. Let’s not kid ourselves.

Now that we’re pretty much back in the race, let’s hope to God Ned doesn’t overpay for a #4 starter.

74. AnewBlueDay says:

Bobby and Badger — I do not know, but I think many of the other players are either learning Spanish or brushing up on their Spanish — for when the kid speaks, they want to know what he says —–

• Bobby says:

While I agree with that last statement, Anew, I bet a LOT of players already know bits and pieces of baseball Spanish because they have spent so much time in the minors and majors with Spanish speaking players.

I get if people are trying to learn Korean for Ryu, but Spanish likely has been part of every baseball player’s life sine the age 18 nowadays!

75. Quasimodo says:

Mattingly’s skill at managing a bullpen have failed several times, but he deserves more credit with the lineups he designs. Steve Lyons pointed out Mattingly putting HanRam in when he did, knowing Hanley would be walked was good as it allowed Puig’s plate appearance. That was key for the victory. Give a fail-safe bullpen and he’d look like Einstein.

76. After I originally commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are
    added- checkbox and now each time a comment is
    added I get four emails with the same comment. Perhaps there
    is a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thank you!

Look at my webpage … how to get 1000 followers for free

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]