Insanity is alive and well with the Dodgers

We all know that insanity is doing what you have always done and expecting different results.  It does not take a genius to figure out that Stan Kasten is running a mental institution and possibly should be institutionalized himself for engaging in the same insane behavior.  Last night, the San Diego Padres beat their AA Affiliate, Los Angeles Dodgers even though the Dodgers outhit the Padres 11-9.  The facts are that the Padres scored 6 runs off of 9 hits and the Dodgers scored 3 runs off of 11 hits.

Typical – Insane!

Stan, are you insane?

Are you going to do what you have always done and expect different results?

The failure to hit is now part of the Dodger culture.  It’s part of the fabric of the Dodgers.

You have to change managers!  Even Ray Charles can see that.

Stop the insanity!

You have to do something.  There has to be accountability.  There has to be consequences.  Set the example.

It’s time for Don Mattingly to walk the plank!

Magic Johnson was scheduled to give the team a pep talk, but he had to go to another game.  It was more important.  It’s his real job.

custom-build

52 Responses to “Insanity is alive and well with the Dodgers”

1. AnewBlueDay says:

Well Mark, with Schumaker, Uribe, Ellis, and Ellis hitting in the lineup, and Herrera and Hairston as pinch hitters — that is 6 nothings . . . for trying to beat a hot team.

Then, the sluggers, AGon was 0 for 4 and Puig was 1 for 5. As I said last night, Puig showed his weakness and the pitching world will know that today. He has picked up the Kemp disease. The slider on the outside of the plate gets him out. Marquis made Puig look like a rookie. That HR in the first was a ball over the heart of the plate. After that — sliders on the lower outside corner and he really looked bad.

Ethier and Hanley had 4 hits between them — 4 singles. Dodgers only received 2 walks (the Padres had 4).

I just keep thinking. Bud Black just might be one of the best managers in the N.L. He has his guys up, playing super, and revived Marquis.

Dodgers are now 8.5 games out.

Padres are now in THIRD PLACE only 2.5 games out. Peter O’Malley’s new team is on the move. Bet ya Peter brings in Steve Garvey to wave his hand once and awhile.

“This has been the theme that has ran through this team for several years and the one constant is Donnie Ballgame.”

There is another constant Mark. And he has been around longer than Donnie.

I refuse to believe that the Sand E-eggo Padres will finish in front of the Los Angeles Dodgers. I cannot live in a world where that is true.

3. AnewBlueDay says:

Did not Elvis make a movie called “Follow That Dream”

Badger — wake up, smell the foul CA smoggy air — (Phoenix is worse) — and check the standings. The highest paid professional baseball team — has one of the worst records in all of baseball and plays terrible baseball. Even a young upstart comes and I the Dodgers have lost more games with him than they won.

Subject: minor league progression. Not that it is Logan White’s fault, but maybe instructors instead. The Dodgers draft players, sign players, made some minor league trades — now they have like 200 bodies down there to mold.

How are the catchers doing? Any of them raking? Learning the defensive side like they should? Where is the next Campy or Roseboro . . .

Infielders — we have bunches, but let us see some of the handiwork.

Outfielders — one is up, another on the DL, Joc a phone call away . . . and the rest?

Pitchers — we have seen bunches of these guys. Nothing great since Rubby was here and he was sent packing.

Is the Dodger system broke?

Badger, I am waiting for this great turn around. Sure, they can have a great second half:

If the first half ends at 35-46 — they might have to play the second half at 60-21. Is that possible?

Each starter would have 16 starts or so. If the big three won all of their starts: 16 X 3 = that is 48 wins, still need 10 to 12 more wins. Is that possible?

4. Jason says:

The Dodgers should pay me back for my $125 MLB.TV subscription fee. I can’t believe I wasted money to watch this garbage.

I don’t mail it in until we have all our starters out there. If the lineup that includes Kemp and Crawford, plus Puig and Gonzalez, does not win at 60%, then I will concede.

As for the minors, you don’t have to tell me. I have been bitching about our lack of depth for years. I am not against, nor am I for, Logan White. I figured for 5 years it had to do with the worst owner we have ever had pinching money for his high maintenance life style. Those days are over. What happens next? It’s already better as money is being spent on scouting and development.

This year may end badly. But it isn’t even half over yet.

There were hundreds of Miami fans that left early. What do those people look like to all of the sports world? Don’t leave early. Don’t EVER leave early.

Kevin Gregg’s for sale. Wonder what he would cost. At 35, I am sure he has a few more minutes of goodness left in him.

YAAAAAAAWN!

8. Watford Dodger says:

Had our chance with him – Ned didn’t take it.

9. Quasimodo says:

11 games under .500, what a can of worms!

10. Kevin says:

Do you use “even ray Charles can see that” in every post?

11. Bobbie17 says:

The game is played within each at bat and within each pitch count. The Dodgers have been horrible with both for years. No plate discipline; no 2 strike hitters; pitching behind in too many counts. IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR YEARS. IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY IN THE FARM SYSTEM FOR YEARS. The worst part of all this mess is that the opposing teams know when they take the field that somehow they will win. I think the Dodgers know that too. A change of managers probably won’t make a difference, but what the hell! I didn’t see one–not one–Dodger in the All Star game voting. This team is hopeless. By July 31, my guess is that they will be 15 games out. They will be sellers at the trading deadline, but what do they have to sell? Trade roll players for crappy minor leaguers? That will fix the problem. Right.

12. Quasimodo says:

Even the bottled water in L.A. is poisoned.

I have to admit that it’s hard to watch this team right now, however I’m not folding my hand until we get back some the missing pieces. We are only one hot streak away from the top. There’s still a lot of baseball to be played and we are in The NL West. Stay tuned

14. Dave says:

To me the game is won and lost in fundementals and focus , john baker was acquired on waivers in alb , just interesting , steve my boy said he loved to pitch to fedex , thought he was way better caller and reciever than ellis cant hit as well as ellis , but when steve said he had baker back there , he said the difference is amazing his words were dad the guys a pro amazing ability to feel and no a guy in the box , and has done his homework , but the point was steve said the confidence in your ability to get your guy goes thru the roof thats proper chemistry in understanding and application , where are those dynamics being applied properly thru the system , very important to get going on the right page for winning ned are you listening ?

15. Dave says:

Will see theres so many dynamics that face teams , the baker acqusition is small but it has very interesting perspective in the non visible areas from steves point hes learning much much more rapidly and its a confidence builder those understandings must be applied as effective tools of chemistry in building strength in the system let alone with the big club this game is just so damn hard tolls apply in so many applications !

16. Dave says:

Tampa bays communication with there prospects is amazing , they develope within at a alarming success rate with pitching , and they haft to to survive , and to sell off to acquire hitters there smart very smart i dont no whats in place with the dodgers of understanding , theres always seems to be ?s ! with rays im always learning a method to there madness ! its fascinating !

Just went through several reads on minor league systems. Most have us in the middle, with decent, but not great pitching prospects. I find that interesting after having won “Organization of the Year” a couple years ago. One article mentioned “lack of investment money” as an issue and said now that White & Co. have been unleashed it could improve. The Cardinals, Mariners, Rangers and Rays are at the top of everyone’s list. The Padres system is better than ours, which at the moment is kinda scary cuz they are threatening in the West.

oh, and what Bill just said. Never leave early. We have a win streak in us. It’s coming.

18. Rob says:

The problem is not the talent we have it’s the mental state of the team. Instead of waiting for something good to happen we are always waiting for the next man to step up and blow the game. This team has no trust in eachother and it shows on the field. That starts at the top with Donnie. We have one walk off win on a wild pitch this year, JUST ONE! A new approach could get this team jump started because the current way is not working.

19. Mark Sweeney says:

Yikes, I wrote this blog about 2 months ago!

20. AnewBlueDay says:

Donnie would have been great with the 1927 Yankees. Just fill out the card and watch ‘em play.

With all the injuries and setbacks — his lineup has not always been the best, his choice of players has not been the best, his taking out and leaving in of starters has not been the best, and not getting the pen to be effective has lost many games. He really uses the left – right thing for lineups and pitching matchups.

Also, I do not think he inspires from the bench; do not know about the clubhouse. But when a team has been as bad as the Dodgers this season — sometimes for some players — a manager has to get in their faces — real come to Jesus meetings.

Cruz is a mystery. The man just cannot hit. And McGuire has not helped him. Yet, he is still on the team (I know, he is Puig’s buddy).

As Badger and I have said for months now: just adding Herrera is only adding another Cruz, Hairston, Punto, Uribe, Schumaker — AND NO, I DID NOT VOTE FOR ANY OF THEM FOR THE ALL-STAR GAME.

21. jerry says:

no one on the dodger deserve, to be in the all star game..except mybe gonz, my be we should use are long reliever in the 8th and 9th inning.league, should be use in a blow out game only.and belersio so be dfa..

22. Quasimodo says:

The best pitcher in baseball is 0-2 against Padres. Kershaw does a great job in not showing the frustration that HAS to be poking him in the chest. And its not like its anything new. We’re gonna lose him. He’s got to be more upset with the ‘same old same old’ than all of us put together. I won’t blame him for going elsewhere.

23. jerry says:

waiting to make move until after the allstar break is just stupid..something needs to be done now..i dont care about the left and right handed batters…it not working ..get a set line up and stick to it..the best batting ave…and go from there..

24. jerry says:

mark ellis ..has made more errors since he came back from his injurys….it s been about 3 in a week. 2 in one game and one big one last night.

Kevin,

Even Ray Charles can see that I don’t.

26. AnewBlueDay says:

Someone mentioned to be “sellers” at the break time here . . .

Just who are we “selling” ——

A.J. Ellis ?

Mark Ellis ?

Jerry Hairston ?

Nick Punto ?

Juan Uribe ?

Skip Schumaker ?

Andre Ethier ?

Kenley Jansen ?

Stephen Fife ?

Just who ?????????

You do not sell Kershaw nor Greinke. Not much left. Puig is not going anywhere.

Best the Dodgers drop, simply drop some of those players — just let them walk.

27. Mark Sweeney says:

Ethier has to be a prime product to be sold, he still has some value that could entice other teams. Mark Ellis could fit in that category as well. Not to sure who else would fit the bill for the Dodgers willing to move and another willing to obtain.

The biggest problem with doing deals right now is that Sned is going to be the GM making the moves, he has shown a great propensity to be caught with his drawers around his ankles, bent over at the waist in the receiving position for a major screw job (I know lovely visual, but it fits I’m afraid).

Along the same lines, I don’t see the Dodgers in the buying position either, they would have to be closer and with a real possibility of reaching the gold ring in order to be in the buyers market, I believe. You know it (well a few of you don’t know it) and I know it, they aren’t that close to being that level of team.

The Kemp situation, he needs to be shut down for a lengthy period of time and be 100%, maybe until Aug 1. He struggles when injured, at least he did last year starting long before the shoulder injury, as in the hammy injury early on. He never looked or performed the same after that. He doesn’t appear to be the type of player that does well if he isn’t 100%, argue if you want but just look at the stats, regardless of “severity of injury” that someone mentioned as an excuse for his performance. Doesn’t make him a bad guy or a guy who isn’t trying, it makes him a guy who doesn’t perform well if nursing an injury, just that simple.

28. Rob says:

I keep waiting for the headline on espn that says, “don Mantingly fired after a horrible start to the 2013 season.”

Will the Dodgers be spending more money?

This guy doesn’t count against the new international signing cap that went into effect last year. Since I’ve never seen him I don’t have an opinion, but it would be interesting if the Dodgers decided he was worth flexing their financial muscle.

30. AnewBlueDay says:

So if the Dodgers trade M. Ellis for prospects, Ethier the same, and one or two others . . .

Then the GM (who ever that is) has to either trade other stuff later to fill those holes or look to FAs. Do that and that means draft picks the next season, and I do not want to do that.

But — if Ellis is gone from Dodger plans next season . . . then dump him.

Someone has to figure out that outfield dance. But remember, Puig was figured out last night — and is going to have to learn to hit that slider on the corner or stay away from it —— Matt Kemp still cannot.

31. AnewBlueDay says:

Baltimore has about twice as many HRs this season as the Dodgers.

Interesting . . .

The Dodgers are 27th in HRs, but the D-Backs are only 1 better at 26. The Giants are worse at 28 . . .

So the Dodgers with Hanley and Kemp coming back and if Ethier can wake up and Puig continue in some way — they will have MORE power.

32. AnewBlueDay says:

Seems like ownership is frozen — when it come to making a few significant changes to this team —— and should have done so, months ago.

This 3B problem. Uribe is only there, IMO, because Ned is paying him so much. So far used: Uribe 33, Cruz 20, Punto 11, Hairston 7, Ellis filled in 1, Sellers filled in 1.

SS, with Hanley out almost all season, it has been a patch quilt work of just about everyone. Ramirez for 9 games, Sellers for 20, Gordon 17, Cruz 10, Punto 15. What a mess this has been.

I have said the following an continue to say it — with this weak hitting team, our catchers just do not have enough in their bats. Sorry for A.J. supporters. He is trying but just is not what this team needs in many ways. A must for upgrade over the winter.

And if you say, well FedX will take over soon — he has 63 ABs and is hitting .190. He is really only a AAA player and backup in the majors.

33. AnewBlueDay says:

Anyone watching tonight?

The guys look terrible.

Clayton has given up a HR already.

34. Rob says:

Herrera was a great call up, please join the error train! Clayton does not look good tonight and we can’t score runs on a guy making a spot start, how embarrassing.

35. Rob says:

Herrera is a hot mess in left field!

36. Bball says:

Kershaw hasn’t been the same since Donnie dumb ass left him in for over 130 pitches that one time. Just another fuck up by mattingly. What is this new ownership doing. They have to see that shit is screwed up. I’ve supported them till now but I’m starting to change my view of them. This team is horindous I don’t no why I’m still watching. We all no this game is over. Maybe ranked is on.

37. Bball says:

Tanked*

38. Bball says:

Looking at AJ Ellis bat. He’s just all around blaw. Is McCann a dodger next year and should he be?

39. Dino says:

THIS TEAM IS EMBARASSING. NO DAMN HEART. BEEN A FAN ALL MY LIFE. I AM DONE!!!!

40. Rob says:

Who is this Cy Young candidate Stauffer?

41. AnewBlueDay says:

So after April – May and 21 days in June — Clayton will by 5 and 5 headed for the Hall of Fame.

I think he is gone to Texas or St. Louis or the Yankees or somewhere where he can win — and that will be some time in L.A. before that happens. It has been since 1988 the last time.

42. Dave says:

And yes whether you like him or not joe maddon is a brilliant manager , he can address , the variable temperaments positively, in my opinion better than most , actually a perfect fit for la but he’d never take the job he loves florida ! articulate , firm , positive , and honest for the big boys hes perfect ! just my take ! fire away !

43. Rob says:

Why can’t I just stop watching these train wrecks night after night?

44. jerry says:

from what i under stand ..there is just one of the owner that no’s something about baseball..so they depend on him…so it time to start to question him..if he no’s what he is doing..just because you have money ….i no a lot of stupid rich people..they get rich because they usually shit on people..not because what they no.

45. Jason says:

Wow. Just wow.
    Starter leaves after 2 pitches and they still get owned.

46. Anonymous says:

How much is that doggie in the window, ruff ruff

47. Mark Sweeney says:

I don’t think they figured out Puig as one poster has mentioned. A guy going hitless in one game does not = “they figured him out”. Puig is a huge talent that could actually win the ROY award even though he wasn’t called up until mid-June. You might want to BOOK IT.

You can’t book anything this early. And yes, with over half a season left, it’s early enough to get it going and turn this around.

Will they? With every passing day, and with every weak ass loss, the odds drop.

But, I am not going to let it ruin my summer. It’s baseball season. The Rangers and Blue Jays look like they are playing better. One good push makes it interesting. I said this last year as everyone seemed to give up, and the Dodgers actually made it interesting down the stretch.

And, I have my B team. The dbacks are a fun team to watch. They do a lot of things right and if it can’t be the Dodgers, might as well root for the local team. ANYONE but cept the midgets.

Sellers? Sell Ramirez and put Gordon in at shortstop the rest of the year. Sellers? Trade Ethier to the Rangers where he will hit .300 with an OPS+ of 130. Sellers? Capuano to a contender for a top AA player. Sellers? Dump Schumaker, Punto, Ellis and Uribe, all of whom have value as what they really are – experienced back-up utility guys who can get you get a base hit in clutch situations. Sellers? How about Kemp? He doesn’t seem to be a guy who can put together back to back MVP years. He could fetch a ton of young talent.

But I don’t do ANY of that until the deadline. And I don’t do ANY of that unless Jed has counsel from Kasten, Mattingly, White, Lopes, Wallach, Watson, Lovelace, Bard, Sele, Castro, Viscaino and anyone else around there with years of experience.

49. Watford Dodger says:

Badger – I really do love your positivity but u’ve been saying we will pick up for weeks now but to be honest we actually look like we are getting worse if that is possible. I know what you mean about putting a run together but to be honest even with a good run we are too far back – there’s no saying the Diamondbacks are gonna catch a crab. In fact the only glimmer of light is that all the other NL West teams keep beating each other and we have been the only whipping boys in the division. It has meant that no one has got too far ahead. In any other division we’d be dead already. But let’s be honest we are playing like a team devoid of all confidence. It may improve but it won’t be enough. You talk about trades – sell Ramirez and put Gordon at SS – really? The trade I would do tomorrow would be a straight swap Kemp for Stanton. I know everyone in here wants us to do well but it’s time to look to the future.

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]