I refuse to use the D word!

I told you that I would not write about such a deplorable team as the D_______ until they made changes and I meant it.  Instead, I will tell you about the Indianapolis Indians, the AAA affiliate of the Pirates who just dominated the D________.

On the team are four (4) former D_________, namely:

• Ivan DeJesus – .315 BA (10 errors)
  • Andrew Lambo – .200 BA
  • Jerry Sands – .196 BA
  • Lucas May – .180 BA

Now add in Trayvon Robinson who is hitting .235 at AAA Norfolk and James McDonald (5.76 ERA), who has flamed out faster than Brandon League and one has to wonder about the D___________ prospects.

• Greg Miller – Who?
  • Alfredo Silverio – gone
  • Aaron Miller – can’t pitch – being converted to a hitter after several years.
  • Pedro Baez – can’t hit – being converted to a pitcher after several years.
  • Ethan Martin – Gone
  • Rubby De La Rosa – Gone
  • Allen Webster – Gone
  • Nate Eovaldi – Gone
  • Josh Lindblom – Gone
  • Logan Bawcom – Gone

Two players the D_______ could use are Bryan Morris (3-2 with 14 hits in 30 innings .91 WHIP) and Carlos Santana who is playing DH and 1B nearly as much as he is catching.  Don’t forget about James Loney who has about the same stats as Adrian Gonzalez and Russell Martin who is doing OK back in the NL.

But hey, no one has ever overpaid more ($600,000 more) for a team.   No team has ever paid more and got less for their money.  No team can screw up a train-wreck like the D______________.

Things are so bad that some moron chastised me for mis-spelling Donnie’s name.  Obviously, you have to shoot the messenger.

Oh, and quit putting this all on McCourt.  Plenty of teams win more with less than McCourt had.  Excuses are like…

64 Responses to “I refuse to use the D word!”

“Obviously, you have to shoot the messenger.”

OK. You’ll heal up.

The D______ are 7 games back with 94 left to play. Our starting studs that have been on the DL are healing.

We got the West right where we want them.

2. emerson-Lake says:

I too hate the way the D…….s have misjudged and overhyped and wasted their prospects. You can add Werth and Victorino and even Broxton is looking good to me now. Nice nice picture, Mark, looking good(er)!

3. Mark Sweeney says:

I know which poster’s family member that picture belongs to. You must of broke into _____________’s icloud account, Mark. You crafty devil.

I am still proud to be a Dodgers’ fan, and will never make them a nameless team, shame shame shame! Some teams, some people and even some nations deserve to be nameless but not the DODGERS, NEVER EVER!

Is ____________ still managing the Dodgers?

Not brave enough to actually name the account ‘sweenie?

I will. roid rage. Ever heard of him?

5. Bobbie17 says:

This series should have been highly anticipated. Instead, we have two teams in various stages of disintegration. What a shame.

6. Quasimodo says:

Good morning men, and perhaps one lady, pretty dry chat here today and I’ve got nothing remotely dynamic to add. I’m hungover from meds. Its been my thinking the AL has been over rated these past couple years. Dodgers @ yankees will hopefully substantiate those feelings. We may get to see Dodgers hit a couple HR’s more in this series….I’m thinking of several near the fence hits that would of been in the seats had they been hit at Yankee Stadium-AGon hit back to back fly-outs Sunday that’d been HR’s if hit there. Its too bad Ryu won’t bat today, what better park is there for a chance to hit HR’s.

We got plenty of guys with warning track power Quas. I’m thinking Ethier goes yard… twice… in this series. I got a one pound bag of lima beans I am willing to wager.

wait a minute…. to hit it over a close fence, you actually have to pull the ball in this park don’t you…

nevermind.

It’s sad. It’s June. We’re going to Yankee Stadium!!

And nobody cares. Because we are that damn boring. (except for Puig, Kersh, Ryu)

We aren’t that boring Bobby. We have like the 24th best record in all of baseball.

OK, bad example… let me try again…

We got Long Gone Juan Uribe…..

another bad example…..

we got Schumaker… and you never know when you might need a new pair of schu’s.

one more time…..

we got a guy named Punto which is just one letter from meaning “butt” in Spanish.

uh….. I got to go water my trees.

9. Rob says:

What does it take to fire Donnie? This team should be at .500 but with bad managerial skills we are way under that mark. I am past the depression faze and understand this might be a selling year but it still sucks big time.

10. Rob says:

Oh and I will be at the midgets and friars game tonight. I am wondering who I any to win.

11. Quasimodo says:

Okay, maybe the name should be the L.A.ckadaisicals. But I’m looking forward to tonight’s game. Yankees just might be what the doctor ordered to set for a turn around.

12. AnewBlueDay says:

I believe . . .

13. Rob says:

Uribe must still be hurting because he is not in the starting line up tonight. Hairston at DH and Hanley at SS.

Wouldn’t this be a good time to DH Hanley and slowly bring that hammy along?

Again, another weird move by Donnie Clueless

Mark,

I won’t criticize your spelling. But your math needs work. I think you meant 600,000,000 NOT 600,000. Then again, why quibble over a few zeros? Of course Mark, if you had an edit/preview button you may have caught the typo. Then again, you probably have one on your end.

When I criticized the Dodgers medical staff the other day I noted that it’s questionable why they didn’t insist that Matt Kemp have surgery last year when he slammed his shoulder into the fence at Coors. And, in fact, why didn’t they insist that he be kept from playing. When Kemp had the surgery they found more damage than was anticipated. How much of that damage may have come about by Kemp continuing to play in pain after the injury? Why don’t teams understand that a substitute is more often than not preferable to an injured star unable to perform up to his usual standards?

Here’s another example of how things have changed since Guggs took over ownership. Maybe this kid will turn out to be nothing, and maybe he’ll turn out to be special. Whatever the case, there would be no chance of the latter without the sale of the team.

The Dodger farm system will not be re-built overnight, but in time we will begin to see more and more prospects emerge. Just requires some patience.

17. dpwtv says:

They’ve signed more young international stars in one year than McCourt did in six years. These guys know what they’re doing long term… short term, we’ll see.

dpwtv, couldn’t agree more. And because of the long term, it’s why they paid what they paid. This is a long term investment, and these guys can afford the short term costs. Heck, they can likely absorb even some long term costs.

That’s what many of us have been saying since last year.

Patience. It’s all going to work out.

Just watched a great NBA Finals game that came down to two non calls in overtime. Allen hacked Ginobli and Bosh nearly launched somebody into the cheap seats with a hip check that would have made Bobby Orr proud. I believe in letting them play, but, come on. You wouldn’t swallow your whistle in San Antonio – don’t do it in Miami.

Game 7. Methinks this is working out just as the Angel of Stern planned it.

Quiet in here.

Just watched the President’s speech. They love him all over the free world.

Lets play two. This will reveal our incredible depth.

• AnewBlueDay says:

Noticed that Fox News was covering the president’s Berlin message, but cut away to talk about their Tea Party. They just do not like or want their listeners to like the President.

21. Gonzo says:

Not to defen the refs but Ginobli got fouled after his third step. The other non call yes. But, SA shot itself in the foot with the missed free throws by Ginobli and Leonard.

Back to the Dodgers, In an older thread some dude gave a list of the Dodgers’/Logan White’s picks after I opined that he too (White) should be in the list of those that should be fired according to Mark.

Chad Billingsley – Has been a bust.Could have drafted Adam Jones instead.

Jonathan Broxton- Servicable but flamed out. Could have drafted Brian McCann

James Loney- Flirted with being servicable, bust. Could have drafted Matt Cain.

Russell Martin- teased for the first three years and flamed out. Servicable MLBer

Clayton Kershaw- Best pitcher in MLB

Matt Kemp- One of the best when healthy

AJ Ellis- servicable

Yasiel Puig- Was discovered by Mike Brito and Logan White did nothing but offer him a contract.

So out of seven players mentioned, 2 have turned out to be bonafide stars. AJ Ellis will platoon with Fed Ex soon. If you look at his whole body of work it isn’t great. LA hasn’t had the luxury of drafting early, but teams like the Cardinals seem to be able to find those diamonds in the rough. If the McCOurt didn’t provide $$ for scouting is the defense for White, I give him a couple more years but wouldn’t be sad if he’s thrown to the curb with the others. And before it is mentioned that these players are doing good this year, I only care what they did or didn’t do in blue.

The two step rule became three steps some time ago. On that play, Ginobli was hacked across the arm as he was going up. That’s a foul. And nobody seemed to be bothered with Bosh’s crash into… whoever that was, on the last play of the game. OK, I can live with that, IF it is called consistently. It is not. Swallow the whistle in certain situatios, one of the distinct advantages of having the final two games on your home court. And you can bet your ass it will be exactly the same in Game 7. Home court advantage is probably worth 3 points. From the book “Scorecasting”:

16. In the NBA, fouls and turnovers that are not subjective referee calls (like shot clock violations) are equal for home and road teams. But for subjective calls, away teams get between 1 and 1.5 more of those per game. Visiting players are 15 percent more likely to be called for traveling than home players.

17. “How much of the [HFA] in the NBA is due to referee bias? If we attribute the differences in free throw attempts to referee bias, this would account for 0.8 points per game. If we gave credit to the referees for the more ambiguous turnover differences … this would also capture another quarter of the home team’s advantage. Attributing some of the other foul differences to the referees and adding the effects of those fouls (other than free throws) … brings the total to about three-quarters of the home team’s advantage. And, remember, scheduling in the NBA [visiting teams play more back-to-back games than home teams] explained about 21 percent of [HFA]. This adds up to nearly all of the NBA home court advantage.”

22. Jason says:

Quas, I thought the Pirates series was what the doctor ordered.

What’s the deal with Crawford?

23. Gonzo says:

Forgot to mention that this guy mentioned Logan is very successful.

24. emerson-Lake says:

I’ve question it before and I do again–Logan’s Bloodlines thing really hasn’t payed off–unless Van Slyke turns out to be the big winner. Could be–but it’s a long shot, and if so, someone else will get him.

25. AnewBlueDay says:

If Hanley keeps trying to play SS and not hitting — Heck put in Sellers there, he is about the best field SS the Dodger have and at least tries.

Sellers would, in normal circumstances, but the 9th inning defensive replacement. Mark Belanger made a pretty good living with that role. But, our team is not operating under normal circumstances. We have several 9th inning replacements, and heat of summer back-up guys in every day roles. When Kemp and Crawford get back, changes will be made.

Under normal circumstances we really don’t need both Punto and Schu. They are the same guy. I like them both, but, how many utility guys do you want on a team? I want a 4th outfielder that can play defense and hit the occasional bomb, I want a utility guy that can play all infield positions. But what I want more than figuring out who comes in late, I want my first team healthy and on the field for the finish.

26. AnewBlueDay says:

Get Schu off of 2nd base. He just loves to screw up ground balls.

Puig made a big mistake trying to stretch that single into a double in the first inning.

This is a major league game; not a game down in AA or Cuba.

Sick looking team on the field today for the Dodgers.

Maybe they can rebound.

27. Rob says:

Hitting the ball hard but right at someone. Bad luck for eithier on that comebacker double play.

28. Rob says:

Fucking belasario! What a bone head play. We will lose this game because of that.

29. my boy blue says:

That Belisario play sums up this Dodger season-BONEHEAD

30. Rob says:

I like how the broadcasters called out Donnie on how Suzuki hits lefties but he still brings in paco

31. Quasimodo says:

Dodgers need to make Uribe a reliever……really!

32. jerry says:

other team ,s seem like they just put the bat on the ball..but we try for the fence and never score..this team suck..not fundamentals what so ever.

33. jerry says:

belisario..need not to be brought in if the game is close.he just cant get out any more…how long does it take donnie to see that.

34. Idaho al says:

You cannot trust Belisario or League anymore in the bull pen. You might as well let them sit or get rid of them. We have to be the worst defensive team in the major league.

35. Rob says:

Belly is a mess, Donnie makes a bad call bringing in Paco against Suzuki all equals a loss

Forgettable performance.

37. AnewBlueDay says:

Major sports — all of them — the head (commissioners) really like it when the BIG teams win the W.S. or Championships or S.B. or S.C — because of the fan sales of stuff.

If Miami beats the Spurs, it will be millions more in sales for stuff around the world.
    When the Yankees win, same thing.

And other sports . . . but if the Twins or K.C. or Tampa Bay or some other smaller town market win — lesser sales.

And those logo products have cuts of money that go to the leagues. $$$$$ makes the call.

True Roger.

From MLB:

“For reasons unknown the press wasnt allowed in to talk to Belisario.”

Really? Unknown reasons? I’ll tell you why, he was being hung by his thumbs in the locker room. What a moron that guy is.

We need to upgrade the bullpen. Does anyone trust Jed to do it?

13th in the league in slugging. 5 hits and only 2 runs.

This lineup will look damn scary when Kemp and Crawford get back. Of course that means Ethier becomes the most expensive 4th in baseball.

Do the Dodgers ever score when they get the bases loaded?

39. Rob says:

I wonder if the Yankees would be willing to take most of eithiers contract if they stayed in the race.

40. AnewBlueDay says:

Say, who is this team on the field playing the Yankees tonight? I do not recognize them.

41. Rob says:

So why didn’t we bring up Puig earlier?

I think it’s possible Cruz can get below .100 before he is cut.

43. Rob says:

With Hernandez DFA I think Cruz has no shot at a below .100 BA.

I calculate that Cruz has to go 0 for 33 to get below .100. I sure hope he isn’t around for another 33 at bats. Not that I want him back, but Justin Sellers would be preferable.

45. Quasimodo says:

Puig is surely the real deal. Only one player in the history of the game to have more hits in 1st 15 games. It looks like Dodgers are near having 4 OFer’s to rotate through the dog days. Who’d a thunk it?

46. Idaho al says:

Withrow looks good. He throws strikes and has a good fast ball. League was his usually self. A lot of his pitches do not even come close to the strike zone. He pitched to only three batters, but the first one is the only one where I thought he looked good. The first six in the line up looked good.

Withrow definitely throws hard. But his history is one of NOT throwing strikes. I would have to see a lot more than an inning or two of 95-98 mph fastballs. Big league hitters can hit that stuff if they know it’s coming. And although he was lighting up the radar gun, I didn’t see lots of movement on his pitches. But two innings is a small sample, so I’m not ready to make any judgments. I’d also like to get a better look at his secondary offerings. But all in all, I’d like to see his role expanded. The way things are going, it certainly can’t hurt.

48. the truth hurts says:

This might be the start of a THREE game win streak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flight back to San Diego, 10pm start EST…..

Damn it.

You’re right about Cruz Brooklyn. He is 1 for his last 18, and if he does that again, which he surely could do, it only takes him to .118. Getting below the .100 mark would be difficult, even for him. I did notice something as I was checking his stats – he has an OPS+ of 1. I have never seen that. The fact that he is still around is a glaring testament to how shallow the Dodgers depth actually is. There is not a team in the league that would put up with that.

It’s a big IF, but if Kemp and Crawford come back and do what they are capable of doing, our lineup is good enough to string some wins together. And, Ethier is doing exactly what I knew he would eventually, putting together a nice little streak. I have no problem with him being our 4th in July and August. I also have no problem with moving him.

Pods and midgets. 7 in row would be sweet.

Anybody know what is going with Kemp? Crawford?

btw, great outing by Capuano.

50. Quasimodo says:

Badger, Kemp just completed his aggressive running program yesterday. I take that as soon as anytime. I was surprised he was with Dodgers today and not at a rehab. Crawford’s return could be by July 1st.

51. Watford Dodger says:

I cannot understand anyone thinking that Ethier should be the one to sit when Kemp comes back. We’ve been waiting all season for him to get hot so it makes no sense to bench him now he’s warming up. Kemp was struggling before the hammy so what’s changed to make people think he’s gonna start lighting it up now. Let Kemp play AAA until be finds some form.
    We need to play the guys in form which means Cruz out and Uribe in. We’ve been waiting 3 years for him to get hot and even before the back issue Donny was still platooning him with Cruz & Punto. Also – if they start Magill on Sunday that would surely be the worst decision ever. His confidence is shot & he walks about 50% of batters he faces. Must give an untainted starter a chance. Also – can anyone explain the Harang/Hernandez exchange. Made no sense on any level. Also – Jamie Wright would have re-signed with us but Ned let him walk. Where is our Longman? Every team needs one. Also – bonehead Bellasario must go. Can’t get anyone out and we’ve already got League doing that job nicely for us – we can’t afford two of em. Also – I can see the offense heating up but until we address our weak Bullpen then it could go to waste. Surely time to get some new, younger, more confident arms in. The current ones have the smell of fear in their nostrils. That’s all I got to say.

W…. Kemp will rehab eventually, but you can’t leave him there. Same with Crawford. Crawford, Kemp, Puig and Ethier. If all are healthy, who do you sit? It’s a tough choice, but with Crawford’s speed, hitting over .300 with a .358 OBP, I sure don’t want to sit him. You can’t sit Kemp or Puig…. who do you put on the bench? We will have the month of July to figure that one out, and at that time, maybe one of them is to go? I have no idea how that will play out.

Agree about the bullpen. Maybe Withrow is an answer. He looked good yesterday. Perhaps someone out there would be interested in Belisario. I have seen all I want to of him. He his the prototypical 100 dollar arm, ten cent head pitcher.

53. AnewBlueDay says:

Outfielders

Crawford – left handed
    Ethier – left handed
    Kemp – right handed
    Puig – right handed

Donnie loves to play the right – left thing.

So – right handed starting pitcher: Crawford, Kemp, Ethier
    Left handed starting pitcher: Kemp, Puig, & ??

Crawford vs. left handed .311
    Ethier vs left handed .211

So its Crawford with Kemp, and Puig. That is how Donnie likes to play it so far, stats.

BUT WAIT . . . Puig would sit against right handed pitchers — and he is hitting .432 against righties.

And EVERYONE knows that Puig has to play at least 6 out of 7 games each week (full week).

Key here is, more injuries. Crawford and Kemp have really not been healthy all season . . . who is to say they come back in a week or so and can go into October without missing a beat.

Because even if the Yankees traded for Ethier with some good prospects and take his salary . . . then the Dodgers are stuck with: Castellanos, Herrera, Schumaker, Scott Van Slyke, Joc Pederson . . . or some other minor leaguer to put the team over the top.

Fair analysis Roger. The Dodgers will have 3 All Star outfielders and Puig. They also have back-ups that offer nearly identical skill sets. They could use help in the bullpen and quite possibly another starter. It will be very interesting to see how Jed and Donnie handle this.