I am not confident in this team…

But, with six wins in a row, I am hopeful.  A week ago, the Dodgers were 12 games under .500.  Now it’s six and I am hopeful.

Just not confident!  If they can reel off another six, maybe I’ll get that confidence back.

Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw are the leaders of this team, but Yasiel Puig is rapidly earning his respect.  If Kemp can get his swing back, the Dodgers have three of the best offensive players in baseball on their team in Puig, Ramirez and Kemp.  Adrisn Gonzales isn’t chopped liver, but it doesn’t appear he’s a superstar anymore. If you like to look at WAR, Adrian is 11th among major league first basemen behind the likes of Chris Davis, Paul Goldschmidt, Joey Votto, Edwin Encarncion, Brandon Belt, Anthony Rizzo, Adam Lind and (GASP) James Loney.  He will be 32 next season and will likely decline even more.  Still, he’s a productive player and the Dodgers are unlikely to trade him, especially with no 1B on the horizon in the minors.  As a left sandwiched between RH Puig, Ramirez and Kemp, he has value… plus he’s a great guy.  I know that he’s a hard worker on fittness, but maybe this winter he should change up his routine to include more “yoga-type” exercise.  That might help restore some of his lost power.

As maligned as Ned has been about the pen, I believe they are better than we’ve seen. There are some very good arms there, but  there’s no excuse however for Brandon League.  Belisario has the capability – hopefully he can turn it around.  I think a guy who might surprise everyone is Steve Ames.   He has a 3.48 ERA at AAA, but I see a guy who reminds me of Cory Wade in his two good years in LA.  Give him a shot, Ned!

I am hopeful, but not yet confident.  Still, no one roots for the team more than I do and I am thrilled when they win.

Carl Crawford is due back soon, but you all know how I feel about him – I don’t think he will stay healthy.  As Badger said, the Dodgers need a leadoff hitter.  I have loved Jose Altuve for quite some time.  He would look great in the leadoff spot.   I would trade Zach Lee, Dee Gordon and Joc Pederson for him.  The Astros need young players.  Altuve would look great at the top of the Dodgers lineup.  How’s this?

1. Altuve 2B
  2. Kemp  CF
  3. Puig  RF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Ramirez  SS
  6. Ethier/Crawford  LF
  7. Uribe 3B
  8. Ellis  C

I can live with Uribe at 3B the rest of the year.  Seager need another year and a half.

Sorry, I have been so sporadic in posting, but we are starting a couple of new businesses:  www.wyliepalooza.com and Timmons Water Systems (website coming soon).  I am just crazy busy but having a ball!

4th-of-july

64 Responses to “I am not confident in this team…”

1. Bobbie17 says:

They won a game they should have lost. 3 dps. That’s what makes a winning streak. They showed some fight. I think Puig is rubbing off a bit. Can it last? We shall see.

“I am not confident in this team…” McTimmons

We know. It’s what we have heard from you all year.

We aren’t even at full strength and we are showing signs of some fight. The West is just not all that. We can win this thing.

Oh, not a bad trade idea.

Altuve is an interesting player. Good hitter, good speed, don’t know too much about his defense, and I wonder why a guy that’s 5’5″ doesn’t draw more walks. His OBP leaves something to be desired.

Something to be said for that deal, but I’m not totally convinced. Maybe if I saw Altuve play regularly I’d change my mind. And because he is young, maybe Altuve over time will find a way to get on base more, which is, after all, the job of a lead-off hitter.

And of course, the players in that deal might also be used in other deals. But if the Dodgers did it, I wouldn’t complain. I’d just sit back and wait to see how it all turned out. Maybe on a team where he was encouraged to get on base, Altuve would adjust. Circumstances can alter a player’s approach.

Rather have you other idea of Seager at 3rd.

6. Quasimodo says:

Timmons’ timing was surely right….with water that is. Mark, most of us here are from a different era-50 years ago, in the So Cal desert, I remember one of the water bills my parents got during the summer. The bill was $0.26 for two months. The water one of the purest districts in Cal. A family of 6 with automatic sprinklers for the lawns. Not baseball, but still interesting.

7. Dino says:

I WOULD LOVE ALTUVE LEADING OFF. WE NEED OFFENSE MORE THAN STARTING PITCHING. GO GET HIM NED

Altuve makes us better. That is A LOT to give up, which is why I think Houston would do it. They have a lot of needs. He is only 23, his OBP should improve.

Why would Seattle part with Seager? I have asked that question and nobody has answered it.

The only way Seattle parts with Seager is if they are OVERWHELMED!

I think I may want Altuve more than Seager.

Seager is good and will likely get better. He is arb eligible through 2015 and not a free agent until 2018. None of Seattle’s top prospects are third basemen so he is not being pushed. I ask again – why would Seattle move him?

Prediction: Nolasco for Matt Magill and Steve Ames as soon as today is what I just read. I would take that.

Mark Ellis can get us through this season just fine at 2nd. Dee Gordon is down on the farm playing 2nd for next season. That is why I would rather have a 3rd baseman. Plus Altuve is a midget. How is he gonna jump for a line drive? just kidding of course. I understand it would take more to get Seager but it would be nice to have the next up and coming David Wright on the team. Just my opinion.

14. Anonymous says:

You would give your top two prospects plus Gordon for Altuve? Yikes! I also see Ames as another Josh Wall. Don’t think his stuff will allow him to succeed in the big leagues.

If the Dodgers acquire Nolasco, Does anyone feel they might convert Fife to a relief pitcher?

16. Watford Dodger says:

Who leaves the dance floor if Nalasco signs? Cappy & Fife both doing a good job.

17. Rob says:

We have yet to address our long relief issue. Maybe Fife could be that guy and make a start if a rotation guy is hurt.

18. Rob says:

I really don’t like the idea of getting nolasco. We are basically getting him just to keep him away from the rest of the west. I would rather get a guy we will have for the next couple of years if we give up any good prospects.

Maybe the rest of the West is just saying they are interested to drive Jed crazy.

Nolasco already has 100 innings. Kershaw is the only guy we have who has done that. He has an ERA+ over 100 and a WHIP under 1.2. He should do well in Dodger Stadium. He makes us better.

Now, about Altuve. How does Jed get him?

19. Bball says:

They finally dfa cruz. He had his 15 minutes. Our pop out rate should go down some now

20. the truth hurts says:

M Ellis 2B
    Puig RF
    Gonzalez 1B
    Ramirez SS
    Kemp CF
    Ethier LF
    Hairston 3B
    Federowicz C
    Capuano P

Let’s do it.

21. Rob says:

Badger I like the idea of getting Altuve. 2nd and 3rd are our only week spots and finding a 3rd baseman playing better then Uribe who is on the market will not happen.

Finding a 3rd basemen better then Uribe could even happen on our own bench (Punto). Uribe sucks. Not trying to disrepect you Rob but that shouldn’t be that hard. I’m just saying Mark Ellis can hold his own this year. 2nd should not be a priority for this team right now. 3rd base and Relief are glaring weak spots.

Yes, Uribe is playing better than he has in the past. But for me personally, I don’t trust having him in our lineup. In fact, because he’s playing better, maybe we can entice another team to take him off of our hands. They might even pick up a few of his dollars.

From all appearances, it seems as if Altuve would be an upgrade at 2nd. Mark Ellis has done a good job this year, but I go along with Badger’s take that “Yeah, Ellis is a stand-up guy who is a gamer. But, he is also 36, a 110 game guy with an OBP of .313.” Besides, after this year he’s gone. Altuve, especially if he improves in the OBP category, might turn out to be a solid long term solution. And like Puig, and Kemp, he might add some energy to this team. But it would no doubt take a solid package of players to get him, since I don’t think Houston has any intention of giving away a good young player w/o a nice return. The package that Mark offers is one they very well might take. We have Puig, Kemp, Ethier, and Crawford, and might well sign that Cuban free agent outfielder currently on the market (can’t remember his name), so Pederson is likely expendable. I still like Gordon, but you have to give to get, and we have Hanley for now at short. Zach Lee probably does profile as a solid middle of the rotation guy, but I believe the Dodgers have some pitching depth in the minors, and might well acquire some more. So he’s probably expendable.

Of course, there are so many possible deals out there, so these guys could well be used in another trade(s). The possibilities and variables are endless. So it might be Altuve, it might be Kyle Seager, it might be Nolasco, and it might be any number of other players, or a combination of players. Whatever the case, I do believe that the Dodgers will get something done, be it now or later.

24. AnewBlueDay says:

I think that everyone: the owners and GMs and managers and players of the N.L. West know —————- that the Dodgers are back, playing zipping baseball, and will move up in the standings ——– and just might be standing at the top when the end of September is on the calendar.

And I believe the Dodger players know that fact as well.

Sooooo I believe that ownership will do now what they think needs to be done. They will make some changes.

25. Gonzo says:

I said it before the season and I’ll say it again we need a stop gap Scott Brosius/Casey Blake type to play 3B for the next three years until Seager is ready. The guy I think fits that mold is Chris Johnson.

I still think Jemil Weeks would be serviceable for us. A trade of Gordon and another prospect for him would get it done. We solve our 2B and lead off situation.

Roger, absolutely agree.

I initially didn’t like that proposal for Altuve (or Saegar)

However, if we can land a 23 year old ascending, yet already proven player, it’s worth sending 2-3 prospects.

You figure 1 of those 3 prospects will become very good, 1 solid, and 1 ehh. I’ll take that risk for a proven commodity that’s got 10 years at least to play with us.

Now, will the other teams trade such a young, cheap, cornerstone of their rebuilding franchise type player? Who knows. Is Ned calling? Who knows. Will Dwight Howard stay? WHO THE HELL KNOWS!!!!

28. Gonzo says:

29. Gonzo says:

Double posted. Sorry guys. The iPad has a mind of its own.

30. Rob says:

Punto better then uribe? I don’t think so, Punto has tailed off and is a great player off the bench. I am not a fan of uribe but 2nd would be the priority with what’s out there.

Good posts Gonzo.

If we can’t talk the Mets into dumping Wrights salary then your plan sounds good to me. Uribe might actually work for the rest of the year but I agree with Brooklyn that he just doesn’t fill me with confidence. K Seager is a fantasy. Seattle would be stupid to part with him and it would take too much for a position we can fill other ways. We need a lead off guy, possibly another starter and maybe some bullpen help. Frankly I still believe we have the parts here to win the West – IF they all remain healthy. Word Championship? Not sure about that. We need those missing pieces to pull that off.

Wow our “future #4″ Ricky Nolasco pitched at home today vs. SD

5ip, 11 hits, 6runs, 5er, 0bb, 6k

Please don’t waste anything more than a marginal pick on him

33. Dodgerdog says:

God be praised:

Luis Cruz’s roster spot was getting more and more tenuous as the Dodgers got healthier and healthier. On Friday, he finally lost it. The Dodgers designated the popular infielder for assignment to make room for Scott Van Slyke to come off the disabled list.

Cruz was out of options, so he must now clear waivers and accept the assignment to Triple-A Albuquerque to remain in the Dodgers’ organization.

Can’t knock the smile off my face

Jemile Weeks looks kind of iffy to me.

Overrated like his brother.

Punto is a mid-30′s utility guy. But he is definitely better than Uribe. But then again, I am just naturally ill-disposed towards Uribe.

On the mound for the Phils,”Right hander John Lannon”, Vins pregame, I’m going I thought he was a southpaw…
    Time to win one for “The Vin”

36. Bball says:

Y all the uribe hate. The guys finally producing ( kinda) and you all want to hate. Do we need an upgrade YES but he’s solid on D and he’s actually hitting pretty well. So lay off my guy. At least Cruz won’t be at third anymore. Six in a row guys. No need to bash anyone during a winning streak. Remember 500 by the break.

37. Bball says:

John Lannon. I wonder if he was named after John Lennon. If so I like his parents. Smart people

No disrespect mind you, been listening to him since I was a kid but if you’re just listening and not watching these days, well

God bless him but what is even scarier, he is irreplaceable when he hangs em up

39. Bball says:

Well got there work cut out tonight to keep this going. The way this team is hitting. I think it’ll happen

Considering what a roster space waste Uribe has been for two years I think we are being kind.

By the way Gonzo, how do talk the Braves out of Johnson?

Cap 4 hits and a walk in the first?

Yikes.

Might be a long night.

42. Bball says:

Chance to pick up a game. Lets go boys

43. AnewBlueDay says:

Interesting watching a team that can really hit the baseball.

Cap is in the 2nd inning and already has over 50 pitches thrown.

It appears that a starter is needed. One has to wonder when the pitcher forgets to cover 1st on a double play. Yikes is right.

45. AnewBlueDay says:

Minor set-back.

46. AnewBlueDay says:

When the Dodgers make the playoff’s — they do not need 5 great starters. THEN they need 3 great starters, a solid pen, and take it to the bank.

BUT — to GET to the playoff’s — they need 5 starters who can hold . . . .

47. AnewBlueDay says:

Say, it this is batting practice — can I beam over the L.A. from Texas and have a few swings?

I know I can still drive the ball.

48. Quasimodo says:

No sweat, all we need is 13 runs.

49. Rob says:

The Phil’s just opened a can of whoop ass on the boys in blue.

I’m done.

If I miss the greatest comeback in Dodger history so be it. At least I will have a shot a good night’s sleep.

51. Rob says:

Can we get shu to pitch a few? That would make this game entertaining.

52. Bball says:

Shit happens. At least we lose no ground. Start fresh tomorrow. Goodnight everybody.

53. Gonzo says:

I don’t know what it would take to get Johnson, Badger. He’s a serviceable player if you look at his numbers he projects to be a role player soon. He has avg power and glove. I think acquiring him would have to be in the off season. Maybe some B level prospects. I don’t know. What do you think?

I’d rather lose like this than lose a tough one via blown save.

Get em tomorrow Ryu!

55. Dave says:

Anon , its always your opinion and your entitled , look at ames last ten game numbers , also i happen to watch every game hes pitched, this game is hard but hes had more bad luck in 2 months than hes had in 4 years , its baseball respect the game never assume anything in this game , 2 nights ago box shows 4 hits 2 runs , maybe one hit just dumb stinken luck it is what it is but i know this hes getting smarter and starting to figure alot of stuff out i hope he makes it hes tough and built for it will see if his stuff plays and he happens to be my son ! thats whats hard for me on these blogs alot of you guys really have no inside true clue to whats really involved ever the player hast to figure it out , and you need some luck your way , many scouts have told me that , murphys law sucks now and then but it passes for alot of guys ya gotta weather the storm by the way anon ya ever seen my kid pitch in the last couple years just curious !

56. jerry says:

i vote for shumaker..for closer…didnt allow a run..that better than are relieve pitchers..yes he was in trouble but he got out of it.just kidding.

57. Quasimodo says:

Strangely the game wasn’t even painful. It was too funny to get anger about. If it turns out a continual thing it’d be easy just lose interest. I’ll tune in to tomorrow’s game and maybe it won’t be a comedy.

The only Dodger pitcher not to give up an earned run? Schumaker.

Yeah Dave, most bloggers don’t have a clue. But clearly you do. However, who is anon?

Gonzo, I would have to give it some thought. He is hitting well right where he is and is on a one year 2.3MM contract, so, he sure is affordable for them. I would be surprised to see them let him go, but he is mentioned in Trade Rumors this morning. For us, I believe it might be possible to just ride Uribe out for this year and see what happens in the off season. We have other needs and probably won’t be able to do everything at once.

59. Pete M. says:

“I’d rather lose like this than lose a tough one via blown save.”
    Bobby…So very true and then somewhere down the line, along the lines of my trout fishing, I chant “No Skunk Please”…
    Alot of prospects flying off the shelves!?!? I can live with Mark Ellis for the season. Word out is that that Dodgers intend to keep Seagar at SS… Some say he’s too big for SS!?!? I think not..
    Bring up Ames for a look see…

I bring up Withrow for sure. Not sure about Ames, but, why not? Can he do any worse than Guerrier or Moylan? Yeah, I guess he could, but, might as well check him out.

I believe the Dodgers are not all that concerned about using prospects for trade. I think they know they can refill the shelves rather easily. It’s about winning now, not in 2015. I look forward to see what it is they do to accomplish the win now goal.

61. AnewBlueDay says:

The game last night — was something to the feeling there must have been in the stands (seats) watching the game — like I had, when I was at Dodger Stadium the last time . . .

Orel H. was pitching in his return to the Dodgers in 2000. Against the Mets. He was knocked out by the Mets early — and that was the end of his career. The game was so lopsided . . .

And that was the only time I saw a game in Dodger Stadium in my life.

Well, last night’s game — had the same feeling. Could not get the other side out early in the game — and it was lights out for the Dodgers.

62. AnewBlueDay says:

So the two new called up from the minors hitters for the Dodgers (Kemp & Van Slyke) are 0-4 tonight with 3 Ks between them.

We need more from these guys . . .