Donnie is Outta’ his League

… in more ways than one, but the instant League he is out of is Brandon who is no longer the closer for the Los Angeles Dodgers (that’s assuming that Donnie has at least a modicum of common sense left).  This one is on Ned Colletti, who was laughed at when he signed League to a ridiculous 3-year deal.

Ned was competing with himself to jack up Brandon’s contract, because no other GM in baseball was so stupid as to give him that kind of deal.  Ned hung an albatross around Donnies’ neck with League… and we all saw this coming.  I would not be surprised if Brandon League is released before the end of the year.

All you have to do is see he has pitched 20 innings, allowed 4 HR, blown several games and only struck out 10.  That is a disturbing stat.  In League, I see shades of Jonathan Broxton.  He has been like this throughout his career.  He has also been very good at times, but mostly not.

In defense of Donnie, he wanted Kevin Gregg, but Ned released him.  Kevin Gregg is 6-6 in save opportunities and has a 0.63 ERA.  Another fine move by our GM.  Kenley Jansen is now the closer or Mattingly joins Ned’s Moron Club!

Let’s face it folks – the Dodgers have a manager who just cannot motivate this team and a GM who is World-Class Stupid!  I saw a spark of junkyard dogism in the Dodgers last night that gives me some reason for hope, but maybe the problem with the guys is a lack of confidence in management, baseball management.

On the other hand, the Dodgers only had 2 extra-base hits last night.  You won’t win often with that kind of NO POP!  Hopefully, Hanley will return Monday (he was fine in his first rehab start) and provide some much needed pop.  I see him hitting #3 ahead of A-Gon.  Skip Schumaker is heating up and Uribe has been solid, although I fail to comprehend why Donnie doesn’t play him more.

Cruz is up to .116.  Wow!

It appears that the Dodgers are implementing a Zero-Tolerance Drug Policy as they released CJ Retherford and Ryan Acosta after they were involved in amphetamine use and suspended.  Either that, or they just wanted an excuse to dump the two losers.

Flex-Superman

44 Responses to “Donnie is Outta’ his League”

1. the truth hurts says:

Why do GM’s get such a long leash?

“I see shades of Jonathan Broxton”

I wish.

I think League is better than he has shown. Not three year contract better, but, better.

Kevin Gregg? Come on man. Kevin Gregg is 34 with a career ERA over 4. He is indeed off to a career best, but, we had a plethora of younger as good arms in the pen when he was released. Who knew a 34 year old would have such a good start?

Cruz needed to be gone weeks ago. I think maybe they are waiting around for another home run. It might happen.

Frankly I don’t fault Donnie as much as others. Yeah, he has made some weird moves, but, looking at the lineups he has had to work with, the failures of Kemp and Ethier, LEEEG, Javy, Cruz, 58% SV% etc etc – there isn’t a manager alive or dead that could do any better.

Moves need to be made. If we can stay within 7, they may not need to made until the deadline, but, they DO need to be made. The first ones I would make is to lose Cruz and put a centerfielder in centerfield.

3. Pete M. says:

I can see the Belisario trade thoughts, but who is ready in the chute??? Chris Withrow??? Scott ‘Easy E’ Elbert is ready to come off newly designated 60 day DL??? Steve Ames??? Interesting choice Yimi Garcia??? What do you think Blue fans???
    Very tired of current group…

4. Quasimodo says:

It’d be cool if DM would seek advice from our starters rotation on who they trust in the bullpen. Especially at a mile high altitude. But I guess that’d make too much sense to become a reality.

5. Bobbie17 says:

Our future former manager has a Bellasario fixation. He LOOKS like he should be good, but he is not. He has confidence in the guy, that is not warranted. But where is he to go? I still like Paco, but as long as he can’t pitch out of the strike zone, he cannot be put in a crucial situation very often. Howell? Not many options. Play the hand that has been dealt, like the good teams do, and see what happens. It was nice to be able to come from behind last night, especially after the great momentum change in the bottom of the ninth. Boy, that has not happened much! How about WINNING games in the 8th and 9th, for a change. The team should be jacked to play today. We will see.

6. Quasimodo says:

I just realized that I’m a bit out of line for judging League as harshly as I did……I mean, it was Coors field. A pitchers performance should be exempt from critic and credit at a mile high. Look at the 1st 5 pitches Kershaw threw. Took him a few adjustments. The bullpen doesn’t have the luxury to make those adjustments. But still, I’ve never been comfortable when League takes the mound.

7. Pete M. says:

Quas…his pitch selection, even noticed by Vin was pathetic… You don’t keep feeding a possible HOF candidate fastball after fastball and expect him to not adjust and rip…

• emerson-Lake says:

I do have problems with League, but I agree with Pete M. He was throwing one 94 mph fastball after another. How could Helton not end up ripping one out? Maybe this one should be pinned on Hernandez who was calling the game–I mean, what do we really know about this guy anyway? Please get well soon, A.J.–one of the best catchers in the game and still a vastly underrated Dodger.

I still believe we have good arms in the pen. I don’t know what’s been wrong with them, maybe they are all head cases. Belisario sure is, but his stuff is good. League has a nasty sinker, but from what I have seen, which is limited, he doesn’t have control of it.

My gut tells me to do what Bobbie just said – these are the guys we kept out of Spring Training so, we go with them and an occasional tweak. (Moylan? I remember him as being pretty good, career 2.59 ERA, but he kinda dropped out of sight. Who knows, maybe he’s got something left.)

This has the appearance of a team that NEEDS 7 out of every starter, and we won’t get that. Got to hit with ‘em to play with ‘em.

If it were me, and it isn’t, I would bring Puig up for the homestand opener on Monday against the Padres. Make a big deal out of it over the week-end, and watch the tickets fly off the shelf. There will be 50,000 there if this thing is handled right. I would sure go if I were in L.A..

Certainly looks like itd be considered, as Puig coincidentally moved to CF from RF the day Kemp got hurt.

Another writer suggested bringing up Pederson now, to showcase him. Most likely Pederson won’t ever be a Dodger, not with Crawford and Kemp signed to long term deals, and Ethier likely on his way out for Puig.

Either way, itd definitely be more exciting than bringing up Gwynn or Angle or Herrera

Still extremely busy and only watching games occasionally, and not always the entire game. So anything I say probably should be taken with a few grains of salt, or whatever.

Good to see Uribe getting some hits. It’s been apparent for a while that he has changed his approach, now going up the middle and to right field more often. In other words, not trying to jack every pitch out of the ballpark. But except for the year he hit .289, Uribe has for the most part been a .230 – .250 hitter with occasional power. So unless we’re seeing a complete makeover, I wouldn’t get carried away with anything he’s doing now. In fact, this might be a good time to attempt a trade. Maybe some other team will bite.

I’m amazed when people say that injuries are no excuse. Yes, no team should use them as an excuse, but in reality, how is it logical to say that losing the services of star players you were counting on doesn’t affect performance? Of course it does. Injuries may not be the whole story, but they’re a big part of it. A healthy and productive Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez would go a long way towards putting some more runs on the board.

As for those critical of Matt Kemp, to me it’s nothing more than a what have you done for lately attitude. I’ve never seen any evidence that tells me that Matt Kemp is giving anything less than his best. In fact, his shoulder injury was the result of playing too hard. Tell me that the Dodgers wouldn’t have been better off if he shied away from the wall in Colorado last year. And it’s clear that he should have had the shoulder surgery last season instead of displaying his supposed poor attitude by playing in pain the rest of the year.

As I recall, the damage found in Kemp’s shoulder was more extensive than originally thought. The fact that he’s on a limited workout program tells me that it’s clearly not fully rehabilitated. Why should it be so difficult to understand that his performance is being adversely affected by what is still a sub-par shoulder?

12. Mark Sweeney says:

Bobby, I mentioned a week ago, that the Dodgers lack any excitement, lacking in exciting players not lacking exciting plays. The team needs to create a buzz, both in the stands and in the clubhouse, thus a player with huge topside, like Puig, is mandatory. The team does not need some little stopgap measures, they need some bold moves. Puig fits that description. Along those lines, a managerial change is in order, not a safe selection either, a new and young, fresh manager. A manager that will also create some buzz. This team is in a state of sleep and it is rampant in the lockerroom and probably thru out the organization, time for some bold moves, that includes dumping the GM as soon as possible.

Don’t listen to the stupid asses that don’t get it and want to remain doing the same old, same old. That gets you nowhere, same old strategy, same old results. Use your logic, don’t buy into the old, stale bilge.

13. Mark Sweeney says:

replace “not” with “and”

14. Quasimodo says:

Pete M, I’ve never trusted League. But with the thinking that the best pitchers get allowed consideration for being out of tune at Coors field that the same should be be towards the pen. My comment was ‘guilt’ inspired.

The few times I have seen League, he has had trouble locating both his fastball and his sinker. The sinker was all over the place and the fastball was up both times I saw him. And, I can’t recall who the hitter was, but I watched him miss badly with two sinkers, then he threw 4 straight 93 mph fastballs, none of which were at the knees. The 4th one was deposited deep in the seats for a game winner. That is not the formula for a closer. You throw that sinker thigh high over the middle of the plate. If it’s doing what it is supposed to, it will land below the knees. If it isn’t, get him out of there. I believe both he and Belisario have the stuff, I just don’t know what the hell is going on between the ears with either one of them. If they can’t get the H and S, trade both of them for someone who can.

fyi… this date last year the Tigers were 6 games out, and the gints were 4 games out.

I wonder how many of their fans were giving up on them?

• Bobby says:

Probably a lot.

Espeically the Tigers, who added a lot of pieces and they underperformed in the beginning.

But speaking of Det, Miguel Cabrera is on another planet right now: .372, 16, 61, and it’s June 1??? Ridic!

16. Watford Dodger says:

Don’t know the stats be we must have the best hitting pitchers in the NL?

Annnnnnnd now Crawford goes out with a hamstring issue.

Does this Falsone lady stress stretching at all??? Do we lead the league in hammy pulls? Hell, throw on p90x and Tony Horton will give you a great stretch routine. Ridiculous.

18. Bball says:

Well if Crawford goes to DL. We should see puig and Pederson

19. Rob says:

The pen ruins it again!!

20. Rob says:

Paco only made 11 pitches and got 3 outs but I guess matchups are more important.

Greinke 108 pitches to get through 5.1? Yoiks. He obviously is not the pitcher we hired. That is three in row that look like a 4A starter’s stats.

Doesn’t Paco have Elbert’s job? He looks fine to me. It may be time to give up on Easy E. The guy has been around since 2004 with only about 80 innings in the bigs. Sure wish he would heal. He is another one with a great arm, when he can actually throw.

I thought it was Howell and Guerrier’s turn to be thrown in there. Belisario throws 3 days in a row? And there you have it with some of Donnie’s moves. That seems pretty dumb to me.

22. Rob says:

Nice job Howell, you suck Guerrier!!

Guerrier and League: 2 vastly overpaid relievers

Naturally Ned paid them both.

Another close game. Another bullpen loss. For a team that prides itself in pitching, our bullpen is just not very good.

Did we lose another starter today? We may see both Puig and Pederson at this rate.

Could be the new trainer ain’t all that. The P90X idea is actually a good one.

It will be very interesting to see how this team handles the continued adversity.

25. Idaho al says:

I said twice before that League is not a closer. I saw him pitch in Seattle. He had one good year and then he was very inconsistent. He looks great one game and then terrible on the next. It has to do with location. When he has his control he is good. When he does not, he is terrible. Pretty soon he throws a fast ball over the middle and it is gone. That is why Seattle traded him. I could not believe Ned game him a three year contract and appointed him the closer.

26. William says:

We can easily see that Colletti has put together a bad bullpen. This is a good way to assess a GM, because constructing a bullpen for the season takes a skillful touch. When have the Dodgers ever had a solid bullpen under Colletti? Mattingly doesn’t know what he is doing, but if he were given some really good relievers, he could just plug them in. But Colletti, who has a $230 million budget to work with, seems to have just tossed together whoever was easily on hand, or was on the team last year. Colletti does not like to admit mistakes, so anyone he signed last year is usually back again. Hence our once again bad bullpen. What is the use of giving him $230 million, if he constructs a bullpen which is inevitably going to blow leads, and lose most of the close games?

I honestly think that the Dodgers have no chance as a franchise until someone figures out that Colletti is not only bad, he is completely overmatched as a GM. Otherwise, whatever decent players White signs, Colletti will just trade away for more over the hill relievers and light-hitting infielders. The day to day results sometimes obscure the real problems at the heart of this franchise.

On Greinke — heard the Colorado announcer say — that Greinke had said something to Cargo while at bat — then Cargo hit his 14th HR.

That might have been important.

Greinke also talked to Quentin of San Diego — just before the fight and broke Greinke’s collarbone.

Greinke must like to get in the other teams players minds . . . with words. Well, it is not working. Heck, just pitch the ball and let the ball do the talking.

Wasn’t Crawford out recently with a hamstring pull? If so, is this another example of the Dodgers bringing a player back too early from injury.

Brooklyn, have you even been to a haunted house?

Well, just maybe, this is a haunted team.

30. Quasimodo says:

I think June might just turn out to be a very exciting month. We’ve realized what I’ve feared most before the season started – that damn dirty DL! Perhaps I’m falsely optimistic,but its feels okay. BTW, Giants aren’t looking so hot. So I’ll ride with that for now.

Go Pacers but don’t you think this is David Sterns worst nightmare? I’ll go ahead and prognosticate here, the fix is in; the Pacers will face the 7th man in game 7, yes the guys in stripes will decide it and guess who ABC wants in the Finals?
    Hope Puigs will fly

I had the same conversation with a friend Michael. The Pacers will not get the calls in Miami.

But 7 game series’ is what Stern wants all the time. Ca-ching! I just hope the Pacers step up on Monday. It’s going to take ALL of them to get it done against a stacked deck.

I agree Quas. This team, to remain competitive, will need to make some moves.

If Crawford is gone for a while, that is freakin’ huge. We might as well bring up the kids and give them their shot. Who knows, there may be a Didi Gregorious or even a mini Trout amongst them. Could be a very exciting time for the Dodgers and their fans.

I will say it again, the West is going to be very competitive. I see no team running away with this thing. If we can play .500 ball til the deadline, you just never know what team is going to be sellers. And, it could very well be possible that all the guys injured will be ok by then.

Too much season left to get in the dumps. There is plenty of time for that after summer.

I’ll ask it now….

is any pitcher worth $200 million?

I just read that the Dodgers will not be able to purchase both Cano and Kershaw because Kershaw will seek $200 million. That is one helluva commitment for a pitcher. I think it’s already likely Greinke won’t earn his money – do we do it again?

34. Quasimodo says:

Yes Badger, all one has to do is look at June’s schedule and it doesn’t look at all like its a lost cause. It’ll take another 30 days of getting beat up before things could appear hopeless.

35. Idaho al says:

If Crawford is hurt, bring up Puig and put him in right field. Bring up Pederson and put him in center field. Put SVS in left field. Either does not deserve to start. Today when we needed him more than ever, he goes 0-5. Give these kids a chance. Who knows, they may do better than 0-5.

36. jerry says:

if a pitcher is doing good..who care if it is lefty or a righty..the starters dont care..so why so the bull pen care..i think that is to over rated. i see donnie pull someone who is getting outs ..then bring someone in a give up hits.

Pitch counts jerry. It’s all about pitch counts for the starters.

I agree with al. Bring ‘em up and let ‘em rip. It might bring some much needed energy to this lineup.

Ethier is becoming another Matt Kemp.

In his last 7 games, Ethier is hitting: .167. 24 ABs and ZERO RBIs.

In that some time, Kemp played 4 games, hitting.091 with 11 ABs and ZERO RBIs.

Thank goodness for A Gonzales, in his last 7 games: 26 ABs, 8 RBIs, hitting .385.

38. Mike Kirk says:

If the Dodgers had put Puig in the lineup from opening day and gotten themselves a competent manager, the team would be in contention even with all the injuries.