You can’t cheat the Baseball Gods

I guess that’s what it comes down to.  Guggs and Company rode into town and threw money at problems like the fire department throws water on a fire.  They over-bought, over-paid and over-spent.  Then, they openly bragged about their resources and the Baseball Gods spanked them.  There’s something really bad wrong with this team.   That’s obvious… and if we want to be honest, this team has not EVER really hit with runners in scoring position except for a couple of months when a juiced-up Manny Ramirez  produced some magical moments.  James Loney is gone, Russell Martin is gone and this team’s longest-tenured stars are Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier and both continue to maddeningly under-preform. If we want to be honest, we could say that for the last 5 years, except for a few exceptions, Matt and Andre have disappointed Dodger fans over and over.

You can say that Matt Kemp’s shoulder surgery has robbed him of his power just like it did Adrian Gonzalez, but  Adrian has always continued to drive in runs.  Matt Kemp is hitting .171 with RISP while hitting .265 overall.  Andre Ethier is hitting .266, but .200 with RISP.  Adrian Gonzales is hitting .331 but with RISP he’s hitting .471!  Carl Crawford is hitting .300 with RISP.  AJ Ellis is hitting .226 with RISP.  In a small sampling, Mark Ellis is hitting .500 with RISP.  I would argue that Kemp, Ethier and AJ Ellis are key leaders of the team and they all suck in the clutch!

I have been pleasantly surprised by Carl Crawford, although my fears with him are durability.  Adrian Gonzales is an RBI machine, even though he has lost his power, but Kemp and Ethier are boat anchors for this offense.  The Dodgers have 28 HR as a team.  Kemp, Ethier and Gonzales should have that many combined and they have eight!  There are twenty-eight players in baseball who have eight or more home runs and Ethier, Kemp and Gonzales don’t have that combined.  Yes, the pen has lost a lot of games, but if the Three Amigos hit more HR they wouldn’t be in that position as much.

It’s not the pen that has killed the Dodgers as much as it is Kemp and Ethier.  Donnie doesn’t have the balls to do it, but I would sit Kemp and Ethier in the next series.  Piss them off royally.  They aren’t doing anything anyway.  Put SVS and Crawford in the outfield and call up Pederson to play CF just for kicks.  They can’t do any worse.

This is Karma for trying to circumvent the Baseball Gods.  Respect the game!  This team is a trainwreck!

OurPeopleMakeTheDifference

50 Responses to “You can’t cheat the Baseball Gods”

I know you believe that “stats lie”. At least I know you have said that before. But, I cannot allow you to say those things about Kemp and Ethier without rebuttal.

Matt Kemp 3 year WRISP splits: .282 . 382 . 934 OPS. It’s even better with runners on.

Andre Ethier 3 year WRISP splits: . 298 .391 .871 OPS.

Adrian Gonzalez: .375 .476 1.078

Hanley Ramirez: .268 .370 .802

Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier are both positive WAR players and they have earned it. Now, this year, both are on the schneid. Ramirez and Gonzalez are OBVIOUSLY stand-out pros.

I can’t wait for all of the Dodger players to be on the field at the same time and playing healthy. Maybe that won’t happen, or maybe it does and your dooms day thoughts actually play out to the end of the season. But, I still believe Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier will put together a couple good months. I believe Hanley Ramirez will come back and contribute. Crawford, Gonzalez and Punto, all from Boston, have played their collective asses off. The rest of that team, especially the back-ups that have been forced on the field, are rather pedestrian. We could still use help at third, second and on the bench.

I doubt the baseball gods care about the money. If that were the case, more Tampa like teams would actually win something, and the teams with the high payrolls would never win anything. That is simply not the case. It’s about how you play the game. Put the effort in, always, and let it play out to the end of the year.

Too many in here are giving up already. When everyone is there, this is actually a pretty damn good team. We’ll be back. I just know it.

2. LOL says:

Baseball players have guaranteed contracts but can not guarantee that they can perform. Therefore, all that matters is what can you do for me lately or CURRENTLY.

Fundamentals – Shart
    Fielding – Shart
    BA RISP – Shart
    Relief Pitching – Shart
    Coaching – Shart

Mark’s Paragraph 2 above uses a form of the word “is” 7 times. I know how to read. Mark is talking about the present. He is not talking about the past. Therefore I will only respond with current facts.

However, I disagree. The bullpen is on pace to lose 50 games. This extrapolation IS NOT INTENDED TO PROJECT THIS STATISTIC FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR BUT ONLY TO TRANSLATE THE CURRENT FACT INTO A YEARLY FACT FOR CERTAIN BRAINS TO COMPARE TO OTHER YEARLY STATS.

Speaking of the bullpen Neddy – Gregg has an ERA of 0.00 with 6 saves.

I will jump on the following bandwagon.

On the Other Hand.

3. Anonymous says:

Rosenthal says Mattingly has one series left before getting canned.

He could very well be right.

If it happens, will anyone really – a. be surprised b. miss him.

Mark, did you say “the sky is falling!”?

Well, I just found a piece of a little pink cloud outside our home. Not much air left in it. Starting to disappear.

Badger, you said on the last thread: “admire Mattingly’s ability to stay calm.” His DNA is set on CALM. When Mark and I, Spring Training several years ago, went to the post game writers interview in the clubhouse — Donnie was to give it all that week for Torre. Well, Donnie forgot, and came out of the dressing room area about 15 minutes late with some 25 writers and others waiting. He said he was sorry, and took questions. Did his soft talk . . . walk the walk . . . and things are going fine approach.

Maybe this club needs a Leo the Lip or even a Tony Francona (who has the Indians in first place now) type of manager.

I do not think I have ever called out for Ned’s firing . . . but he just has not helped this team with the player he has kept, and the hole that even Ray Charles can see.

Gee, I would like to believe that the ownership and key folks on top would want results and not be so, Chicago-Cub-like attitude to continue. I do not think the brass here wants to keep this direction — and turn things around — but they do not as of today.

Somebody is holding pictures of somebody else.

5. emerson-Lake says:

Bob Dylan to Don Mattingly: “It’s all over now, Baby Blue.”

6. Watford Dodger says:

Badger – I’m not sure we are going to see all of these guys on the same Teamsheet this season. In fact I can see DL trips for Crawford with his constantly tight hamstring and back and forth visits for Hanley now he is hamstrung by his hamstring. Not sure we’ve got the time to let him heal properly. Think as we have no power as Mark points out, we need a different gameplan. Not sure Donnie has a plan B though.
    For me the next series is our last chance with our best three pitchers up against a last place team – three wins and we head home with some momentum – if not then we may be saying goodbye to Donnie Baseball. (No ejections this year tells me he has lost a bit of fight).

7. Quasimodo says:

Good morning friends, a bit of sleep is always good for a better outlook. Waking up after another game blown puts that game in history and thus allows one to regroup and see a plan. At least for me. The good things hidden underneath the last 2 losses is starting pitching. Our #4 and #5 pitchers were against a solid 1st place team. The Starters on the DL can go to the bullpen and we’ll be able to trim that nightmare down a bit. Should I look for a sweep @ Brewers for Dodgers? It was hard last night to see that even possible, but this morning I’m able to. I just hope Dodgers woke up feeling the same as me.

So what is the problem with the Dodgers?

Is seems to be lack of pitching . . . but then we see some great starts by the staff . . . then we see breakdowns in the bullpen . . . yet, sometimes we are close to winning . . . but cannot score enough runs . . .

So it is not pitching, but it is pitching.

So it is definitely hitting and lack of scoring runs.

But the Manager keeps filling out a lineup that cannot score runs.

And the General Manager has only 25 places on the roster and many of them just are not major league players of quality or are working through injuries.

Ownership seems to be very rich, has spent a lot of money so far — and the team is now worse off than last season with the wicked uncle from the East.

Other teams and their fans have stopped laughing and are just chalking up the Dodgers as a AAA team that is easy for 2 or 3 wins in a 3 game series.

So after 7 weeks, the Dodgers are like 2-5 each week (and that is a good week). Well, that will not buy a seat at the table.

Jed has to be held accountable for some of this. He has had years to get somebody ready in the system but, who is there to step in. Granted he was working for arguably the worst owner in the history of history but the moves he and White made have not worked so well.

Taking this next series on the road will help. If that doesn’t happen – stand by. Heads will roll. And frankly I’m fine with it. I don’t think it’s Mattingly, but enough is enough.

10. Watford Dodger says:

Badger didn’t think I’d hear you say that but as much as much as we all want The Dodgers and the very likeable Donnie to do well, as you say “enough is enough”.
    This last week has been too much and I think Donnie hasnt shown enough animation for me – and I think the players are following behind the leader. We need someone to draw a line and say that this is NOT acceptable. Lets face it a new man in charge will be a breath of fresh air and surely can’t do any worse than last place.

Totally get it Watford. I think most of us, as Dodger fans, have been pulling for Donnie. I still am. I would love to see this team turn it around. And I am on record saying a new manager will have the same broken and slumping players. But who knows, moves like that sometime actually work.

12. JCV says:

Mark, if they fire Mattingly what options do we have?

• Anonymous says:

Mark will get around to answering this JCV but allow me to take a shot at it:

none on the field – save finally dumping wasted roster spots like Hernandez and Cruz. Nobody much around in the minors that will make that big a difference.

Not likely the front office either as Jed has a freshly inked contract in his safe.

Manager? Prolly Wallach for the rest of the year. Maybe a coach or two, as some have suggested, but I doubt that.

13. emerson-Lake says:

I gotta say, Wallach is an easy pick, but I’ve been watching him and he doesn’t look like he has the personality to light the kind of fire we need. Over on the other side of the diamond, however, we have a man who has managerial experience and is a crazily intense leader if he still has his health (no reason to think he doesn’t–it’s just that he’s old.) Given a clean bill of health I would hand Davey Lopes a clean line-up card and a big bottle of Maalox and let him start kicking asses. It might not be pretty, but at least it would be fun to watch and some of our guys would learn something about what it takes to win.

14. Mark Sweeney says:

Someone a while back was pushing for Orel to be the next manager, I like that Idea. HOwever, I think Davey Lopes may deserve a shot as well. I know it is time to get some real blue blood in here and I like the idea of having someone come in with a direct tie to Tommy. Davey spent some years with Tommy in AAA and of course Orel had some glorious years with Tommy in LA. Let’s both those guys in here and right this sinking ship.

Some want to just wait around and do nothing, hoping for some magic passing of time or healing of injuries to correct everything, it ain’t gonna happen. It is time for a shake-up. No one has given any convincing evidence why this team should wait around, they attack the idea of change and embrace doing nothing. Why I have no evidence or guarantee that changing managers will change anything, but there seems to be more evidence that remaining to do the same thing will only get the same results. Instead of just telling others that they are crazy to make a change, control yourselves and give some “solid” evidence that things will get better if Donnie stays at the helm. Just take a look at the team, the players are as “calm” as Donnie is and the results are anything but calming, the calm results are producing pathetic results. Hard to argue with scoreboard.

Before re-writing my comments to fit your ideas, re-read MY comments and actually answer MY questions, not YOUR revised questions. I have watched for some time on this board (while not posting) and have noticed some very strange responses to things that were not even poised (that’s why I have been reluctant to engage in here), so stay on target and to the point please.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Sweeney,

I know of what you speak. When I said that Kershaw would going down in history as the greatest Dodger pitcher and even showed that he got to 1,000 innings with a better ERA than Koufax, people attacked what they thought they heard that they wanted me to say. Geeeezzzzzz!

Who will the manager be? More on that tomorrow…

I know wat you were saying Mark. At this point, at 1000 innings pitched, Kersh has been better than Koufax. End of sentence. End of story. Anyone wana project that out to the next 10 yrs can do whatever they want, but this discussion is about the first 1000 innings.

As far as mgr goes, we’ve all laid out who we want and who we don’t want.

My vote the entire time (since we won’t get Gibby), has been Tony LaRussa. I feel he’s won before, in different situations, with not the most talented teams, and he could command respect from high priced guys.

Others of you may disagree. Great. We’ll all find out what the organization wants this week, as I feel Donnie is headed back to Pawnee.

17. dtwdodger says:

Davey Lopes is neither a leader nor inspirational. That would be a bad move.

18. the truth hurts says:

No to Wallach. You wanna talk about calm?

“I have watched for some time on this board (while not posting) and have noticed some very strange responses to things that were not even poised” – Sweeney

…. I could say the same thing about someone who wants to fire up to 75% of the coaching staff……

“Some want to just wait around and do nothing, hoping for some magic passing of time or healing of injuries to correct everything, it ain’t gonna happen”

and you KNOW that how? What, your crystal ball is more accurate than mine?

look, I think it’s just different management styles. I am older school than most around here. The idea of firing that many people just wouldn’t have worked in the businesses in which I was involved. Maybe you are a guy who buys businesses, carves them up, then outsources the jobs and sells off the company. To those people, the idea of firing 75% of the staff is easy peasy. I don’t think that way. I don’t knee jerk. To your point about staying on target, I believe I have. My target is to get all my people back on the field at the same time and see what happens. As for the pen blowing 14 games, I have no immediate answers. I doubt you do either. What do I do? Well, these are the players I have been given. Keep working at it. A new manager is going to have the same damn bullpen, so, good luck with that.

If after this next series the team decides to go a different direction then I will support it. As for who it is, I think it matters not. You want change just for the sake of change, then, what difference could it possibly make who it is?

“When I said that Kershaw would going down in history as the greatest Dodger pitcher and even showed that he got to 1,000 innings with a better ERA than Koufax, people attacked” – Mark

Damn right we did. We then proceeded to give you about a dozen reasons why that would be next to impossible.

“but this discussion is about the first 1000 innings.” Bobby

at the risk of sounding like a hair splitter, that is not true Bobby. This debate started over the following ocomment:

“You are watching the guy who will soon be known as the best Dodgers pitcher of all time.” Mark Timmons

It was after he was called on this that he even brought up the 1,000 inning thing. I am not watching the guy who “will soon be known as the best Dodger pitcher of all time”. I saw the best in person. The best was Sandy Koufax and his records will NEVER be broken, let alone “soon”.

22. Mark Sweeney says:

Yeah I’m not pushing for Wallach at all, I think we need some more fire. Davey Lopes, I really don’t know anything about him and his style of leading, I only have found memories of him playing second and stealing bases, but he can’t be worse than Donnie Boy.

23. Quasimodo says:

Wheres Bill Russel? I for one would like to hear what he has to say on all this. I could see how he might like to avoid this topic, but also can see the flip-side and any feed from him would be appreciated. He’s walked that mile and has put up with both sides of the battle. At least he’d be able to tell us what’ll be the likely outcome.

24. Bball says:

Ted Lilly activated and McGill sent down. I’d rather go with McGill. These decisions that are being made are mind boggling. I’d like to see Larry bowa or Kevin Kennedy but I also don’t think Donnie is the problem. This team rests on Matt Kemps shoulders and those shoulders are very weak right now

25. Mark Sweeney says:

So you have finally concluded that people have different opinions, eh Badger? Your opinion isn’t superior to my opinion, it’s just baseball talk, NO ONE has a corner on the knowledge market. Thus no one should act as if they do have a corner on the baseball knowledge market, I’m glad we both agree on something.

Now you struck on something, “You want change just for the sake of change, then, what difference could it possibly make who it is?” My response is, it makes a huge difference (just look at the mess we are in with our last presidential election, the guy that got the position to run the show makes a HUGE difference). So my opinion is, we need a manager with more fire in his belly, a motivator, if you will. So Wallach is not the guy I am looking to lead. A guy like Orel seems to get fired up but yet he isn’t a Bobby Valentine-type (I don’t want a Bobby V type).

So yes we need a change and it does matter who we select, so I guess we disagree again, shocking I know.

However, I appreciate you sticking to the subject in your response and hopefully that can continue with all of the posters. Respect others’ opinions, allow some discussion without attacks, chill and enjoy the process instead of making it a battle. Thank you.

26. Quasimodo says:

Larry Bowa? Hmmm now that’s a thought. I could see how his personality might have an effect on a club. Actually I think that is the best suggestion I’ve heard. Looking at any other suggestions I’ve been having trouble seeing a fit. And no, Mattingly is not the problem as well as he’s not the cure. I think I’ll cast my vote for Bowa (as if my vote counted).

27. Quasimodo says:

Bball, the more I think about your suggestion of Larry Bowa the more it makes sense. Players would have no need to guess what he’s thinking as he’d let the world know whats on his mind. He’s the sort that could scream at you and then expect you to come over to his house for beers and a game. I’ve played it over several ways now and I see a fit.

Badger had it right the other day, when he stated that ? would the same players play any better for a change in manager.

We know the line-up would be different.
    We know the players on the field might be different.
    We know the pitchers would be used differently.

But — the real change needs to be in the GM, to start shredding part of the roster and getting a team that works better – together.

You know, if you send Dee down, do you bring up Sellers?

Those are the kinds of issues to be deal with.

If Lilly is not really needed in the rotation or on the bench. Then pay him and let him walk (or trade him if someone wants that).

Fix the catching situation with the 3 catchers.

But the burden is on the players — to simply play better — no matter who is manager. I still say: Kemp needs rehab to get his game together. He is taking up batting space now (watch him hit 2 out tonight).

You don’t want to talk about politics in here Sweeney. Besides, it’s not the guy we elected that is the problem, it’s that whacked out Congress.

I know it’s just baseball talk. That’s all it’s ever been. I was just stating my opinion too. I have no problem with those that have a different idea. But if I don’t like it, I will say so. Just like you did with my idea.

and you’re welcome

Fire in the belly? Yeah, maybe. But that sometimes works the opposite. I wouldn’t try a Larry Bowa on these guys. That might work with young guys, but, not our old guys. Mid season changes are usually more tepid than that.

Again, same players. Will a change of managers snap Kemp and Ethier out of their slumps? Don’t see how. Will a change of managers suddenly change a 14 BS bullpen? Again, don’t see how.

Change just for the sake of change isn’t always a good thing. You need a better plan.

“But the burden is on the players — to simply play better — no matter who is manager.” Roger

Yep. And I think whoever is next will just have to wait until the players he has now start playing better. There is no Manny coming in here to do what he did. We might have a move at the deadline that will help, but I think it’s going to be the players already there playing better to get this thing turned around.

29. Bball says:

I loved his enthusiasm when he coached third for us. I think he wouldn’t take any shit from really anybody. Boy but my heart just hopes this team can turn it around for Donnie. Just like I’ve always stuck up for uribe I can’t stand for someone to lose a job.

• Bobby says:

Hopefully our top 3 pitchers take care of things in Mil and Matt Kemp stops being the LVP, and Donnie’s job is safe.

However, logic tells me it more than likely won’t happen.

30. Mark Sweeney says:

Sorry I thought I was making a simple statement on an example of Change for the sake of change, and what it gets you if the wrong guy is installed. My apologies.

A new manager will handle the lineup and the pitching changes different as Roger pointed out. So a change to a new fellow will net a different result, no doubt.

Now who is the right guy, cause it is going to happen.

Mark has an idea. It will come prolly tomorrow.

I still think Wallach is the guy for now. If he doesn’t get it done with the guys that are currently there (nobody coming to the rescue) then there might be a wholesale house cleaning, maybe starting as soon as July 31st.

I am still hoping our three horsemen will put a stop to the madness with three complete game victories.

Derek Lowe is out there now — he could sit next to Lilly and they could tell stories they remember to each other.

I wonder if Brenly would be interested in the job?

Probably not. But he would be the right type of guy b

33. the truth hurts says:

I DON’T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW

I think I like Brenley, very knowledgeable

OOPS! Did the dyke break? Matty got that one and he likes it
    What, me worry

Matt and Andre may bring Donnie beisbol another life.

That was dike, OMG

Speaking of, God bless the survivors and victims of the devastation in Oklahoma today

Great job by Mattingly today making Kemp and Ethier go deep!!

Extend his contract!!

Donnie knows how to get the most of his players,

Now can the Dodgers get out of the bottom of the 9th with a win.

What did dre do to get ejected?

39. Rob says:

Thank you Kershaw, no pen tonight!!!

40. Rob says:

He argued a called strike earlier because he had to swing at a ball that was low and outside.

Corbin with another win – 7-0. ERA now at 1.44. We may be looking at the guy who will soon become the best left handed pitcher in Arizona Dback history. Randy Johnson? So yesterday.

Good to see both Ethier and Matt Kemp hit the ball out. If that starts happening regularly, this team could turn it around. That is after all what has been missing. That and the bullpen. That, the bullpen and the defense. That, the bullpen, the defense and the bench……..

and what Michael said. I got a high school buddy that lives down that way. Assume he is all right, will call tomorrow.

• the truth hurts says:

Ethier had a ball thrown over his head. He thought the ump should have issued a warning to the pitcher. He struck out on the next pitch. The ump and Ethier argued as he went to the dugout and a stare down ensued as Ethier was pushed into the clubhouse.

42. Man vs Food Starring Juan Uribe says:

‏@TheRealMattKemp
    I’m giving $1000 for tonight’s HR and every HR until the All-Star break for the victims of my hometown in OKC. #PrayforOklahoma

He’s not hitting very well, but i have to say… Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw are some of the most socially conscious and generous athletes in baseball. They do so much for others. I’m proud that they’re Dodgers

I just thought of something positive.

If Donnie gets fired, that means the team remained on the schneid. If the new guy, whoever Mark picks to try to get these current players to do something they to date have not been able to do and frankly to do what most people in here think they are not capable of doing, we will have a high pick in next year’s draft.

That’s it. I will drink my coffee now.