Underachievers All!

Three Stinkin’ Runs!  3!

What a bunch of underachievers!

That seems to be all the runs the Dodgers can get most nights.  We have watched almost two months of this nonsense.  Capuano wasn’t lights out, but he was good enough to win on most teams.  But, not on the 2013 Dodgers.  This bunch is 5th in NL in batting average, 5th in OB%, 14th (out of 15) in runs and 14th in slugging.  They can hit.  They can get on base.  But, when they do, they choke and you can’t call it anything but choking!

When put in a position where they have to deliver, they don’t! That’s choking!

Disclaimer:  This certainly does not apply to Adrian Gonzalez who is hitting .452 with runners in scoring position.  Here’s the rundown of what the Dodgers are hitting with runners in scoring position:

1. Gonzalez – .452
  2. Mark Ellis – .348
  3. Van Slyke – .333
  4. Crawford – .286
  5. Punto – .278
  6. Uribe -  .250
  7. AJ Ellis – .216
  8. Ethier – .182
  9. Schumaker – .172
  10. Hernandez – .154
  11. Kemp – .154
  12. Hairston – .125
  13. Gordon – .118
  14. Cruz – .100

Everyone on the Dodgers is hitting below their season batting average when runners are in scoring position except for Gonzo, Mark Ellis and SVS.  It’s not pitiful – it’s pathetic, and it’s a pattern within the Dodgers organization.  It seems to me that this is a systemic problem.  As an example, two of the Dodgers top prospects in the past few years have been Trayvon Robinson and Jerry Sands.  Robinson is struggling at AAA in the International League to hit .235 and  Sands is hitting .186 at AAA Indianapolis.  Does the PCL ruin prospects, or skew their abilities?  It’s worth considering.  But then you have to factor in the fact that James Loney could not jump out of a boat and hit water for the Dodgers last year, and yet is now one of the top hitters in AL with a .329 batting average.

Is there something system-wide that the Dodgers are doing wrong… or not doing?  Someone needs to figure it out, because when nearly everyone has symptoms there is a root cause.  Is it the manager?  The GM?  Coaches?  Farm Director?  The Dodgers best get a handle on this runaway train!

The problem is easy to see.  The solution?  Now that’s the hard part!

Earth-Covered-70

45 Responses to “Underachievers All!”

1. Mark Sweeney says:

Well we got some relief, one of our .154 bstters wrisp went down last night. That may be the real turning point in the season if he goes on the DL as it could usher in Puig to the big leagues. Bet Puig will hit better than .154 wrisp! I think that injury was the first time I was relieved to see someone need to leave a game.

Is Kemp dating again? Just curious. Saw that article about he and Rihanna several months ago. Was hoping they just ran into each other and that was the end of it. Wish the Dodgers hadn’t waited for another injury to get him out of there.

We beat a good team 2 out 3. I’ll take it.

Javy Guerra with a 6+ ERA, 1.969 WHIP. Won’t take that.

The “Pacific Coast” League does not belong at a mile high. It belongs on the Pacific Coast. Get the Isotopes where they belong – closer to a nuclear reactor. Rancho Cucamonga is about 65 miles from San Onofre. That’s close enough.

It’s still May. Still 8 1/2 weeks to the trade deadline. I would ask that we not panic around here but, I think it’s too late for that.

3. Idaho al says:

I believe all things happen for a reason. This injury to Kemp may sit him for a while. Then with a rehab in the minors, he may get his swing back. Kemp is just fighting it right now. He cannot lay off those outside pitches. He is a good player. I have faith he will come back. However, this may give the team a chance to bring up Puig. At least SVS is playing well and is getting more opportunities. We are now 10 games out of first and that is starting to concern me.

4. Pete M. says:

Badger, your patience mirrors my thoughts on the Blue… I’ll say it again, the guy I most worry about is not reaching for a outside pitch in the dirt or struggling with his glove, it’s Vin Scully!!! I really had hoped we would have made this his year to ride off in the sunset with a WS appearence. We still might right!?!?
    Mark’s recent columns reminds me of yelling fire in a theatre, it’ definetely gonna stir some caca up!!!

5. Pete M. says:

P.S. I’m all in with Joc P.

“I believe all things happen for a reason.”

Me too al. There is a plan. This team, and I assume they are paying attention, is learning humility. We shall see if it has an affect on them. Donnie will know by the deadline who is dead weight. I trust the second half of this season will look much different.

Pete, I too feel for Vinny. But he has been around a long time. I am sure he has not quit on this team.

Kemp needs a rest, some physical rehab on that body (maybe some yoga and swimming in the ocean) and I also think he needs some time in a recliner talking to a sports psychologist. I am not kidding about that. He has lost all discipline at the plate and somebody needs to get him to focus on that strike zone. McGwire hasn’t gotten through to him. Hynosis on not swinging at anything outside his zone could actually work. Time away might help too.

I am not going to panic. It’s baseball, not our career. My life won’t be ruined if the Dodgers swallow the choad. Relax, enjoy the summer and send positive thoughts the Blue’s way. That’s my plan anyway.

And remember, at least McRoach is no longer the owner.

that would be “hypnosis”

damn – I keep looking for that edit capability and I keep not finding it

8. Mark Sweeney says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the type of asshole that wishes ill on someone, like some lame, insecure, stupid assholes do. However I do think Kemp needs to be shut down, humbled, have some instruction penetrate his thick cranium and learn the concept of batting once again. He struggled before in his career with his batting, he has just reverted to those days. My preference is he be sent to single A ball, where he rides a bus to rode games, he needs some humbling.

9. Pete M. says:

I know Vinny hasn’t quit on the team, but hasn’t too many seasons left behind the mic!!!
    Fellow commentors, who do you call up if Bison goes on the DL???

10. jerry says:

mybe we need to stop talking about trading either..and start talking about trading kemp. mybe he was only a one yr player..he dont even look good in the out field..

Was that Academy Award nomination for best removal from the field to go on the DL after test — to then go and have rehab . . . . Matt Kemp . . . and then bring up a minor leaguer to take his place . . .

Maybe it was his agent who thought up the dramatic scene . . . so, who is coming up?

‘Don’t get me wrong”

Nobody gets you wrong ‘s weenie. You are crystal clear and simple to read. Except for maybe that whole “rode game” concept. Not familiar with that one.

Kemp won’t go to A ball. If he gets sent down, it will be to AAA where he can face 4A pitchers and re-learn the strike zone. Somebody needs to shorten that stroke, maybe Stubbs can get through to him.

Pete….. I call up Puig. If he doesn’t work out, then it’s Pederson. This whole thing could be blessing in disguise.

13. Bball says:

I agree its gotta be puig. I no it’s bad but I’m glad this happened I couldn’t stand seeing him at the plate anymore. Yes I too hope it’s a blessing in disguise

In Rumors over there ———-> it suggests that Pederson would be the call up. I suppose it doesn’t matter, their numbers are very close. I just think Puig offers the more exciting option, but Pederson may be a more grounded one. Whatever. Let’s make it happen.

Puig can\’t really play CF, thus it is Pederson.

IF the injury is to Matt Kemp, then we need a guy that can play CF. Ethier can at times, but Crawford and his weak arm cannot. SVS cannot. Maybe the Shoemaker/Punto/Hairston group can for a bit.

So therefore, if the callup is either Puig or Pederson, Pederson is the better CF, so maybe he’s the callup?

I say bring em both, and DL Kemp and Ethier (for reasons I could care less about)

17. Bball says:

Juan Francisco anyone?

18. Gonzo says:

The way Ned has been handeling the 40 man roster don’t be surprised to see Tony Gwynn Jr. Or Elian Herrera.

Yeah, another blog is going conventional with the call-up coming from AAA. Eh, we’ve seen those guys. Neither of them will generate any buzz.

Got a question for you guys, maybe Mark’s Weenie is the guy to answer this, right in his wheelhouse… so to speak…

watched a bit of the Women’s College World Series – why do the women’s uniforms have fly’s?

20. Quasimodo says:

Kemp is not on the DL. Its official he’s day2day.

Tonight’s lineup has FedX at catcher (And for whatever reason, Ramon Hernandez as DH)

Did AJ go on the DL? No mention of anything so far anywhere

We are back to the secret plan . . . that only Ned and Donnie know about.

But we just uncovered part of it: Ramon Hernandez is DHing. Why, they must have thought about that move or 2 or 3 minutes at most.

So that means that AJ is the big bat off the bench.

Kemp to the 15 day DL.

The Dodgers replace their CF with a 3rd catcher, as FedX is recalled.

Kemp to the DL. Fed-Ex was recalled. Makes perfect sense!

Savages!

If you count Mark Ellis as a backup, and I do, 6 of 9 Dodger starters are backups.

Are we really expecting to win this?

26. emerson-Lake says:

Fed-Ex is up again. WTF?

All a part of the secret plan to win the West.

28. Bball says:

What are they thinking. I just don’t get it. Ned needs to go pronto.

Looking at the Dodger roster tonight — this might just be a first in the major leagues.

There are 3 catchers listed and 2 outfielders. Or, 1 more catcher than outfielders.

Interesting.

Gwynn will be coming up as the centerfielder . . . hitting .288 in AAA. He is playing for Albq tonight. Gwynn is in the hitting mode of: Cruz, Hairston, Punto, Schumaker, R. Hernandez type. So he will fit right in there.

I think they would sell a lot of extra tickets on the night Puig makes his debut. For that reason alone maybe they want to save that moment for Dodger Stadium.

I don’t know Badger.

You don’t think Gwynn, Hernandez, etc won’t sell tickets???

Sure they would Bobby…. to the Gwynn, Hernandez etc. clans.

The team on the field tonight is not worth the price of a ticket.

Now watch them win.

32. Bball says:

So I’m guessing nobody liked the Juan Francisco idea huh.

Francisco? Great explorer.

Could have used a long ball late tonight. Just don’t see where the thunder might come from in this group.

Still need Kemp. Still need Ramirez. And Pederson or Puig should be brought up.

34. jerry says:

if it is a close game..the dodgers will lose, we have lost some many onne run games..

35. jerry says:

i dont think kemp is hurt..it just a way of him saving face.

36. Pete M. says:

You got it Gonzo…Lets go with a helluva defensive CF who can’t hit MLB pitching. There I said it, now watch T.G. Jr. come up and blister/batter MLB pitching.
    Ya, that’s the ticket!!!!
    First thing I checked this morning on the Rancho C. boxscore…No HanRam!?!?

Ballgame last night, was over, when Lilly did not hold the runner at second, and he stole third base.

Then Belly comes in and the infield ball bango allows that runner at third to score their 3rd run. Ball game.

SVS almost hit one out late. Was a mile high . . . and deep.

Hold a team to 3 runs and lose.

How many 1 runs games has this team lost this year? We are close, but, without production from the middle of our lineup, it’s going to take outstanding pitching every time out to win. Lilly and Cap are good, but, they are not outstanding. Belisario seems to let inherited runners score every time he comes in.

Is it going to be like this the whole season? Will Kemp, Ethier and Ramirez be unavailable for months? Will our 4 and 5 pitchers get 2-3 runs of support? Will the pen remain pedestrian? I hope not…. but… stand by to stand by.

Here is an interesting site. Shows our top 10 prospects every year since 1992.

Yeah, I think I posted a similar list before last year’s draft.

Isn’t it interesting how many players on that list have actually become daily contributors, how many show up for a few years running without showing up in the Majors, and how many have just disappeared. Now a few of them have been used in productive trades, though most of us still believe we shouldn’t have had to send any top prospects to Boston in an obvious salary dump.

The question for me will be a. how will that list change after the draft and 2. how will that list change after the trade deadline. It would appear that we can’t really rely on our own prospects coming up and making a difference. Maybe that changes with new ownership.

It was interesting looking at the pitchers on that list from 1-3 years ago: De la Rosa, Eovaldi, E-Martin, A-Webster, Lindblom All gone. Aaron Miller has been moved to OF.

By the way, Eovaldi hasn’t played all this year; shoulder inflammation has had him on the 60day DL since March. Webster had 1-2 horrendous starts for Boston, and is back in AAA, with De la Rosa. E-Martin has a 5 era in AAA.

What this tells me is that we really do a poor job of drafting pitchers.

Agree Bobby. We have Kershaw and Billingsley. The others? meh….

If you haven’t been to this place, you should go. Very interesting reading. I did a short paper on “The Pitch” at Chico State when I was a PE major there. Rotation location. The ball always moves the direction in which it rotates.

I find that Frazier at bat a freakin’ miracle. How did that ball make it over the fence? Well, we have an answer.

1. [...] and it will trickle down from their ace, Jered Weaver. View full post on Yahoo! more… Underachievers All! – ladodgertalk.com 05/30/2013 Three Stinkin’ Runs!  3! What a bunch of underachievers! [...]