Todays game shouldn’t matter…

Win or lose, this team needs a new direction and it has to start with the manager.  Most of you were excited with the team Ned put on the field (not me so much), so Ned won’t get axed mid-season.  The rest of the Dodger brass proclaimed their satisfaction with the team but declined to give the manager a longer-term contract.  He’s a lame duck.  They evidently had doubts or they would have signed him.  Donnie is a nice guy.   Nice guys finish last!

Change may not always be the answer, but sometimes change for the sake of change is the answer.

For much of this season, the Yankees have had Curtis Granderson, A-Rod, Mark Teixeira, Derek Jeter and Francisco Cervelli – 5/8 of their starting lineup – on the disabled list.  That represents players who usually hit a combined 140+ HR on the DL.  That’s a lot worse than what has happened to the Dodgers offensively.  The Yankees have guys like Lyle Overbay, Vernon Wells, Ben Francisco, Jayson Nix and David Adams starting at times, and yet they are in first place, because they evidently have a manager who gets the most out of his players.  The Dodgers are simply under-achieving!

Even though the Yanks have been decimated offensively, they are 14th in all of baseball in runs scored.  The Dodgers are 29th!  Yet the Dodgers are 11th in OB% and the Yanks are 21st in OB%.  That’s a dramatic difference!  The Dodgers are like a teenage geek who can get to 1B or 2B, but can’t score!  That ‘s horrifying and the manager has to be blamed.

In life, you can change your life by changing your thinking.  The Dodgers have to change their manager to change their thinking.  It makes all the difference.

Please Stan, replace Donnie before it’s too late… like today!  And while, you are at it, replace the front man who is a fraud.  He’s no more a spokesman for the Dodgers than me.  He’s a minority investor and is conspicuous by his absence.  Cut the PR ploy, Stan and speak up like a man!  You don’t need Voo-Doo or MAGIC!

P.S.  Ned,  I have told you repeatedly that Luis Cruz and Dee Gordon are not major leaguers.   Can you do somethings about that?  Like now?

free-faucet-5-stage-higher

39 Responses to “Todays game shouldn’t matter…”

1. jerry says:

i agree with every thing mark said..twice we had base loaded and did nothing..they need a different approach when men are on base..quit swing for the fence..we cant even get a scoring fly ball..and that is sad.

I was happy that Ellis actually grounded out to 2b, getting Crawford to 3b. And even more happy that LVP got a clutch 2 out RBI.

But otherwise, spot on: Donnie isn’t to be blamed for all the injuries or the under achieving. However he is to be blamed for not manufacturing runs better instead of waiting for the 3 run hr. A good manager would have done that until his key players woke up.

Anybody can manage this team when Crawford, Kemp, A-Gone, Hanley, Ethier, Kersh/Greinke are al going well. But who can manage it when they’re struggling, and who can help find ways to win despite the struggles? Not Donnie Softball.

Since we like to overpay so much, go steal Bochy from sf! I know, i kid.

“Most of you were excited with the team Ned put on the field”

no…. we were excited about the team Ned had assembled. We have not seen it on the field yet.

“The Dodgers are simply under-achieving!”

A few of them are, that’s for sure. The rest of those guys on the field have always been back-ups, and they are playing like back-ups. The guys I am disappointed in are Kemp, Ethier, (Ramirez) and the bullpen. I still believe they will bounce back.

Having said that, the point of your post is right on. I think it’s time. Donnie has lost the faith of the fans and who knows, maybe even the players. It’s only 44 games in, but, sometimes you can tell a lot in a small window. Add last year’s mediocrity to this year’s mess and who knows, maybe it is Donnie.

But, I will say this now, I don’t expect guys like Schumaker, Cruz, Hernandez, Uribe, Sellers, SVS, and Punto to play like All Stars after a new manager is named. This team rides on our stars – Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez, the starting staff and the good arms in the bullpen. As soon as they pick it up, we will start winning. Will a new manager get them back on track? Maybe. Maybe not.

Donnie didn’t hold back today, pre game, on an interview with ESPN. Now whether he feels he has nothing to lose, as he’s probably out of here, or because he’s had enough, here’s some of it:

Fresh off the ESPN Rumors page………

Los Angeles Dodgers skipper Don Mattingly says the club has discussed calling up prospects Yasiel Puig and Joc Pederson, both outfielders, who both are playing at Double-A Chattanooga right now, as tweeted by Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times. In other news, Mattingly adds that veteran Andre Ethier is not in the lineup Wednesday because he wants to field the team that will compete the best, Hernandez adds via Twitter.

First of all, that’s a damning statement made against Ethier’s production and perhaps his effort. The right fielder hasn’t been terrible at the plate this year, batting .264/.353/.405, including a .293 mark in May. The right-handed batting Scott Van Slyke is in for Ethier for the series finale in Milwaukee, despite the Brewers’ starter being right-hander Wily Peralta” target=”_blank”>Wily Peralta.

Hernandez added that nothing appears imminent with the two prospects and that Mattingly deferred inquiries to GM Ned Colletti on that front. Puig enters play Wednesday batting .314/.385/.579 with six homers and 10 stolen bases. Pederson, 21, is sitting at .327/.400/.554 with eight home runs and 13 stolen bases. The 22-year-old Puig, a right-handed batter, is considered the better long-term prospect.

If one or the other forces their way to the big leagues, Ethier, who signed an extension with the club last June and is due $70 million guaranteed after 2013, could become trade bait as early as this summer.

5. Bobbie17 says:

This entire organization is too comfortable. I guess the fans will go to games regardless of the product on the field, and ownership will make money no matter what happens. Mattingly was a comfortable choice, as was Torre. The players are comfortable because they will play and be paid regardless of performance. The coaches up and down the system are comfortable because, after all, they are part of the LOS ANGELES DODGERS, the best ……………. etc, etc. Same with the farm system in general. They all forget that it took years, and sweat and tears to give that uniform the prestige it has today. Complacency will ruin it, I am afraid. Our future former manager has been too comfortable in his job ever since Torre hired him. So have the coaches and players. The fire has to return, and it has to start from the top. Firing the manager will at least send the message (to where, I am not sure) that complacency is not acceptable FROM ANYONE, AND EVERYONE’S JOB IS ON THE LINE EVERY DAY. To wear this uniform is an honor, not a right, and it has to be earned every day on the field. The turning around process must continue and should not stop until the goal is reached. That goal is not 4 million fans in the seats, but that trophy with all the flags on it.

Well now, the Dodgers have the lead.

That makes this game about even for the Dodgers to win or to loose. We have not even seen the pen in action yet.

7. LOL says:

Crawford, Kemp, and SVS are each batting .200 for the last week and Either (.333) is to blame for the team’s joke of a performance?

Donnie T-Ball can’t even evaluate players. I have to wonder if he can even read. ROFLOL

29th in Runs Scored
    27th in Fielding %.
    25th in Reliever ERA
    Last in Coaching Ability

Hey, LOL, if the Dodgers ARE playing up to their teeth in production, this is it — then it is the GM that has to dance . . .

As long as Lame On Line Ken-ken and His Sweeney are against Donnie then I am for him.

I hope he lasts the year and gets an extension.

10 in row starts today. They can’t fire him in the middle of a win streak and they won’t fire him after 10 in a row.

118 to go. 7 behind. At this rate we won’t be eliminated until the last week of September. That means we have time.

8th inning. No matter how long he goes, Ryu saved our bullpen today.

Great job by our #3, and 2013 Rookie of the Year!!

Prediction — the Dodgers will be in post season in 2013. Mark in down.

Love the positivity Roger. I don’t know why but I agree.

One thing I am not hearing about Mattingly’s rant today….”good for him!” Look I belive the Dodgers need a new voice. I believe it is not Donnie’s fault so many guys got hurt and underperformed if they weren’t hurt. BUT, the shake up has to start with the manager. Sorry Donnie.
    But good for Donnie for saying it out loud. Saying what is on his mind. Screw your feelings Andre. Sit down. The ultimate me first move in Monday’s game when he hits a triple and a HR and in a still close game he gets tossed. At least you got your numbers Andre! Right? What about while we still have a couple of ABs left you stay in that game. Give the team a little more breathing room.

Its not just Andre.We have been dissapointed in other too. But Good for Donnie. Speak up. Go out fighting. It’s not sour grapes. It’s truth.

You heard the screams that Jansen should be the closer? Right? Is it Donnie’s fault Jansen was a gas can in ATL?

Did Donnie strike out with the bases loaded yesterday? it looked like Gonzo swinging to me.

It’s wake up time boys. If Donnie gets the axe look for that being only the beginning of the changes to come on the way to a Blue October. Player movement is next

12. LOL says:

The dodgers won a game against a bad team with the same terrible record that they had before today’s game 18-26. Not beating MIL could have been the last nail in the coffin for DTB.

Only a really bad team that has given up could not beat Wily the Whale who is a really bad starting pitcher and should not even be in MLB.

Speaking of signing, Figaro pitched well. I am always glad to see a long reliever succeed, unless they pitch for SF.

13. Joseph Olivas says:

No Matter what win or lose I WILL ALWAYS bleed Dodger blue as much as it hurts sometimes I’m a fan when they lose too!

14. Quasimodo says:

Is this the 1st game we saw a lopsided score FOR the Dodgers 2013? I’m amazed that I can only say I’m pretty sure of that. My memory is slipping these days. Yesterday I found myself very confused at the goal of putting 5 of 7 cards together for an answer if it was a good hand or not. It worked out it was, though don’t ask me what the cards were today. I do know Dodgers just completed a road trip against 1st and last place teams and .333 on the trip. Not great, but also not without signs it’ll get better. Lilly vs Cardinals…….hope Dodgers have some momentum.

15. Quasimodo says:

Pretty fair evidence that there will be a 3-way tie for 1st place in the division come tonight. Meaning last place is also 3rd place. Somehow that makes me feel like the lead isn’t that far ahead. And really its not. Its not a simple win against a last place team giving me confidence, its more that the 3 likely to be tied for 1st tonight have won nothing yet. Rarely does the team in 1st at break win the division. The hole isn’t as deep as its seemed.

16. the truth hurts says:

Kemp is the laughingstock of talk radio these days. What a dumb move by pledging $1000 for every home run for essentially his HOMETOWN, when he has 2 homeruns all year? I know he said now he will give $250,000 but you look at Kevin Durant who immediately gave $1 million.

It is not my money and he is certainly donating $250,000 more then me, but what dummy.

OH YA, FIRE MATTINGLY

17. Bball says:

Truth. I may be mistaken but Durant gave a million from his foundation not out of his own pocket and kemp is giving out of pocket but I could be wronge. Also the sorry fucks on radio who are bashing him are pieces of shit. You don’t bash a guy for giving I don’t care if its only 5 bucks. He didn’t have to give anything at all

18. Bball says:

Like badger I’m officially a Donnie B supporter. Go Donnie

Dodgers started today 7 games out of a playoff spot, a couple losses tonight and the number is down to 6 with over 100 to play…….

Is it really over?

Positive changes are coming!

Weak Ken. What – are you still in junior high?

Was watching the midget score hoping we could close to 6 with 116 to go, but that game not over.

Giving up with 4 months left in the season is silly. A lot of baseball left to play.

Long live Donnie Baseball!!

6 games out – 117 left.

Is it possible to make up 6 games in 4 months?

22. Bball says:

Very possible and it will happen with Donnie at the helm

23. Mark Sweeney says:

Badger, time to grow up buddy. You really sound like a little brat on the playground. Time to ignore the punk on the playground for me, I will skip by your posts from this point forward. You are a silly silly person with some severe personality disorder. Enjoy yourself and you are headed for wearing out your welcome in here, others have to see it and I imagine will probably take the route of ignoring you as I have chosen to do.

I agree, Mark, a change is definitely in order. The last few games in particular has shown a number of players that don’t respect Mattingly, the Dodgers or the game. Regardless of all else, players should always hustle. I’m seeing a number of guys not running hard on the bases, showing little effort in the outfield. That type of thing really shows a lot of disrespect for a manager, that they think they are untouchable and can basically do whatever they want to do, not a good development for this club.

Whoever the new manager is, I hope the organization will allow the guy to have a major say in who stays and who plays. If he identifies a problem player, the GM must respond and trade the guy, getting the best deal he can for him but ultimately sending the message that if you don’t want to be here you will be sent away (hopefully to a team like the Pirates or some other backseat team in the MLB).

This team really has some big problems and most are stemming from attitudes it appears. The cats have gotten too fat and a big dog needs to be unleashed.

Going with the above, there’s a lot of chatter out there, especially about Ethier’s attitude and lack of hustle. It finally blew up, and it’s why Donnie benched him today and said what he said. His remarks were probably directed mostly at Andre.

Ned is currently with the AA club. Whether that’s coincidence, or whether that’s to promote Pederson or Puig, who knows. But team comes home today. Tomorrow off day to regroup. Could be big changes in store.

You really think “Mark Sweeney” is getting by everyone in here? Nice try. We arent that stupid. I am frankly surprise Mark let’s you get away with it.

I think Ethier has been a “me first” ball player his whole career. The Dodgers, specifically Jed, rewarded him with a massive contract. He’s ours unless we swallow a huge chunk of that contract – which a new GM just might do.

Ethier’s mid season extension last season was a knee jerk reaction to appeasing fans. What I mean here is the new Dodger brass wanted to give the illusion that they were keeping our “All Stars” and going to add from there. I will say that if Ned and Co knew we would end up with Carl Crawford there is no way in hell they signed Andre to an extension.

I just read an article blasting the gossiping girl mentality of the media and some fans for making this a big deal. If us fair game to publicly say Mattingly should be fired however when he says one of my starting outfielder is not doing his job everyone is considering Andres feelings? Donnie is right! And if he wants to sit Kemp for chasing too many down and away sliders next? That’s fine too. Van Slyke is hitting the ball well. Keep him in. Andre, Matt, Adrian, etc if you don’t like it? Do something about it!

Romo is absolutely right. I think the Ethier extension even preceeded the Hanley trade. It was the first “we’re here and we’re bold” move by Earvin Magic’s Dodgers.

The extension was fine. He’s an all star and good player. the 5/85 amount, as usual per Ned, was overpaying.

28. Mark Sweeney says:

Clipped this from the ESPN site, thought it was very telling about the situation for Mattingly, his responses are indicative of real trouble and he knows it:

Before the game, Mattingly expressed his unhappiness with the team and benched All-Star right fielder Andre Ethier.

Mattingly, in the third and final year of his contract, discussed his club’s lack of mental toughness and said he wanted a balanced team that has grit and fight.

He benched Ethier for the third time in six games and said he was “putting out my lineup that I feel is going to be the most competitive and going to compete the hardest.”

Ethier was not informed of what his manager said until after the game by a member of the team’s media relations staff, and said he took offense to the comment.

“I’m struggling just like everyone else here to get a grip and get a handle on what’s going on here, and never losing hope of what our main goal is,” Ethier said. “Which is to figure this out and turn things around. And figure out a way to get back on top of this division.”

Asked whether he thought Mattingly would be managing on Friday when the Dodgers open a series against the Cardinals, Ethier said, “Why not? We’re not out of this by far. We’re right there — I don’t mean right there — but we’re close.

“A good run the next month or two could put us right back where we want to be by the All-Star break. We have confidence in everyone in this room and everyone on this staff. Other than the pressure put on this team to perform right away and do what’s it’s done is the reason why these issues are coming up.”

After the game, Mattingly was asked if he was worried about getting fired.

“No, not really,” Mattingly said. “Should I be?

The manager then chuckled, and added, “I’m not worried. Maybe I should be.”

The last four words Mattingly uttered is what he is really thinking and believing. Like reading a paragraph in a book, usually the first and last sentence tells the thrust of the paragraph. I believe a new manager is here before June 1.

Saw and heard this on Dodger.com board:

This is when the club was run by a manager . . .

Here is another one . . .

(Not for the faint of heart . . .)

31. voldomer says:

So, what chatter about Ethier is out there?

I’m a bit troubled about how this is being painted in the press as Donny slamming Ethier. I havent found a video clip of the entire interview (including the Ethier-specific stuff), but what I saw was calm, and it appears that Ethier’s name only came up when reporters asked about him specifically. No doubt the situation is tense, but I think the flames are being stoked by those outside the organization.

I’ve thought more than once today that I sure wish Tony Jackson were still on this beat . . .

32. Bball says:

Roger I remember mark putting the Bavequa link on here sometime ago. Since then me and my wife listen to it at least once a week. Absolutely love it. I would sure love to hear what he thinks about this team. It might be worse then the Bavequa incident

33. jerry says:

have you ever wonder why donnie sit a guy after they hit a triple and a homer run..seem like since donnie has been manager..when a guy get hot..donnie sits him the next day..i dont under stand that..it happens all the time.

34. This is the perfect webpage for anybody who would like to understand this topic.
    You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a new spin on a topic that’s been written about for decades. Excellent stuff, just excellent!