Right Reasons, Wrong Things

By criticizing some Dodger players the past few days, Don Mattingly has all but admitted that he has lost this team.  He is frustrated as we all are and wants the team to fight, not just play.  That sums up what is wrong with the Dodgers more than anything else.  Donnie said what he said for the right reasons – they were just the wrong things to say.  You keep that stuff in the clubhouse.  End of story.

There is little doubt that the Dodgers regret signing Andre Ethier to a long-term deal and there is no doubt that they will have to munch a lot of it in order to move him.   Donnie threw Ethier, Dee Gordon and Kenley Jansen under the bus (right reason – wrong thing) and did the same to Ned in questioning some of the teams moves (right reason – wrong thing) .  He may have had the right reasons for everything, but he just did (said)  the wrong thing.

He acts like a wounded animal backed into the corner.  I get it.  I really do.  Don Mattingly is a good dude… fighting for his managerial life.  It’s just not meant to be – the Dodgers and Mattingly.  It’s time to move on.   How many players have under-performed under Mattingly?  Was he part of the problem with James Loney’s problems?  You know, the guy who is hitting over .350 in the AL!

I will be shocked if Mattingly is the manager on Friday and amazed if Ethier is on the team in two weeks.   Ned needs to be fired too, but I doubt that it will happen now.  Someone needs to get control of this team, like now.  The manager needs to be someone who can command respect.  I like Jody Reed, but I think he will have to earn that respect.  There’s no time.  Tony LaRussa is the man to take the clubhouse back.

He will have to pick his coaches – he will want some of them, but some will go.  Everything is on the table now.  Who will the Dodgers get for Ethier and the tens of millions they have to throw in?   Will they call up Puig and/or Pederson?   Will they demote Gordon and Cruz?  This should be interesting….

Parting Shot:  It was nice to get a win, even if it was against a bad team, but don’t get all excited.  The Dodgers only had three extra base hits.  That remains a problem.   A rookie had two…

Any-Bunny

74 Responses to “Right Reasons, Wrong Things”

1. Rob says:

I agree, start fresh with a new direction. It’s like a parent who wants to be best friends with their kids and never dicipline them, you will always fail.

2. Eric says:

Ned needs to go! I’d like to see Donnie make it but everything he said should have been kept in house and not made public for the media to scrutinize.

3. Josh says:

It was the only leverage Donnie still had to get his team to PLAY BALL. Maybe it WORKED.

4. Quasimodo says:

I can’t say that I really have really anything to go on. I learn most from here and a couple other sites. Its being said DM made an attack at Ethier, but I haven’t read that anywhere. At least not his name when he said he was putting the players who would compete most on the field. Was Ethier’s name mentioned or are we connecting dots? At any rate DM did field a team that worked today. Perhaps Mattingly knowing a change was needed started the change with himself. I’m certain we’re not made aware of the real ‘behind the scenes’ stuff at the clubhouse. The problems the Dodgers have been having are too far from my view for me to claim I see the right solution. All I can say there’s been too much talent going to waste. If there’s a cure for that I’m all for it. But maybe its been addressed and already history. This outsider will have to just let the wind blow and see.

5. Watford Dodger says:

Poor old Donnie – we’ve all criticised him for having no animation or spunk and now he’s finally kicking a few asses and saying “this is not acceptable” and he gets admonished for that as well. He should have been doing that from day one (or day two actually – we won on day one) – but good luck to him anyway – just wish he’d done it sooner. Unlucky if people’s egos are hurt.

• Bobbie17 says:

Right on, Watford. This team won’t perform with pats on the back. Kicking ass might work….maybe. It would be great if the new guys would perform and the team wins. Then all will be forgiven. So far the new guys suck, so we are stuck with same ol, same ol.

6. Idaho al says:

I agree with everything you say Mark. I like Donnie, but he has lost the respect from the players. If you do not have respect, you have nothing going for you. He should of done this three years ago. It is too late. I like LaRussa as the manager. Someone they could respect.

I have always like Either, but I am slowly coming around that he is part of the problem. He needs to be traded and soon. I am sure they will have to give him away. He may turn out to be another Looney. Do very well under another manager. He has a lot of potential.

The biggest problem in this who picture is Colletti. He will never admit he made a mistake. That is why Cruz, Hernandez and Urube are still on the team. That is why League is still the closer. That is why Ramirez is our short stop. I read in another blog that Donnie wanted to keep Fed. Ex. Colletti did not want to keep him. He was sent down. Colletti will be gone during the off season. Colletti and Mattingly are not on the same page.

If they both need to go, then they both should go now.

As for what Donnie said, he told the truth. If telling the truth has become a problem, the Donnie should just walk away on his own. He deserves better.

And the idea that he has lost the respect of the players is not one that resonates with me. Everybody associated with this knows the problem has been the players, not the manager. A win streak solves that problem.

Well, it’s Thursday, allegedly the day of reckoning. We wait and see what the plan is.

Donnie would have been the perfect manager for the 1927 Yankees. Or, one of those Yankee teams with Reggie Jackson when they were tough.

I agree about Ned and his choice of roster players. Ned is the one way over his head.

I think Donnie can stay manager and do an okay job, he is learning more and more, and has changed in some areas for the better —— it is Ned and his collection of the “same kind of guy infielders” — Cruz, Ellis, Punto, Schumaker, Uribe. Yes, Schumaker can play the outfield and same with Van Slyke now, but only 3 in the outfield slot.

And as Badger and I keep calling for: no thunder off the bench, big bat, to take the game as a pinch-hitter in the 8th or 9th or extra innings. Dodgers have not had that for years and years now.

It is tough to bring in a new manager in mid-season, but a new GM can re-set the candles on the cake and get smiles back on the faces in the clubhouse.

But this lack of hustle by some players with Davy Lopes on the team kicking butt — something is wrong there.

9. Pete M. says:

I’m going to go with Josh… Verbally lighting a few fires under the asses of the players might just might kick start this mess…
    Idaho al – Dre is the James Loney of 2013… Hard to imagine after interviews, but some of these players can read papers, blogs or listen to their kids after school…

10. Mark Sweeney says:

Hey Mark, did you cut and paste my last two posts to come up with this blog? Or maybe you just agree strongly with what I said, in any event we are on the same page from manager to gm to removing of players with poor attitudes, regardless of contract. The GM has to become a surgeon now in order to save the patient.

11. LOL says:

The gavel is in the air and the sounding board awaits the anticipated loud reunion.

The fact that Ned received an extension, (does that mean that he was merely implementing management’s wishes when the large trades were made last year), and Donnie T-Ball did not, is relevant to many and a bewilderment to some. DTB will not be resigned and will probably be fired this year. Ned has a longer rope, one that many of us hoped long ago would have been pulled. Some of us still await Ms. Ng. However, an interim replacement may already be an employee of LAD. Maybe Ned will become a complete figure head before his contract expires.

There are so many underperformers on the dodgers that the Corrales of this world should leave no stone unturned trying to arrive at the truth regarding how many of the long term dodger coaches, special assistants, instructors and scouts should be relieved of their duties. We are not talking an audit, we are talking about an investigation.

However, the first to be fired really should be, ex-Giant, Stan Conte.

Bring back the Dodger Way.

The Dodger way? What exactly is that? A family owned team?

New times. Corporate ownership.

No shortage of opinion on what needs to be done. Everybody is on record. Soon some blowhard will be announcing what a genius they are – and the same players will be left out there to turn it around. Any player move before the deadline is stupid.

117 games left people. 6 games back in a division that will be beating itself up all year.

Stay calm. We can do this.

• LOL says:

All true dodger fans know what the “Dodger Way” means. Only a SBF would start another attack.

Attack? Why would you feel attacked? Paranoid maybe? Scaredy cat?

Simple question really Ken. You afraid to answer it? What do you consider the “Dodger Way”? And how long has it been since you have actually witnessed that “way”?

13. Pete M. says:

Kudos Badger… Nobody stepping up…
    Happy for SVS and his Pop… Got a feeling he’s gonna be Cicken one day, Feathers the next… But fun for now… (Damned if his feet don’t look uncomfortable in the box…)

“Nobody stepping up…”

They will Pete. This team will play a different second half.

Ramirez reportedly two weeks out. It’s fine with me if they give him 3 more weeks, just to be safe. Then we will have our middle of the lineup together for 6 weeks before the trade deadline. We should know by then what needs to be done.

So I am thinking of potential managers if /when Donnie goes.
    (by the way, I am still holding out hope the team wakes up for Donnie)

Realistic names:

Tim Wallach- He will likely be the interim guy. He will get a shot. But I do feel Wallach is a Donnie-like guy. Calm and player friendly. If he succeeds great! If the team continues it is more likely he gets thrown out with the bath water. A new staff will be in place next year.

Tony LaRussa- He will command immediate respect and ruffle feathers, but he is old. He will probably want to manage just a few years and will likely bring us a Joe Torre/ Donnie situation. He may insist we take Jose Oquendo as a heir apparent. Do we want that?

Dusty Baker- HEAR ME OUT!! Dusty has only a year left after this on his Reds deal and is a former Dodger. Say what you will about his managing of a pitching staff but his teams don’t suck. Dusty has been in the playoffs with very good teams everywhere he has gone. Also I feel the Dodgers would like a minority manager. I have no info to support that but let me just throw it out there.

Tony Pena- This name is interesting to me. Tony is a fiery guy. He managed a bad Royals team in the past and they were respectable but not consistent. He has been Joe Girardi’s bench coach and managed the Dominican WBC team to the championship. This connection to Dominican players would likely bring out the best in Hanley when he comes back maybe even keep him happy at 3B? Also when Puig is here (maybe next year) I think Tony would be able to keep him in check (Yes I know Puig is Cuban, but I think the Latin connection would help). Having a Latin manager would be great in the community also having a veteran no BS manager would be just what this team needs. He is my early choice for our next manager. I have nothing to base this on except my speculation.

There are no available former Dodgers that fit the bill for me. Jody Reed is not a serious candidate. Brett Butler is out there managing in the Dbacks organization? Steve Sax is back in the game but has never managed? Hershiser has never managed and should not be considered a real candidate. He wasn’t really effective as a pitching coach in Texas.

I mentioned Baker yesterday and there wasn’t a peep out of this audience.

The easiest transition and what makes the most sense would be Wallach. But, who’s to say the Guggs will do the easy or sensible thing. Actually, the sensible thing is to let this play out until the deadline.

Hey Timmons…. your basketball team is looking a whole lot better than for which I gave them credit. Played well, right up until George gave up a lane to the basket an M-1 Abrams could have driven down. That was a game they could have stolen. Now, they will be lucky to get two (more likely one) wins against this team. Damn Heat. Hope LaBron goes back to Cleave-land – or out to L.A.. That would be ok. LaBron and Howard?

18. HawkeyeDodger says:

A lot of signs point at Larussa. Two of his coaches are already on staff. He doesn’t have any bad history with any of the Dodgers players yet and when I was at spring training Larussa was there sitting in the team’s suite with Phil Jackson and Magic Johnson.

I wouldn’t consider Wallach a Mattingly guy. He was in the organization before Don arrived.

19. LOL says:

Are these players in the dog house too?

Playing time in the last 7 days

Jansen – 1.0 inning 36.00 ERA
    Rodriquez 0.2 inning 27.00 ERA
    Guerra 1.0 inning 0.00 ERA
    Howell 1.1 inning 0.00 ERA

Gonzalez is 2-23 .087 in the last week. Why isn’t SVS playing IB and Either playing RF?

Gordon was in 5 games 0-13
    Uribe was in 3 games 0-12
    Gonzalez – See above
    Kemp 6 games and 11 KOs
    All four of these players should be in the dog house based upon Donnie T-Balls criteria.

And Ethier is benched? I think that Donnie T-Ball has lost it. Doesn’t matter if Ethier gets mad, so does Kemp. Ethier .265 against LHP and .263 against RHP. No longer a platoon player. Just an underachiever LIKE MOST OF THE PLAYERS MANAGED BY DONNIE T-BALL.

Everyone except these players should currently be called out:
    Kershaw
    Capuano
    Magill
    Ryu
    Belisario
    Guerra
    Howell
    Ryu
    Guerrier

Hernandez
    FedEx
    Schumaker
    SVS
    Punto

Sometimes players are benched because of an attitude issue Ken, not because of numbers. Methinks Ethier has done something to piss off the manager. Those other guys you mention having bad weeks are perhaps not guys with bad attitudes. It’s about effort.

• LOl says:

Just another foolish response by a know nothing.

Players can be in someone’s dog house because of results or effort or attitude. SBF did talk to Donnie? Do you know for a fact why some players get more time than others Do you really think that Donnie T-Ball makes an intelligent decision regarding who plays and who does not play every day, week, month or season?

21. jerry says:

i like kemp hitting in front of gonz,, that way kemp can run..and when either get hot…seem like donnie sit him..he.s been doing that a lot… so to me donnie miss use,s the players..

Badger,

The Pacers are a great team to watch and a match-up nightmare for the Heat. I’m not saying they will win, but they played badly last night and almost won. They won the season series with Miami. They have to win the next game to get back in the series, but they are a very young team. They only have one player over 27 and that’s David West.

Paul George is barely 23 (23 years and 21 days) and is becoming a superstar. He came to the NBA at age 20 and averaged 7.8 points. At 21 he averaged 12.1 points and this year he’s at 17.4. Look for him at around 22 next year.

Lance Stephenson has an opportunity to be a spectacular player too.

George Hill had an off night but he’s a local boy and very solid player. The Pacers are becoming a force in the NBA. Danny Granger missed all season but should be back next year. With another role player or two, the Pacers will be contenders as teams like Miami age…

I\’s fun to watch them grow together.

23. Gary Busey says:

Belligerent
    Annoying
    Delusional
    Gonorrhea
    Eating
    Reject

24. Watford Dodger says:

You should have some respect. From what I see Badger has an opinion then listens to others and then makes a positive reply that is always courteous. He is what makes this forum tick.

Thanks Watford. I appreciate the words. Both LOL, (Ken) and Mark’s Weenie (roid I believe) have had a burr up their asses for some time now. Not sure what I did, other than have an opinion that differed from theirs. Different opinions is what this place all about, is it not?

All I know about the Ethier situation is what I read, and everyone else read it too, so, if somebody knows something I don’t – post it here. Ethier to date, has underperformed and who knows what he is saying in the clubhouse. Appeared to me that Ethier is (was) in the doghouse, and all the other guys on that list are busting their asses but with limited success. I have not heard Donnie say anything about anybody in particular other than what he said when asked why Ethier is on the bench. I believe Mattingly is the consumate “player’s manager” and that will work, or it won’t. I doubt he changes much.

25. Anonymous says:

Mattingly knows it’s coming and is probably packing up his office, secretly. You just don’t say what he is saying without knowing that it really doesn’t matter anymore. In other words, they are going to shoot me anyway I might as well go down swinging. He is now hast to be looking ahead at what a future employer would want to hear from him. Personally I don’t see him ever getting a managerial job again, coaching job yes however. He is a nice guy and apparently was a good follower for Torre. He knew his job was on the line when the brass didn’t give him an extension and he had to prove he belonged this season. It is not a question of if but a question of when.

26. Quasimodo says:

Well Badger, it seems he’s changed enough to have us, every other baseball site, ESPN, all local news channels and MLBN talking and second guessing what the change in him means. It might be by plan to shake up anybody in the uniform who has less of a contract that they better play. I’ll admit I’m stretching with that second guess.

I’ve been extremely busy for quite a while, and that is going to continue for quite a while. So busy, in fact, I’ve been unable to gather the energy to stay up late and watch games, and have even missed most road games. So really, I’m not in a position to say much that I would consider even remotely informative.

I’m ambivalent about a managerial change. If it happens, so be it, if not, so be that also. But considering what lousy years Kemp and Ethier are having, throw in Hanley’s absence from the lineup, and then consider the other assorted injuries to players and the pitching staff, I wouldn’t get all that perturbed about being in last place, given that the Dodgers are only 5 games out in the loss column, and it still isn’t even June. One big hot streak, or a long run of solid play in the .600+ range, and the Dodgers could find themselves at the top of the heap in relatively short order. Weren’t the Giants 7.5 games behind the Dodgers later than this last year?

The Ethier situation is a bit disturbing, but I’m not ready to pass judgment on that matter either way. Just don’t know enough. As for changes in general, I believe they’re coming. When and what they’ll be, I don’t have a clue.

Not sure it’s worth that much, but that’s my two cents for today.

Meanwhile, Aaron Miller, our prized 2009 or 2010 supplemental pick for losing Derek Lowe, is being moved from pitching to outfield.

Solid 3 years wasted there.

Well Quas, maybe this is what Donnie looks like when he is pissed off. It isn’t much if you ask me. Maybe behind closed doors he is throwing chairs, but I doubt it. He is calm. That’s just his demeanor. Always has been. When he was a player he just went about his business of being one of the best players in the game.

And.. anonymous… I don’t know that he is packing up his office. I really don’t think so. Like Brooklyn just said, and I have been trying to point out, the Dodgers are not that far behind. One win streak and they are back in it. The Rumors Dodgers notes piece today talking about the Dodgers says exactly what I have been saying…. wait for a while and see what the Dodgers look like in July. There is plenty of time left. To pull the trigger now will look knee jerk. Is that the message the management wants to send out there? I doubt it.

But, having said that, I wait to see if all the Donnie haters are right. Like Brooklyn, I really don’t care all that much. I just the want the team to start playing to it’s ability. I don’t believe that will actually happen until Ramirez is back and Greinke, Kemp and Ethier are at full strength.

30. Quasimodo says:

I’m not hating DM. Actually I feel we’ll at least see him through this season. And being in last is likely to change very soon. Trades are coming, no doubt, but both Mattingly and Ethier will likely be with Dodgers after the trade deadline. Then again,…if Dodgers suffer a sweep by Cardinals I’m sure the axe will will fall on somebody’s neck. There’s still too many good things going with this team to throw in the towel. I don’t feel real good about tomorrows game with Lilly taking the mound, but they won’t sweep us.

31. the truth hurts says:

The team with the best record in baseball comes to town while Donnie is walking on eggshells….

This is going to be interesting.

32. Mark Sweeney says:

Oops that last Annon was me. I tossed my cookies and didn’t catch my glorious name was missing, lol.

I wasn’t a real Mattingly fan to begin with. He was Torre’s choice and all that came from the Yankees, a team I have had a difficult time with for a long time. Too many bridges with former players have been burned. I would like to see all of those relationships patched up. And that includes Scioscia and Piazza. I want Donnie to stay simply because it means the team is playing too well to fire him.

Managing high profile athletes is a delicate thing. Look at all the circus that often surrounds the Yankees. And there is what happened in Boston last year. You have a team full of guys making around $20 million a year and you might just have ego issues that can overwhelm most, not to mention those guys who after signing those contracts no longer have the years that earned them that money.

“I will be shocked if Mattingly is the manager on Friday and amazed if Ethier is on the team in two weeks.” Mark

Well, I will be shocked and amazed if either of those things happen in that time frame. Unless the organization believes Puig is ready NOW and is willing to give Ethier away, it makes no sense to do an Ethier trade at this time. That would be a move out of weakness and you KNOW Jed would get snookered big time in that scenario.

Seems to me, that a team that needs either a 1) present manager to re-direct himself, or, 2) hire a new manager –

That team, floundering in place, that is, going no where but down –

Needs a manager who can support the players who are having a good solid season, and MOTIVATE the players who are under-performing. Kick butt when they have too, and teach or instruct when they have too, and get all of the players on the same page.

Also, if a player or players cannot get on that page — they need to go, 1) in a trade, 2) released, 3) sent down or on a rehab assignment.

That last part if the general manager’s job, to work with the manager to get a roster of players — on the same page the team is going.

That makes chemistry possible.

Note: not every player can have a career year, every year — but players like Kemp and Ethier should be moving up and getting even better — but not his slip and slide around in neverland.

It is not too late to get back in the race — the only major concern, is that EVERYONE OR EVERY TEAM is ahead of them. Little room for error.

So, guys, grab your hats and bats, and play some baseball.

Some folks like to evaluate a player on how he has done the last week. So, those who care about such trivial pursuits might want to know that Loney is hitting .211 in his last 5 games. After hitting a remarkable .373 in March/April, he is hitting .329 this month and on his way back to his usual numbers. You just can’t gauge a whole season on a quarter season’s worth of work.

Which brings me to Ellis and Punto.

I believe Mattingly is still the manager. Somebody should check on Mark as he is no doubt in shock.

Looking over League’s numbers on fangraphs trying to figure out what might be wrong, and I came up with nothing. The few times I have actually seen him blow up it looked to me like he has lost confidence in his split finger. If he can’t throw that thing at the ankles he won’t be of much use. His FA velocity remains up, but his out pitch is his SI and locating it. We need him.

36. Gonzo says:

Regarding Mattingly, I still think there needs to be a change, but Iread an article(don’t remeber where) that Mattingly went ahead with his comments after he had already told the front office and got the green light to do it. I now have my doubts that Donnie will be canned this season, but all these votes of support from the higher ups is what keeps people talking about the “kiss of death”

As for Ethier, he had it coming. His attitude is whack. Always has been. I’ve already posted before that a buddy of mine played with him at ASU and Pat Murphy, the biggest douche bag ever, sent him packing to a community college “to work on some things.” The truth was that Murphy couldn’t stand Ethier and was hoping that by taking his spot from the ASU club he’d transfer.

Ethier is a servicable player that thinks he’s better than he actually is. In his mind he’s a superstar while in reality he’s a complimentary player. His contract is on Ned. Now, watching the MLB network this season one of the analysts said that after talking with several front office officials from other teams said that they would trade a high prospect for ethier as long as the Dodgers picked up the majority of the contract.

Agree Badger on League.

Many times (and it should be almost all the time) a team’s pitching coaches (major and minor) should be able to tweak or fix or correct some pitchers deliveries to make them more effective.

That is what the team pays Honey for; and the other coaches.

Now, it might take part of a season or just 5 minutes, but I believe we will see the correction down the road — or the Dodgers will send him, down the road.

Bet the Cardinals are shaking in their cleats today, getting ready for the game tonight. They know the Dodgers are turning the corner (as Bush used to say) and there is no going back.

Gonzo, let me add this to the Ethier discussion you just shared.

When Mark and I were in Vero Beach, in one of Kemp first real Spring Trainings with the big club — we met his father, Carl. Prior to the game, standing the in the stands, watching pre-game practice, batting practice, and such — we talked for over an hour.

Even met Matt’s mother. When Matt was coming in from the outfield, Carl (his father) called Matt over to the rail — and introduced him to us. He signed a couple of baseballs, and then moved into the clubhouse.

BUT — in that hour discussion — Carl said, that Matt said that Andre Ethier was . . . you can fill in the words. But difficult, would be one of them. That Andre and the others trying to win positions on the club — had much different attitudes and work ethics.

Also, during the game, Matt hit his first Spring Training home run and as I was making my way back to the men’s room at the end of that inning — Carl was walking back — called me over to show me his cell phone. Logan White had just sent him a message; it said, “Bam.” Carl was smiling ear to ear.

I told him that I took a picture of that swing and got a great shot . . .

Anyway, when I made the Shutterfly hard book (9 x 11) of: “Spring Training, Vero Beach – 2006-2008″ (45 pages of color photos/images, plus cover & back) — I placed that photo on page 17 with a full page shot.

A year ago this month, I took my copy of the Shutterfly book to Houston when my son and I went in to see 2 games against the Astros. On the Sunday game, our seats were in the first row, down the 3rd base line in mid-left field. Matt was doing exercises in left field with his trainer. I called him over, showed him the book with his picture — and told him, that was his first HR in Spring Training several years back, he signed page 17, stared at it — shook my hand and smiled. Nice moment.

By the way, Mark had some extra copies of the book, sent 2 of them to the Dodgers
    front office.

If any of you would like a copy of that book, I can have another printed and simply ask for the printing charge. Shutterfly usually has a special discount offer. Just ask, glad to help build your Dodger stuff.

I think I recall your post about Ethier Gonzo. I remember it cementing what I already thought about the guy. Your analysis is spot on. He is a 3 WAR player, which is good but not great. I still think his numbers would increase playing on a different team in a more friendly park. Very few, if any, seem to have positive things to say about him. And yes, his contract is on Jed.

The night I remember watching League Roger was a night his split finger was going nowhere near the strike zone so he threw four straight 93 mph fastballs (forget the batter) with the fourth one belt high inside landing somewhere in the bleachers. He doesn’t even throw a curve anymore so if that splitter can’t be located he is pretty much worthless. I don’t know what the problem is. I know more about hitting than I do pitching, but I could consult my buddy’s son. He is the pitching coach at Florida Gulf Coast. Chris Sale is one of his students.

40. Bball says:

Would Philly entertain an offer of papelbon for ethier? I sure wish we would have got soriano

I am not in shock but I am shocked that Guggs and Company are so clueless. Remember this day – they will rue it!

42. Mark Sweeney says:

I met a guy, actually got to be friends with him while I was in Scottsdale, he said he went to school with Ethier. Described Ethier as a nice guy but could be a little different at times. He liked the guy but commented that he did have an enormous ego, he chalked it up to him being a top athlete with extreme confidence. So what one person sees as one being an asshole, others might see as just a confident person pushing themselves. So take your pick, I tend to think an asshole is an asshole from sun up to sundown, personal observation of what makes some people tick. Sort of like alcohol being the great truth serum, a genuinely good guy drinks and becomes the happy drunk, the asshole drinks and becomes the angry drunk, the filter was just removed and revealed the true essence of the person. It doesn’t have to be just alcohol that does this, it can be sports, business dealings, disagreements with others, etc. those things tend to reveal the true person lying under the surface.

This guy likes him:

What’s not to like about a guy who will wear an outfit that costs $10,000. That is a nice Madison Martin Margiela leather trench coat, but I think it’s the $2400 Ann Demeulemeester beige suede trousers with 4 cm leopard print fur belt with Gasper bone leather driving gloves that really set that outfit apart.

Nothing pretentious about that.

Send him to Boston. He’s a better fit there.

Badger, I will order you a copy of the book . . .

When I place the order — if any others want a copy, I should do it at the same time, postage wise.

Also, I need addresses, to have them send it directly to you.

Right now on their web site is a 40 percent discount. Looking at their order form with the discount is will be about $38 and maybe some postage. Remember, it is one of a kind with 100 color pictures, with 17 of them full page (9 x 11).

If you want a copy, send me an e-mail at: Rmsobin@aol.com
    with your mailing address and after I place the order, will send you the final costs. It will come in just a few days, they are fast.

45. Mark Sweeney says:

Yeah an asshole is an asshole from dusk to dawn, that would be a better way to state it. They can’t help themselves, it just bubbles out of every orifice of their body.

So Ethier, carries it, exudes it and exercises it in all he does. Ever notice how a truly unhappy person goes out of their way to show anger and lack of civility in everything thing they do or so. They can take the most simple thought of another and somehow twist around to fit their needs for anger. Very sad to watch someone just perpetuate hostility and ultimate isolate themselves. Hopefully we can see some change in those types of personalities, but it is hard to change the sripes on a tiger.

46. Quasimodo says:

Perhaps with so much noise about the Dodgers from the media, along with a day off for them find their names printed, we’ll see their plate appearances not so casual. A win tonight will be big. They all are aware that every at bat, every error, all fielding and every pitch thrown could be the story of the month. They know the media’s at ready to pounce. Very interesting. Can’t wait!

If you use the Power Rankings as a marker, we don’t stand a chance in this series. St. Louis #2 Dodgers #25. MLB Who Will Win This Match-Up…. St. Louis 96.3% (dang)

For that reason I am taking the Dodgers.

47. Quasimodo says:

It would be nice if Vegas odds reflected anything close to that. It’d be worth betting every luxury dollar you possessed. Hopefully we’ll be satisfied with a win to stop the bleeding. That’d be plenty enough for tonight.

48. Quasimodo says:

I thought Lilly was pitching tonight. Cappy is. Its looking better.

Just received an e-mail from one of you to order the Dodger – Vero book. Plus Badger, that makes two.

Any others (see above about the book)? I will wait a day or so before ordering.

I just called MLB.com and told them the Dodgers will beat the Cardinals tonight, so they can put the “win” in the standings right now !!

51. William says:

As I said the other day, I do not think that there is any hope for this organization until Colletti has been fired. Colletti is probably the worst GM in baseball, and never had any real idea of what he is doing, he just buffaloed McCourt, and maybe now even Kasten. Keep Colletti, and we’re buried for years.

I would prefer to have the new GM hire the new manager. But since Colletti won’t be fired midseason, I still would prefer to see Mattingly fired now, because he’s a very poor manager, so why keep him, irrespective of “whose fault it is?”

For a long time, the Dodgers have not been well run. They have had GMs ranging from Fred Claire to Kevin Malone, Paul DePodesta, now Colletti. No wonder we never win much of anything. Great franchises have smart people in all positions. The Dodgers have been so public relations conscious for so many decades, that they have let the baseball building and strategy sides of it virtually collapse. I do not care about Dodger Dogs or Kool a Koo whatever, or the next promotions. I care about having a franchise which other teams and their fans, not marketers, envy. Right now, we are pretty much the laughingstock of baseball and basically have been ever since McCourt and Colletti. Major changes are needed, and I do not know if Kasten is capable enough to know how to make them. I can only hope that he brings in an absolutely topflight GM, to help him.

Well presented William.

I have to agree it’s been a while since we appeared to be stable at all levels.

I asked Ken-ken-lol a question about “The Dodger Way” that he refused to answer. So I’ll put it out to the rest of the group:

How would you descrbie “the Dodger Way” and when was the last time you actually saw it represented on the field?

My feeling is, the last group of players I feel were actual all Dodgers might have been the Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey years. Even the 1988 Dodgers had half the starting lineup come from somewhere else. We used to have ROY candidates every year. Not anymore. Bill Russell played his entire career with the Dodgers. 18 years. Was he the last one?

I haven’t seen “The Dodger Way” in a long, long time. Would love to see it again.

52. Mark Sweeney says:

Fred Claire was GM the last time we won a ring, 1988. I don’t mind that kind of success at all from my GM.

53. Idaho al says:

Everybody has an opinion. Being a player’s manager, in my opinion, is not a good statement for the manager. Sure they like playing for Donnie because he protects them at all times when there are times when they should not be protected. They need to be told when they make a mistake. If the player continues, then they sit. In the last series, I saw Crawford and Kemp not running hard on base hits. The Milwaukee announcers commented on this both times. This is why I think we need a new manager and General Manager. I really think Colletti is the biggest problem. Signing Either to a 5 year contract is on him. Keeping Uribe, Cruz, and Hernandez is on Colletti. I have taught and coached at the high school level. I never really cared if the players or students like me. I cared if the students or players respected me.

54. Idaho al says:

One more thing about Colletti. Andruw Jones and Jason Schmidt are also a part of Colletti’s great signings.

Didn’t take long to give up an unearned run.

This is a terrible defensive team. Have to make up for up with the bats.

56. Don Mattingly says:

This Dodgers team stinks!

57. Bball says:

This game is over. This team has not come back once this year and no walk offs. Just no magic at all

58. Bball says:

At least tomorrow I’m going to where there’s always magic. Disneyland. Then Sunday going out to the ravine to see the only bright spot all year in kershaw pitch a 0 to 0 game into the ninth and get a no decision.

I wonder if Donnie’s lineup today showed grit

60. jerry says:

lilly tomorrow another lose,cant wait.

1. [...] Right Reasons, Wrong Things By criticizing some Dodger players the past few days, Don Mattingly has all but admitted that he has lost this team.  He is frustrated as we all are and wants the team to fight, not just play.  That sums up what is wrong with the Dodgers more than anything else.  Donnie said what he said [...]… [...]