Random Thoughts and Other Stuff

• I want to propose a trade: Don Mattingly for Mike Scioscia.  I think it has only happened one other time in Major League History.  In 1960 Cleveland traded Joe Gordon to the Tigers for Jimmy Dykes.  That’s the only one I could find.  The Dodgers need a fresh start.  The Angels need a fresh start and the Dodgers like to take on long contracts.  Scioscia is under contract until 2018.  Sounds like a marriage made in heaven.  It just might change both teams.
  • It’s been a while since a pitcher has came through the Dodgers’ system like Ross Stripling.  I think the last one I remember is some guy named Kershaw.   Stripling had a 2-0 record at High A Rancho Cucamonga with a 2.94 ERA and a 1.04 WHIP.  Clayton started at Low A Great Lakes after 2 games in the Rookie League, and he was a lot younger (5 years).   Rancho is in a hitters league where pitchers go to die, but Ross did very well.  He was called up to Chattanooga the other day when Onelki Garcia went on the DL, so he goes out and pitches 6 innings, allows 5 hits and 1 run while striking out 8 and walking 1.  Yeah, it’s early but stuff like that can get you the called up to pitch in LA by JULY.  Stripling looks like a solid #3… or better!  I’ve got to tell you that Ross Stripling is near the TOP of the Dodgers TOP Prospects.  I really think we will see him in LA THIS YEAR.
  • Before this season started, lots of you were ga-ga over Luis Cruz and thought he’d be the Dodgers 3B,  but  I warned you that he only walked 9 times in 296 Plate Appearances and said it was unlikely he could sustain that.  No problem you said.  Yes, there’s a problem.  They quit throwing him strikes.  He has one intentional BB this year and no others,  and keeps on swinging.  He’s hitting .088.  Get his off the team now!  What a waste of a roster spot.
  • While taking about waste of a roster spot, let’s talk Ramon Hernandez.  OK, NO  let’s don’t.  Memo to Ned: Just because you traded Aaron Harang for him doesn’t mean you have to keep him.  Cut bait.  Move on.  You have Fed-EX.  Fed-Ex called a great game last night.
  • Greinke will evidently pitch on Wednesday, so send Cruz down and bring Greinke up.  While you are at it,  release Hernandez and call up anybody.
  • This is the every other off year for Ronald Belisario.  Maybe the Dodgers should just send him on a 4-month all expense vacation and let him pitch next year.
  • Does Brandon League have a clue where any of his pitches will go?
  • Jun Uribe with an OB% over .400 – He should play every day!
  • A-Gons neck problems worry me.  A neck is tricky…
  • SVS and Dee Flash are making the best of second chances.  I hope they keep it up.
  • So far, Carl Crawford is making me eat my words.  They taste pretty good.  I hope I keep munching them.
  • Let’s Roll!

Flotrol-Slide3

61 Responses to “Random Thoughts and Other Stuff”

1. HemmorhoidRage says:

You are so right on many of your points today, Billy. We agree on Uribe, he must be in there and Cruz must be tossed on the scrap heap. Good point that the pitchers no longer throw strikes to Cruz and he just keeps hacking, you saw it and I didn’t.

Hernandez, well that’s more than enough time spent on his sorry azz.

Belisario, insert coke here. Don’t you get it, he gets clean every other year. Do the math, follow the blow.

Gonzo, yeah neck injuries can go very bad, but barring some nerve damage or the like, they can suddenly be better, as if he never had the injury. I haven’t seen anything on his actually medical condition, just “sore or stiff neck”.

Badger, Gotcha! Not the first time in your life that you have been told what I posted about your narcissism and that what bugs you most, you transparent bastardo. “I find it odd you are so obsessed with me. Maybe I should be flattered that you spend so much time and effort attacking me, but honestly I don’t give a damn. I don’t need your approval.” You nailed it in that last line, you don’t need my approval, you need your approval, exactly you’re a narcissist, you finally see it. As you so often tell others (failed attempt at comedy) you need to change your meds.

2. LOL says:

It is time to give Mattingly an extension through 2016. He is not the problem. It is the lower level staff that is creating all of the problems. McGuire even created a video for all of the hitters and that is the reason that the hitters are getting killed with RISP.

I believe I was skeptical about Cruz, especially his total lack of plate discipline. And I don’t think I was the only one. So you saw it, and so did a number of other people.

Letting Hernandez go is a good idea, and I suspect it will happen sooner rather than later. Uribe seems to be taking the ball up the middle and to right field a lot more than he did in the past, and he’s shown unusual plate discipline for a guy that’s never shown any before. Maybe after all these years the message has finally taken hold. And maybe, like often happens, bad habits will re-surface, and this will only be temporary. For now I see him as a bench guy who can cover both corner infield spots, get an occasional start to spell the regulars, come off the bench to pinch hit and as a defensive replacement. But when Hanley is hopefully healthy, I want him at 3B and Gordon (if he continues to play well) at short.

SVS????? I never liked him, and I’m still suspect. He’s got power, and will occasionally run into one. But long term I don’t see him being particularly valuable. But if there’s room to keep him around, he too might prove useful, especially against lefthanded pitching. And before he gets exposed and wears out his welcome, maybe he can be used in a deal to get something of value. Even Uribe might become tradeable if he continues to produce. And then I could be wrong, and both players will become All-Stars.

Baseball America had Stripling as the #10 Dodgers prospect, and said that they “felt fortunate to get [him] in the fifth round.” They noted that the Dodgers “see the makings of a No. 3 starter who can climb through the system quickly.” So maybe he will make it to LA this year.

Maybe if that managerial trade actually happens (I’m not holding my breath), the Dodgers will get a player as well, as compensation for taking on Scioscia’s long term deal.

SVS — or should I say, Van Slyke — if he can play 1B, can he learn to play 3B.

I know there is more traffic there with hit balls. Bunts, and taking those throws from the outfield . . . but maybe, even a 6’5″ guy can play 3B. Wow, would that make things interesting.

How about 125 balls a day for practice, and work him in there.

I’m all for that trade Mark. Nobody else seemed interested. I do agree with LOL that it’s the players. But, I have always thought Scioscia should be back here. We got Lopes back. Maybe a homecoming would do him some good. Won’t happen though.

Greinke probably isn’t ready, but even at that he is our best option for that night.

As you know, I was never on the Cruz mobile. Time for him to go. He and Hernandez can get on a bus to Mexico. Buenas vaginas amigos.

Transparent bastardo? So, I have been compared to a Jihad terrorist, had my family life slammed and been called a narcissistic bastard. Good times in here. Nice people.

Word on SVS Brooklyn is he worked hard on what it was he needed to. Maybe he can hit a curve now. Who knows. Late bloomer.

Juan Uribe’s OBP won’t stay where it is, League will get it figured out, AGon will be fine, Belisario prolly won’t, and Gordon should settle in to be a better than average ML player. Just keep getting on base kid.

Why was Beckett lifted?

7. Bball says:

Cause he sucks. Really

8. Bball says:

He pulled a Matt kemp

3 innings. 2 earned. 68 pitches. Is he hurt? Guess I’ll have to look it up.

Watching the Braves. They look like a football team.

10. Rob says:

This game sucks!! The team looks lifeless with no comeback in them. How can you have a fat runner on third with no outs and not score? The score should be 4-3 but with guerras error and our non hitting with RISP we are down big. No heart!!

11. Rob says:

Fast not fat, sorry.

12. Jason says:

I’m running out of things to write.
    Beckett looks like he doesn’t give a crap and doesn’t look pumped up to be a Dodger. I think he is honestly happy with just collecting a paycheck.

Well Jason, it IS an extremely large check.

Got the info on Beckett. Groin strain. He should be ok, but, what is ok with him?

The Nats gave up 9 hits and 2 earned. We gave up 10 hits and 3 earned. The Dodgers staff had more strikeouts. It should have been a closer game. This is not a good defensive club. (26th in fldg. %) Even our pitching isn’t as good as it should be. (19th in BAA, 20th in ERA) I still think our pitching is likely to improve. But, something that probably won’t?………..

after watching some of the better teams in the league it has become clear we don’t compete on the power stage. (27th slg.%, 28 in HR) I think Kemp might come around, but Ethier and Gonzalez aren’t going to hit more than about 16 each and who knows what Ramirez can do. This is a station to station club, without a lot of speed. What to do?

13. Idaho al says:

Badger, I agree with everything you say except one. League will not figure it out. I saw him pitch for Seattle. He was their closer. He is doing now exactly what he did in Seattle. He is not consistent enough to be the closer. That is why he was traded. He was demoted from the closer position in Seattle and then traded. Sometimes he looks great and then he looks terrible. You cannot have a closer that is inconsistent. He has been inconsistent for at least five years. It is too late for him to figure it out.

Well, you may be right al. I never really saw him pitch before last year, and he looked great with us. The last 5 years he has been a +WAR player with a reasonable ERA. He had 37 saves one year, but, that was 2 years ago. A lot can happen in 2 years. He’s not that old (just turned 30) but who knows, maybe 30 in combination with L.A. is the magic number. He still has that nasty splitter, so, if he can start that thing thigh high instead of ankle high he can still strike people out. We need him, so, I am going to be pulling for him.

14. Quasimodo says:

Good morning men, yeah, hard to say, but when Gordon reaches 3B with A-Gon, Kemp and Ethier lined up for 3 outs I have to start telling myself that my beloved Dodgers just ain’t up for a challenge. How the current trend we’re setting can be turned around I’m clueless about. It shouldn’t matter how good the opposition’s pitching is against the 3,4 and 5 holes in our lineup that they continually leave runners stranded NO MATTER is a letdown. Sad to say these things but we sure have little to puff our chests about until they turn things around. Well at least tonight we’ll have a proven man on the mound. Now can the rest of this team get on the same page as Kershaw? Guess we’ll see.

15. emerson-Lake says:

There were two expensive bets in the Boston deal (besides losing two great pitching prospects, although it looks like DeLaRosa may be a bit tattered at this point). Looks like we won bet number one, on Crawford, and this was the biggest bet. The man is back, and will be a major factor for the Dodgers over the next five years. Since his contract was the biggest and the longest, this was the one to win. The second bet was on Beckett–and let’s face it, we lost. I don’t know all the “things” Mattingly was referring to, but there were “things” in Boston going back a while. He was able to come back in Boston for a while, but by now it’s too late, there’s not enough arm left. I don’t he doesn’t like being a Dodger, I think he doesn’t like having to go out there and pitch without the stuff that got him there. Would you? I don’t think the team likes going out there behind him. Use the groin to disable him, then send him to AAA to rehab. If he can’t rebuild his arm and figure things out down there in three weeks, then bite the bullet and DFA him and move on–gotta stop him from costing us a chance to win as well as money. Looks like may be Caps is coming around–and then there’s the other struggling vet, Lilly, but since he never had a fastball, he stands a better chance of getting his game back than Beckett. After that, we hold auditions from the minors–unless McGill can stick. Need to ditch Gura–no put-away pitch anymore–how’d that happen? And we must lose the Cruz who has become the new Uribe.
    Of course getting Greinke back will solve a lot of problems…that’s like trading–Greinke for Beckett, gotta like that deal!

On Greinke, this surgery he had — will all that metal stay in his body for life, or does it come out at some point?

Face it, he might never be the same pitcher. There are times a pitcher covers first base or even the plate — and a crash of players — ouch.

17. HemmorhoidRage says:

Quas, yeah it really is something to watch the ineptness of what is supposed to the meat of our order. I don’t think this team could do any worse if they were trying.

I little story my dad used to tell me flashed through my mind, it was the story of the marching band that has one member that just can’t understand why the rest of the band is out of step on each performance. That one member never has the ability to realize that he might just be the one out of step and the rest of the band has it right. Just a thought for that “out of step” band member. Enjoy.

Something I learned in an adolescent behavior class in college, ignore the pouting kid who demands attention and eventually he will give it up.

Your post makes sense to me emerson. I still have hope that Beckett can get people out, if only for a few innings. Who knows, maybe he becomes our long man. He was good not that long ago. In 2011 he threw 193 of 2.89 in the A.L.. He is still striking out 8.5 per 9. Figure it out Josh. We could use your help.

19. Bobbie17 says:

This team is totally overmatched now when it plays the upper level teams. Only with Kershaw pitching is there much of a chance to win. How about 15 games out on June 1? Maybe then some heads will roll. Mattingly didn’t prepare this team in Spring Training, and this team needed a good Spring Training. We are seeing the results now. Injuries are not a good excuse. Good teams/organizations find a way. I would hate to be a Dodger farmhand. Nowhere to go except in trade. Basically preparing to play for another team. A good way to build an organization, right? A pathetic first quarter of the season.

20. HemmorhoidRage says:

Bobby17, this team is overmatched by all other teams, except the mighty Marlins. I guess that ranks the Dodgers as the second worst team in baseball. There is definitely an issue with Mattingly.

I have another suggested manager, Orel Hershisher! Solid guy, proven winner, Dodger Blue to the core. Likes to analyze and assess talent. He would be a great choice. I want to receive Orel!

I learned that it sometimes very important to call a rat a rat and treat an asshole like an asshole. So there you go, tuba boy. You been served. Your ego won’t allow introspection, but at least you can’t say you haven’t been told (yet one more time in your pathetic life, won’t you ever learn?).

21. Anonymous says:

Not sure what’s more annoying, this pathetic Dodger team, or the 7th grade playground spats some of “members” of this board engage in.

Agree with what B17 said; this is not pretty, and it’s not looking pretty over the next month either.

Leave us not forget how long the year is. I don’t know what the outcome is going to be, but I refuse to say anything as negative as “this team is over matched by ever team but the Marlins” That’s just ridiculous.

I trust this team will play better when all the parts are back. Better enough? I don’t know about that. I think a move at the deadline will probably be in order, and who knows now what team will be sellers and will team will be buyers.

I remain confident.

Unfortunately, no matter what moves we make, unless it’s Mike Trout or Justin Verlander, will be significant enough to overcome horrible play by Kemp and Ethier.

We will go as those 2 go, and unless they wake up, we’re toast. If they wake up, they can carry us to a 13 out of 15 type streak and get us back in it.

Now, what are the odds of them both waking up?

24. LOL says:

This team is clueless. They still do not know which starters will pitch after Tuesday night.

The mighty Twins (18-17) have 2 more home runs than the Dodgers and 37 more runs, in 2 less games. Maybe eating Walleye helps them have less stress and therefore see the pitch! The Dodger team must have decided to pass on the Walleye and are importing the Crappie for their private health food deli!

25. Quasimodo says:

This Dodger team does have potential. But living up to it is not being realized. I’m certain they’ll play better, but good enough to climb out of the hole they’re digging I’m having my doubts. I think we’ll be seeing good baseball soon from this team, but the chances of making the playoffs are dwindling. I’ll remain hopeful till I have to channel hope for this season to the next.

26. Corey says:

Anybody else notice who our #1 prospect at Chatanooga should be…..Joc Pederson is killing it down there. I’m not sure what his upside is, but he’s certainly outplaying Puig and everyone else so far.

Player POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS E

Joc Pederson OF 36 135 31 48 9 2 8 19 85 17 24 10 2 .425 .630 .356 1.054 1

Yasiel Puig RF 25 95 15 26 6 1 5 20 49 7 20 5 3 .337 .516 .274 .852 0

• Mark_Timmons says:

Pederson has a shot at being a very good outfielder.

He is also most likely to be traded as he has no future in the Dodger outfield.

27. Quasimodo says:

I just read Zack will be the starter for tomorrows game. Really hope he’s ready!

28. the truth hurts says:

Kemp just isn’t making strong contact. His power is to right-center field, but he could also turn on an inside pitch like no other. When he turns on inside pitches these days, they’re typically singles.

The following Dodgers have as many home runs as Kemp this season: Dee Gordon, Jerry Hairston, Clayton Kershaw, Nick Punto and Justin Sellers. That says quite a bit.

Kemp’s isolated power is .073. The league-average is .145. His career number is .201. It seems offseason shoulder surgery has sapped him of his power — for now.

His lack of power has been the most glaring deficiency in Kemp’s game this season. It appears he’s swinging with less authority, causing him to miss extremely hittable pitches — pitches he absolutely crushed last April.

The Dodgers need Kemp to perform. With Gonzalez hitting well, but with minimal power, and Andre Ethier struggling this season, Kemp is the heart and soul of this offense. If he isn’t hitting, the Dodgers aren’t winning. -some yahoo article

This guy was supposed to be our leader, our power threat, our middle of the order fear factor. What a HUGE disappointment.

One never knows the future. Heck, I am still waiting for Darren Dreifort to show up.

The Dodgers paid him $63,882,000 for 872.2 innings of work. He started 113 games from 1994 through 2005 (injured) . . . and was the Dodger’s 1st pick and #2 of the 1993 draft. Note: ARod was #1 that year; Trot Nixon was #7, Derrek Lee was #14, Chris Carpenter was #15, Torii Hunter was #20, Jason Varitek was #21 (all of those in the first round of that draft).

Kemp is supposed to be the future of the Dodgers in CF, maybe moving to RF if and when a center-fielder moves in. We think, believe, hope that Matt kinds himself, gets his power back, and plays like the beast he can be. Maybe . . . but funny, he just might need some new scenery and be moved in some big trade. Maybe to the Cubs for a package including Starlin Castro their SS. Who knows.

Matt is up right now — pop-up.

30. LOL says:

Haren = Beckett. Start the party.

A good loser is a “loser”
    It ain’t over til Rosanne sings the anthem, again; not
    Is the hitting coach teaching Matt to pull the ball like he did, just wondering?
    Sweet Baby James is leading the Majors in BA. Loved his swing since the first time I seen it. Predicted batting titles [in this sites previous posts]and opined he was Rod Carew-ish. Good for you

Just win baby[Al Davis]

Kershaw 132 pitches. Really Donnie?

33. Quasimodo says:

Badger my friend, I’m glad we got to see Kershaw throw 132. I’d of been yelling at my TV if anybody other than Jansen threw the 133rd. though. Wow! Kershaw is the man!

34. Rob says:

This is the second time Donnie has made a decision that has won a game. Both decisions involved Kershaw.

You know what I find interesting about those stats, Kershaw leads all of MLB in number of pitches thrown and is 50th in P/PA. He is working much harder than many other starters in the league.

Just food for thought.

That is what we are talking about. Just pitch shutouts. Every game. Now is that asking too much?

37. LOL says:

Sign Jonathan Sanchez as the long reliever. At least he is willing to throw at opposing players when baseball tradition dictates.

38. HemmorhoidRage says:

How much respect did Mattingly lose in the clubhouse when the Greinke incident occur in San Diego? Makes you wonder. Players are young and intense, no retaliation against the Padres could be a bigger issue than most would suspect. Hard to tell if it has affected wins and losses since this team was losing before and continues to lose after. Just a thought. I still think this team lacks any fire or enthusiasm, now why is that? Hint: it started last season

I would like to believe that most players today feel — it is NOT, you hurt me (my team) and We hurt you back.

MLB and Umps are looking for that now.

I would like to believe that players might say or feel — that a player who did that, will pay one way or another. Maybe traded, or if a FA soon, find owners not giving them contracts or big contracts — behavior is behavior.

Dirty play usually finds itself. Hurtful slides into bases or home plate. Pitches thrown at hitters to hurt them . . . All need to be less. I would like to believe that players can be bigger than a hood in a baseball uniform.

I still hope that Greinke recovers from that injury and surgery. You never know how that effect pitching.

40. Quasimodo says:

We’ll see tonight how Greinke does. I don’t feel that paybacks are dirty play. Quentin grew it-he’s got to chew it. The punk thinks he owns the plate, so he’s gonna get hit. Its gonna happen. By who or to who or even when, it’ll happen. Its in the bank. I for one want to see it.

• Quasimodo says:

Karma isn’t mystic, its a man made thing.

Karma is a physical law of the universe… equal and opposite reaction. Newton 3.

Getting hit is often a sign of respect. You back ‘em up so they don’t dive and drive the outside corner pitch. Why Greinke feels he has to do that to Carlos Quentin is the mystery. He’s hit him a few times, maybe it’s personal, I don’t know. But Quentin is not a guy you put on base as he is an out just waiting to happen. I believe that particular pitch just got away from Zack. If it’s me, I don’t retaliate against the Padres. The best revenge is to make sure you beat them, and you don’t do that by putting runners on base. Especially this Dodger team that seems to lose so many 1 run games. Forget that incident and move forward. MLB should have handled it and they chose not to. Fire it up again and it will likely be a Dodger that pays for it.

Dodgers sign Jonathan Sanchez!!!

I’m sure Will Clark and Matt Williams are next

42. HemmorhoidRage says:

So no one has any thoughts of Orel being our new manager, interesting, seems like a real possibility. If you want blue blood in a manager, he’s got to be at the top of the heap. Many broadcasters have come out of the booth to be very good coaches in major league sports. Orel seems to be a very good analyst in the booth, can that translate into a good boss on the field? You never know until you try.

• Bobby says:

I’d love it. I always wanted him or Gibby

Hershiser? I would be fine with it. Is he interested? I know he was considered before here and in Oakland but was passed over. I always wondered why he wasn’t with us as a pitching coach. I would imagine he is doing quite well with his ESPN job. I think Gibson is happy in Arizona. Not sure he would want the zoo atmosphere of Los Angeles.

Not sure if Orel would take it right now. Not many magic rabbits in the hat as we speak. Very think pitching. No hitting clutch situations. Injuries and talent problems up and down the roster.

Unless . . . he is promised by ownership that by the end of July, a few major changes or additions will happen.

Tonight’s game is important to see if he can pitch okay.

44. LOL says:

Can Charlie, special assistant, and Glenn Dishman, turn Scanchez around by the July 1st deadline? Hopefully so.

Over and under on line drives back through the box tonight while Greinke is pitching? 5?

Beckett to the DL? Maybe all of the problems are really Ned, still gambling while signing physically compromised players, and the trainers, innovative but wrong?

45. LOL says:

Nice close game.

American Idol is not close. 3 rounds of at least 10-8 or 10-7 each round. A knock out.

5.5 out and signs of life.

Magill on Saturday against the Braves. I don’t know about that. Those guys can hit the ball very far.

We are now 10th in BA but still way down the list in runs scored at 29th.

Gordon falling off. Sure wish he could bunt somewhere other than right back to the pitcher.

47. LOL says:

Gordon’s annual post home run slump has begun. He is slowly learning how to bunt the ball so that it stops the correct distance from home plate, now if he could just learn how to bunt the ball in the right direction, maybe 3-4 feet from the foul line.

Won a series against a bad team.
    Won a series against a depleted team.
    Time to play a struggling team.
    Baby Steps.

Loney still owns the highest BA in MLB with more than 40ABs. Even flirted with .400 while playing in Colorado earlier this month. 7 three hit games and 5 two hit games after starting very slowly and still batting below .200 on April 16th. And only one error. Nice turnaround during the season. If only the dodgers had Derek Shelton as their hitting instructor. Maybe not, he is a former Yankee. :)

48. HemmorhoidRage says:

I see that Kemp is starting to hit a little lately. Mostly singles, with a double thrown in here and there. With the way he started the season, barely fouling off pitches even, and now with zero HR ability, I think it is time for him to change his T-Shirt to “LEASTMODE”. Sore shoulder or just fundamental change in his approach or mechanics? All I know is he is trying to pull way too many pitches and has gone away from his center to right field swing and it is costing him dearly. Where is McGwire and what is he really doing with Matt and all of our hitters?

I think McGwire may be overrated. He was successful in St. Louis because they have better stock in that organization.

I wonder how much Kemp’s actually weight lifting ability has suffered through this? Hopefully his power returns in the second half. It could happen.

If Dee ever figures out how to bunt, he could easily hit .250 and that would be good enough if he was hitting 8th. I bet he could lead the league in stolen bases if he could hit .250 and get on at .333.

1. [...] Random Thoughts and Other Stuff I want to propose a trade: Don Mattingly for Mike Scioscia.  I think it has only happened one other time in Major League History.  In 1960 Cleveland traded Joe Gordon to the Tigers for Jimmy Dykes.  That’s the only one I could find.  The Dodgers need a fresh start.  The Angels need a fresh start [...]… [...]