One in a row

Clayton’s interview on FOX was awesome.  He’s a great kid.

Off to the Indy 500.

Just win baby!

big-memorial-day-sale (3)

40 Responses to “One in a row”

It started ugly with a rocket that nearly smacked Lilly and an unearned run in the first – but the team battled and pulled it out. I’ll take it too. It was a good win. 49,368 saw that one. Bet there is over 50,000 there today.

Gonzalez. What a great pick-up. Punto and Crawford don’t look bad out there either. Maybe that wasn’t such a bad trade after all? Yeah, expensive, but lots of people drive Jaguars when a Chevy would get them where they are going.

Belasario had some bad luck. His line looks worse than he pitched. He walked one (IBB) broke a bat and had a doink drop in. Everybody else did ok. If only Lilly could pitch to 8th.

With Kershaw on the mound today we have a great shot at taking the series against the best team in baseball.

It would crush Kemp to send him out for a rehab assignment but that is where he should be now. Puig could not possibly do any worse than Matt has been doing. Players have to play their way out of this but he is really hurting the team. I am sure he knows it but his ego won’t allow him to do what’s right.

2. Matt says:

Let’s get a series win today!

I’m excited for todays game with Kersh on the mound. This is a LOOOONG season anything can and probably will happen.

Think Blue.

Flash: watch Ned go after Soriano of the Cubs. Soriano is open to a trade — and Ned likes those older players with big salaries . . . and he can be an impact player if he gets up on the right side of the bed that day.

Plus, a nice pinch hitter. I will not comment on his fielding.

But he has to be better on the roster say, than: Cruz or Uribe or even Van Slyke. But lets pick on Cruz . . .

Soriano would be the perfect Jed choice – a superfluous overpaid veteran outfielder. We need a DH. And can he still play 2b?

The right move for this club is to bring up Puig and give the offense a different look. How long will it take Kemp? 50 at bats in AA might do it.

5. Quasimodo says:

You know he’d never go for that, Badger. Though it is a good suggestion. Kemp felt him being taken out was an insult, but probably today see’s it an indicator he needs to perform better. He used to look up to Loney, but since then his head has outgrown this years ability with the bat. A little more time on the bench might do the trick.

6. Idaho al says:

I agree, the trade with Boston is working out ok. Three of the four are producing. What is Colletti going to do when Josh Beckett comes back from the DL? I firmly believe Colletti cannot put one of them in the bull pen. Scott Ebert is ready to come back. Go with the 5 best starters, trade one, and then bring up someone from the minors if you have an injury. Colletti should have learned from his mistake at the beginning of the year. Don’t bet on it.

I also agree with sending Matt down until he gets it right. It will not happen. He was very upset last night when Mattingly made the double switch. Not a good team player. At least he came back to the dugout later. Mattingly is starting to make decisions that benefits the team and not the individual players. Setting Dre one game and now Kemp is sending a message. I wonder if they still think Mattinly is a player’s manager. I believe things are just starting to turn around. Now Colletti has to start making good decisions about player personnel. I would not bet on that either.

7. Idaho al says:

I have been hard on League as the closer. Last night he looked good. Now he just needs to be a good consistent closer.

Gee, I suggested that Matt go down for Rehab a couple of weeks ago, and some folks laughed . . .

But his most important thing right now — is to get his game back on track, and he is pressing and getting farther behind and looks all out of whack.

If Ned does not, and Donnie continues to start in the lineup everyday, then move him down a bit rather than 3rd or 4th or 2nd or even 5th — go to 7th or 8th to take the pressure.

And as I said the other day — change his approach to the plate.

9. Mark Sweeney says:

Kemp’s problem is between his ears, I’ve had shoulder surgery and with all his therapy and medical assistance, there is not a a healing issue at this point, most likely. Kemp has been a head case and will continue to be a headcase. His head is too big for his hat, he gets that under control and he returns. I would love to hear what McGwire’s experience has been with him. I suspect Kemp won’t listen to any instruction and he knows everything.

At least, Mattingly has decided to actually be a manager and not a buddy to his players, hope it continues.

1 in a row. This team is on fire!!

11. jerry says:

punto go 4 for 4 and donnie sits him today..donnie suck as a manager….he has done this before..it doesnt make since when a guy is hot ..play him..

Sits him also, because he is a switch hitter . . .

Fans and even Kershaw must have felt with that 2-0 early lead — this would be a walk in the park for this game.

Well, the grass just got higher.

Been some talk on Dodger fan boards about Julio Urias, young pitcher the Dodgers signed and is now in the minors.

He was born Aug of 1996 – so he is like in and round 16-17. Left-hander.

He pitched today in A ball for Great Lakes (first time I believe), going 3 innings, 6 Ks, 1 BB, 0 runs, 2 hits.

Here is a video, two years old, of a Julio C. Urias pitching. Probably him, if so would make him about 15-16 . . .

Think Ned will call him up in a week or two???

Maybe, Kemp should have pinch-hit in that situation, with bases loaded, 2 out, bottom of the 7th, loosing 4-3.

I was thinking that in the 6th Roger when Kershaw came up.

But yeah, that would have been a good time too.

15. William says:

If anyone still doubts why Mattingly is an absolutely awful game manager, you just saw why. A bunt with a man on second and no one out is ordinarily a terrible move. You do not waste a precious out to maybe move a man to third. Ellis is hitting .300. He might just get a hit, imagine that. Even if he doesn’t, he could hit a ball to the right side, and get the man to third, anyway. So you absolutely give up the out, and it was actually fortunate that the popped up bunt is not caught on that play.

So what did you get? Metheney is fifty times the manager Mattingly is; he just confidently walks Gonzalez, the one threat in the lineup. I guess Donnie couldn’t anticipate that. Ultimately the Dodgers end up with Ellis and Schmaker outmatched againt the hard-throwing right-handed reliever? So please tell me, what was the advantage of bunting the speedy Crawford over to third by giving up a precious out. Only stupid managers (and the Dodgers have had a few in the last twenty years) bunt in that spot. It’s because they play scared, always hoping for the tie.

16. jerry says:

matt kemp just hit into a double play and he did not look like he was running hard..he got his money ..so i dont have to try .i can retire after my contract is up.

And Kemp kills the rally.

Good question William. I would not have bunted then. If Ellis makes an out they walk Gonzalez anyway but who knows, maybe Ellis gets the hit.

We just MUST do better with RISP.

btw, Corbin wins again. 8-0. Kershaw may not be the best lefthander in his own division

• Reggie says:

Badger,

No wonder you are always getting into fights with people on this board. Corbin is off to a good start, but he has 13 total wins while Clayton has 66, with better stats top-to-bottom. Quit saying stuff that is stupid. Yes, I said stupid!

• Roger Dodger says:

I think Badger is talking about THIS SEASON, UP TO THIS POINT, THE PRESENT — not a career comparison.

Clayton would have one less win, if HE did not hit a HR in that first game.

18. Bball says:

Absolutely no magic. I’m tired of wasting money on this team. Crappy and there making my daughter not enjoy baseball too. That’s what really upsets me

19. Bball says:

Oh and they have the red hot angels for four starting Monday. This could be a long week

20. William says:

The Cardinals have perhaps the best team and organization in baseball. Lots of young talent coming up. A really smart manager. Confident players. A long time ago, the Dodgers looked like that. My honest opinion is that this organization needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, and that absolutely means with a new general manager and manager. Some of the money wasted yearly on Ned Colletti dartboard moves should be redirected to building a management team of smart baseball people. I hate to say it, because I have followed the Dodgers for years, but even starting with the Peter O’Malley days, the Dodgeres have been much more about appearance and public relations than about a hard-nosed approach to actually playing baseball right, and winning.

21. William says:

I cannot resist making one more comment to point out the absolutely vacuous managing style of Don Mattingly. This will not be talked about on the house shows like “Dodgertalk.”

The Dodgers have four hitters hitting .300 or better. Who knows if they will keep that up, but right now they are our only four effective hitters. They are Crawford, M. Ellis, Gonzalez and Punto.

Mattingly does not play Punto today. One down. In the aforementioned seventh innning, down a run, Crawford comes through with a double, his third hit of the game. So what does Mattingly do? He manages to take his other two .300 hitters right out of the game, because he has M. Ellis bunting. Then of course SL walks Gonzalez. So Donnie has maneuvered himself to where he has only subpar hitters up to try to tie or win the game. And believe me, this is not the first time I’ve seen this happen. Mattingly amazingly manages to actually minimize his chances of winning, much like a poker player who throws away his good cards so that he can draw from what’s left in the deck. If management can’t understand baseball well enough to see that Mattingly actually lessens the Dodgers’ chances of winning a given game, we can give up on more than just this season.

22. the truth hurts says:

I agree William. Don has made some head scratching moves during his time here and needs to go yesterday.

23. Jason says:

And the ace loses.
    Wow, to think I almost believed that with Kersh going today they would take the series.

Silly me.

I feel sorry for Vin Scully. I think he might have agreed to stick around for another year doing games — wanting to see the Dodgers win. Now, they are in last place.

So, just which teams are the dogs of baseball. Playing the worst baseball for their fans?

Dodgers
    Cubs
    Brewers
    Miami
    Mets
    Astros
    Seattle
    Twins
    Blue Jays

Yet, look at those Pirates: 31-19 playing at a .620 clip (who would have thought)

“A long time ago, the Dodgers looked like that.” William

That’s right. And it’s also why yesterday I asked the question – “when was the last time you saw anything resembling “the Dodger Way”. Answer? A long time ago.

William’s posts make a lot of sense to me. Not real sure about “the ground up” though. We have a few guys in their early thirties that could be productive for 3-5 more years. Kershaw, Ryu and Greinke will be good for longer than that. Kemp, Ethier, Ramirez and AGon are not that old. We need new blood, and we need to keep filling the roster with it. We need guys that want to make that payday and will do what it takes to get it. Then we pick and choose which ones we want to keep.

As for Donnie’s moves – he is limited. Punto is not an everyday player, though maybe for now he should be. He has done what he has done in a limited role. In 13 years, he has only played 150 games once, and that was a while ago. He has not played in more than 88 in 5 years. That’s his role.

We need 8 150 game a year guys on this club. We just don’t have them.

This game should have been won when we had the bases loaded twice with less than two outs and twice we hit into double plays. We have to take advantage of those situations. Kemp should have doubled in the tying run and winning runs – and he swallowed yet another olive.

I’ll say it again – if Kemp stays in the toilet, we likely won’t win the tightly competitive West. I think he will get better, but if he doesn’t by the deadline, something must be done. We either trade for the bat, or we reboot. There is still time. We played this series with competitive spirit and had a couple of chances to win it.

I remain optimistic.

the brass will be forced to bring up Puig, even for a couple of weeks. He just might give the team a kick it needs.

28. Quasimodo says:

I don’t have all that bad of a look at today’s game. Kershaw wasn’t at his best, though wasn’t bad. Things could of played different and we’d be crediting Mattingly. As it is we get evaluate with the luxury of hindsight. Dodgers played a good game and had some tough breaks. So the credit goes to cardinal management-same hindsight. We’re still missing HanRam. He’ll soon be back, and if he was there today we’d likely of seen a different outcome. Dodgers had life today and lost to a good team. Shit happens.

29. jerry says:

punto has played that manny games..because mybe the manager never gave him a chance..mybe they have managed the same way donnie has..i belive there are player in the big league that never really get a fair shake…

30. Pete M. says:

It was great seeing the boxscore on P Urias for Great Lakes. Sweet sixteen. I was fighting pimples and trying to figure out girls. I beat the pimples finally.
    The ‘Plan’ by Kasten is rolling…80 + international signings and with the emergence of Pederson and Puig change may be sooner than later.
    Fun to watch AGon rake right now. Can’t sneak anything past him…

Sure wish AGon had more help. When HanRam gets back, the middle of that lineup still looks very good to me.

I am sending “healing vibes” out to Matt Kemp. A form of Hoʻoponopono if you will. Maybe, if you believe in the power of noetic science, you can join in the process. (probably not for the more conservative in our audience) Thought has mass. Think positive as a group and who knows.

Tyler Skaggs going in the first one for the dbacks. Saw him in Spring Training last year. Looks like another Patrick Corbin. Tell you what, the dbacks have it going on with their young pitching. I find their prospects considerably better than ours.

31. Pete M. says:

Happy Memorial Day to all…

1. [...] One in a row I’ll take it.  I haven’t given up or given in – I just think a change is needed.  The sooner they make it, the quicker to a win streak, but I hope we add another one today. Clayton’s interview on FOX was awesome.  He’s a great kid. Off to the Indy 500. Just win baby!… [...]