I Remain Unconvinced

Mark McGwire is unconvinced too.  The hitting of this team absolutely sucks.  It can change, but will it?

A couple of moths ago I said I would not be surprised if this team won 80 games… or 100 games (the lineup will have to change for that to happen).  I stand by that!

This team is a conundrum!!!

• Will Carl Crawfords health allow him to play more than 110 games?
  • Is Mark Ellis too old?
  • Will Matt Kemp regain his stroke?
  • Will Andre Ethier play up to his contract or down to his past?
  • Can Hanley Ramirez regain his MVP stroke?
  • Can he play SS?
  • Who’s on third?
  • Why is Luis Cruz on the roster?
  • Will Puig fly?
  • Will Adrian Gonzalez regain his power?
  • Will Dee Gordon become a competent 2B?
  • Should we stick a fork in Josh Beckett?
  • Will the Dodgers make a team-changing trade?

80 games won’t shock me… neither will 100.

This is going to be one hell of a ride or one hell of a disappointment!

Mothers-Day-Sale

43 Responses to “I Remain Unconvinced”

When you say that “Mark McGwire is unconvinced too”, are you referring to the article below? If so, I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion. If not, then maybe you read something I didn’t.

All of your questions are legitimate. And it’s fair to say that the Dodgers could win 80 or win 100. But if enough effort is put into it, we could probably say the same about the Giants, D-Backs and Rockies. Right now the Dodgers aren’t particularly healthy, and some players are not producing like we expect.

I do expect Matt Kemp to regain his stroke, I expect Ethier to hit better, and if he’s healthy, Hanley is a huge improvement over Cruz/Sellers. A trade is a definite possibility, but those things don’t just happen. I’m sure the Dodgers are in all sorts of discussions, and that between now and the trading deadline (the sooner the better) something will get done. These are not the McCourt Dodgers, so you can be certain that they’re in on everything. Greinke will hopefully return healthy, and Magill looks promising (but one start does not a career make).

If Dee Gordon can master 2nd, that could be huge. Mark Ellis is having a nice year, but age and past performance tell us that he will not continue at the current pace. A platoon with Gordon at 2nd could actually work. Gordon gets eased back into the lineup, and Ellis gets enough rest to keep his old bones producing. Plus, when he’s not playing, Gordon becomes a late inning weapon off the bench, if only as a pinch runner.

Sooner or later I think Cruz will be gone. Maybe the Dodgers are trying to work a deal with him, and it’s taking time. Whatever the case, unless there’s a miracle, I don’t see him being around very much longer.

And there is still some promising talent down on the farm. Maybe one or more of them will ultimately make an impact.

2. Watford Dodger says:

I think the reason most of us wanted to see Puig straight in the team or at worst off the bench is that he had the X / feel good factor coming off Spring Traing.
    We as fans and I think the players could have ridden off the back of him. That moment has been lost. It seems to me that we have players that are doing well – Crawford/ M. Ellis/ Punto/ Gonzo/ Kershaw/ Ryu/ Jansen/ Hanley? but the trouble is none of them are doing it in the same game! It’s one good day from one player at a time.
    The rest of em are stinking the place out. If we can get more players into form then we should get 3/4/5 playing well together. Confidence would then return and we may score some runs.
    Same goes for the Bullpen which collectively lost confidence – probably needs a freshen up – this is when a good Skipper earns his money…..

80 would be shocking. Not gonna happen.

100 would also be shocking. That won’t happen either.

The team will be closer to 100 than to 80. That was my prediction early, and I am sticking to it. The West is pretty damn good. But I still see 90+ wins.

Gonzalez is about to turn 31. He peaked in HR at age 27. Most of the stats say power diminishes after 31.

I don’t think we are going to see 30+ HR from him anymore. Not in LA. He might could do it somewhere else, but what he can do here is hit .300 with an .850 OPS. Right now he is a 148 OPS+. Can he maintain that? Doubt it. But, I will take 20 HR, 100 ribbies and 80+ runs scored and a 4+ WAR. Adrian Gonzalez is not going to be a problem this year, or next. He should hit until he is 33.

Mark Ellis will do what Mark Ellis always does, but not much longer.

Yeah, who’s on third.

Gordon at second made sense a couple months ago, and it still does to me.

Who knows about Beckett. If he gives us 30 starts of 4.5 I would be ok with it. Eat up more innings Josh.

Will Ramirez regain an MVP stroke. No. But he doesn’t need to.

What this team needs is for EVERYBODY to do what they usually do. It would be great if someone like Kemp had a career year, but, it doesn’t have to happen for this team to be successful. What it is going to take is all 40 guys pulling on the same end of the rope.

4. KEN says:

I remain Unconvinced that the LAD bullpen has the right people. ERA 27th in MLB.
    Kevin Gregg, 6 games, 4 Saves, zero runs, for the Cubs.

I remain Unconvinced that Lambo, still not on Pirate 40 man roster, will ever amount to anything.

I remain unconvinced that Gordon will ever be a MLB SS, although he might make it as a 2B or utility guy.

Kevin Gregg? What does he have to do with anything? I wouldn’t trade any of our guys for him. OK, maybe Josh Wall.

I am still confident.

Last year, on May 2, we could’ve said “depending on if things fall apart or go well, this team will win between 70-87 games”.

This May 2, with SOOOO much more talent, I agree with Mark: we can win between 80 (if things go terribly wrong) and 100 (if we put it together).

That means, if somethings go right, and some go wrong, we should win about 90. Now give or take a few things, and add a key piece in July (Halladay? Lee?) maybe we get to 95+.

Now let’s go to SF and beat this organization who i despise more than any in sports (tied with the Celtics, of course)

7. Bball says:

No Crawford or Ellis again. Hmmm

8. Rob says:

With the exception of Kershaw staying in and homering can anyone tell me a decision Donnie has made that helped us win a game? I can think of many he has made to lose games.

9. HemmorhoidRage says:

You got me on that one, Rob.

10. Rob says:

Knowing the pulse of your team is vital Rage. Donnie doesn’t know his players or how to manage the pen. If we had a salty manager who everyone respected as a manager and not a former player maybe we might win something.

11. Quasimodo says:

And now A-Gon is scratched as well. Goddammit!

12. Rob says:

We are officially cursed!!!

I TRIED TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE BIG DODGER IN THE SKY!

HE\’S PISSED!

• Dave says:

Ya he’s pissed allright , and if he allows a 500 season at this point, that sounds pretty damn good !

14. Bball says:

Ya and tonight we will score 10. You just never no

15. Rob says:

We will be 0 for forever with runners on.

16. Rob says:

Letting Zito off the hook big time! Can we play a little bit of small ball and maybe move the runners over!!!

17. HemmorhoidRage says:

that ain’t Tball’s style

18. Anonymous says:

At least we have the Ted Willy news to be happy about

19. Rob says:

Finally bunting a runner over got us a run!

It’s very clear to me why Matt Kemp isn’t hitting. He’s trying to pull the ball, and when he does, with few exceptions, he invariably hits ground balls to the left side. Hitting to center and right center is the solution for him. I can’t believe he doesn’t know it, McGwire doesn’t know it, Mattingly doesn’t know it, etc., etc., etc. I guess it’s just easier said than done.

21. KEN says:

120 pitch limit tonight for Kershaw.

Do we practice stretching before games? Seems like we pull a lot of muscles

I should let Sue Falsone borrow my p90x hour long stretch routine. It helps!

23. Rob says:

CURSED!!

24. Bball says:

I can’t believe this. I really can’t. How do u fire Donnie when there is only 3 regulars on the field.

25. Bball says:

And the three regulars are not playing how there capable. Well maybe Ellis. But geez this team is scary. Really scary

I would have put Posey on. But I’m wondering, does Kemp’s throw serve as the catalyst to get him out of his slump?

As for Hanley, he had no business going to third on that play. Could have hurt his thumb on that slide. But maybe Mark is right. What else could it be? Has to be the BIG DODGER IN THE SKY.

27. KEN says:

Dodgers have 9 IF on the 25 man roster and Gumby is the only IF on the 40 man roster not on the 25 man roster. Will he be called up tomorrow? ALBA’s game is over and has been for probably an hour and a half.

Time to move the injured to the 60 day DL.

28. Bball says:

Please call dee up. Please

29. Bball says:

Watch Carl pull something too cause Donnie is desperate.

30. KEN says:

LAD is not going to make it with 11 pitchers. 7 pitchers on the DL and only 3 left on the 40 man roster, Ames (1.13) Wall (LOL) and Withrow (0.00). I hope Withrow is called up.

It may very well be that the Big Dodger in the Sky hates us.

But it’s times like this where one of the Big Dodger in the Sky’s greatest creations helps: alcohol.

32. KEN says:

I remain convinced that Donnie T-Ball is not the person for this team. Time to fire a couple of coaches and DFA some players. The buck stops nowhere on this team. Patience is over, Man up time is now.

3-14 RISP and 29 LOB. Another game of CHOKING.

33. Bball says:

Boy it’s one to one and were all complaining like its ten to nothing. I guess it just feels like this team can’t catch a break

34. Bball says:

Time for kemp to get his head out of Rihanna’s vajay. Man up kemp. Man the f up

35. Rob says:

Sellers batting behind kemp is scary

36. Quasimodo says:

It wasn’t really all that bad of a game. While it could of had a better ending for us I’ll claim that if the DL hadn’t bitten Dodgers so hard we’d of surely won, We’re 3.5 games back and hopefully this team has seen the end of the DL toll. Last year we were way ahead in all of baseball even after suffering a losing streak. There’s no rightful reason to blame Mattingly with tonight’s loss. It almost worked with what he had to work with.

37. Rob says:

Quas when we lose it’s always bad. Injuries will save Donnie’s job because of the built in excuse.

Wow.

Who could have predicted so many injuries to so many key players? This team just might be cursed.

I have watched this midget team come back 4 games in a row now. There is just no quit in them. Of course, when you’re playing a team that can only score 1 run, it it’s that large a comeback.

I have no idea where the spark for this will come from. If we are expecting Dee Gordon to do it, well, that once again is putting a lot of pressure on him. The pitchers need to shut every team out to have a shot. The rest of the sports world is probably laughing their asses off. The Lakers AND the Dodgers, hobbling off like crippled old men into the sunset. Crippled, incredibly rich, old men.

It’s early.

It could get worse.

I just read… collision with an umpire? Are you freakin’ kidding me?

As a former ump, I can tell you, that should NEVER happen. I know, freak incident, but umps are trained to get the ef out of the way. Can someone explain to me how that happened?

May, today’s umpires. Worst ever.

Ramirez back too early? Ramirez not running enough during his down time? or just another “freak” accident?

40. Anonymous says:

Who’ll be the next in line?
    We’re one Kemp injury from raising the white flag.
    Will Don go down with the “Titanic” clusterf*&^, or will we set him adrift before she goes down?