Don’t Eat Fish: Dodgers Choke on Marlin

There’s not much to say about this bunch – they have the 2nd best OB% in the NL and are almost last in runs scored and last in hitting with RISP.  That’s all you need to know.  No matter how you spin it, this team is a bunch of choke artists.  There is no fix for this team until they collectively quit choking in the clutch.  There is no fix unless that happens.  It’s a malaise that is entombing this organization.

• Amezaga is hitting .391 at AAA – Schumaker is hitting below his weight.  It might be worth a try.  Option Cruz.
  • Is Ramon Hernandez taking up a roster spot so that Ned can claim he didn’t GIVE AWAY Aaron Harang?  Get him off the squad!
  • Ronald Belisario has a good year every other season.  He was good last year – now he reverts back to crap.  Look at the bright side: he’ll be good next year.
  • James Loney is leading the AL in hitting!  That speaks volumes to me about the Dodgers problems.  It seems to me that they have all the wrong people in coaching capacities.  I believe it is a systemic problem.
  • Remember when Jerry Sands was supposed to be the Second Coming and I didn’t have him in my TOP 10?  These other geniuses at many other sites had him at the top.  He’s now Mr. Irrelevant at .136 in AAA.   What a fall.
  • Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times follows the players on last years team.
  • Greinke will likely make his next start.  Not a shabby recovery!
  • Good day!

Earth-Covered-70

49 Responses to “Don’t Eat Fish: Dodgers Choke on Marlin”

“There is no fix for this team until they collectively quit choking in the clutch.”

That IS the fix. Well, that and better pitching.

I don’t believe James Loney will continue hitting like he has been. Do you? Really? Our problem has NOTHING to do with the fact we let him go.

Last year’s Dodgers?

8 in a row. 7 games out. It could be worse.

2. Idaho al says:

Clutch hitting is horrible. Relief pitching is not good. Starting pitching is so-so. What else do we want to know about the Dodgers.

I switched over last night to watch the Mariners. At least they have a pulse.

It’s in their heads. We could really use a good psychiatrist or two. Seriously

0 for May. 5 of the losses by 1 run.

Are we close?

Over 41,000 at the game. We still lead the MLB in attendance. The fans will be patient for only so long. We sold 31,000 season tickets so that will be the minimum attendance reported every night.

Kemp with two more K’s and a .349 slg.%. Ethier continues to drop. Uribe gets picked off out of scoring position. Belasario has a bad outing. This really is a team effort.

I wonder what the plan is? Anybody hear any substantiated rumors?

Sports psychologist. Good idea Michael.

Happy Mother’s Day to all you mother farquers out there. What? Farquer. It’s a Northwest African word used by tribesmen meaning lover. I read that somewhere when I was in Morocco. Or maybe I made it up. I sometimes don’t know the difference. PTSD. Anyway, don’t forget your mom’s or our kid’s mom today.

or better yet….. don’t forget your mothers tomorrow.

I need more sleep.

With the number of hard throwing pitchers who are falling off the charts, (Haren, Oswalt, Halladay, Peavy, Garza, Santana, Carpenter, Danks, Billingsley… the list goes on) NOW is the time to lock up Kershaw for 6 years with an option. That gets him to 31-32 and who knows if he will even last that long.

7. Bobbie17 says:

No one has talked about Paco. He’s maybe the second best pitcher we have. 2 innings last night. 12 pitches. Bellasario stinks. He should be sent to the mop up role only. Never put him in a position that is important, and it seems it is always important when he comes in. Our Yankee manager should have pulled him long ago. How about using some of these minor league starters as relievers to see what they can do? So you don’t play millions of $? Can it get worse? Probably.

“James Loney is leading the AL in hitting! That speaks volumes to me about the Dodgers problems. It seems to me that they have all the wrong people in coaching capacities. I believe it is a systemic problem.”

Loney got off to a great start with the Dodgers 2 or 3 years ago, and then tanked in the 2nd half. Maybe he’s finally figured it out, or maybe he’ll reprise that year. Besides, our first baseman is having a good year, so Loney’s absence isn’t missed. Our current hitting coach has never worked with Loney, but by all accounts he did a nice job with the Cardinals. Must be something in the air in LA. Oh, and the Red Sox hitting coach must not be much, because Loney didn’t hit well in Boston last year.

I’ll go along with Badger. “8 in a row. 7 games out. It could be worse.” I don’t know if it will get better, but I also will not join in with a knee jerk reaction. Too many of those around here. Guggenheim inherited a pretty bad situation, including a farm system depleted by lack of investment. But there have been comprehensive changes in the scouting and development system that will play out over time. And perhaps there are more changes being contemplated, even at the big league level. For the most part I have confidence in the people running this organization, and expect that they will be level headed in their approach, which is the correct way to do things, even if it doesn’t please less patient fans. Unfortunately those things will take time to play out. I don’t think Matt Kemp forgot how to hit, but he may have gotten into some bad habits playing hurt last year, or perhaps his shoulder isn’t all the way back yet. Ethier isn’t a great hitter, but neither is he this bad.

With 128 games to go I’m not about panic. Teams have come back from a lot worse. The Dodgers, like I said about Ethier, are simply not this bad.

The Guggs did what they considered the right thing. They made moves, and people bought tickets. So far, the moves haven’t been that bad…. jury still out, but the guys from Boston are actually playing well. OK, maybe Beckett could be better, but the players behind the schneid weren’t received in that deal Mark hates so much. Ramirez played fine when he was in there, and we have no idea how good Greinke might be.

I’ll say it again, when Kemp, Ramirez and Ethier are all playing like the 3-5 WAR guys they are paid to be, we can all re-evaluate. In the mean time, if it’s blame game you guys want (not you Brooklyn) then place the blame where it belongs.

10. Bball says:

Tonight is the night. The night the season changes

11. 1000OaksDave says:

I was born in 1965. A special year for Dodger fans as both my father and mother love to remind me. I had a wonderful talk with with mom about it today, but I’ll save the you all from details that just aren’t necessary for ya’ ll to consider. I just love my mom and dad so much, that I had to make mention of both on what is the beginning of the best holiday season for me.

Remember going to the batting cages for those of us not too old to have experienced them? You younger guys I’m sure have hit off machines. I remember a place in La Cresenta, Ca that my dad used to take me to. There were different batting cages named by different former big league pitchers. I seem to recall Koufax, Spahn, Alexander and maybe Johnson. There wer one or two others. The point is, with today’s technology and Dodger management ready to spend, don’t you all think that some cages could be added to Dodger stadium programmed for what our hitters need to work on? Maybe they are there and I just haven’t heard about it.

In the meantime as I type this, Dee Gordon hits one out! Go Dodgers!!

12. Idaho al says:

I saw something this evening I have not seen the Dodgers do in a while. Either doubled and he was sacrificed to third and then scored on a single. Gordon hit a home run in the third. They look like they have life this evening. Maybe this is the day we have been waiting for.

13. Rob says:

A chance to blow this game wide open and bad base running keeps that from happening. Can’t we just have one game without mistakes!

14. HemmorhoidRage says:

Idaho, I was amazed at the same thing, Donnie Tball playing small ball, did someone kick him in the ass and remind him about that aspect of the game.

I see Tommy gave his endorsement of Donnie, KISS O DEATH, adios Donnie, that clinched it. You have to have a 90 year old man defending you, it’s over man. Pack your bags but leave your wife here, damn you seen her rack? Oops my good.

What do you know, Crash Gordon has brought something to LA, now can he maintain once they have seen him a few games up at this level? So far so good however, I’ll take it.

I hate to say it, but they better make Uribe the permanent 3B if they aren’t going to go and get someone. Cruz has to go.

OMG it feels good; now if we could just get Matt back

16. Rob says:

FINALLY!!!!!!

When it works, it looks good. 5 for 11 WRISP. Bullpen no hits no runs. 42,200 in attendance.

It was the Fish, but it could be a start.

18. HemmorhoidRage says:

I am totally stoked at how the Dodgers manhandled the best team in baseball and this year’s Cy Young winner. We should be nothing but proud. Adios Donnie Tbag, don’t let the batting cage door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Now there are only 5 teams in MLB playing below the Dodgers .400 baseball.

The Cubs, Miami, Houston, the Angels, and Toronto.

Probably only 2 of them think if their team could only get well, and players play like they were hired to play, they could make the post season . . . and those are the Angels and Toronto.

So, along with the Dodgers === these 3 teams and their fans tune in, watch, go to, read about — their teams, waiting for the better baseball for the next 125 games or so.

That is a lot of game. A lot can happen.

Toronto is in that tough AL East division and it is tough to move up. They are 9.5 games back now (8.5 from the wild card slot).

The Angels are 9.0 games back (7.5 in the wild card slot).

The Dodgers are 7.0 games back (6.0 in the wild card slot).

It is not the number of games, it is the math of the winning percentage.

More . . .

Last season, the wild card slots saw the following number of wins = 88, 94, 93, 93 — and the average then was 92 wins.

For the Dodgers to get 92 wins this season, they would have to play 78 – 49 the rest of the way.

Is that possible?? And fans say, IF we can get our pitching straightened out. IF Ethier can play like he did last night going 4 for 4. IF Crawford, and Gonzales, and Ellis, and whoever is playing 3B, and IF Hanley can come back, and whoever is playing 2b, and IF Kemp can find his stroke, and all of our starters, and finally the pen can get on track +++ any trades the owners can make — just maybe our Dodgers will make the 78 & 49 mark.

So chalk it up — it starts today — and rests with Chris Capuano.

Go Dodgers.

Capuano is good enough to beat the Marlins if the Dodgers hit. If the Dodgers hit, they can beat anyone.

Just get a winning streak going and the math will take care of itself. All teams will go through streaks, hopefully our bad streak will soon be behind us.

I hope last night is the beginning of something good, but really, you don’t know those things until the season plays out and you can look back and say it began here. It’s a win, and that’s good. Is it a harbinger of things to come? Only time will tell. I try not to get too excited when the Dodgers win, and not too depressed when they lose. It’s still a long season, and I truly believe that you are never as good as you look when things are going well, and never as bad as you look when things are going badly.

Roger, 78-49 is very doable. Works out to .614. Even 85-42 is conceivable if they get hot. That’s .669, which has been done over an entire season, although not too often.

If Gordon continues to play well, then the Dodgers do have their third baseman, and it ain’t Uribe. It’s Hanley when he gets back. Uribe looking good for a few days doesn’t change my opinion of him. Maybe he’s changing his approach and going up the middle and to right field more often, and maybe he can hold down a utility role. But if the Dodgers let him go tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear. And Cruz definitely must go.

As a long time Dodger fan, and follower of baseball in general — there have been ups and downs of many teams.

I was thinking back the other day . . . in graduate school, in Chicago in the winter of 1966 (moving to 1967), I was with another student who was a Yankee fan. While driving in his car, he asked “Did the Yankees really finish in last place this past season?”

I nodded and said, “Yes.” He just shook his head.

The Yankees were 70-89 that season, .440. 26.5 games behind Baltimore.

The year prior, 1965, they were in 6th place at 77-85, .475.

And the year prior, 1964, they won with 99-63, .611.

My point is, my friend was in shock that his Yankees had done so poorly for two straight seasons and had finished last. He was numb.

Note: even the next season, 1967, they finished in 9th place at 72-90, .444.

For fun, I just looked up the Yankee players that 1966 season when they finished in last place:

Elston howard, Joe Pepitone, Bobby Richardon, Horace Clarke, Clete Boyer, Roy White, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris. On the bench: Tom Tresh, Bobby Murcer . . .

Pitchers: Mel Stotrtlemyre, Al Downing, Fritz Peterson, Fred Talbot, Jim Bouton, Steve Hamilton, Whitey Ford, Bob Friend . . .

Manager: Johnny Keane was 4-16, then fired and Ralph Houk took over and was 66-73.

Over the years, the Pirates were terrible, then won big, now have been terrible, but are coming back again . . .

Same for Kansas City, the Twins . . . Cleveland and others, except for the Cubs who got close one or two times but no cigar.

24. SpokaneBob says:

So far Dee looks like he’s our shortstop. He looked good in the field last night and I hope he continues to hit the ball. I really feel that the team is more exciting and the offense can be much more potent with a productive Dee and Hanley in the line up.

I am glad they called up Fedex, play him twice a week and give AJ plenty of rest.

25. emerson-Lake says:

Just read this scary quote by Gonzales on Mike Scioscia’s Illness.

“That’s the one thing where it doesn’t really bother me,” Gonzalez said of hitting. “Just throwing, running for fly balls — running with my head up really hurts, especially going back on a ball.

“Even running forward with my head up, it hurts. Those fly balls, it’s hard for me to go hard or go comfortably after them because the whole time I’m in pain.”

Has he had MRI’s, X-rays, etc? All the more reason to root for Van Slyke to go on a tear.

26. KEN says:

Dodgers still on the short list, only better than the Marlins and the Cubs. Still in last place in the West. Still better than the Angels.

2-8 in the last 10 games. When you have lost 8 out of ten you must have 2 wins! A win last night means the dodgers will not be swept by the Marlins. Now maybe they can actually win a series, even at home against one of the worst teams in MLB.

Loney is better than all dodgers with at least 20 ABs in 2Bs, OPS, SLG, AVE, and only Punto is better in OBP. Something is really really wrong. More than 30 games into the season which creates the minimum sample size of 30 used in simple statistics.

I think that I will have to stop listening to Vin Scully because he has become so Negative. He keeps providing stats that show negatively on the dodger players. This just can not continue. He should only share those stats that reflect positively upon the players. I can’t believe how negative he has become this year. On the other hand his stats and stories are ACCURATE, although his names and pitch selection and location have become highly suspect.

I do not understand the dodger radio commercials. Whenever an ad contains one of the dodger announcer’s historical announcements of a homerun the ad always has deleted the name of the dodger player whom you would think, hit the homerun. I am starting to wonder, with this embarrassing offense, whether the dodger radio ads actually contain the historical announcements of the opposition’s home runs.

Maybe Mark was right about Uribe. He is 3rd on the LAD team on OBP. Something is wrong here.

Gordon is 4th on the LAD in SLG. Something is wrong here.

I think I’d start SVS 3-4times a week. Give A-Gone, Ethier, Crawford, and even our LVP a day off once a week.

I also hope the Los Angeles Ducks of Anaheim win tonight, so our city can see a freeway series in hockey next round!

Ned is a master of bringing up players from the minors. Here he brings up Scott just in time to show us . . .

“I think that every day for the rest of my life I will probably laugh at people who are self profession atheists, and maybe even LOLROF once a week, but who worship and venerate a baseball team and their players to the extent that if you criticize either the team or any of the players a response similar to a Moslem responding to a verbal assault upon Mohammed’s name occurs and you are then in the middle of a Jihad with an Islamic Terrorist. In fact I think that I will call all Islamic Terrorist a Badger from now on.” Ken

You need to change your meds.

I was going to mention Uribe’s .403 OBP (before today’s game) after my earlier post, and suggest that perhaps he wouldn’t be a terrible off the bench guy. I actually clicked “submit comment”, and then had to watch that miserable Windows circle go round and round, until I finally gave up. Guess there were some problems on this website earlier. Seems that Uribe has not only started hitting the ball up the middle and to the right side, but he’s also become more patient than he’s ever been. Is this the new Uribe (maybe Mark McGwire got to him), or is the old one hiding somewhere in the shadows, about to re-surface? In any case, I don’t see him as our regular third baseman, and I still wouldn’t get upset if he was released.

Again, Hanley at 3B and Gordon at short. If Gordon doesn’t cut it at short, then maybe Uribe goes back to 3B and Hanley moves over to short. Or the Dodgers find another solution elsewhere, such as an acquisition/trade.

Shouldn’t that be “self-professed”, not “self profession”? Actually, I’d probably be terrified if I came face to face with a real badger.

Didn’t watch most of today’s game, but I’m sure SVS’s two hits (including HR) will get some people excited. Not me. Hope he proves me wrong, but I still have serious doubts about him. I suspect that a steady diet of breaking balls (especially from righthanded pitchers) will prove to be his Achilles heel.

31. HemmorhoidRage says:

You need to change your meds. = Badger

REally that’s all you got? How about “I know you are but what am I”.

Okay, Ken was very weak and maybe didn’t deserve a better response. I seem to be the only one that really can get under your skin Badger, lol.

Not really roid. You’re too obvious. You try too hard. There’s a disconnect with Ken. To say what he did tells me has no f’n idea what he is talking about. He’s just rambling on saying stupid stuff. Your crap doesn’t bother me anymore. You can give it up.

33. HemmorhoidRage says:

I know you are but what am I.

I’m not buying it, you just know you’ve met your match.

34. Broxton's Bunny Soul says:

I think it’s quite interesting that when the Dodgers lose, Mark will post blogs almost every day bashing the team…. but when the team wins… no new blogs. I have absolutely zero doubts that Mark wants this team to win and is thrilled when they do…

Another truth, that a lot of us don’t like to admit…. when the team is going well, traffic on here and other blogs is probably less than when they are losing.

Because the truth is…. while we all love it when our team wins…. we love it even more when we can claim to be experts that can fix what is wrong when they lose.

Dodgers have won the last two games… let’s get a new blog up here. It may be only against the Marlins… but all the games count.

You would like it to be about you roid. It isn’t.

Interesting theories bunny. Other than roid wanting to go after me, again, and Ken’s ramblings, there isn’t much posted about yesterday afternoon’s win. Just Brooklyn and his steady assessments.

One has to wonder.

BBS — just remember, some of us are old enough to remember when the Dodgers had really really good teams.

Some of us remember several times, the Dodgers had really good teams.

Back in the late 1940s to the mid-1950s, one of the best teams in baseball with several becoming Hall of Fame members.

Then in the 1960s and in the 1970s and early 1980s — the the surprise win in 1988.

But since that 1988 World Series win — nothing much.

Some of you who came along after the 1988 win — and starting following the Dodgers — you do not know, just how this crap feels — so when we see the Dodgers fooling around, not competing like we know the organization can — we might criticize — but that is to get it back on track. And believe me, we are not even close.

And we old-timers know that a roster that includes: Cruz, Punto, Schumaker, Uribe, Hernandez, League, Guerrier, Capuano, Beckett, Magrill, Howell, Guerra, etc. is not going to turn it into the 1955 Dodgers – anytime soon.

Mark, Badger and others here — we know the glory, and see and feel the pain since 1988. We know the ownership changes and some of the mistakes they made.

And this season was to be the big turn in the right direction — and then injuries and questionable managing and coaching does not help.

And now, in the month of May — the Dodgers are 2 – 8. WE want more . . . and see the Nationals, Braves, Brewers and Cardinals for the next 12 games and they would not let the team rest to any easy win.

Whether I post or not is generally determined how busy I am, not whether the Dodgers win or lose.

It is good to see 2 in a row against anyone. Gordon and Van Slyke both have looked good.

Roger, could it be the lack of success of this team is directly related to the scum factor of ownership? O’Malley felt he could not compete with other franchises financially (he was dead wrong about that) so enter Fox and the douche bags that run that outfit. Then they sell to the cockroach McSh*t-for-brains. Now that pond scum becomes a billionaire after declaring bankruptcy (only in America) and we get the Gags. The saving grace here is Kasten.

What’s the answer? The guys doing last nights broadcast addressed this issue with the Angels. They said you buy all this incredible talent and stop playing baseball. You just sit back and watch. The point being, when guys do get on base start aggressively moving them. Also, And, I don’t care if you do make $60,000 a day, you are going to work these defensive drills until you get it right, I don’t care if we have to turn on the lights – we will stay here all night if we have to.

It’s my opinion many of these guys, after signing that big contract, tend to relax. It just doesn’t mean as much. That got it made now.

Agree. And maybe the same with winning . . . fans see the win, and are glad, smile and move into the other things in their lives.

Loose, and keep loosing — and we want to help show the weakness and help get the team straighten out.

My smart phone ain’t so smart. Can’t correct And Also and doesn’t know I meant they not that.

Good point Roger. When things are going well, what can we offer? “Hey, isn’t our team great?!” “Yeah it is. How do we make it greater?”

Well we took 2 of 3 from a crappy team. Can we take 2 of 3 from a great team?

Chance we have Kersh/Greinke going in games 2 and 3 of this series as well.

Matt Kemp 1000 hits now. Wow, congrats!! Now can you get to 2 hr??

42. Quasimodo says:

I can’t claim I’m real busy, but I do have other issues. I’ll be back home this afternoon and will then have something to offer. For now I’m just hoping the last two games amount as a rally against the Nats.

Thanks Badger for the compliment. Your assessments are pretty steady also. I actually don’t think I’ve posted all that much myself, and, in fact, have missed all or parts of games. Like Mark, I’m busy.

Posting when things are going bad makes perfect sense. I’m sure we’ve all heard that people aren’t happy unless they have something to complain about. So, what better way to vent your frustrations than to come on here and let it out?

But if the Dodgers suddenly get really hot, then I would expect to see increased traffic due to the giddiness factor.

Not that many comments here for a post from Friday.

Not a whole lot new in Dodger news either.

Matt Kemp breaks his bat on a doink to center for his 1,000 career hit. Considering he is only 17 points below his career batting average but 167 points below his career OPS average I think a broken bat on that hit is perfect.

44. HemmorhoidRage says:

Here’s the deal Badger, you are a narcissist and you can’t handle any criticism, your ego won’t allow it. That’s really why confrontation and condescension bothers so much, it’s a classic sign of a narcissist, you fit the bill to a T. So you rewrite and warp what someone confronts you with, you have to make it fit your narrative or the messenger has to be trashed and discredited. So again, no I’m not making it about me, I’m actually making it about you, which you can’t handle. Like I have said many times, you must be an absolute joy to live with and thus I can only imagine how many failed relationships litter your past. So it really is all about you, old boy! Enjoy your lemons, suck away.

The anal fistula strikes again …..

Why do you continue this? Is it simply because you know I have forgotten more about the Dodgers than you ever knew? You don’t talk baseball anymore, you’re only trick is to come after me. You are indeed a raging hemorrhoid.

I find it odd you are so obsessed with me. Maybe I should be flattered that you spend so much time and effort attacking me, but honestly I don’t give a damn. I don’t need your approval.

I suggest you find another hobby. This preoccupation with me just makes you look silly and it brings down the IQ of this board.

45. jerry says:

i was watching a old tv show ..call the riffleman ..and DON DRYSDALE was on there a the bad guy..i could nt believe it..

46. Pete M. says:

Just like Charley Pride, Chuck Connors would have given up his TV fame to play in the bigs…

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]