Categorized | Press Releases

Capuano to make second start of the season tonight vs. Arizona

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today placed infielder Mark Ellis on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to April 27) with a strained right quad and reinstated left-handed pitcher Chris Capuano from the disabled list. Capuano has been on the DL since April 17 with a left calf strain and made a rehab start on Wednesday for Triple-A Albuquerque against Memphis, allowing two runs on seven hits with three strikeouts in 5.1 innings. Prior to his injury, Capuano made three appearances (one start), going 0-1 with a 9.64 ERA.

Ellis had hit safely in his last six games prior to his injury and is batting .342 with two home runs and 11 RBI in 20 games this season, including a .545 (6-for-11) mark with runners in scoring position.

Mothers-Day-Sale

26 Responses to “DODGERS PLACE INFIELDER MARK ELLIS ON THE DISABLED LIST; REINSTATE CHRIS CAPUANO FROM THE DL”

1. emerson-Lake says:

At last our long national nightmare of indecision is over, and Ellis is disabled. Now how long will it take to decide to bring him back? In the meanwhile, we sure could have used that window to play Van Slyke while Adrien was out with the neck. Were those the three games he would have used to get established in the majors? We’ll never know now, will we?

2. Rob says:

We need the first half Cappy badly from last year!! Mismanagement allowing our bench to be so pathetic over the past week. I think everyone but the dodgers staff knew Ellis would end up on the DL.

SVS had 27 games to get established in the majors. In admittedly ONLY 54 ABs he hit .167, after hitting .327 in the rarefied air of ALBQ and the PCL. He’ll be 27 in July, and really hasn’t been much for most of his professional career. From what I saw, he’s a hitter who will wilt when fed a steady diet of big league breaking balls. He might hit an occasional HR, but not enough to justify a spot on the roster (25 or 40). For me, thinking about calling up SVS, or any other player of his ilk, is a sign of desperation.

The key to the Dodgers doesn’t lie in any call-ups. It lies in Kemp and Ethier beginning to hit, and hit consistently, and with runners on. It lies in the return of Hanley, and in getting consistently good play from Dee Gordon. AGon and Crawford have to remain healthy and to continue to produce. A healthy Mark Ellis would help, as would the return of Greinke. Perhaps a player move or two or three, be it trades or a call-ups, or a combination of both. Cruz, Sellers and Uribe probably all need to be replaced (I’m not going to get sucked into any talk of a Uribe revival because he’s had a few hits recently). Maybe the bullpen could use some help, but I also think that a revived offense would take a lot of pressure off the pen.

And finally, let me end by saying again, it’s early, and lots can happen in the next, nearly 5 months. Sorry B17, BUT IT IS EARLY. And if you don’t think so, you know precious little about baseball. There is no guarantee that the Dodgers will turn this thing around, but baseball history has shown us on numerous occasions that sudden changes of fortune (both good and bad) are not rare occurrences.

I’ve said these things before, so why not again.

1. It’s darkest before the dawn.

2. You’re never as good as you look when you’re at your best, and never as bad as you look when you’re at your worst.

I remain hopeful, but fully cognizant that this could just be one of those years.

Brooklyn, why start SVS everyday at AAA if there is no intent to use him?

I agree that fate of the Dodgers offense lies with the middle of the order. They don’t hit, we don’t win. I think all of them will eventually get the job done.

Why?

1. Well, there might become that new bend in the road, where the Dodgers will bring him up.

2. Maybe, he just might figure it out, and hit .656 with 125 HRs in AAA.

3. Some other organization might need him for their minor league or major league teams.

4. His father could be holding pictures on someone.

6. Rob says:

Bonehead play by Crawford, Cost the dodgers big time. Cappy looks bad and our pens is spent after the sweep.

No sure there are many people of the ball park tonight. Lots of empty seats.

Fall asleep tonight, guys, and you are in last place.

8. Rob says:

Crawford got one back! Kemp should switch spots with Crawford in the order because he leads the team with 5 HR.

Looks like a mostly empty park. 31,000.

They are calling that a triple. It was not. I don’t care if he touched it or not, that was an error.

This might be a game that will require 6+ to win it.

10. Rob says:

Eithier hit that ball hard back to Cahill, that’s our luck lately.

11. Bball says:

Horrible call. Y is Donnie taking that. Get kicked out show some f in emotion.

Bad call.

What did I tell you guys about Goldschmidt?

Capuano not the answer.

14. Rob says:

This is why Donnie has to go!! First base open and you let cappy pitch to goldie. Even though Ross hit a HR afterwards the numbers show Goldie owns cappy. Pitching might have been different to Ross with two on and no outs, we will never know.

15. Bball says:

Absolutely no life at all. This team sucks. I think Donnie knows he getting axed. What is this management waiting for. Something has to be done.

16. Bball says:

Is it football season yet.

17. KEN says:

The sad news is that Uribe IS the best dodger 3B. :(

In reality today’s game really is just spring training for Cappy. He might be a 5.00 ERA pitcher by Memorial Day.

Donnie T-No-Balls should have argued with the umpires and gotten thrown out of the game.

Crawford look like he is gaining weight.

18. Idaho al says:

I cannot believe that Donny did not argue the drop ball by Crawford. There is no emotion. I am now becoming convinced that Donny is not going to be there very long. You have to support your players. There is no fire in the belly.

19. Rob says:

Make Paco our next starting pitcher!

20. Rob says:

Bad base running Matt! Down by 4 and trying to stretch a double. I have not missed a game this year and I think I need a break. This shit is depressing.

The dbacks are my second team. I actually like the way they play. Kinda like the midgets, all pulling together, with some serious talent in that lineup. Tonight the wife asked me who I thought was going to win, and I said the dbacks. She asked why. I said, on a good day Cahill is a much better pitcher than Capuano and Cappy is coming off the DL. Plus, the Dodgers are damaged and until they are at full strength, the smart money is on the better team. The dbacks are a better team. As are the midgets.

Maybe this team, as it is currently constructed, is a last place club. Certainly in the NL West they might be.

This is really sad. I am still hopeful that, at full strength, we can compete. But obviously, with Matt Kemp looking like a rookie, AGon a singles hitter and Ethier finding nothing but gloves with every thing he hits, this team cannot expect the back players to carry them.

I look forward to the day things start going our way. For now, it’s just a sad show to watch. And there weren’t very many people watching tonight. The Dodgers are blowing a great opportunity.

22. Gonzo says:

You guys beat me to the punch. The body language that the team shows is unacceptable. The injuries can only help Donnie’s case so much. Announcers say that the team loves playing for him. I call BS. There is no spark and no initiative in these guys right now. I’d be surprised if Donnie makes it to the all star game. Like someone just mentioned, he sees the writing on the wall. I did like how AJ Ellis told Guerra to get his head put of his ass and that no one was warming up in the BP when he was chucking the ball and not really giving a crap.

23. KEN says:

LAST PLACE LAST PLACE LAST PLACE LAST PLACE LAST PLACE

Runs Scored – 28th
    ERA – 21st
    Fielding Pct. – 27th

REALLY NOT A GOOD TEAM

At least not as bad as Toronto. They also have an excuse with 7 pitchers on the DL plus Reyes.

Guerra is not the answer. Any other potential long relievers in the entire organization? Matt Palmer, Angel Castro, Rob Rasmussen?

Time for another Beckett Blowup?

Your post has panic written all over it Ken.

At full strength this is not a last place team. What needs to be done here is to hold on and pull together as a unit. Kemp knows that this team will only go as far as the #3 hitter in the lineup takes them. This is his team. Any time Matt.

We need Ethier, Kemp, and Ramirez to play to their potential. If ALL of them are absent, we are sunk. When Greinke gets back, provided he is 100%, our starting staff should greatly improve. I don’t know what to say about our bullpen. I really thought they were better.

Maybe it is Donnie. I have seen him do some weird things. Maybe the players like playing for him because he is so easy on them. I don’t know, but many of them look drugged. I doubt any managerial move will be made until we see what this team does at full strength. It’s not the managers fault that the back-ups aren’t All Pro’s. It is up to the GM to provide players.

Stay calm people. This is a rough time for many teams in MLB.

Folks — I have moved into the final stage of death/loss . . . ACCEPTANCE. As far as the Los Angeles Dodgers are concerned. Let me explain.

Back in the 1960s, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross developed 5 states of death or loss.

1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance

As it fits the 2013 Dodgers is like this . . .

1. Denial — it makes not sense that the Dodgers have kept loosing. It makes no sense with the roster they have. If, IF, I-F these guys played like they should and could — they would be in first place. They will come around when the injured guys come around. This cannot be happening to this team, it is too good.

2, Anger — Kemp was not ready for the season. Billingsley scares me, we need him and he should have had the surgery last fall. Ticks me off he waited so long, now he will not be ready for at least another season. Bad. Gee, more players down, on the DL. More players on the DL like Elbert, Fife, Greinke, Lilly, Tolleson, Ellis, and Ramirez (twice). How can this happen to one team. I am also angry at Donnie and his style of managing. Angry at Ned for not cleaning up the roster or making some changes. What is with those two!!!

3. Bargaining — I have called upon the Big Blue Dodger in the sky, but BBD seems to be busy or is angry at something. Okay, I will have only good thoughts for this team. I will watch games on TV wearing my Dodger jersey’s. Maybe I should send a positive word to Donnie and tell him just to hang in there — the guys will turn this around — I am sure.

4. Depression — This looks like a big black hole. There is no life or spirit with this team. They are paid a lot of money and they are not doing what we expect of them to do. I have trouble eating, sleeping, I do not want to go out anywhere, afraid my friends will say, “Hey, what is wrong with your Dodgers, they stink this season.” Last place now. A lost season.

5. Acceptance — Maybe this is for the best. A bad season. Get it out of the way and re-load for next season. The present Dodgers do not deserve to win. After some player personnel changes are made by the end of July and after the season, the new Dodgers will be ready. Now I know what Cub fans have go through for years and years. We Dodger fans must stick by them. Sooo, what till next year.

1. [...] DODGERS PLACE INFIELDER MARK ELLIS ON THE DISABLED LIST; REINSTATE CHRIS CAPUANO FROM THE DL Capuano to make second start of the season tonight vs. Arizona LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today placed infielder Mark Ellis on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to April 27) with a strained right quad and reinstated left-handed pitcher Chris Capuano from the disabled list. Capuano has been on the DL since April [...]… [...]