Christopher George Clayton Kershaw (1949 – 2013)

I am not going to jump to any conclusions about Clayton’s relationship with his father.  I can certainly see the physical resemblance however.  Whenever parents are divorced, it presents challenges to the children and I am sure this was no different.  Who was his dad?  What was their relationship like?  We all want to know, but it’s none of our business.  If Clayton wants us to know, he’ll tell us.  Legacy.com had this obituary:

Kershaw, Christopher George Clayton May 24, 1949 – April 28, 2013  Christopher George Clayton Kershaw met his Lord and Savior face-to-face on Sunday, April 28, 2013 at the age of 63. What we only know in part this side of eternity, Chris now knows in full (1 Corinthians 13:12). Chris was born in Manhattan, New York on May 24, 1949 to Reverend George Clayton Kershaw and Alice Irene “Peggy” Evans Kershaw. He enjoyed a sweet friendship with his only sibling and older sister, Joanne Margaret Kershaw Brockman, until her death in 2004. George and Peggy moved their family to Dallas where Chris grew up. He attended University Park Elementary School in the Park Cities and later, St. Mark’s School of Texas. Chris attended college at Sewanee University in Sewanee, Tennessee and later returned to his roots back in Dallas, where he studied at Southern Methodist University. From a very early age, Chris had a love and giftedness for music. At 18, he directed music for the Dallas Summer Musicals-the beginning of a bright career in the music business. He dedicated much of his time and energy to the advertising world as a jingle writer where he enjoyed friendships with world-class musicians from all over the country. Chris was awarded a CLIO Award, given to honor groundbreaking work and talent that pushes the boundaries of creativity. He later worked as a music composer, singer and producer for Jam Creative Productions. He was a brilliant mind and his respected, early career was a gift to the music industry. Chris is survived by his wife, Carolyn Kershaw, and her daughters Nicolette Noel Young and Madeline Elise Brooks. Chris and Carolyn also enjoyed the company of their two granddaughters Eden Noel Nalley and Luxe Nicole Young. He is also survived by his only son, Clayton Edward Kershaw and his wife Ellen. A memorial service will be held in celebration of Chris’ life at 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 1st at Highland Park Presbyterian Church in Dallas. Dr. Ron Scates will officiate. In lieu of flowers, the Kershaw family requests that donations be made in Chris’ honor to Big Thought (www.BigThought.org), an organization that runs a music program, donating instruments to underprivileged children. Our earthly loss is certainly heaven’s gain, for our sadness is buoyed in the sure hope that we have in Christ Jesus. We look forward to sharing in the freedom and eternity that Chris now experiences as a reality.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Clayton in this time of sorrow.  This is all we need to know.  Godspeed, Clayton!

Earth-Covered-70

45 Responses to “Christopher George Clayton Kershaw (1949 – 2013)”

Sounds like he was a talented guy. 63 is too young, but, you just never know…. do you. At 65 I have already outlived both my bio parents.

Sounds like Psy wasn’t that big a hit. Lasorda was singularly unimpressed.

Ryu 12 K’s in 6 IP. Why only 6 innings?

2.5 out. Games within the division are important. dbacks lost a close one against the midgets. Cahill did to them what he did to us, but then Putz lost another one. I believe he is only 50% in save opps. Gotta do better than that obviously.

2. Rob says:

After all the excitement with having Hanley back in the lineup, did anyone else hate to see him double clutching that ball all night? His bat is clearly needed in the lineup but his defense at SS will cost his pitchers a few more at bats a game.

He belongs at third base or as a DH. He is not a SS. .968 flg % is below league average… and so his negative dWAR every year. I really believe if he focused on it, he could be an outstanding third baseman.

• Quasimodo says:

Perhaps HanRam’s double clutching has to do with with his thumb injury and will only be temporary. He’s still a nice fit with his bat. Especially so when we have such a crafty pitcher on the mound. I’d guess they are happy to throw a few extra pitches in exchange for the run support.

God Speed Clayon and Kershaw family.
    Losing someone is never easy. This GAME will be here when you come back. Be with your family as long as you need, plus 1 day.

Hanley didn’t look good at SS I agree, BUT his routes were better, it was the exchange (glove to hand) that are slow and awkward. I am hoping it is his hand and not just lazy play. A guy like Shawon Dunstun used to be able to get away with bad routes, looking at the ball, & then fire to throw anyone out. But not Hanley. Pick it and throw it dude. Don’t worry about style points!

If there is one thing that drives me crazy and it showed up in the WBC and you see more and more of it in the MLB these days is the styling/Cadilac-ing that has become acceptable. It is mostly Latin players too. Carribean players to be exact. The bat flips, the over celebration…. Watch Jose Reyes, Big Papi, Manny Ramirez used to do it, Hanley styles out every HR, & Puig did it in Spring Training. To be fair look at Prince Fielder drop his bat and admire his long balls too. It’s annoying & it’s one of the things that kept baseball from being a “me first league”. Whats next? Celebration dances at home plate (ala NFL routine tackle celebrations) or a SS & 2B chest thumping after a 6-4-3 double play like an NBA player hitting a 3 point shot in a blowout game? Baseball always policed itself and saved celebrations for the dugout and never EVER showed an opponent up. This trend is sad. Cultures are different and times do change but I hope somehow some traditions and some class can be retored. Oh well

Oh yeah, 1.5 games out of first place….. May 1st…… Totally unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Quasimodo says:

Typo? We’re 2.5 games out.

6. Quasimodo says:

It was really refreshing Dodgers countered in last night’s game fallowing the blowout of the previous game. Lets hope Becket passes tonight test and our bats stay alive. I’d sure like to see more runs scored in the later innings. Its almost like Dodgers get too comfortable with a small lead.

Quasimodo, MLB.com has us at 1.5 out. See man things are looking up, we gained a game over night hahahaha

Maybe its me but I would like to see Van Slyke called up to spell Gonzo and get spot starts for Ethier maybe Crawford. Gonzo is not Cal Ripken and with his steady bat we can’t afford to wear him out. Baby Huey Andy is crushing in AAA and even if he doesn’t here he is a better option at 1B every 5th or 6th game than Hairston or Uribe. They have hit a little but Andy is more familiar with the position in my opinion.

My bad I was looking at WC standings! This idiot will stop talking now…..

Games behind . . . I had not noticed before in MLB site . . .

but they have two (2) behind the leader columns.

One is for – Games Behind

The other is for – Wild Card Games behind

So, right now, the Dodgers are 2.5 games behind the leader, and 1.5 games behind the Wild Card leader.

Anyway, after 1 month — on May 1 the Dodgers have been play .500 baseball with no SS, no 3B, and a centerfielder who has really not shown up. Also, too many to count starters that have vanished for one reason or another.

If the post season were starting today — the Dodgers would be in trouble. Clayton is away, and there still in so 3B, SS is now passable, CF is still an IF, and the backup catcher has no gas in the tank at all.

Other than that — print the tickets.

10. emerson-Lake says:

You can’t judge Hanley in the field while he still has the splint on his thumb–just have to accept that it’s not going to be pretty for a while. Love to have his bat–but hate to have him at short when guys like Beckett and Lilly are on the mound-those guys can’t waste any outs! Maybe Sellers can give him a breather when our weak links are going. Sellers was actually getting his act together. Don’t know if Hanley’s splint would be any better off at third and I’m all for giving Uribe a full shot there–he just might have a good year left in him.

Not sure what his numbers are, but it does seem to me that Uribe looks better at the plate than he’s ever looked as a Dodger.

Maybe he’s figured it out, maybe he’s re-found his swing. Maybe it’s a contract year. Whatever it is, I’d rather have him in there than anyone else right now.

Of course, I still prefer Hanley at 3b and Gordon at SS :)

Contract year Bobby.

Ramirez changes the look of our entire lineup. When both he and Kemp are on it, this team will score.

Uribe has looked good. He is even walking!?!?! I never thought I’d see that. I think we will see a lot of him and I would keep Cruz for backup. I just like him send Sellers back down. Personal preference. Uribe could be a good bench guy going forward who knows. But for now ride it out.

Roger, It’s true “if the playoffs started today….” We would be in bad shape. But they don’t and we are in still. Players are coming back. Kemp is starting to find a groove. Greinke is already throwing. We will be fine. Will they win it all? Who knows. But the pieces are there and I still feel they will make a run at it.

13. emerson-Lake says:

Apropos of nothing, I just saw a freeze-frame of Hanley’s follow-through on his home run swing–it looks just like Puig, just before he lets go of the bat…amazingly similar…and both amazingly powerful! If we ever get these two dudes plus A-Gone, Kemp and Crawford all in the same lineup–it will be awesome! …Sorry Andre…hey, can you play 3rd?

Hallelujah brother emerson!

“Uribe has looked good.” Romey

Contract year. Leave him on the bench for back-up, late inning PH, occasional start here and there…… then let him walk to some other gullible team because he put up some decent numbers.

Hanley at 3B and Gordon at short. But if that’s going to happen, it probably won’t be soon. I suspect that the Dodgers want Gordon to get 2-3 months at ALBQ before even considering a call-up.

Emerson, I’m sure it was just a momentary lapse. Ethier can’t play 3B, he’s lefthanded.

I still don’t like Uribe, but he is at least trying to hit the ball up the middle and to right more often. And he’s been surprisingly patient at the plate. Maybe it’s enough to get another team interested.

Was too busy to watch the game last night, but did watch live snippets on my iPhone, including Hanley’s HR. I believe Kemp’s hits were to center and right center last night. If that continues, he will certainly start to hit. And the power will come also.

If the team gets and stays healthy, they will pick it up.

• Bobby says:

Im sure Emerson was joking about Andre playing 3rd.

But you’re right; throw Puig in with Hanley and the rest and we have a ridic athletic team.

I think we’ll be ok. I’d like to win tonight and win a series vs. a good team.

I think that some of the players are starting to heat it up. Punto seems motivated right now. Hanley is very motivated.

Maybe they have stopped the psy talks before the game and just let them play ball.

I am hoping that Adrian will start connecting on some of those big swings of his, and drive the ball a bit deeper. That would be nice.

17. Rob says:

To be .500 with all of the injuries is great. Sometimes adversity builds team chemistry more then anything. Other then the Yankees missing 3/4 their infield the Dodgers have had the highest injury rate to key players in the MLB.

Just noticed on Dodgers.com

in the near upper right corner, the “Video Corner” has a video clip from last night, with PSY at the game, then in the clubhouse. It is 3:08.

If you have not see it, might want to check it out:

19. Quasimodo says:

Can anybody explain to me why so many think Steve Lyons does a poor job announcing games? I don’t share that opinion. Actually I have a high opinion of Lyon’s work. He’s no Vin Scully as there’s only one of him. I’m looking forward to getting up to speed on M. Ellis and Crawford via Steve Lyons tonight.

• Bobby says:

I don’t mind Lyons. Eric Collins, however, is not very good.

Dude has a heart attack on fly balls, acting like they’re about to over the wall, and in reality the outfielder has to come in and catch it.

We can do better!

• 1000OaksDave says:

I agree. I like his work. Glad someone pointed it out. I should have. I mostly just have time to read posts on this site due to my busy life but I wanted to join in on your support of Lyon. I remember after Kemp was injured last year and Lyon stated that Kemp would probably never be the same as a stolen base threat (One less tool? Still a stud. . But I digress..)

Mark picked up on that and headlined his next post with Lyon’s analysis of Kemp…anyways…Though Kemp is still a stud and we’re all glad he’s a Dodger, some of us are glad to see Lyon and his contributions..small hands and all.

20. Idahoal says:

I need help. I have the MB Package “Extra Innings” from Direct T.V. I had to listen to the Colorado broad cast. I miss Vin. This has happened more than once. Does anyone know why?

I believe the Dodger Fox Network was doing a basketball game at that hour. And I believe (not being in L.A. do not know) the broadcast goes to local TV, and DirecTV does not carry that. Sooooo they defer to the other team’s broadcast.

22. Bball says:

I too really do like Lyons. I hope when Vin retires ( which by the way will never happen. God would not do that to us) he takes over.

23. Rob says:

There goes the error, 3rd base please

24. Rob says:

That error started this nightmare!!

Dodgers just cannot get away from these games . . . they just seem to come up every three or four days . . .

Would not be surprised to read tomorrow — that Beckett is placed on the DL, something is wrong in his body

26. Rob says:

LOoks like we will see guerra tonight

Do we hear . . . “Macgill is up in the bullpen getting ready”

Beckett don’t look so good.

Dbacks with 9 blown saves. Leads the league. Dodgers only 3. Texas with 0.

29. Rob says:

Nice stroke gonzo!! It looks like loney has found his swing with the Rays, happy to see things are working out for him.

Dbacks pen just did it again.

31. Rob says:

So Weiss leaves his guy Outman in because he is pitching great and Mantingly takes out Paco because he is pitching great, Donnie is and idiot.

32. Rob says:

Paco has pitched a total of 30 pitches in one week. Well I hope everyone is healthy for the series against the midgets because we will need them against a clutch hitting team with a manager who knows how to manage.

33. jerry says:

hanley had trouble last yr..getting the ball from the glove. mybe he needs a smaller glove.. it is easier to transfer. just thought i would being it up..

34. Rob says:

This loss actually sucked more then the 12-2 loss. Beckett going 4 innings is unacceptable. I would rather see an up and coming guy like Lee or Reed pitch.

Beckett is the model of inconsistency. He throws a good one now and then. But yeah, 4 IP is not gonna get it.

I watched the entire dbacks gins series and yes, the gints are a clutch hitting team, but truth be told, they were hitting some really awful down the pipe mistake pitches from Ziegler, Hernandez and Putz. The dbacks have some serious bullpen issues. I think those guys are actually good and will figure it out, but that bullpen lost all three games in the series. The midgets can hit mistakes. Just don’t make them. Hit your spots, change speeds, and throw the Panda NOTHING close, and they can be beat.

Are we REALLY a .500 club? Nah…. it’s only May.

36. jerry says:

when we bunted we scored..there was all kinds of time i would of bunted..and we could of score..bad manager just want s us to hit no matter what…this was a tight game…play for `1 run…

37. jerry says:

we just lost to the giants..

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]