What Were They Thinking?

• The Dodgers hitting with RISP is still horrid!  HORRID… even after a win.  What were they thinking?
  • On March 14th I write this:   “You don’t get a platelet-rich plasma therapy if there’s not something pretty serious wrong with your elbow.”   We all knew C-Bill was going to have to undergo the knife.  All except the dumbasses on the Dodgers’ training staff.  Hey morons, even Ray Charles could have seen that coming.  IDIOTS!!!  Bills could have had this done six months ago.  Typical Stan Conte and Company!  What were they thinking?
  • So let me get this right – you want to call up a guy who has a career OB% of .299 (Gordon) and put him in the leadoff spot replacing the guy who is currently the best leadoff guy in baseball (Crawford) ?  Are you crazy or high?  Stop it!!!!  I mean STOP IT!  What were they thinking?
  • On April 1oth, I wrote this:  ”That said, Mark Ellis is excelling at #2 where he is OPS’ing .791.  He’s due for a career year.  Hard worker, good guy!”  YES, YES and YES!  What were they thinking?
  • Clayton will be fine.   I mean, when he’s not perfect we worry…  He’s fine.  What were they thinking?
  • Juan Uribe should be the Dodgers’ 3B.  PERIOD!  He plays 3B the way it is supposed to be played.  What were they thinking?
  • The Dodgers aren’t getting any younger.  They need to win now.  Joc Pederson’s stock will never be higher than it is now.  The Dodgers should trade Pederson (where is he going to even play for LA?) and Matt Magill to the Mets for Daniel Murphy.  Throw in a 2B too.  The Mets would do that deal.  What were they thinking?
  • Call up Dee Gordon?  He committed his 7th error last night.  He’s on pace for about 70 errors.  What were they thinking?
  • Luis Cruz is blocking Alex Castellanos and that isn’t cool.  What were they thinking?

Earth-Covered-70

55 Responses to “What Were They Thinking?”

MSTI agrees with a few of these takes. Mark Ellis. As bad as others have been, he has been a light. He sure looks like he keeps himself in great shape. Uribe should follow him around.

What’s wrong with Kershaw? He’ll get it figured out.

Crawford coming down, Sellers going up. .220 ain’t good, but, three hits? I can live with Sellers if he can give us .250. But, I think Gordon could give us .250 as well and I would rather live with him.

Jerry Hairston is going to be 37 soon. He is OPS’n .422. Just sayin’.

I think Luis is soon going on a Cruz.

Have to admit you are right about Bills. Most of us figured a while ago he was going to need surgery. Where are the Dodger doctors? Shouldn’t they have known this last year?

I am gonna back to that other thread and read Dave’s last post. I read it once and didn’t understand it. I know he has a great baseball mind, maybe it was just early and I hadn’t enough coffee yet.

2. RogerCraig says:

Dave is Steve Ames dad I believe.

3. Idahoal says:

I am the one who said Gordon should bat lead off. i think that is where he eventually belongs, but maybe not now. I still think Gordon should come up. I know Sellers got some hits last night, but Gordon is the future. Move Gordon to shortstop and put Hanley at 3rd where he belongs and that would be my line up.

I would not be so hard on the medical staff. I believe it was Billingsly who would not do it. Now he may be lost for half the season next year. He had the final say and he elected not to have the surgery.

Cruz just needs to leave along with Uribe.

4. HemmorhoidRage says:

REALLY? After all the bitching and moaning that Mark piled on Crawford as his unworthiness as a lead=off hitter, he is going to try and act as if none of it occurred. Then see the results of Crawford as a leadoff hitter is going to act all high and mighty. REALLY what kind of a bunch of idiots does he think we are?
    ” Are you crazy or high? Stop it!!!! I mean STOP IT! What were they thinking?”

Wow, I have to go back to that last thread and read Dave’s comments now. I’ll remind you, I agree with whatever Dave’s says, so far I have never understood what he has said, but whatever it is, I agree with it.

Roid,

Evidently you don\’t read everything. A few days ago I said this:

\”Carl Crawford continues to play at an All-Star Level. He may not have had success at lead-off in the past, but he has clearly slimmed down and seems to have the mindset that he is going to be a tremendous lead-off hitter. What an asset he can be as the Dodgers lead-off hitter.\”

Now, just to clarify, I said that in the past CC was not a good leadoff hitter (TRUE) and I said he was fat (ALSO TRUE). He has changed and adapted and is looking much better… not considering last night.

So, how have I acted like it has not occurred. Your argument has no merit.

As far as I am concerned Crawford and Gordon are interchangeable at the top of the lineup. I don’t know that Gordon is quite ready for the lead-off spot, but for now put him between Crawford and Kemp and let him grow into a top of the order hitter. Who knows, maybe after 300 or so at bats, he can go to the top. Gordon, Crawford, Kemp, Gonzalez, Ramirez, Ethier. Man, that sounds lethal to me.

Stop with the fat crap!

There was a couple of months in his career, when he was injured, he may have put on some weight. That is NOT who he is. He has always been a work-out freak and THAT is who he is. You have to look at the entire body of work when evaluating anybody. Unless you are a lawyer trying to win a weak case, you cannot take a photo of anyone and say THAT is who they are. It’s silly to continue to make that case. Since he became an everyday starter he has had ONE mediocre year. Even the year he was out with injury he still put up a .785 OPS.

As long as he can stay on the field, Crawford will hit near .280 and score near 100 runs. He is also a very good defender. He will be one of the additions that will actually go right for this team. I remain convinced of that.

8. KEN says:

Every time that Kershaw has as bad game I perceive, right or wrong, that he is changing the angle and distance that he is falling off to 3B.

Crawford appears to me to have moved his back foot a little farther from the plate and is now slumping.

Gordon – 7 errors already – What kind of jelly should LAD put on that toast? At least he is not fat.

It wasn’t the PRP therapy that was stupid, it was thinking that he could start that was stupid. Bills should have worked through his rehab as a reliever during all of 2013.

Cruz tried to man up with more power and ruined his swing. Time to go back to Taiwan and play with Manny because now we all know that Uribe Is better than Cruz.

9. KEN says:

Run differentials

COL +19
    SF +6
    AZ +17
    LAD -6
    SD -31 (How can the LAD lose to these guys?)

“(How can the LAD lose to these guys?)”

Easy. It’s personal with them. They beat the Dodgers a few times, fans notice and buy more tickets. Doesn’t matter they can’t beat anybody else.

“At least he is not fat.”

Best line I have read today.

If Bills had surgery in Oct/Nov of 2012, he would have missed all of 2013. Now that Bills is having surgery April 25, 2013, he’ll miss all of 2013. He should be ready by May 2014.

In my mind, EVERYONE who is a medical expert knew that. So they could try a radical new treatment. If this platelet thing worked, then wow, brand new medical breakthrough!! If not, oh well he still misses 2013. Bills probably knew this as well, and went along with it.

I really had my doubts he’d last the whole year, but I”m not Dr. Frank Jobe so I don’t know tendons, tears, and surgeries as well as he does. If the smart people, AND Bills, thought this was a good idea to try, then they’re smarter than most of us are, and they should try.

In the meantime, I’m ready for the next pitcher to go down, and see whos ready to come up!!

12. Quasimodo says:

Good morning all! Always cool to wake up after a Dodger win and a Giants loss to go along with a fair nights sleep. Rather than biting into whatever argument on the above menu I’m chewing the thoughts of how Lilly will perform tonight. It almost seems like he’s being punished for being stubborn and saying “I’m ready and don’t need to show anybody”. We’ll see tonight. We need the next two to return home above .500

Good point Bobby. I hadn’t really thought that one through.

Quas. Lilly. I got 5.1 IP, 4-5 earned runs. He leaves in the 6th with two runners on. I figure it’s going to take 6-7 runs to win this one. How do I know that? I consulted my crystal balls. Yeah, I said it.

14. Rob says:

We don’t need Gordon right now, leave him in the minors. I complain enough about hitting with runners on, I don’t need to worry about Gordon’s sub par throwing.

Mark Ellis really did save us yesterday. That win goes to him.

Does that mean he gets a +1 in that WAR thing?

16. Quasimodo says:

Badger, actually that’s being more than fair to him when considering there’s so little that’s been shown for us to puff our chests in confidence where he’s concerned. We all feel things could get pretty ugly tonight. But just maybe……..

I figure if he goes 5 without getting blown up – it’s a successful outing. This is more than likely a day the team will have to work to outscore the opposition. Will he pitch like a 12 million dollar pitcher? Well…. Jason Schmidt and Darren Dreifort were 12 million dollar pitchers so, yeah, he will.

17. HawkeyeDodger says:

Mark, you were calling for a promotion of Dee Gordon just a day or two ago.

When Gordon can master the art of stealing first base and running the ball to first to save a throw……bring him back. I never bought the hype. Everyone has moved on, and you should too.

Ted Lilly tonight? Ugh!! Welcome back I guess. I will start the over/under on homeruns given up at 2.5. For a double or nothing I will say stolen bases will be 2.5 also during Teddy’s 4 inning outing while giving up 5ER.

Any takers? 50 pushups per bet! LOL

• Bobby says:

Romo said it all with:

Gordon’s stats:

Avg: .329
    OBP: .397
    RISP: .444
    SB: 9 of 10

It’s ALBQ., where all offensive stats are questionable. But the one thing that appears to be different about Gordon this year, is his willingness to take walks. His discipline at the plate appeared to improve during ST, and it seems as if he’s continuing that trend into the season.

Everybody questioned Bills not having surgery, but Bobby’s take has merit. Yes, if Bills had had the surgery last year he would likely have been back for the full 2014 season, whereas now he could miss a significant portion of it. But maybe it was worth the risk. And I’m sure it was a decision on which the Dodgers sought advice from the medical community outside the Dodgers organization.

Maybe Alex Castellanos has figured it out, or maybe he’s just a AAAA player. He’ll be 27 in August. He had a good year at AA in 2011, and at ALBQ last year. The same ALBQ where Scott Van Slyke is currently hitting well above .400 with a .500 OBP. I guess there are still some Van Slyke supporters around here, but I’m not among them. I saw enough of him last year to be convinced that he’ll never hit at the big league level, and I have strong suspicions that Castellanos isn’t much better.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Badger. That whole fat argument needs to be dropped. Crawford was hurt most of last year, and when he did play, he played well. In Crawford’s case, like Badger said, you have to take into account the entire body of work, not just some tiny snippet.

“With all the trouble we are still 3.5 games out. Hanley will be back soon and the lineup will extend a little here. Stay positive fellas.”

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s a long season.

There is no fat argument about Carl Crawford. He WAS fat. Now is not now and that is good.

22. HemmorhoidRage says:

Easy to defend ones self when you speak out of two sides of your mouth. So I concede Mark, you have never been wrong and will never be wrong, it’s pretty evident! I just love to watch you squirm when you make your argument shift. Don’t take it bad or be a hata, just funny to watch the dance. Your new theme song should be the Billy Idol great, I’m Dancing with Myself. Love that song, btw.
    I christen you, “Billy” from this point forward. (My real name is Mark and you have totally f’d that one up for the rest of us, lol).

Good point made about Bills rolling the dice on surgery, he took a chance and it didn’t work, so he is out for the season, no harm no foul.

I vote for Dave as guest blogger.

Open up, It’s Dave, I got the stuff!

Dave’s not here!

Hemm,

When you talk like that have no clue. My posts stand and you can go back and review them. I am often wrong and admitted that about CC (and others), so if it makes you feel good to post stuff with no substance, then have at it. It’s obvious to others that you are out of touch with reality.

Only a moron doesn’t change their mind when things change…

24. Rob says:

Lilly has surprised everyone, one earned in five with 7 K’s is pretty darn good. If we can steal this game i would be estatic.

25. KEN says:

Amazing!
    Now the game is on Donnie T-Ball’s coaching abilities.

26. Rob says:

KEMP is back!!!!!

5 innings without a blow up. Dang. As impressive as that is, 5 innings out of a starter puts a lot of pressure on the pen.

And Howell can’t find the strike zone. Great.

28. HemmorhoidRage says:

Ah Billy, it just doesn’t wash, you condemn yourself with your own words. Can’t get around it, you shift like a Sahara wind, hot air blowing a different direction every other minute. Billy, you are dancing with yourself again. Oh, Oh, Oh!

Remember I agree with you, you are 100% correct all the time, that will never change with you. You are never wrong.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Sometimes I find myself the victim of other people’s bitterness, smallness and insecurities, but then I remember that it could be worse – I could be them… and I’m OK!

The pen HAS to do its job now.

This Harvey guy has some great stuff! I can see the reason for the hype.

Ted Lilly should hit League right in the mouth!

31. Rob says:

I can’t believe Wall walked the winning run to second.

He got fat again!

;)

33. Rob says:

Send wall packing!!!!!

Call up Steve Ames.

Josh has hit the Wall!

Ugly.

Crawford looked like he would rather have been somewhere else.

Who the hell is Josh Wall and why the hell is he here?

36. Quasimodo says:

Well Lilly did a great job………….When will they recognize Jansen is the real closer again? Brandon is just like Javvy. Hows that so hard to tell?

37. KEN says:

Thank you Ned for not being smart enough to bring up a
    LONG RELIEVER.

I would not bring up a AAA or AA pitcher who has a WHIP Hire than 1.00. Why was Wall called up other than stupid CHEAP SERVICE TIME CONSERVATION?

And Crawford looks drunk. :)

38. Rob says:

Great job Lilly, Belli, and Kemp. Horrible job Howell, Crawford, and especially Wall. Oh and Donnie too. Crawford does not play well off of the bench but I guess skip is much better at the lead off spot. I didnt really think we would win today but after seeing Lilly pitch great I thought we would steal it but I guess it was a dream. After kemp hit the homer we needed a shut down inning but Howell decided to walk the first two batters and thankfully Belli limited the damage.

Interesting part is that any other Dodger leftfielder probably would not have gotten to the ball that Crawford dropped. Just a bad play on a ball that he should have caught. Maybe he was upset because Mark keeps saying he was fat.

If the bullpen can’t throw strikes they’re going to blow games. Howell was just as responsible for this loss as Crawford, League and Wall. Not only did he hand the Mets a run, but he cost the Dodgers the use of Belisario later in the game by not going a couple of innings.

Steven Ames has a low ERA, but he’s also given up 9 hits in 6 innings. Yes, it’s ALBQ, so maybe he would be OK. But Tolleson, who is better than Wall, is also pitching well at ALBQ, and so, in fact, is Chris Withrow, who’s been better since he was put in the bullpen last year.

Just a lousy game. Lilly surprised, but who knows how long that will last.

I didn’t think it would be the pitching as often as it has been. League deserved better. That ball hit Crawford in his glove, then he walked over to get it. Terrible. Surprising. Terribly surprising. I don’t expect Crawford to play lazy, and he looked lazy tonight. Maybe it’s because he was drunk.

Wall. I don’t understand why he is here. But then, so is Uribe, Sellers, Cruz, Hairston, Schumaker…….

1/3 of an inning and gave up 4 earned. Somebody get a calculator out and give me an ERA for that one. It’s over 100 I think. Won’t last long with an ERA over 100.

4 for 33 and 0 for 4 WRISP. We had Kemp and that’s about it.

I’m going to bed. Good luck Lakers. You’re gonna need it.

41. jerry says:

i believe Bills is done as a pitcher..i dont like him before he got hurt..and i dont like him after..he is a 5 inning picture and we can find better..

42. HemmorhoidRage says:

I’m looking for a 5 inning picture for my living room wall.

Im sure that’s true jerry, but we owe Bills 12 mil next year with a club option the following year. Might as well see what he can do.

Lakers need a new strength and conditioning coach as well. China dolls. Living in L.A. must make you soft. I know bats soften up when they come to L.A..

44. Jason says:

I thought this year’s bullpen was supposed to be “give us a lead in the seventh and we are golden.”

45. Idahoal says:

I never did like League as a closer and I still do not like him as a closer. I saw him pitch too many times in Seattle when he lost. He has a great sinker when it is working. However, too many times his sinker is not working and he is very easy to hit. That is why Seattle got rid of him. He was not dependable enough as a closer. I agree Crawford should of had the fly ball, but you still have the problem with League’s sinker. The commentators on the NY channel said that his sinker was not working.

It wasn’t working because he couldn’t find the bottom of the strike zone with it. Doesn’t matter how sharp the pitch breaks if it misses the strike zone. I still like the guy. He deserved better. The run shows up as “earned” but that’s not the way I saw it. You give a team an extra out (Crawford) and put the tying run in scoring position by not hustling after your mistake (Crawford) it’s the pitcher who will pay (League).

MSTI makes a good point. This is a team game and the Dodgers have been failing as a team so far this year.

Aaron Miller anyone? He is getting people out in AA. .171 BAA and 8 K’s in 4.1 last night. With Tolleson out, Wall not effective, and Lilly going 5 every time out (I think that’s all we are going to get out of him) we need more better arms in that pen.