Sands, IDJ2 and Morris

You may or may not know that I have another site http://www.indyprosports.com/ that covers the Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Colts, Indy Car and the Indianapolis Indians.  I have a partner who is supposed to blog about that, but he also is busy, so it is a red-headed stepchild.  We neglect it.  I have Press Passes at the Indianapolis Indians games (AAA Affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates) but have never used them the past two years because I prefer going with my family.  Maybe when I was younger…. but I have no desire now.

Anyway, I digress.  We went to the game Saturday night.  The reason I am writing about this is because Jerry Sands in the Indianapolis Indians 4th outfielder and Ivan DeJesus, Jr. is a backup infielder.   After watching them, I understand. Sadly, I get it!   Jerry Sands is hitting .153 and looks totally lost at the plate against AAA pitching.  IDJ2 is at .324 after going 2-4 today, but he is slow and has a limited future.  Jerry Sands has very little to offer.  IDJ2 is a utility-man.

The Indians also have have Bryan Morris as their closer.  He’s 26 years old and not a bad AAA closer – he’s doing well this year and could have a future with the Pirates though.

I only mention this because all three of these player were once the DODGERS TOP PROSPECTS.  Add them to Trayvon Robinson. Andy LaRoche, Josh Bell, Joe Thurston and many others who were once TOP 10 Suspects.

What is wrong with the Dodger System that they keep running these “pretenders” out there?  Thoughts?

P.S.  Clayton took it into his own hands yesterday.  He knew he couldn’t trust the Dodgers offense.

Laker fans:  You need a new coach and he resides in Indianapolis.  He will be one heck of a head coach for you.  Brian Shaw!  Get him.  Here is a great article about him.

Earth-Covered-70

18 Responses to “Sands, IDJ2 and Morris”

“What is wrong with the Dodger System that they keep running these “pretenders” out there? Thoughts?”

uuhhhh……….. Logan White?

Agree about Shaw. I got a feeling Buss Jr. doesn’t know his ass from a Gabilliam tarpit. Jeannie should be running that show and Phil should have a job doing something. And after his unceremonious exit, I wonder what the future holds for Howard. He needs more of an offensive game to be the Laker franchise player. And the Lakers need a shooter like Stephen Curry. I think a lot of work needs to be done to that roster. Even if everyone would have been there, the Spurs still win that series.

Is Punto the new Dodger second baseman?

Is Cruz packing his bags?

Just read this comment re: Puig over at A Whole New Blue:

“What planet do some of you people come from? 10 mph over the limit in a rural area, no proof of insurance, and changing lanes with out signaling. These are far from serious charges. They are strictly revenue producing. He has to learn there are 2 sets of laws for rich and poor. We have thousands of people walking free daily in this country because they have money and can afford justice. Justice in the US depends on how much you can afford to pay for it. All of you who believe different, pick up any news paper.The only reason this made the papers is because the paint is dry on the bridge there and now the people have nothing to do.”

I don’t know if it’s accurate, but it sure is entertaining!

2. emerson-Lake says:

I know he’s a sacred cow ( or maybe bull would be more accurate), but Logan White may not be all he’s cracked up to be. Certainly one of his favorite theories that he’s applied to draft after draft has come up as a loser–his bloodlines approach of drafting the children of former stars. These guys don’t seem to have the hunger that other guys do. And there have been way to many #1 picks wasted on pitchers that don’t pan out. He does have charisma, and that’s kept accountability off him, but I doubt he’s going to keep being an untouchable under Stan Kasten. At least Kasten now has a strong role in the system and will hold his feet to the fire.

3. emerson-Lake says:

PS to Badger–Punto is new second baseman only until Ellis returns. Ellis is a major “glue” factor on this team..did you happen to see how Gonzales sung his praises right after he got hurt? He’s a player’s player, and the Dodgers certainly should pick up his option–one less thing to worry about for next year. Cruz can pack ‘em up for all I care–he blew out his confidence overplaying his hand in the WBC game, and now he’s a lost cause–hope he gets it back somewhere, because he’s likeable, but don’t think it’s going to be here. I think he’s designated when Hanley comes back.

4. Idahoal says:

I do not know about Logan White. Something is wrong with the system. I believe the owners are trying now to restock the minor leagues. That will take time for the system to produce new blood.

I do like Punto. Put him at third when Ellis comes back. Punto will battle you. He is a hard nose baseball player.

We have the Rockies for four games. This series could tell us a lot about how the season is going to go. we need to take 3 out of 4 for me to be happy.

5. Idahoal says:

Sorrrrrry. They play three games against the Rockies.

Nice post Mark.

Remember when we stat the first time in Logan White’s office at Camelback? We were talking about the younger players, positions, and trades.

He jokingly said, he told James Loney one day, that “you are the future of the Dodgers at first base, but that I might have to trade you one day.”

I am sure Logan does not pick all of the draft by himself, but has the assistance of scouting, coaches, the GM and more — in making the list and the final selection.

This year the Draft is June 6-7-8.

The Dodgers are 18th on the list.

On a web site, holding a mock draft — they have the Dodgers selecting Dominic Smith, 1B/OF, Serra HS in CA.

Here are some videos . . .

Then, the 56th pick.

Then 92nd. After that it is a deep hole as they finish up.

Im thinking, after 10 years of this, the fall has to be on Logan White? Who else can we blame???

As far as B-Shaw, we (AND Kobe Bryant) all here in LA wanted him in 2011 after Phil retired, and yet our powers screwed that up with Brown and Dantoni.

Hopefully Bshaw comes back where he belongs.

Painful year for Laker fans.

But some of us are not from L.A. or even Laker fans.

Here in San Antonio, smiles all around for ‘dem Spurs. Lots of old guys, but playing okay right now.

9. Quasimodo says:

Badger, just read your counter and I’m with you about being unable to hope Giants ever win against anybody. I didn’t always feel that way-I was actually cheering for Giants when SF won their 1st championship vs Rangers. What an idiotic fan monster got created fallowing that event. Giants fans have proven to be far worse than Yankee fans ever were.

10. Bobbie17 says:

Top to bottom, the scouting stinks and has for at least 10 years. Development might even be worse than that. I don’t think there is any accountability anywhere. No one HAS to produce. A bunch of guys sitting around staring at each other. “Moneyball” comes to mind. I don’t know that this new group is any different. There has to be a sense of urgency at all levels and departments. Get their collective heads out of the palm trees and start drafting guys that can play in the big leagues. You can never miss with a #1 pick. That one has to be a lock. And forget the Baseball Prospectus people. Their top guys fail as much as any of them. I saw the Orioles play this weekend; it seems they might have finally gotten it right. Starting with the manager.

11. KEN says:

Been saying Logan’s Run and Colonel Mustard should have been gone years ago.

Bernie should have been the Laker coach in 2012/13. I rarely say this but “Racism”?

.500 record, in fourth place and playing terrible. All things considered that is actually good news. :)

Last 7 Days
    (Below the Cruz Line)- Half of the Hitters

Hernandez .000
    FedEx .000
    Hairston .077
    Schumaker .100
    Ellis AJ .133
    Gonzalez .190
    Cruz .200

And half of the pitchers

Wall 15.43 (Send to AA)
    Guerrier 11.57 (Injury coming soon?)
    Howell 9.00
    Rodriquez 6.75 (When will Elbert be healthy?)
    League 6.75 (Still the closer?)
    Beckett 5.06 (Donnie – Take him out of the game sooner, and put a long reliever on the 25 man roster, already)

B17 said above “you can never miss with a #1 pick. That one has to be a lock.”

I mostly agree with this. Baseball has tons of rounds, and everyone finds steals everywhere, but a #1 pick, if not a grand slam, should produce at least a quality major leaguer.

So, going by that, and because I’m on a conference call half paying attention so I have time to do this, here is our #1, or top pick from 2002 onwards, and 1-2 players drafted very near after our guy:

2002: We took Loney with #19. SF took Matt Cain with #25. Obviously Cain is a stud, but Loney was quality for a while there.

2003: We took Bills with #24. Guys taken closely after him are Carlos Quentin (F him) and Adam Jones. Overall solid pick for us.

2004: We took Scott Elbert at #17, Blake Dewitt with #28, and Justin Orenduff with #33 (supplemental 1st round) Yanks took Phil Hughes at #23, Oakland took Huston Street at #40, and notable 2nd rounders were Gallardo, Pence, Pedroia. We completely whiffed on 3 of the top 33 picks. Horrible draft (but not many guys in the top 2 rounds made it big)

2005: Our highest pick was #40, Luke Hochevar (F him too). He never signed with us, so obviously a wasted pick. The BoSox, with picks 42 and 45, took Clay Buckholtz and Jeb Lowrie. Boy did we screw up

2006: We took Kersh with #7. I always wonder, if we had taken Lincecum instead, would we have won a world series in 2008 and/or 2009. Those years we needed an ace, couldnt trade for one, and Kersh wasnt ready, but Lincecum was the Cy Young winner. Would you trade Kersh’s hall of fame to be career for 2 brilliant years of Lincecum and likely a ring or 2? Either way, we got the best player in that draft.

2007: We took Chris Withrow with #20, and James Adkins (who) with #39. Detroit took Rick Porcello at #27. No all stars or anyone worthwhile taken in the 1st or supplemental rounds below our guys (except Porcello).

2008: We took Ethan Martin at #15. Mets took Ike Davis at 18, Yanks took Gerrit Cole at 28 (although he didnt sign).

2009: We took Aaron Miller at #36. Nobody exciting taken immediately after

2010: We took Zach Lee at #28. Only guy taken of note in the supplemental round was Mike Olt (who some on this board have a crush on)

2011: We took Chris Reed with #16. Obviously nobody except Jackie Bradley that’s gotten any time yet

2012: Corey Seager at #18 and seems like a good one (So far)

Haven’t looked at other systems that closely, but I am certain that a lot of their prospects don’t pan out either. And let’s not forget that under McCourt the Dodgers totally abandoned the international market. Not every prospect comes out of the draft. And when it comes to the draft, the Dodgers generally don’t pick too high.

And anyone who believes that ALL number 1 picks should be a lock, is, to the say the least, clueless. There are 30 number 1 picks. That means if your picked number 1, you might be the first player taken in the draft, or the 30th player taken.

Sorry, but I’m not ready to lay blame at anyone’s door. Nor do I think the current system is without good prospects. Magill looked pretty good the other day, Puig looks promising, and there are others. And it will be a while before we see the fruits of the Dodgers’ re-entry into the international market. Those players are generally very young, so it may be a while before we see some of them appearing on top prospect lists.

14. jerry says:

in the old days the dodger had gone scout.s but most of them are pretty old..so i dont think the newer one s have a clue about good talent..

15. jerry says:

corretion good scouts.

Bobby,

A number of years ago I heard that Logan White wanted to pick Bucholz and was overruled by DePodesta. And losing Hochevar may have been a blessing in disguise. He was taken #1 in the draft the year we took Kershaw. I believe that the Tigers picked after us, and that Kershaw was on their radar. Possible that if Hochevar wasn’t in that draft that Kershaw would not have fallen to us. The draft works in mysterious ways.

Oops, I believe the Tigers picked just before us, NOT after. I think the Tigers took the hot college lefthander in that draft (can’t remember his name), and that he might have been gone if Hochevar wasn’t taken at the top of that draft. If he wasn’t available, the hot high school lefthander (Kershaw) likely would have been their pick, just in front of the Dodgers.

The draft has proven over and over that #1 picks are not locks. And there is a big difference between a #1 who is #1, and a #1 who is #30.

Very glad the Dodgers took Kershaw over Lincecum. In fact, I believe there might have been another pitcher or two taken after Kershaw that turned out to be very good. But none as good as Kershaw.