Ned’s Monday To-Do List

1. Have Donnie walk the plank;
  2. Send Luis Cruz and Justin Sellers to AAA; and
  3. Recall Dee Gordon and Alex Castellanos.

Rationale:  I am no longer a Dee Gordon Booster, but now is the time.  It’s only a few days until Hanley comes back from the DL – give Dee an opportunity to displace him.  If Dee is lighting it up, maybe Hanley will be OK moving to 3B.  Casty has speed and power and Cruz is exactly what I thought he was.  Get it done!

I TOLD YOU SO:

1. Jerry Sands and IDJ2 are both part time players for the Indianapolis Indians (Pirates AAA affiliate).  You use to make fun of me when I suggested they be traded.  It was too much to give up, blah, blah, blah.
  2. Carl Crawford was FAT!   I was with a BoSox fan who says he looks 25 pounds lighter.  In fact, he says he looks like a totally different player.  He is and I am glad.
  3. What is happening to this team is exactly what I worried about and told you.  You can’t buy heart!

UPDATE:

Allen Webster made his MLB debut yesterday and pitched 6 innings, allowed 5 hits, 2 ER, walked 1 and K’ed 5.  He allowed 2 HR.

custom-build

47 Responses to “Ned’s Monday To-Do List”

1. Idahoal says:

You are right on with your comments Mark. Sellers, Uribe and Cruz need to go. Keep Fife. He at least will battle you. I think he could make a good 5th starter. I would bring up Gordon and let him play. He needs to be the lead off batter and I would put him there. Move Crawford to the 2 hole. Either stinks right now. Maybe letting Castellanos play right field a little may set a fire under Either. If not, trade him. He has always been my favorite player, but I do not like what I see.

2. Pete M. says:

Mark, no argument here… I know it’s getting crowded on the plank, but how about Hairston for SVS… .433 & 6/20 cant hurt to try again!?!?
    C.C. A long time ago, I said he would exceed expectations and be a crowd pleasar…He seems to have gotten a second chance and digging it… I never knew he was so quick out of the hole… Fun…

“You can’t buy heart!”

Sure you can. You just have to have a great heart evaluator in your organization. Those guys are out there. And you know there are many who would love the opportunity to play for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Get Lasorda back out there looking. He’ll find them.

Crawford has heart. AGon has heart. Kershaw and Greinke have heart. Kemp has heart. Both Ellis’ have heart. Not sure about Ethier. (I know he has ego, but I am not certain about heart) And the rest of those guys? eh, who knows. They might have heart, just not a lot of talent.

It’ll come together.

Who said giving up Sands was too much? I was not sure about giving up both Webster and Rubby for that salary dump, but Sands looks like another Hee Seop LaBrock to me.

UPDATE ABOVE.

As long as Crawford is tearing it up at leadoff, I would not move him. I\’d bat Gordon #2 – less pressure too!

Good start by Webster. And I am ok with Gordon hitting second. As long as he puts the ball in play and gets on base, he could learn to be productive top of the order hitter.

• Dave says:

Mark many scouts had always told me how do you really measure heart ! you dont the game always chews ya up and spits ya out then it really digs in deeper to find whats really in guys , in the dodgers case right now its testing the wills within will see , always remember some are in the show with not much adversity per say thats why im a true believer of building from within pull it together not pull it apart thats may take, cause right now its a ship without a rudder let alone a engine working ! theyll come around but i think its self inflicted there thought process is being rethought let alone damage control, if you dont respect and truelly understand this game with whats at stake now, well you definitely dont respect this game of what its capable of doing thats why i love this game in all its splendor i respect the purity of what it is and how hard this game can be !

• Mark_Timmons says:

Dave,

I\’m ready to see Steve Ames (your son) in the show. He\’s a junkyard dog and I say that with admiration. I like him a lot! I\’m sure you do too. It\’s time. He\’s better than Josh Wall. He will get his shot soon!

• Dave says:

i appreciate that mark , steves still learning a new lineup animal and trying to get rythem after a left shoulder injury on the dl for a week but all these guys haft to figure it out , find that next gear , hone there craft from a pitching perspective you haft to attack, pound the zone and be careful and crafty command command command but be very agressive with confidence each level demands focused discipline, you learn from your mistakes its a process extremely rewarding but very challenging and yes being a bulldog thats willing to take on anyfight that comes your way helps, not cause hes my kid but that he is bulldog in college they called him hoss ! but being a former bulldog it fits him well !

5. KEN says:

18 games begins to provide evidence that can be relevant in the evaluation of players such as these garbage performances.

Hitting
    Fed Ex .000 4 AB
    Cruz .087 (I have given up on him)
    Hernandez .091 (Better than Fed EX)
    Schumaker .136
    Uribe .158 (At least better than Cruz)
    Sellers .174 (Gordon could do this)

Pitching
    Wall 10.12 (Demote to AAA for a LONG RELIEVER)
    Cappy 9.64
    Fife 7.71
    Howell 4.91
    Belly 4.91

Fielding
    Punto .875 (LOL)
    Schumaker .929 (Please add name to Spell Checker)
    Kemp .944
    Sellers .964 (Gordon could do this)

6. Quasimodo says:

If Gordon was brought back this soon (3 weeks) I’d really be shocked. I’m taking what we were told of him being rushed as the truthful reasons of him playing in the minors. There’s not a doubt in my mind he’ll return, just not so soon. It could be very good if he was on the roster tomorrow, but ‘could’ is not certain enough to make it a reality.

7. HemmorhoidRage says:

Mark agrees with me that it is the perfect time to bring up Gordon, give him a chance and let him try to push the issue of keeping the job. If he is lighting it up, makes a much better argument for That’s Headleeeee coming off the DL and filling the 3B hole. However, Dee either bats 1st or 8th, it’s that simple. Batting him 1st makes more sense due to his speed at the top of the order. Just imagine:

1 Gordon
    2 Crawford
    3 That’s Headleeee
    4 Gonzo
    5 Kemp
    6 Ethier
    7 M Ellis
    8 Other Ellis

Now that starts looking like a batting order that could put some runs up on the board. If you are one to disagree with Crawford batting 2nd, go reread your posts preaching the virtues of Crawford’s absolute value as a #2 hitter and how he would stink as a #1 hitter (wait, maybe not the best evidence since you were flat out wrong about him being a terrible #1 hitter).

REgardless of all that noise, Donnie Numbnuts still must go and take his checker board with him.

Yes, I agree, you can buy heart if you shop in the heart aisle.

8. SpokaneBob says:

I like that line up very much. If Kemp gets back to his old self I would switch Hanley and Matt. With the speed at the top with Dee, Carl and Matt, they will stress the opposing pitcher. Carl seems to make consistent contact and the Ellis boys can still contribute at the bottom of the line up. But this is the type of line up that will create excitement and score runs. We will get there! We just need to stay close and things will come together for us in the second half.

9. Bobbie17 says:

The problem with bringing up Gordon now is not with Gordon. It’s with Sellers. Do that and his Dodger career is over. It might be anyway. So I agree. I don’t think that position, including offense, can get much worse. Maybe his biggest contribution will be an increase in the energy level. Mets’ Matt Harvey is one of the best right now. If you want to see a Kershaw to be, watch his start. Maybe they will match up.

Not sure if you guys have seen, but Zach Lee has been excellent in each of his 4 starts this year so far in AA:

Game 1: 4ip, 4hits, 1er, 2bb, 5k
    Game 2: 7ip, 5hits, 1er, 1bb, 7k
    Game 3: 6ip, 5hits, 0er, 1bb, 3k
    Game 4: 6ip, 6hits, 1er, 2bb, 6k

Maybe he’s putting his stuff together and figuring it out

11. KEN says:

Gordon – A roll of the dice. As bad as things are going it is worth a roll of the dice.

Last 10 games, including 3 games without a hit

BA .410
    OBP .465
    SLG .538
    OPS 1.004

For the short 2013 season some really weird BA stats so far
    Home .216
    Night .222

B17 is right about Matt Harvey. He’s an ace in the making. Former #1 pick, so it’s not all that surprising. Hope Zach Lee is putting it together. Unless the Dodgers know something I don’t (and I’m sure they do), Lee should probably be allowed to continue at Chattanooga before they consider bringing him up.

I thought that the Dodgers probably wanted to keep Gordon down on the farm for at least 2 or 3 months before they considered bringing him up. And maybe that’s what they still think. But if they think he’s ready, then bring him up.

If everybody hits, I’m not sure it makes all that much difference where they hit. Hit Crawford 1 or 2, Gordon 1, 2, or 8, Kemp 3, 4, or 5, etc., etc., etc. I don’t think it matters right now. I just want people in the lineup who are hitting (getting on base and driving in runs). Castellanos????? I’m not sure Castellanos is the answer to anything. He just might be a AAAA player. Mostly, if Cruz, Sellers, and Uribe are replaced with players that hit, things should get better. Also if Kemp starts to hit, and hit with power.

This team has been playing lousy baseball. It has nothing to do with heart. Badger hit it on the nose with the players he mentioned. But even teams with heart go into slumps. This slump is early in the year, so it looks that much worse. I’ll remind those who don’t want to be reminded, it’s a long season.

13. Pete M. says:

Whether it’s in baseball, your love life or at the racetrack, a slump is a terrible thing. I will continue my maintain my ‘Hitters Will Hit’ mantra.I won’t brand anyone with lack of ‘Heart’ or ‘Choke’ after watching this game for years… Laziness, now there’s an easy pick up, case in point Dre’s lazy ass throw from RF recently… That was of those moments I had a Billy Martin in my living room and I’m too old for that…

Interesting news about Magill!!! Luv the kid, but too early I think…

• Dave says:

i agree pete, mattys a great kid and it is to early tools and drive and respect are there aaa will fine tune him but in these times ya never no whats comin down the pipe !!!!!

I believe the Dodgers DID want to keep Gordon on the farm for a few months Brooklyn. That had to be the plan. It might still be, but the Cruz/Sellers experiment has to be about over. I also think the team will indeed rush Hanley back. Even if he is only 70% that would be better than Cruz. Crawford, Gordon, Kemp at the top and Ellis, Ellis pitcher at the bottom looks much better to me than what we currently have. It may not mean a big difference, but it does send a message.

Venice and I got back from the Slots (interesting place) just in time to watch the gints comeback win against the snakes. Great for Venice. He was happy. But frankly I am damn tired of seeing them make these amazing comebacks. At least it was against a team that remains in front of us, so, that was the good news.

15. Pete M. says:

Badger, which mgr. used pitcher in #8 hole??? What about that wrinkle for the Blue??? Thus far Ryu aint too shabby a candidate…

LaRussa.

I sure wouldn’t want to be the poor schmuck that bats 9th in that order.

17. Pete M. says:

Smuck??? If we got around to it, one of the Ellis boys, Dee G. and Crawford would set a table nicely…

Actually, if Gordon were to bat at the bottom of the order, 9th wouldn’t be a bad idea. That would put him in front of Crawford, giving us back to back speedsters.

And Badger, I agree, if the Cruz/Sellers experiment is just about over, and the Dodgers think he’s ready, by all means bring up Gordon. I know we need Hanley in the lineup, especially with Kemp not hitting, but I also don’t want a repeat of last year when Kemp was brought back too early.

Hitting AFTER the pitcher is something nobody wants to do. Trust me on that one. LaRussa is the only guy I know that would do something like that. Did it work?

20. Quasimodo says:

Not always the case. I only say that because I’m always reminded of Drysdale when such topics come up. I know its weak to counter with something so far in the past, but there is an outside chance we have something close at this moment. Indeed, pretty wishful.

21. HemmorhoidRage says:

Man, times must be beyond hideous if we are relegated to discussing the option of batting our pitcher in the 8th hole. Please stop, isn’t there enough pain already? Seriously, can’t we find something that is at least remotely interesting?
    Wise man say: Just because you can post, doesn’t mean you should post.

22. Bball says:

Bills having tj. Bummer

23. Quasimodo says:

Point taken-oops! Couldn’t help it.

Bummer for Bills. Look for him to sign a minor league deal or heavily incentivized contract with the Dodgers next winter. I still think he should have had the surgery last summer. He could have saved everyone the time and be maybe ready for the post season in some role….

25. KEN says:

COTS and MSTI have Bills signed thru 2014.

Maybe the dodgers can play .500 through the All Star game and then storm the gates and become the Wild Card team.

If Fife can’t cut it, let’s see if Magill, followed by Zach Lee can!

Next year, I say we go into spring training with 9 starting pitchers. Unlike the show, 8 clearly wasn’t enough

Guess we can expect Bills back in the second half of next year. Whether it’s in the rotation or in the bullpen will depend on circumstances at that time. Not sure I would call this a “bummer”. It’s more along the lines of “expected”. Can’t believe that Fife is the final move. Probably something else coming.

Meanwhile, in really important news it’s reported that McCourt came out of the Dodgers sale with $1.278 billion in his pocket after taxes. Who said that honesty is the best policy?

Yesterday I went up to Glen Canyon Dam and read the history of it. What a remarkable piece of American history. That was built when we used to actually make great things in this country. We don’t do stuff like that anymore. Frank McCourt is a glaring example of what it is we do here now – make millions and millions for failing. People make money out of money, even when they drive businesses into bankruptcy. Take a business, carve it up, throw people overboard, then sell of the pieces.

There is something very wrong about a guy like Frank McCourt coming out on top.

I hope we never have to hear from that cockroach again.

29. KEN says:

Ned’s Tuesday To DO List

One reserve hitting above .158. Ned work on this.

30. KEN says:

The Mets appear to not have a long reliever so this game, and possibly series, could get interesting.

7 innings, 5 for 21, 1 for 5 WRISP.

Yep, that’s our team all right.

Mark Ellis is one of the few bright spots on this team. I wonder when it is he will fall out of the boat. It’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of time.

Actually those numbers through 6 innings.

33. Quasimodo says:

M. Ellis has never failed the eye test with me.

34. KEN says:

Good game. Showing some overall improvement.

No doubt that Mark Ellis won’t continue hitting like he is. But likely he’ll eventually settle into being .260 – .270 with sound fundamentals and good defense. Not horrible.

But just a Mark Ellis is likely to drop off some, so too we can expect Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier to pick it up, and Hanley Ramirez will add something to the lineup.

Good win tonight, especially since we have Lilly going against Harvey tomorrow night. But you never know. Maybe Lilly shuts down the Mets and the Dodgers manage to scratch out some runs against Harvey. Besides, if Kershaw can falter, so can Harvey.

Kemp’s double at the end of the game was encouraging. Good to see him drive the ball to right center. Kemp’s been pulling far too much. He needs to get back to hitting the ball to center and right center consistently. Maybe Mattingly is right, and Kemp developed some bad habits while hurt last year. Things like that generally take time to overcome.

Ellis will do what he always does. Not difficult to see that. Not many have career years at age 36. Though…. there was Barry Bonds. He peaked late. Ellis will hit .265 with a .325 OBP. The question for me is, how many games is he going to get in.

Yes, good win. All wins are good. Two in a row. That’s HUGE for this team. Could be the start of something. Something good.

37. Dave says:

Badger theres a fine line, theres a process for bringing guys in, they really dont understand fully whats being done with them there nieve to the system. Now i have my inside line on how guys think and how guys are percieved to be it exists.ill talk about webby amazing stuff, kid with alot of pride talked with him a few times but he didnt understand the system and was frustrated alot, he just needed better feedback and a confidence booster and a shot soxs gave it to him if i had a grand to bet on webby having a long career as a strong career in the bigs id do it in a heart beat his stuff is pure but it was purely a evaluation of need and timing and a decision made, good for him the sox gave him the chance the point im making is his heart was there always just not understood from both perspectives happens to alot of guys , everybody has a opinion this is not a easy business by all means but build from within , yes vets are seasoned but theres a fine line on what a guy is really capable of for sure its a very tricky business ya win some ya loose some its just the way it is, now rubby electric stuff no doubt but will the command come, itll take longer or may never come theres gems around every corner ya never no true heart is the key to this game ill take all heart guys over talent every day thats my way of thinking but you need a balance of both and a leader on and off the field in a player and a manager and respect in the heart its a tough business all the right pieces haft to come together the right way, is dollars the answer ? maybe but id lean from within and trust the sources from within! if the page is standard strait across the board thats a special organization! and rare theres always a tone of factors ! i treully believe kasten and crew felt good about there decisions and confident in them but its like playing craps well we started with a nice bank role but weve been cleaned out thats the risk you take , theyve moved to a different table to change there luck just to survive but i dont understand the foundation that worries me just my thoughts nothing else its to early theyll come around time tells all ! baseball ya gotta love it ! i will say this i have another in the rays system total different approach very very interesting system amazing what they do with what they have ya haft to respect it just my take !

38. Dave says:

im on the fence on dee i like him but i see the dodgers point he plays loose but sloppy fundementals needs to tighten his defense and approach at the plate hes close but just needs to focus better lazy approach on things thats what i see but show might lean him out !

I think I followed that.

It will take some time to get our system fixed. With the last ownership all over the map on what it thought the plan was, the results are very mixed.

I agree with you on Gordon. He hasn’t played this game very long, but the raw skills are there. He hit, and actually hit well, at every level he has been, so I think all he needs is time and hard work and he should fit with the big club. I think a lot depends on how much he wants it.

As for what we gave up to Boston, I don’t understand it. They were clearly dumping salary, and NOBODY else wanted what they were offering (other than myabe AGon) so why did we have to give up good arms? I believe it’s just another example of Jed’s work.

I trust in Kasten and the new ownership. The payroll is not what should be focused on. It will go down. What should be looked at is the general theme of what they are trying to do. The system is already much healthier than it was under Frankie McCoursechange. In another year, we will have some players in the top 20 or with the big club.

39. Rob says:

If we make it through all of these injuries and still make the post season this team will win it all.

40. Dave says:

im sorry badger i get ahead of myself, on thought and typing i need lots of patience im a pecker never was my thing big hands and lame ass excuse for presentation. I trust in kasten but im still not sure what the true game plan is across the board system wide , yes as for webby and rubby i thought that was a huge hit and yes that was a strong ned sell to kasten for seasoned needs , but where are they going will they keep up the buy and try approach or build strong within from the solid core and hold, there was no investment in those two they were disposable i ? that, evaluation of guys vary greatly within, its a opinion gig that seems to change on the fly i like strong commitments of follow throughs on strong potentials be consistent get the player to believe in your system its a tricky business for sure politics exist and you no and i no any organization hast to get the workers to buy into the system and trust it. will see its early this was a buy and try , maybe im nieve to a system that is what it is , and maybe thats the true percentages that yields the odds , but ya sure see young ones thrive alot in new climates breath of fresh air for opportunity !