Just Two Things…

1. As I have said before, $220 million guarantees nothing.   This season has the potential of being a train wreck!
  2. To blame Sundays’ loss on Mattingley is really silly.  Beckett induced a weak ground ball that had eyes.  League could have gave up a 2-run shot.  You don’t know.  What we know is that pitch to Goldschmidt was effective.  The hitters cost the Dodgers that game, not Mattingly!  You can’t win if you don’t score.  Duhhhhh!  Quit second-guessing.  It’s ugly and makes you look stupid.

OurPeopleMakeTheDifference

110 Responses to “Just Two Things…”

1. KEN says:

One Thing … Relief pitchers – 19 walks in 29.2 innings

2. RogerCraig says:

I do not always agree with Mattingly but it is stupid to second guess. That seeing-eye hit was luck. If League or Jansen came in and gave up a 2-run homer, the second guessers would also have blamed it on Donnie. Second guessers are never wrong. I too despise them.

3. Jason says:

It’s sad that the Padres have 3 wins on the year and 2 are against the Dodgers. These games add up…

Also, I vote that Cruz should have to do 50 push-ups in the batter’s box for every pop-up, just like the movie Major League.
    In one month Luis would be ripped.

4. Idahoal says:

The Dodgers just cannot hit in the clutch. This is a repeat of last year. Either last night had every opportunity to break the game wide open and failed. I have been a Either fan for many years. Now I am starting to feel like he should be traded.

Billingsly needs to be able to throw his other pitches for a strike. All he had going in the last two games is his fast ball.

You are right, money does not buy a championship. I thought the fight in San Diego would bring them together, but it has not. I quit watching after the bull pen gave up the lead and went to bed.

About Sunday, you still miss the point. But, why keep saying the same thing over and over if you won’t listen. I was there. I saw it with my own eyes. I watched the replay, even Bob Brenly, the dbacks announcer was bumfuzzled by Mattingly’s move, or rather lack of it.

al’s right. This is a game the team should have been up to win.

And I say again mr craig, it ain’t second guessing when you are looking right at it. Second guessing comes later. That’s what you guys are doing. Despise all you want. Drink the hatorade, I really don’t care what you think about me. I know what I saw in the 9th inning on Saturday. Also what I saw was a team that can’t score when they need to.

About yesterday. We can’t beat the lowly Padres, at home, on Jackie Robinson day. Pathetic.

About this 200 million dollar team being a train wreck. You could be right about that. It’s early. I have a feeling we are going to be hearing that a lot for a while.

6. the truth hurts says:

All of these games mean SOMETHING.

They may not mean everything but they certainly do not mean nothing.

7. Pete M. says:

Discouraging last night…Donnie trying to plug a few offensive leaks and now the pen is starting to spring a few. Baseball. the b—- can be cruel at times…
    Badger, this outta get your heart started…Is it time to throw Dee in there for a week or two!?!? We lose D but it can’t hurt unless/until they put up a screen behind first or equip Agon with shin guards…

8. Quasimodo says:

I think we’ll see Puig in a Dodger uniform @ Orioles. It is a DH game and while ‘I’m 2nd guessing’ I’d like to think the shot callers are at least interested how the kid might boost the team. Also the 19th marks that 20 day window. What do you all think?

9. Quasimodo says:

Marks the end of 20 day window, rather.

10. HemmorhoidRage says:

The biggest issue is Kemp, he bats third and literally can’t even make contact with the ball, he ain’t even fouling off pitches, he is flat missing the ball. So is that from a bad shoulder or something else. I’ve had shoulder injury that required surgery, in fact the entire shoulder was rebuilt completely, at the same age Kemp is, I played sports following and a rebuilt shoulder doesn’t change your hand-eye coordination, it may affect your strength and some of your mechanics but… Kemp is the key to the problem, I’m not even talking about him being the key to the solution. He has to at least make a decent out once in a while for the team to just tread water, as it is, he is really just drowning us with very very very poor at bats. Unless they deal with him, they ain’t going anywhere.

11. Pete M. says:

Quas…What about the options scenario for the future??? Of course heel, he’s gonna a Dodger starting OF next year I’d bet. Where??? TBD…
    Back to your question, it would be cool, 3 game swing, but lets not get our hopes too high…MLB pitching has a humbling affect on young hitters!!!

12. Quasimodo says:

I’m certain we could all agree it wouldn’t harm us to send down one of those relievers, who had a liking to walk 1st batters faced, last night, for 3 games. So OF and or DH hardly would do harm for the future.

13. Pete M. says:

HRage – had the same feeling (not hitting) about Agon at the start of the year. Maybe by you saying this, Bison comes unhinged and laugh about it later!!! A guy can hope can’t he???

14. Reggie says:

DFA Cruz. He’s a pretender.

I would trade Kemp for Profar and Beltre… If Texas would.

AGon, who went through a similar surgery, has already told Kemp it’s time to cut loose. Kemp has been cleared by all the doctors, so the problem is not his shoulder, it’s his head. He may now have himself convinced he can’t hit it. Confidence is a tricky thing. Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you are right. It would appear Kemp thinks he can’t. Drop him in the order until he thinks he can.

Those who had doubts about Cruz may have been right. It would appear he is back to being the .235 hitter he was before he had that good few weeks last year. He is not the answer. Never was.

This team can still put it together, but it’s going to require Kemp and Ramirez to do it.

It’s a long season. It’s still early.

16. DodgerDude says:

A second-guesser’s job is to criticize or question actions or decisions of someone often after the results of those actions or decisions are known.

What if Brandon League threw two wild pitches? The fact is that Beckett gave up a dink hit and got beat because the Dodgers didn’t score a single run. I have no problem with Donnie leaving Beckett in. Second guessers are never wrong, but Beckett made a good pitch that became a lucky hit.

“Mattingly didn’t do anything wrong in my opinion. Only second guessers say he did.”

Not ONLY second guessers dude, so do FIRST guessers, which is what I consider myself. And, it’s what former manager Bob Brenly said as well, BEFORE Montero was walked and the doink won the game.

I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em and I am not afraid to call ‘em when I see them involving players, coaches, managers and umpires. Mattingly made a mistake by not having a pitcher warmed up in the bullpen. Why do you think he walked out to have a word with the ump, then went back in to the dugout, and came back out again. He knew damn well he should have had somebody (long guy Cap) warmed up ready to go in case his starter, the guy who hasn’t gone 7 innings since some time last year, should falter after 95+ pitches.

Why is so hard for some of you guys? The guy made a bonehead move – it happens. Even Casey Stengal made a bone head move now and then.

Having said that, I agree that you won’t win any without scoring a run, but for crying out loud people, that is why we have Capuano down in the bullpen (warming up after it was too late). He may have been able to come in and extend the game by getting Montero out and then walking Goldschmidt etc etc. Baseball 101 boys. Take the freakin’ class.

• Bobby says:

You can keep giving your opinion Badger, in multiple ways, but most of us here disagree with you.

We don’t blame that loss on Beckett getting beat by a weak ground ball. We blame our pathetic offense who cant get a damn clutch hit to save our lives. I think we’re hitting like .160 with runners in scoring position.

OK, disagree. And I will disagree and give evidence why I believe it was an oversight. Just like former manager Brenly did on the day of the game.

“It was a no-brainer,” the manager said. “here was no question. It was his game. That was electric today.”

No brainer? (got that right) It was his game, right to the end. Correct? That is what you think too right Bobby? Right dude? Right Mark? Right mr craig?

Then I ask you…… if it was his game to the end….. it was his game to win or lose…… no brainer……then why was Capuano rushing to warm up after Pollack doubled?

Baseball 101 guys. I not only took the class, I taught it.

Maybe this season will be like the Mets, when then became the miracle Mets –

2013 will be the year that the terrible over-paid Dodgers, became the miracle Dodgers.

19. Quasimodo says:

Y’all see them talking about Kemp’s swing on MLB Tonight? Kinda scary to think that he might not get it back right. It was pointed out that he was wincing towards the end of his swing. So it appears its more of a problem than just in his head.

I’d be wincing too if I took that many whiffs and looked as bad as he has looked.

Matt Kemp’s ‘habits’ no cause for concern

CBSSports.com Fantasy — So Matt Kemp is batting .196 through 13 games and, predictably, those who drafted him are freaking out. Dodgers manager Don Mattingly only added fuel to the fire Monday by suggesting his star outfielder may have developed some bad habits during his recovery from shoulder surgery. Granted, he offered no insight as to what those habits might be, but he said they were bad ones. Scary stuff, I know. Look, pretty much every slump is caused by one bad habit or another, whether it’s favoring an unreported injury, pulling off pitches or refusing the work the count. In the end, a hitter is only limited…

8 hours ago

21. HemmorhoidRage says:

Like I said a few days ago, Kemp’s problem is between his ears. It’s pretty damn obvious. He has no energy exuding from him when he walks up with a bat in his hands, he actually looks like he isn’t looking forward to the at bat. Just watch him stroll up there, two years ago, he had a spring in his step, this year, he’s doesn’t have a spring in his step, he has that spring up his ass. Sit him down, let him watch a series or two, I’m serious, he needs something to motivate him. Go to his house, remove all the press clippings from his mirror and his framed magazine covers from his walls.
    It’s the Rhianna season all over again, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS, KEMP! QUIT LOOKING AT YOUR BANK BALANCE AND START PLAYING BALL, SHITE!!!

My mistake. Evidently it wasn’t Cappy warming up down there, it was Paco.

“Beckett hung up another zero in the bottom of the eighth, and Andre Ethier walked with two outs in the top of the ninth before inexplicably getting caught stealing with A.J. Ellis up. Mattingly allowed Beckett to go out for the bottom of the ninth, but that’s when things really got odd. Beckett induced Martin Prado to ground out before allowing a double from A.J. Pollock. Mattingly sent Schumaker to left field, ostensibly as part of a double switch, went to the mound… and then left Beckett in anyway.

Now, as impressive as Crawford has been, you get the impulse to have Schumaker’s stronger arm out there with a man on second. But it sure looked for all the world that Paco Rodriguez hadn’t been warming up until Beckett put a man on, and that left Mattingly without a choice about leaving Beckett in. Miguel Montero walked intentionally to set up the double play, and then Paul Goldschmidt singled.

btw, for what it’s worth, and not much probably, Montero was only “intentionally” walked after Becket missed on three pitches. He tried to hit outside corner with heat, and barely missed going 2-0, then threw a splitter into the dirt, forcing an intentianal pass at that point. By then it was too late. No right hander had warmed up to face Goldschmidt. So, yeah, by that point it was indeed Beckett’s game to win or lose.

And while were at it, maybe one of you Donnie Baseball supporters can explain that double switch made in the 9th. It looked like he was about to bring in the reliever, only to look up and see there was nobody ready. What was that switch all about?

Hanley was originally supposed to be out till mid-May, but he’s already taking grounders and BP!

He thinks he’ll be back pretty soon. Maybe he could be our DH this weekend in Baltimore?? See how the thumb is?

Unless the Dodgers make a trade or bring up a minor leaguer == the DH slot for this weekend would be from among the many talented bench bats . . .

Uribe (looking for a hanging curve).
    Schumaker all 5’10 & 195 of him.
    Hairston all 5’10 & 195 of him.
    or even: Nick Punto all 5’9 & 195 of him.

25. KEN says:

Lee could pitch better than this.

26. Jason says:

This game is a loss.
    Unbelievable.

27. Rob says:

My MLB feed has went to crap the past two days and this team has fell apart.

28. KEN says:

Cool

I see 4 posts and then after I write a post I see all of them.

NEDDY WHERE IS THE LONG RELIEVER THAT WE KNEW THAT THE LAD NEEDS

29. the truth hurts says:

The Dodgers, 2nd worst team in runs scored now trails the Miami Marlins by only 6 runs…..

I watched the first inning and then went back and sorted my medical pills for the next three weeks . . . gave me something to do . . .

Then back and it is even worse.

Has anyone else noticed. These are not your father’s Dodgers. No Jackie, no Roy, no Carl, no Duke, no Pee Wee, no Gil, no Randy, Sandy no, no Carl, no Don, no . . .

But we do have: Luis, Mark, Jerry, Nick skip, Justin, Juan, Carl, Andre, Matt, JP, Brandon, Paco, Josh . . .

The owners box must be, be . . . probably empty as they are on the phone looking for ball players.

OK, the guys will turn this thing around soooooooooon.

Oh, do you think teams will be standing in line for Capuano now??

If the Dodgers were on the trading stock market — the stock would be dropping big over the last week. With the flag: Sell, Sell, Sell.

Like of like rhymes with: Smell, Smell, Smell.

32. Bball says:

Donnie has to at least swap Agon and Kemp

It’s early.

34. Bball says:

I just hope it’s early doesn’t turn into its getting late

35. KEN says:

Still just 4 posts

Time to take the stress off of the chokers

1. Crawford
    2. Ellis
    3. Gonzalex
    4. Ellis
    5. Ethier
    6. Uribe
    7. Kemp
    8. Sellers
    9. Pitcher

36. KEN says:

I am feeling a new type of BLUE!

37. 1000OaksDave says:

I’ve seen enough. Crappy has sucked since last year after the allstar break. Other teams I think know that. That’s why we couldn’t trade him. Now he is injured I guess. Ok. Don’t hate the guy but what has he done for us lately? Doubt Lilly is the answer but we’ll have to give him a shot. Had great numbers until injured as we all know but injured he was and boy did he disappear. I think Fife may be our end of the rotation savior this year. It’s the middle of the rotation I’m worried about. After Kershaw??? Let’s hope Ryu is all that. Actually, I’m pinning a lot of hope on him…nothing like hope and change, eh guys? Almost time to give Puig a look…at least by the interleague games coming up. Gee, didn’t someone else post that? Orioles series? Time to call up some farm talent don’t you think?

In the meantime, we can’t even play competitively with the padres. OUCH

It’s April 16, and I already have no desire to watch this team.

That’s bad.

39. Rob says:

Let’s be patient because this time last year we were riding high with a great record but fizzled at the end. Hopefully it works in reverse this year.

I saw this on Dodgers.com message board. No clue if true, but still wouldn’t mind hearing you all’s thoughts:

Los Angeles, CA (AP) 20:16. Let the rumors begin.

With this lackluster beginning to an exponentially high season of expectations, the Dodgers continue to flounder and plod along, unable to produce victories against poor competition. Tonight, another throttling at the hands of a mediocre nemesis. The crew from down south were expected to face the wrath of this vengeful Dodgers group – or, maybe screaming is the extent of their vengeance. Captain Mediocre is steering this uninspired collection of high paid players with essentially no adjustments. With his offense unable to move runners over, much less produce runs, Captain Mediocre continues to be unimaginative in his game plan. No line up order changes, no sitting of the overpaid egos, no attempt at small ball. Nothing. No shakeup at all – even Ted Lilly dictatorial into what and how his pitching future will proceed, the tail wags this flea bit mutt for now.

Tony LaRussa has expressed interest in this blue challenge and is eagerly awaiting that phone call from Dodgers Mahogony Row. I’ve heard preliminary overtures have been made, can this be true?

Stay tuned folks, change will happen quick. Please.

41. jerry says:

SAD SAD SAD SAD

42. Voldomer says:

I wonder if Kemp has had his eyes checked recently. This is serious, not a joke.

I suggested LaRussa here the first week of the season. He would be a dramatic change, but he gets results.

43. Gonzo says:

Mattingly’s seat is getting a little hotter. If he does go down, I expect to see Wallach take over on an interm basis for the rest of the season. If Sciosia gets fired, you can bet he’ll don the blue Uniform again unless Wallach kicks ass, which is possible.

It’s only April.

Captain Mediocre. Fits.

I could live with LaRussa.

Attendance – 35,898. 64% capacity. People are already turning away.

Did I mention it’s only April?

Something is definitely wrong with Kemp. Now, he has only had 54 at bats, and I usually wait for 100 to make a judgment, but, I think we can all believe our eyes on this one. He is flailing away. McGwire needs to get him to shorten that swing. McGwire has a lot of work to do with a few other guys as well.

This team has sucked the ruby begonia, but fact is, we are at .500 and only 3 games out. We are one good series from being back in this thing…… and it’s still April. Will be April for another couple of weeks. Not time to panic. Time to be a bit bored, but, not time to panic.

I bet ownership is considering a change in manager . . . they are just waiting to see a bit more. Donnie is a nice guy, but as Leo (former Dodger manager once is reported saying . . . “Nice guys finish last.”

There is too much money invested to have this un-inspired play. Injuries are a part of the game. Fights on the field are a (sometimes) part of the game. BUT teams are supposed to rise to the occasion and show what they are made of. Right now the Dodgers just cannot do this.

Voldy, I agree with you about an eye’s check. I always wonder when a good to great hitter has a prolonged problem getting wood on the ball — that eyes need to be checked.

Badger — on McGwire and hitting. Modern day players like to use lighter bats for a faster bat swing. Ruth and many of the hitters of the 1930s 1940s used heaver bats — and they had different results. Higher averages, RBIs, and mucho HRs.

I also believe they had fewer Ks.

But this teams needs look at the minors and make a change or two. Wall does not seem to be helping. Mark and I met him in Spring Training one day. Nice guy, but watching him — he does not know where his pitches are going.

So we try again tonight.

46. beckett_rockett says:

it’s early season, and the dodgers need to fix some holes.

1) Uribe is better than Cruz, defensively and offensively.

Cruz’s problem is so simple. He stands away from the plate too

much and his open stance is extreme, so every pitcher attack

outside, and he can’t reach out to. and that bad habit results

in bad balance.

for the fix, cruz need to go to the minor, and Dee should be back.

2) For the life of the line-up, they should call up Puig. and give

Kemp some time to get back.

3) Pitching is problem too. They need Guerra and Fife now, and

healthy Lily, Capuano.

Reasonable assessments rockett.

Without our #3 hitter and with the scramble of bench players that are being shuffled in and out of our lineup, we are not much of an offensive threat. The real problem as I see it is hitting WRISP. Why is this team so bad at that? And it seems to me we had the same problem last year. We are currently outhitting our opponents .259 to .234 but our RISP is still last in the league. If were just middle of the pack we would likely be in first place. Our avg at home is .235. That is absurd. On the road it’s .285.

We need Kemp and Ramirez to do what it is they do. Kemp needs to get it figured out. And as much as I want to be able to back our skipper, I got issues with him. Where is the fire? I watch the dbacks play and it’s like a different universe from the Dodgers. Those guys are flying all over the field and really seem to enjoy playing the game of baseball. The Dodgers look drugged. Fire is an individual thing, I know. Some guys have it, some don’t. But it would appear, at times, Mattingly doesn’t know what he is doing. Is it possible the players know that? Is it possible Mattingly just cannot light a fire under these guys?

Or is it more likely we just don’t have the hitters we thought we did?

I really don’t know. But, I did say it would take our first team players all playing well to win those 96 games. Our bench never looked very good to me. Our pitching obviously is not as good as it looked on Opening Day.

A lot of questions about this team.

47. Steve says:

“42″ Just another Hollywood movie afraid of the truth in a person’s life

48. KEN says:

Lilly should pitch another rehab game because he will not be needed for at least another week with 2 days off in the next 6 days.

But he dodgers need a long reliever. Send Cappy to the DL today and bring up Magoo, Che or Barney.

Just read this over at Dodgers.com

“We’re kind of fortunate that we had an excess of starters.”

Really Don? I think any starter at AAA can come up and immediately do better than Cap did. And Lilly is not exactly blowing them away at whatever minor league club he is currently at. Also, all that talk about “the wind” just sounds lame as hell to me. You guys can’t hit a lick and his nothing to do with the wind blowing at the ball park. It has to do with the wind blowing between your ears.

Matt Kemp a day off? I don’t think so. Matt Kemp in the 7 hole until he figures it out. Sitting on the bench won’t help him. He needs to fight this by shortening his stroke, laying off pitches out of the strike zone and punishing strike one down the middle of the plate. I swear it looks like pitchers are just no longer afraid of him. “Here…. hit this…. I dare you.”

Haven’t seen 42 but it wouldn’t surprise me if it had little to do with actual history. It’s Hollywood. Unless it’s a documentary, it’s about creating money out of thin air and thinner scripts.

50. RogerCraig says:

NBC Los Angeles reported this:

Mattingly said he never considered pulling Beckett in the late innings.

“It was a no brainer,” he said. “Really, it wasn’t even hard. There was no question there. It was his game. He was still throwing the ball really good in the eighth. He was throwing the ball good there.

“At that point, he’d pitched so good, and he’d really had no real battles all day long. It wasn’t like he was having to pitch out of a jam three or four times. He was pretty much rolling along.”

There is obviously a difference of opinion between Badger and everyone else. Had Donnie did it the way Badger suggested, we have no idea what would have happened. The pen may have blew the game and I suspect Badger would have had something to say about that.

We don’t know what would have happened if Beckett was pull, but we DO KNOW what happened when he stayed in: he gave up a squib hit. That’s probably better than the pen might have done.

It’s an opinion, but mine is a lot different from Badgers.

“To quote Bob Brenley doesn’t help your case as he is not regarded as a strategist in the least.” r craig

Any credibility you were trying to establish, which is none in my book, was lost by that quote.

I already went through my response to what Mattingly said – it makes no sense. You must have a man ready in the pen. Again, simple stuff really, I don’t care what excuse he gives. And that move to put Schumaker in? For his arm? Nonsense. It was a “no brainer” as in Mattingly had his head up his ass. I would listen to Bob Brenly before I would listen to anyone who calls himself “Roger Craig” – a mediocre pitcher and the manager of the midgets.

Mmoving on… what will be the next bonehead move this guy makes?

Not sure how the roster works.

That is, if the GM does their thing, and tells the manager, “I am making this or that change . . . deal with it.” OR, does the manager say, “You have to make a change/s now, and get me a roster that . . .” OOOORRRR does the owner say, “Ned, I want you to do this and that . . . tell Donnie what to expect.”

But someone is asleep at the wheel right now.

52. RogerCraig says:

How is calling yourself a short-legged omnivore that lives in a hole and has a belligerent personality any better than a mediocre pitcher? Is it because you are a member of the weasel family? Actually, genetic evidence tends to indicate you may be of the skunk family. Or maybe you are meaning it as your proclivity to harass, pester, annoy or nag. Either way, RogerCraig is my name, not my moniker.

Not meant to harrass. I am doing it to educate. Obviously you don’t know much about baseball. You don’t even know who Bob Brenly is.

And you don’t know a damn thing about badgers.

“Quit second-guessing. It’s ugly and makes you look stupid.”

So Mark, you think Bob Brenly, an All Star Major League catcher and World Series winning manager is also stupid? You’re with craig on this? hmmm Interesting.

Maybe I am being too hard on mr craig. Maybe he never played the game and doesn’t really know who Roger Craig is…. or heck, maybe his name IS Roger Craig. Maybe he doesn’t know that in 12 years of pitching, Roger Craig only had a positive WAR once…. and that was 0.2. Maybe he doesn’t know that he managed both the Padres and the gints and maybe he doesn’t know a thing about that Hum Baby crap that nauseated every Dodger fan from Long Beach California to Long Beach New York.

if so… sorry dude…my mistake…………

waiting for a Dodger move…… Got a feeling something is about to happen.

I have to agree that you might be a member of the skunk family.

;)

Look, I am fine with the non-move by Donnie. The Dodgers problems may be Donnie but in my opinion, that was not a big deal. His failure is in their inability hit. I think his days are numbered.

Oh… Brenley ain’t a rocket scientist.

56. KEN says:

BLAH BLAH BLAH

57. KEN says:

DonnieT-Ball did the right thing to let Gopher stay in and pitch but there should have been someone up in the bullpen just because you never know when the player’s “ZONE” will end. Beckett was pitching great but he had not pitched that well or long into a game in a very long time. Doing the right thing for the wrong reason is still wrong.

“I have to agree that you might be a member of the skunk family.

;)

Good one.

“Brenley ain’t a rocket scientist.”

no sh*t. What he is is a World Champion MLB Manager. And I doubt a rocket scientist would have a clue what the heck we are talking about.

Yeah, the problem is our bats. But Donnie f’d up in that inning and I think it’s ok if someone points it out. Even if he decided to let a right hander, with 100 pitches thrown, pitch to a top of the order left hander with the winning run on second, he should have had both a left hander and a right hander ready to go in the 9th. He did not.

hey ken, nice input. At least we know you are reading other folks posts.

I am sure Jed is looking around. His best option may be the shortstop at AAA.

58. HemmorhoidRage says:

Wow, I’m not in the middle of this trading of insults with Badger, will wonders never cease. RogerCraig, Badger’s report card always read “Does not play well with others” so don’t take it personally (wow, I probably will have Badger going after me now, lol. Well actually, pretty accurate prediction, but we will see if he can control himself and ODness, lol).

Look here’s the deal, Beckett gets an out, Mattingly genius, Becket gives up hit or whatever, Mattingly an idiot. Personally Mattingly isn’t going to cut for so many other reasons than that judgement call.

Missed the point rhoidal one.

It’s not about leaving or not leaving Beckett in. It’s about not having anyone ready. Did you notice that after the double by Pollock, Paco jumped up and starter throwing in a hurry? uh, too late. Montero is up NOW. So what does Donnie do? He tries to delay by going out to talk to an ump, going back to dugout, bringing in what looked like a double switch, only Schumaker goes in and Paco ain’t ready yet so…..

I am not going to explain this again. You either get it, or you don’t. There was nobody warmed up in the bullpen for the bottom of the 9th. THAT is the issue I am talking about. Beckett had thrown near 100 pitches, and yeah, he was doing fine. But so are a lot of pitchers – right up to the point they run out of gas. Donnie should have had somebody ready. Brenly thought so, a friend of mine who is a college pitching coach thought so, Mike at MSTI thought so, the Dodger fan sitting behind me at the game thought so…. it appears the only people who don’t think so are right here at LADodgertalk.

oh and roid… one more thing…

“Personally Mattingly isn’t going to cut for so many other reasons than that judgement call.”

I think you may be right about that. This team does not appear to be ready to play and that has to go to the skipper.

Ned better start watching closer, the waver wire, that is, what other teams are discarding — because some of those players have to be better than some of the players the Dodger have.

You know, I think we saw this the last two months of last season. This is getting old.

Did you piss someone off again Mark? Time for a new blog.
    I asked to start a contest for when Donnie boy would get fired last week but no one replied. I’ll stand by my original guess of April 17th. After we roll over and play dead tonight management will realize if you can’t fire the team you can fire the skipper. This isn’t entirely on him but his style is not getting across to motivate the troops.

61. Quasimodo says:

I think so as well, Badger. Actually its pretty strange nobody was warming up. But I’m glad you’re at an end of going into it further as tonight ends the series after that one. Giving the series to Padres was pretty bad and we all will feel disgraced if this team give them a sweep. Blame goes towards many directions. Its nothing short of sick.

Tim Wallach, a trade for Scioscia [mentioned here earlier] or who would you like to see man the helm?

Wow, but the player development of the Dodgers in AA and AAA must be really bad.

If they do not have a player or two or three that are 1) as good as 2) even better than — to replace some of the following: Luis Cruz, Justin Sellers, and even Juan Uribe.

And — Only if Mark Ellis or Jerry Hairston were injured for a two week trip to the DL.

What is needed now is a spark, and change in attitude, some needed blue blood.

The stats show that Van Slyke is creaming the ball.

Pedersn and Puig are also raking it. These are just a start on names.

64. HemmorhoidRage says:

Mattingly isn’t going to get it done as the manager/leader of this team. He is probably a wonderful coach who gets along side a player, but he isn’t a leader of a team. It was excused in ST, but it is obvious now that the season has started off with a sputter.

I say Mattingly survives into June and then if a major change in attitude isn’t perceived he is gone. I have to admit Tony LaRussa does interest me. He is a proven winner that players preform for.

Badger, I didn’t expect you to get my point, but others did and do. I’m good with you so no battle being sought with you, just thought I should let RogerCraig in on your game so he could let it roll off his back and not get uptight with you. See I’m just a peacemaker, didn’t want your OD or whatever you call it, affect the group. Peace and love my brother.

You should let Roger Craig in on my game?

My game? Nice. Yeah, peace.

My “game” was to explain what it is I SAW at the game I ATTENDED. Dodger fans at the game, and baseball people I respect seemed to understand. And, it doesn’t appear I am changing anyone’s opinion here on having nobody warmed up for the 9th inning in a 0 0 tie. Strange, but I’ll move on from that point.

After watching Mattingly stumble around with my own eyes, I will be watching him and the team more closely. I stated emphatically that I wasn’t impressed with the back-ups, in fact I felt we had at least two back-ups in our starting lineup. But I still felt with the sticks we had, and the pitching we had, this team would win 96. Well, a couple of those sticks are not there and Cruz and Sellers are even worse than I predicted they would be. And, with Greinke gone for a while, and our pen erratic, the pitching doesn’t appear to be where I thought it was either.

I’ll wait until we are at full strength. But if after that Mattingly doesn’t have these guys motivated, I will beat the drum for his dismissal.

65. KEN says:

Still Just Four Things

66. KEN says:

Not surprised at all that Donnie T-Ball did not have anyone warming up in the bullpen behind Beckett. That is the Dodger Way. Now that the only long reliever, and temporary #5 starter, is going on the DL, do the LAD call up another pitcher?, NO they call up another catcher, I guess because they figure that the relievers are so tired that they will be throwing a lot of wild pitches and the 2 catchers will be so tired trying to catch those balls that they will need to be replaced. Go figure!

I am having trouble figuring this team out Ken. I think it might be a good idea to just sit back and watch this unfold. Who knows, maybe Kasten is behind all this and his genius will work it all out.

If it were me, I wouldn’t hesitate to add a little speed and power to this lineup and unload one or two of the many back-ups we have on this squad. Without Matt Kemp and Hanley, we could use somebody with some pop. And since Kemp is not getting on base, there is nobody but Crawford that runs faster than a 5 flat 40.

It’s early.

But, any time now. This is the worst team in the National League we are playing.

67. Anonymous says:

Orioles next

You didn’t need to convince me. I was watching the game from my sofa and couldn’t believe myself. Like you said even Bob Brenly was dumbfounded. Sure Beckett had pitched great and a complete game would be wanted but since we left our bats home you might want to be ready to plug the dike.

Wade Miley sailing along against the Yankees but with a man on base in the 7th Gibson gets Sipp up in the pen.

Now why in the world would he do that? Miley has only thrown 90 pitches and has shut them out so far.

70. Bball says:

Badger. Your right ok. There it’s solved now we talk about something else

71. Bball says:

Caps says his injury is from the fight in San Diego. Sprinting in from the bullpen. Dodgers playing like caca. Injuries galore. Hit somebody so I can have something to get excited about

Paper said it was from covering first.

Think I’ll just watch the Lakers and read what happens to the Dodgers later.

73. Jason says:

They all look like they approach each at bat saying “don’t mess up don’t mess up don’t mess up”…..and then they swing at garbage.
    Many people asked the question about how they will live up to the pressure and expectations —– is this the answer??

74. KEN says:

2013 season RBI Extrapolation with stats before tonight’s game :(

1. Crawford 23
    2. Ellis 35
    3. Kemp 46
    4. Gonzalez 127
    5. Ethier 35
    6. Ellis 46
    7. Uribe 35
    8. Sellers 12

7 players – You Gotta Lotta ‘Splainin To Do

I am calling for Dons’ head. The starters can’t do it all. Sure Donnie didn’t drop that pop-up or Strike out with two men on but the wheels are falling off. Go be Joe Torres ass[istant]. You are accountable!

WTF, bunting on a 3-0 pitch
    I guess I’m a idiot

77. the truth hurts says:

This is terrible. And the team voted to fly to baltimore after the game. Cant wait to see these zombies get shut out all weekend.

Lakers playing like they are running in sand. Took a look at the Dodgers and they are behind against the hapless Padres. But they are 1 for 5 WRISP so, that’s an improvement. 9 LOB after 5. I see they are sitting Kemp. Not sure how that helps, but, maybe at least gives him something to think about. If he is hurt, DL him and call up SVS or Puig. If he is not, he has to play his way out of it.

This is an exercise in letting go.

I’m going to bed. I’ll read up in the morning.

79. Rob says:

This series makes me sick. The padres seem to be the team that’s fired up. The entire dodger organization should be embarrassed. This team has no identity and no leader. It’s early so there will be brighter days ahead but they better get their heads out of their asses. Ok time to go to sleep but I can’t stop watching this train wreck.

80. Rob says:

Greinke is at home and is watching this game and wondering why isn’t this team fighting for him. Mantingly needs to go!!!!

81. jerry says:

i daid that after we had ten game..and every one said its only 10 games. this team suck as a team..not all but most.and donnie has them in the wrong order..

Well, woke up to some good news.

Lakers pulled it out in overtime.

The Dodgers drew over 52,000 last night. That in itself is unbelievable. Must have been because Kershaw was pitching. I don’t know we are going to see over 50,000 come see this mess when they come back home.

Thanks to us, the Padres are not the worst team in baseball anymore. We are only 3.5 behind the West leadler, but are closer to last place after this series.

I don’t know what the answer is, but it does not look like Mattingly is a strong motivator so far. Perhaps this will change once they are on the road playing in front of smaller crowds.

83. Jason says:

Same issue as Ken – have to post to get all the responses to show up.
    Very odd…

84. Jason says:

TIME FOR A POSITIVE SPIN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O

85. Jason says:

Ok I did some quick research…
    Last year at this time the rival Giants were only 8-7…and they went on to win the World Series as we all know. Their first 15 included some horrible play, a few shutouts, and even a clobbering loss of 17-8.

Currently the Dodgers are at 7-8. Are we worried? Yes. Is it necessarily over? I don’t think so.

86. KEN says:

Back to 4 only things

87. KEN says:

Good news – no loss today.

I am either in a Twilight Zone or living in another universe — but I can swear that a whole bunch of posts are missing . . . .

Been extremely busy lately, and have actually missed a number of games, mostly because having to be up early in the morning has made it next to impossible for me to stay up late here in the east to watch Dodger games. Guess I’m not one of those “real” fans.

Obviously Kemp has to start hitting, and eventually I believe he will. Cruz and Sellers are another story altogether. Sellers probably gets replaced by Hanley soon (hope they’re not making the same mistake that was made with Kemp last year, when he was brought back too early the first time). But Cruz also has to go. It’s becoming clearer to me that last year was an anomaly. Besides, even with his hitting last year, Cruz was a low OBP guy. If Hanley plays short, then Gordon, despite currently hitting .321, is not likely to return. Punto would be a better option than Cruz at 3B, but in the long run he’s not the answer. Either the Dodgers move Hanley over to 3B, and bring back Gordon, or else they have to go out and find someone to play 3B. Right now, the bottom of the Dodgers’ order is killing them.

90. Anonymous says:

D’oh!

91. Dodgerdog says:

The oddest thing just happened. Flipped on the game and watched AJ Ellis get a hit not only with a runner in scoring position but also behind the runner. I wasn’t sure the players remembered how to do that.

92. Anonymous says:

I sure wish you would fix this thing

93. Anonymous says:

OK, what’s Plan B

1. [...] Just Two Things… As I have said before, $220 million guarantees nothing.   This season has the potential of being a train wreck! To blame Sundays’ loss on Mattingley is really silly.  Beckett induced a weak ground ball that had eyes.  League could have gave up a 2-run shot.  You don’t know.  What we know is that pitch to [...]… [...]