It Ain’t Over!

Next week in LA, Clayton Kershaw will drill Carlos Quentin with a fastball right in the ribs.  Write it down.  I guarantee it.  Clayton doesn’t tolerate that crap.  The only way it won’t happen is if Quentin is suspended, which he may be.  It will most likely happen in the 7th or 8th inning with the Dodgers ahead.  Clayton probably won’t be the first one to do it though.  Quentin gets hit more than any batter in baseball because he doesn’t get out of the way very well.  Then he gets offended,  If Carlos thinks Greinke was throwing at him with a 3-2 at that time of the game, he is a complete idiot like Mattingly says.

This should be a lesson for any pitcher:  If you are going charged by a man 50 pounds heavier than you, DON’T JUST STAND THERE.  You will lose every time.  You need to sidestep him and bash him in the throat or the back of the head and then pummel the hell out of him as he goes down.  Straight up, Greinke loses.  With a slidestep and a punch in the throat, he wins everytime.  If you are going to get mugged, don’t just stand there.  Do something!  I have never been is fight that lasted more than a few seconds because I used the throat shot and no one can take that without falling to the ground and flopping around like a wet fish.  Everyone tries to protect their face from a punch… no one thinks about the neck.

If you can, do what Nolan Ryan did to Robin Ventura.  That’s what Quentin needs.

That said, after the season is over, we will look back at this pitch as the pitch that galvanized the LA Dodgers into a Band of Brothers!  This will unite the team and Chris Capuano and/or Ted Lilly will step in and do well in Greinke’s absence.

Juan Uribe really may win the 3B job or at least get a lot more playing time.

free-faucet-5-stage-higher

43 Responses to “It Ain’t Over!”

1. Bball says:

I agree with everything you wrote. This team got a huge chemistry shot. I’m pumped. Don’t you just love baseball

2. Pete M. says:

Mark, It’s just me, but I let it go for now… We won the battle but lost the war (Z.G.’s collar)… Just play ball…
    Zack was flat out dealing… Cap had a good encore…The pen returned… Uribe, like a bad rash… But I’ll take it…

The throat is a kill shot. I don’t think that would be appropriate in this situation. The league should deal with it, but they won’t. Quentin should sit out as long as Greinke is out.

Bummer. But maybe it unites this team in a way nothing else could.

Just another reason to hate the hapless Padres. They will finish right where they belong – in the toilet.

OK Cappy, this is your shot.

The throat shot seldom kills, but it disables. I\’ve used it 8 or 9 times in my life and never killed anybody. Usually it was with my forearm, but twice it was the fist.

Pete,

You can\’t let it go. Clayton won\’t let it go…

I learned it the Marine Corps, and the way they taught it it was a kill shot. You collapse the trachea and there is no opportunity to breathe. You should read up on it Mark. Totally uncalled for in this situation. How about just a drop kick with the cleats to the face? You think the league would allow that? We all know you are a tough guy, and can kick anyone’s ass, but come on.

Kershaw should not retaliate. If I am his manager, I tell him the best revenge is to shut them out. You just lower yourself to their level if you allow them to get in your head. They are a last place team. They will be a last place team all year and likely for years to come. We are the Los Angeles Dodgers. We don’t need to rassle in the mud with pigs. Just beat the crap out of them and then as a team point to the scoreboard.

5. Jason says:

I agree too. The only bad part with Clayton doing that is the suspension that he’d probably get. Can’t lose the 1 of the 1-2 punch too.
    I’d also be shocked if both teams aren’t already warned and the series isn’t even until next week..lol

Uribe is the man. See I have been telling you all . . . Uribe is the man.

I really believe the pitch he hit was one of those hanging breaking balls in the middle of the plate, that even I would have hit out.

But he did it. Sweet.

I’m tellin’ you…. contract year. It is an amazing motivator. Let’s take advantage and then let him walk.

7. the truth hurts says:

Quentin has to be pissing his pants about coming to LA Monday. This could get even uglier.

Kershaw HAS to plunk Quentin. It just has to happen. That is how baseball works. Plus, no one was more fired up last night them him. After Uribe’s shot, he was basically screaming at the Padres dugout rubbing it in.

And I think this is a huge team chemistry booster as well. Could be exactly what Kemp needed to break out of his shell. The entire team was in, even Uribe.

A lot of emotions, I bet the guys did not sleep well…Arizona will be chomping at the bit.

8. Idahoal says:

I believe both teams will be warned for the whole series at LA with the Padres. Nobody is going to throw at anybody on purpose. I agree with Badger, Quentin should be suspended as long as Grienke is out. It will not happen. I cannot believe Grienke was thrown out. Yes, Grienke should of side stepped Quentin, but he is a competitor. Maybe this is just what the Dodgers needed.

Watching the Mike & Mike Show this morning . . . they played the tape over a 100 times . . . but they were saying, as Quentin was taking those couple of steps toward the mound, Greinke said something to him — that is when Quentin started running and then busting him.

We might need to know just what he said to Quentin. Probably part of the, “You just do not move your body . . . take that . . .” stuff.

This will really make bad blood between these two teams. A couple of months with him will hurt.

Does not matter what was “said”. If someone were to go off everytime something is “said” you would have this kind of nonsense every night. You do not rush the mound in that situation. You just don’t. It would have been stupid for Greinke to throw at him with that count and in 1 run game. Greinke is not stupid. But obviously Quentin is. You don’t like to be hit, back off the plate a few inches moron. Everyone in baseball knows he crowds the plate. You do that you will get hit now and then… and he does. He cannot be surprised by that. If he is, he is even dumber than I think he is.

MLB needs to step in and do something about this. This ain’t hockey. Starting a brawl in baseball should be dealt with harshly.

Looks like maybe I was wrong about Harang. They got a reliever that could eventually help. He was a starter in the minors, and has been converted, but is 26. They also got financial relief, so, in effect they did do better than the Dodgers did. Not as well as I thought they would.

I still think Harang has value to a Major League team. 170 innings of sub 4 is worth more than an aging back-up catcher or a minor league reliever. Maybe somebody saw something that the stats don’t show. We’ll just have to see.

11. Dodgerdog says:

Don’t agree with everything he says, but Colin Cowherd (he’s a moron quite often) just had the the best line about Quentin – ‘He’s a .223 platoon player who dives over the plate. He’s been hit on more times than a model at a mechanic’s convention’. I hope the team uses this as a chemistry boost. Some players started well (Crawford, Gonzalez, Kershaw) and some haven’t (Kemp, Beckett). I’m not worried about Kemp’s power as I think it will take a while for that to come back the same way it did for Gonzalez when he was with San Diego. The thing that concerns me about Kemp in the games I’ve seen is that he seems to be looking to pull the ball.

12. Pete M. says:

Why in the hell is retaliation needed next week??? You end up compounding the problem. I see Joe Torree in attendance for the 3 game set..Short leash in hand…
    Quentin out for as long as Z.G.??? Uribe on his way to Triple Crown…
    It once again proves (Zack’s brilliant “I’ll just my shoulder down routine) that baseball may have the lowest combined IQ’s in professional sports… Quentin a Stanford guy??? Do they have prop student athletes???

13. Pete M. says:

P.S. If necc. seek revenge after Sept callups…With hopefully the NL West in the bag…

Badger,

My 13-year-old son is a witness in a murder trial on Monday. He witnesses some guy hit another twice in the face. His head hit the ground and started bleeding from his ears. He died a week later. I promised my son, I would tackle the guy if he took one step out of his chair. ;)

Point is: you can kill someone with a punch to the face too. I think it depends upon the \”follow through\” if you try and punch through the guy. Same with a throat shot. I use more of a chop with little follow through. Quick, but not deadly.

BTW, nearing 60, I\’m not as tough as I used to be, which is why I started carrying a 9MM this year. The one with a clip of 17 that they are trying to ban. ;) I don\’t need 17. 10 is fine – I\’ll comply as I agree there needs to be some regulation.

You are losing your mind old man.

I know how those things are done. I did them. I have seen enough actual killing to last several lifetimes. If you had been through what I have been through, you would put the guns down. You have no need to carry weapons like that. Yet another overreaction by a paranoid who believes all the bullshit being spouted by those who want you to be afraid.

The key to defense is a cool head and aikido. You look for trouble, trouble will find you. You deflect. Let nothing in.

The situation on the field got out of hand because some idiot lost his cool and decided fighting was the answer. Sounds like had it been you, somebody would be in the hospital with a breathing tube. I read in the San Diego paper the fights continued in the stands. And that is embarrassing. We are a violent nation of paranoids who decide to react instead of to think.

And so it goes.

Article on Jackie Robinson, by the great Dave Anderson . . . in today’s NY Times.

SPORTS OF THE TIMES
    Remembering Robinson’s Passion and Fury

By DAVE ANDERSON
    Published: April 11, 2013

The Jackie Robinson I saw in “42” was different than and yet the same as the Jackie Robinson I knew as a baseball writer with the long-deceased Brooklyn Eagle and New York Journal-American.

In the film, which opened in theaters Friday, the actor Chadwick Boseman portrayed the Brooklyn Dodgers rookie in 1947, when he was under orders from General Manager Branch Rickey “not to fight back” at the racism that boiled among some teammates, not to mention opponents and fans. As a teenager, I saw that Robinson only from the Ebbets Field grandstand.

And yet he was the same because Boseman seemed to burn inside with the flame I so often saw burst open during games while covering the Dodgers during Robinson’s last four seasons, from 1953 to 1956. The flame that once seemed about to blister me.

I once covered a Dodgers loss to the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds. Early the next evening, I was boarding a train at Penn Station that was taking the Dodgers on a road trip when Lee Scott, the team’s traveling secretary, said: “Watch out. Robinson’s looking for you.”

Looking for me. I couldn’t imagine what I had done to anger Robinson, but as I sat in my Pullman compartment, I could hear his high-pitched voice yelling, “Dave Anderson!” and adding, very loudly, that he was going to pummel me. And each time he yelled, that voice was coming closer and closer through the train. Suddenly, there he was, peering at me with that flame in his eyes.

“How could you write that?” he roared.

“Write what?” I asked.

“Campy saying, ‘Oh, Robinson, why don’t you shut up?’ ” he said, referring to Roy Campanella, the Dodgers’ catcher.

Now I understood. During the loss the night before, Robinson was in a heated argument with an umpire. In the Dodgers’ clubhouse later, he was still fuming out loud in the high-pitched voice that, through the years, had prompted some teammates to say, “Oh, Robinson, why don’t you shut up?” Not angrily, just quietly and a little wearily. Nobody said it more often than Pee Wee Reese, the Dodger shortstop and captain who helped Robinson more than any other teammate.
    “Campy wasn’t mad at you,” I said. “He just wanted you to stop yelling.”

“But it made me look bad in front of my teammates,” Robinson said.

Just as suddenly, he turned and strode away toward the players’ sleeping cars. He never mentioned it again, never spoke angrily to me again in all the years before his premature death in 1972, but I’ve always cherished having been confronted by Jackie Robinson in full flame that day, one on one, the way so many teammates and opponents saw him.

For all the unforgettable moments I have of him hitting or running the bases, my favorite remains hearing that voice coming closer and closer through the train and suddenly being the target of the anger in his eyes.

Just as he resented what he considered a critical comment from a teammate, he knew how to tip a reporter to a story that, coincidentally, involved Campanella. In Game 3 of the 1953 World Series with the Yankees, Campanella’s home run in the eighth inning off the right-hander Vic Raschi led to a 3-2 victory. As I arrived in the Dodgers’ clubhouse, Robinson motioned me to his locker.

“Before Campy hit the homer,” he told me quietly, Casey Stengel, the Yankees’ manager, “was pointing to his left ear and yelling to Raschi: ‘Stick it in his ear. Stick it in his ear.’ ”

A knockdown pitch, if not a bean ball, was a common dugout directive in that era. In the Series that October, the Yankees were pitching Campanella tight, with success. In the second inning of the opener, a fastball from the right-hander Allie Reynolds had clipped Campanella on the right hand. When he came up with one out in the eighth inning of Game 3 against Raschi, Campanella was 1 for 11 in the Series, his lone hit a single in the Dodgers’ 9-5 loss in Game 1.

“I’m told,” I said to Campanella, “that before you hit the homer, Stengel was yelling, ‘Stick it in his ear.’ Did you see him yell that?”

“No, I didn’t see him,” he said.

“Then did you hear what he said?”

“Yes, I heard it.”

On Raschi’s first pitch, the next sound Campanella and everybody at Ebbets Field heard was the sound of his bat smashing a home run into the lower left-field stands. It won the game in which the Dodgers right-hander Carl Erskine had a record 14 strikeouts. And thanks to Robinson’s tip, I had a good story. The Yankees went on to win in six games, but two years later the Dodgers finally won a World Series, their only championship representing Brooklyn. Maybe more than anybody else, Robinson understood one reason those Stengel teams beat his Dodgers in five of six Series.

“Mickey Mantle’s a tough hitter,” Robinson once told me, “but that Yogi Berra is the guy that frightens me. You just can’t pitch to him.”

Robinson knew hitters. When the Dodgers were coming north from spring training in 1954, they stopped in Mobile, Ala., for an exhibition game against the Milwaukee Braves. I happened to be standing near Robinson as a Braves rookie sprayed line drives in batting practice.

Turning to me, Robinson said, “You’re going to be watching that kid for a long time.”

That kid was Henry Aaron, who had just turned 20 and was not yet Hank or The Hammer, just a slender outfielder who would hit .280 that season with the first 13 of his 755 home runs. Years later I asked Robinson how many African-American major leaguers had personally thanked him for breaking the barrier.

“Hank Aaron has been fantastic,” he said. “He’s indicated his appreciation.”

When Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs (about 18 months after Robinson’s death in 1972), racist letters hounded him, but he never talked about them publicly until years later. And if he sees “42,” he’ll appreciate Jack Roosevelt Robinson even more.

16. Quasimodo says:

One thing for certain that we all can agree on. Dodgers WILL be having a meeting and all owners will be speaking. We can only guess what the owners will say but their voice’s will very loud. I don’t think Kershaw will get a thumbs-up at this meeting to retaliate. And he will listen! That you can be $200 million bucks sure of.

17. J says:

If I charge someone and bowl them over, it’s called assault. It won’t matter to the judge that Greinke called Quentin a pussyfoot first. It’s assault. So I say, press charges and get a lawyer to squeeze out everything Quentin has earned in baseball for damages.

I am betting that there are rules in MLB against such things. But, we are a litigious society. You can sue for damn near anything. It would be kinda funny to hear Quentin’s explanation for why he acted like such an idiot.- “But you see your honor, he called me a pussy.” You would think, having gone to Stanford, he would have heard that before.

• Glass Is Half Full says:

Classic!

18. the truth hurts says:

anyone else exhausted by this mess?

what a bummer

IF MLB does not have a charging/assault clause — maybe they should. Anytime a player assaults another player — they need to sit down or in the corner for awhile to think about it.

One could injure themselves and of course, others. And this is just what happened.

Kemp needs to grow up. His yelling, getting chased by the umps, and maybe suspended (who knows), and then the confrontation after the game . . . needs to stop.

Yes, I know, I considers himself a leader on the team. But watching Kemp over the years — he just might love that role — to bark.

The team will or should take care of that. MLB should take care of that.

Mr. Kemp needs to re-learn how to hit the baseball right now.

Only his salary is keeping him hitting in the #3 slot. But he is the easy out on the team. Maybe he will wake up tonight and really start hitting the ball. I mean, Kemp is hitting a hot .182, with 2 RBIs after 8 games.

Yeah, I am tired of many of these brawls in sports. Take it out on those weak ass teams by beating them on the scoreboard.

Maybe some of Kemp’s frustration with his own game came out on the field last night. I understand where it came from, but the idea that a scrounge team like the lowly Padres can get into the heads of better teams is frustrating. It’s exactly what they would try to do! You can’t beat ‘em by outscoring them, then beat them by dragging them through the mud. Ridiculous.

Kershaw just needs to shut them out in a oomplete game. In fact, that’s what all our pitchers need to do. You put those scumbags on first base by plunking them, you are giving them a chance to score a run. Don’t do it.

21. jerry says:

kemp should be moved out of the third spot..he is hurting the dodger now..put him in the 5 spot and bring either up to third..

22. Quasimodo says:

Okay. But not lower than the 5 hole. That would too much of an insult. I sure don’t want any more poison.

Pretty much agree with just about all that Badger said. The Dodgers need to channel their anger into something positive, like pummeling the baseball, not the Padres.

I’m not sure exactly how it works, but I suspect that Quentin could be in the lineup when the Padres play the Dodgers next week. Even if he’s suspended, I believe that Quentin can challenge the ruling, and put off suspension for a while. Kemp will also likely be suspended. Maybe in his case he shouldn’t challenge it, and use the time off to pull his game back together. And maybe he can use this incident to focus on his hitting. As noted above, he is pulling too much.

Greinke is important, but mostly over the long haul. In the short run someone like Capuano can probably fill-in admirably. What’s most important now is for the Dodgers to continue to get good pitching (even w/o Greinke) and to begin putting some runs across the plate.

We must start hitting to our potential. I believe we will. Kemp is the leader on this team, but if he has his head in RiRi’s lap again the same thing is going to happen. He needs to focus.

• the truth hurts says:

yep Badger, I think that Kemp anger has a little more to do then him not hitting or Greinke. I read up on some stuff and this little RiRi episode is far more involved then you would like to think. Small town Kemp is caught up in something he should have never gotten started with.

25. Quasimodo says:

Reading some of the comments at other sites a bit unusual. While most Giants fans are in their usual form of spilling idiotic crap, some at least have the class say what happened to the Birdman was way out of line. Class or no class the Giants fans surely feel this a gift. I’m not happy!

Been watching the end of the Giants / Cubs game in Chicago.

Giants trailing all game; 2-0 in the 9th.

Japanese reliever, walks one, hits one; tying run on 3rd base for the Giants.

Now, they tie it, no go ahead, Giants 3-2 and still up.

Thanks Cubbies.

Bottom of the 9th.

Former Dodger catcher, Dioner Navarro hits a pinch-hit HR to tie the game.

Looking at his stats; this guy has made over $8 million dollars so far in the majors.

Badger, you and I are in the wrong business.

28. Quasimodo says:

Well tonight we’ll be in 1st.

Actually a great job by the Cubs to come back and win in the bottom of 9, after blowing it in the top of the 9th.

Suck it Gnats.

I look for Quentin to be suspended for 5-10 games and Kemp and Hairston fined. They didn\’t do anything to get suspended for.

Insofar as brawls and fighting: I\’m against it and think we should beat the hell out of anyone who engages in such behavior.

7-10 games and that isn’t enough.

Everybody outside if San Diego is saying the same thing. Quentin was way out of line.

Navarro has made 8 million? Damn. I didn’t know he was still playing.

Badger, just show up at some tryout camp, put down “catcher.” Spit here and there.

Say yes ‘sir. You want me to go to, Two-Bit Iowa and play in low A. Yes ‘sir.

33. Rob says:

Good thing capuano is a solid first half pitcher. It kind of works out good in a mysterious way. It brings the team closer with everyone watching eachothers back and it showcases cappy for a mid summer trade.

34. Kris says:

8 game suspension for Quentin. What a joke. He should pay the Dodgers Greinke’s salary for every game on the DL. $7M+ and just maybe he – and others – will learn from it.

1. [...] 04/12/2013 Dee Gordon drives in all 3 runs for Albuquerque on Thursday more… It Ain’t Over! – ladodgertalk.com 04/12/2013 Next week in LA, Clayton Kershaw will drill Carlos Quentin with [...]