Categorized | Press Releases

DODGERS PLACE FIFE ON 15-DAY DISABLED LIST, RECALL RHP MAGILL

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today placed right-handed pitcher Stephen Fife on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder bursitis retroactive to April 22 and recalled right-handed pitcher Matt Magill from Triple-A Albuquerque. Magill will start and wear No. 36 in his Major League debut tonight vs. Milwaukee.

Magill has posted a 2.84 ERA with 23 strikeouts over 19.0 innings in four starts for the Isotopes this season. The Simi Valley native has held the opposition to a .206 average on the year and last pitched on Monday, making 71 pitches and fanning seven while allowing one run on one hit in 4.0 innings. The 23-year-old was selected by the Dodgers in the 31st round of the 2008 First-Year Draft. He was signed out of Royal High School by then scout and current Dodger bullpen coach Chuck Crim.

Fife started Sunday’s game in Baltimore after being recalled on the same day, allowing four runs on seven hits in 4.2 innings in the no-decision. In three starts with the Isotopes this season, the 26-year-old is 1-1 with a 4.61 ERA (7 ER/13.2 IP) and 14 strikeouts.

Sharkbite-Fittings

30 Responses to “DODGERS PLACE FIFE ON 15-DAY DISABLED LIST, RECALL RHP MAGILL”

5th starter down already in April?

Unreal

2. Quasimodo says:

Hey Bobby, when you asked for a movie suggestion and I gave ‘Nobody’s Baby’ did you fallow? Just wondering.

• Bobby says:

I checked netflix.com that night, but it isn’t available for on line stream.

Any more suggestions for one of those classic 80s flicks? i.e. Risky Business, Breakfast Club, anything with Phoebe Cates topless? I”m tryin to relive my youth.

3. Quasimodo says:

Yes, 9 starters in 23 games

4. HemmorhoidRage says:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a classic 80′s flick with Phoebe’s ta-tas, but I am sure that is in your stroking collection already. LOL

You can’t get too much pitching, I recall that refrain. Harang anyone?

BTW what the hell are the Dodgers doing recalling Fife when he obviously had arm issues, was he just keeping his mouth shut and trying to pitch thru it? Can’t blame the kid, he got his chance and didn’t want to say anything, I’m sure. Heck, I would have done the same thing.

5. Quasimodo says:

I can’t claim I favor any of those movies to near a list of must see. But I also can’t claim anybody should share what I look for. For me its probably more about the actor than it is of the movie. If you asked me who starred in ‘men in black’ I’d answer Victor D’Onofrio-he played the ‘bug’ and deserved an Oscar. So with that I’ll say search Sean Penn movies, but his worse had a topless Phoebe Cates.

6. Jae says:

Dr. Jekyll is getting under my Hyde.

7. Quasimodo says:

I thought my spelling was wrong.

8. 1000OaksDave says:

A better performance than Fast Times at Ridgemont High by Sean Penn was the 1985 film, The Falcon and the Snowman. Timothy Hutton is quite good in it as well. Doubt you’ll find it online with Netflix thoough. He’ll, I’ll have to check myself now that I’m stuck at home. At least I get to watch a local guy, Magill, pitch. I live the next city over from Simi Valley (Thousand Oaks).

Matt Kemp should watch video of every Paul Goldschmidt at bat.

Guerrier deserves to have his ass kicked by the team

This team is like in the middle of Spring Training.

I really feel for Magill.

Here they bring him up to start ASAP — and put a AAA infield on the field to back him up.

Schumaker, Hairston, Cruz, & Uribe. Now ain’t that great support.

He pitches like one of the best Dodger pitches this season, and the great Dodger pen just took it away from him.

But the kid has stuff.

Just looked at AAA.

Gordon was 2 for 5, now hitting .337, with 12 stolen bases.

Van Slyke was 3 or 4, now hitting .469, with 2 HRs and 8 RBIs

FedEx is hitting cleanup, hitting .474.

13. Rob says:

The kid was cruising in the 7th with two out and Donnie yanks him! Let him finish the inning! Donnie needs to be fired and send Guerrier packing!

14. KEN says:

Starters Innings Pitched per Start

Kershaw (5) 6.73
    Magill (1) 6.67
    Ryu (5) 6.33
    Beckett (5) 6.07
    Bills (2) 6.00 (DL)
    Greinke (2) 5.67 (DL)
    Lilly (1) 5.00
    Capuano (1) 4.67 (DL)
    Fife (1) 4.67 (DL)

Keep Magill when Cappy comes back, one of them can be a long reliever, and send Wall to AA

50,000 see this snoozer.

Can a brother get a walk off from this group? Seems other teams do it every week.

dbacks 6-0 in extra innings. They got a walk off tonight. Lots of excitement. Dodgerzzzzzzzzzzz …… not so much.

Magill looks like the real deal. Of course it’s only one start, but that rising fastball is impressive. And will be more so if he can throw strikes and use it when he’s ahead with two strikes on a hitter. Kid settled in nicely after a shaky start.

I understand why Mattingly removed Magill. The plan of course was for Paco to get the lefthanded hitting Aoki. The problem was that he laid down a nice bunt, and in came Guerrier, who’s at the top of my list of players that need to go. According to Cots he’s making $3.75 million this year. I think that’s a contract the Dodgers can eat. Or maybe another team wants him, and will pick up a piece of his remaining contract if the Dodgers are willing to take back just a bag of balls. Might as well find out if Chris Withrow is ready.

Gordon hitting .337, SVS hitting .469 and Fedex hitting .474. That just makes Magill’s pitching stats in the PCL all that more impressive. I would like to see Gordon back, but not because of his numbers. I just like him, and think he’ll hit at the big league level and cause havoc with his speed. We’ll just have to see about the defense. Fedex might be OK, but I’m convinced that SVS is at best a AAAA player.

So for now I’d like to see Cruz, Sellers, Uribe, and Guerrier gone. Might also include Wall, although he at least has some potential, and could right the ship in the long run. For now, however, he probably needs ply his trade down on the farm, where he can work on his command.

Things will eventually happen, and by mid-season we might see a very different team.

Just holding my breath and hoping that Hanley hasn’t come back too early.

17. Quasimodo says:

………………Oh-boy-shit!

18. Dave says:

Matty pitched a gem , great kid extremely solid , nows how to pitch !

Our bullpen is 24th in ERA, 28th in OPS and has 5 losses already. The 5 losses are tied for 4th worse in MLB.

That ain’t good.

Starters are 9th in both ERA and OPS. That isn’t good either.

Pitching is supposed to be our strength. And I think eventually, it will be. Kershaw and Greinke, by the end of the year, could very well be the best 1 2 punch in baseball. Not sure about the rest of those guys.

Team batting we are 28th in both runs and slg.%. Yoiks.

It’s early.

Brooklyn, some nice ideas there.

Looking at the Dodgers situation now. The guys are only 3.5 games out of first place. That is not bad for as bad as things have been going . . . player injury wise . . . and playing wise.

What is clear to me is — what Ned has on the roster and the changes or lack of changes he is making.

Even when and how Hanley comes back — there still is no real 3rd baseman — and Ellis is hurt at 2nd base.

I still cannot believe the Cruz, Hairston, Punto, Schumaker, Sellers, and Uribe — as basically the same player. Especially Cruz’s .098 hitting. And Schumaker’s .125 hitting. And Hairston’s .171 hitting. At least Uribe is at .200 and Sellers at .224 (basically meaning 2 for 9 or so).

Now, these guys are all trying, but 6 of them, all performing so poorly — and no help coming in. Donnie deserves better. Yes, Punto has his average up, but he is not the answer. He is a nice role player.

Clayton goes today. He has not won a game in 21 days or 3 weeks. In those 3 starts, he has given up 16 hits in 17.2 innings. Also, 8 earned runs. Clayton needs to pitch a shutout today. No excuses.

This season is not a train wreck, but it not want ownership and fans thought would happen. Boo-koo money spent, big names on top, and wanting the world to notice. But no one else has taken off in the division. That helps.

Some of us have pointed out the lack of infield talent for some time now. Cruz? Come on. Some thought he was the second coming. I saw him as the second going some time ago. Uribe was the first. Sellers? Really? Ellis? Again, how many times was it said that he is a back up, and was not going to be able to play every day. Schumaker was picked up as a utility guy. He could be a good again. He was in St. Louis. Punto? .5 WAR. .250 hitter. Hairston? He has been ok in the past, but, .250 with no power doesn’t really help all that much off the bench.

As Mark likes to say, Ray Charles could see this coming. The lack of talent depth on this team was not that difficult to see if you know what you are looking at.

The pitching has been something of a surprise to me, but I think it will come around. The Dodgers always have good pitching. What they don’t seem to be able to do is hit with the big boys.

And Brooklyn, Hanley IS coming back too early. We’ll see if he can play without further damage, we all hope so, but a torn ligament in the thumb? Every good doctor will tell you 8 weeks. Surgery was on March 22nd. Do the math.

Gordon should be at short until June 1st. I have said that since day 1, and I stand by it.

Okay, this has been bugging me for years. Who will be the first manager to recognize many games need to be saved in the 7th or 8th inning? And there will be times, especially with this Dodger staff, that the key out has to be made in the 6th. You have a closer down there that is asked to get the last three outs of the game. They get paid more than anyone in the bullpen. Most of the time those guys come in with the bases empty. Why aren’t those overpaid dudes getting that key out with the go ahead runs already on base? This question has frosted my toasties for years. If I am the manager I would do this in a freakin’ heartbeat. Anyone in that bullpen should be able to come in and get 3 outs with the bases empty. Only a special pitcher can come in and get those key outs with runners in scoring position. That pitcher is your multi million dollar closer.

Right on Badger.

The Dodgers would probably be in first place in the NL West right now, IF the bullpen was in the proper shape.

A number of games have been lost with those middle and late innings just falling apart. Like last night.

Right now, this team does not came back in the 8th or 9th innings to re-take a game.

23. emerson-Lake says:

Good to see Andre jack out, since they don’t seem to come that often anymore. Does anybody have any info on his choking-up on the bat this year? Is this going to be his full-time approach? It seems in marked contrast to his old “Swing Harder” approach of two years ago–it must result in less power, but at least he won’t break his finger just from swinging and crushing it against the bat like he did back then. I’m not complaining–it’s just really unusual these days. Is it Mark Maguire inspired?

24. Jason says:

“Stanton’s long-awaited first home run of the year.

It was a no-doubter, a mammoth shot on a 3-1 pitch from lefty Travis Wood that sailed over the top of the video board next to the left-field foul pole in the first inning.

The estimated distance was 472 feet, making it the longest home run hit at Marlins Park, which opened in April 2012.

The ball would have left the stadium if not for the sliding window panels that were stacked up behind the scoreboard.”

Badger, I agree that there are times the game has to be saved in the 6th or 7th innings. I’m sure that Mattingly was hoping that Rodriguez would retire Aoki, and that he planned on bringing in Jansen to start the 8th. But when Aoki got that bunt hit, and Schumaker (not noted for his infield defense) threw it away, I held my breath when he brought in Guerrier. Why not bring in Jansen to get 4 outs? Either that, or replace Guerrier with someone like Withrow, and see if the latter is ready for the Show. From all reports he’s certainly has the stuff. If he’s added command, then he needs to be in our bullpen. If he’s really good, he could be that guy that comes in in the 6th or 7th, and then we still have Jansen and League for the 8th and 9th. Just like we need Hanley and Gordon to lengthen the lineup, we need someone else to lengthen the bullpen.

I don’t know if McGwire has anything to do with it, or if Matt Kemp has simply gotten into some bad habits. But, with some exceptions, Kemp is continuing to pull the ball too much. I’ve noticed over the years that when he’s pulling the ball a lot he hits a lot of ground balls to the left side. Matt Kemp is best when he’s hitting the ball to center and right center, and only occasionally pulling the ball.

Whether Capuano returns or not, I’d keep McGill in the rotation until he shows he doesn’t belong (which I hope is never).And, of course, I’m still holding my breath regarding Lilly. Maybe he’ll make a remarkable comeback, or maybe what we saw in his first start was a mirage.

Guerrrieerr pitched the night before.. right? It was a few pitches, but he hasn’t looked that bad until last night. His ERA was under 3 going into that game. Not many innings, but, just like the Josh Wall meltdown, I guess that stuff is going to happen.

Obviously we need more than one two inning pitcher. With a starting staff that has 100 pitches into the 6th inning, we just won’t see that many 7-8 inning games, and if you aren’t going to carry the extra arm, which I feel this team needs to do, then you are going to see many games with 4 pitchers in the box score. That is going to wear out your bullpen quickly. We need Kershaw to go 8 tonight. A complete game is asking too much I suppose.

I did not see the play. Should Schumaker have made it? Remember, this is NOT a great defensive club, no matter who is out there in the infield now.

27. Dave says:

Rotating the pen in the 7th and 8th, probably has the worst win loss percentages for any club relative to the situation, thats why pen guys are a dime dozen , if your on a role with em, count your blessings , or hold your breath. Baseball at the show is just brutal, it always works itself out over time . Badger i agree on the bases loaded , they like ground ball guys , but most guys in those situations have a proven record in those situations , closers most closers have the nasty, but so do 7th 8th guys most are minor closers of strong in the park guys with ground ball tendencies, big boys just find ways to hurt a guy, just damn hard to find nasty nasty say 3 quality closers to rotate, most teams try to play the odds on situations strait across the board ! and clubs like guys with a heavy ball that like to attack i think that plays up strong also !