Yes, It’s Early, But It’s Never Too Late!

You don’t worry about Adrian Gonzalez – he’ll get it done whether it be with 40 HR or 14 HR.  He will be around .300 and over 100 RBI.

I also don’t think we have to worry about Andre Ethier – he’ s a lock for 30 HR!  Write it down.

What I Worry About

I do worry about Carl Crawford (will he ever be healthy?),  Chad Billingsley (how many success stories are there about starters who have had a partial ligament tear?),  Hanley Ramirez (can he quit being a head case and start being the player he can be?), Hyun-Jin Ryu (I have questions about him in the rotation), and Zack Greinke’s elbow (I have a sinking feeling about this).

The good part is that there are options:

• No Crawford?  Try Puig, Hairston, Castellanos or Herrera.
  • No Billingsley?  Try Capuano.
  • No Hanley?  Oh, that could be bad!
  • No Ryu?  Try Lilly or Harang.
  • No Greinke?  Ouch!

Things have a way of working out.

Juan Uribe?  Stop!  Now!

What will the bench look like?

• Dee Gordon has no shot.
  • Herrera, Castellanos, Punto , Hairston, Schumaker – one won’t make it, unless Uribe does, then two won’t make it!

free-faucet-5-stage-higher

60 Responses to “Yes, It’s Early, But It’s Never Too Late!”

1. Joseph Olivas says:

u think zack needs tommy j?

2. Joseph Olivas says:

or will soon?

No clue, but one has to wonder and wonder a lot! Behind the scenes, the Dodgers are worried.

4. Bball says:

I havnt heard of greinkes arm issue till today. This hash very worried. I want to see Crawford but am also anxious to see what puig can do. Anyway I am very optimistic about this season but am starting to get a little worried about the health of this ball club. If anyone seen hanleys homerun in the WBC it just confirmed that he was totally a head case. One of those guys if he’s on ur team u love him but if he’s not u hate him. So for now I love him. That could change very soon though

5. Leroy says:

Crawford’s almost recovered from his Tommy, put him on the mound to replace the injured Grienke!

6. Quasimodo says:

You mean HanRam’s showboating? On MLBN they said its a cultural thing that gets displayed in WBC and unlike him in MLB

7. Quasimodo says:

I really need to find a good doctor. The last sleep I got was 5 hrs. Friday night. So here I am after 4 ambien, 4 vicodin and a bottle of 80 proof brandy in me and when I lie down my body feels like its vibrating. This is the 1st time the brandy failed. There used to be such things as good doctors but I haven’t met one in years.

8. Pete M. says:

Seems the same every year at ST mid point… You’ve got a turnstile at the infirmary and nervous fans.
    I just want to keep plugging along and get to Apr 1. See what I got and start evaluating/worrying by May 1…
    Offensive nucleus is there even with a 4th. OF playing… Staff may be a rag tag group I’m confident the group will get it done…

9. Pete M. says:

P.S. Quas…A good doctor is like finding a good mechanic!!!

10. KEN says:

Maybe it is easier to predict who will be the next Pope than who will start the season in the LAD rotation.

I worry that our country’s leaders are going to continue to break apart the middle class. I worry that my knees and shoulders will continue to degenerate. I worry about my kids, especially my step-son.

I remain confident about the Dodgers. The injuries are minor.

I never did think Zach Lee was all he was cracked up to be. As last year’s scouting report says: “Don’t see the elite ceiling that was once suggested. More of a number three starter.” Well, every team needs a number three starter, even ours. But we already have pretty good number three. In fact, we have a couple of them. Hopefully, he continues to develop, but you never know. Remember, I advised the kid to go play football at LSU. I think he can still make it, but he had better light it up this year wherever he is. This would have been the year he would have led LSU to a National Title as well as leading the Tigers into the College Baseball World Series. But, kid took the money instead.

Sorry to hear about your sleep issues quas. I have them too. Ever since I got back from SE Asia I haven’t slept much more than about 3 good hours a night. You know, there are people who believe the planet is being stretched and with the wobbles, a good sleep will be even more difficult to achieve. I have no suggestions other than don’t eat anything at all after 6 pm and make sure you get plenty of exercise – as in work yourself to exhaustion. Try a P90X workout in the late afternooon then some Otrho Sleep and Sleepytime tea. That’s what works for me.

My starting rotation is Kershaw, Greinke, Beckett, Billingsley and Ryu. Capuano and Harang will stick around for a while, who knows, maybe get spot starts to begin the season, but both will eventually be moved. I see the Dodgers getting a few 4A starters lined up just in case, one may come in the trade. Journeymen starters with ERA’s around 5 are all over the place. If we need one, and I don’t believe we will, we can find them.

It’s all good. The Curse of the McFrankenjamie’s has been lifter. Let us all rejoice.

12. Quasimodo says:

Thanks Badger and good morning as well! Got nearly 7 hrs sleep! I almost thought it was 8 hrs but my wrist watch reading a different time reminded me its the 1st day of daylight savings. This WBC is really becoming quite an event. Its turning out removing baseball from the Olympics was very good for these smaller countries. I really have to praise those who had the insights to promote Little League in the other-parts of the world. If you think about it, its probably the best anti-terrorist movement there is.

13. Gonzo says:

Why would Greinke need TJ? Before he signed he went through an extreme physical. If Greinke does need TJ a lot of people’s head need to roll.

On the WBC fight between Mex and Canada I am embarrassed as a Mexican on how the fans acted. Very low class, but ironically the ones that can actually afford to go to those games are the upper class in Mexico. Mix in your cholos and wham you got a rowdy fan base. In Mexicali Baja Mexico baseball fans are called “la perra brava” “the rabid bitch(dog)” I stopped attending baseball games in baja california because I didn’t want to be caught in the middle of something stupid.

anyhow, I am not mad at Oscar Robles. I think it wasn’t that they bunted in the 9th but who bunted. It was the same dude that was going after the middle infielders legs and that was what broke the camels back. While he could have been more subtle, it was a heat of the moment thing. Also the WBC needs to educate the teams better on the rules and point system.

I also appreciated Larry Walker holding Gonzo and not letting him get involved in the scrum.

Hope that Greinke’s elbow problem is minor, but it does give me pause. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Can’t really believe any of the PR.

I don’t see Ryu as the 5th starter, if only because I doubt if the Dodgers want two lefthanders back to back in the rotation (#5 Ryu followed by #1 Kershaw).

• Quasimodo says:

There no way to avoid a back to back in a 5 rotation, so I’m guessing you thinking Bills or Beckett as #5 and Ryu as #3 or #4. I’d say that makes sense.

Zach Greinke flying back to LA to have elbow examined? Uh-oh!!!

Even if it isn’t TJ time that is not good news!!

So as it stands 3 weeks from opening day. Kemp is questionable having just collected his first few hits. Crawford is doubtful for the opener. Hanley needs work at SS so he is off playing 3B for free. Kershaw has looked shaky until yesterday. Now Grienke has a questionable elbow and we are hoping the duct tape holding Billingsley’s elbow hold up.

Lastly…from a source close to the contractor rebuilding Dodger Stadium: “The rain screwed up our schedule and we may not make it” The Dodgers hold a liquidated damages clause in the contract of $1 million/ day if the contract isn’t comleted, but the embarrassment would be much more costly if the stadium isn’t ready come April 1!

Optomism is everywhere!

16. voldomer says:

I don’t think we can read too much into the Greinke exam yet. Why not send him to LA if there is ANY possible problem? There is no reason to take a chance.

Kershaw and Kemp will be fine. Castellanos can hold down LF until Crawford is ready. This team has depth that could only be dreamed about in recent years.

I am not reading much into either Greinke or Crawford’s status. With the size of the investment on these two characters, by all means, exercise caution. No need to get panties in a twist yet. Leave that to Mark the Worrier. Like voldy just said, we have depth, and we also have the ability to make moves.

Can anyone tell me if any of these contracts are insured?

I believe it is standard that the contracts are inisured for something close to 75% of the value, if I rememeber correctly.

The Greinke news certainly isn’t comforting. Not every problem that pops us is major, and certainly his current problem could turn out to be a minor problem or nothing at all. But a certain amount of skepticism is understandable, and reasonable. I’m hopeful that it’s not serious, but fully aware that it could become just that.

I don’t think big league teams enter into any of these mega-contracts without insurance. They’d need to be examined if they did.

For now I’ll just remember the following:
    1. It’s darkest before the dawn.
    2. Money is often made in the market by climbing a wall of worry.

20. KEN says:

Although I hate all things gints the recent Posey commercial for a baseball video game is hilarious.

21. Idahoal says:

Hey Mark, I love your thoughts about Andre Either. I have always like him especially last year, when he hustled hard all the time. Before last year, I had some questions about Andre, but not anymore. Mark McGwire is going to help a lot of hitters. He is staying away from the mechanics of hitting and talking to them about how the pitcher is trying to get the hitter out. Great!!!

22. Idahoal says:

Ken, talk about good commercials, the one I like the best are the 2 or 3 about Davis Love and his caddie in golf.

Does MLB have to approve all platelet shots? They are a type of PED aren’t they? Blood doping is illegal right?

24. Quasimodo says:

It seems if I remember correctly that the platelets come from ones own blood. Badger can tell us if I’m right or wrong on that as he had that treatment himself.

25. HemmorhoidRage says:

EPO also comes from your own use of blood, ask Lance Headstrong. But platelet is not considered a PED, it’s really just not in that catagory at all.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago in a conversation about signing players to long term mega contracts, pitchers have to be one of the most risky signings you can make in this area of contracts. Greinke may yet again prove another one of RoidRage’s tenets.

Also, just a reminder, it’s impossible to have too much pitching, just like it’s impossible to have too much storage room in your house.

26. AnewBlueDay says:

Uribe makes the final cut.

Lots of money to him . . . he is a basically good 3B, and can fill in at SS . . . and is learning 1B —– and is a power bat off the bench.

FINALLY . . . Big Mac might be getting him to approach his plate discipline better.

• Bobby says:

Actually all very good points, and you’re likely right

Uribe most likely will make the team on opening day, but if he reverts to being more useless than rape laws in India, he’ll be cut and someone like Herrera will be up.

Just because Uribe hit a HR the other day doesn’t mean he makes the team. He’s hitting .174, which is his worse ST performance in his 3 years with the Dodgers. Maybe he makes the team, but there’s just as strong a chance that he doesn’t.

PRP is nothing like blood doping. Just google it and you can read the differences.

Yeah, I had three PRP treatments on knees and shoulders at the same time. 4 actually on my left knee as the VA gave me one HA shot under the kneecap. They don’t do PRP, and I can only get my left knee done. They won’t do HA in my shoulders for rotator cuff injuries, and they didn’t give a good reason why. Lovely experience, all of it.

Pitching and storage. Yeah, I get it. If I had more storage, I would use it. But it would also mean keeping crap around I don’t really need. And, too much pitching could be keeping crap around you won’t need. Sure hope we don’t need it.

I don’t keep Uribe no matter what the contract says. He just isn’t worth the roster spot. Give to somebody who wants to make a name for himself. Uribe has a name – “My batting average is less than my weight”. Or how about “To hit like Mendoza! That is my goal this year!”

Puig two more hits.

He’s making his case.

Greinke gets a couple of shots and is scheduled to pitch again this week. Notta to worry.

30. Quasimodo says:

Yeah Badger, I’ve heard Its no fun for the 1st few days. You sound a bit pissed at the VA. Its sad that so many Vets continually have reason to be disgruntled with that part of the system. Should of been repaired long ago. I’d like to hear how your knee feels at this point. You’ve had about the same amount of time as Bills to heal, though he has youth and something better than VA. At any rate, You’re the most qualified of us here (even more than the reporters) to tell how we should feels about Bills. Sorry if I’m bringing up a sore subject, my friend.

I understand, from a very reputable source,(Mark knows of whom I speak) that PRP generally requires a therapeutic use exemption as there are concerns regarding performance enhancement. Additionally, some practitioners have been known to illegally use growth hormone injections in connection with this therapy.

No problem quas. The VA system was good for me in the beginning, and I am grateful, but the system is really overloaded now, what with so many Irag and Afghan vets signing up. And, budgeting is an obvious issue now. We will send them off to die for…. whatever…. but taking care of the issues created is another matter. I got in before the current 10 year wars were started, so, it was very different then. Now I have to wait a year to get in for some procedures. I have my own ideas on how this problem could be fixed, but our right wing friends in here don’t want to hear it.

ken, it should be noted that there is an ergogenic elevation of naturally produced growth hormone in the PRP injections. That is what helps make it work for healing. Everyone in the game knows this and the process has already been approved – in all sports I believe. The systemic elevation of VEGF is temporary.

Here, read this:

CONCLUSION:

Serum IGF-1, VEGF, and bFGF levels are significantly elevated after PRP injection, supporting a possible ergogenic effect of PRP. An indirect marker for hGH doping, the product of IGFBP-3 × IGF-1, also significantly increased after PRP. Platelet-rich plasma appears to trigger an increase in circulating growth factors through activating biological pathways rather than by serving as a vehicle for the direct delivery of presynthesized growth factors. Elevated VEGF was observed in all patients after PRP, and ≥88% of patients had elevated VEGF at each time point from 3 to 96 hours after PRP, suggesting that VEGF may be a sensitive molecular marker to detect athletes recently treated with PRP.

CLINICAL RELEVANCE:

This is the first and only adequately powered study of the systemic effects of PRP. We present evidence that PRP contains and may trigger systemic increases in substances currently banned in competitive athletes. Finally, we provide evidence that VEGF could serve as a useful molecular marker to detect athletes treated with PRP.

So, yeah, I would imagine that each athlete must get “permission” – but since so many are having it done it would strongly suggest that MLB has already approved the process. PRP injection is not the same as using PED’s. It’s just not.

Why is the name Jason Schmidt ringing in my ears today?

33. Quasimodo says:

Badger, hows the knee?

Zack Greinke has never missed a game in his career because of elbow/arm issues.

He broke a rib, and he had a shoulder issue once. The guy is healthy and durable. I’m sure he’ll be great Apr 2

35. AnewBlueDay says:

Jae, is that a Country & Western song you were quoting???

Badger

I raised a question
    I discussed an issue
    I did some research
    My research is not contradictory to yours!

Kevin Kennedy had some good words about Puig and Crawford today on Dodger Talk. Thinks that Crawford has slimmed back down to his TB body.

“They are a type of PED aren’t they? Blood doping is illegal right?” Ken

No, they are not a type of PED and yes, blood doping is illegal, but, why are we talking about blood doping in MLB? As far as I know, blood doping is only done in long distance events. I don’t believe it requires an abundance of red blood cells to run from home to first. And, as far as I know, red blood cells are not on the banned list of drugs used by the MLB. Maybe you can enlighten me if I am wrong about that.

“Does MLB have to approve all platelet shots?” That question was answered. Obviously they HAVE approved it. There is a long list of players that have used the procedure.

More reading on the subject.

Yes, you raised a question. I hope it has been answered for you.

Lakers looking better. But, can they beat the elite teams in the West in a long series?

Gordon with another hit, another run and another stolen base. Beckett looked good. Lilly didn’t.

• Ken says:

Thank you for the research including this statement

“While the World Anti-Doping Agency bans other natural growth factors, such as human growth hormones, this procedure for injury healing is allowed provided the injection is into a tendon. If a procedure requires it to be injected into muscle, an athlete must receive a special exemption. The idea behind this exemption is designed to prevent athletes from using the procedure to increase muscle strength.”

Yep.

Probably doesn’t matter anyway. Both JAMA and BJSM report PRP injections don’t really work. Nothing more than placebo. But, if professional athletes and fools like me want to pay $600 a pop, why should anyone stand in the way?

37. Pete M. says:

Why hasn’t Kevin Kennedy’s name ever been brought up in mgr. or coaching positions???
    Barden and Moore to minor lg camp…Does that mean T.G.Jr. is closer to a job??? Like I’ve said before, I like him, but I dont want him on my bench…Castle or SVS or???
    Very quietly Beckett having a helluva ST… Caught a glimpse of him throwing in the back fields at Camelback and the ‘Dough Boy’ is gone from what I saw…
    The Zack G. band will be ok and toeing the rubber April 2…
    Damn that’s close, I can taste my Phillipe’s beef dip already…

38. AnewBlueDay says:

Pete M – Kevin Kennedy has been considered for many many manager positions over the past several years.

But like myself (always coming in second in elections for Pope; thus, not winning) — Kevin comes in second for those jobs.

On his radio show, he has talked several times being interviewed for this or that team, but not getting the job.

He knows the stuff, and I believe would be a good manager — but GMs and owners are looking for younger and different qualities in a manager.

I enjoy his baseball comments every time he talks on his show or others.

• Ken says:

Are you the new Pope? The Cardinal that came in second last time is the new Pope.

Roger is a man of letters, written a few books, and an expert on whodunnit’s, but the leader of the Catholic Church? From San Antonio? I really doubt the next Pope is coming from Texas.

I don’t know what he meant by saying he came in second in that voting, but, would love to hear the splanation.

• AnewBlueDay says:

Last election, I did come in 2nd, but they burned the ballots. So I told them to just take my name off of the placement roll.

My points for this go around were: priests would be able to marry (go back to how it was about 1012 years ago), women with the proper education could be ordained as serve as priests . . . that kind of thing.

But the new guy from Argentina will do fine in the Holy See. But I did have a shot.

39. Quasimodo says:

Deep within my heart there’s a melody. a Pope from o’l San Antone.

40. Pete M. says:

Papal discussions aside, whose pitching today???
    BlueDay…I thought the MLB loves to recycle managers with few exceptions.
    Kennedy seems to have too much going on to be passed over as you/he says repeatedly!?!?
    Now Bowa being rejected, I can see…
    Italy made a good run…Come home Punto, come home…

41. Sonia says:

16ac335faI have to let you know this is outstanding centont. Articles like this are few and far between. You have really done your research. It’s nice to know you care about your presentation. Thank you. 151

42. Ashman says:

Lindsay Lohan Goes to Treatment Today. Smart and practical deiiscon certainly being in treatment would mean she probably won’t abuse her bail conditions and be thrown in jail prior to the case. If on the hearing her one violation was in fact determined to remain the one unsuccessful illegal substance test then the sentence has to be thirty days in prison that is it.

43. Laticia says:

QuotesChimp is interesting to note that over 50 percent of all insurance payouts are made for property damage and not for personal in�juries. It is worth pointing out that insurance industry schemes to limit your rights to recover for personal injuries you have suffered in an auto accident leave untouched this important area of insurance company overhead. Could it be that the personal injury lawsuit crisis the insurance industry complains so bitterly about is really a mirage? We think so.

1. [...] Yes, It’s Early, But It’s Never Too Late! Whenever a favorite player does good or bad, we often hear “Yes, but it’s early.” I subscribe to that same thinking.  You don’t need to worry about Clayton Kershaw or Matt Kemp – they will be OK… and they showed it yesterday. You don’t worry about Adrian Gonzalez – he’ll get it done whether it [...]… [...]