When P(u)igs Fly!

Have you seen Yasiel run, throw and hit?  P(u)igs can fly.  I was wondering who we might compare him to and Don Mattingly came up with the apt comparison – Bo Jackson!  Actually, Yas is bigger than Bo – two or three inches taller and twenty plus pounds heavier, but they both hit the ball with that same “POP!”  In other words, they both hit the dog doo-doo out of a baseball!

Yas will make the team this Spring, only IF two things happen:

1. He has top continue to mash the ball.  He has to demonstrate that his early success can be sustained; and
  2. Carl Crawford has to open the season on the DL, which (in my opinion), is the smartest move.

If Puig continues to fly, AND CC is on the DL, then the Dodgers HAVE to start him in LF.  Period!  End of story.  However, as spring training progresses, Yas is going to face better and better pitchers, so the storyline is yet to be wrote.

I believe that prediction is accurate, and all we can do is sit back and watch.  If it were me, I would hold CC out until Mid-May, just to make sure that the elbow ligament is fully healed.  If he can regain his prowess (and I am not optimistic about that), the Dodgers will need him the rest of the year, not just in April.  They should err on the side of caution.  Don’t believe for a second that the Dodgers won’t start Puig in LF IF he is still hot at the end of Spring Training, AND IF CC is on the DL.

Rants and Raves:

• Juan Uribe is one step closer to breaking with the team for the start of the season.  That means someone won’t make the team that is deserving.  Someone like Elian Herrera, Nick Punto, Alfredo Amezaga,
  • Alex Castellanos is hitting his way off of the team.
  • It looks like no one wants to be the backup catcher.  I thought at least Flores would hit!  FedEx has been impotent with the wood.
  • Big Mac wants the Dodgers to look at more pitches.  Has he explained to them that at some point that they may actually have to HIT the baseball?  He may have left that part out.
  • The Dodgers would be wise to hold off another week or ten days on Zach Greinke.  Don’t push it!!!! They have plenty of starters.  Let him start the season on the DL…
  • It’s way too early to try and predict the opening day roster.  You will probably be as successful as picking every game in the NCAA tournament correctly.  Oh, and put your money on Duke!
  • I said at the start of Spring Training that Josh Beckett looked slim and serious about returning to form as a top pitcher.  I think he will do exactly that.  If he can give the Dodgers 200 innings, he could win 20 games.
  • There are some blogs out there that are excellent (MSTI comes to mind), but some are such fluffy BS, tell the company line, and re-state what has already been said over-and-over that I sometimes feel stupider after reading them. Wow!  Can’t anyone look beyond the obvious?
  • Were some of you really worried about Clayton Kershaw?  I still wonder about his hip, but if it’s OK, he’s Cy Young!
  • Dee Gordon has played exactly how I expected him to play.  He teases you and falls off the map!  Bye!

Photo from www.DodgerBobble.com.

UPDATE:  Puig is still flying & both games are on MLB.  Here’s a view from my desk:

Two-Games

Earth-Covered-70

28 Responses to “When P(u)igs Fly!”

1. Idahoal says:

I agree with you about Puig. If he can continue to hit the next two weeks, he will be on the team in left field. I do not believe Crawford can make it in two weeks. Puig has the potential. Does he have enough experience?

I still do not agree with you on Dee Gordon. I think he has had an good spring. He just needs to stop swinging at bad pitches. He swung at two high fastballs the other day and struck out. His on base percentage is pretty good.

I cannot believe that the Dodgers will keep Uribe. You may be right. He has a contract and they may not want to waste the money. He is at least making it a little easier for the Dodgers to keep him. I hate the thought of him being in a Dodger uniform. Good post Mark.

Very good post.

Crawford is supposed to be the DH in today’s game.

Can’t wait to watch!

4. Bobbie17 says:

Every once in a while, someone is so good, he has to play. Why does it happen to some of the other better teams and not the Dodgers? This could be the time for Yas. It’s about time for the Dodgers.

I don’t think keeping or releasing Uribe necessarily makes much of a difference in what the Dodgers spend on salary. Uribe gets paid whether he’s on the team or not, and his replacement is likely to be a relatively low priced player. So really, the cost of releasing Uribe in dollars is simply the cost of his replacement.

Unless it’s absolutely necessary, I doubt if Puig starts the season in LA. I think the Dodgers would rather he start the season in the minors, and that they will move him up when they deem it appropriate. That could be May, June, or whenever. The games in April count, but ultimately the Dodgers roster will look different at the end of the season than it does now. Happens every year. Didn’t Mike Trout and Bryce Harper open last year in the minors? Not an exact analogy, but I think close enough. Fact is, I believe that Puig has a grand total of 95 professional at bats (not including ST). He also had only limited play in Puerto Rico this past winter after recovering from surgery on his staph infected elbow.

The Dodgers should definitely be cautious with both Crawford and Greinke. But I’ll leave that decision to them, since they know a lot more about the condition of each player. Just hope the players don’t try to overdo it before they’re ready. Hopefully, the Dodgers will do all they can to see that that doesn’t happen.

Dee Gordon. I prefer to wait and see. I never make decisions on small samples, and I won’t now. I do know that when he was in the minors and jumped up to a higher classification, he sometimes got off to a good start, hit the skids for a while, and then picked it up again. That indicates to me that he makes adjustments. I am not so interested in what he does in the short term. So if he opens the season in the minors, that’s OK with me. In the long run I think he’s going to be very good, and that’s what I’m focused on. Like I said earlier, if this is like every prior year, the Dodgers roster will look different at the end of the season that it does at the beginning.

6. Jas says:

I too would like to see Dee Gordon be really good. I just don’t see anything to be excited about.

7. Quasimodo says:

Friends, we finally get to see CC swing today-at last! I don’t have MLBTV, but its on KAL9 here. ;=)

8. Quasimodo says:

Misinformed. Dodgers not on 9. :=(

See update above.

This is the first time I have watched two Dodger games at the same time. AWESOME!

Puig and A-Gon are both hot!

10. Quasimodo says:

That was fun to hear Vin’s voice today. Its still not easy to judge Ryu with the eye test, at least for me. But not as hard as with webcast. M. Ellis did enough for us to relax about 2nd.

Good game on TV with Vinnie! Good approach at the plate by most of the position players. Hitting the other way – way cool!

12. Bball says:

Watching the WBC right now and it got me thinking. Everyone in the world wants to play in the majors cause its supposed to be the best in the world. Hints the World Series. Yet USA is not even in the semis. ( I no the USA didn’t have the best of the best) we have to offer but say Japan wins this thing is there any chance ever that the World Series champion play the Japan champion to see who is exactly the world champion. Example: I would like to see the WBC winner go up against the World Series winner of 2014 in the best of 7. Any chance this ever happens

13. Bball says:

2013 champ I mean

14. AnewBlueDay says:

OK, so I am watching a Dodger minor league pitcher right now, pitching for Puerto Rico against Japan in the WBC.

Name: Mario Santiago. He was originally drafted back in 2005, in the 17th round by K.C. He has kicked around the minors and in Asia since then.

Now with the Dodger orz.

His minor league career has 116 games started; and in a total of 156 games. Recored in the minors of 36-51.

Right now he is winning 1 to 0 against Japan.

Maybe he is the guy the Dodgers finally go to after 1 or 2 of the big 8 are traded or retire (Lilly).

15. Rob says:

Puig needs to be on the opening day roster. That kid is electric and will be the Dodgers next superstar.

And the Dodgers continue to sign international players. Even though the Dodgers system isn’t deep with prospects, we have some good ones. But if they continue top sign international players (and they will), the system is likely to be very deep in the coming years. This will take time, because most of these players are very young. But, at least the process has begun, and will continue.

And of course there’s the June draft.

Rob, I think there’s a good chance that Puig will be playing in LA sometime this year. Maybe even soon. But I don’t think he needs to be on the opening day roster. He’s only 22, and has very little professional experience. Maybe he’s so good that he won’t need all that much experience to make a big impact early. It does happen, and maybe it will happen for him. But even if Crawford isn’t ready early on, Schumaker and Hairston can probably fill-in nicely to begin the season. And if Puig starts in the minors, he can earn his way back by dominating against minor league competition. If he does really well, no reason he can’t be playing in LA in May or June.

You can bet Major League pitchers and scouts will looking closely to find any holes in Puig’s swing. If there are any, they will be found.

I haven’t looked in days, is Gordon still playing well?

19. HemmorhoidRage says:

The Angels had Trout last year, maybe the Dodgers have Puig this year. Trout didn’t start the season with the Angels and won ROY, maybe Puig does the same for the Dodgers this year.

I dont’ know why so few remember that Ellis was tearing it up last year before his leg was torn up. I expect to see the same out of him this year. He looked good against the Brewmeisters yesterday. I too agree we are good at 2B.

20. SpokaneBob says:

Anyone think Yas is better than Mickey Mantle or Willei Mays? Both those players struggled when they first came up with minor league experience behind them. It would not be the best thing for Puig to be matched up aginst front line major league pitching at this point in his development. Once again Brooklyn, our voice of reason has it right. If Yas is THAT good it will show in the minors and he will be better off having worked his way up to the Dodgers.

It looks like we have something special. Lets not mess it up by rushing him to the bigs.

21. Quasimodo says:

I haven’t heard the recent cuts yet. Its been a very long time since Dodgers had so many options. Also haven’t been hearing anything along the lines of chemistry or rants from Giants trolls. Maybe reality is finally settling in-we have a TEAM here!

22. Quasimodo says:

Oddly, Dodgers have dropped to 9/1 while Nats are at 7/1. Dodgers are at top for division but though my lens Dodgers are better than Nats.

23. Pete M. says:

Gotta disagree Quas…I see the Nats as clearly the best in the NL, but that being said, anything can happen in a 5 or 7 gm. series… Tony Gwynn sent to AAA…hate to see it happen but I feel its the right move. Hope Ned can trade him to someone.. Also C Wilkin Castillo and C Castro released…
    Y.P. as Mays or the #7….Please… Trout, dont think so either…Trout is scary and he could be a rebirth of ‘The Kid’…
    Where does this put Y.P….Damnnnnn Good…

24. Pete M. says:

P.S. Quas, I wear those same blue tinted glasses…

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]