Have you seen Yasiel run, throw and hit? P(u)igs can fly. I was wondering who we might compare him to and Don Mattingly came up with the apt comparison – Bo Jackson! Actually, Yas is bigger than Bo – two or three inches taller and twenty plus pounds heavier, but they both hit the ball with that same “POP!” In other words, they both hit the dog doo-doo out of a baseball!
Yas will make the team this Spring, only IF two things happen:
- He has top continue to mash the ball. He has to demonstrate that his early success can be sustained; and
- Carl Crawford has to open the season on the DL, which (in my opinion), is the smartest move.
If Puig continues to fly, AND CC is on the DL, then the Dodgers HAVE to start him in LF. Period! End of story. However, as spring training progresses, Yas is going to face better and better pitchers, so the storyline is yet to be wrote.
I believe that prediction is accurate, and all we can do is sit back and watch. If it were me, I would hold CC out until Mid-May, just to make sure that the elbow ligament is fully healed. If he can regain his prowess (and I am not optimistic about that), the Dodgers will need him the rest of the year, not just in April. They should err on the side of caution. Don’t believe for a second that the Dodgers won’t start Puig in LF IF he is still hot at the end of Spring Training, AND IF CC is on the DL.
Rants and Raves:
- Juan Uribe is one step closer to breaking with the team for the start of the season. That means someone won’t make the team that is deserving. Someone like Elian Herrera, Nick Punto, Alfredo Amezaga,
- Alex Castellanos is hitting his way off of the team.
- It looks like no one wants to be the backup catcher. I thought at least Flores would hit! FedEx has been impotent with the wood.
- Big Mac wants the Dodgers to look at more pitches. Has he explained to them that at some point that they may actually have to HIT the baseball? He may have left that part out.
- The Dodgers would be wise to hold off another week or ten days on Zach Greinke. Don’t push it!!!! They have plenty of starters. Let him start the season on the DL…
- It’s way too early to try and predict the opening day roster. You will probably be as successful as picking every game in the NCAA tournament correctly. Oh, and put your money on Duke!
- I said at the start of Spring Training that Josh Beckett looked slim and serious about returning to form as a top pitcher. I think he will do exactly that. If he can give the Dodgers 200 innings, he could win 20 games.
- There are some blogs out there that are excellent (MSTI comes to mind), but some are such fluffy BS, tell the company line, and re-state what has already been said over-and-over that I sometimes feel stupider after reading them. Wow! Can’t anyone look beyond the obvious?
- Were some of you really worried about Clayton Kershaw? I still wonder about his hip, but if it’s OK, he’s Cy Young!
- Dee Gordon has played exactly how I expected him to play. He teases you and falls off the map! Bye!
Photo from www.DodgerBobble.com.
UPDATE: Puig is still flying & both games are on MLB. Here’s a view from my desk: