The Case FOR Dee Gordon

1. Maybe he will learn to hit;
  2. Maybe he will learn to take more walks (I do see signs of a change in approach);
  3. Maybe he will become a good bunter;
  4. Maybe he will improve defensively;
  5. Maybe he’ll be better at CF or 2B;
  6. Maybe he will improve his SB%; and
  7. We all wish for that.  We wish is a lot.

If wishes were horses we’d all have a ranch!  I’m wishing right there with you – I am just not a believer anymore!  He looks good though… right now – it’s early!

StPatty-BigHonkin-Filter-10-off

27 Responses to “The Case FOR Dee Gordon”

Maybe he could pitch.

Maybe is the most overrated word in the English language.

When will the LAD pitchers begin to lower their ERA?

Herrera looks a lot bigger this year. He is the type of versatile player that Ned likes and therfore he could start the year with LAD instead of Uribe.

Keep Capuano and Fife as long relievers and trade Harang and Lily for $4 OF or AAAA prospects.

I was just thinking about this!

You read my mind. However, you ended your piece with, once again, a negative thought.

I have been clear about how I feel about him. Just have some patience and give him time.

3. AnewBlueDay / Roger Dodger says:

(Looking at the earlier file and posted this, then realized we have moved on.)

Karim Garcia is playing for Mexico in the the WBC; right field. Saw him make a catch in the last game; he was 1 for 4.

Ah yes, Karim Garcia. Once, a Dodger minor league hopeful star.

I saw him play here in San Antonio for the AA team. Know some of the front office staff — and they said his problem was . . . parties. His friends would come up from Mexico and want to party at all hours. He could not say no to them.

Karim has not played in the majors since 2004.

But from 1995 through 2004, he played for 7 different major league teams.
    In that time, Basebnall-Reference.com shows he had 12 different uniforms and numbers on his back. 46, 12, 24, 29, 24, 57, 50, 57, 20, 28, 20, 47. He should probably play those number in lottery chances.

Since then has been in the minors and in Japan baseball. He is now about 37, just ripe for Ned to sign him for a bench role.

I have some of his early baseball cards. Good looking guy.

4. voldomer says:

I didn’t have much hope for Gordon entering spring training, but I’ve been very impressed with what I’ve seen. He’s taking advantage of the WBC absences and, I think, making a strong case for himself. That said, Ramirez and Cruz are also playing very well. Cruz is making a strong case that last year was not a fluke, and Ramirez seems to have pleased the staff with his work ethic.

I remain somewhat surprised that Gordon hasn’t been tried at 2B. Ellis was a real catalyst when he was healthy last year (remember that the team’s slump began when both he and Kemp went down, after they survived Kemp’s first DL stint), so I understand the hesitancy about replacing him with Gordon. If not this year, however, I suspect it will happen in 2014.

5. SpokaneBob says:

I think your right Voldy. I don’t see the Dodgers giving up on Dee and in fact I believe he will be a starter before the end of the season. We have thunder in the line up but Dee will eventually give us the leadoff guy we need to really charge the offense into something special.

So here one vote for Gordon proving Mark wrong.

6. Pete M. says:

A Donnie Baseball dilemna!!!
    You’ve got Barden vs. Moore vs. Castellanos vs. Puig vs. T.G. Jr. vs. ???I’ll still go with my boy Castellanos, but believe the cheese is binding at this point. Does anyone out there have this feeling that Donnie might go with Gwynn??? (I like T.G.Jr. but I hope not)… I think him and Uribe could go soon………
    Then there’s Herrera vs. Amezaga vs. Dee G. vs. Luna vs. Sellers vs. ?? (I had to throw in Justin becuz I like him)…

I see a plethora of journeymen backups on that list. My guess is Donnie goes with the veteran he feels has more left in the tank. Puig starts, either here or at AAA. Not sure where Castellanos belongs. I still don’t see Ellis as an everyday player.

Barden is earning a 4A spot at Albu.

We appear to be divided on Gordon. Different POVs are to be expected.

8. AnewBlueDay / Roger Dodger says:

Thinking of Mark, and thinking of trades –

I always think of Carlos Santana who the Dodger GAVE to Cleveland.

Just saw Santana’s big HR in the CWS. A bomb. And just think, if he had never been traded to Cleveland — he could have been the Dodger catcher.

So far with Cleveland, he has 1209 ABs with 51 HRs, 177 RBIs — oh well.

Hey, maybe Mark will figure out a trade with Cleveland, and GIVE Dee Gordon to the Indians

9. the truth hurts says:

Ya Roger, I would rather have Santana now then Blake then. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess. I worked for the Braves minor league affiliate and saw Carlos play in the High A all star game and thought, this kid is going to make us forget about Lo Duca. I was wrong.

Hanley looks real patient at the plate. Walked twice. Good stuff.

Time to check out Agon and Cruz.

10. AnewBlueDay / Roger Dodger says:

With the clog of players for backup roles — I think I trade Mark Ellis if a team needs a 2nd baseman (because of some injury in Spring Training). Mark helped the team last year. Great at moving runners along and all. And his glove was solid.

But the Dodgers need more from this now aging vet (35).

Flash: Mexico and Canada are really going at it in their game — and they are battling in Phoenix, Arizona. Or to say it another way: Mexico and Canada are fighting it out in the United States — to see who lives for another day.

11. the truth hurts says:

How about the case FOR Ryu? I hope Ryu can prove this article wrong…

Anyone have any thoughts about this guy from what they have heard or seen?

12. Quasimodo says:

Sure seems Kemp is trying too hard to play MVP ball and sadly coming up a little short. But I have no fear when it come to Kemp. Yesterdays bench question about 1B backup seems already answered with Hairston (who just advance Puig and Castellanos just homered Puig in) and bench options get wider. That term ‘chemistry’ that we keep hearing is certainly nothing to fear, Dodgers are stacked with ‘reagents’.

13. Quasimodo says:

If it turns out that Cruz called that shot that started all that I’ll be looking at him with less respect. It fits about equal with Hamels shot at Harper. Hope he’s not what caused it-I really like the kid.

Turns out that Gordon’s attitude is better than Cruz’s so here is hoping that Gordon starts at SS and Hanley plays 3B for most of 2013.

15. HemmorhoidRage says:

I must have missed it, what shot did Cruz call? Or are you saying he is in a mexican cartel and is a shot-caller?

Seems like Mark was dishing out a little sarcasm as regards Gordon. Doesn’t matter. Only time will tell. I expect that he will improve gradually over time in various areas,as is often the case with young, relatively inexperienced players. Like I said, time will give us the answers. And MAYBE he’ll end up being our shortstop, or MAYBE he’ll move to another position. Time again will tell us. Lots of POV’s, none of which is written in stone. I like Gordon, Badger likes Gordon, others like Gordon, and some don’t like Gordon, and there are probably some on the fence.

The article on Ryu was essentially, stupid. How can anyone judge a pitcher’s fastball this early in the spring? And if anyone ever saw John Tudor pitch, they will know how effective a change-up can be. I haven’t seen Ryu pitch, but even if I had, I’d probably be withhholding judgment at this juncture.

Gordon will not end up on the Dodger bench. Either he plays regularly, or he goes down to ALBQ to continue working and improving. That might even be in his best interest at this time. A May or June call-up might be just what the doctor ordered.

Like Badger, “I see a plethora of journeymen backups on that list”. 4A is probably a good description for a lot them. And let’s keep in mind, that the team the Dodgers open the season with will not likely be the one they end it with. Happens every year, and this year is not likely to be any different, especially now that we have an ownership always in the hunt for new, impact talent.

17. Quasimodo says:

Watching on TV, the commentators were saying after Canada laid bunt down towards 3B Cruz signed pitcher to hit batter.

18. the truth hurts says:

So the Mexican pitcher missed twice inside, then both benches were warned, THEN he belts him in the back. I think that falls on the pitcher. Cruz should have never gestured to hit, but that is baseball. At least he is honest.

19. Bball says:

I would oh beamed him too. Bunting in a 9-3 game plus hard slide into second that was uncalled for. Cruz did nothing wronge. They had it coming

• Kevin says:

It was a bush league move by Cruz. There is a tiebreaker regarding run differential which is why the Canadians were trying to score more runs. They lost by 10 yesterday so they need the runs. The Mexican fans were about as classy as Cruz was.

20. HemmorhoidRage says:

Oh now I really want Cruz in our starting line-up then. Good hard-nosed baseball player is a very good thing.

21. the truth hurts says:

LoL, I knew you would love it Rage, I’m with you and bball.

That guy was CRUZIN FOR A BRUISIN. Start printing the t-shirts.

Anybody see Zambrano show up the umpire in the 4th of the Venezuela game? That guy is a lunatic but entertaining as hell.

At least Cruz and Gonz can get back to spring training with the team now.

The WBC officials need to look at the tiebreaking rule. Run differential plays into any tie breaking situations, so, that bunt was not out of line.

Mexico, and their fans, should be embarrassed by this ridiculous outburst. They know the rules. And yet they pulled this.

23. I blog quite often and I genuinely appreciate
    your content. Your article has really peaked my interest.

I am going to bookmark your blog and keep checking for new details about once
    a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.