More Than Just a Sore Elbow

You don’t get a platelet-rich plasma therapy if there’s not something pretty serious wrong with your elbow.  I’m just saying…

Dodger brass are worried sick.

Our worst fears my be realized…

Zack Greinke and Chad Billingsley are both experiments.

… and I haven’t even mentioned Carl Crawford.

YIKES!!!

Good thing there are lots of options.  Have you considered that this could be the Dodgers rotation this year?

1. Kershaw
  2. Beckett
  3. Capuano
  4. Harang
  5. Lilly

StPat-Sale-10off

62 Responses to “More Than Just a Sore Elbow”

We know you are the King of Worry and the Master of Disaster…. but from all I am reading, Greinke is going to be fine:

“The Dodgers say Greinke … will resume a “progressive throwing program” in two to three days.

Greinke had an MRI in Arizona last week, which showed no structural damage to the ligaments or tendons of the elbow. Greinke threw a bullpen session after the MRI, and wowed manager Don Mattingly.

“I was in there the other day when he was throwing that bullpen and if that’s a guy that’s hurt,” Mattingly said Monday morning. “If there is something serious going on that would be a shocker.”

If there is something “serious” going on that would be a “shocker”.

You remain worried. I remain confident. It’s all going to work out fine. The Dodgers are a good club run by confident people. No matter what happens, this team will compete.

This is the difference between those that have and those that have so damn much it don’t matter what they lose, they just get more. Many clubs in the league have X amount of resources and when that is gone, it’s bring up the AA players and hope for the best. The Dodgers are now a member of the 1%. I remain surprised you still don’t understand what that means. The 1% have nothing to worry about. Their Bugatti breaks down, they buy the new Ferrari.

Relax man. It’s all good.

2. AnewBlueDay says:

I hear you Badger. But . . .

But — I keep seeing a pitcher, and his pitching arm throwing as a teenager, as a minor leaguer, then in the majors . . . season after season. Long seasons. Important games and all.

Then, one day an oh-wee . . . pain, hurt, rest, exercise. Feels better, slow-comeback.

Front office looks to see who else can fill in . . . look for a possible short-gap pick up.

But — pitcher comes back . . . but everyone from the training staff on down, watching every pitch . . . wonders if that pitch will cause a problem.

Soooooo not the end of the world, but some concern.

Remember the days of 300 innings pitched? There is a long list of ML pitchers who threw over 3500 innings, some over 5,000 innings. Whatever happened to those guys? What were guys like Seaver, Carlton, Gibson, Kaat, Ryan, Blyleven, Maddux, Randy Johnson….. there is long list of guys who through hard, racked up the innings and pitched effectively into their late 30′s, even into their 40′s. What were they doing that these guys who throw only 200 innings and get hurt are not doing?

These guys are either pussies or they are doing something wrong. Maybe what has happened is they get that “lifetime on easy street” contract and their motivation is stymied.

Guaranteed contracts is and always has been a very bad idea.

Very true Mark.

And our lineup could be

C – Castro
    1b – Uribe
    2b – Castellanos
    SS – Herrera
    3b – Punto
    LF – Gwynn
    CF – Shoemaker
    RF – Hairston

Oh dear god time to panic!!!!

4. Pete M. says:

Right on Badger…And in alot of cases used ST to get in shape…Those were the days…
    You can also add middle men, set-up men and closers to the list.
    Zack G. band will be okay…
    Making $65,000.00 + DAILY can stir up the media and FANS ANXIOUSNESS…

My best YEARS were about that much. Of course, that was in the 80′s.

I am choosing not be anxious about any of this. I was REALLY anxious when McCockroach was running things. I could sense the team was going over a cliff with that guy. It amazes me how calm and collected Mark was during that period. Now that we have cash flow he seems far more worried.

It’s all good. The organization will heal. It might take more than a year to do it, but I trust it will get done.

5. Pete M. says:

Hopefully we get back to utilizing our minor lg. system to fill holes and an occasional free agent to spice things up.
    Puig, Seagar, Magill etc. gets me thinking this will happen…
    I know you’re not the anx type Badger. Good pitching, good health and a little luck is what we need.

“You don’t get a platelet-rich plasma therapy if there’s not something pretty serious wrong with your elbow.”

Badger, he’s just not “the King of Worry and the Master of Disaster”, but he’s also DOCTOR Timmons. Well, I’m not a doctor, but it seems perfectly logical to me that PRP would be used as a preventative treatment, and not just as a last ditch therapy. I don’t necessarily believe everything I believe, so I’m taking the pronouncements out of the Dodger camp with a degree of skepticism, but also realizing that everything being done may well be out of a sense of caution. And if the MRI is a true gauge of Greinke’s current health, then this is probably just a minor irritation. But nothing is minor with a $147 million arm, and it certainly won’t be treated so by the media, or for that matter, Mark.

Mark is known for throwing a lot of crap against the wall just to see what sticks. I swear over the years I believe he has thrown his most hilarious and off the wall billsh!t right at me then laughs his ass off as I bite on it.

Having said that it seems like more than a usual amount of concern is showing up here.

I like what I see from this organization. I like the moves that have been made, I like how they are going about rebuilding the system and I have an enormous amount of respect for Stan Kasten.

I remain confident. The gints are gong to be chasing us. I can just feel it.

7. RogerCraig says:

We know that a cortisone shot works on tendinitis. So, why would they give Greinke a Platelet Rich Plasma Injection?

Answer, the injury is more than the Dodgers are telling you. Mark is probably right, and you are all engaging in wishful thinking.

If you are inclined, read the facts:

• Dave says:

Condensed healing platelets in your blood, are just that condensed , then extracted and injected in strained , inflammed , tear and so on because of there high percentage of healers it will speed up what ever process that needs to be healed they are used for non tears and the such its not a exact science but it sure cant hurt but trust me they get it right on the spot by watching and knowing exactly where to deposit it and it smarts mri image of where the problem is utilized with sonar to pin point where its released right into the problem you now have a 100% more gremlins trying to fix things ive had one and my boy had one they work for some and not others key is getting it right on the problem area then shoot s little bits bye moving that needle in different spots is it a micro tear who nows it is what it is will see what happens !

8. Bball says:

If greinke does end up being out for some time I’m not worried. Does it suck. Ya but last year pitching was not the problem other then some blown saves. If the offense stays healthy we will be fine.

Thank you Bball. You’re right.

Good article Mr Craig. Glad to read that guy doesn’t think PRP and PED’s are on the same page. I agree with that. But, if you want real science, try this one:

That is what I read to get me started on treatments.

The science is young on this subject. I know I feel better, but I am also running my own micro current and ultra sound treatments on myself. I am pretty sure those therapies work, and I would like to believe PRP works (it’s damn expensive) but I keep reading the real science is not in on it yet.

10. Quasimodo says:

Cortisone is fairly age old. PRP’s have been claimed to be cutting edge modern in healing. I don’t think cortisone heals, but I’ve had neither.

11. Quasimodo says:

Well looking at long-odds Dodgers have fallen to 8.5/1 (which is division lead) and Nats lead league at 7/1. Still, Dodgers are my team and I never bet against them. I liked Hearns more than Hagler, but my bet went to Hagler.

12. Anonymous says:

weight lefting is the problem .i am 67 and most did not left weight back in my day ..a few did not the most.

13. AnewBlueDay says:

Anyone kind of concerned about Dodger hitting this Spring?

Spring Training games are not to be won, but to get work in, see the farm players a bit, and work into shape. Getting swings, professional pitching, and not just pitching machines.

So far, looking at the schedule, the Dodgers have won 4 or so games and lost 7. Whatever. But they are loosing to the Cubs right now 5 to zip.

At some point they need to get some wood on the ball.

Today’s game had Ellis, Ethier, Kemp, Gonzales, Hairston, Cruz, Ellis, and Amezaga in the starting lineup. And guess what — only the minor leaguer has the only hit so far === Amezaga.

So, as the month wears on, would really like to see some of the Dodger hitters getting some better ABs.

The new #4 or #5 starter – Capuano today (so far) 4 innings, 6 hits – ERA of 11.00.

Need to get these guys in shape.

14. Bball says:

Listening to MLB radio today. They had greinke on and asked what are the chances your ready for opening day and he said 0%. Well there ya go. Straight from the horses mouth. So those holding onto hope just giving u a heads up. So is Beckett or Bills the new #2

15. Bball says:

I screwed that up. He told them there’s 0% chance he’s 100% healthy.

16. AnewBlueDay says:

Easy. Beckett is #2.

Ryu is #3 in my book.

And the rest is a crap shoot

Pretty soon, Fife will be starting.

Oh, Dodgers should find a way, for awhile, to keep Harang and Capuano as Dodgers. They would probably only get some minor leaguer, bench warmer for them anyway.

So just who are the hot-shot starters in AA and AAA for the Dodgers this year???

Might be very important.

17. HemmorhoidRage says:

Where can I get a six-pack of PRP?

I agree with whatever the hell Dave posted, LOL

18. HemmorhoidRage says:

Announcer on WBC tonight, pointed out big improvements in Headly Ramirez swing, not lifting his lead foot up in the air and making a short stride instead. Yes, he went yard tonight. Now if Headly can keep it up and not revert back, we may be looking at a huge return to glory for Headly. “That’s Headleeeee!”

19. Quasimodo says:

Watching US vs Dominican. Those goddamn pump-trumpets! What idiot would think that is good for the game?

Greinke isn’t pitching Opening Day. And he can be pushed to the back of the rotation and even miss a start.

Viva la Dave!

Who’s Dave?

21. the truth hurts says:

Im dave

22. HemmorhoidRage says:

Dave’s not here! (Tommy Chong voice)

23. AnewBlueDay says:

Joe’s back is to the wall. Tomorrow is do or die for Joe . . . The D.R. just took the USA team to the brink and made the USA team look so weak in the 9th.

World Series feel that this game.

24. 1000OaksDave says:

Badger, how much do you pay per treatment? I received my semi-annual shot of synvisc in my left knee last week (it was reconstructed two years ago due to torn ACL and meniscus). I have very little cartilage left and the synvisc works well for me in that regard. I asked my ortho about PRP and he didn’t recommend it but also didn’t go so far as to say it would be wasteful in my case. In fact, he said he’d do one shot of it at cost ($400 was his quote). He didn’t offer his reasons for why he’d do it only $400 but I’d guess its because ethically he doesn’t see that it is a best course of treatment for me AND because I’m such a good patient (I’m scheduled for an upcoming knee reconstruction on my other knee).

• Quasimodo says:

Dave, torn ACL and meniscus is what a doctor told me was my problem. And waking up from surgery I was told neither was the problem. So what did the doctor do for me? Well it seems to me he gave a spot for clots to start, which became DVT, fallowed by a stroke. I feel I’d be healthier had I never gone to a doctor.

25. 1000OaksDave says:

Not me. I had to change to 100OaksDave after reading his posts. Mark, get a grammar check tool for this site, not just an edit button. We all make errors but talk about run-on sentences…geez

Badger, I posted a question up a ways about your cost of PRP treatments in case you don’t go back and re-read earlier posts. What is the cost per treatment?

• 1000OaksDave says:

Oh, there it is below now. I’m SO confused.

• 1000OaksDave says:

What, now its above? I need coffee, not PRP (unless PRP stimulates brain cell growth).

I had both knees and both shoulders done for $600. The doc, in Phoenix, was a friend of a friend and did me a favor. Typically it’s $750 for all four. It doesn’t take that much longer to do all of them. But, man is it painful. Over 30 shots into your joints. I get really goofy after it. Wife has to drive.

I had the same experience you did with the VA in Prescott. My ortho said he had done PRP in his private practice and wouldn’t recommend them for my shoulders. I found that odd. You did it in private practice, I have rotator cuff tears, why wouldn’t you recommend it? He had no answer. I will have another synvisc in May. One every 6 months is what he told me. But he is only doing one knee. I wanted something done in all four quadrants as trying to operate with bad knees and cuff tears is both painful and annoying. I was benching 200 before all of this happened. I am down to about 145 with high reps. Have to be very careful. I was also climbing the high peaks in the West with some friends. The last one was the highest mountain in Colorado. Won’t be doing any of that again.

Getting old ain’t for pussies.

• Dodger66 says:

Man it is a regular Mash unit in here today. I thought I was in bad shape with a bum shoulder, and back. It could get worse, and probably will as I am only 46. It sure does suck getting old.

26. beckett_rockett says:

1. Opening day roster(25):
    Kershaw, Beckett, Billingsley, Ryu, Harang
    Jensen, League, Belisario, Guerrier, Howell, Capuano, Gregg
    A.J. Ellis, Gonzalez, M.Ellis, Ramirez, Cruz
    Schumaker, Kemp, Ethier
    Federowicz, Uribe, Punto, Hairston, Castellanos

2. DL
    Greinke, Lily, Elbert, Crawford, Tolleson

3. major-ready minor leaguer
    Puig, Herrera, Flfe, Wall, Guerra, Gordon

27. AnewBlueDay says:

Not bad.

Not sure Ned can do much more without a trade.

L.A. Dodgers have had a so-so bench for years and years now. No power or thunder off that bench (unless one says Uribe). Federowicz just does not have the skills yet, IMHO.

28. Pete M. says:

Bench… Just had flashbacks of Olmedo ‘Killer Tomato’ Saenz… There for awhile, it was easier to get a pork chop past a wolf than a fastball past hom…

Been asking for some bench thunder for weeks now. We don’t have any.

Take Kobe out. Good way to stop the Lakers. How was that NOT a foul? Cheap shot. PRP his ankle. Maybe he is back in a couple days.

Heading back to Denver. Prelim on Tuesday. Wish us luck. We’re gonna need it.

30. AnewBlueDay says:

Luck always . . . good fortune . . . all pleasant surprises . . . keep the faith.

31. Bball says:

I was gonna say Brandon Bosch but he just got picked up by the yanks.

32. KEN says:

No bench? Of the first 6 batters in the lineup today eaach of the first 6 bench players have a higher batting average than the starters. :)

?

Spring Training averages mean nothing to starters. Those guys know what they need to do to get ready for the season. The rest of those players are all fighting for roster spots.

But it is interesting to read that box score.

Who is Castro? Man has an ERA of 81 and choked it up in the 9th big time.

On the road at early thirty.

33. HemmorhoidRage says:

Fidel Castro has an ERA of 81, of course he does he’s a sick old dictator. Give the guy a break, he shouldn’t even be in there

Whats up is down and vice versa in spring training.
    Last ST Matt was down but if you you have anything in your cranium you recall how he put his gameface on when it mattered.
    OMG, Uribe has a higher BA than Kemp.
    Marks first love, Andy TheRoach has gone yard 4 times with the Jays in the playtime games, bet he doesn’t make the final cut.
    I LUV the tournaments leading up to selection Sunday and I used to rout for Duke but I am totally sick Of coach K, what a baby, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing them bounced this evening. Sorry, Mark

P.S. I read earlier where Kim Kardashian got PRP injections in her face which is known as a “vampire facial”

35. AnewBlueDay says:

I see that the Red Sox have sent Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster down to AAA.

36. AnewBlueDay says:

U.S.A. just bit the dust. PR is the winner.

Uribe 4-4 batting clean up today – now .345 :)

Yes Puig, 5 tool player?, should learn to play 3B

Maybe if Puig is told that he will start the year with the LAD and that he will be sent down to AA after 2-3 weeks, when Crawford is ready?, he will not press and will actually cause the fans to root for him to stay with the LAD as the 3rd/4th OF platooning with Crawford and Ethier and spelling Kemp. Just a little more upside than Gwynn. :)

“We’ll see how he pops out of these two days. We know he was sore today, body wise. Just regular soreness that you’ll have playing, and in a different gear,” Mattingly said

Will he pop out of a cake? Who is having a birthday party?
    Oh! I thought he would be sore brain wise!
    Is he sore from ridding the stationary bike in the wrong gear?

What a contrast between Donnie and Vinnie :)

40. Gonzo says:

Kardashian getting a facial is news? She should be used to getting facials. Anyhow, Puig is being compared to Bo Jackson. If he continues to rake it might make me reconsider my willingness for him to be offered in the right deal.

I’m tellinig you regardless of what the Dodgers do with Puig, Ethier’s days in LA are numbered. I give him a 40% chance to finish his contract in LA.

As for Puig to 3B, why? Seager is getting ready and will be up in abiut 3 years. Be ready for a youth movement for the 2018 season. It’s a good time to be a Dodger fan.

Funny how some of you are mentioning knee and shoulder surgeries. I had an MRI for my right hip and knee. I got a feeling I’m going under the knife, again. Luckily the Ortho Doc that did my shoulder was the surgeon for the Dbacks, so I that is a relief for me.

• Ken says:

I’m joking around. It is much easier to move from 3B to LF than the other way around. But shouldn’t a true 5 tool player be able to move from the outfield to the infield?

41. Bobbie17 says:

All this medical talk leads to the obvious conclusion that this team will need to score runs. The only proven, uninjured starting pitcher is Beckett. Don’t be surprised is he becomes #1 before all this medical stuff sorts out with Kershaw. How can we score 5 runs a game? Start Puig in LF, that’s how. He’s won the spot unless the next 2 weeks drop him. I doubt if they will.

42. Pete M. says:

Why in hell is Barney Fife the forgotten man?? Its Cap this, Harang that n what about Lilly… Fife can jump in the #5 spot easy…
    Gonzo, lke your thoughts except I think a few will be coming in next year. I expect Wall, Magill and Puig to force themselves on the roster. Seagar wins a spot in 2014 ST or later that year during callups TO STAY!!!
    Bo Knows Baseball was one of my favorites and to be mentioned in the same sentence is high praise…

43. Pete M. says:

OOPs…I meant 2015 ST for Seager…

44. 1000OaksDave says:

I guess “was the surgeon” for a sports team is good Gonzo. . .makes sense to me. My ortho who did my left knee in April 2011 and will do my right knee this June was the team surgeon for the L.A Aztecs. Still, going under the knife is risky. I know guys who have messed up knees and have gotten themselves in the best shape of their lives because of that AND because they they will never be cut into. . .including a doctor friend of mine in his late 50′s who can still bring it at the dojo. I struggle with the question of whether its worth the risk of surgery or not but also struggle with. . . what if I say NO now and later can’t afford the option? I have great medical benefits so I will continue put them to the test.

This from MSTI. Makes a lot of sense to me. Don’t think I have anything to add.

“Well, one thing — it’d be nice if we could stop acting as if Opening Day is some kind of absolute deadline for banged-up players. If Carl Crawford isn’t ready on April 1, why push him? The team needs him on June 1 and August 1 and in 2014 and 2015. I think we’d all rather have lived with Skalex Hairschullanos, Jr. for a few weeks rather than push Crawford and have his elbow pop — along with any hope of him earning some of that $105 million. The same goes for Zack Greinke, because while he’s busy saying that there’s “zero chance” he’ll be 100% by Opening Day, we’ve also got “time is running short” stories on the official site. It’s not. We’ve been over this. There’s plenty of depth and plenty of off-days. Don’t rush either, and we’ll all be happier in the long run.”

I still doubt if Puig will be on the opening day roster. I think the Dodgers would rather take their time, and let him have some success in AA or AAA before bringing him up. And there is talk that he has had some strikeout problems against tough breaking balls. If he does well at wherever he goes, he’ll be up with the Dodgers in due time. And if injuries don’t become an issue, I still think, that if he’s producing big time in the minors, the Dodgers will find a way to get him into the lineup in LA. This team probably has enough money to make it possible to carry a high priced 4th outfielder, a platoon player in either corner and someone who makes it possible for the Dodgers to use one of their outfielders as a DH in interleague games.

In the end, talent and productivity will be the determining factors.

Seriously!! I don’t care who plays Apr. 1. If some guys are ready April 8, April 29, thats fine.

I want this team getting hot in the 2nd half of the year when everyone is healthy and gelling.

This isn’t the NFL, where if you start 0-2, stats say you only have a 25% chance of making the playoffs. This is baseball, where you can be average, and get hot in Sept, and ride it all into Oct.

They say Carl Crawford may start at DH tomorrow. That will be worth watching!!

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]

2. [...] March 14th I write this:   “You don’t get a platelet-rich plasma therapy if there’s not something [...]