Let’s Get Real Everybody!

DEE GORDON:

You usually move a player from one position to another, when two things occur (generally in this order):

1. The player looks shaky at a certain position there is a need at another position; and
  2. The player shows he is a hitter and needs to move to keep his bat in the lineup.

Dee Gordon has shown he might not be able to handle SS defensively, but he has also never shown us he can hit.  Don’t tell me otherwise – he just hasn’t!  We need to stop figuring out where to play D-Flash: 2B or CF – he just needs to bloom where he is planted.  He has the skill to play SS, but not the concentration.  It will be the same if he plays 2B or CF.  We need to quit making excuses for Dee.  He just has to do it!  He is headed to AAA to play SS.  This is his last chance.  Give it to him and maybe he will take it.  If not, move on.

YASIEL PUIG:

Yeah, I get that he is raw and needs seasoning, but with raw talent it can never be predicted how a player might do at a higher level.  If Puig continues to hit and display his skills AND if Carl Crawford can’t cut it on Opening Day, I would not be surprised to see “The Beast” in LF.  That’s right, I call him “The Beast.”  The Beast and The Bison.”  I dig it!

AARON HARANG:

He will be traded soon…

CARL CRAWFORD:

I still say this is a terrible acquisition and boy, I hope I am soooooo wrong!  Do you remember Cal Daniels when he was with the Dodgers?  This is so deja vu!  He had a couple of good years, but he was so much younger…

JOSH BECKETT:

He might win 20 this year.  He is in great shape.

StPatty_Greenwave_10

43 Responses to “Let’s Get Real Everybody!”

Dee Gordon’s problem at short appears to be throwing, not fielding the ball. A shift to 2B could be the answer, since the throws are mostly shorter.

Regarding Gordon, I don’t accept your comment that “he has also never shown us he can hit. Don’t tell me otherwise – he just hasn’t!” So I’ll tell you otherwise. When he came up in 2011 he hit .304 in 224 ABs. I believe if you include last year, his current lifetime average is about .260. He has shown he can hit, but has not yet shown us that he can do it consistently. So for now, as far as I’m concerned, the jury is out.

And his speed can’t be discounted either. Despite his low OBP last year, when he went out with his injury in July, he was leading the league in stolen bases.

As for Puig. I’ll accept whatever decision Dodgers management makes. They know him a lot better than any of us, so for the time being I’ll accept their judgment.

Badger, you asked about Brian Barden at the end of the last thread. Here’s the numbers:

Given that he’s hitting .600 this spring, according to the B17 formula, the 32 year old needs to be in starting lineup on opening day.

• Ken says:

Any truth to the rumor that Barden got cut last year while playing in the Japanese minor leagues?

• Prostrate says:

What’s keeping Gordon alive for the Dodgers is his speed and their need for a lead-off hitter. Were those two factors not in play Gordon would be trade-package material. One more shot at AAA,but it will be the last. As far as Puig goes, everyone is writing him in and writing Crawford out. We need to see Crawford playing when he is well, give him a month or so to show what he can do, send Puig to the minors, and bring him up if and when Crawford flops. Plenty of time to do this in April and May.

“Dee Gordon has shown he might not be able to handle SS defensively, but he has also never shown us he can hit. Don’t tell me otherwise – he just hasn’t!”

Not true.

He hit over .300 three times in the minors and he hit over .300 his first year with the Major League team. I am surprised you didn’t know that.

Carl Crawford a terrible acquisition? How so? What, you prefer to go with what we had in left field last year?

Don’t you realize we are now full fledged card carrying members of the 1%? We got f*ck you money. It don’t matter if Crawford can’t play. If the Bugatti don’t run, the Dodgers just buy a Lamborghini, or maybe that Aston Martin One-77. I am surprised you don’t know that.

I remain confident.

• DodgerDude says:

There are lots of guys who hit .300 in the minors, came up and looked great for a minute and never hit again.

I think Mark means that he has never hit hit with any consistency in the majors – and he has not!

Never?

Mark said, and I quote “he has also never shown us he can hit.”

And that is simply not true. He HAS shown us he can hit.

Never?

I submit to you, he only has 300 at bats in the Major Leagues, not even a half a full season. You and Mark are ready to say he can’t hit after such a small sample? I say that is a very narrow minded position. You say “never” after only 300 at bats – I wonder how many Hall of Famers you would have dumped after watching their first 300 at bats.

Let’s try to keep an open mind about this kid.

3. HemmorhoidRage says:

if Dee can learn to work the count and get more walks he doesn’t really have to hit .300. give me a high on-base % from my lead-off base stealer, that works every time.

Amen to that. And so far, he is getting on base. But I think I agree with those who believe he will start the year in the minors. Hope he tears it up down there.

4. SpokaneBob says:

Only time will tell about Gordon, Crawford or any other player. But your “Get Real” title should really be applied to our expectations for everyone on the opening day roster. I find myself so excited about this team and our season that I am distress when Matt doesn’t get a hit or Clayton gives one up. I had to give myself a reality check and remind myself that a 300 hitter fails 7 times out of 10 and that NONE of our pitchers are going to have a 0.00 ERA. This team is going to be very good. How good depends on alot of factors we cannot forsee or will even be aware of. If we are lucky the team will gel and have the kind of chemistry that makes it better than just its indivudial players. In any case I am just going to try to relax and enjoy the good while excepting the failures that are sure to happen.

5. beckett_rockett says:

1. Dee is in the making. Don’t judge his consistency with just one full year major league result.

2.CC should bounce back, and he will. He is in good shape.

3. If Aaron Harang is traded, I hope a decent rookie-leveled prospect in return. (infielders prefered)

4. every odd year, Beckett was very good.

6. Gonzo says:

The knock on Dee for me is his age. Granted, I believe that he is 24 which is young and about the age that kids start getting their shot. But, Dee is still learning the game and that is my red flag. At his age how long are the Dodgers willing to wait for him to develop?

If he lights it up at AAA he needs be in the same category as Puig, trade bait for the right offer. I remember when Kuo was lights out and his value was off the charts. I mentioned that he could get the team a very good return, but nothing was done. I like to follow the Belecik rule, get rid of a player one year too early rather than a year too late.

7. HemmorhoidRage says:

The other Belechik Rules, 1. cheat whenever you think you can get away with it, 2. Treat the press like you think they are all idiots asking stupid questions (which is usually the case), lol

Dee hasn’t shown anything consistent, GOOD OR BAD. Too early to make some bold statements on him.

We also haven’t seen Carl Crawford pick up a bat or run in the field, there is ZERO basis to formulate any opinion on him. I understand having legit concerns that he might never be the same because of 2 serious surgeries, but we need some at bats to see for ourselves.

The ONLY thing that matters this spring is that we do whatever it takes to beat the Giants in a spring game!!! (oh wait, sorry, wrong Bobby/Bobbie)…

9. Dodgerdog says:

Gordon – He needs to play. Minors, majors (won’t happen with the Dodgers this year without an injury) but he needs to play everyday. Can’t give up on him yet but he knows what he needs to work on, he just needs to do it.

Puig – Until last year I would have said the Dodgers would be insane to have him in the majors to start the season. However, after what Cespedes did last year if Puig keeps hitting and Crawford continues to have issues then it may be the best option. I just don’t want to see him go 2-34 and then get sent down.

Beckett – Don’t know about 20 games, though that might be better than the prediction last year :-), but I think he’s going to be a key this year.

On a side note we have between 20 and 37 million coming off the payroll after this year depending on Harang’s and Cap’s option buyouts – Uribe, Lilly, Harang, Capuano and Mannywood. That last one is a whole other topic when you consider we still have to pay Andruw Jones next year.

10. Bobbie17 says:

Everyone is using a lot of words on Gordon. The guy at best is a small piece of a bigger puzzle. By the time he is any good, hopefully someone else will be ready to take his spot. I agree with Mark about Puig and Beckett. Great potential and great past, respectively. We might need Beckett more than we think. It wouldn’t surprise me if he jumps to #2 before too long. He is the most important pitcher on this team right now.

11. Quasimodo says:

There is simply no reason for a heated discussion about Gordon at this time. He’ll be safely in the minors without the threat of being traded. We’ve seen too much of him way too soon. It surely wouldn’t shock me if he started 2014 playing SS because he doesn’t lack concentration.

12. AnewBlueDay / Roger Dodger says:

Ryu holding Cleveland to 2 hits after 3 innings with 5 Ks. Not bad.

Also have on the Dodger vs. Mexico game. 5 to zip LA in the 3rd.

13. HemmorhoidRage says:

Sorry Quas, I don’t see anyone having a “heated discussion about Gordon”, I see a very calm and civil trading of ideas about Gordon. Shoot even me and Badge are enjoying each other’s thoughts and posts (yeah Badge I like the civility we are both exhibiting, let’s keep it up and enjoy it). I actually think that Gordon has so many pluses, he gives a lot of options for a manager, he’s fast, pretty strong arm but erratic, good attitude, hustles every play, can play SS or 2B, has the speed for any outfield position, can steal bases, the dude has a great upside. Now if he can grow into a good lead-off hitter the sky will be the limit (sort of) for this guy. I think he is capable of becoming that lead-off guy in the near future. Big Mac is going to emphasis his good traits and not screw with his head about what he does poorly, that’s one reason I like the idea of Gordon being up on the big squad, he gets time with Big Mac. I see the reasoning to let him play everyday in AAA, but he doesn’t have Big Mac in Albajerky. Mac’s record of what he accomplished with the Cardinals speaks volumes to the plus of having Gordon around him everyday. If Crawford isn’t ready to go, and Kemp needs some days off (according to Donnie BBballs) Gordon should definitely get a look as a platoon OF, on other days he can get spot duty at SS and 2B, but everyday he gets to work with Mac.

• Quasimodo says:

Rage, you are correct-my poorly chosen words

• Quasimodo says:

Rage, you’ve gained more faith in McGwire….good. You kinda insulted me when I expressed my faith in McGwire on Feb 1st. But no harm.

• HemmorhoidRage says:

Actually was just poking fun at the Dodgers getting a coach so closely tied to the roids era. Years ago, I use to actually work out in a gym (Alemeda) that Mac worked out in when he was with the A’s. We all knew he was on the juice at the time, severe acne on his back and very yellowed eyes were some of the give aways. He actually was a pretty decent guy to everyone in there. Personally, I know those guys make a lot of money and have large egos and thus got into PEDs, but personally you have to question someone’s intelligence that would put that crap into their bodies and risk a hideous end to life.

• Quasimodo says:

Back at the time him and Sosa were in their record race I remember thinking somethings fishy. I didn’t know players juiced. My thoughts of foul play were further up the ladder even thinking ‘they’re juicing the balls’, but I soon found out that steroid use stretched wider than body-builders. Well the can of worms got opened and we now use the term PED’s. McGwire wasn’t a fall-guy but the higher-ups escaped the finger pointing. Will McGwire make it into the HOF? Its my guess he will, but not as a player. Mattingly’s job could be threatened more by Dodgers winning the championship. If every player has improved ABs (which is likely) the stock on McGwire jumps greatly and he’ll be swamped with job offers to manage teams. If that turns out to be the case, I don’t think Dodgers will let him slip away. I’ve said befor I’m much more a fan of Big Mack the coach than the player. My words may be worth laughing at, but I’ve heard funnier things from voices on MLBN. Mitch Williams said all Timmy The Freak needed was a haircut, I’ve heard others say Dodgers will come in 3rd in division. When ‘Insiders’ make those kind of statements I feel silly-free.

I watched Zach Lee pitch the last 2 innings today vs. Team Mexico, giving up 1 unearned run.

Now, I’m no scout, but Ill be honest and say I was not really that impressed with him. Seemed he threw more off speed stuff. I’d love to know what the gun read on his fastball, but I didn’t see anything electric whatsoever.

Anyone else watch?

I like the fact that one of Gordon’s hits today was a drag bunt. Bunting has been a weak area for him, and something he definitely needs to work on (along with plate discipline). With his speed, the bunts don’t have to be perfect, just OK.

You got that right. Just the threat changes defenses. 2 hits and 2 more runs today. Is he playing any second base? Anybody see him taking fly balls in the outfield?

Crawford says he feels much better.

My confidence level remains high. I think we’re the team to beat in the N.L..

Forget the minors – Dee has been consistently bad. MLB, Winter Ball, etc.

• Quasimodo says:

Mark, you’re trying to stir it up again-”forget the minors” lol OK I’ll bite,- Inside of 5 years Dee Gordon will play in an Allstar game! I”ll put my life up against one of your water systems of my choice!

Lee is not in my Top 10 Dodger Prospects. Some have him #1. They are delusional!!!!

Badger,

Quit trying to convince yourself!

;)

All in all the spring is going well. A few injuries, illnesses, but players are progressing ok and getting in their work. On March 20th I will begin judging the players. :)

The WBC should give the AA and AAA players alot of action against top line players and hopefully severe as real “player development” time for them. Looking forward to a better year for all of the LAD minor league teams and 5 more wins for the LAD, than last year.

20. Quasimodo says:

Todays game vs team mexico was fun. It had a real baseball feel. Is the cup 10% empty or 90% full? nobody’s better-period!

Though I am not as sure as I have been about past disagreements with you Mark (and I have a VERY good track record with that) I think judging Gordon on 300 at bats is patently unfair. He WILL adjust. If we could have moved him into the lineup last year at the bottom of the order and allowed him to learn how to get on base without the intense pressure of throwing him into the lead-off spot I think things would be looking better for him. Then a thumb injury. Don’t know if you have ever had one of those, but I have. It’s like a groin injury. They go on and on and on. You can’t even wipe your ass without pain. I remember talking about this last year and my position on it then (shared by a few as I remember) was that the Dodgers weren’t going anywhere anyhow, so allowing the kid to learn the lead-off position with extreme patience was the order of the year. I knew he would likely struggle with it, but I also knew from reading about him that he was a good listener and a very hard worker. And when you have those qualities as a Major Leaguer (rare I would think) and his natural God given talent, it’s a good bet it will work out. I still believe that. And I would NEVER throw a player out after 300 Major League at bats. Using plate appearances as the qualifier, he is still in the middle of his rookie year. Patience glasshopper. Let’s give this kid a REAL chance. Speed like that, at the SS position, is very very rare. This guy is 60 stolen bases (as a former coach, I love that kind of speed and the pressure it puts on the pitcher, catcher, infielders…. the whole defense) and has the ability to score 100 runs easy. Look at his stats right now and project 3 years down the road.

And for the record, Gordon hit .269 with a .350 OBP in the Winter League this year. He also stole 9 bases and scored 16 runs in 29 games. You sayin’ that ain’t productive? I disagree. That translates to 50 stolen bases and 90 runs scored over 162 games. The facts just don’t add up to support your premise.

The Badger remains resolute. We be good.

22. Pete M. says:

Although he created havoc yesterday and I was pleased with what I saw, I’ll stay in the ‘No Dee Zone’.
    I saw a glimpse of the future yesterday and it’s bright. There will be a few more on the BA 100.
    Really liked what I saw in Jeremy Rathjen and Seagar.
    Anyone know anything Darnell Sweeney???

23. the truth hurts says:

Brooklyn and Badger… We are usually on the same page but this whole Gordon thing we are seriously on different sides here!

I hope you guys are right because I don’t like rooting against anyone on our team. I just don’t think he has hit.

24. Pete M. says:

Badger… Or anyone in the know…Talk to me about Sweeney or Rathjen…

Trying to remain positive about a player who still has a real chance. Just not ready to toss him overboard yet. We’ll see won’t we.

Don’t know much about either player.

Would have been a higher pick if not for the ACL tear.

Sweeney looks like another Gordon:

26. Pete M. says:

sweeney hit a bomb only in Dee’s dreams only. Oh well, it’s fun anyhow.Sadly Z Lee showed me zip – nada…

27. Pete M. says:

Puig fans unite!!! Saw Mike Brito standing alone yesterday and went up to say hello and my usual thanks for Fernando accolades. I then asked him about Y. Puig and you see the sparkle in his eye. I then asked Guerrero or Mondesi?? He said Mondesi but quickly added he reminded him most of Minnie Minoso, except with more power. Atrue 5 tool player before the handle was popular. Nice to hear. Sweet…

28. SpokaneBob says:

Hanleys partisipation in the WBC gives Dee an opertunity to make things interesting. It is up to him to make it difficult for Donnie to send him down.

29. Mike says:

“Cal” Daniels spelled his first name Kal. I have to believe Carl Crawford, when healthy, is a lot better player than Kal Daniels was.

I agree Dee Gordon needs to go back to AAA.

Josh Beckett should win at least 15 games this Season.

1. [...] Let’s Get Real Everybody! As fans, we root for players when the facts really show that maybe we should just consider reality.  The Dodgers will be a very interesting team this year, but today, I have a few players we should just get real about! DEE GORDON: You usually move a player from one position to another, when two [...]… [...]