Forget the Stats – Use Your Eyeballs

So, Yasiel Puig is hitting blah-blah-blah…  It doesn’t matter.  Use your eyes and brains,  people.  What do you see?  I see a player with level of talent that is rare (Bo Jackson rare).  I see a guy that can get it done.  I see a guy that is ready for the majors.  Forget all the stuff you read about:

• “It’s only Spring Training!”
  • “It means nothing now.”
  • “What can he do against the best pitchers?”

Here’s the deal – Think!  What do you see?  I keep hearing he’s raw, but I also see an amazing degree of maturity for a 22 year-old (a lot more than Dee Gordon).   I see an amazing player that you cannot send to AAA.  He can play two days a week in LF,  two days a week in RF and one days a week in CF… plus pinch hit.  He’s ready.  Forgetaboutit!  He has to be on the team!  Why is he doing so well right now?  He is dialed in and he is taking what pitchers give him.  He’s not trying to force the issue with a HR every swing.  I don’t see raw as much as I see patience, maturity and savvy.  I see a superstar in the making.

It’s Time to Figure Out the Lineup

4. Rodriguez
  5. Howell
  6. League

DL – Gurrier, Lilly, Elbert, Ramirez

Traded – Harang

march-madness-10off

92 Responses to “Forget the Stats – Use Your Eyeballs”

1. Quasimodo says:

Angelo Dundee took the slow path with Sugar Ray Leonard after Ray’s winning gold amateur-making him work his way from bottom to top in Rays professional career. And that made an impression on me that’s lasted since as the way to do things. But that is boxing. Baseball is closer to a gang fight and I want Puig on my gang. I know the Giants are hoping he’s sent down, and same goes with the Nats. In this case ‘raw’ is a plus. He’s fearless! That’s not usually such a good thing….usually! In this case its refreshing. Through my eyes, he won last nights game. He stated ‘just try and throw me out, but you better be quick and you better be accurate or you’ll pay’. I’m not big on stats but 547 is hard to blow off! I don’t care if Dodgers put him at SS or 3B even, as long as he gets plate appearances. Well he plays again today, aside from him getting injured, I have a feeling my opinion won’t be faltered at games end.

2. Pete M. says:

The Cuban Missile (now used blog wide)has made what Mike Trout and Harper did that more amazing…We’re on the cusp of seeing a a new group of superstars and I hope we can include Puig in that group… You know, I think Ryu will only get better… He’s a crafty pitcher whoseems to adapt well and now if can talk him into throwing between starts which is a common practice here…I thought local boy (LMU) Songco did himself well yesterday.

Mattingly, Colletti, McGwire, etc., etc., will make the decision as to whether or not Puig breaks camp with the Dodgers. A lot will probably depend on how ready Carl Crawford is. Their eyes can see just what yours and everyone else’s can, and they also know the player. I’ll trust their judgment. And it could also come down to simple numbers, and other factors beyond just numbers.

And this stuff does mean something:

“It’s only Spring Training!”
    “It means nothing now.”
    “What can he do against the best pitchers?”

Spring training is a whole other animal compared to the regular season. Sometimes players tear it up in the minors and can’t buy a hit when they get called up. It’s the same game, just a different level. Well spring training is the same game, but also a different level. So what your eyes see may be deceiving.

All that said, I have no problem with Puig being on the opening day roster if that’s the Dodgers choice. But if he is, he has to play everyday (or most everyday). And I also have no problem with Puig opening in the minors, just a phone call away from a call-up.

4. Rob says:

With crawfords arm being a problem Puig should be playing LF. He has earned the position with his outstanding play.

5. chucky says:

I think someone said in an earlier post that it is a long season and last year the BLUE fell at the end. Send Puig to minors, this gives him a chance to see what that is about and IF he rips it up then in a month or so bring him up. IF Crawford play we will be able to tell if he can still hit and can just hit the cutoff man. IF NOT bring on the CUBAN MISSILE. We want him to blossom and he will if he can play every day. By next season he will be a regular in the outfield. Puig in center, Kemp in right and who?? in left (Crawford, Either, Gwynn-just kidding)

I agree with Brooklyn. Ethier, Kemp and Crawford are everyday players. There won’t be the platoon mentioned above. At least I sure wouldn’t do it. Puig plays everyday somewhere. It’s in L. A. if Crawford isn’t ready. If he starts in the minors and tests it up, he won’t be down long.

7. HroidRage says:

We’ve been Puiged! I like what I have been hearing. Unable to keep up due to a back surgery and complications (tore my spinal fluid sack and caused me to lose a dangerous level of spinal fluid which is a nightmare requiring flat on the back bedrest the since Wednesday). Making it worse I am in Phoenix and only miles away from ST and I am unable to attend a single game, that’s just wrong.

I saw that Headleeeee managed to turn Cruz into a SS. Funny how so many were set against him being our 3B and now he is actually our SS. Life’s a funny thing isn’t it.

I’ll have to read up on Dee Gordon is doing and find out why he isn’t our SS, but I have a funny feeling I already know why without having to read.

Peace, and it is good to be upright again.

8. Pete M. says:

First and foremost, HRage, get off the DL, we need your support for this season.
    Patience is a virtue, but this kid is making it hard to practice!!! Most of you got it right…The Cuban Missile will dictate what is done in the futureand that being said, I wouldn’t want to be Stan, Ned and the team figuring it out… There is a Wally Pipp out there somewhere…

9. SpokaneBob says:

Roid, Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

10. Pete M. says:

Oh yah, ND and Gonzaga killed me… The bookies are squirming…I knew Zags would have a test making it to the 16, but Notre Dame, I didn’t see it coming!!!
    The beauty of March Madness, my favorite time of the year with the Blue cranking it up!!!

11. Evan Bladh says:

Ethier can’t hit lefties. His .296 on base percentage against them tells that story. Puig should be platooning with him in RF. Crawford will need a few days off each week until he’s 100%. That’s another 2 starts a week. Kemp will need the occasional day off. That’s enough playing time for Puig as far as I’m concerned.

It would be sweet to see him bash the Giants in the opening series where he will truly open the eyes of MLB AND become a fan favorite from the get go.

12. Pete M. says:

Evan it seems Donnie B. is not going to platoon Dre… C.C., Kemp and Dre for now….

Roid – man that sounds terrible! Make like a laborador and heal! How long you in PHX?

I see the argument for keeping Puig. I don’t see Ethier sitting against lefties. I am tcounting on AGon and Mc learning him how to hit them. I could be hopin for a little much with that one, but I’m stickin with it.

Heading back to Sedona tomorrow. Wife staying here for a while. Denver blows. It was 6 degrees when we got up this morning. Ice all over the place. I left Wisconsin years ago. I don’t need to go through this again.

Everyone on this thread actually makes sense.

I personally don’t know what we SHOULD or WILL do. I can see the benefit of him playing 5x a week in all outfield spots. Then again, is that good for a young guy to be playing all over the place instead of settling into 1 spot? Maybe it is good; maybe we see he’s better in LF, and Crawford and some money get dumped. Maybe he’s better in right, and Ethier gets dumped. We know Matt Kemp isn’t going anywhere.

Another week to find out. Personally, provided Crawford shows he’s ready to go Apr 1, I send Puig to AA where he hits 3rd and bats 4times a game. If his hot start continues there, he’s clearly ready, and somebody just has to go. Regardless, he’ll be back in May, and probably as a starter. I mean, imagine the beauty of having 3 all star outfielders, and 1 ridic 22 year old that’s about to break out. Go team!!

Ryu looks like a vet at times. He really is a David Wells type. He will be a really nice #4 for us!!

15. KEN says:

I am ok with gambling every once in a while

Starting lineup on Opening Day and for 2-3 weeks!

1. Puig LF
    2. Ellis 2B
    3. Kemp CF
    4. Gonzalez 1B
    5. Ethier RF
    6. Cruz 3B
    7. Ellis C
    8. Gordon SS
    9. Pitcher

Harang is in the 5 man rotation for the rest of the Spring. To stay or showcasing for a trade by Opening Day?

Believe it or not ken, Cuba is doing quite well these days. Nearly everybody is working and their GDP is better than ours. Heck, we have more people living below the poverty line. Interestng stat, dont you think? And you know how popular baseball is down there. More popular among the young than it is here. Yas was probably swinging a bat in his crib.

16. 1000OaksDave says:

Quasi, imagine if Puig really could play 3b…as talented an athlete as he is, maybe, just maybe he could.

Hey guys, I will be at Miller Park next Sunday to see last spring game, Brewers and White Sox. Any suggestions on where to hang out next Saturday night in Milwaukee? If not, I’ll just stay another night in Chicago and drive up for the game on Sunday. Then flying back home in time to go to opening day against the hated ones in L.A.

17. voldomer says:

Two weeks ago I was in the “don’t rush Puig” group, but my mind has changed. He is devastating legitimate major league pitching and brings an amazing spark to the team. He has to open the season in LF, and he slots well as the leadoff hitter–a bigger, stronger (maybe even faster, but that might be pushing it) version of Rickey Henderson. It’s unfortunate for Crawford, but Puig has earned a job and has surpassed Kemp as the “must-see” player on the team.

Can he really play SS and 3B? Who knows if he is telling the truth, but IF Ned and company decide to send him down, I’d strong consider finding out how he looks at third.

18. Kevin says:

Hairston will make the team casty won’t.

19. SpokaneBob says:

Considering everything said and written it seems obvious to me that 1. Gordon will be starting the season in the minors and 2. that the only way Yas stays up is if Crawford is not 100%.I do think they will continue to play him right through the freeway series.

They both need some development, but also provide needed depth. It is not likly that we get through the season without some injuries. Like Brooklyn said it will be up to the Dodgers, but this is the way I see it playing out.

Mark, I believe you have the right 5 guys in the rotation, but they need to seperate the two lefties.

20. RoidRage says:

Thank you all for the well-wishes, I do appreciate it. In phoenix unitl I get clearance to fly. Think some imaging tomorrow to confirm that I am not leaking anymore fluid. Crazy crazy, it sure makes me appreciate life and how quickly things can change. So you all better take care of yourselves, even you young guns, nothing is guaranteed.

Man I have to catch up on some reading and see what you you guys are talking about, Puig, Ethier, Gordon, Cruz, Crawford, I have been totally out of touch (in so many ways the last number of days).

Take care all! Off for my next slow 15 minute test walk.

I agree about separating the lefties, although they are not in anyway alike.

I think any talk about Puig in the infield (serious or not) should be put aside. He’s got enough to deal with if he breaks into the big league lineup. He need not have anything else to clutter his mind at this time. Actually, putting a guy at a new position without sufficient preparation is probably a good way to get him hurt. Probably not even a good idea to have him do it in the minors. If it’s an option, the off-season is the best time (instructional league and winter ball).

It may take a little time, but this stuff will likely work itself out. Maybe the Dodgers have enough money to carry an expensive 4th outfielder until a trade of Ethier or Crawford can be worked out. Or maybe Puig struggles, and Ethier and Crawford end up in the Dodgers outfield all year. We have ownership that is financially flexible, so the possibilities are probably endless. Let’s just sit back and watch it play out. I have a feeling that between now and midseason, the conversation will change.

22. RoidRage says:

Just read that my boy, Cruz is stinking it up just as bad as he did last season, lol. Sorry couldn’t resist, but the Dodgers must have known what they had and they had every reason to want to stick with him. Bravo Dodgers for sticking to your analysis and letting the kid show his stuff. Solid solid solid, show the love!

Okay, my energy is done for the day!

23. jerry says:

i use to here it s a long season..so every other day would not hurt any one..it would probably help..every day is to much for all the players. so yes i agree with mark…puig should be on the team..he not use to playing every day any way ..so it cant hurt..and when you play the american league..he can be the dh..

24. Quasimodo says:

Best-O-Shots, Rage. I really hope all goes well. If ST serves anything more than getting pitchers ready, then Puig has surely ‘cut the mustard’. Otherwise it can only be deemed as a waste of good drilling time. He faced a Cy Young pitcher who said he was pitching hard, so much so that he got tired. Do the Dodgers really know him better? I wonder.

25. KEN says:

Badger

Forget your stats – Use your eyeballs :)

Real Stats
    US Economy ranked #1 – Cuba 90th?
    US GDP 16 trillion – Cuba 60 billion?
    US GDP per capita $50,000 – Cuba $10,000? (Mainly received by the government)
    Of course a smaller country can have less people below the “poverty line”, depending upon how a country defines its’ poverty line.

But you are comparing Cuba to OBAMA’s economy that has significantly increased the number of people below the poverty line in the US in the last 4 years. Oh yea 4+ years later blame it all on Bush. The Sociopath, the person who excepts no blame for anything and takes no responsibility for anything, will thank you.

Sounds like you are taking your stats straight from your political party again.

Go ahead and move to Cuba and enjoy living on $20-$25 per month and the type of free medical that really helped Chavez.

PS Your political views do not belong in here, but when you spin lies I will always respond.

• Bobby says:

Ken, keep it to Dodger talk and take ur nonsense politics to foxnews.com

Get over yourself.

• KEN says:

I responded to moronic facts and I will always respond to the lying spinners especially those who are morons and spew lies.

Only a moron would think that my facts are wrong

You’re brainwashed ken. Just do some simple research. Start with Wikipedia and go from there.

If course people would rather live here. Lighten up man. Losing so many electiios has you all wound up.

• KEN says:

Maybe you should read Wiki yourself and do research from there. My facts are not incorrect and in fact I perform economic reserach on a weekly basis in my job.
        You lighten up boy, I was giving Puig a complement, plus the LAD have invested in a full-time person to mentor him, but it is true that many people who go through adversity come out stronger, but many come out weaker.

Just STOP LYING like our genius president who learned how to lie while sitting in a cult church for 20 years.

Until you sit in that church or a similar church, or similar environment you will not have a clue as to the decpetion that you have bought into. It is not the same deception from the right that is easier to detect.

What is wrong with you?

“Maturity, or ability to deal with emotions, comes early for many in a communist or very poor country.”

And how is that different from the poor in our own country? We do have a few you know. I was just pointing out that even in a country such as Cuba, a higher percentage of people are going to work every day than right here in the United States. Maturity is no different for their people than our own.

Everything is political with you.

I am not going to argue the “U.S. economy” being #1. I will look around at the near complete separation between the haves and the have nots and ask…. What the ef has happened here?”

The history of Cuba is an interesting one. I presented a paper on it in a grad class in college. You may think you know all of it, but unless you dig deep, you do not.

Cuba, like a lot of nations these days, including ours, is going through an economic crises. And if you have opportunity to become a gazillionaire. in another country, most anyone would take it.

You can go ahead and rip me again for being a man of the people. I won’t respond.

Crawford’s tearing it up. Two hits so far today, including an HR. Ethier homered also. Both hitting .333. Kemp is 0 for 2, hitting .184. Puig in the lineup opening day in CF replacing Kemp, who is traded for a bag of balls, or better yet, released.

Spring training stats never lie.

27. Quasimodo says:

Brooklyn, Kemp is still my hero on the team as same with you. But I think we have to credit Mark’s roster, aside from the Uribe choice, but he may also be correct there as much as I doubt it. I am very well aware that ST stats have little value, but there’s more than stats involved with Puig-a thing called energy.

28. Bball says:

Kemp last year had a crappy spring. Struck out way too much and wasn’t impressive. I remember the kemp bashing on this site last year and what did he go on to do. One of the best April’s in history. Leave him alone and complain about him at the end of April when he’s still stinking it up. Until then shush

Bball, I think you must know I wrote that stuff with tongue in cheek.

I like Matt Kemp so much that after his lousy 2010 season I told some people I wouldn’t trade him straight up for Albert Pujols. They laughed a lot, and thought I had lost touch with reality. But no more. The only thing that worries me about Kemp this year is that he might get off to a slow start. I believe Adrian Gonzalez got off to a slow start for the first month in 2011 (at least with respect to his power) following the same off-season surgery. But he picked it up after that, and had a good season. So maybe Kemp doesn’t get off to the start he had last year, and picks it up starting sometime in May.

30. Bobbie17 says:

This team is not good enough to send Puig down. If you want to kiss off another season, do it. This is not the 90′s Yankees. This is a team with flaws and injuries. I would hate to be 10 games out after 30 are played. After today’s game it looks like we will need runs–and a lot of them. Small ball won’t do it. Protecting someone who might not need protection is nonsense. Yes, the coaches know more than we do, but their track record isn’t exactly Lasorda-ish.

31. Quasimodo says:

Bball, Brooklyn was bashing in jest. There is nobody here worried about Kemp.

32. Bball says:

Anyone in here just had enough of b17. I still read his posts just to see how much more stupid he’s gotten. B17 if u r a dodger fan u show it in a weird way. Do us all a favor and shit up

• Bobby says:

Honestly I look forward to B17 posts. They’re so ridic that they’ve become comical to me.

Josh Beckett had a .66 ERA this spring. We all kno he’s due to get shelled. But based on today, and today only, we will need to score a lot of runs!!!!

Crawford is hitting over .300 in his limited time. Now I’ve not seen 1 at bat by him, but maybe he’s regained his swing. After all, dude was a multiple all star in Tampa. I’m sure he didn’t lose it totally!

33. SpokaneBob says:

I get it. Bobby17 means he is 17 years old.

and by the way it is Lasordaisk.

I’m guessing Bobbi17 is not a “he”, since Bobbi (with an “i”) indicates a girl, just like Toni is not Tony. Maybe Bobbi can post and set me straight.

Just read this in Baseball America about Isotopes Park in Albuquerque.

“Isotopes Park, home of the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate, is one of the most extreme hitter’s parks in the minor leagues. In an effort to curb offense, the park will install a humidor this season. First used by the Rockies at Coors Field in 2002, they introduced it at their Triple-A Colorado Springs affiliate last year and saw dramatic results. Runs per game dropped from 15.78 in 2011 to 11.61 in 2012.

Albuquerque general manager John Traub explains why Isotopes Park is so offensive, and how the humidor could help.

‘There are some multiple factors which contribute to Isotopes Park being a hitter’s park. First, we are in the high desert. At a mile high, the elevation and thin air contribute to balls going farther than they would in other parks. The low humidity makes the leather on the balls actually shrink and become harder and lighter, thus resulting in more distance off the bat. It is also quite windy here, particularly in the springtime. Prevailing west winds in the spring and south winds in the summer certainly play into balls flying out of here as well.

‘The humidor will keep the balls at their intended weight and size and will hopefully even up the playing field relative to other ballparks. We can’t do anything about the elevation or wind patterns, but hopefully the humidor will mean a reduction in cheap home runs.’”

Who knows, maybe the Dodgers will be able to send their best pitching prospects to ALBQ., although I’m not sure how the humidor might help a pitcher throw a breaking ball in thin dry air.

Makes them work harder on their change ups and hitting their spots.

Crawford is still the starting left fielder. Puig goes where he can face the best pitching. Is that the PCL? Not usually.

35. Pete M. says:

Badger, I’d say AA all the way for the Missile…Day in,day out, I think he’ll see damn good pitching and then the fun begins. Get to know the strike zone, patience, patience, patience. I’ve seen alot of pitchers trying to sneak fastballs fast balls past him and not succeding. He will see alot of off speed pitches and of course ‘Charley’… Gonna be fun… Gentlemen start your humidors…
    Beckett will be fine….

I’ve read that if Puig is sent down, it will be Chattanooga. Makes sense to me. Lots of players have made the jump directly from AA to the big leagues. Ethier had very few at bats in AAA before coming up in 2006. Kemp also had very few AAA at bats (if any) before being called up the first time in 2006. Of course, after a hot start he had to be sent down to AAA before returning.

Some players have made the jump from A-ball to the big leagues, and some have made the jump directly from college.

37. Quasimodo says:

I don’t know how it happened but I got more than 8 hrs sleep. Still can’t wake up even after a pot of coffee, sleep-drunk. Wow! 1 WEEK TILL OPENING DAY! Makes you wonder how our conversations are about to quickly change from all of us pretending we’re FO staff to fans talking about how its going on the field. This offseason has been a lot of fun and the season has a lot of promise for the fun to continue. I want to say thank you to all of you for sharing your opinions, but mostly to Mark. Mark, I hope you continue here, ladodgertalk is the best place place to talk Dodgers baseball. Its the 1st site I open every morning and the one I used to fallow further reading. Its also Giant troll-free.

• Bobby says:

100% agree. well, i wouldn’t mind smart Giant fans who talked good crap, instead of stupid crap.

Then again, maybe B17 is a Giant fan?

38. Giant Troll says:

You rang?

39. Anonymous says:

3/25 game tonight is on MLB Network, channel 213 on Direstv.

Come to think of it, we used to have a Giant troll or two. Wonder where they went.

41. Quasimodo says:

Giant Troll, is that you Mark? lol

42. the truth hurts says:

lol, “Giant Troll” was just me Quas, wanted to get your attention…I am like you, LADODGERTALK is my first website everyday. Mark has something special with this site.

Next week at this time, League should be closing it out for us.

Thank goodness we have the madness to get us through the weekend.

Living in Florida, this whole Florida Gulf Coast vs Florida matchup is getting pretty heated. Should be fun.

Kershaw away jersey is sitting in my closet, ready for primetime Monday. Love it.

43. Quasimodo says:

lol, That was a good one, Truth! I did detect it, and rightly so, as fishy. Thanks for pulling the covers. Its game time!

44. Bball says:

I finally get to watch a game and I have to listen to the second worst announcer ever Rex hudler. I hate that guy. Only announcer worse is that idiot from the Windy City. Hawk harrelson

45. Quasimodo says:

I got to agree, Bball. Not at all showing the kind of respect all of our announcers show teams. Gabbing away without even announcing which Dodgers come to plate.

46. Bball says:

Rod Barajas as backup or pop of the bench?

47. Jae says:

Rex Hudler is God…

NOT!

48. Josh says:

How much would a signed ’88 Dodgers Brad Havens base ball card be worth :)

49. Rob says:

The Royals broadcast crew is horrible. They are yapping about having a shot at the championship, how embarrassing. They have pretty much made every player on their roster seem invincible.

This from Mike Petriello at MSTI.

“But even if (and when) Puig doesn’t make the roster on April 1, Ken Rosenthal makes a great point — teams still need to be scared about what his looming presence means:

No, rival executives are concerned that Puig’s ascent eventually will help the Dodgers secure other top prospects.

How?

By pushing the Dodgers to trade one of their expensive corner outfielders, Carl Crawford or Andre Ethier – and secure additional young talent by paying most of that player’s contract as part of the deal.

In other words, the Dodgers not only can outbid teams for stars, but also can buy their way out of mistakes and come out ahead. And, at a time when teams face new restrictions on spending for both domestic and international amateurs, the Dodgers’ financial might could give them a huge advantage in amassing top prospects.”

51. Jae says:

Petriello generally is very insightful, but that is like saying “the sun will come up tomorrow.” Well duhhhhhh…

The flip-side is Who the hell would take Crawford or Ethiers salaries. Maybe if the Dodgers paid their salaries they could get a couple of mid-level prospects.

It is not that big of a deal, because not many teams want those big contracts, and if they took them on, the Dodgers might have to throw in some other players.

52. Pete M. says:

Zack pitched as expected…Key is health today…I dont know the rush vs. 15 on the DL!?!? Starting Fife is good for me…
    The Bison will be fine…
    I think the return for Dre would be great especially if in Aug. The problem is that Puig could be banned from MiLB by then !?!
    JP Howell was filthy yesterday…Again we could be on our way to an incredible bullpen…

53. KEN says:

Nice to see that Crawford’s BA is finnally higher than Uribe’s. however both have BAs twice as high a Kemp.

Obviously, there are people who post in here that, based upon their continual illogic, probably think that this means that Uribe is better than Kemp.

54. Quasimodo says:

On a different note, perhaps I’m alone here, but ‘Rap Music’ is going to be a hard sell to me as belonging in the movie ’42′. Hopefully it plays a small role in it-better yet its only part of the advertising. Perhaps the story and acting will make it easy to get around. Though I don’t hate Rap, I don’t like it. And that has nothing to do with not having an open mind. Its just sells as valid as Brach Rickey brake dancing.

Back home. Maybe I can catch up on all things Dodgers.

Has Crawford made the starting lineup yet?

56. Quasimodo says:

Wow Badger, you really have been removed. Yes my friend, he has. And he’s been progressing in high gear.

57. Gonzo says:

From articles that i have read, it appers that the consensus is that if the Dodgers want to trade Ethier and include money that would make the new team pay him under 10 mil while LA springs for the rest a very good prospect or prospects would be given to LA.

What the hell, I say do it. Ethier and 55 million to SEA for one of the pitchers they offered for Upton and another decent prospect. Puig has convinced me and I think he deserves to play. I remember some years ago some kid from AA in the Cardinals organization was invited to big league camp to give him a taste and he made the team. What was his name? I think his last name rhymes with mujols.

58. Quasimodo says:

KEN, who here likes Uribe? Just asking as I’m trying to figure who you fits “continual illogic”.

Pujols actually jumped from A-ball (except for 14 ABs in AAA) to the Cardinals. He was also considered their top prospect and one of the best prospects in the game at the time. Doesn’t mean Puig can’t do it, but only time will tell. History doesn’t always repeat itself.

Good chance that money plays a big role on whether or not Puig opens in LA, and if he does, whether or not he remains there.

I seriously doubt, no matter how much money they have, if the Dodgers will want to speed of Puig’s big league service time clock; certainly not for 11 days.

• Quasimodo says:

No, Puig will not be on opening day roster as being in the minors has potential of saving $millions. But I’ll still retain my hopes that by May he’ll make it. I am most in favor of the idea as 4th OF with everyday play and hope Kemp, crawdord and ethier have no problem with that.

Nobody likes Uribe, but he might be on the roster for a while. This is a contract year for him, and it’s often amazing what that kind of motivation does for a player.

Still running around here without time to catch up. I am counting on you guys.

Yeah, MSTI’s comments about Ethier have already been discussed by every Dodger board on the planet. As much as I like Andre, and I do, as you know, I had him traded for prospects and us signing Bourn. I still think that move was what we should have oughtta done, but, now we have Puig in the mix. Same scenario – trade Ethier for prospects and plug Puig in instead of Bourn.

Can’t believe I dint make it down there this year. Too much on the plate. I am too old for too much to do. I am couch certified, I need my recliner time.

61. 86McCourt says:

#Dodgers have optioned Yasiel Puig to @ChattLookouts (Double A) and Dee Gordon to @AbqTopes (Triple A).
    The time has come…..we all knew it was going to happen yet it still hurts. Its the right move……heres to hoping he develops and creates a new meaning of Beast Mode.

Agree. Predictable and in fact predicted.

Both will be back.

• Bobby says:

I can’t disagree with this really.

If Crawford and Ethier start off hot, their trade value goes up. If one of them starts off slowly, we have a replacement ready.

62. jerry says:

to pay someone in the minor,s 42 millon..is stupid ..mybe he will get hurt ..and never help the team

63. Quasimodo says:

Actually its saves $millions for Puig to start the season in the minors.

64. KEN says:

Elbert to the 60 Day DL? Maybe Hanley should go there also.

Greinke to be the best #4 starter in MLB. :)

Looks like Ned is going with the old guys again. Is Kemp the youngest starting position player on the LAD?

Bills to go on the 15 Day DL until May 7th? These injuries are allowing the excess starting pitchers to make the team and not need to be traded for another 2 weeks.

Will Guerrier be cut or traded?

Last ST home game tonight. The annual ST freeway series always makes the MLB regular season seem like it is close enough to touch.

Not only do the Dodgers save millions by starting Puig in the minors, but it’s just as conceivable that he could get hurt in LA as he could get hurt in Chattanooga. Those things are impossible to predict.

Yeah, it makes baseball bidness sense as was explained somewhere today.

He is still a prospect with zero at bats in the Majors. We are all hoping he is the second coming of Jose McSosujols, and he may be, but he needs to be tested by sending him down and forcing him to earn his way back.

66. Bball says:

What would be the asking price for Cano. I’m seeing a lineup after the trade deadline of
    1. Crawford
    2. Puig
    3. Kemp
    4. Cano
    5. Gonzalez
    6. Ramirez
    7. Cruz
    8. Ellis

As you can see there’s no Ethier or M. Ellis. Throw in Gordon. Would that be enough or far from it cause the lineup above has me drooling

67. Quasimodo says:

I’m happy with Ethier and M. Ellis….on Dodgers.

Hate to sound negative, but I see Mark Ellis in about 120 games, with a .256 BA and a .318 OBP….. out of the two hole. Not good enough by my standards. He is a valuable player, will have a positive WAR, but a guy like him belongs down in the order – or on the bench. Crawford belongs in the two hole. He is a natural for that spot. Our lineup will be good, but it could be improved.

Ethier will do what he always does, except I believe he will hit lefties a little better this year. I see him with a 3.5 WAR. I got him at .288, 22 HR, 86 ribbies with an .800 OPS. If he were to go to a more hitter friendly park, say in Boston, New York or Texas, he could hit .300 with an OPS approaching .900.

69. Pete M. says:

Who do you have leading off??? Any chance A.J. anywhere near the top??? I really wonder how Puig is taking the demotion??? We’ll know soon enough by his demeanor in AA… His mentor and interp will be key in his acceptance.
    I’m thinking Cano goes no where… He is the natural succesor to Jeter and the NY brass knows it… NYY fans will accept nothing less… I feel like the Yankees, one morning I wake up aching and whine “damn, I’m getting old”!!!

“Who do you have leading off???”

Nobody. I go right to Crawford in the two hole.

Actually that is a very good question. The guy that intrigues me the most for that spot is the guy who belongs right where he is – Matt Kemp. Leading off an inning for his career he is hitting .311 with a .359 OBP. Last year leading off an inning he hit .372 with a .385 OBP. We have used him in the lead-off position before and he did fine, but he is a much better hitter now than then. He belongs in the middle of the lineup. The fact of the matter is, we don’t have the prototypical lead-off hitter and we’ll just have to see how Crawford does with it. If he isn’t successful, people will likely say “well look at what a bust he is”. Since he put up his best numbers hitting second, I would think to ask him to do something other than that is unfair, and risky. He hits lead-off because we have nobody else to do it? With our seemingly unlimited budget – GET somebody else! As you know, Bourn was my choice.

I hope Puig is mature about his demotion. As was pointed out, you know young guys from Cuba are much more mature than guys from … say…. Philadelphia.

I agree the Yankees will find a way to keep Cano. He is 30 now, which means whatever contract he get will likely be a bad one after 3 years. Players rarely keep it going past the prime years (27-33) anymore. Damn that MLB drug policy.

71. RoidRage says:

I’m alive! ended up having to have a “bloodpatch” procedure on Monday. I had been leaking spinal fluid for 6 days and that was causing all sorts of issues. Today I finally am feeling better but need to rest for a few more days before flying home. thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone. Now I can get strong and start irritating you all again.

I did catch a little of the Dodgers Royals game the other night, whoever commented about the royals broadcast crew was being to kind, they are beyong hokey, homely and pathetic to listen to. See I’m feeling better already, lol.

Hey, roid, what hospital you in? I might be heading down that way (have to exchange some metals). Who knows, if you’re in the neighborhood, I could stop in and slap you around a little. In your condition, you couldn’t fight back. Might be a hoot.

• voldomer says:

That sounds serious. I’m glad you are feeling better, but perhaps it would be good for your health to become RoidSimmer or even RoidPlacid. ;-)

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]