Posted on 03 March 2013.
- Luis Cruz has been hot with the bat while displaying a stone glove at 3B. I really hope Cruz can hit like he did last year (which isn’t great for a 3B, but so much better than Uribe, that it seems good). Let’s realize that at age 29, he has a total of 437 AB’s in the majors and that even though he hit .297 in 283 AB”s last season, he only took 9 walks and struck out 34 times. In his 12 seasons in the minor leagues he has accumulated 4,891 plate appearances and has taken just 214 walks. He is a swinging-machine and I guarantee major league pitchers will quit throwing him strikes. While I would love a 3B who could hit 20 HR and 85 RBI’s (which is what he would have put up if you double his AB’s), I see no way that those numbers are sustainable. Don’t call me a Cruz hater – I’m not that guy, and I will root for him. Maybe Big Mac can get him to change his approach, but after 12 minor league seasons, is that really likely? It would be great if he can play that good and I really hope I have to eat crow on this one. I just can’t build hope on his past record.
- Capuano, Billingsley and Harang all look like they don’t want to be in the rotation. Could Ted Lilly slip into that slot? Unless someone is hurt, two of these guys won’t open the season with the Dodgers: Capuano, Harang, Billingsley. Chad probably makes too much and his arm is a question mark, but could he be headed back to Ohio (where he is from)? Drew Stubbs anyone?
- The odds are long, but I can’t help but root for Alfredo Amezaga.
- What is the over/under number of Uribe’s days on the roster? I say 10.
- I have been telling people that if Duke got Ryan Kelly back, they were NCAA champs. Did you see his performance on his return? That was one for the ages. WOW!
- If you don’t root for Ben McLemore, you should. He is proof positive that your past and circumstances don’t define you.
- If Carl Crawford opens the season on the DL and Puig keeps up his hot hitting, could he be the opening day LF? It’s possible…