I read an online article at SI.com by Michael Beller on the Dodgers today. Among other things, he projected this as the Dodgers Roster:
1. Carl Crawford, LF
2. Hanley Ramirez, SS
3. Matt Kemp, CF
4. Adrian Gonzalez, 1B
5. Andre Ethier, RF
6. A.J. Ellis, C
7. Luis Cruz, 3B
8. Mark Ellis, 2B
1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Zack Greinke
3. Josh Beckett
4. Hyun-Jin Ryu
5. Chad Billingsley
Uh, OK. That works, I guess.
Then he went on to list the bullpen and Scott Elbert was part of that. Uh, Micheal – Scott Elbert is likely out for quite some time, maybe the year. Oh well. anyone can make a mistake. No biggie!
Finally, he goes no to list “NL-only guys to know”:
A.J. Ellis: Last year, Ellis racked up a .373 OBP in his first full season in the majors. In 31 games with the Dodgers in 2011, he had a .392 OBP. In 2010, he had a .363 OBP in 44 games. And in a full season at Triple-A Las Vegas in 2009, he had a .438 OBP. This from a catcher who will also give you somewhere between 12 and 15 homers. He’s one of my favorite under-the-radar targets in NL-only leagues.
Kenley Jansen: He may not be the closer this year, but Jansen was dominant last season, striking out 99 guys in 65 innings to go along with his 0.85 WHIP. If and when Brandon League falters, manager Don Mattingly will likely turn back to Jansen.
Jerry Sands: Sands hit .296/.375/.524 with 26 homers at Triple-A Las Vegas last year. The Dodgers are set across their outfield to start the season, but he might force the organization to give him a long look this year. Ethier’s contract makes him hard to trade, but the Dodgers could try to make it happen if Sands proves he’s ready for a major league job.
Rants and Raves:
- Juan Uribe is getting reps all over the infield. Really? Really? Let’s see: Schumaker, Punto, Hairston. I think Uribe has to win the 3B job to make the team.
- Lots of people think Dee Gordon is headed to AAA. Is he?
- Chad Billingsley could be the best #5 in baseball. COULD…
- It’s comforting to see Sandy Koufax and Mark McGwire coaching the Dodgers this spring.
- Remember when Trayvon Robinson was traded and all the moaning and groaning that accompanied that? So, he has been cut by Seattle – you can get him back. Call Ned and tell him – I dare ya’
- Have you noticed that there are about 20 Dodger blogs all writing the same stuff? Not here. Not today.