Sports Illustrated Didn’t Get the Memo

I read an online article at SI.com by Michael Beller on the Dodgers today.  Among other things, he projected this as the Dodgers Roster:

Lineup:

Rotation:

1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Zack Greinke
3. Josh Beckett
4. Hyun-Jin Ryu
5. Chad Billingsley

Uh, OK.  That works, I guess.

Then he went on to list the bullpen and Scott Elbert was part of that.  Uh, Micheal – Scott Elbert is likely out for quite some time, maybe the year.  Oh well. anyone can make a mistake.  No biggie!

Finally, he goes no to list “NL-only guys to know”:

A.J. Ellis: Last year, Ellis racked up a .373 OBP in his first full season in the majors. In 31 games with the Dodgers in 2011, he had a .392 OBP. In 2010, he had a .363 OBP in 44 games. And in a full season at Triple-A Las Vegas in 2009, he had a .438 OBP. This from a catcher who will also give you somewhere between 12 and 15 homers. He’s one of my favorite under-the-radar targets in NL-only leagues.

Kenley Jansen: He may not be the closer this year, but Jansen was dominant last season, striking out 99 guys in 65 innings to go along with his 0.85 WHIP. If and when Brandon League falters, manager Don Mattingly will likely turn back to Jansen.

Jerry Sands: Sands hit .296/.375/.524 with 26 homers at Triple-A Las Vegas last year. The Dodgers are set across their outfield to start the season, but he might force the organization to give him a long look this year. Ethier’s contract makes him hard to trade, but the Dodgers could try to make it happen if Sands proves he’s ready for a major league job.

Jerry Sands?  When he ends the article with that, you have to question if he really knows anything.  Jerry Sands?  Really!  Hey moron, he plays for Boston last I checked.   Geeeezzz!!!

Rants and Raves:

• Juan Uribe is getting reps all over the infield.  Really?  Really?  Let’s see: Schumaker, Punto, Hairston.  I think Uribe has to win the 3B job to make the team.
  • Lots of people think Dee Gordon is headed to AAA.  Is he?
  • Chad Billingsley could be the best #5 in baseball.  COULD…
  • It’s comforting to see Sandy Koufax and Mark McGwire coaching the Dodgers this spring.
  • Remember when Trayvon Robinson was traded and all the moaning and groaning that accompanied that?  So, he has been cut by Seattle – you can get him back.  Call Ned and tell him – I dare ya’
  • Have you noticed that there are about 20 Dodger blogs all writing the same stuff?   Not here.  Not today.

presidents-day-week-sale

40 Responses to “Sports Illustrated Didn’t Get the Memo”

1. Bball says:

Didn’t Sands get traded to the pirates for hanrahan.

2. Evan Bladh says:

Mark, Last I checked the BoSox dealt Sands and Ivan DeJesus Jr. to Pittsburgh in the Hanrahan deal. So he’s not with Boston either.

• Mark_Timmons says:

I know, Evan. I’m just having fun….

I thought it might go on longer, but Bball and you were on it.

;)

I guess I need to add you to my Mandatory Daily Reading, huh?

What does Bball get?

Maybe Jerry Sands got traded back to the Dodgers in a stealth deal.

I wasn’t one of those upset when Trayvon Robinson was traded. Always thought he was suspect.

And Juan Uribe has about as much of a chance of winning the Dodgers 3rd base job as you do Mark. Wait, let me think about that. No, I’m betting on you. Dodgers are probably saying nice things about Uribe to encourage other teams to consider a deal in which they take on a piece (probably as very small piece) of the $8 million still due to him. Unless they think they can move him early in the season, or unless injuries force the issue, I’m doubtful that Uribe is around after the final cuts of the spring.

4. Joseph Olivas says:

Hey Mark I like how u added the new sites….nice work! good sites!

5. voldomer says:

Actually, Robinson’s journey has been even more complicated. He was released by the Orioles, not the Mariners. The M’s traded him to the O’s in the fall, then the O’s released him recently to add someone else to the roster. He went unclaimed on waivers, so he is back in camp with Baltimore.

The lineup. Anyone care to comment on that?

Looks to me that this guy from ESPN was given an assignment and an unrealistic deadline.

7. HemmorhoidRage says:

Just curious, how many in here feel bad about the Dodgers having money to spend and trying to build a championship team? My guess is, most prefer to finally have an ownership team committed to winning and spending what it takes to get a winner on the field immediately.

Please vote:

Yay – I’m glad to see this change in ownership and their attitude about putting a winner on the field immediately.

Nay – I’m unhappy that our ownership is spending cash to put a winner on the field.

The line-up: I think Ellis will end up being #8 and as season progresses, Hanley won’t last as #2 and Mark Ellis ends up #2 by default, he makes contact and doesn’t K a lot, which is important in the #2 slot. Now I’m not saying Ellis is my first choice there (for those revisionist posters, i.e. Vag) but I am saying it may be the only alternative for Donnie Boy to get some production. What I would prefer is to see Hanley deserve the SS spot and bat 5 or 6, Dee Gordon win the 2B spot and bat lead-off, Cruz to continue to play how he ended last season and bat in the #7 slot.

Yes, the article looks a bit rushed. I agree with Badger. Write something about a subject that you know nothing about and we need it in an hour. GO

9. SpokaneBob says:

Yay, Yay and Yay!

A big reason that this ownership have spent like they have is to kick start the attendance at Dodger Statium. Was anyone else here surprised or disgusted at seeing the statium 1/3 full game after game.

We are finaly getting back to being the Dodgers again, and I appreciate all that this ownership is doing.

50,000 in attendance and a couple million+ looking to add Dodger Television Network to their subscription. I know I would do if they offered it in Arizona.

That lineup. I’ll take the players but not necessarily how they are arranged. I prefer a left right alternation as much as feasible.

Make no mistake about it. This is a better team than we have seen around here in some time. And, if for some reason it isn’t working, we have the ability to do something about it at the deadline. How about a Puig and Lee package for David Wright? Just an example of what could be done.

This is going to be fun.

I think you are all being to hard on this poor writer. You can’t let your stupid facts get in the way of the story. Geez guys….

With all that said I think James Loney is going to provide great depth to to the bench this year and a solid late inning glove.

hahahahaha

How about saving Puig and Lee for another deal that gets us Giancarlo Stanton. And yes, I understand it would take considerably more than just those two. Puig might go over well in Miami’s Cuban community. Maybe the deal could also include Onelki Garcia, another top Cuban prospect.

If Hanley eventually moves over to 3B (where he really belongs), then Wright isn’t necessary. Ramirez at 3B, Gordon at short, and Cruz at 2B (if he continues to hit). Or you can flip flop the positions Gordon and Cruz play.

Spoke Bob, I agree with you on how the new ownership directed things to get this team going.

No big numbers in attendance were going to come out to watch 8 or 9 Jerry Sands type of players learning to play in the majors in Dodger Stadium.

14. the truth hurts says:

Brooklyn nailed it.

Giancarlo Stanton package.

I guarantee we are already working on it. So is everyone else in the league. This guy is the biggest prize out there. I can’t get over watching this guy absolutely tear us apart last season and thinking to myself, this guy is going to be a superstar and would look great in blue.

15. Rob says:

I feel like we are the only team in the league without a true lead off hitter.

This is just wishful thinking, but why not? If the Dodgers were able to acquire Stanton, clearly Andre Ethier would be expendable. So why not a deal that includes Dodger prospects, and perhaps other prospects acquired in a deal for Ethier. In other words, a 3-team deal.

Just the thought of Hanley, Kemp, Stanton and Gonzalez (in whatever order you like) hitting back to back to back to back, is enough to cause me to begin salivating.

17. Pete M. says:

Giancarlo Stanton isn’t going anywhere…What little credability that team has left, would be shot to hell…
    There we go again!!! Lets trade them away before we ever get a peek at them… I want to see Puig and Garcia for sure…Do the Marlins???
    We decimate what little we have in the minor lg. system and have been trying to build up… No sense to me…Of course we could start a new and renewed bitch-fest about the state of our system…rr
    Cano, Wright, Stanton…California dreaming…A sweet dream it is, nonetheless a dream..

Geez guys – I wasn’t suggesting THAT particular trade, just the idea that we could likely get an experienced veteran (Pete is right about Stanton) at the deadline. Since our outfield is set, and third base isn’t, Wright’s name came to me cuz the Mets are going nowhere. Maybe we won’t need a move at the deadline. Just sayin we could be playa’s if need be.

Might well be that Stanton isn’t going anywhere. Then again, you never know until you try. And if he is available, I’d move mountains to get him. If not, then we continue on. But let’s get this clear, Stanton is an established big league star who at the age of 22 last year hit 37 HRs.

I’d like to get more than a peek at Puig and Garcia. But for a YOUNG superstar like Stanton I’d be willing to make the sacrifice and include them in a deal to get him. Puig and Garcia are POTENTIAL stars, Stanton already IS a star, and a young one at that.

But this conversation is probably moot, because as was stated, he probably isn’t going anywhere. And I recognized that in my earlier post, where I said “This is just wishful thinking….”

“But for a YOUNG superstar like Stanton I’d be willing to make the sacrifice and include them in a deal to get him.”

So would every team in MLB Brooklyn.

The Dodgers made a statement about Ehtier when they didn’t try to move him to get what they DO need, a lead-off hitter. And all they had to do to get that done was sign Bourn. Trading Ethier would be easy – and with what we could get for him, and Puig and Lee, we could get a shot at Stanton. Will that happen? Well, anything COULD happen, but my guess is, Stanton stays where he is for a couple more years, we go with the outfield we have and look for upgrades at those positions of need, which, at this point in time, ain’t the outfield. We have 3 All Stars out there right now.

We have needed a third baseman for what seems like decades now. An upgrade at second base could be looked at as well.

I guess we won’t know what we need until we get to July. But it’s nice to know we have an ownership now that won’t hesitate to go get it.

• Roger Dodger says:

Badger, as you know, Ron Cey shows up at every Spring Training each year doing interviews, signing, and talking with players, etc.

Just give him a glove. Bet he can still swing the bat.

20. HemmorhoidRage says:

Brilliant observation, Vag, and what everyone has been saying in here for some time, how about something new? The Dodgers didn’t make a statement, they stuck with a plan they had for the outfield. In fact, their plan also included to load up on pitching (which they accomplished) and then use it as their bargaining chip as the season progresses, It’s pretty obvious, not brain surgery.

OCP – on your All-Time Dodger team. Why not make a roster of 25 players. A playing roster, giving say:

12 pitchers of starters, and, several relievers. They are all skills that need to be included.

2 catchers.

7 other starters, of course, 4 in the infield, 3 in the outfield

then 4 other backup or role players — but these would be starter types, say two infielders and two outfielders.

Also, a manager and three coaches (could have been managers).

A General Manager.

Three Dodger broadcasters.

Two or three Dodger reporters (newspaper reporters) over the years in Brooklyn and L.A.

Baseball America’s top 100 has 2 Dodgers on it. Hyun-Jin Ryu at #42 and Yasiel Puig at #47. No Zach Lee. But that’s better than the Giants who only have 1 player on the list, Kyle Crick at #66.

Lee dropped out of the top 100? ruh roh. That ain’t good news.

Maybe you didn’t read it roid, but there was a lot of board talk about the Dodgers going after the lead-off hitter they needed, Bourn, and trading Ethier was a way to make room for him. Even Ethier commented on it. Yes, the Dodgers stuck with their plan, which is kinda iffy for who leads off, but the “statement” I was alluding to was clear to me. They aren’t ready to move Ethier, even when it could be a good move for them to do so. You don’t agree with that, fine. But no need to be rude.

23. quasimodo says:

Stan is firing Ned! Stan Kasten has found a group he feels is better suited to serve as GM while surfing internet and after reading comments @ladodgertalk, he feels the partners can safely trust the vast ammount of funds for this groups to get the job done. He’s so confident with this new group he’s declaring “we want to win every game this century” Friends, congrats! Oh, the checks are in the mail.

• quasimodo says:

I didn’t really mean to sound so silly….OK I did. I’ve never considered myself a computer gamer, but this morning I’ve discovered its probably the best title for me.Seems all the time between online poker tourneys I’m gathering info from Dodger related sites, while TV has MLBN playing, so I can play GM and team manager….even hitting coach, I’ve fantasized I have the cure for Ethier against lefties. Wow it must be so cal cabin fever. It goes away at the end of march

24. HemmorhoidRage says:

“Brilliant observation, Vag, and what everyone has been saying in here for some time, how about something new?”

I guess you didn’t read it, note the words “what everyone has been saying in here for some time”. Nice try, revisionism sucks and is boring, try a new angle, Vag!

I don’t believe there is such a thing as everyone. In fact as long as you keep posting roid we have a contrarian.

To tighten up the ship – - – need to talk about the backup centerfielder. Say Kemp needs a week or two off, or starts slowly with that shoulder, and needs some relief innings . . .

Only Herrera can play at this point. Oh, Donnie can stick someone out there, but that is not what is needed.

Maybe a reserve player to be added that can play CF other than Herrera.

27. Bball says:

Those same concerns can be said about Crawford. We have Gwynn jr. Herrera and Gwynn. Hopefully not. Ill prey for a healthy team tonight.

28. The Truth Hurts says:

Crawford is a scary thought, please let him be healed.

29. Pete M. says:

What’s not to like about Tony Gwynn??? Chris Gwynn didn’t have the glove Jr. had, but hitting also was his problem… I know Jr. can b/u all 3 OF positions, but I gotta think I can do better… As ST gets rolling today looks like Bison and Crawford will need some inns off at he seasons start… Castellanos (who I prefer in house) Franklin Guitierrez, Damon….Come on gimme some help…
    P.S. Always loved Johnnie Damon back in the day..Bring him here, let him get back to cave man look…A rebirth!?!?

30. HemmorhoidRage says:

I liked what I saw from Herrerra, he was a hitting machine when I saw him play, too. He would be a great backup OF, I don’t like to hear that Kemp is already being talked about for needing time off. Shoulder surgery can be a very touchy recovery, the shoulder joint moves in so many directions and angles, unlike any other joint in the body, it can be very easily tweaked and re-injured.

Vag, you are right I am a contrarian when I deal with obnoxious A-holes that need to be put in their place. Funny how you like to dish it out but whine like a baby when you get it back. Yes, I am your contrarian, you have earned it.

I am making an effort to move on here. If we had an ignore capability, I know we would both use it. I will no longer be reading anything you have to say. Not worth it. You are bringing an OD level of energy to this board. None of us need that.

Crawford, by all accounts, will be ready to play. Kemp as well. I think our team is pretty much set, with Gordon likely going to AAA for every day playing time. I am fine with a defensive replacement in the outfield. Tony Gwynn Jr. is not a good hitter, but he does bring a +dWAR to the field. Hairston is average. Punto and Schumaker and Punto look like the same guy to me.

Herrera? Small sample, but not an impressive one. Not a good defensive player, and his bat? OPS+ of 87. meh. I would hope we could do better, but most of our outfield bench candidates look like .250 hitters at best.

You DO have the cure for Ethier quas…… lay off any breaking ball that starts over the middle of the plate and take everything back through the middle. Easy squeezy. But, that has been the cure for several years now and he hasn’t got it done. Maybe Mc can change him, but I wouldn’t expect anything different than what he has done over his career. He is what he is.

32. HemmorhoidRage says:

Glad to hear you say that, now just do what you say and move on. You have been very weak at following thru on your word, at every opportunity. If you want me to move and on and not bring a OD vibe, whatever that is, then stop being an A-hole and allow others to have an opinion that isn’t revised to fit your talking points. Live and let live, be civil and knock off the nit-picking of peoples posts (ie, “I don’t think everyone” and the other stupid BS that you choose to attack my and others posts).

Consider it a closed matter, unless you choose to revert to your childish attacks. I’m cool as long as you stick to your plan to “move on”.

Peace and let’s get back to baseball and open dialogue.

33. KEN says:

I didn’t get the new post.

Glad that Gwynn is Finally healthy. What? Who Knew? Maybe he will play for LAD for 1-2 weeks in April.

BASEBALL STARTS TODAY

34. Pete M. says:

Baseball guys and gals…. Come on!!!
    Game #1 today albeit ST…A time to celebrate an end to a long weary winter…
    This guy, that guy, whatever!!! I want the best 25 at the time leaving Camelback…I can forget the past…Clean slate…Help my team and I’m with you…