Blue Bloods or Blue Collars?

Pinch me!  This is the time of year that everyone is reading all the projections from ZiPS, Fangraphs, Baseball Prospectus, Bill James and Scout. Fans are ga-ga over the Dodgers, but not everyone is drinking the Kool-Aid.  While many pre-season polls and publications have the Dodgers winning the N.L. West, USA Today has the Dodgers finishing 3rd in the N.L. West behind the Giants and D-Backs.  That’s a dose of reality for you – the Dodgers payroll which is more than the the Giants and D-Backs combined could actually finish behind both of those teams?  Yes, it could happen, but I am not predicting it.

I put very little stock in these projections.  For instance, here’s what some predict about Carl Crawford:

• ZiPS: .269, 11 home runs, 49 RBIs, 21 stolen bases
  • James: .274, 16 home runs, 68 RBIs, 36 stolen bases
  • Scout: .275, 10 home runs, 60 RBIs, 30 stolen bases

A leadoff hitter hitting .269 to .275 isn’t considered very good, but he could do much worse.  He did in Boston.  However, he could also do a lot better.  That would be awesome.  As fans we hope for the best, and I have often been accused of looking at the Dodgers through “Blue-Colored Glasses”.  My glasses are actually clear, but my blood is blue and that’s the segue to the point of this post:  Many of the Dodgers are Blue Bloods because of their talent level and contract values.  Look at these contracts:

• Adrian Gonzalez – $107,000,000.00 (6 years)
  • Carl Crawford – $102,500,000.00 (5 years)
  • Matt Kemp – $127,210,000.00 (7 years)
  • Zach Greinke – $147,000,000.00 (6 years)
  • Andre Ethier – $85,000,000.00 (5 years)
  • Yasiel Puig – $42,000,000.00 (7 years)
  • Hyun-Jin Ryu – $42,000,000.00 (6 years)
  • Josh Beckett – $31,500,000.00 (2 years)
  • Hanley Ramirez – $31,500,000.00 (2 years)
  • Chad Billingsley – $23,000,000.00 (2 years)
  • Brandon League – $22,500,000.00 (3 years)
  • Clayton Kershaw – $200,000,000.00 (8 years coming soon)

Add in a few other lesser contracts and the Dodgers have $1 Billion in salary obligations and I guarantee that many of these guys think they are Blue Bloods.  I mean, you would think the same thing if you had a huge contract.  Yes, they are really Blue Bloods, but what I want to know is:  Are they Blue Collar?   The Dodgers are not going to win because of their talent alone.  They will win if they are smart and willing to work.  Give me Blue Collar over Blue Blood any day, but I’ll take Blue Blood, Blue Collar EVERY day!

Will Matt Kemp realize that running through a wall for just one out is not smart?  Will he live to fight another day instead of trying to make it all happen himself on one play?  Will Hanley, Carl, Andre and Adrian just play their games and not try and win it all themselves?  Will these Blue Bloods play like Blue Collar, lunch-bucket, junkyard dogs or spoiled rich, prima donna brats?

Let’s hope these guys are the right color of Blue – Collar!  After all, I’m a junkyard dog type of guy.

luminor-uv

14 Responses to “Blue Bloods or Blue Collars?”

I am choosing to ignore the money and just watch them play.

2. Broxton's Bunny Soul says:

Here’s an interesting question for you gents? How many dead stadiums have you been to?

For me its Old Yankee, Shea, and Jack Murphy

Ebbets Field, Polo Grounds (Giants and Mets), Shea Stadium, Old Yankee Stadium.

Ditto, what Badger said.

Projections are useless. Who knows exactly how Kemp and Crawford feel, and how far along the healing process is. They probably don’t even know, for sure.

And as for projections regarding the team. Who knows how many times that might change, given transactions, etc. that will likely occur between now and August.

Perceptions will change over time, so why worry about it now. I can also see panic setting in if certain players, or the team get off to a slow start. Rest assured, I won’t be one of the those in panic mode. I’ll just sit back, watch the games, and observe as events begin to take their course.

Here are the dead stadiums I have been to (I was too young for Ebbets Field):

Veterans Stadium

Busch Stadium

Jack Murphy Stadium

Exhibition Stadium – Toronto

RFK Memorial Stadium

6. SpokaneBob says:

My dead stadiums include the Coloseum, Wrigley Field (the Angels played there before they started sharing Dodger Stadium), Candlestick Park, The Kingdoom, Jack Murphy, County Stadium,and Riverfront. Does being at the Mall of Amercia (site of Metropolitan Stadium) count?

So there are questions to be answered about the team. No one here or anywhere knows what the answers might be. What we do know is that this team is a work in progress and we have owners who will continually work to improve it. I can see Gordon starting at AAA and end up being our shortstop at some point during the year. The trade deadline is very likly going to bring some more changes. Given the difference between this team and the one we had last year I feel confident about our chances of being in the playoffs. Once there its anybodys guess as to what team wins, but our improved starting pitching gives us a much better chance than we would have had last year. Its all good and we can and should enjoy the season if we go in knowing that there will be ups and downs.

7. KEN says:

Dodgers to play 40 games during spring training this year. 40 is the number that equates to judgment. Perfect!

Many of us in here, other fans, writers and spectators will be judging the dodgers this year and expressing our opinions regarding whether or not the dodgers have truly turned the corner, whether the money spent on payroll was worth, it and other every issues under the sun including whether or not Gumpy can beat out Cruz and move Hanley to 3B before the trade deadline.

List of baseball parks / stadiums I have been to, that are no longer active:

(21)
    Rangers – Arlington Stadium
    Mariners – Kingdome
    Braves – Fulton County Stadium
    White Sox – Comiskey Park
    Montreal – Jarry Park
    Montreal – Olympic Stadium

List of stadiums active, I have been to:
    (16)
    Indians – Progressive Field
    Rangers – Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
    Blue Jays – Rogers Centre
    Braves – Turner Field
    White Sox – U.S. Cellular Field
    Cubs – Wrigley Field

That is a total of 37 major league baseball parks/teams I have visited.

Teams where I have NOT been to:
    (7)
    Detroit
    Marlins
    Yankees
    Washington
    San Diego
    Twins
    Rays

OK, first game of Spring Training (really early) — Dodgers pick up where they left off these past 24 years — loosing 5 to nothing in the 5th inning.

After 5 innings, Ethier and Uribe have the only Dodger hits.

Kershaw, 2 innings, 4 hits, 2 runs, zero walks, 3 Ks, ERA at 9.00.

And IT IS Spring Training.

10. KEN says:

Uribe rocks!

Gordon got a walk!

Same old RISP 0 – 5

Dodger pitchers struck out 13 White Sox!

Held Soxs to 9 runs by holding 17 runners on base :)

Terrible first game

11. HemmorhoidRage says:

The days of having true Blue Collar players has past. A team may have one or two that can be described as that type of player but the rest, not so much. Most have been so coddled and spoon-fed all of their lives and now made into ulta-rich millionaires, they really don’t know what it means to get down and dirty and fight and scratch. So a team is lucky to have some real tough asses. Kirk Gibsons are almost non-existent, so better set your expectations a little lower or you can only be disappointed by the players nowadays.

12. Idaho al says:

Spring training does not mean much and neither does the predictions. However, I like our chances this year better than any year, because the ownership will do what they can to make the Dodgers a winner. In spring training, some ball players will play themselves off the the team and others will play themselves on the team. I hope Gordon is one of those who plays himself on the team, and is the starter when the season starts.

Understand Mark. We have come a long way since we talked in Vero over dinner, games, and all — of the possible Dodger fan web board. It is the best one out there for fans to talk together.

For those interested, I also look at: Scout . . . (the Dodger side)

I start here:

Then click on the first one: “Los Angeles Dodgers, +Moderators”

That brings up the various discussions. Right now, the first one, 2013 Dodgers Spring Training has 3 pages.

Then: Dodgers/MLB Trades, Rumors, Etc. has 33 pages.

The 5th file down is, “Prospect News . . .” The Dodger farm . . .

Then more follow, but the most used ones are at the top

You can sign in and up. Have never paid anything. Some really knowledgable Dodger fans there . . .

In and around that site are article and stuff on the Dodgers, but I basically keep to the posting site above.

Let me know what you think. I use “Texas Dodger” there. Oh, there is someone that uses a name close to that, so don’t confuse.

The folks there will welcome you.

But Mark will be back — just check in, in the future.