15 Minute Drill

I have 15 Minutes to give you this week:

• Yasiel Puig looks like a player not the be denied.  There are still lots of things to be decided:  Can Crawford be an impact player?  Can Ethier be an All-Star?   If Crawford can re-capture his glory, look for Ethier to be traded for a 3B, with Puig going to RF.  Or if Crawford can’t cut it, then Puig Goes to LF.   Now or at the break…
  • The Dodgers have a plethora of starters and it would appear to me that Harang and Capuano are on their way out of town.   With Lilly untradeable and Magill and Fife at the ready, there is no reason to keep either highly valuable commodity.  Could Ethier be packaged with them for a 3B?  I doubt it now.
  • The Dodgers have some really good-looking bench players:  Castellanos, Herrera, Amazaga, Punto, Schumaker, Hairston, et al.  They have more bench players than Kim Kardashian has lovers and that’s a bunch!!!
  • Good Bye Juan Uribe!
  • No one seriously believes Don Mattingly should have tried to beat the Giants on Sunday, do they?   Really?  You are not serious are you?
  • Josh Beckett looks to be in great shape and loaded for bear.
  • What if Guggenheim were indicted?  Just asking!   Read this BLURB in THE LA TIMES.   Ponder the ramifications (it probably won’t happen).
  • Could Castellanos platoon with Ethier?

presidents-day-week-sale

22 Responses to “15 Minute Drill”

1. KEN says:

Great article regarding the Crazy Guggenheims. Just as I suspected, over a $ billion from the insurance companies. By 2016 the Insurance Commissioner’s office should be calling the LAD a non-performing asset.

Well, somebody apparently seriously believes Mattingly should have tried to beat the Giants. But nobody who is in possession of a rational mind.

Mark, did you have a change of heart re: Uribe? That’s OK. It happens to all of us.

Puig is undoubtedly a very good prospect, and I’m sure the Dodgers have serious plans for him. Maybe he’ll tear it up at Chattanooga or ALBQ. and make it to LA at the break. But I’m not ready to anoint him big league ready based on very early ST returns. But, you never know. Maybe he’s one of those rare prodigies that burst upon the scene every now and again. After all, no one expected Mike Trout to perform quite like he did last year.

Ethier could be packaged for a third baseman (who I don’t know), but that would really depend on how ready the Dodgers feel Puig is either now or at mid-season.

Magill did well his first time out, so perhaps he might rise to the occasion. But, it’s only February, and it is ST. He still hasn’t faced the kind of hitters he’d be facing during the regular big league season. But stranger things have happened. And it could depend to a large degree on what Harang and/or Capuano could fetch on the trade market.

Ken,

I have a bad feeling about this.

Nothing has passed my smell test!

4. Rob says:

Mark has said in the past that both uribe and Gordon would have a great ST but I know he just did it to start a fire being this site. Gordon has so much range but can’t throw straight to save his life and that’s why I think second base would be perfect for him. As for uribe, let’s just make his name the new Mendoza (Uribe) line.

5. Rob says:

Agree Bobby, he is horrible

6. Pete M. says:

It would have been good for the LAD team, in a land far far away, that a hot hitting Juan-Gone and Dee G. be starting April 1 at the Ravine. Donnie will keep clicking his heels together on Juan but to no avail…
    Absolutely great news on Y.P. & Magill…Did anyone tell them they’re going to the minors???
    Castellanos, my 4th.OF hangin in there….. Life is good!!!

Today’s game is on mlb.tv. Mannnnnn I hope Puig plays today; I really want to see his swing and talents.

8. Quasimodo says:

Ugh….been feeling baaaad the last few days. Just stopped in to stick up for Ethier. For me todays game is on primeticket. Glad you’re still running here Mark.

9. Bobbie17 says:

I seem to remember someone saying last season that the Giants were overrated. Some just don’t get it. I am glad our manager has some true believers-the real fans.

10. Kevin says:

I love how Mark predicts that Uribe will win the 3B job in writing as well as video and then when it becomes apparent he still sucks he completely backtracks and says he was just trying to “induce a riot.” It’s okay to admit you were wrong, just own up to it like a man. Geez.

B17, the only one who doesn’t get it is you. No sense in my elaborating, since it’s clear to everyone (i.e., us real fans).

I understand Mark. I figured out a long time ago that you sometimes say things just to get our blue blood boiling.

12. Quasimodo says:

Well I guess it was interesting enough today. Mostly it showed theres some talent that’ll be in our minors as well as our bench appears in pretty fair shape. Does anyone know if Dodgers and Angels are to put stronger lineups for the game tomarrow? It’ll be on Fox Sports West.

13. HemmorhoidRage says:

Mark, I like the brief topic blogs, I think you have found your stride, Short & Sweet probably gives you what you are looking for and gives us what we are looking for. No, I am not bashing your previous long (winded, lol) blogs, but due to the state you find your schedule in, I think this is a much better fit.

Thanks for keeping the site open and the new Readers Digest Version. I think all (oops Badger hates any generalizations) I mean, most can agree with me on this.

Kershaw looked strong today. However, no one (oops) most people understand that pitchers aren’t nor should be trying all of their pitches this early in spring training. Pitchers should only be trying to stretch out their arms, increasing their pitching stamina and maybe pitching at only 75 to 80% of capacity. So don’t put much stock in early pitching results or even early batting results (it’s glorified batting practice this early in the camp.

To all (oops, there I go again), To most of you, have a good evening.

14. jerry says:

well cruz has two home runs so far..not bad for spring training

15. KEN says:

Is Cruz trying to become the next Jose Bautista? Cruz is listed as 2 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier. Not that I believe any of the official heights and weights of players are accurate. :)

Great play by Uribe today. He could start at 1B in ALBA this year.

“But Koufax also worked with relievers like Kenley Jansen and Javy Guerra, and young Major Leaguers like Josh Wall. Midway through his stay, the role expanded to one-on-one morning sessions with the top pitching prospects in Minor League camp — Zack Lee, Chris Reed, Angel Sanchez, Jose Dominguez and converted third baseman Pedro Baez, who Koufax said shocked him by displaying “four Major League pitches” even though he’s thrown only one inning in his life, in instructional league.”

The above was from this article on the Dodgers website:

Wonder if Pedro Baez might make quick progress a la Kenley Jansen.

It’s only ST, and I’m not going to get too excited by what Luis Cruz does. However, if the decision he made last year to listen to his father and put aside what his coaches had been trying to change for years is true, then perhaps he might turn out to be for real. It did happen for Bautista, so why not Cruz? I wouldn’t bet the house on it, but I think it’s in the realm of possibility that he could turn out to be better than we anticipate. And if McGwire can convince him to be more selective, who knows, maybe he becomes an offensive force. Only time will tell.

Uribe needs to contact Jenny Craig. Brain Sebean must be laughing his A$$ off.

1. [...] 15 Minute Drill I have 15 Minutes to give you this week: Yasiel Puig looks like a player not the be denied.  There are still lots of things to be decided:  Can Crawford be an impact player?  Can Ethier be an All-Star?   If Crawford can re-capture his glory, look for Ethier to be traded for a 3B, [...]… [...]