Today Bob Costas was asked who the best team in LA was and he replied: “The Dodgers will be soon.“ But they persisted and asked “But who is number one right now?” He answered “The Angels, right now.“ So, the Dodgers have the biggest payroll in baseball and they are not the best team in baseball, even in the NL, maybe even in their division and now not in LA! Don’t shoot the messenger – I’m just reporting what was said and what I also believe.
Fangraphs did their projections yesterday for the LA Dodgers right HERE. They have Carl Crawford hitting .269, AJ Ellis at .248, Hanley and Andre at .267 and Gonzo at .286. Juan Uribe is at .235. Luis Cruz is projected at .262. YIKES!!!
Those of you who don’t even want to consider Juan Uribe lack imagination. You see how horrible he has been and think he has always been horrible. Let me remind you of a few things:
- Juan Uribe has been a starter on two World Series Championship Teams.
- His career BA is .251, not .199.
- He doesn’t strike out at a record pace.
- He has 157 career HR and has hit over 20 homeruns in four different seasons.
- He’s playing for his last contract.
- He’s got Big Mac.
I’m not convinced he will make it, but Dee Gordon and Juan Uribe will both have an excellent opportunity to make the team due to the World Baseball Classic. If they don’t make the cut, it will their fault! I think you see a lot of Gordon at SS and Uribe at 3B this spring. As a side note, compare Uribe and Brandon Inge – similar careers.
Rants & Raves:
- The fact that some people have Zach Lee as the Dodgers number one prospect is either an indictment of the Dodgers system or probable cause that insanity exists. I’m not convinced he’s even a Number 5.
- The best deals will come at the trade deadline when previously untouchable players will be available. More and more, that’s what I think the Dodgers are looking at.
- Don’t hold your breath expecting trades or signings.
- This team scares me a lot!