Mid-January Video Report

120 Responses to “Mid-January Video Report”

1. DodgerDude says:

Wow Dude, you have a TV show now? Can I be on it?

2. the truth hurts says:

Mark, your sexy and you know it……..now I know it.

Anyways, great video, your asking all the right questions.

Exciting times ahead….

Well done man. Look forward to more.

You do say Crawford leading off, but you do not say it with conviction. And of course, I know why. Crawford belongs in the two hole.

I am not as big on that left right thing, but I do understand the thinking. I would rather have Kemp batting in the first inning of every game. Schumacher in there against all RH pitching is fine with me. There are a lot of what you call “tough” RHers in the NL West. Platoon Ellis and Schu.

Agree about Uribe of course, and I think Hairston and Schumacher are the back-ups, so there is no place for Sellers.

I think the Dodgers need to be serious about addressing the lead-off spot. Just because Crawford is the best we have doesn’t mean he should do it. Look at the numbers and you know I am right. In ten years, over 6,000 plate appearances, he has 1700 PA’s leading off and he has hit .284 with a .319 OBP. In the two hole, he has hit .302 with a .345 OBP and an OPS over .800. He is the ideal two hole hitter. You want a lineup that is going to win the West, reinforce all spots. If it isn’t Gordon, and you are right, it won’t be, then get the right guy there.

Again, well done.

• Kevin says:

I think we will go with a combo of Ellis/Schumaker as far as leading off goes. Not the greatest option but if we go with a strict platoon it shouldn’t be too bad. I just read an article where Mattingly hinted at the same thing.

Ellis, M/Schumaker
      Crawford
      Kemp
      Gonzo
      Ramirez
      Ethier
      Cruz
      Ellis, A.J.

Good job, well produced and the narrator was excellent. Watch out Dennis Hasbert. The only thing missing was a word from or sponser.

Can we get an edit button?

6. ken says:

Awesome!!
    Pretty good for a guy that is retired :)

Scott Rolen?

Scott Rolen?

Well, I thought it could good idea a few days ago. Nobody said nothin’ then so, now that the Times is talking about it, I wonder if it’s a better idea?

He hits well in Dodger Stadium. He doesn’t need to play 150 games. But, the bad news is, he sure has faded the last two years. Injury? Yep. Bad shoulder. Maybe some PRP injections and he will be good as new.

Great Job Mark. Trade Ethier to Seattle for Seager (3B) or however you spell it, sign Bourn and get ready for Spring. Looking Forward to next weeks video. Maybe I can do a Romo bomb behind your video at Camelback.

Romo bomb?

I get the feeling Mark is right here, Crawford will be leading off and my prediction is he won’t excell there. Ellis is another option but he may clog the bases for a speedy Crawford.
    I am curious what happens with Punto, Hairston, Schumaker, Sellers,Ellis. They are virtually the same guy. I heard word of Punto being shopped. I mean something has to give, right?

I want to throw this out there because I can also see this coming: Crawford will struggle leading off and he will get hammered by us fans. I hope the smarter fans get that you can’t throw a guy anywhere in the lineup and expect the same as a spot he is used to being. I hope I am wrong about my fellow fans….but I doubt it. The good news is Crawford is ahead of schedule in his rehab and is on track to be raedy for Opening Day!

Rolen makes a little sense as a spot 3B to me, also if he can learn 1B he can back up Gonzo. He can’t play everyday and maybe he is the pop off the bench we need. Don’t forget Juan Rivera is looking for work. He can play 1B every once in a while as well as both corner OF spots. He is healthy and I think for a bench guy he is not bad. I knoiw he hated losing his starting spot here but I think Juan has to look himself in the mirror and realize he is a 4th OF at best these days.

See y’all at Fan Fest.

It has been reported that the M\’s will not trade Seager for Ethier. I think Seager is ready for stardom. They might trade him for Kemp, but that ain\’t happening!

10. HemmorhoidRage says:

Really a broken down or breaking down Rolen at 3B? I pray not, this would be one of those really bad deals that everyone is excited about for about 1 month then reality sets in and the DL follows quickly. “JUST SAY NO!” Cruz earned his shot and will just have to show you guys once again that he is our 3B.

I am inclined to agree with rage against the hemorrhoids. (Well done by the way. Every time you do something to piss me off, you redeem yourself with something cool) I would like Rolen as the off the bench thumper, back-up to Gonzalez, occasional start at third and DH for the interleague games. If that isn’t enough for him, then let him stay in Cincinnati. He isn’t a starter anymore.

And I also think Romey is right about Crawford. If he struggles in the lead-off roll, and his numbers in that spot suggest he might, (tOPS of 90) then there will be negative press and fan reaction. We need a lead-off man and Crawford is not him. Let him do what it is he is good at. He is the ideal 2 hole guy. He is being paid to hit like he did in Tampa, and that was out of the 2 hole. Come on Jed, do your GM thing and find us that mix. I think an outfield of Crawford, Bourn and Kemp would be the best outfield in the NL. There are 3 possible Gold Gloves there and about 350 runs scored.

We don’t need to get Seager from Seattle for Andre, though it would be nice. Those prospects they were willing to give the dbacks will do, though I doubt they would do the same package for Ethier. Make it close and it would be enough. Since there are no Longoria/Wright types out there (that I am aware of) maybe we go with Cruz/Rolen and hope for the best.

Good job Mark. You took many of the ideas from board posters and gave a great roundup for the world to see/hear.

3B is a problem/concern.

Dee Gordon is out of a job at SS. Some suggest CF, but that takes years to learn to play at this level on a championship team.

Sooooooo — why not move Dee Gordon to 3B !!!! Yes, that does take a bit to learn, the swinging bunt, the bunt, leaning into boxes for foul balls, etc. But it is much like playing SS.

Benefits. No one on the present roster is much better. Cruz is a nice player, but I believe Dee gives more to the team with his speed. Uribe would have to really be re-birthed to get his hitting stroke down.

It would be easier to make Dee a 3rd baseman, then a center-fielder. Spring Training could get him ready for the season. And if he just cannot get on base, Cruz and Uribe are there. If none that works, then trade a starter and another for a body . . .

I can’t imagine Scott Rolen would do any better than Luiz Cruz at this point.

Let him go elsewhere. If we’re going to improve our 3b, make it with Hanley, or Seattle’s Saeger, or God-willing Chase Headley. I’d rather Ron Cey come back to 3b than Rolen.

Pitchers and catchers report in 25 days!!!

“I can’t imagine Scott Rolen would do any better than Luiz Cruz at this point.”

I can imagine it, but I wouldn’t bet on it. In a limited role, I think he could be helpful. But if he wants to be signed as a starter, then he doesn’t belong in L.A..

I could imagine the conversations around the batting cage with Mattingly, Lopes, McGwire, Rolen, Gonzalez, Ramirez and Kemp. I’d like to be the fly on the cage if that were to happen.

Gordon at third? Well, interesting idea, just to get him in the lineup, but that won’t happen. He is destined for the minors, or, for another organization. Ramirez is only 29, he is going to want to play SS for at least the remaining 2 years. And if the Dodgers intend to comply with his …. request, then he will be our SS for those two years.

I think Gordon is real close. He hit well his first year up, and has hit well at every station. He just needs to heal up (thumbs are ornery injuries) and he will make a good addition to a lineup somewhere.

Where is Brooklyn?

And don’t tell me New York.

17. Beckett_rockett says:

Getting Emilio Bonifacio by trade may be the answer. My proposal is like this; Emilio Bonifacio for Nick Punto, Josh Wall(or Ames)

Cheap alternative is Chone Figgins. Minor league contract him, and see what he got in the Spring training.

Best senario would be to get Elvis Andurus or Adrian Beltre. That will be hard. Let me propose like this;
    Beltre for Ryu, Puig, Guerra ?
    Dodgers already paid the posting fee(25.7mil) of Ryu and the signing bonus (15mil) of Puig.
    So if they wanted Ryu badly (they were in on the bidding), it could be happening. And they got Mike Olt, Profar also. It can be possible,
    It would help the dodgers a lot.

I wouldn’t trade any of the starters. The Dodgers are going to win this thing with great pitching. Deep pitching. The idea will be to hold every team to 3 runs or less, and beat ‘em without a lead-off hitter or thumpers at third or on the bench.

But, keep ‘em coming rockett. Get us a professional third baseman and a .380 OBP lead-off guy with a cheetah strapped to his back.

19. Bball says:

Phillies need corner outfield help. Trade ethier for cliff lee. Swap salaries. Then sign Bourne and badger finally has his lead off hitter

20. quasimodo says:

hello all, great video mark. it’d be my guess that rolen is more likely to take uribe’s spot, not cruz’s and i’m OK with that. saw a lineup today that suggested ellis in leadoff…..not mark, but a.j. and thought about that several times through the day and that idea keeps looking better. OK, maybe the speeds not there but its puts crawford in the 2 slot…..oh well, might work-might not

21. Anonymous says:

Badger,

Brooklyn actually is in NY. And I think there are some other Brooklyn’s sprinkled around the country.

As I noted in an earlier post, I was without a computer for a quite a while. Also been extremely busy, and will be for quite some time. I’ve been glancing at this site for the past several days, but haven’t felt I had the time to post anything, at least anything with a modicum of intelligence.

Dee Gordon is probably ticketed to begin the season at ALBQ. But I wouldn’t count him out of the mix, just yet. I totally disagree that he will never profile as a big league shortstop. I believe his defensive problems come mostly on throws, which, historically, is a correctable problem. And Badger is absolutely correct when he states that “He just needs to heal up (thumbs are ornery injuries) and he will make a good addition to a lineup somewhere.” I’ve made that point myself about thumb injuries in past posts. Gordon’s injury occurred last July, and within just a few months he was playing winter ball in he Dominican Republic. I believe the injury was to his right thumb, the one on his throwing hand. I have to believe that that factor alone contributed to his erratic fielding this past winter. And yes, I know he’s had problems in the past, and he’s still far from being a polished shortstop. But it couldn’t have helped that he was coming off the injury, and had seen limited action since its occurrence in July.

I’ve read that Texas is considering starting Profar at 2B this season, with Kinsler moving over to 1B. If the Rangers think that Profar can make a quick transition to 2B, who is to say that Gordon can’t do the same? And if Gordon’s fielding problems are mostly throw related, then a move to 2B just might be what the doctor ordered. And while I think that Gordon could probably pick up CF pretty quickly, I’m not quite sure, given the options the Dodgers already have in the outfield, that moving him there would be the the most productive thing they could do.

If Gordon opens the season in ALBQ and shows progress as the season progresses, and Hanley continues to exhibit his shortcomings at short, then I don’t think it’s out of the question that we could find Hanley eventually moving over to 3B. Nor do I think it’s out of the question that Gordon could ultimately win the 2B job. If the Dodgers believe that Gordon’s problems stem from his being rushed up to the big leagues, then they’re not likely to compound that mistake by rushing to judgment on his value to the team. Nothing I’ve read indicates to me that the Dodgers are down on Gordon’s attitude. If they still believe in his ability, then they’re not going to give him away in a trade (unless the return is significant), and will make every effort to allow him to re-establish his value on the field.

I have my doubts about Rolen. But players his age have surprised before, so I see no harm in giving him the opportunity to compete at 3B. If it doesn’t work out, well so be it. And perhaps he can find youth in a bottle, and provide a solid part-time solution at 3B. And by the way, although his action was limited this winter, Luis Cruz had some underwhelming stats in Mexico. That doesn’t say for sure that last year was an aberration, and then again, it doesn’t do anything to engender great confidence that we will see a repetition of his 2012 performance. And let’s not forget, that as well as Cruz hit, he also exhibited subpar on-base abilities. As far as I’m concerned, he still has a lot to prove. And if the Dodgers are considering Rolen, then they must be thinking the same thing.

Maybe the Dodgers are finished acquiring players for the time being. But really, I don’t think these new deep pocketed Dodgers are ever out of anything, and will pounce if the opportunity presents itself. I think this management is ever vigilant, looking at all times to upgrade when the opportunity is ripe.

Finally, I just don’t see Gordon at 3B. I think the Dodgers would prefer something closer to the prototypical power third baseman. Besides, I still believe that’s where Hanley Ramirez will ultimately end up, even if Gordon doesn’t cut it at short.

The voice of reason returns.

Keeping Gordon on the infield makes the most sense to me, but I am not privy to inside conversations. Maybe Mark can make a call and find out what up. There are more than one of us that were hoping Gordon could WIN the second base job, lead off and score the 100+ runs I know he could if he were at the top of that lineup for 160 games.

Rolen taking Uribe’s spot would thrill me quas. I just don’t know if a back-up on this team is what he wants. Cincinnati is also a very good team and he may want to just stay there. Bill James has him down for 9 HR 42 runs and 47 RBI’s in 104 games. That would surpass anything our current bench could do. Uribe sure won’t get close to that. Olney gives the Dodgers a good shot at landing him. I think it makes sense.

Anybody else having trouble accessing the MLB Trade Rumors site here? I have had to leave and access it outside this site to get into it. Maybe it’s just me.

Off to Scottsdale this morning. Going to get PRP injections on all quadrants. This will be my third treatment. Trying to get back to working out so I can bench 200 again and get my right cross back in time for Spring Training. OD might show up. Just kidding.

Thanks for the update Badger.

On the “PRP injections” — are they legal? Do they hurt? How big are the needles? Does one cry afterwards? Do you have your will made out? If you take a drink afterward — does water come out? Would you do it again? And what is it all for — longer life, less pain, to pass go ???

On Ethier. Over the years, there have been rumors of his attitude concerns. Even back in college, in the minors, as a younger Dodger on the roster, etc. But sometimes those behavior actions, are just pride and confidence, and wanting to make one’s mark in baseball lore — and they can seem as as attitude.

Andre knows that as he has passed 30, time will run out in a few years (baseball wise), injuries might start occurring even more often. He needs to put out some strong years right now for the next couple of season to get his payday and stat records up there.

But as Badger and other of us have said — a key need for this team now, is a leadoff hitter. And Andre is not that, but could be a key to get it, even if he must be traded. If the Dodgers find a place for Dee Gordon to play now, Dee could be that. OR it just might be Bourn Surprise — then Andre gone.

They are legal, and yes they hurt. PRP is plasma rich platelets. They take your own blood, spin it down and inject it back into the damaged area. You can google the procedure. For those who believe in science, it is in on the procedure and it works. A lot of athletes are doing it now, including Billingsley, ARod, Fred Couples, Tracy McGrady and Tiger Woods……. ah here, take a look

I got both knees and both shoulders going. Takes over 30 injections total. The wife will drive home.

I have wondered about Ethier myself. Does he listen? Why hasn’t he improved on his one weakness?

Bourn. Rolen. Those two moves happen and I think we are complete.

ok, wish me luck. I am outta here…………

Looks like the Daily news was from the beginning of Dec 2012.

24. Pete M. says:

Badger hope all went well with your procedures.
    I’ll preface the following with, I’m one of those guys who wants Dre in RF.
    Maybe Dre’s problems stemmed from his 2005 season with the Midland RockHounds Double-A team, where he hit .319 with 18 homers and was selected as the Texas League Most Valuable Player, Oakland Athletics Minor League Player of the Year, Texas League All-Star Outfielder and Texas League All-Star Game MVP. Sometimes crap like that goes to your head.
    I don’t want his RBI output missing, plain and simple. Bourne at lead off or RBI’s in RF.. I’ll take Dre.. I’d love Puig to negate the fear, but I don’t think he’s ready yet…

Congrats to all of the Dodgers named to the USA Team. Oh, wait, there was no one. How could that be?

OK, looks to be a problem with the site. My previous two posts still haven’t shown. And yes Badger, I’ve had some problems with MLB Trade Rumors on this site. The links apparently aren’t active. I’m sure you notice that your cursor isn’t changing to a hand when you pass it over the links. I’m sure that Mark and his crack technical team will get it resolved, hopefully better than the edit/preview button issue (SMILE).

Well one out of three ain’t bad (.333). Maybe this post will get my average up to .500, or drop it to .250. Just another example of how one hit can make such a huge difference in a players batting average.

Maybe we can go a few rounds! ;)

I’m ok with dre too, IF we find a legit lead-off guy.

Back home. Feeling kinda goofy. Painful experience but am hoping for good results.

Te’o. wtf?

Lakers Heat. Who you got?

Badger,

Send me an e-mail and I will copy you back with something that has helped me immensely.

Could that be Mark’s Super Duper Water Elexicor — Drink it, bath in it, and it makes you feel better and look 10 years younger.

Yesterday, I spoke too early on Dodger players and the World Baseball Classic. Yes, no one on the USA team, but several on foreign teams:

Luis Cruz and Adrian Gonzalez (Mexico),
    Hanley Ramirez (Dominican Republic),
    Nick Punto (Italy),
    Ronald Belisario (Venezuela),
    Paco Rodriguez (Spain)

Good luck to all of them.

• Bobby says:

I think I read that Kershaw declined (likely due to his hip), and Matt Kemp probably would’ve been added, but he had his surgery as well.

33. Gonzo says:

Hey all, I think that Marks comment about SEA stepping up for Ethier is dead on. They just traded for Morse who plays 3B/1B. They now have a logjam at the infield corners Montero/Smoak 1B and Morse/Seager at 3B. So stay tuned.

I think that Kinsler is our answer for 2B and lead off. He’s not the prototypical Lead off hitter but a line of .270 15-22 HR 70-80 RBI 30-40 SB at Dodger stadium with 180-200 runs scored would be enticing to me. I don’t think it would take Ethier to get him since he just signed a new contract the Rangers could use the relief and play their prospect.

The voice of reason is back Badger? Buddy I never left!!! ;-)

Gonzo, I pay Badger to say stuff like that. Some people probably view me as being the voice of sophistry.

I thought Morse played first base and a corner outfield spot. Don’t recall ever hearing anything about 3B, but maybe I missed something. I’m sure Kinsler wouldn’t come cheap, and I’m also sure that he wouldn’t score 180-200 runs. Guessing that last part is a typo, or the result of something I’m very familiar with, dimentia rearing its ugly head. I rarely ever see Kinsler, so I really can’t speak intelligently about him. However, I would guess that whatever power numbers he’s had, they would be considerably reduced by just playing most of his games in the NL West, home of Dodger Stadium, Petco and AT @ T Parks.

Any trade of Ethier presupposes the Dodgers signing a free agent (Bourn?), or trading for a replacement.

The Dodgers probably can’t think this way right now, but one consideration regarding 2B is that Robinson Cano is a potential free agent next year. Seeing if Gordon could slot in there this year might be a way of buying time with the hope that Cano will ultimately become an alternative. If Gordon could handle 2B this year, it would give the Dodgers time to consider whether or not he is a viable part of their middle infield picture, and whether or not they need to contemplate Ramirez ultimately moving over to 3B, or maybe moved out if Mark is right, and Hanley becomes a problem.

• Bobby says:

If Kinsler is going to score 200 runs a year, I’d trade Matt Kemp for him!!

• Gonzo says:

Now that I think of it the runs scored numbers I out out are crazy. See I am the voice of reason!! I went by an article that I read online which said Kinsler scores 197 runs. But after rereading it and skimming through the posts it was evident that ESPN got the numbers wrong….by 92. He scored 105.

The info felt kind of off when I was posting and instead of doing my due diligence I posted wrong info. I thought that everything on the internet was true.

I think that a package of 2-3 mid tier prospects would work.

OR

Maybe kick the tires on Ricky Weeks for Ethier?

Am I sounding like the Bleacher Report? OK I’ll stop.

Ian Kinsler would easily score 200 runs for the Dodgers. It would take him two years, but he could do it no problem.

But I have to ask, why would the Rangers be moving Kinsler? Their logjam is at shortstop – right? Profar and Andrus are both SS’s. They moved Profar from short to second…. sort of…. he is listed as back-up for both spots…..btw, Profar joins Gordon on the All Skinny Team… if I were them, I would take Andrus or Profar and trade one of them in package for Justin Upton. Kinsler is a proven commodity (three time All Star at second base) is only 30, and should be around for at least 5 more years.

And Brooklyn, you’ve been gone a while and you owe me some money.

Morse in Seattle? Yeah, I guess he can reach the fences there. Better hold the foul pop-ups to a minimum.

Belly gets $1.45 mil, hope there is a strong morals and drug clause attaached
    Ellis gets $2.0 mil – what a bargain!

LAD at $230 mil WOW

Chump change.

I got one for you:

Ethier and prospect/cash for Justin Upton (.357 career OBP) and let him lead off. Then the dbacks can trade Kubel for prospects and they are way ahead.

Yeah I know. It will never happen. But it’s early and I got nothin else.

MLB experts? picked their 5 best starters and 5 best pen guys — and the only Dodger to make it was Greinke, and he has yet to pitch for the Dodgers.

Made me realize — this coming season, many games will be won or lost, not on the starters, but the pen.

The Nationals picked up another key arm last week. Good for them.

The Dodgers will be putting together their pen in Spring Training — let us hope come April 1, they are un-hittable.

40. Bball says:

Greinke over kershaw. I don’t think so. Those are not experts. Those are idiots. That might be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. They are obviously not experts

• ken says:

If you had seen the show then you would know that their approach was differrent than what you think it was. Not the best 5 but the best #1, best #2 ,etc.

41. Pete M. says:

Roger D – I think our pen out of ST will be among the tops in baseball… Also with some great depth at the Minor Lg. levels. Come on ST…

If you do not get/receive the MLB Network — here are some highlights:

They have bunches of clips from their shows . . . almost overkill.

43. ken says:

Sad day in MLB Land.

Badger, where do I send the check?

Brooklyn, our voice of reason………..bring it to ST in the form of cash. Enough for an NA beer will do.

Stan Musial lived to be 92 and was loved by millions. He won. Not so sure about Weaver.

Don’t have the details of the Sellers thing, but I can’t blame him for evading police. I do too. Seems whenever they are around, bad news follows.

Speaking of news……. I really don’t see any.

Looks like Brain Wilson doesn’t have anything left. Maybe all he needs is time. A minor league contract might be in order.

45. Rob says:

News flash, Justin sellers was arrested here in Sacramento for evading police!

46. Pete M. says:

Stan the Man…I remember so many in my pony/colt baseball trying to emulate his peekabo stance and end up laughing and asking “How did he do that”???
    Earl Weaver…Good player’s manager…Class clown…
    Justin, Justin, Justin!!! You probably hurt Donnie Baseball the most. He really liked you kid. You have maybe made the decision on your 40 manspot a helluva lot easier for Ned and Comp.
    Bison’s rehab going well…As usual, expect big things if he doesn’t challenge walls…40+/120 easily doable…There will be a price to pay when you face the middle of the Blue lineup…

Has anyone read what actually happened with Sellers?

He turned himself in. Doing wheelies in a neighborhood. It will blow over in a couple of days.

48. ken says:

All dodger SS have attitude problems.

There is some talk that Sellers has a history with the cops around there. Probably just a wild kid with a lot of money. Not a good combination, but hardly a real problem. He’s not getting drunk and beating up girlfriends, he’s riding his motorcycle around doing wheelies and having the cops chase him for a short time. Big deal. That used to happen every night in my old neighborhood.

If that’s the excuse to dump him from the 40 man I find it lame. If there is someone else more deserving to be on the 40 man then just cut his ass. Otherwise, let this pass and move on to Spring Training. Just my opinion.

No new file open today — Mark must be in Washington for the big doings.

There’s nothing to write about, unless you want to read about liar on a bike or a guy with an invisible girlfriend.

I am so sad that Barak (we are on a first-name basis) left me off the list of invitees.

Not really a 9er fan but at least there is a West team in it.

Note to football players – don’t wear baseball caps if you don’t how to put one on.

Speaking of Justin Sellers.

And as noted on MSTI, the chances of Sellers making the team are slim and none. Probably ticketed at some point off the 40 man, along with Juan Uribe.

And Roger, I think that was 47%. But what’s a couple of percentage points one way or the other. And Mark, I have to admit to being in shock hearing that Barak left you off the invite list. I think you should call, text or email him, and he will most certainly send Air Force One to pick you up. Didn’t you install an R.O. system at the White House?

54. HemmorhoidRage says:

BareAct

Just would like to congratulate Jack Harbaugh; can you imagine his pride?

Say, what is Jeff Kent doing these days? Bet he is in shape out there on his ranch.

Both teams that won today/tonight, I was pulling for. Not a fan of football, but Baltimore and S.F. seemed like underdogs and could use some extra magic.

Back when I was a kid, about 1954 or 55, growing up in Tucson. The S.F. 49 Niners came through for an exhibition game against someone. All I remember was the name of John Henry Johnson. That was the only pro football game I saw live, until 1967, when I was in Chicago in graduate school, and saw the Bears play a game.

I learned something I did not know during that game. The coke vender, kept yelling out: “Things go better with Coke.” I did not know what that meant. Then one of my friends said, “It is pretty cold tonight, and some folks come with some booze in a bottle, buy a Coke from this guy, pour some of the booze into the coke bottle — see, THINGS go better with Coke.” Gee, I did not know that before that Bears game.

Football can corrupt the best of us.

There I go, just following along mindlessly accepting Mark’s spelling, even though I know it’s B-A-R-A-C-K. It’s true, I’m just another lemming.

Or maybe I confused him with Ehud Barak, the former Israeli Prime Minister, and current Defense Minister. Come to think of it, maybe he can teach Dee Gordon to play a better shortstop, given his expertise in “defense”.

58. ken says:

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA

I would rather go to the DMV tomorrow if were open

“BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA”

And your point is?

Mark doesn’t know how to spell the President’s name cuz he hates the guy and never listens to a word he says. ken, who’s baseball opinion I respect, is just acting like an idiot.

In baseball news the Rockies signed Chris Volstad. In Denver most are asking “who the hell is Chris Volstad”? Well, he is a 6’8″ right hander with a losing record and a career 4.87 ERA. He’ll be a lot of help in that thin air.

Brooklyn, above you said, “And Roger, I think that was 47% . . .”

I said 49%, meaning all those voting against the President, because he won by 51%. I was not thinking of the 47% statement of his opponent, nor the 47% voting for that guy, but the totals of voters for other than . . .

But small point.

I am more interested in in the strikeout percentage of major league hitters.

Here is a very interesting stat:

“Musial was renowned for his concentration at the plate, and for his patience: he struck out only 696 times in 10,972 at-bats in his 22 major league seasons, all as a Cardinal.”

Gee, our own Matt Kemp, in 5 seasons (2008-2012) struck out 724 times or more than 28 more than Stan the Man — and one of Matt seasons (2012) he missed over 50 games or it would have been another 50 Ks.

Remember two strike hitting years ago? Choke up, protect the plate, put the ball in play and force them to earn the out

Those principles have been abandoned. Swing for the fences on everything is what is done now.

This inauguration somewhat different than W’s first.

64. ken says:

Actually somebody got 2%, so Romney got only 47%.

Badger – Someday you might hear of the right wing ideas that detail what it means when a person’s name is capitalized, i.e., on everyone’s checks, and what those letters at the end of the signature line on your checks mean :) Most people are wrong when they try to guess my point :)

Today is Jackie Robinson Day in my household. Rachel’s picture should be in the dictionary next to the word “Class”.

Only in Stan’s last year, age 42, did he have more strikeouts than BBs. At age 41 he hit .330. Wow!

Teams are filling their needs for SP and if the dodgers wait long enough no other team will need their excess SPs.

“Badger – Someday you might hear of the right wing ideas that detail what it means when a person’s name is capitalized, i.e., on everyone’s checks, and what those letters at the end of the signature line on your checks mean”

oh please, enlighten me. What does the “right wing” say about a guy who capitalizes all the letters, and middle name, of the President of the U.S. in sports chat room?

Isn’t it ironic that Romney was caught on film addressing his uber rich supporters about that exact figure? “We won’t get that 47%”. Yeah, maybe not THAT 47%, but you will get your own 47%. Karma’s a bitch. And if it weren’t for some gerrymandered right wing districts, the right wing would have been handed more of it’s own ass.

Stan Musial was one of the most natural hitters I ever saw. Rod Carew was another. Tony Gwynn, Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Frank Robinson, It’s an honor to say I saw a all of those guys in person.

On the parade march in Washington, I saw a guy on the side, a big guy, gulping a bottle of bottled water. I think it was Mark. But not sure.

This thread is getting a little long in the tooth. Clearly, no one has anything to talk about. It’s definitely the fault of the Dodgers for not making any immediate news that Mark can latch onto, and create a new thread.

Why would Mark gulp down bottled water? Can’t be good for his business. Everyone needs to install an RO system and bottle their own water. Maybe Mark’s in DC working on a contract to install water systems in the White House, and Congress. Republican, Democrat, Mark doesn’t care, as long as he gets the business.

There is an interesting post on MSTI about our third base issue. But the posts over there read like a 7th grade chat room.

There is plenty being talked about here but not much baseball.

I wonder if Mark would sell a system to a guy collecting unemployment or a single mother on welfare. I suspect he would.

He gets some heat in here

He drafts pitchers in the first round. Seager is an exception and he looks like a good pick.

The next issue of Baseball America (not yet out) will feature the top 10 of each NL West team. For now, the only one I blame for the paucity of top prospects in the Dodgers’ system is Frank McCourt. The Dodgers generally haven’t drafted very high, and during McCourt’s ownership they, for all practical purposes, abandoned the international market. All of that is changing, but it’s likely to take several years before our system begins to produce a steady pipeline of talent. In the meantime, while the system is being replenished, the Dodgers will likely have to rely heavily on their economic muscle to acquire players via trade or in free agency. In the long term, however, I believe that the plan is to build mostly from within.

At the same time, the Dodgers system isn’t completely bare. Be it Yasiel Puig, Onelki Garcia, Paco Rodriguez, Zach Lee, Chris Reed, and others, there are likely to be some contributors from the farm system. For me, it’s just wait and see.

Let us say, the owners of the Los Angeles Dodgers were playing cards with the owners of the Washington Nationals — and the stakes had changed . . . and after the game was over — the rosters were swapped as a result.

How would YOU feel or respond? Like your new roster???

“But the posts over there read like a 7th grade chat room.”

Badger, you’re being generous. I generally don’t read the posts at MSTI. After reading your remark, I decided to take a look. Not glad I did.

I know we are all stir crazy here but I would like to ask MARK if he would consider roving correspondents to refresh the blog?
    I would totally endorse Badger, Roger or Brooklyn to take a load off of you.

I tried it Michael, didn’t work out. But Brooklyn or ken is fine with me. Or anyone really who wanted to give it a try.

“I generally don’t read the posts at MSTI” Brooklyn

I don’t either Brooklyn. Mike is a good writer with great info, but the posters there are juvenile.

“Be it Yasiel Puig, Onelki Garcia, Paco Rodriguez, Zach Lee, Chris Reed, and others, there are likely to be some contributors from the farm system. For me, it’s just wait and see.”

And none of those guys show up yet in the top 30. Agree it’s a wait and see.

• ken says:

Thank you but I just started a new business while my current business is expanding. Can’t wait to be accurately accused of being in the top 1% :)

74. Pete M. says:

R.D. Now thats a helluva poker game, but after a litlle thought, I gotta go with the Nt’s roster. It kills me to say it, but I just think the Nats are loaded stem to stern.
    Anyone out there venture a guess what happens to Tony G. Jr.???
    MSTI comments very hard to take…Tasteless…with hardly any baseball input…
    I have to add Santana and Seager to Logan’s group…
    With AGon and Hhanley MIA and Kemp and Crawford at a slow recovery pace, We’re going to get to see alot of different player combos in ST, which I really like. Be able to check out Castellanos and our new 2B/OF Schumacher.

Good take Pete.

I am anxious to see what player who is currently on the periphery steps up and earns his shot. Castellanos, Tolleson, Gordon, Gwynn, Hairston….. and there are some NRI’s that could make some noise as well. Barden looks like Arnold under that shirt, and McPherson looks like he can hit a ball 500′. Schumacher could actually earn a starting role on this team.

It’s going to be interesting. And although I think Pete is right, we are currently 17-2 odds to win the World Series. Nats 9-1. I think that might change as the year unfolds. (Blue Jays the favorites at 15-2)

75. HemmorhoidRage says:

I forgot about Hairston, loved it when he was playing 3B early in the season. Has he fully recovered and ready for the ST.

A battle or platooned 3B of Hairston and Cruz seems it could be a pretty productive spot for us.

76. Pete M. says:

Speaking of Hairston, the name of Scott Hairston being brought up lately intrigues me. 20 HR’s last year is cool. Low OBP isn’t great but pop off the bench is important to me. He would probably like playing with his bro.
    Of course I won’t end without bringing up my boy Jim Thome.

This from MSTI re: Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz

Agree with Mike Petriello, that if the Dodgers like this kid they’re likely to be a strong bidder.

LA Times reporting we’ve agreed to a 7 billion deal with Time Warner to start their own channel.

Good lord.

79. quasimodo says:

Good morning all, I don’t think I’m the only one who falls asleep with MLBN on the TV with hopes of waking up to some fresh dodger news. Hot stove starts the day at 6:00 am here in california but seems to be cooking leftovers. At least its cool to get all the confirmation on the pitching we have. Did I miss any news about Scott Rolen?…Rightly or wrongly i get the idea that Big Mack has a voice the FO listens to and the interest in Rolen came from him. Oops! Sorry friends, guess I’ve nothing to offer but my stupid ramblings

80. quasimodo says:

wow. is that the deathnail for prime ticket come 2014? likely. but hopefully directv will still provide the new dodger channel without passing the bill to us

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]