Juan Uribe is a Good Guy Who Has Been Bad…

Yeah, I know he’s been horrible as a Dodger, but he is a good guy, good teammate and well-liked by his peers.  That at least speaks to his character, but not his talent.  For the record, I am predicting a resurgence for Uribe this year and while he has been absolutely awful as a Dodger, that does not automatically mean he will be horrible next year – his contract year.  There will probably never be another Dodger player who has played as bad as Juan Uribe has the past two years, but there is reason for hope.  Hear me out!

Consider this:

• You think he’s a free swinger who chases everything and strikes out and you would be half right.  He is a free swinger who chases everything, but he has only struck out 100 times twice in 12 years;
  • He averages 5.58 at-bats per strikeout – not the worst ever;
  • The year before he signed with the Dodgers he hit 24 HR and had 85 RBI for the Giants and Giants fans loved him;
  • His career 162 game average is still 18 HR and 75 RBI with a .251 BA;
  • He’s only 33; and
  • He should be motivated to be in great shape while playing for a contract.

Of course he’s no All-Star, or even close, but if he could do what his career 162 game average is, I take him in a heartbeat.  Luis Cruz could lose his spot to Uribe because he’s headed to the World Baseball Classic.  Cruz may not make the team out of Spring Training if Uribe gets hot.  Uribe will get his chance in the spring and least we forget, he is a very good defensive 3B.

I know you all hate Juan Uribe because he has really let all the Dodger fans down, but past performance is not indicative of future prospects.  He has put up numbers in the past that Luis Cruz can only dream of.  I know you love Cruz, but ask yourselves “How many major league teams would even have a roster spot for him?  He is insurance in case Juan Uribe stinks up the joint again.  In all reality, Uribe is light years better than Cruz and that’s not saying much.

Luis Cruz was a “feel good story” last season.    Remember when Oscar Robles was that guy?

This ain’t Mamby Pamby Land, you Jackwagons!

Now that I’ve said that, if Juan doesn’t come out blazing, he’s going to be walking sooner than later in the Spring.

36 Responses to “Juan Uribe is a Good Guy Who Has Been Bad…”

1. KEN says:

I think that Cruz will have a OPS+ higher than 24 in his sophmore year. His career stats closely follow those of Casey Blake.

Mark, send Uribe to either AA or AAA and let him show that he can start swinging and hitting the ball, and not just swinging and missing the ball.

When he get’s his hitting eye back . . . then bring him back. But gee, don’t have him hit off of dufas pitchers in Spring Training — throw him to 3b, and then he fails again.

Hey, I am with you on this one. I give him a 33% chance of winning the starting job and an 80% chance of improving his numbers. I just hope he comes to ST in shape. If he shows up 20 pounds overweight then that will tell me he doesn’t give a damn anymore.

Contract year. Don’t ever underestimate its power. This could easily mean another 15 milyun for him.

They can’t send him down. That’s out of the question. Roster or off the Roster. That’s the only choice.

We will know early!

6. emerson-Lake says:

I’d be amazed if Juan Uribe really is 33. He looks 5 years older, and comes from a generation of Latin Players where making up younger signing ages was routine. And he’s way heavy too. Heavy and old is not a good combination. Unless he comes to camp a good 20 pounds lighter than he was last year, I’d say Juan is more ready to be the Dodger’s third base coach than he is our third baseman. And if he can’t play, and Donny is going to bury him on the bench, better to just stuff his duffle bag full of Dodger-Dollars, send him off down the highway give Cruz the 3B job, and Castellanos his seat on the bench.

7. Bball says:

I have never hated Juan. I really hope he does win the job back. I have posted many times in favor of him. Kind of like I always supported Ned. Come on Juan don’t let me down

8. Bball says:

Ya Emerson I also think he’s not 33. His name is probably different too

He
    He’s probably 53.

I think I’m a good guy, and I don’t think I would want me at 3B (besides, I throw lefthanded). Juan Uribe has a career OBP of .296, and a few scattered good years between a bunch of not so good years. And as was pointed out in an earlier post on a different thread (might have been Badger), 33 in the post-PED era is starting to get on in years.

I definitely have my doubts about Cruz, but I have even bigger ones about Uribe, who I have NEVER liked. And these are the post-McCourt Dodgers, who don’t have to settle for mediocrity, and who will probably not hesitate to jettison a bad contract. I still like Hanley for 3B, but barring that I’m sure there are other alternatives. Lots can happen between now and the opening of the season, or between now and the July trading deadline. But one of those things that could happen, i.e., Juan Uribe starting the season as the Dodgers third baseman, is one of those things that I don’t think is going to happen.

Mark, you’re a good guy. Why doesn’t Mattingly pencil you into 3B.

11. Bball says:

Ya everything saying is true but one thing cause they have already hesitated. He’s been horrible but hey stranger things have happened.

The depth charts list Cruz as the starter and Uribe is down the list. The Dodgers aren’t talking. Who knows what is being said, but you can bet they are looking around.

13. Jae says:

Cruz could not carry Robles jock and Robles was crap! That makes Cruz worse than crap.

Wilson Betemit?

Maybe Baltimore would be willing to deal with us. He’s better than anyone we got, and he’s a back-up for them.

15. Pete M. says:

Mark…You are a man of steel…You have opened up that can of Uribe crapola…I’m on your side with this one though. With Cruz gone to the the WBC, we will be able to hopefully see alot of Uribe at 3B. Show me what ya got!!! Or a very quiet exit with the Blue picking up the rest of contract…
    Betemit… I liked the kid when he rolled thru here. I guess I just pay attn. to his FLD%… Ouch…The only given with Uribe is can pick em at 3B. Besides I think Betemit left here with a bitter taste in his mouth..
    Hell, you say Betemit, why not take a chance on Sean Burroughs…A Hamilton like early drug tale and ready to start thumping…

16. Pete M. says:

Fast forward April 1…Opening day vs. the Gigantes…Now playing RF and hitting 5th. Andre Ethier, at 3B, batting 7th. Cruz/Uribe (?)….It’s a given!!!
    Simultaneously every available Blue scout with a pulse at ever MLB ballpark looking at any 3B candidate with a pulse…
    Simu (see above) Corey Seager wrecking one MiLB team after another!!!
    Keep the faith, be happy!!!

17. HemmorhoidRage says:

Cruz may not deserve the starting spot just for being stupid enough to leave ST to play in the World B Free Classic. Cruz was a feel good bright spot after the Uribe disaster and everyone else that played 3B going on the DL. The questions are really simple however, Did Cruz finally have a break-thru season or did he just get hot for a short-lived moment? The answer is, We better find out before we ditch the dude. The problem is The Dude is leaving town in the middle of his chance of letting the Dodgers “find out”. Cruz’s agent should be shot for not guiding his client to stay in ST.

These same thoughts float thru my head regarding Hanly and his SS issues. However, with Ramirez I believe his issues have to due with his ego and not his judgement (like Cruz choosing to leave during ST). Ramirez, I’m afraid may even wear out his welcome very quickly here in LA. Of course if he hits, he will always be welcome to the fans, ala Manny Ramirez.

The Dodgers have a lot of quality players to great players, however, the “ifs” that exist are of even greater importance and will have a much more significant say in the outcome of the season. Donny Baseball really has a tough road to hoe and he is really in his make or break season. Uribe, Ramirez and Cruz hold Donny’s baseballs in their hands and they just may rip them off.

I am also in the camp that Uribe’s contract will have no impact on what management does. The Dodgers Brass has already shown that money is the least of the concerns that they have, money is of no object, winning is the only object. I agree with Timmons, we should know very early if Uribe makes the squad. Uribe is either a starter or he is sent packing, he will not ride the bench.

Don’t forget Hairston, I will not be surprised one bit if he is the opening day starter at 3B. Now how long that lasts, I don’t know, but opening day could be a real possibility.

We don’t want to give Dee Gordon a chance to grow into the SS position and improve, as a 24 year old who’s showed flashes of stardom, but we’re willing to give Useless-ribe a chance because of what he did 5 years ago.

Amazing.

You give young kids a chance to play and grow and develop, not washed up fat vets, who despite being nice guys and well liked, have contributed less than zero to the team in 2 years.

We’re a much much better team with Gordon/Hanley, than we are with Hanley/Uribe.

19. quasimodo says:

Fans are strange creatures. In texas they boo’ed Hamilton, yeah Hamilton! Cardinals fanbase, with as much class as they have, have also been guilty of booing Stan Musial. While I haven’t heard any booing when Ethier’s name was announced, all the chat I’ve read to trade Ethier comes pretty close to booing. These guys did great things for their teams. Giants fans loved Uribe and mostly for his damage against dodgers so I’d say they still have affection for him-they even have a site called DODGERHATERS. We did get a couple HR’s out of Uribe last year and I cheered him when he did. But when his name was announced all I could feel was ‘oh noooo’. I didn’t feel that way when they announced Cruz. Rightly or wrongly if Uribe is our everyday 3rd base my heart will be saying ‘oh noooo’ I’ll gladly eat those words but I can’t find em on the menue

Well said roid.

And I have to agree with Bobby’s point, though 7 million might play into the formula. The Dodgers were prepared to go with Dee and a learning curve last year but the thumb stopped that plan. I have no idea what they are thinking now. Guess we’ll see soon enough.

It’s really not about the money with Uribe. If he’s released and plays for another team the Dodgers have to pay his entire contract minus a prorata share of MLB minimum, which is picked up by the other team. If the Dodgers can replace him with a relatively inexpensive, but modestly productive player, then they add the modest salary to whatever they must pay Uribe. In both cases, they’re spending about the same amount of money. The only way the Dodgers can save money on Uribe is to include him in a deal where the acquiring team is willing to pick up a piece of his current contract. If Uribe is packaged with someone else who may have some value to the acquiring team, then that team just might be willing to pick up a decent portion of Uribe’s contract. If for no other reason, I am guessing that the Dodgers will hold onto Uribe for as long as they believe they can get something back for him in a trade, even if that something is nothing more than money. I don’t think there’s a single legitimate baseball reason for the Dodgers to hold onto Uribe. The Dodgers may have a lot of money, but they’re also not in the business of giving that money away if there’s any way it can be helped.

Again, there are 7, no actually 8 million reasons (7 next year, and another 1 to be paid in in 2014) to hang on to Uribe. I think the money does play into it….. as in, we are paying him millions of dollars, might as well see what he brings to the table in Spring Training before cutting him. It seems ridiculous to me to assume he will stink again and cut him before we know anything. Then we are paying his salary while he has his Beltre career year with someone else.

I think at this moment in time, Uribe is worth nothing to anyone but the Dodgers. This is a pivotal point in his career. If he cares, he puts something into this. If he, at age 33, and having made over 30 million, is a happy fat cat, then his career is likely over. It certainly will be here no matter what, but I ask you guys, if he hits .270 with 15 home runs and 70 rib’s, what kind of contract do you think he makes next year? He has had a + dWAR every year of his career. All he needs to do is stop trying to jerk everything into the seats, and just square the ball up. Maybe McGwire can convince him that when you try to go back up the middle with the pitch, some of those line drives actually find gaps.

I have hope.

• Kevin says:

Can we please stop with this Uribe crap? If Uribe is in the opening day starting lineup then something went very wrong in Spring Training regarding injuries, etc.

Sorry but this guy just isn’t an everyday player anymore….in fact he hasn’t been an everyday player most of his career. Sure, he’s an above average defensive 3B but from what I saw Cruz is just as good (if not better) with the glove.

Disagree Kevin. If Uribe is in the starting lineup it means something went very right in Spring Training – Uribe came in ready to play.

If Uribe has a very good ST and opens at 3B, it will likely be a temporary situation. I guess it’s always possible for an old dog to learn some new tricks, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I think we’ve all seen players have great springs, only to see them fall to earth when the bell rings. A great spring can sometimes be a mirage, and fill us with unrealistic hope. But if Uribe has a hot spring, and opens at 3B, then hopefully the rest of this team is good enough to keep them competitive, and the Dodgers ultimately replace Uribe with someone in-house (can’t figure out who that might be) or acquire a player via trade or whatever.

I have little faith in Uribe’s ability to turn things around, but I’d be thrilled if he surprised me. In the end, this team has the resources to eat his contract, and to find a viable alternative. And, if Uribe has a horrible spring, I’m guessing that the Dodgers will be unwilling to carry him on the roster for very long into the season, if at all. I still think the Dodgers are keeping him around because there’s no immediate need to open a spot on the 40-man roster, and because of the remote possibility that they might be able to include him in a trade that gets them back a piece of his current remaining contract.

Yep. If he has a bad Spring – adios Juan.

33% chance. The odds are against him. But with Cruz showing nothing in winter ball AND being gone for a while, third is wide open.

23. KEN says:

In my opinion Ned still has a lot of work to do in order to balance the 40-man roster and create depth.

22 Pitchers – 4 not ready for MLB
    2 Catchers – 1 not ready for MLB
    10 IF – 2 not ready for MLB
    6 OF – 3 not ready for MLB

There are some stars but there is no depth at certain positions and excess players at other positions.

I give Ned a C for the off seaason until some trades are made that create a balanced team.

If McGuire can really convince the Dodger hitters to “pass the baton”, then maybe we won’t have to worry about 3B. Maybe Luis Cruz and/or Juan Uribe can actually learn to take some pitches. It sounds good. Let’s hope the Dodger players actually put it into practice.

25. Anonymous says:

Badger, finally found out what Gracie did; DUI last August, fired by the Snakes and sentenced to 4 months in jail today. Do you know why Sutton lost his job?
    Is this LADodger talk or Brooklyn Dodger talk?

26. RogerCraig says:

Why not Juan Uribe, he’s been up and down all his career. He’s due for an up year. It’s the law of averages. He’s still awful, on average, but he could be quite nice this year.

I am somewhat surprised, with all the money the new ownership has put into buying this team, the number of heavy contract they picked up from Boston, and other trades ——- that they still have 3b, C, and 4th outfielder in limbo, to see who comes out of Spring Training.

By catcher, I know they are committed to Ellis, but the backup slot is yet to be clear.
    3b is a puzzle.
    4th outfielder, also bench here — has questions.

So, Spring Training —- but this new Dodger ownership has some real holes here. I am just surprised that they have not covered themselves better.

Other teams will not roll over. And the many pitching match ups to come this season — will come down to those one or two runs . . . time to play ball.

Actually with Uribe it’s been more downs than ups. And sometimes the law of averages doesn’t apply. Or maybe its just taken opposing pitchers a bit more time to completely figure out how to exploit his weaknesses. Or maybe Uribe has become too stubborn to listen. If he consistently tried to hit the ball up the middle like Badger suggested, he might find that he’d make better and more frequent contact. But I’m not inside Uribe’s head, so for now I’ll let him and the Dodger coaches decide his value. They’re better qualified than me, and will ultimately make the decision that’s best for the Dodgers. One thing seems for certain, if Uribe doesn’t produce, he’s not long for this team.

LADodgerTalk is just fine with me.

Well Brooklyn I think we have all seen enough of Uribe to know he does a lot of things wrong at the plate. His pitch selection sucks and he tries to pull everything. Those two things alone will take you from .280 to .200. My guess is he just doesn’t listen or is to stubborn to change his ways. In 11 full seasons he has had 3 with an OPS+ over 100.

He is listed at 6′ 240. At 33 there are 3 blatantly obvious things he needs to do. The first one, get in shape, will be noticeable as soon as he shows up in ST. If he is still 240 pounds, stick a fork in him.

1. [...] Juan Uribe is a Good Guy Who Has Been Bad… Yeah, I know he’s been horrible as a Dodger, but he is a good guy, good teammate and well-liked by his peers.  That at least speaks to his character, but not his talent.  For the record, I am predicting a resurgence for Uribe this year and while he has been absolutely awful as a Dodger, [...]… [...]