Categorized | Mark Timmons, Press Releases

The Biggest Dodger News in 25 Years!

HALL OF FAMER SANDY KOUFAX TO RETURN TO DODGERS IN 2013 kershaw_koufax_2008st

Koufax will serve as Special Advisor to Dodgers’ Chairman Mark Walter. Koufax will attend a portion of Spring Training to work with Dodgers’ pitchers and consult with the team throughout the year.

“The Dodgers are thrilled to have Sandy back with the organization,” Dodgers’ President and CEO Stan Kasten said. “Sandy’s experience and perspective will be invaluable as we endeavor to do everything in our power to bring the city of Los Angeles a World Series champion.”

“For our young players and our veterans to be able to tap Sandy’s expertise and counsel during Spring Training and throughout the season will provide yet another tremendous resource in our efforts to strengthen our club,” said General Manager Ned Colletti.

“I’m delighted to be back with the Dodgers,” Koufax said. “I’m looking forward to spending time with the team during Spring Training and to contributing in any way I can  to help make the team a success for the fans of Los Angeles. Some of my most cherished memories came at Dodger Stadium.”

Koufax, the first major leaguer to pitch four no-hitters, including a perfect game, was the youngest player (age 36) and the first pitcher inducted into the Hall of Fame (1972) who had more strikeouts than innings pitched. In 12 major league seasons, he had a career record of 165-87, a 2.76 ERA, 2,396 strikeouts, 137 complete games and 40 shutouts.

From 1962-66, Koufax led the National League in earned run average and shutouts. He was the first pitcher to average fewer than seven hits allowed per nine innings pitched in his career (6.79) and to strike out more than nine batters (9.28) per nine innings. In his last 10 seasons, batters hit .203 against him with a .271 on-base percentage and a .315 slugging average.

Koufax was the MVP and Cy Young Award winner in 1963 and also won Cy Young awards in 1965 and ’66. He was a member of Dodgers’ world championship teams in 1955, ’59, ’63 and ’65, earning MVP honors in 1963 and ‘65. His postseason record was 4-3 with a 0.95 ERA. He was selected to seven consecutive All-Star games from 1961-66.

Baseball America just released their 2013 Dodger TOP 10 Prospects:

1. Hyun-Jin Ryu
  2. Yasiel Puig
  3. Corey Seager
  4. Joc Pederson
  5. Zach Lee
  6. Chris Reed
  7. Onelki Garcia
  8. Paco Rodriguez
  9. Matt MaGill
  10. Ross Stripling

70 Responses to “The Biggest Dodger News in 25 Years!”

1. RogerCraig says:

A very boring off-season just got a lot better. WOW!

I think the 7 billion dollar tv deal we signed with TWC will become bigger than all of this.

Hell, lets pencil Sandy into the 4th spot in the rotation. His autograph is worth $$$$$$. You can bet I’ll try like hell to get it in Arizona this year.

Anyone really surprised by this?

And the t.v. thing is kinda huge. Makes the 2 bil they paid for the team look reasonable. Now, put a winner on the field and watch the money roll in.

Lakers. Ouch.

Anyone interested in the Super Bowl this year? The Harbowl. I’m already bored with that.

Badger I agree. I am bored of the Har-Bowl talk. Also i am tired of the suddenly loved Ray Lewis story. Lewis can retire and go back to murdering people….. who cares.

Koufax is back? Heck yeah that is great news. Who’s roster spot does he take?

Who else is going to fan fest? I’ll be there! I’ll be the guy in blue. Come by and say hi…. :)

Took me a minute to realize what significnce 25 years was but damn it’s been a long long time, that’s 1/4 of a healthy lifetime since we won it all.
    I didn’t realize that Sandy had left but having him back onboard is certainly Great news.
    I’m a little concerned with Time Warner winning the rights, as to how it may effect my ability to view the broadcasts of future games. I am a remote viewer[Utah]with DirecTv and they still haven’t got on board with the Pac-12 network yet. These new startups may ask for an arm and a leg with TV service providers under no obligation to comply with their demands. I opted out of Dish Network when they lost AMC[Madmen].

• Glass Is Half Full says:

Michael…Here in California Time Warner is available on Direct TV…. hopefully you won’t have an issue…

7. quasimodo says:

@badger, Thanks for always being so polite. To answer you about football…..naw, no interest there. it’d take another broadway joe to get me into the hype. actually i find highschool football more watchable

8. KEN says:

Best news since 1988.

TV deal finally agreed to in principle
    Koufax finally back where he belongs
    Another Cuban player on the way? A SS that should be moved to 2B?

Best news since Oct 20, 1988:

Let me see if I can come up with anything huge since 1988:

1990 – Darryl Strawberry signs
    1993 – Mike Piazza sets all kinds of records, wins rookie of the year, and we knock SF out of the playoffs
    1995 – First time in the playoffs since 1988
    1997 – Fox purchases Dodgers (and we assume we’ll be rich)
    1998 – Dodgers trade Piazza stupidly
    1998 – Dodgers make Kevin Brown the first 100mil player
    2004 – Dodgers win first playoff game since 1988
    2008 – Mannywood goes ballistic
    2012 – Guggenheim Group buys Dodgers from McCourt

I must be missing some huge things ?

I didn’t know Koufax went anywhere. He seems to always show up whenever and wherever he wants.

Good list Bobby. I am sure there are some things that could be added but “not since ’88″ is enough.

I’ll take college football over the pros quas. But the high school game is pure.

I read it was -20 where I used to live in Wisconsin. Do not miss that.

Lakers. What an extreme disappointment. D’Antoni is swallowing the olive. Dump him.

Note to Phil Mickelson – you don’t want to play golf for a living then disappear. Go get a real job and try to find your way in a vanishing middle class.

12. HemmorhoidRage says:

Mickelson is smart, if you have the money and ability to move out of California, I’d advise it. Tiger moved decades ago for zero income taxes in Florida and yes, for the pussy as well.

California has insisted on driving businesses and individuals out of the state for years. So elections do indeed have rewards and consequences, local to national.

I want to see Sandy back in that Dodgers Jersey!

California did what they needed to do to get out of debt. The rest of the country should follow the example. The super rich have had it their way for many years. Time to pay your country back.

Koufax in a Dodger jersey? You’re joking right? He’s 77. He is a consultant and a great PR rep. He won’t be wearing a jersey.

• KEN says:

Better check yout facts again. California raised their non school budget expenses by the amount of the new taxes.

Oh, you are capitalized again. That must mean you are in serious mode.

Maybe I overtated my position. What it means to the state is they will not have to make the draconian cuts to programs they deem necessary to keep the state educated and running. They plan on using these revenues for the state budget.

“Increases taxes on earnings over $250,000 for seven years and sales taxes by ¼ cent for four years, to fund schools. Guarantees public safety realignment funding. Fiscal Impact: Increased state tax revenues through 2018–19, averaging about $6 billion annually over the next few years. Revenues available for funding state budget. In 2012–13, planned spending reductions, primarily to education programs, would not occur.”

It’s a good thing to actually pay your bills ken… or KEN – whatever.

By the way, Mickelson has issued an apology for his asinine statement.

If you want to see how to get out of debt and have a billion dollar surplus, ask Mitch Daniels… who by the way would have been a good choice for President, not that stiff Romney.

This Mitch Daniels?

“Daniels “carried water, as director of the Office of Management and Budget, for some of the Bush administration’s more egregious budgets [and...] made dubious public arguments in support of his boss’s agenda.” Daniels was responsible for estimating the cost of the invasion of Iraq, Operation Iraqi Freedom. The operation was estimated to last six months, and did not include a projection of the long-term cost of maintaining a military presence in the region after its immediate occupation. In 2002, Assistant to the President on Economic Policy Lawrence B. Lindsey estimated the cost at between $100–$200 billion, much higher than Daniels’ estimate. Daniels called Lindsey’s estimate “very, very high” and stated that the costs would be between $50–$60 billion. President Bush ultimately requested $75 billion to finance the operation during the fiscal year, and according to a 2010 Congressional Research Service report, the first fiscal year of the war cost $51 billion. The failure to provide long term cost estimates led opponents to claim that Daniels and the administration had suggested the entire war would cost less than $60 billion. The CBO has estimated the total cost of the war in Iraq to U.S. taxpayers will be around $1.9 trillion if it was carried on until 2017.”

Nice call Mitch. Indiana boy.

Nice try Mark. Just because he is from Indiana doesn’t make him the right choice.

If you want to follow a proven strategy for creating a surplus, look no further than Bill Clinton.

Hey, I didn’t bring this up. All I was commenting on was a stupid statement by a filthy rich athlete that plays golf for a living. He has since recanted and apologized for being publicly ignorant and insensitive.

Moving on here…………..

For those of you who don’t know how far off Daniels was in his estimate, just take a look at this:

What a f’n waste of money.

End it. Now.

Badger,

Daniels didn’t say what they said. There’s not one quote that says that and the cost of war is fraught with inaccuracies. We live in an information age when you can prove just about anything you want. Facts are easily manipulated. I do agree that Bill Clinton was the best President since Ronnie.

The Dems did not have their best gal running and the Reps didn’t have their best guy either.

We work almost half a year for the government. It will soon be more. That has to stop. Government is just too big. Left or Right – it has to be clear, isn’t it?

It’s time for a new party…

Those are the facts. I know the facts don’t matter to some, but you cannot ignore them and you cannot change them because they are inconvenient.

The right wing is done. The only chance they have is to rig the system, which they have successfully done in the gerrymandering of Congressional districts. Now Republican governors want to do that with the electoral college. Sad really. I say this to the conservatives – adapt or die.

Another party is a good idea but I won’t see it in my lifetime.

For the record, I want to throw a rope around spending. It begins with ending unnecessary wars. It’s the people’s money. Spend it on the people’s general welfare or go home.

Badger, I said back in 2003, when Bush started the 2 wars — create a War Tax of 1/2 of a percent. That would have paid for the war.

If the President, Congress, and the people want to go to war — it needs to be paid for. Well, they used the credit card instead.

So just what is 1/2 of a percent look like, on a $100 dinner out; on a new $50,000 car? Not much really. And we would not be in as much national debt as we were led into by the above people.

Badger,

You are probably right about the Right.

There are two types of people on the Left: (1) the takers; and (2) those who believe the takers should be supported, and I believe they currently make up the majority.

Mitt Romney was not politically correct when he talked about the 47%, but he was probably right. I am in favor of teaching a man to fish, not giving him a fish, because when you teach him, he becomes self-reliant. When you give him a fish, he will always rely on you. That’s where we are at in this country.

I speak as a person from whom the Government has taken everything (18 years ago I had nothing, no car, no house, no furniture and no money) and I never collected a dime, never got an unemployment check, my parents lived in a trailer, I never got an entitlement or a Pell Grant, no government aid and no food stamps.

I just worked my ass of to become one of the 1% and I am expected to support people who don’t want to work? I throw up in my mouth when I think about those worthless people.

How’s that?

I drive a 12 year old vehicle because I don’t want car payments. We live within our means and we help a lot of people. We have also created over 15 jobs for people the last 3 years that pay well above the average pay. It’s unusual that we don’t have someone living with us. The Government is horrible at that kind of stuff and yet we empower them to do it. It’s felony stupid – that’s what it is.

• Dave says:

Mark i appreciate that perspective for i to have felt some of the bumps and outrage or as i like to say the train has added 100 more cars and the incline has increased to 4% and theres only 2 engines upfront the corners and weight of that runaway train , its only a matter of time before she jumps track , how in the world do they get to up there credit line when its maxed out and bills arent paid . government is the enemy ! when weve had enough , and the trains scattered across every state in the union maybe will wake up and try to pay are debts ! but right now those that pay and businesses that take great risk and abuse in the regulotory extortion somethings gotta give ! GO BLUE PLAY BALL ! im ready for some real infusion to the soul not fantasy land economics !

• Dave says:

Also mark i drive mostly in town a 1985 pickup with 310,000 miles that runs like a top thats been paid for for years but the urge to buy new just doesnt make sense and i just dont haft to worry or bother with anything and she gets the job done and allows me to help in other areas , you think thats in the gov play book plzzzzzzz ! Go Blue theres handouts and handshakes ! what role is the gov instilling in are future ? Son if you can make a living throwing a baseball by all means find the gears within work hard , work hard , find another gear and repeat ! thought you might like that one !

• Bubba says:

Bullshit. It’s just bullshit this notion of the left being “takers”. You may know baseball, but you pretty much know nothing about policy

• Dave says:

you see bubbha the game is pure the constitution is pure policy is ones wants to there needs follow the declaration throw strikes hit the ball keep it simple viral nonsense is the new policy ! pay are damn debts keep it simple respect the structure that works and enjoy the purity that is baseball ! if it stays at 60′ 6″ it works play ball but the dimensions in washington keep changing thats whats wrong with policy ! from the left enjoy the game !

• Dave says:

Sandy is a infusion of purity of what is the game back to basics a no nonsense simple perspective his results spoke volumes old school thoughts keep it true id sure like to see more of that infused and understood in many areas ! you see sandy is not bullshit !

Good idea Roger. If the country had to pay for the wars instead of the government borrowing the money (the right’s idea of financing) these wars were less likely to have been so popular.

Mark I get your perspective but I think by pigeon holing so many people you are missing a valuable point. Not EVERYONE on the left believe in giving money away to those who don’t deserve it. These are safety nets that keep millions of people from living under bridges. Entitlement programs are called that because people who get that money are ENTITLED to it. They are entitled to it because they paid for it! Social Security is paid for by the people. Medicare is paid for by the people. When they need it, THANK GOD it is there! Unemployment is paid for by unemployment insurance, that all of us pay for when we are working. It is INSURANCE!

I agree that there are people who do nothing and get paid for it. Not many, but they are out there. I have said for years that if you collect welfare you should have to do something for it. I could put together that plan in two days.

My whole point, and you have heard it for years, is that these unfunded unfounded unnecessary wars were going to bankrupt this country and I was right. You take that money and turn it inside and we do not have as many problems as we do. I told you years ago that overturning Glass-Steagall was a very bad idea and I told you then what would happen and it did.

Government is not the enemy. That is a horribly misguided concept. Our founding fathers set it up so that the government would be of the people by the people for the people and it has turned into policies of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations. Citizens United ruling!? Are you freaking kidding me? Dumb. Really really dumb.

Taxes. I say again, it is the people’s money. Use it for the people’s general welfare, the way the father’s intended. Other countries do it and their standard of living is higher than ours. Good public schools, superior infrastructures, sound energy policies and protected borders. Running all over the planet pretending to bring democracy to all those country’s that don’t give a damn about our system has turned out to be a very bad idea. You take a bat to beehive and what do you think is going to happen? Leave them alone. Let them figure their own primitive shit out. Those people are only a few months out of living in tents and have been warring with each other for centuries. We had boots on their ground for years, and now we are droning the living crap out of wedding parties, killing hundreds of innocent women and children in an effort to get one stupid s.o.b. terrorist. The ripple effect of hatred over this policy will last for decades.

We are not that far apart in our beliefs Mark. We are both Americans that want what is best for America. We just need to come together on what that is.

And one last thing about Daniels. He is a conservative from a conservative state. Your state voted for that “stiff” Romney (your word). I get that. I read in NY Times article, and a piece in Truthout, that he ended collective bargaining, lost track of $556 million and balanced his budget with 2 billion dollars of federal money after bitching about federal spending for years. He was only in OMB til 2003 but those figures I posted were correct. They did not plan past 6 months in Iraq. Do you believe that? Talk about mismanagement. But, you could be right. He might have been a better candidate than Romney. I submit to you it wouldn’t have mattered. The people, the majority, are behind Obama. I know that frosts your toasties but it’s another fact you must deal with.

24. HemmorhoidRage says:

The FACTS are typically whatever the believer wants them to be.

I have to admit, many in hear show their ignorance in an ever increasing way with each post they make. Quit while you’re behind, you are making an ass out of yourself and the rest of the Kool-Aid bunch.

And some express their ignorance by not knowing how to spell “here”.

Open your mind hemorrhoid. You might actually learn something.

26. Pete M. says:

Anyone want to talk about about Sandy??? Had the opportunity to see him and Big ‘D’ toe the rubber…Awsome, with Sandy possesing a ‘radio ball’ and big ‘D’ just freeking scary with that delivery. My God, these batting glove rituals and hand up to the umpire would have taken Don over the edge…Call 911…He still roams Camelback and Chavez they say…

Pete,

I have told this story before, but back around 1986, I was at Vero Beach and there was a buzzz among the writers and hardcore fans that Sandy was getting up early and pitching on one of the back diamonds. They said that he was hitting 90 on the gun. He was 50 years old! I got up at 5:30 and went to Dodgertown. I parked along the old dirt road that led to the back diamond and arrived to see several other people there and Sandy and his catcher walking away… obviously not wanting publicity.

I have walked that hallowed ground many times since and heard the voices of the ghosts of Jackie, Walter, Roy, Gil, Pee Wee, Jim, Don and all the others. What a place…

I still miss it. There will never be another place like it. :(

• Voldomer says:

Speaking of Vero Beach, does anyone know if Peter O’Malley kept his stake in the place after his family purchased the Padres?

I know it will never happen, but I would love to wake up some morning to the news that the Dodgers have sold their stake in Glendale so they can return to a revitalized Vero Beach. That is impractical on numerous levels, but it would be consistent with the new desire to reconnect with the team’s history.

I went there once, but the team had just left. Got a bat while I was there. Still sits in my living room and I swing it now and then.

Sandy story? I have told mine before. I was at a game he and Bob Gibson were going at it. Don’t remember the year, but it was 0-0 and Tommy Davis won it in the bottom of the 9th with a home run. I was also at the 1959 World Series game he lost 1-0. Joe DiMaggio was sitting right behind me, and Nat King Cole was sitting right in front of me. My uncle was dating Millie Hearst at the time and he got the tickets. 8th row, right in front of the on deck circle behind the Dodger dugout. What a day. I saw Sandy pitch probably about 6 times over the years. Sat right behind home plate once and you could hear the ball spinning from there. Sounded like a 5 pound bee doing 100 miles per hour. It was amazing what he could do with a baseball.

I had more fun reading about Sandy Koufax than some political opinions.

Let’s get back to baseball, and if we all need to vent politically or religiously or culturally, we can create another blog site. (by we I mean somebody else as I don’t know how to create a blog)

31. HemmorhoidRage says:

Badger you should take your own advice, you may learn something. Your unwavering allegiance is shameful.

By the way, I was not addressing anyone in particular, but if the ignorance fits then you wear it, and you wear it well.

BTW, having Sandy wear a Dodgers jersey has nothing to do with him playing on the field. You not very intelligent, just a mouth shooting off empty rounds.

32. KEN says:

“Entitlement programs are called that because people who get that money are ENTITLED to it.”

That is the most idiotic thing that you have ever said. They are called Entitlement Programs because (1) the Supreme Court changed Privileges to Rights in 1963/1964, (2) the Republications are unprincipled dickless intellectual midgets who are always on the defense and allow the Democrats/Socialists to spin their cult like grammatical distortions, in the Leftist media (CBS finally admitted same), and (3) the Republicans care more about keeping their jobs than explaining how government and entitlement programs actually work.

Only the rich have paid for their entitlements and the LEFT wants to means test their Entitlements so that they receive little to nothing. You would be fired in the first hour if you took a job as an actuary. The so called entitlement programs are the biggest Transfer Payment system in the history of the WORLD!

Look at the Social Security Statement that you can’t receive any more even if you ask for one and you will see what percentage of your Social Security Benefit that you actually paid for.

Learn the facts and apply some actuarial science before making any more of these stupid statements.

They are not Entitlements they are partial Entitlements plus massive transfer payments depending upon how little a person paid into the system.

Medicare is an even worse transfer payment system and an Obomination of actuarial science. People receive millions of dollars of benefits that have no relationship to what a person paid into the Medicare Trust Fund. A 64 year old person, with full medical benefits through he Mexico teacher’s retirement system can become a US Citizen, work one year at a minimum wage job and receive the same Medicare Benefit as a 1%. Now that is a real ENTITLEMEMT that we all should support. Yea Right!

33. Gonzo says:

Don’t take the bait Badger. It’s like beating a dead horse. Everyone knows that Sandy being back has nothing to do with him on the field. It is more publicity than anything else since I don’t expect Sandy’s presence to make Harang or Capuano better pitchers. Studs like Kershaw and Greinke can pick up some pointers from him, but Sandy is more of a feel good story for me. The Dodgers are coming full circle and bringing back the studs of yesteryear.

I met Cecil Fielder a few weeks ago at a tournament and he is employed by the Yanks. Not that he is a legend, but apparently if you help them win a WS they take care of you in some capacity.

As for the politics part, both parties suck. The truth is always somewhere in the middle. There are good people on both sides, but their stupid allegiance to their party is what prohibits this country from moving forward. For our sake and that of our children and grandchildren I hope these people that we have entrusted will one day put our well being instead of lining their pockets until the burst.

34. Jae says:

HemmorhoidRage sounds a lot like the Original Dodgerman off his meds.

“HemmorhoidRage sounds a lot like the Original Dodgerman off his meds.”

That is hilarious Jae. And right on the money.

You and Gonzo are correct… those guys will never understand. They have swallowed the right wing cracker kool-aid. Thank the universe that backward thinking is in the minority. Lean forward and progress into the future. Wage peace for a change and see how that effects everyone on the planet. Both parties do suck Gonzo. The Dems won, show some stones push back on that cement head bass ackwards thinking. Put the Bush bullshit years in the rear view mirror and implement progressive policies. If they don’t work, then go the other way in ’16. I think we all know they do work. Just like they did in the Clinton years. And that is what the right fears most.

Sandy back is a PR move, but a good one. In uniform? Ha. That’s funny.

It’s winter. We got little else to talk about. I do see that the dbacks got themselves a new quarterback. Thought Pennington was retired.

35. Pete M. says:

Mark you’re not alone…2008, my wife and I started my pilgrimage to Vero Beach. We made stops in Texas (Alamo and Dealey Plaza),Miss., LA (New Orleans and Lake Charles)all of which you gain 2-3 lbs. just reading the menus. Jacksonville to check out the AA stadium and the Vero.

We met up with my best bud Spider who as kids waited at the top of the tunnel at the Coliseum for the players to leave under the watchful and patient eye of my Father.

My wife couldn’t understand, but this was Mecca and it being the last year before AZ made it even that more special. Spider and I talked non stop for the next several days during games about not the current Dogers, but who had roamed this complex in the past. Yep it was Mecca for me.

• Mark_Timmons says:

I was there then too.

I was also there for the last game, when Tommy told them to root for the Dodgers or they wouldn\’t get into heaven and Carl Erskine played the National Anthem on his harmonica.

I get chills thinking about it! I am going to go back and walk the grounds one last time this spring…

36. Idahoal says:

Leave politics out. Badger, you started this with your comment about Phil Mickelson. That has nothing to do with the Dodgers. If you guys want to talk politics then go some place else. Talking politics is like fighting with a skunk. Both of you are going to come out smelling like crap and the skunk does not care how he smells.

Phil Mickelson is an athlete. It was about sports. I was talking about an athlete that made a bone headed comment. The rest of you guys took it someplace else. Am I the only one who thought he was being ridiculous? Evidently not, as he made a public apology for his idiocy. Now we can’t even talk about other sports? Just the Dodgers? Nothing is happening with the Dodgers. Even Mark has nothing to say for day.

man, some of you guys got your pantyhose on just a bit tight.

Maybe with all the money Mark is making advertising on this site, he can both an edit capability and an ignore button.

38. Pete M. says:

Is this how Attica started??? Chicago Riots 1968???
    And who in the hell is going to lead off??? It will be quite interesting at Camelback with the boyz gone to the WBC, what line ups Donnie B. will concoct!?!? Refusing his contract extension will definetely add a little drama going into the season.
    I sorta think he’s done preety well with the cards he’s been dealt the last couple years!!! Thats just me though…
    I suppose B.J. Upton’s contract shouts loudly ‘Put up or Shut up’…
    He’ll do well I’m thinking…

39. gionfriddo says:

Read Michelson’s response again and read between the lines.. to paraphrase, Lefty basically said next time he would keep personal matters (getting screwed in state taxes; I’m a resident of this handout state so I can say that) to himself— TRANSLATION= several of his sponsors told him to ratchet down the rhetoric a notch.. There was NOT an apology or mea culpa in his press release. Tiger left Cali for Florida in ’96 for the same damn reason; he just didn’t broadcast it like Lefty..

Idiocy on Lefty’s part?? That depends on how you view certain topics..fact is, Lefty probably paid over 20 mill in fed & state taxes last year. Idiocy? I would say that’s doing your part as an American tax payer and call it a day…

That’s not baseball friddo. That’s golf and that’s a political statement.

And for the record, these guys have residences all over the planet. The address they use to cheat Uncle Sam is Florida or the Cayman Islands….. (and why are’t you guys on the right screaming about that? oh yeah, you have addresses there too) Tiger Woods is a California guy. I know, he went to the same high school I did, went to college at Stanford, has a multi million dollar condo in Corona Del Mar and a couple other places up north… Carmel I believe…..

and have you ever seen his spread in Hawaii?

California, where the country ends and life for the explorer begins – a border land where the continent meets the sea, where cultures and subcultures touch, collide, ignite and move all directions at the same time. Here there is wonder, the open mind, the wild heart, the good laugh, the mixed company, the amiable companion, the free spirit, the stalwart lover and diversified human souls in communion. California welcomes the courageous and the lover of adventure and chases off the weak of spirit. California is not for the feint of heart. If you seek your daddy – stay home. If you seek the brightest weather, silver firs and silver water, glorious skies, morning sunbeams pouring through bright green pines, the alpine glow of sunsets on tireless mountains and the peaceful warm sunsets over glorious beaches, then California should be your destination. California is where you come to make things in your life work. It is the geography of hope.

Or, you can live someplace that has temperatures of -20 today. Your choice.

The dumbness on his part was obviously the comment itself, not the fact he pays a lot of taxes. Part of getting paid what he does is his “image”. Doesn’t look good to act like a prima donna who complains about how much he has to pay in taxes. Who wouldn’t trade tax brackets with him.

And why in the hell does that need to be explained?

• Gionfriddo says:

Badger, yes it is golf and not baseball..Political statement? you damn straight that’s what it was. Don’t need to be spun any further either.. It’s simply a difference of opinion from my perspective.

With all the wishes of “Can McGwire help Andre Ethier hit lefties and be more consistent”, why can’t Big Mac also help Dee Gordon get on base better??

Clearly we’re a better team with a productive Dee leading off at SS and a TEAM PLAYER Hanley batting 5th at 3b.

I’d put up with Dee’s growing pains at SS if he still was productive offensively.

41. quasimodo says:

Its pretty likely McGwire will help whoever get onbase more often. I’m a bigger fan of Mark the coach than of Mark the player. what he has smokin in his pipe is his knowledge of pitchers and their habits. Can be certain we’ll see alot more walks and less bad pitches swung at. Spring training will put us in a better viewing seat of who should be at shortstop

I liked McGwire right away. Out of Southern Cal and 49 home runs as a rookie. Didn’t like him as much when beefed up. Like him fine now n

To answer who is leading off I’ll be the first to say nobody. They are going to start the game with the number two hitter.

43. Idahoal says:

I agree with you Bobby. I think Dee Gordon is a better shortstop any day than Ramirez.

44. quasimodo says:

Hey Badger, we do have a good leadoff in the form of A.J. Ellis. At least its something that should be considered. Its really fun when gordon gets in 1st. but sadly his appearence at bat results too often as an out. A.J. doesn’t have the speed but i think our chances him being advanced outweigh a chance of him clogging the bases. But I’m not an insider and I can’t figure where my bullshit ends or begains.

Personally quas, I like him in the 8 hole. Get on base, get moved over, then the top of the lineup comes up. I don’t think he has the speed necessary to be in front of Crawford and Kemp.

But that’s just me.

Scott Elbert out to begin the season, and for all we know, a lot longer. Guess this could open a door for Paco Rodriguez, or any lefthander who impresses in ST. Or maybe it could lead to the Dodgers seeking a lefthander from elsewhere. Or maybe Capuano isn’t traded and considered for a spot in the pen. Or maybe none of the above, and we just wait to see what develops.

Personally, I think Hanley has reached the state in his career where he’s best suited to play 3B. And if he’s really bad Hanley, then I’m guessing he won’t be with this team past his current contract (which expires after next year), or maybe is gone sooner. With the new TV deal about to get put in place, I’m guessing that the Dodgers have or can create all kinds of options, and will not allow a player to force the issue. At some point, Hanley will either make peace with the fact that he’s no longer best suited to play short, or he won’t be playing in LA.

I’m not so wedded to Gordon that I think he has to be the alternative at short. He could even end up at 2B. Or he could end up elsewhere. But of this I am certain. Hanley Ramirez is the wrong choice for short, and a potentially long term answer at 3B. Good Hanley? Bad Hanley? I’m not convinced that that’s even an issue. However, if it is, I doubt if the Dodgers will buy into it if they have other alternatives that they believe in. Ownership is way to smart, and in possession of way to many resources to be forced to accept any unreasonable demands by any player. But don’t expect any signals from the Dodgers. Management will go about its business, and let us know what they’re thinking after the fact. Hanley may open the season at short, but I suspect he won’t finish it there. And if he wants a contract beyond 2014, he had better start thinking seriously about moving over the 3B.

Sound reasoning as far as I can see Brooklyn.

But, as has been stated a few times this winter, looks like Hanley is the shortstop on this team. Hopefully, he sees he belongs elsewhere, but the Major League ego is large with little depth. He thinks a lot of himself, and he thinks he belongs as shortstop. Showing him film of himself probably will only illicit a “man, I look good out there don’t I” from the man.

Maybe he is the guy we trade at the deadline. Who knows how this will shake out but I agree he does not belong at short.

Interesting part is that Hanley might be hard to trade as a shortstop. And that’s my reasoning regarding any contract he gets after 2014. If not now, certainly by that time Hanley will be viewed by the Dodgers and any other team that might be interested in his services, as a third baseman. Definitely not a shortstop, at least not a very good defensive one. Maybe he could play 2B. Whatever the case, sooner or later Hanley (ego, or no ego) is going to have to come to grips with how he’s viewed by big league teams. Like it or not, he’s going to have to speak with himself honestly (not an easy thing to do), and realize that he’s outgrown short. And if he’s unable to face reality, and swallow some pride, he might find any interest in his services vastly diminished.

Excellent point.

His agent might be able to talk some sense into him during his contract year. That would be 2014 when he is earning $16 MILLYUN dollars. If he is smart, and he isn’t but his agent is, he will learn 3b sometime between now and then.

47. Attorneys says:

Merely wish to say your own post is as astounding. The actual lucidity inside your publish is just excellent and i could assume you’re a specialist on this subject. Nicely with your authorization let me to seize your feed to keep up to date along with future article. Many thanks a million as well as please carry on the actual rewarding function. Best wishes

48. 9999 The minimal specifics, this sort of as fabric bows or embroidery help them to present a particular evaluate of panache for the most normal each and every outfit. We ended up like “ok, it is easy to marry Harry!” May well she someday be Prince Harry’sthen? “Nah! No!”.

louis vuitton replica shoes men 2013 http://www.photosbykerrie.com/louis-vuitton-repli

49. 9999 The perform you’ve got undertaken has gotten you this considerably. These station reproduction handbags are often the clone for the genuine fantastic channel totes.

louboutin black friday sale http://www.boulevarddelamadeleine.com/louboutin-b

50. 9999 The show results you have done has gotten you this significantly. These station reproduction handbags tend to be the clone for the authentic elegant channel totes.

cheap cardinals jerseys http://www.brooksandbrooksfoundation.org/arizona-

51. 9999 The operate you have executed has gotten you this considerably. These station reproduction handbags are frequently the clone to the reliable outstanding channel totes.

discount basketball jerseys http://www.soloplus-music.com/discount-basketball

1. [...] The Biggest Dodger News in 25 Years! HALL OF FAMER SANDY KOUFAX TO RETURN TO DODGERS IN 2013 LOS ANGELES – Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax will return to the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2013, it was announced. Koufax will serve as Special Advisor to Dodgers’ Chairman Mark Walter. Koufax will attend a portion of Spring Training to work with Dodgers’ pitchers [...]… [...]