Baseball is Dead

Well, maybe not officially dead…. but it is dying because it is run and written about by a bunch of irrelevant, grumpy old-men, and nowhere is it more apparent than in the Hall-of-Fame voting or in the waning interest of young fans.

Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Gil Hodges and Pete Rose are not in the Hall-of-Fame, which is an absolute joke.

The greatest hitter of all time is not in the Hall-of-Fame.

The greatest hitting catcher of all time is not in the Hall-of-Fame.

The all time homerun leader is not in the Hall-of-Fame.

Three of the greatest first basemen of all time are not in the Hall-of-Fame.

One of the greatest pitchers of all time is not in the Hall-of-Fame.

Hall-of-Pretend.  That’s what it is.  The record books say that Pete Rose has the most hits of all time.  It says that Barry Bonds has the most HR of all time and that Big Mac and Sammy Sosa are elite HR hitters.  Let’s pretend they didn’t!

Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza were the best at their trade for a decade or more.  Let’s pretend that didn’t happen!

None are in the freaking Hall-of-Dull!

Well, Pete Rose bet on baseball and the rules are posted on every clubhouse wall.

Yeah, I’ve seen the arguments that irrelevant, grumpy old men like Faye Vincent make.

The signs in the clubhouse say that you will get kicked out of baseball if you bet.  Pete Rose has been kicked out.  They did what they said they would do.  He can’t go to games, he can’t work for a MLB team.  He can’t get paid.  He is kicked out of baseball.  What the hell does that have to do with the Hall-of-Fame?  The hall of fame is about recognizing the history of baseball and the best of the best.  Pete Rose was the best of the best but baseball won’t recognize it.  I’m not saying to let him back into baseball.  I’m just saying that his accomplishments need to be recorded in the Hall-of-Fame… and conclude with “after his playing career was over, he was banned from baseball for betting on the game.

Stats say he was the greatest hitter of all time, but it didn’t really happen because he is kicked out of baseball.  He’s not the greatest hitter.    He’ll never make it to the Hallo-of-Fame because a bunch of petty, bitter, small, narrow-minded,ugly old-men say that he doesn’t belong in the Hall-of-Fame.    Did betting after his playing career was over give him some kind of advantage?  IDIOTS!  Of course not!

Pete Rose is banned from baseball.  Why can’t the Hall-of-Fame recognize him for what he is:  the player with the most hits ever in the history of his sport?  They can’t because the sportswriters who vote are a bunch of self-absorbed, self-righteous, small-minded grumpy old men!

They want to uphold the sanctity of the game by failing to recognize and record what actually happened during the “Steroid Era” even though they knew what was happening.

… AND while we are talking about it – MLB was actually saved by steroids (after the strike when interest in the game was at an all-time low), but the the owners who knew what was going on, chose to ignore it for the sake of their pocketbooks.  The sportswriters all knew about it but were complicit in their silence.  Steroids were the fabric of baseball in the 80′ds and 90′s and maybe beyond.  Most players were doing it.  If you think that’s wrong, you are from another planet.  Of course they were.

I used to think about the time I would take my sons to Cooperstown.  Not anymore.  The Hall-of-Fame is irrelevant and stupid!

Why isn’t Gil Hodges in the Hall?  Steroids?  NO!  Betting?  NOPE!  Just stupid sportswriters.  If you want more proof how stupid and biased they are, just consider that Aaron Sele with a career record of 148 wins and 4.61 ERA got a vote for the Hall-of-Shame this year.  Aaron Freakin’ Sele!  How irrelevant baseball is becoming.  I am ashamed to be a fan.

FiscalCliff

65 Responses to “Baseball is Dead”

Well said Mark.

Very much agree with the grumpy old men part. Add delusional. They really think they are important when it comes to this issue. As you have pointed out, they are not. Those that can’t do it, write about it.

I have always felt Rose should be in. Hell, you can commit manslaughter or rape and not get life. Rose has paid for his crime. Let him in.

We all know what needs to be done. Change the voting pool and I mean change it NOW! Some writers should be included, including younger ones, some managers, HOF members for sure, some of those behind the scenes that actually run the game, even fan polls should be included. Hell without us, there is no professional baseball. I don’t know if what needs to be done will get done as long as that weasel Selig is running the show, but change is necessary.

I think most of the guys you mention above will eventually get in. Piazza, Bags and Maddux should be first vote inductees but some of those jerkwad old goat writers admitted they vote for nobody on the first vote. wtf? That’s ridiculous.

I don’t know about the * part of this, but I do know that I believe in telling the truth. On or near the plaque for these guys should be a written testimony to the steroid era, including the fact that MLB did not take the issue seriously at the time because, as history shows, what these players did on the field put a much needed butts in seats and a collective infusion of enthusiasm back in the game. In other words, the money was flowing so the eyes were closed. That is not the fault of the players, that is fault of those who run the game. Just another example of why regulatory agencies that will actually carry out policy are a necessary evil. If you do not have regulations, then this is what you get. And for the writers, and the public in general, to get all huffy and point fingers at the players is blatant hypocrisy. Everyone knew it was going and nobody did a freakin’ thing to stop it.

Let ‘em in.

Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame as a player and not as a manager. It should be two different categories. Nuff said.

Agree on the Hall being a joke and the writers all being on a power trip (like Congress), thinking they’re all that.

More importantly, good article on espn about top 25 players under 25 (which I can’t access), but also one about Kershaw vs. Strasburg:

Interesting, but at this point I would take Kershaw in a heartbeat. Hell I would Greinke over Strasburg too. Both Kershaw and Greinke have done it. Strasburg has pitched 251 innings and won only 21 games in his career. Not only that, he has weird looking ears.

4. ernest reyes says:

The writers have nothing to do with Pete Rose not being in the Hall. He is banned from from being on the ballot. As long as MLB has a ban he cannot have a plaque. Your beef is with MLB, not the writers when it comes to Pete Rose. Furthermore, he is in the museum portion of the Hall of Fame. There are displays there featuring him. My recollection is that there are quite a few. After all, you can’t ignore the Big Red Machine or his hit record. He just can have a plaque.

Good article on Bourn and why he’s not signed yet. Im not in love with him as many of you are, for the record.

6. Gonzo says:

Well said big guy. If politicians that get caught with their hands in the cookie jar (Marion Barry) and are still allowed to run for or hold an office, something is very wrong. I assume that if you caught one of your employees smoking weed at work he’d be gone. But does that justify him not ever letting working again at another place? Your analysis is right on the money.

I was disappointed that Piazza and Biggio didn’t get on the first ballot. Something needs to be done. I for one will boycott the hall until something changes.

7. Bobbie17 says:

How many of the commentators have been to Cooperstown? It is awe inspiring. The reason is that it DOES stand for something. It is and always will be the only legitimate Hall of Fame. Politics come into play, but in the long run it gets it right. No matter what you say, steroids were, in fact, against the law throughout the nineties. They were illegal. Period. Do a thousand wrongs make a right? It’s too bad that drugs were so pervasive during the time of these remarkable feats. Everyone involved was wrong, including the fans, who came back in droves. The Hall is above all of that. I hope it stays there and does not become another of our watered down institutions. Pete Rose is another story. What he did could have destroyed the game. Far worse than tilting the game with drugs. Pete and the druggies are not in the same Hall league. Pictures of him and the Big Red Machine are in the Hall. That’s all he gets. No plaque. Ever.

So ernest, you are saying Rose is already in the Hall of Fame?

I think the point is the HOF voting, however you slice it, is flawed.

Interesting read. I wonder what happens with Tolleson this year? Hard to ignore his 9.3 K/9 at the ML level. fangraphs has him at 52 IP, 10.73 K/9 and 2.94 ERA. That could be very valuable to somebody out there.

Interesting about Bourn. The guy wants $100 million. If I were his adviser, and I am not, I would ask him to lower that bar just a bit. Still, his 6.4 WAR at age 29 is hard to ignore. I suspect he has at least 5 good years in him. 5/75MM should be plenty for him. And front load the contract so he would be easier to move later if necessary. I like him. Unless something better comes along, I want him.

Gonzo, I submit to you that our political system is systemically polluted. Getting caught like Berry did is of course shameful, but ALL of them are bought and paid for by corporate interest. Look at what both parties were willing to spend:

from the NY TIMES:

“It was the first presidential election since the 2010 Supreme Court decision loosening restrictions on political spending (Citizens United), and the first in which both major-party candidates opted out of the campaign matching system that imposes spending limits in return for federal financing. And the overall cost of the campaign rose accordingly, with all candidates for federal office, their parties and their supportive “super PACs” spending more than $6 billion combined.”

And the biggest private spenders didn’t win. Imagine if they had?

Many (including me) have screaming for campaign finance reform for decades. We won’t see it. Not in my lifetime anyway. So we get the only gubmint money can buy – an overfed bloated embarrassment in need of a conscience.

9. Joseph Olivas says:

agree with every word

10. Gonzo says:

I get you Badger. Barry was the first person that popped into my head. I’ve been to the hall and I got chills when I walked into area with all the plaques, but the way players are voted in is archaic. I can live without Rose in the hall, but to deny Piazza and Biggio on the first ballot is insanity. I just don’t think that writers that are retired and not covering baseball anymore should get a vote. The world is different and some of the younger sports writers have a different take on things. Now don’t get me wrong not everything old is bad and everything new is good. The truth tends to be somewhere in the middle.

11. wrisp says:

For omitting Gil Hodges there is no excuse.

For Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio – well, maybe not first ballot, but eventually. That could be the thinking. (Not that I agree mind you, but it could be an argument.)

For the rest, I guess you will have to take issue with the requirements, because character and integrity are among them. If if were all sheer numbers, your argument would be air-tight. But the voting for the hall includes character and integrity. If those are dropped, all of these make it eventually, if not on the first ballot.

Of course we all know that spit-ballers are already there. and Ty Cobb was, by all accounts, a complete jerk. Many of the hall residents could be described as drunken lotharios. Can’t explain their by-passing the character and integrity requirements.

But for someone voting now, those are the requirements. Argue that those are silly requirements. Argue that they are subjective or irrelevant or unreasonable. But those are the requirements.

It is what it is.

12. ernest reyes says:

Yes, the museum portion of the Hall of Fame has displays with Rose in it. If memory serves right, there’s even a little bit about the Black Sox. After all, you can’t accurately express the importance of Babe Ruth’s rise without mentioning the impact the Black Sox scandal had on Baseball. Heck, tt is often argued that Ruth saved Baseball from the gambling scandal. Same can be said for McGwire and Sosa’s home run battle. I don’t specifically recall, but I would be surprised if there wasn’t a display celebrating the home run chase in the museum. Remember, it is called the Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum. They are two separate things. The Hall is for granting idolized status and the museum is about Baseball history. You could certainly deny a plaque, but it would be inappropriate to deny the history. This is something that folks always forget when Hall of Fame voting comes around.

Another commenter mentioned Gil Hodges, and I entirely agree that he should be in the Hall, but keep in mind that several special committees filled with Baseball peers (including Dodger players) have also rejected him.

I agree about Gil . . . needs to be in the Hall.

But so does Shoeless Joe Jackson.

14. jerry says:

i beleive that the people who run these thing..have there head so far up you no where…i was at the rock and roll hall of fame .4 yrs ago…and three dog night with 21 straight hit has not gotten in yet.. and yes base ball is the same.

15. gionfriddo says:

Bottom line, the system needs to be revamped to join us here in the 21st century..

Piazza– 397 HR as a backstop (427 career) is the most ever by a catcher–inexcusable for him to NOT be a 1st ballot HOF. The writers are not there to cast their own doubts & suspicions on guys like Piazza, Bagwell, etc..

Gil Hodges– I’ve heard my dad & uncles beat that drum for decades. Put him in..

Here’s one more ex-Dodger being given a raw deal– Maury Wills.. if Rizzuto is in Wills HAS to be put in.. .281, 2, 134 hits ( remember he was a rookie AT AGE 27)… 586 SB’S and led the NL in stolen bases SIX straight seasons.. he changed the game in the 60′s with his legs. Tell me why he’s not in?? Some older writers still holding Wills drug problems over his head (and old timers committee)?….

16. Gonzo says:

I know that Hodges and other old imers need to be in. But when a writer won’t give a vote because player X is on his first ballot it doesn’t make sense. If a guy deserves to be inducted on the first ballot vote him in.

“For the rest, I guess you will have to take issue with the requirements, because character and integrity are among them.”

So having Cap Anson in the Hall is ok? This guy is one of the original racists who has spun so many times in his grave since the demographics of the ballpayersis different nowadays. And the sad part is tat he is only one of many.

So when writers won’t vote in a player who never failed a drug test because he played during the steroid is BS.

Way back when . . . in them olden days . . . way back before African Americans were allowed into the major leagues . . . way way way, back –

The races were so divided, in neighborhoods, schools, buses, jobs — that was a way of life, and some folks just carried it farther than others. That does not make it right, but they were a product of those times.

It was hard when the change began in 1947. Heck, the Red Sox were the last to make the change in 1959 — or not for 12 years after Jackie.

I am not sure we can even begin to say that folks playing back in 1890, or 1920, or even in 1945 should have been leaders for civil rights. That was not their job. That was not a team’s job.

I wish that had not been the case or situation.

On Wills, he should be in if the Phil R. is in. Wills was something else. He held that Dodger team together. Go Wills Go.

But sometimes playing on a great team, a player becomes not just a player, but is dragged along with.

The opposite is true. Santo was rejected for years and years, because some of the voters and old-times committee felt they had enough Cubbies from that era of Cub players — for that team did not win. Remember the miracle Mets kept them out.

• gionfriddo says:

Agreed, Roger.. what they did to Santo was a crying shame.. the poor guy deserved the hall and wanted it badly til the diabetes took him.. then, sadly a year after he passes they elect him..

19. Gonzo says:

True Roger, they were a product of their time just like these players are products of theirs.

And baseball players have never been known to be model citizens.

I guess I don’t have that big a problem with the steroid era. I don’t like it but since the league turned a blind eye I just find it disingenuous to blame the players. Make them wait then slowly put them in. Make Bonds wait the longest.

20. Pete M. says:

I havent a problem with the 0 HOF tally.
    I’ve always felt a first ballot inductee should be/are very special folks. That being said, if Greg Maddux doesnt get in next year, what we have here is a problem.
    The on going Dre to ?, Kemp to RF and Bourn to CF !?!
    Has anybody asked Matt what his feeling are about the shift?? They all have feeling you know!?!
    Wills changed the game for the time he was there and Hodges not in is just not right…
    Some of the fan involvement at the Ravine/LAC still tickles the shit out of me… I can still hear ‘go’ chant for Wills…Everyone in the park including the pitcher knowing what was coming.
    Guns and Roses song ‘Welcome to the Jungle’ and the gate’s neon saying ‘Game Over’…
    Damn I luv baseball.

21. RoidRage says:

enough on the cheap shot ploitical ads, Badger. I believe you were the poster that told me that wasn’t good for this place or something like that. However ever since you posted that you have been on a roll. Please, leave it for your other places you visit, it just isn’t welcome here. Have some respect for the other posters in here and let us have some political sanctuary we have to deal with everywhere we look , please honor this request, thank you.

Cheap shots?

wtf are you talking about roid? You mean this:

“Hell, it’s still going on. All it took was the first black president and the old hatred comes to the surface.”

I think you just cheap shotted me!

There was reference to racism among older baseball players and how it was somehow a “sign of the time”. Sign of the time? Sure it was. All I am saying is racism still exists in this country and if that irritates your sensitivities I say tough shit. Mine was not a “political” statement as you suggest, it’s a statement of truth about how racism still plays in this country. Does it still play a part in why Bonds may not get in, but McGwire may? Who’s to say? But to tell me not to talk about it is not your call.

22. SpokaneBob says:

Roger, I applaud you for pointing out the fact that society and behavior needs to be viewed in the context of the times. Holding old time players to todays politicly correct standards does not make sense.

“All it took was the first black president and the old hatred comes to the surface.”

Badger, this is just plain BS. I know there are still racists in our society – of all colors. But calling racism when people disagree because of policy is wrong. If fact it is the left that tends to divide everyone into groups instead of bringing all of us together as Americans and judgeing individuals by the content of their character.

I am NOT talking about policy disagreements Bob. That’s a cop out and a discussion for another day. I am talking about the obvious and ugly racism head that popped up during and after the 2008 election. If you didn’t notice it it is only because you weren’t paying attention. There were thousands of voices screaming about a black man being elected president and how that in and of itself would bring this country down. Don’t try to tell me that racists only exist on the left side. That is idiotic and you know it. Racists are everywhere. And you don’t think the right pigeon holes people? BS.

I don’t want to talk politics in here. I know you and I disagree about it. That’s history. I don’t know what the f roid thinks about how our government runs things, I can guess now, but I really don’t give a shit. This started with people talking about blatant racist in HOF from years past, and the fact of the matter is, maybe especially with old white writers (just a guess) it still exists today.

You don’t believe that?

Back to baseball……..Scott Rolen anyone?

He might still have something left for coming off the bench. He could DH during the interleague and do a better job of backing up… whoever it is that will be playing third base.

Somebody asked a while back if Michael Morse could play third base. I just saw he was listed as a 1B SS – so yeah, I am sure he could play 3b.

The someone was me.

Well it’s not a bad idea Bill. Neither is Rolen. But, I think if he decides to do another year, Cincinnati will keep him.

25. SpokaneBob says:

I like to read your posts Badger, but it bothers me when you constantly insert a line or two that reflects your political opinion – right or wrong. There are still some racist and they exist in all groups, even progressives. You KNOW the left brands anyone who disagrees with the Presidents policies as racist. Maybe thats where you are hearing this stuff. In my personal life and in the media I read or listen to I do not hear or see this racism you are talking about with regard to Obama. We don’t need to talk about politics here. I like your thoughts on the Dodgers and we have alot of good stuff to look forward to. So can we just keep it to Baseball?

“You KNOW the left brands anyone who disagrees with the Presidents policies as racist.”

No I don’t. What makes you think I “know” that?

And, you don’t hear the racists talk because you don’t listen. It’s as simple as that.

“there was, and is still, a hard core of racially-motivated white people in this nation who did vote against Obama because he is black, and who virulently oppose him as president because he is black.”

Simple truth.

Yes, we can keep it to baseball. I thought I was. I was just making a comment on another comment that was made. I think maybe some people’s skin is just a little to thin when it comes to certain “issues”. No need to read into any comment more than what was actually said.

But if somebody comes directly after me like roid did, count on it, I will respond.

Again, back to baseball:

can somebody give me a good analysis of Dallas McPherson? I just read he has OPS’d around .900 for a few years at AAA, and has little ML experience. He is 32, is a 3b, is big, and bats left handed. He will be in camp. Can we expect anything out of this guy? Or is he another AVS?

27. Gonzo says:

Badger, I still think that having a moral clause to get inducted in the HOF is BS. By moral I mean PEDs, betting and other things done related to the game, not crimes against society.

Somebody said that 1st ballot is for someone that did special things in the game. Biggio GG at two positions and change positions mid career constitutes something special. The fact he decided to be loyal and stay in HOU shouldn’t be held against him. Piazza most HRs by a catcher while have a .300+ avg for his career is not special.

So if the writers say so it must be ok. Whats good for the goose…

Over the years, I believe that some writers do not want many first ballot, to bring players in. They must wait awhile.

Here is a list of first ballot HOF’ers.

First Ballot Inductees

Dennis Eckersley 2004
    Paul Molitor 2004
    Wade Boggs 2005
    Tony Gwynn 2007
    Cal Ripken, Jr. 2007
    Rickey Henderson 2009

There are over 240 players in the HOF, only these were on the first ballot. Looks like 44 made it the first time.

All deserving if you ask me.

This “no first ballot” thing is only coming fr a few of the older goats I would imagine. Obviously it hasn’t always been that way. Piazza and Maddux get my vote. Bags and Biggio deserve it as well.

I hear ya Gonzo. No disagreement here. Like I said, baseball players have never been model citizens. You start putting moral clauses in this game you may not have one.

29. RoidRage says:

Don’t try and change the issue, I was not just talking about your obama racism issue, don’t be that convenient. I am talking about your general cheap shots that you sprinkle in liberally every week or so.

I have made a simple and not ridiculous request, it is just a matter of respect for all in here. So let me quote you and hope you really mean it this time.

“Back to baseball……..Scott Rolen anyone?”

Have respect please for the others. We have enough of that in just about everything else we hear, see or read about. Just let this place be what it is supposed to be about: Dodgers and baseball.

Thanks, you don’t need to clarify or restate anything about my request, just please refrain and let’s us all enjoy each others company in here. Sincerely take this for a kind suggestion, not an insult,and request.

And yet nothing in your post remotely about baseball. Whatever. You are back to hemorrhoid.

• Michael says:

In the bear days of winter[or whatever the opposite of dog days of summer would be called] I just have to say that…
      I have been watching too much of “Ancient Aliens”
      Dallas, I believe was the 1st rd pick of the Los Angeles Wannebes that never really panned out, damn curveball; but it took Jose Batista a while so what the hell
      Colder than a witches tit, 6 degrees right now heading down to 3 below or so
      With no rooting interest, though I tend to dislike the Mannings and Mr. Harbaugh has some kind of offspring but that Denver-Baltimore playoff game has to rank up with the most entertaining I have ever seen.The Dolphins[Marino]/Chargers[Fouts] is still #1
      Be cool and do something nice for someone

I had no horse in that one Michael, but it sure seemed every break and every call went to the Ravens. Even had Dierdorf shaking his head.

Cold here to. Going to 22 tonight. Had to wrap a couple fruit trees.

• Bobby says:

No way. Denver got plenty of calls, and Deirdorf was clearly rooting for Manning.

I also could care less about either team; just seemed obvious that the NFL wanted Brady vs Manning

30. ken says:

Glad to see that so many agree with my posts over the last month re: Hodges. If he had not died at age 47 he would have gotten in as a player/manager. Why is an early death any different than an injury? See Koufax.

Badger – When I am plagiarizing (or borrowing) words from politics I rarely am talking about politics but trying to be humorous and sometimes just talking about analogies. You often go farther than me but you are going a lot less farther into politics that you used to so people in here really should lighten up on you. Keep up the sports posts and the light quasi-political statements.

A discussion regarding the morality of prejudices is rarely about politics however the solutions regarding curing or compensating for racism often are.

Agree. The discussion was about racism and the HOF. Of course their are racists enshrined. And some day there will be steroid users there as well.

I have no idea what a “cure” for racism would even look like. I thought by now we would be further than we are as a country, but we are where we are.

This is Umericah:

the winner of this year’s Darwin award…..

Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Plant on State Highway 38 early Monday. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock , were returning to Des Arc after a frog-catching trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole’s pickup truck headlights malfunctioned.

The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullets from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge .

After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the testicles. The vehicle swerved sharply right, exited the pavement, and struck a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to his testicles, which will never operate as intended.

Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. “Thank God we weren’t on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls off or we might be dead,” stated Wallis.

“I’ve been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can’t believe that those two would admit how this accident happened,” said Snyder.

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavonia (Poole’s wife) asked how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck? Though Poole and Wallis did not die as a result of their misadventure as normally required by Darwin Award Official Rules, it can be argued that Poole did in fact effectively remove himself from the gene pool.

So hemorrhoid won’t be offended by something non baseball, let me add that both of these guys probably played Little League Baseball.

I believe that most of the old guy in the HOF on the Veteran’s Committee — they do not want anything to do with players that might have used drugs of any kind.

So, if some of these modern sluggers and big butt pitchers under suspect — do not make it in the 15 years — and then are turned over to the Veteran’s Committee — they will not vote them in.

Well if that happens we won’t have any players going into the HOF for the period you mention. Personally I think it will take no more than 5 years of denials before many of those guys actually get in.

The facts kind of speak for themselves. From Juiced to Game of Shadows to the Mitchell report…. PED’s were a huge part of MLB for over a decade. MLB knew it was going on. What did they do about it? Not a helluva lot. If regulations don’t exist, or are ignored, then what you get is abject abuse. Look around. That truth is everywhere.

And this guy is on the money:

I guess I really don’t care one way or another about what the HOF does or does not decide to do. I don’t like how the voting system is set up, but, there are a lot of things I don’t like and that fact means nothing. Some people never change and some “things” are very slow to change. Even when need is staring you in the face, things just keep on keeping on.

32. RoidRage says:

Sorry it ain’t gonna work, you know and I know and everyone knows what this is about, I’ll leave it at that. If you can’t head a simple request, well that’s on you. Good one on the “hemorrhoid” line, classy.

33. Pete M. says:

Is it safe to go in here???
    Dallas McPherson, Dallas, Dallas… Your proverbial AAAA player..Drives one crazy!?! These types are found in every era.
    From my old PCL days and after Carlos Bernier, John Werhas and Bo Belinsky come to mind.(Bo loved the minors…no pressure…plenty of pool games and women to hustle and he was a patron saint of Oahu, Hawaii)..

Anybody watch Up With Chris Hayes this morning? One of the smartest shows on television. They discussed what we attempted to discuss here only none of them hid behind a screen of “political” bias.

David Gregory on Meet the Press this morning, in the last 5 minutes of the show, brought up the Hall of Fame, showed the page in the NY Times, that was blank . . .

And said – he thought it was time that the Veteran’s Committee voted in Steve Garvey, his favorite player of all time.

He did have a few very important hits in his career.

And Bill Maz. of the Pirates got in, not because he was a great 2nd baseman, but really because he hit a home run to beat the Yankees, as Yogi Berra looked up in Pittsburgh and watched the ball fly over the wall.

It is not that he has mounted big stats, but they are not shabby over 19 years of which the first 5 years he was not a full starter. Also, his last season with the Padres only had 76 ABs. So he had 13 full seasons (and one of those he played in only 100 games; injury?).

avg: .294
    RBIs: 1,308
    HRs: 272
    Slug ave: .446

Gil Hodges comparison:

avg: .273
    RBIs: 1,274
    HRs: 370
    Slug ave: .487

Hodges played his big years in the band box of Ebbets Field, check the field:

Left field pole – 348 ft
    Left-center field – 351 ft
    Deep left-center – 393 ft
    Deep right-center bleacher corner – 376 ft
    Deep right-center notch – 395 ft
    Right-center, scoreboard edges – 344 ft and 318 ft
    Right field pole – 297 ft
    Backstop – 71 ft

And Garvey had Dodger Stadium with the silly night air and deeper fences

Left field and right field foul poles: 330 (since 1962)
    Power alleys: 380 (1962), 370 (1969), 385 (1983)
    Center field: 410 (1962), 400 (1969), 395 (current)
    Backstop: 65 (1962), 68.19 (1963), 75 (1969)

And, I believe, there use to be much more foul territory there, than here is now.

So, is Steve Garvey a Hall of Famer, or just a nice career, from Mr. Clean.

Maz played in Forbes Field. Post those dimensions. He was also considered great with the glove.

Does position have anything to do with eligibility? Corner fielder vs middle infielder? Catcher or center fielder?

Shout out to Aaron Swartz. You don’t like that roid you can kiss my butt.

Zach Lee says he has “no regrets” about being overpaid by the Dodgers instead of playing both football and baseball at LSU.

Personally I would have gone the other way had I been him. Live like a king for about three years then make a choice which profession you want make $100 million playing.

But that’s just me.

• Kevin says:

Easy to say that in retrospect but imagine you are a 17 year old kid and get offered a $5M signing bonus to play baseball….that would be hard to pass up. Also, the risk of injury is pretty big playing football.

IMO you have to take the money.

And in most folks minds that is the choice. You ALWAYS take the money.

You may not buy this Kevin, but there are things more valuable than money. A college experience where he plays QB (not a lot of great qb’s in college have career ending injuries there) and in a couple of years you could very well have tripled your value. Russell Wilson is doing all right. So is Brandon Weeden.

But I get your point and respect it. Even if Lee never pitches an inning, he has more than most make in a lifetime.

37. gionfriddo says:

I loved Garvey; what a clutch hitter in late innings with the game on the line–that being said he is not a hall of famer. Some guys had outstanding careers but just fall short of making the cut– Garvey is not alone:
    Vada Pinson, Al Oliver, Jim Kaat ( 288 wins & he’s never getting in), Dale Murphy, Dwight Evans, Lou Whitaker, Dave Parker, Luis Tiant, & the list goes on and on…

The ’60 WS walkoff HR by Maz made him part of baseball lore, but Badger is right, Maz’s glovework is part of what made him a HOF.. plenty of 2b since Maz have been great with the glove but none havd been better @turning the DP than him. He was so quick that you couldn’t tell if the ball actually ever hit his glove as he turned two…

For those thinking Bagwell deserves admission, what do you say about Fred McGriff?? 493 HR (same as Gehrig & nearly 50 more than Bagwell) and the same amount of rbi as Bagwell (1,500 & change for both)… just a thought…

1. [...] Baseball is Dead Well, maybe not officially dead…. but it is dying because it is run by a bunch or irrelevant, grumpy old-men, and nowhere is it more apparent than in the Hall-of-Fame voting or in the waning interest of young fans. Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Gil Hodges [...]… [...]

2. [...] acquisition, plays through injury to win the first of his three World Series rings. more… Baseball is Dead – ladodgertalk.com 01/11/2013 Well, maybe not officially dead…. but it is dying because [...]

3. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]