What if the Dodgers are Done?

I mean “done… for now.”

By “done” I mean “done acquiring players.

Maybe it is good to be done, because it’s quite likely that any signing or trade would mean overpaying at this juncture.

But, if the Dodgers are indeed “done” then what can we expect?

I have been working on a “Best Case – Worst Case Scenario” and here it is.  If the season were to start today, I believe that Carl Crawford would be the leadoff hitter, even though he has not flourished there in the past.  I mean, what are the other choices?  Hanley?  I suppose, but his bat would be better lower in the order.  Here’s also a quick look at the best years and the worst years of the likely Dodger starters:

Player

Cruz  3B

.297 BA/.322 OB%/.753 OPS

.214 BA/.282 OB%/.511 OPS

Ellis  C

.270 BA/.373 OB%/.786 OPS

270 BA/.373 OB%/.786 OPS

If you look closely, you can see these players have put up some excellent years as well some pretty poor years.  That’s a concern.  Which players will show up next year?

• Carl Crawford with a .820 OPS would look awesome atop the Dodgers lineup.  The Carl Crawford who OPS’ed .694 wouldn’t.
  • Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Mark Ellis had another year where he OPS’ed .861 (better than Carl Crawford ever did), but what if his OPS was .634?  Ouch!
  • Adrian Gonzales is the most consistent – his best OPS was .904 and his worst was .806.  The .904 would be wonderful but .806 ain’t chopped liver.
  • Matt Kemp has OPS’ed .986 and .760.  Which one will the Dodgers get? I think I am sold on Matt… if he stays healthy.  That means he has to quit running through walls.
  • Andre Ethier has always been in the .800′s in OPS, with .885 being his best and he’s capable again.  Even though there is talk of trading him, his bat is solid and maybe Big Mac can help him a little with LH pitching.  I can’t imagine Seattle paying what it would take to get Ethier and his bat would die in Safeco.  Unless Seattle would give up Seager, I would say no, unless the Dodgers could trade Ethier for enough prospects to bundle them with Gordon, Pederson and others to get Chase Headley.
  • Hanley “Head Case” Ramirez is the conundrum.  He has OPS’ed .986 and also .712 -  he hasn’t been over .800 the past two years.  He can be the MVP or tank the season.  Yikes!!!  It’s best to keep him happy.  Ecstatic would be even better!
  • Luis Cruz had a .753 OPS last year, but when you look at how little he walks, you will realize that an OPS of .600 is a lot more likely.  He caught lightening in a bottle and it won’t happen again.  He is not a starter.  For the record, I like Alex Castellanos at 3B.
  • Can AJ Ellis keep up his .786 OPS?   He did it once – can he really do it again?

If you look at the starters “Best Year” it’s likely that team will win 100 games.  “Worst Year” is an entirely different team, likely struggling to win 80 games.  There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the 2013 Dodgers.  However, the pitching should be solid.  In fact, the Dodgers are allegedly looking at ex-Giant closer, Brian Wilson.  I guess you can’t have enough closers.

Starters?  The thing is:  the Dodgers don’t know who will be healthy:

• Is Kershaw really over his hip problem and what the heck was it anyway?
  • Is Billingsley healthy and if he is and slotted lower in the rotation, could he have a career year?  I could see that.
  • Is Lilly recovered and able to pitch?
  • Josh Beckett could really benefit from an aggressive conditioning program.  Running, especially, so that he can pitch deeper into games.  Will he pay the price to do it or just chug beer in the clubhouse?
  • I may have called Chris Capuano’s career year a year early.  A better training program could help him pitch deeper into games and deeper into the season.  I can see a monster year from him.  The Dodgers won’t give him away.
  • If everyone on the starting staff is healthy, then the Dodgers have two pitchers to trade, but I think they will wait until late Spring… unless presented with a solid deal to improve the team sooner.  You can never have enough starters.   Harang can also flourish out of the pen, in my opinion.

What if Chad Billingsley can duplicate 2008 when he went 16-10 with a 3.14 ERA and pitched 200 innings?  Kershaw and Greinke have both won the Cy Young Award,  and Josh Beckett has been an outstanding pitcher in the clutch.  We don’t know what Ryu can do, but the Dodgers think highly of him.  Due to the incentives in his contract, if he is not in the rotation, there will be grumblings – you can bet on that. If healthy, the Dodgers have eight pitchers who have shown they can pitch 200 innings, but there are significant injury questions.

The bullpen will be a strength again and I don’t see Ned having to sign another lefty with Elbert and Rodriguez already on the roster.  I think the Dodger will only keep one left-handed specialist anyway.  If the Dodgers end up signing Brian Wilson, can you imagine a bullpen of Belisario, Wilson, League, Jansen and Guerra?  Five former closers!!!  That’s almost 500 MPH combined!!!

Look, there are lots of reasons for Dodger fans to be optimistic.  This team could easily win 100 games.  But, if certain players don’t play to expectations (particularly Crawford and Ramirez), and pitchers are hurt, it could be a colossal quarter million dollar flop.  There is a lot riding on this season, including the managers job.   Anything less than a World Series win is a failure.  The horses are there in place – can they win the race?  That is the question.  It’s less than two months until pitchers and catchers report.

UPDATE:  THE BOSTON GLOBE rates the MLB rosters.  Despite having the highest payroll in baseball the Dodgers are only rated 6th.

82 Responses to “What if the Dodgers are Done?”

Some days (of late) I go over the possible (projected at this point) Dodger lineup of hitters and pitching rotation and pen guys . . . and say, how can they loose a game !!!

Then, other days, see problems all over these three areas of lineup, starters, and pen.

Mark has them basically above.

We tend to forget in the middle of the winter — of the the wear and tear of a season on the baseball body.

What we cannot forget, other teams will have their injuries and wear and tear on their rosters as well.

Right now, we fans see some weakness in several positions and keep talking about them. 3B, 2B, 4th outfielder, and a true leadoff guy. So we project trades with this team and that team. Giving up prospects, even starters here (Ethier for one) and try to be the GM online.

We all are giving confidence to the new ownership and their ability to fix this team. So we sit back and wait.

Update above

• bluetrain says:

Ryu has a mega deal! And it specifies he cant be sent down…
      I’ve read where the LAD braintrust wants to put him in the #3 spot, Kersh, Zack, Ryu..He cant be sent down..

6th is about right. What has to go into the rating is our team’s “if’s”.

I like our pitching and the strong possibility of picking up a player or two in ST or at the deadline.

I see the midgets are 14 to 1. And who was it that said they would favorites to win the West again? Doesn’t look like it.

We still have holes to fill. But I like our chances.

• ken says:

The top 2 teams just added impressive leadoff OFs. Too bad for the dodgers. They got Crawford who can’t really lead off and as you said before no other team wants, especially at his contracted price.

Ned’s dealing may be done for the winter but, as you correctly state, not for the year.

McQuire needs to be the person that helps players fill their own holes or proves that Ned must make a trade in mid-season.

4. Rob says:

You can bet on highs and lows from different players so I foresee 90 plus wins in 2013.

5. Idahoal says:

I like our chances with that team. Sure, not every player is going to have a career year next year. There will be struggles. It happens to every team every year. I would still move Gordon to 2nd base and let him lead off. He is better than most people think. Better yet, move Ramirez to 3rd and Gordon to shortstop. Gordon is a better defensive shortstop than Ramirez. It really bothers me that we have to put Ramirez at shortstop just to keep him happy. That tells me he is not a team player. I do not like players who think of themselves first and team second. You will never win with those kind of players on your team.

Go Colts.

It’s a risk, but I’ll take the over on 90 wins.

7. HawkeyeDodger says:

Capuano is known as a big workout guy so I think what you see is what you get. A six inning pitcher who might give you seven on a good day.

8. SpokaneBob says:

For those of you who collect Baseball books. I found a great buy at Barnes and Noble, in the bargin book section. They had multiple copies available and my have them in other locations as well. The book is called Yankee Colors – The Glory Years of the Mantle Era. A beautiful pictorial that cronicals every Yankee World Series from 1955 to 1964. Beside some great Yankee photos there are some pictures of prime opponents including a fantastic two page shot of Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, Gil Hodges and Pee Wee around the batting cage. I have never seen that photo or some of the others before now. Many other great color pictures of Aaron, Mathews, Sphan, Mays and other of the games greatest players.

I have long considered this era as the golden age of Baseball. Having these pictures far outweighs the $9.98 I paid for the book.

I take over 90 thank you.

9. Pete M. says:

Merry Christmas to all again and a safe and great New Years!!!
    If you do imbibe, think smart. CHP and local PD are as serious as a heart attack.
    Everything I read is good. Like many teams we have some holes on paper… Thank God it stays on paper and we have ST… With our possible pitching surplus we can hopefully be more the predator than the prey…
    Back from Vegas, humbled by the my bowl games bets. I’ve had better years to say the least. After the UCLA debacle, I knew I was in trouble…
    Oh well, some interesting stuff besides football…2013 WS winner odds posted. Tigers and Angles 5-1… LAD 6-1…Shocker (I think) NYY at 8-1…
    Roger D… A couple days ago I was referring to the Dodgers experiment with Steve Garvey at 3B…It truly was something to behold. This was in response to Dee G. at 3B proposal???
    Thanks for the Barnes & Noble update. Hopefully pick a few up for gifts during the upcoming year…

Well I just read on Baseball Trade Rumors website that the Marlins will listen for possible trades for Stanton. I can guarantee that if he’s available, the Dodger will be in on this.

Let me shadow Mark’s trade proposal:

To get Stanton from Miami, he will give them:

Ethier and pay 1/2 half his salary
    Punto
    Sellers
    Uribe
    Federowicz
    Wall
    Harang
    Fife
    Belisario
    and 12 dozen Dodger Dogs (uncooked)
    Chris Reed
    Matt Magill
    James Baldwin

That is 12 players and 144 Dogs, for Stanton.

12. Beckett_Rockett says:

Adrian Gonzalez’s best year was better than that: in 2011 season, he hit .338 avg, .957 OPS. and his WAR was career best 6.7. And if you put an emphasis on OPS, the better year was 2009. that year he hit .277 AVG, .958 OPS 40HR season. (6.6 WAR)

13. Beckett_Rockett says:

AND Hanley Ramirez’s best STAT as you mentioned is not correct either.
    his best season was 2009 : .342 AVG .954 OPS 7.1 WAR (by Baseball-reference.com). at that year, his dWAR was 0.9 (not minus!)

14. Jason says:

I think the Marlins would be silly to let him go but how awesome would it be to see Stanton in the middle of this lineup?!!

This would be a pretty sweet way to steal the thunder back from the Angels this winter!

What Jason said.

16. Bball says:

Jason and bill. We don’t have to steal the thunder back from the Angels. It was never gone. The angels are the mets and clippers of LA. No one and I mean no one will ever take the thunder from the dodgers. They are LAs team and will always be. Screw the angels. Go blue

17. Bball says:

But on Stanton. I’d tell them pick anyone other then kershaw and kemp. He would be a dream. Shoot I might even consider kemp. I feel bad for saying that

18. Joshua says:

There will be good options mid-season. Why not wait?

19. Pete M. says:

Signing Stanton is/will be the stuff movies are made from. I don’t think I have enough prize prospects and everyday personnell. Someone does and someone will…Back up the Brinks Truck..I never like to annoint players too soon, but Gioncarlo’s name will be thrown around baseball for years to come. He is one of those cats you pay to see…

So, Giancarlo Stanton allegedly wants out of Florida?

The Dodgers can make it happen right now and I have the deal to get it done.

The Dodgers send Yasiel Puig (Florida is sooooo close to Cuba), Dee Gordon, Chris Withrow, Joc Pederson, Steve Ames and Matt Magill to Florida for Giancarlo Stanton. Puig could be the equal of Stanton (maybe… someday, OK… NO) and the extra prospects are exactly what the Marlins want.

The Dodgers also could trade Ethier for 2 or 3 good prospects too. If they want Stanton, they can get him, but the price would be high.

Yesterday in church (during church) to keep my mind sharp, I started making a list from memory — of the 30 teams and in which division and so on. I then underlined the teams I thought would be in the post season: here are my picks on Dec 30 –

America League: Baltimore, Toronto, Detroit, L.A. Angels, Texas

National League: Washington, St. Louis, Cincinnati, L.A. Dodgers, S.F.

Billy, that is what came to me yesterday. Braves and Phillies, no. Boston and the Yankees, no.

It is just that Baltimore and Toronto are getting stronger and better, and some of those other teams in the east are getting weaker. In the NL, Washington, I believe, will win a lot of those close games next season, and the wild cards will come out of the west and central.

Just my opinion. Print the tickets.

23. Bobbie17 says:

The team will be as good as the starting pitching. Even Kershaw is now a ?. A bunch of .500 starters will make a below .500 team. I see health–now and later–as the big problem. That can be said of all the teams. Giants pitchers say healthy for some unknown reason. They are still the favorites regardless of the oddsmakers.

24. Gonzo says:

Merry Christmas and here is to a Happy New Year. MSTI says that talks between the Dodgers and Mariners regarding Ethier are heating up. Stanton….Sweet. Any news on jurrjens? Has he signed anywhere?

Happy Bday Ladies and Gentlemen!!

May 2013 be the year we finally see a damn World Series trophy!!!

Mark asks, are the Dodgers done?

Well, I think they will show up for Spring Training, then start the season, and after that — with so many questions on this team — who knows where they will finish.

If Mark means, are they through with the roster changes?

No, some will come and some will go. I expect Ethier to go, because two years ago I purchased his jersey, and all of other jerseys I purchased — those players were traded.

Purchasing jerseys became a bad idea years ago. Who was the last lifetime Dodger? Seriously, I don’t know who it was. This organization traded Mike Piazza.

Obviously the Dodgers are not “done”. I can see at least two more significant moves, maybe more.

I cannot believe it is Jan 2nd 2013 and we are still posting in the past, 2012. We need forward thoughts.

“It isn’t a real bowl game if it isn’t played in January”

Don’t know who said it but it is right on. Some of these bowl games were obviously for money only and were snoozers. Even the players knew it.

Time to become actively reductive with this issue.

29. RoidRage says:

Forget that Badger, a January Bowl does not make it any better, the Orange Bowl had a #12 team against a #15, that is f&*$ing ridiculous.

We’re #12, We’re #12, We’re #12!!!

Think I will puke now!

Good point.

But it was the Orange Bowl. Whoever decided on those two should be fired.

Stanton “wants out of Florida”? To be more precise Stanton wants what everybody wants – more money. If he could get that in Florida he would stay in Florida. Neither Florida teams will spend what it will take to keep him there. He will be leaving, it’s just a matter of time.

I do not know how all of the Bowl games work out their teams, but some get the 2nd or 3rd best team in a conference, or the 4th and 5th best team in a conference. Others, get left overs.

To bad they could not work out the Bowl games in order – a #1 bowl, #2 bowl, then fill out the teams by their order of finish for the year.

So if it is:

BCS Nat. Champ
    Rose
    Cotton
    Fiesta
    Sugar
    Orange
    Outback
    Capital One
    ETC.

then they could simply say #1 vs #2 go there and so on.

Standing: http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

But most Bowl committees have to pick by conferences, because they like to get some team that is close to home (where the Bowl is) to attract fans. Like it might be hard if at the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Florida — they got Kent State vs Oregon, or Toledo vs. Nevada.

I’m just saying . . .

It seems simple to me. There are only four bowl games in the “BCS” series. Those four are the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange. They alternate who gets 1 vs. 2. 3 through 8 should be matched up in the others.

If you are a BCS conference and do not have a team in the top 8, tough turf toe, you get one of the other fortyleven bowl games.

The whole thing is a joke. Why? Money of course.

32. RoidRage says:

Use the bowls on Jan 1 as the playoffs, only top four teams qualify. Bowls could be rotated on yearly basis, two bowls are playoff bowls (Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl one year or Fiesta and Whatever Bowl the next year), the other two are bowlshits, or comprised of teams not in the top four. A week later, the winner of the two playoff bowls meet for the Natl Championship in the Big Game Full of Bowl. Pretty simple and the season is not extended out any further than it is now to crown a champion.

Damn money grubbing whores, as if they don’t rake in enough already. Can’t they just get a true champion? Geez!

33. RoidRage says:

Use the bowls on Jan 1 as the playoffs, only top four teams qualify. Bowls could be rotated on yearly basis, two bowls are playoff bowls (Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl one year or Fiesta and Whatever Bowl the next year), the other two are bowlshites, or comprised of teams not in the top four. A week later, the winner of the two playoff bowls meet for the Natl Championship in the Big Game Full of Bowl. Pretty simple and the season is not extended out any further than it is now to crown a champion.

Good idea.

Worth repeating.

35. ken says:

Nice to see the annual list of dodger hopefuls who are being invited to the development camp has been published. Time for a new subject?

What subject? You mean Dodger prospects?

Yeah, sure. It’s always changing so, what’s the latest?

Still 10 points Pete. Just for the sake of argument….. if you had $1,000 and you were forced to pick a team….. who you got?

36. Pete M. says:

Badger, I got ND all the way, with the points…If I were a wealthy man I’d drop that grand in a NY minute…
    Subjects??? I said before USC’s bowl, but after watching that crapola, gotta scratch my bald pate on Lane Kiffin…
    LAD Winter Development Camp…Had to come to a screeching halt when I ran into the name Jeremy Moore on the invitee list…Ex Angel who I didbn’t know existed in our pipeline…

Who is Jeremy Moore?

A lot of head scratching going on about Kiffen. I guess he is great at recruiting, which is obviously important in the college game, but if he can’t coach ‘em up, that will end quickly. In fact, I read some commits are rethinking. A new defensive coordinator with attitude will help. So would a new offensive play caller. There was way too much talent on the field to end up 6 losses.

Mark must be really busy over this holiday season. Must be doing inventory or something.

I think it will be a closer game than a lot of folks do. But I still have to take Alabama and lay those points. Some of these bowl teams that were better teams just didn’t show up this year. I still think it’s because bowl games are just not that big a deal. Winning your conference title is more important. But this one is for the whole enchilada and Saban will have those guys ready. They are the better team with better athletes, so, I figure they win ~ 31-20.

I do hope I am wrong, and am not actually betting on the game.

37. RoidRage says:

I personally think it is a long shot to get any good bowl games to be very good at all. The lay-off of a month between games for most teams is a momentum and motivational killer. No one stays very sharp when a month break occurs at the end of a season. Just look at the NFL, when a team has a two week break between games can often kill a team, and we are talking about the best of the best. It can only be a bigger factor among college players, they are tired, burned out and looking to get drunk and laid during the holiday break instead of training with intensity and drive.

Can’t argue the rust and fatigue factor, but this is the reason these guys choose the schools they do – the big stage. It doesn’t get any bigger than this.

38. Josh says:

Boring week so far.

39. RoidRage says:

Yeah those Hornets play a mean basketball game, lol

I didn’t take the time to read all the posts but;

Vin went absolutely gaga over Stanton[me2]last season

Rooting for K-State but Oregon could beat the Jets

Born in Zutah and raised a good Mormon boy[well maybe not so good] but go Notre Dame

Badger, I don’t think Mark is over the shock of his new tax rates

• Mark_Timmons says:

Michael,

I\’m not sure how much more I will have to pay, but I can afford it. However, I have a lot of employees who make $30K to $50K a year who have to pay $1,200 to $1,800 more in taxes this year and it really hurts them.

Why are they paying more in taxes. You given them huge raises?

• ken says:

The kickbacks from the Social Security Trust Fund for votes worked and have now ended.

What??!! Kickbacks from our protected by law investments? NO WAY!! Are you telling me the obligations of trust guaranteed by Title III Section 201 of the the 1935 law have been violated? Are you saying the Office of Actuary has lied to the American people? Wait, what? This was approved?

Oh yeah… the payroll tax cut is expiring…..

I did read this this morning:

“But there will be federal tax hikes in 2013. That’s because the legislation pushed through the Senate and House on Jan. 1 does nothing to prevent a temporary cut in the Social Security payroll tax from expiring. That means, under the agreement brokered by the White House and Senate Republicans, 77 percent of American households will be forced to fork over higher federal taxes in 2013.

Households making between $40,000 and $50,000 will face an average tax increase of $579 in 2013, according to the Tax Policy Center’s analysis. Households making between $50,000 and $75,000 will face an average tax increase of $822.”

Now, a caveat here, that came from Fox News, and, they haven’t got much right in the last decade so this could be wrong.

Bloomberg said this:

“More than 80 percent of households with incomes between $50,000 and $200,000 would pay higher taxes. Among the households facing higher taxes, the average increase would be $1,635, the policy center said. A 2 percent payroll tax cut, enacted during the economic slowdown, is being allowed to expire as of yesterday.”

Depending on where you look, Mark’s employees federal taxes will go up about $50-100 a month. Some of them anyway. Bummer. There goes a couple weeks worth of lattes. Personally, if I knew the money was being spent for the people’s well being, I don’t mind paying an extra few dollars a month. Problem of course is, we don’t spend our money wisely at all. Our extra $100 a month just lights a cigar for some fat cat.

Speaking of fat cats, Mark asks the question “What if the Dodgers Are Done?” Let me ask a question “What if Mark is Done?” We haven’t seen a new post here since Sunday.

• ken says:

Good Fair and Balance presentation below! But how come there is no “Reply” allowed to your post? :)

You just did.

We need some Dodger news. I’ve had the flu so I haven’t perused any other sites looking for anything. Obviously nothing here so maybe we should create our own news.

“U.S. Water Systems included in Current TV deal. New name to be Al Jazeera H2O”

Pass the word.

Badger, most people complain about the national debt, but no one wants to pay anything to help bring it down. Not even going back to “old” tax standards of 30 or 40 years ago, when people paid their share.

What “some” folks are really after is to get rid of as much safety net as possible. From children’s programs/school assistance, mother’s programs, any kind of welfare assistance, disability assistance, etc. So if people die younger, in the streets, and live under bridges, that is their plight in life. Everyone has boot straps and should be able to pull their’s up. Ya’ right, like all people have equal education and chances in life.

That is why so many urban kids try sports, to get out of their situations, not by education but sports ability.

So if some laws change, and we all have to pay a bit more in taxes, we might hold our heads above water.

If one does not want to pay more in taxes — then do not start more wars.

I have known you a long time Roger and we agree on these issues. Remember these type of discussions we had about a decade ago? We were right then and the principles have not changed. It is disastrous policy that has driven us to where we are. We saw it coming and we were right. Now what? We have 50 people in Congress that have the power to stop all progress. Something terribly wrong with that.

Roger,
    If we have to hold our heads above water, lets just hope it’s been filtered by US WATER SYSTEMS. Go Dodgers

43. RoidRage says:

Ah the beauty of ignorance. Not pointing fingers or laughing at anyone, just saying, The beauty of ignorance or maybe simple ignorance.

Dodger talk. I do not think the Dodgers have enough as of yet, to win the West in the N.L. or go far in the post season as a wild card.

I’m just saying . . .

Holes, possible injuries to key players, and hopeful comebacks from average seasons last year.

In head to head completion with other players in baseball, the Dodgers do not win many positions. We would like to think they do, but not many.

45. Rob says:

Roger, chemistry and identity is huge with competing teams. With spring training around the corner a lot of these holes and team leaders will be spot lighted. This team has enough to win but they need to gel as a team and try not to press like after the Boston trade last year.

46. RoidRage says:

RD, there are many positions where the Dodgers do match up favorably with the other teams: Starting Pitching and bullpen are pretty favorable matchups, 1B is strong, SS is okay but not totally great matchup, all three OF positions (with Crawford back) are probably the best defensive outfield in the game and offensively look pretty strong as well, yeah I know Ethier is weak against lefties but lets have McGwire work with him and see if that doesn’t improve dramatically. So head to head the Dodgers at least on paper are pretty good in matchups with most teams in baseball. One more thing, I personally think Ellis at 2B is one of the better defensive 2B in the league, also Cruz at 3B is one of the better defensive 3B in the league.

So I guess I don’t agree with ya, RD, we actually look pretty strong top to bottom, at least on paper.

RR, lot’s of questions in the Dodger lineup right now.

We assume 1B has a slugger there. He will be 31 next season and he dropped in power this past season to 18 HRs. He had a weak opening with the Dodgers in my opinion. So we will see if he can turn it on again.

Hanley has really putts around hitting wise the last two seasons. His fielding at SS, at times last season, look shaky to me. So we will see if he can turn it on again.

Kemp was going great guns last season, then got hurt and hurt and hurt and . . . so we will see if he can turn it on again, and not have to sit out for getting hurt again.

Ethier (my man) is solid, plays solid, but cannot carry the team. He might even wind up in Seattle.

Left field we do not know. Crawford has a lot to prove? Is his hand ok. Is he in shape? Can he put it together again? Will he even be ready by 1 April?

Catching, is average with Ellis. Maybe he can get better. Backup for now is not a major leaguer.

That leaves 3b and 2b with questions. That leaves Dee and his questions.

Also, can Kershaw make the call 30-34 times next season or will that hip problem keep him out some or a lot?

Will Bills need surgery after all?

Jansen, heart concerns?

When I watch MLB Channel over the past month or two, and they show (repeat many times) the best plays of the past season, and the best at each position — very few Dodgers are even mentioned.

Right now Vegas lists the Dodgers as 17/2 to win the World Series in 2013. Another source there they are 12/1

Lots of time left, but if I am a D-Backs or Giant fan — I am not really that worried about the Dodgers until they light it up.

I find no beauty in ignorance. Only sadness. It just doesn’t have to be this way.

As for the Dodgers, it’s all iffy. Those guys we picked up from Boston were dumped quickly because they finished last. Personally, I think much of it was Valentine’s doing. But the facts are still the facts. Those guys lost a lot of games there, and didn’t really get much done here either. Hopefully with a few additions, and some time to work together, all those guys, including Hanley and his .250 avg., will put it all together. If not, then the deck will be re-shuffled.

• Roger Dodger says:

That is the hard reality Badger. The Dodgers gambled that it would all work out and get some strong games from Beckett, that he would indeed be a nice more senior starter in the rotation.

Also, that Gonzalez would continue his average, and re-fine the power. And in his first AB in Dodger Stadium, and hitting it out — we all thought he would lead us last year at the end.

I really hope Crawford can put his game together and be the guy he can be.

49. RoidRage says:

Every team is loaded with ifs, nothing is absolute, period. A fastball hits a batter on his hand and it breaks and he is lost for the season. A batter or fielder catches a spike and his season is over. So it is hard to have a if, if, if discussion. If my uncle had tits and a gash he’d be my uncle. So I guess I am out on this discussion if it is going to just be an if discussion. My feeling and observation is that we look pretty strong on paper and it will all play out on the field.

50. Rob says:

We solved our lefty bullpen issue by signing JP Howell. On the under stealing him away from the east coast clubs!

Rob, I agree. After this signing — the Dodgers cannot be stopped. This closes the loop.

I am optimistic as well. A new start for everybody. A start with the public embarrassment that was ownership gone is like the darkness has lifted for me. It’s been a while since we have seen Dodger fans this excited.

One more bat, and I would like to see it in the lead-off spot.

52. Pete M. says:

The signing of JP Howell is SWEET…I wanted Paco to get a shot, but at 20 he’ll be in the wings and active in Alb.
    Roid, luv your take. There’s not a team in MLB that doesn’t a hole here or there or could use some improvement. To me health is essential. Yep, were going get dings here and there but avoiding lengthy stints on the DL is key.
    My worry right now, what are we gonna do with our excess pitching??? There’s alot of SP’s still out there. The last week of ST could be very busy…
    One more thing, please pursue Thome. We need someone off the bench who could possibly bring some fear into the opposing late inn..pitcher.

53. HemmorhoidRage says:

After consideration, I have officially switched my handle, HemmorhoidRage is actually much funnier than RoidRage. RoidRage was just something for the moment with McQwire becoming batting coach. Some attempted to discredit my takes by coming up with what they thought would really bother me. In reality, to come up with HemmorhoidRage as a handle, not as a juvenile name calling attempt, is actually quite humorous. So for those that attempted to be funny, and failed, I thank you.

“May I always be a pain in the ass to some, but not all.” – HemmorhoidRage

1. [...] pitching staff from Bill James, whose projections are available on FanGraphs. more… What if the Dodgers are Done? – ladodgertalk.com 12/30/2012 I mean “done… for now.” By “done” [...]

2. [...] December 30, 2012, I wrote a blog called What If The Dodgers Are Done?  It may have appeared unlikely at the time, but subsequent to that time the Dodgers have merely [...]