With their deep pockets and having already displayed they will overpay, the Dodgers have changed Free Agency dramatically for the foreseeable future.
The biggest free agents know that if the Dodgers have any interest whatsoever in them, that they can use time to bid up their asking prices. If the Dodgers weren’t in it, Zach Greinke would probably be signed right about now. The same with Sanchez and Hamilton.
This could be good or bad , depending upon how you look at it. I tend to look at problems as “opportunities in drag.” As time marches on, if I were Ned, here is what I would do:
- Trade Andre Ethier for two top prospects and then package those prospects with Lee, Gordon and Pederson (throw in Capuano so they have a starter back) for James Sheilds. Who says the Dodgers don’t have enough to get it done?
- Sign Josh Hamilton for RF – 5 years/$120 million ought to get it done. There’s no more temptation in LA than anywhere else.
- Sign Anibel Sanchez - 5 years/$80 million is overpaying, but get it done.
- Trade for Skip Schumaker to platoon with Mark Ellis
- Screw Greinke and then beat him in the World Series.
- Screw Ryu!
- I’m done for now!
- Ramirez SS
- Ellis/Schumaker 2B (should produce .340+ OB%)
- Hamilton RF
- Kemp CF
- Gonzalez 1B
- Crawford LF
- Cruz/Hairston 3B
- Ellis C
Someone will get hurt, but if not trade for a 3B before the trade deadline… if needed. Do you have a better plan? If so, share it with us…
The Phillies sent Josh Lindblom and a minor leaguer to the Rangers for Michael Young. The Rangers are paying $10 million of his $16 million contract. He’s kind of old, but the Phils seem to have success with guys like that.