The Dodgers Have Changed It All

With their deep pockets and having already displayed they will overpay, the Dodgers have changed Free Agency  dramatically for the foreseeable future.

The biggest free agents know that if the Dodgers have any interest whatsoever in them, that they can use time to bid up their asking prices.  If the Dodgers weren’t in it, Zach Greinke would probably be signed right about now.  The same with Sanchez and Hamilton.

This could be good or bad , depending upon how you look at it.  I tend to look at problems as “opportunities in drag.”  As time marches on, if I were Ned, here is what I would do:

1. Trade Andre Ethier for two top prospects and then package those prospects with Lee, Gordon and Pederson (throw in Capuano so they have a starter back) for James Sheilds.  Who says the Dodgers don’t have enough to get it done?
  2. Sign Josh Hamilton for RF – 5 years/$120 million ought to get it done.  There’s no more temptation in LA than anywhere else.
  3. Sign Anibel Sanchez -  5 years/$80 million is overpaying, but get it done.
  4. Trade for Skip Schumaker to platoon with Mark Ellis
  5. Screw Greinke and then beat him in the World Series.
  6. Screw Ryu!
  7. I’m done for now!

Lineup:

1. Ramirez  SS
  2. Ellis/Schumaker  2B (should produce .340+ OB%)
  3. Hamilton  RF
  4. Kemp  CF
  5. Gonzalez  1B
  6. Crawford  LF
  7. Cruz/Hairston  3B
  8. Ellis  C

Rotation:

1. Kershaw
  2. Shields
  3. Sanchez
  4. Billingsley
  5. Lilly
  6. Beckett
  7. Harang

Someone will get hurt, but if not trade for a 3B before the trade deadline… if needed.  Do you have a better plan?  If so, share it with us…

The Phillies sent Josh Lindblom and a minor leaguer  to the Rangers for Michael Young.  The Rangers are paying $10 million of his $16 million contract.  He’s kind of old, but the Phils seem to have success with guys like that.

33 Responses to “The Dodgers Have Changed It All”

1. “Trade Andre Ethier for two top prospects and then package those prospects with Lee, Gordon and Pederson (throw in Capuano so they have a starter back) for James Sheilds. Who says the Dodgers don’t have enough to get it done?”

In my opinion, that is WAY too much for a starting pitcher with a 2.4 avg. WAR and a career 4.26 ERA. Do that for Miguel Cabrera and I am in.

2. OK

3. Fine by me.

4.Oka doke

5. Looks like it ain’t up to Jed.

6. Just sign the guy. You already ponied up 25 million just for that opp, get it done.

7. I doubt it.

Looks like the Phillies got better and it didn’t cost all that much. Rangers paying most of the salary.

Cano?

I don’t disagree with your take that free agency has changed. And the Dodgers certainly are a big part of it. But it’s not just the Dodgers. There is a lot more TV money coming into baseball, giving every team more money to spend. And the agents know it. Also, keep in mind that free agency often stretches into January. Prince Fielder didn’t sign until the end of January last year. And Kyle Lohse on his previous contract didn’t sign until March.

I don’t mind trading Ethier and signing Hamilton. I’ve thought about it, and so have others.

I won’t even get into your Shields deal. I’ll let the Dodgers and Rays figure that one out, if it ever comes to that. Screw Ryu and Greinke? Maybe. The Dodgers should certainly be exploring alternatives, if only because it’s always preferable to have a backup plan or plans. In Ryu’s case we’ll know by tomorrow. The good thing about not signing him is that the Dodgers will get back their posting fee, and there will be no contract. Combined that might give the Dodgers another $50 million or so to spend. Some of that money could go to Greinke, Hamilton, Sanchez, et. al.

Skip Schumaker? Maybe. A lot depends on what else is done. As we know, the possibilities are endless.

3. Joseph Olivas says:

MARK I LIKE UR THINKING ON THIS ONE. EVERYTHING SOUNDS PERFECT ONLY WISH IT COULD REALLY GO DOWN LIKE THIS! PERFECT ON EVERYTHING U SAID HERE. COULD NOT AGREE MORE

The Grinch[ke] that stole Christmas can go eff himself, I really don’t even want him anymore.
    Money can’t buy you love

5. Leroy says:

Is this a Dodger news website, or a “what if?” or “what I would do,” website? I may just stick to MSTI.

I read MSTI also. This site has a far friendlier format for posting, and far more interaction between those posting. Everyone should post where they’re most comfortable. If MSTI is that place for you, that’s where you should be. Adios.

• Leroy says:

Sorry for the “hater-ade,” but it just seems that a lot of the posts here lately are just plugging random guys in everywhere while trading others. I Know the offseason dictates itself, so… yeah.

7. Pete M. says:

Mark…Glad your back!!! Its all/mostly the Dodger’s fault…Can’t buy it (no pun intended… This is a product of baseball’s new found TV revenue and The Scott Boras school of negotiating.
    As I posted today on Pokerface, I’m thinking they could get a another involved in Dre to get Sheilds.
    I am a big fan of Sheilds and I’m glad we have hopefully gotten over the infactuation of Josh G.
    Hamilton…It would be a major coup…Surrounded by Newcombe and Sweet Lou he could continue his possible march to the Hall…Damn, hit yourself into the preseason and pitch yourself thru it…Hallelujah
    Sanchez…better than the $90M I heard…Do it…
    Young is gone…Chavez is gone(?)..Schumacher??? I guess so…
    Sign Ryu…Trade Harang and Cap…
    Badger any chance for Teo tonite in NY???

8. Mike Dixon says:

Who the hell would take on Ethier’s bloated contract and send 2 top prospects to the Dodgers…I would love Shields but chances are the Dodgers already sent their best prospects to Boston a few months ago…They have to sign Ryu by tomorrow, then hopefully Greinke signs with us, or Anibal…I’m fine with either…….I also hope they keep Gordon cause who knows how Cruz will play next year….

Ethier had a 124 OPS+ and a 3.5 WAR last year Mike. So, to answer your questions – there would be A LOT of teams that would take him off our hands.

Nope. I think it’s Johnny Football, don’t you? Would love to see Teo get it but a qb that does what Manziel did gets the votes.

I like Mikes writing but I don’t like the flow of conversation. Feels like people are just trying to out cute each other. This place works for me.

10. Pete M. says:

Badger I dont know if they will break tradition and go with a freshman Heisman, but Johnny Football is a joy to watch…Luv Teo but I think it goes to an offensive player and should.
    LADodgertalk has it going on…No comparisons…
    I’m going to be 100% truthful…I came into the offseason wanting a good INF b/u for Cruz (he’s my starter and is till he can’t do it)and a number #2 pitcher and that was that. I felt we had a team that could afford to find out what we have in regards to Fife, Castellanos, VanSlyke Jr. etc, etc…knowing full well I can reload at the deadline…
    It has morphed into quite a scavenger hunt…

11. the truth hurts says:

espn reports dodgers and greinke closing in on deal….. ;)

Saw the MLB Trade Rumors –

add this:

7:22 pm: Mrs. Greinke says when she was in L.A. and went to Hollywood, she was not sure which way she should go on Hollywood Blvd. So she feels lost there. News on this at 9:43 pm.

• Glass Is Half Full says:

Don’t feel bad Mrs. Greinke…I’ve lived in Southern California for 40 years and I once got lost once coming out of the Hollywood Bowl…..Wanted to head East toward the Inland Empire and ended up in Santa Monica!!!!

Wait a minute…. Greinke close with the Dodgers? Did the Poker face work? Report is it is $145 million…. Could that be true? Hardly the $170 -$180 we heard. Whoa. This couldn’t possibly be true.

We love Zach. Sorry about all the “screw you”stuff Mr. Greinke .

Lets all loathe Ryu, now……..until tomorrow.

I actually like the rotation if all this goes through. And I get this feeling Ned/Stan and the boys aren’t done.

Looks good on Greinke. Hope we have something more definitive by the tomorrow morning. And the same MLB Trade Rumors is reporting Ryu/Dodgers are still far apart.

If the Greinke thing is true, I agree that they’re not done. I wonder, assuming this deal will get done, if Boras will be more amenable to closing a deal for Ryu, given that this signing gives the Dodgers more leverage. Or maybe the Dodgers move on from Ryu and use the money saved elsewhere. A lot would probably depend on exactly how highly the Dodgers think of Ryu. The $25 million posting fee tells me they do think pretty highly of him.

Also, if the Greinke deal is completed as reported, it would appear that Cole Hamels set the market with the $144 million contract he signed in the summer.

Dodger owners just about to sign him . . .

But I just got a message that they ran out . . . and have offered a $200 million dollar contract to Johnny Manziel who just won the Heisman Trophy. They are not sure how they will use him. First they have to move him from throwing a football and dodging attackers, to throwing a baseball and being a Dodger.

16. Dave says:

It must be true – even wikipedia says so (wink wink)

“Donald Zackary “Zack” Greinke is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers.”

17. ken says:

What DRomo Said! You just got to mess with Murphy’s Law as it applies to patience every once in a while!

Under $150 mil? Good job Neddy! Now stay up all night and decide, between Sanchez and Ryu, and of course sign one of them!

18. Dave says:

This, too, from wikipedia (come guys, gotta look beyond the usual sources). . .

“When Greinke started playing baseball at Apopka High School, he was an infielder with a powerful bat and did not pitch at all. He looked up to slugger Mark McGwire. By the end of his high school career, he had batted over .400 and hit 31 home runs.[4]“

Save $25 million + salary to Douchy Boras Client. Sign Sanchez for $50 million 3 yr deal. Which is cheaper?

In answer to who would take on Ethier’s “bloated” contract, the answer is, any number of teams. Keep in mind that Victorino just got 3/$39 and Angel Pagan got 4/$40. There’s lot of new media money in baseball, and teams are spending it. The way things are going, Ethier is looking cheap.

I’m in 7th heaven. First Navy pulls it out and then Zach puts the cherry on top.
    Could you imagine if we could land Price now?
    Kershaw, Greinke then Price

Game, set, match

Believe Ryu will sign. If we sign another starter he would be vital to the pen.

:}

22. SomethingHappenAlready says:

Look at that. We got are Greinke! 147 Mil

23. gionfriddo says:

Great night, other than Te’o getting ripped off, that is.

Greinke 6 yrs @ 147 mill? Guggs found that in petty cash according to sources…..

To hell with Boras on these Ryu talks– go get Anibal Sanchez and make yet another statement.

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]