Schu in for 2B

As has been rumored for quite some time now, the Dodgers evidently traded Jake Lemmerman to the Cardinals for Skip Schumaker, who is a career .305 hitter against RH pitching.  Evidently, he will platoon at 2B with Mark Ellis who could not hit a RH pitcher to save his life, but who murders LH pitching.  Sounds like a marriage made in heaven, right.

It looks good in theory, but the combined age of Ellis and Schumaker is 68.  Lemmerman alone seems to be a small price to pay for Schumaker.  As it stands right now, it appears to me that Ellis and Schumaker would hit leadoff.  While neither is a stolen-base threat, their combined OB% could be excellent for the Dodgers #1 spot in the lineup.  Effectively, Mark Ellis will play only about a third of the time if they go with a strict platoon.

Having a $220 million dollar payroll is no guarantee you will win anything. When you have spent as much as the Dodgers already have, you need to make sure that you have just about everything you need.  What is a few more million… or ten, or twenty in this scheme of things?  As Don Mattingly articulated, if the Dodgers don’t win it all in 2013, they are failures.

What else do the Dodgers need?

Let me remind you – they really need a leadoff hitter.  Now, I don’t think they have to get every piece of the puzzle, but they really do need a real  leadoff hitter.  Bluefan posted a trade proposal I liked yesterday which was Capuano and Ethier for Jacoby Elsbury, who would become the Dodgers’ RF and leadoff hitter.  I know he has been injury-prone but odds-are he will not be that way every year.  He’s a LH hitter, but hits lefties better than Ethier and can leadoff.  He can easily steal 45-50 bases (70 is his high).  He hit 32 HR a couple of years ago, but that was an anomaly – he’s a 15 HR guy in my opinion.

The complicating factor is that Ethier and Capuano make $14 million more than Elsbury and I doubt the Red Sox want to take on that much salary, so the Dodgers might have to toss in $6-9 million and/or throw in a prospect like Joc Pederson.

With Elsbury in RF, and Schumaker also being able to play CF, the Dodgers would have two backups to Kemp.  Hairston plays the OF as well and I wouldn’t mind seeing Alex Castellanos being given a shot as a utility player as well.

If the Dodgers were to get Elsbury, I would be OK with Cruz at 3B to start the season, but Mike Olt should be on the Dodgers radar.  Check out the lineup if the Dodgers were to get Elsbury:

1. Elsbury  RF
  2. Schumaker/Ellis  2B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Gonzalez  1B
  5. Ramirez  SS
  6. Crawford  LF
  7. Cruz  3B
  8. Ellis  C

… or you could flip Crawford and 2B.

Justin Sellers would be the obvious choice to move from the 40 man roster, but I have a better idea… can we just rid ourselves of Juan Uribe?  Please…

I smell a trade – my crystal ball says Gordon, Lee, Ethier, Capuano, Uribe, Harang… it’s hazy – I can’t see it clearly, but I smell it!

46 Responses to “Schu in for 2B”

1. Pete M. says:

I wonder if Dre reads many of these columns??? I still don’t get the need in getting rid of Dre. Oh ya, I’m one of those who love to complain during the year at his ineptness against LH’s, but when the day is done, Dre is pretty damn consistent year in, year out…
    Ellsbury is definetely a physical question mark.
    Uribe on the roster goes along with the question “what happened to the Anasazi Indian tribe”….
    I definetely would like to see Castellanos get a shot at a roster spot out of ST…

Dre reads every day. He just doesn\’t post. ;)

3. The Real Dre says:

I read but I don’t like

4. Josh says:

Im not so much worried about 3rd base. There isn’t much on the market right now anyway. If Cruz turns out a pumpkin, there will likely be good trades available mid-season when teams start to figure their chances are bad. Until then, we can probably hold our own; our line-up is pretty solid as it stands.

5. ken says:

Elsbury – Too much risk

I still want to see a trade for Dickey

If Hamilton get 3-4 years from the Rangers then I would trade Puig and one pitching prospect for Olt.

Shu – good trade. More platoons needed.

Dodgers have 22 pitchers and 18 position players on their 40 man roster, while they typically shoot for 20/20. Time to trade a couple of pitchers, or DFA Ely? Or DFA Sellers and trade some pitchers later?

However, there really is no spot left for Uribe now that Punto, Shumaker and Hairston are the IF backups for 2013. Uribe is the person that should be DFA’s.

6. Rob says:

Uribe needs to go!!! No more Boooribe!

7. ken says:

Rumored Dickey for Lee and Gordon deal did not impress the Mets! Then through in Logan White too!

I fail to see the fascination with Mike Olt. Maybe he’s very good, but I’ve also seen reports that he might not be as good as he’s made out to be. Also, I’m guessing that most of the people who want him probably haven’t seen him at all or have seen him very little. I wouldn’t be so quick to wish for a player I haven’t seen play everyday.

I wouldn’t worry about Uribe. He can be DFA’d at a moments notice. It doesn’t hurt for the Dodgers to carry him on the roster until they absolutely need his spot. Who knows, maybe he still has some value in a trade if the Dodgers eat most of his contract.

• Anonymous says:

After a first full year in 2011 that was interrupted by a broken collarbone, Olt shook off the rust with a huge Arizona Fall League. That carried over to 2012, where he put up big numbers in the Double-A Texas League before getting called up to the big league club in early August. Scouts think he has the chance to be a better all-around hitter than originally thought, though power and run production are what will keep him in the big leagues. He’s a good defender at third to boot and was showing the Rangers he can also handle first or an outfield corner if needed.

9. emerson-Lake says:

I too would like to see Castellanos get a shot–he’s a stone cold line-drive hitter. Jesus, don’t you think they should let somebody from the system stick around and make the team! I had a theory last year that they were holding onto Uribe to prevent him from getting picked up by the Giants and being reborn in San Francisco where he was a key guy. Maybe that’s what’s going on this year too…I see no mention of him in any plans. The money is dead and gone–I’d rather have Castellanos on the bench than Uribe. Maybe they’ll hold onto Uribe until just before cut-down date when Giants have formed their team. I like the Schumaker plan okay–should make for a pretty potent 2nd base bat–looks like he has a nice stroke. Had no faith in Late-Night Lemmerman anyway.

10. ken says:

Yea, Olt is not a good choice for the dodgers, his OPS at Licey was only a 0.24 points higher than Hanley’s!

11. ken says:

Dodger minor league prospects 1-20
    10 Pitchers
    6 OF – Before DFA #15 SVS
    1 C
    1 SS
    2 3B

Top 100, Lee #42, Puig #92 – Where’s the Beef?

Maybe the dodgers should trade excess starting pitching for infield prospects

Will SVS be traded in the next couple of days? Is another deal in the works? Time to trade one SP?

Hopefully Crawford will be ready for Opening Day, but I would still rather have Gwynn instead of Uribe on the 25 man roster on opening day, just for insurance purposes.

Lakers – Bring back Bernie Bickerstaff!

Van Slyke DFA’d!! B17 won’t be happy about this! Now who’s gona be our starting LF ahead of 4th OF Carl Crawford???

13. Idahoal says:

I like the Schumacher deal. However, we need to keep Dre. He is a solid player and he used to hit left handed pitching. Let McGwire work with him. I am with those who want to give Castellanos a shot at staying with the team. He looks good at the plate. Let him play third with Cruz. I have a lot more questions about Crawford than any player on the team. I would rather get rid of Crawford than Dre. Uribe, just get rid of him. I do not even care if the Giants take him.

14. the truth hurts says:

as much as I love our pitching….

I am TERRIFIED of our hitting….

same lineup as the second half disaster of last season except for a questionable Crawford….

I guess I should be optimistic. ;)

Scott, Scott, Scott — we were all pulling for you. You had your chance, you shot — I will never forget that grand slam you hit in Dodger Stadium.

Maybe you will find the major league way. Best to you.

16. Pete M. says:

Now were gonna dump Crawford or relegate to #4 OF without seeing him????
    Now we have Castellanos at 3B???
    It’s time I suppose to ask!!! Can we convert Dee Gordon to SP and trade Zack Greinke???

17. RoidRage says:

Good point Pete, you have to just smile at some of the silliness. However, maybe Ethier can be put in the pen for long relief instead of playing the OF.

I forget who brought it up but… Who is our back up 1B? Big Mac? LOL

I see Punto and Uribe are being shopped. It’s laughable to think some one might want Uribe. I would imagine he gets cut before someone takes him on. Punto I like , but with guys like Schumaker (left ahnded bat) and Hairston on the bench, I don’t see where he fits in.

Lance Berkman anyone? Switch hitter. Off the bench. Some pop left. Can play 1B once a week. Any one?

Already suggested Berkman Romey. No bites around here. Depth chart has nobody behing Gonzalez. I like Punto too but we don’t need him.

• Glass Is Half Full says:

I too would like Berkman..I would not be surprised to see him re-sign with the Astros so he can DH next year…

20. Bobbie17 says:

I still am a VanSlyke fan. It’s amazing how little the Dodgers think of their own organization. If appearances mean anything, no one should be left standing in the scouting and development departments. I don’t disagree with that premise, except I don’t think it is happening. They ALL should go. I like that Coletti and Mattingly have people looking over their shoulders. I would not want to be their professional shoes right now. I see McGuire as the next Dodgers’ manager. What do you all think?

21. Pete M. says:

Bobbie17…I personally have no problem with Van Slyke (I too think he’ll bee traded anyhow)…It could have been Ely (who I really wish would get a fresh start with someone, Uribe (does he have pictures of Ned or something???)or Sellers (I would keep at AAA)…
    I will put the demise of all the above deptartments, Ned and Donnie Baseball with my Mayan date of 12-21-12….

22. Pete M. says:

If I’m a set-up or closer on any team and I see the Dodger bench as assembled, I just smile and go out to the bump and say bring em. I know we tried the experiment before, but what about Thome??? Someone to put a lil fear in them.

Wow Anaheim on the verge of signing Josh Hamilton.

Both teams going BIG this year!!!

Crazy. Hamilton 5 yrs/ $125 million. Longer than Texas wanted to go… And they know him. Bold move (reactionary move) for a team that doesn’t need an OF er.
    Now they will likely trade for a starter. Dickey? Hmm?

25. Max says:

In the wake of the Hamilton signing the Rangers need an outfielder. What if we traded Ethier, Capuano, and Lee for Elvis Andrus? We might need to add some money in that deal but I would love Andrus. Or Ethier, Capuano, and money for Olt. Then we go out and sign Bourn. We would have a lead off hitter, a great defender in RF or even take over for Kemp in CF and fill out our infield as well. I think the deal could work now I just to convince the Dodgers and Rangers.

26. ken says:

Artie just had to try and show up the dodgers one more time. Well just hire 3 shifts of brown boots to follow Hamilton 24-7 and don’t let him leave the stadium without putting an ankle bracelet on him, and then maybe the contract might work out for the angels.

OCD = Orange County Demons

Rangers – S… happens sometimes :)

27. Bobbie17 says:

OC v LA. Interleague will be interesting.

Countdown to Hamiltons first stint on the DL….

I would have to wonder if an opportunity exists to trade for a 3B? Texas won’t let Olt go. I just don’t see it. BUT, maybe Beltre?

29. AnewBlueDay says:

If I were just the average Joe of Jo, and wanted to go to one game next season, and not a die-hard fan — living in L.A. –

And looked at the rosters quickly, and saw that Gerinke was starting for the Dodgers and the Angels had Pujols and Hamilton in their batting order — I think I go for the HRs in the Angels game. I’m just saying . . .

Max, I like the idea, but you don’t trade an Alll Star outfielder, a ML starter and your top prospect for anything less than an All Star .900 OPS player, and since we already have a starting SS, make that trade for third baseman. If Beltre is made available, which I doubt, the bidding will be high. The Rangers are not likely to go with Olt yet. We need to look elsewhere.

With Hamilton signed, Ethier stays put.

Angels with quite a lineup. Hunter ain’t very happy right now.

• ken says:

Was told that angels had no $$ ??

Speaking of $$$. How much do the dodgers really have?

Placed order for tickets 5/28 & 5/29 LAD @ LAA :)

• Max says:

I think Ken and I are on the same page. We both want Andrus. He is a better player than Ethier and we need a SS, I don’t think Hanley will cut it. It seems like a great deal for Andrus yet I doubt Texas would take it. I believe Andrus is an elite SS and would love to have him in blue that’s why I would trade a lot for him. Plus, after the deal is done, all this hinges on his availability, we sign Bourn. So we would have improved defense and offense. Bourn is a much better defender than Ethier and is probably on par with him offensively. Andrus much better than Cruz, all we would be giving up is our best pitching prospect. Either Capp, Harang, or Lilly has to go there isn’t any room for them. Dealing one of them is necessary.

31. ken says:

Now I really want to shake it up.

Trade Either to TX for Andrus

Move Hanley to 3B

Sign Bourne

Trade Cappy, Harang, Garcia, and Puig for Dickey

Time for a Freeway Series World Series in 2013!

32. Bball says:

Screw the angels. We are LAs team no matter what the angels do. I predict pujos continues declining. Trout has a sophomore slump and Hamilton plays a max of 110 games cause he’s a crybaby who will have allergies due to the beautiful LA air. Dodger blue or screw you. Oh and I also would love to have Beltre back

33. Rob says:

I don’t like the fact that we don’t have a true lead off hitter. We need runners in front of our bangers to create havoc on the opposing pitcher. I really feel like that’s our biggest hole right now. Looks like anibal is going to the cubs, the angels must be working behind the scenes to get another pitcher.

I don’t buy the Angels Dodgers rivalry. The Angels are in Orange County and in a different league. In L.A. it’s the Lakers the Dodgers U.S.C. and the Kings. In Orange County it’s Mickey Mouse, Matre Dei, the Ducks then the Angels.

We need Bourn. Trade Ethier for prospects, use them for a third baseman, add a bench thumper and tee it up.

35. RoidRage says:

Kevin says:
    December 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Or you could go watch the best pitcher in the game and watch Kemp hit dongs….

No comment, just thought it was worth repeating.

36. Pete M. says:

Badger could you please add Gardena Serra to the L.A. teams, I don’t want Mater Dei folks to gloat.
    Your wishlist is something. Maybe a 3 team mega trade of sorts!!??
    Torii Hunter was told there wasn’t any budget.. I hear the players say so often ‘It’s a business’…With a lil deceit mixed in.
    Mikey and Donnie will be seen in their local 12 step
    meetings for mgrs powerless over team payrolls…

37. ken says:

Dodgers and angels signed the 2 stars of the Hot Stove and now all of the rest of the dominos are beginning to fail into place. Enjoying the Hot Stove activity.

But still feeling that the dodgers need one more starting pitcher and a backup/platoon C or 3B in order to win the WS. Is there any room left in the 2013 paroll budget or do we need to wait to see what comes back in exchange for the extra starting pitching that the dodgers seem to have today.

Last spring I said that Bills was the key to the 2012 season. As of today I am leaning toward Crawford as the key to rhe 2013 season.