Reality Check

You used to accuse me of seeing the Dodger World through “Blue Colored Glasses” so today, I am just going to give you a jolt.  A reality check.

The Dodgers have signed Greinke and Ryu to bolster their pitching staff, but there is still a lot that could go wrong and you need to face reality.  The reality is: not all of what I list will go wrong, but some of it will.  Which ones will be the ones that go south?  Here’s a worst case scenario:

• Hanley Ramirez plays lousy defense at SS and hits .257 (same as 2012)
  • Luis Cruz was a flash in the pan
  • Carl Crawford hits .255 (same as 2011)
  • Andre Ethier continues to struggle against LH pitching
  • Adrian Gonzalez still has a power outage and duplicates what he did in LA last season
  • Chad Billingsley has to have arm surgery and misses the season
  • Brandon League pitches like he always has
  • Clayton Kershaw requires surgery on his hip (it’s not like the Dodgers medical staff is always forthcoming)
  • Ted Lilly still has arm soreness and cannot pitch
  • Matt Guerrier is toast
  • Matt Kemp continues to be injured
  • AJ Ellis had his career year in 2012 and his average plumments
  • Zach Greinke wilts under the huge expectations
  • Ryu can’t pitch in the majors
  • Pento and Hairston are toast
  • Schumaker can’t field a lick
  • Josh Beckett looks like he has been rode hard and put away wet
  • The clubhouse becomes toxic

Some of those things will happen?  Some have happened already in past years.  Which ones?  I am rooting for the Dodgers, but spending money guarantees nothing.  They have to win…. NOW!  Will they?  There are lots of questions.

… and the pressure is on.

Let’s hope none of that happens, buy we all know SOME of it will.  How much will determine the Dodgers fate in 2013.

28 Responses to “Reality Check”

1. Bobbie17 says:

I hate to be the first one to get in on this, but the possibilities are there, real and not far fetched. Living in the Bay Area, the a…..holes in SF are STILL the team to beat and still have the best team, as in TEAM! A bunch of role players and great pitching, which feeds off one another. The new Dodgers will have to play 100% to beat them. Can they? They haven’t yet, but they can. A lot of the success will depend on the team attitude, particularly from Beckett and Ramirez. Also, I do worry about Kemp’s injury. It looked nasty. It might take a year to get back to his usual form. Who knows? I can’t wait for it to start.

I won’t disagree that some of that bad stuff will happen. But there are negative scenarios for just about every team in MLB. And we all know that spending a lot doesn’t guarantee anything. The reality is that we all (except the most naive of us) know that nothing is guaranteed, and that Murphy can rear his ugly head (if anyone doesn’t know who Murphy is, look up Murphy’s Law). The cliche that says, “that’s why they play the games” is always in force, for the Dodgers and everyone else.

And of course, there’s the contrary, that some good stuff we don’t expect will happen. Maybe Kemp breaks out and win the triple crown, Mark McGuire helps Ethier remember how to hit lefthanders like he did in his first 2 or 3 years with the Dodgers, Dee Gordon puts it all together and give the Dodgers their leadoff hitter, Yasiel Puig makes unforeseen progress and finds a place in the Dodgers lineup,or the Dodgers make a midseason or earlier acquisition that vaults them into the World Series, etc., etc., etc.

Fact is, nobody knows what the future holds. All the Dodgers can do is fortify themselves as best they can for the coming season, and hope for the best. Same goes for every other team in MLB.

I think everything said here by Mark is why I am cautiously optomistic about the upcoming season.

NO doubt. We all know how things can go wrong (see my Lakers)

Lakers are a great example.

Yeah, of course it could go wrong. I don’t think it’s remotely possible that EVERYTHING Mark talks about would happen in the same year, but some of it could. Still a few ifs with this team.

But ain’t it exciting? McATM and his high maintenance wench are gone and the entire system is being rebuilt. No matter how many times Mark attempts to bring me down I refuse to be down. This IS going to work. S.F. HAS built a good team, that is true. I think we can beat them.

Question for those who believe in Elvis – why would his team trade him?

• ken says:

Control for only 2 more years and a very good replacement nipping at his heals, Profar? Plus they can’t seem to make a trade workout!

7. ken says:

Dodgers and angels signed the 2 stars of the Hot Stove and now all of the rest of the dominos are beginning to fail into place. Enjoying the Hot Stove activity.

But still feeling that the dodgers need one more starting pitcher and a backup/platoon C or 3B in order to win the WS. Is there any room left in the 2013 paroll budget or do we need to wait to see what comes back in exchange for the extra starting pitching that the dodgers seem to have today.

Last spring I said that Bills was the key to the 2012 season. As of today I am leaning toward Crawford as the key to rhe 2013 season.

Now that this, who is the best team is where we are . . .

Unless the Dodgers trade or sign a really really good third baseman between now and Spring Training –

The Dodgers, IMO, will be a better and stronger team if Hanley moves to 3B, and Gordon plays SS.

Why? If we take the present roster, and throw some names to cover third base: Cruz, Hairston, Herrera, Punto, Schumaker, Sellers, Uribe, Castellanos –

None of those guys, IMO, can do what Gordon could do in this new Dodger lineup.

He could lead off, or hit in the 8th or 9th slot. But his speed, and continued growth, will help this team.

Hanley has to get over what HE WANTS TO DO, and play for the team. Period.

“Hanley has to get over what HE WANTS TO DO, and play for the team. Period.”

Of course Mark tells us that Hanley hasn’t got over that stuff. We really don’t know if that’s the case.

And by the way, why do people think the Giants are so wonderful. Yes, they won the WS. And I still don’t think they’re all that good. And even if they are good, they’re certainly no powerhouse. In fact, if Matt Kemp had been healthy all year, I believe the Dodgers would have run away with the division. The Giants beat us by 8 games. How many games did the Dodgers lose to the Giants that could have been influenced by the presence of a healthy Kemp. Just 4 more victories by the Dodgers against the Giants would have made up those 8 games (remember, each head-to-head game against a particular team has a 2-games swing in the standings).

Marco Scutaro is a good player. But does anyone think the 37 year old will hit over .360 again for the Giants? Signing him to a 3-year contract may come back to bite the Giants. And so may the ridiculous 4-year, $40 million contract given to Angel Pagan. Does Sergio Romo give the Giants a repeat performance, or does he come back down to earth? Is Tim Lincecum a starting pitcher or is he relegated to the bullpen? Could Barry Zito implode again?

Is the Giants pitching better than the Dodgers pitching?

And those stats were without Greinke.

• Max says:

I agree with you on everything except for Pagan. He’s a 4-5 win player. In my opinion one of the most undervalued in baseball. Pagan had a higher WAR than Josh Hamilton last year and it wasn’t Pagan’s career high.

10. Rob says:

All the dodgers need to do is gel as a team. Everyone needs to know their role and the pressure will subside. Last year every player was trying to be “The Guy” but that is a recipe for disaster. Spring training will clear up who has what role on this team and I expect greatness!

Profar? Let me ask you ken, of the two, who would you keep and sign long term?

So now we are talking Hanley at third again? I thought that was settled.

I agree about the gints Brooklyn. I don’t think they are that great, but they put it together two out of the last three years. Three out of four? Not very likely. If the Dodgers are healthy, and don’t get all full of themselves they will compete for the division.

12. Gonzo says:

As excited as I am for all the dodgers have done, what the por excuse of a human being did to those little ones and teachers today has made me realize that I devote a little to much time in digging for the latest scoop that my team did. Having a three year old who is chomping at the bit to go to school I can’t even imagine what I would do in that situation. Being a teacher and a parent this hits too close to home. May God have all those that were killed today by his side. As for the shooter, may God have mercy and pity on your soul.

There are no words.

We have seen way too much if this in our country. What can be done?

There really are no words. I can’t even begin to imagine what I’d do or feel in that situation. Not sure I want to know. Yes, most of us probably spend too much time thinking about the Dodgers, but I’m betting that all of us would be happy if the Dodgers never won a another game if we could take today back. That was a reality check.

It\’s too bad the shooter is dead. I think severe torture is in order when kids are hurt. It is incomprehensible!

16. Rob says:

How ironic that the title of the blog is “Reality Check”. With the horrible shooting it really puts into perspective everyday life.

17. Max says:

I’m going to call you Mark “Murphey’s Law” Timmons. No team is perfect, nor is this team near perfect but I still like em. Considering where the Dodgers were the last 3 seasons I’m happy. New ownership is committed to winning and turning the Franchise in the right direction. Mark, did you predict AJ Ellis to have good year last season? That’s an example of things going right (I liked him more than Barajas but he still far exceeded my expectations). This team will make the playoffs.

Torturing the mentally ill is not the answer Mark. Restricting their access to guns would be a start. People are snapping everywhere. I find this place, and baseball, a good escape from the real world.

Do we have a third baseman yet? I’ve been under the weather the last 24 hours.

19. Pete M. says:

Badger, how can you get sick in beautiful SoCal??? A probable dining dilemna!?!
    I too had to take a little break baseball stuff and made sure to call my kids and grandkids in Or. & Wa. May the Higher Power of your watch over the families in Conn.
    Guns??? Better checks and balances and uniform pre-approval of purchase. I still see no need for the avid hunter or collector to have a machine gun.
    No 3B badger and I don’t see it coming. Mark, your column was a little ‘Mayan’ for me, but you throw alot of stuff on the board and yes, some will stick. I’ve got pretty damn good pitching right now and an offense that is capable of creating havoc for other teams. Come on ST.

Badger, do me a favor, please, you are a Marine.

Look again at the 2nd Amendment and tell me just how that allows citizens of the country to collect, carry, store – some of the weapons that have killed and injured these innocent people taken over the past 5 or 10 or 15 or even 20 years in this country.

I hear the left side saying, we need to debt the gun laws and make changes. And the right side, seems to say, now is not the time to debate – guns do not kill people, people kill people; leave our guns alone.

Last night at a church choir Christmas party, I asked a H.S. teacher who is also the sports trainer at school — what happens if a person, comes into a H.S. (or college) basketball game — and with a semi-automatic weapon — just shoots into the crowd — and dozens are hurt, injured, and or killed? He said he had been thinking about that all day. Unless we check everyone going on a school property, gym, etc. really nothing. And his H.S. campus has 15 individual buildings, not just one big facility were they could only be one or two or three entrances.

Also, this could happen at a professional sport, facility. We Dodger / Giant fans remember the parking lot violence last year when a so called Dodger fans violently hurt a Giants fan.

Agree with everything you said Pete.

As you know Roger, I lean forward in my thinking – I am a progressive. I wasn’t always, but the lies I was told about Vietnam, and my involvement in that war, woke me up big time. I think the second amendment, how it was written , when it was written and why it was written should be examined. There is no need for military grade assault weapons or automatic weapons in general to be in the hands of private citizens. Hunting rifles and handguns for protection should remain legal, though there will never be any in my house. I have seen enough killing to last a couple of lifetimes.

It’s my opinion that this is what you get when your national priorities are as f’d up as ours are, and have been for years. We need to get our collective sh*t together or there will be more of this.

Badger said, “Torturing the mentally ill is not the answer Mark. Restricting their access to guns would be a start.”

I agree. In fact, torturing anyone, for any reason, is not the answer. There’s a lot to be said for “two wrongs don’t make a right.”

Yes, people do kill people, and guns are only one of the instruments for doing that. However, make anything more available, and it’s more likely to be used in a manner for which it was not intended. If a gun is easily available it’s more likely to be used in an impulsive act, or be the instrument of an accident, than if it had not been so easily available. And there is no excuse for people to be able to obtain military style weapons. That’s just insanity.

The 2nd Amendment states the following: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Other than militias established by extremist fringe groups, this county has no “well regulated militias”. The 2nd Amendment is a relic of time passed. Weapons have changed, and the need for militias has changed. Does anyone seriously think our founding fathers would have included the 2nd Amendment is today’s world? I think not. But I’m sure there are those who beg to differ.

Exactly what I was talking about Brooklyn. S

The NRA and gun lobbyists have driven the narrative and therefor the legislation on this issue long enough. It is time for smart and sane to enter our conversation on guns. It begins with a ban on all assault weapons, automatic weapons and all banana clips. The right, in their usual fear mongering style, have been railing for years that Obama is trying to take your guns away. I wish that we’re true but it is nonsense. Obama gets F’s in his dealings with gun control.

And that isn’t all that needs to be addressed. We need to direct some resources to identifying and treating our mentally disturbed. We can afford billions got wars all over this planey, we can afford some treatment for our insane.

Obviously I need something larger than this phone on which to type.

I had some PRP injections Pete, on both knees and both shoulders (over 20 in total). The doc have me some Norco and I had a severe reaction to it. I was down all day at the hotel with nausea. Finally let it all go last night. Feel better today so off we go to gather with the wife’s family.

I expect something Dodger to happen today.

25. sctvlk says:

Would you rather have Dodger pitching or the Angels batting?! #Hamilton #Greinke

26. Pete M. says:

Sorry to hear that Badger…Get well….
    sctvlk – pitching – play/hit yourself into the playoffs, pitch your way thru it…Case in point Detroit could nopt be stopped during the season and Gigantes stopped em dead….