You used to accuse me of seeing the Dodger World through “Blue Colored Glasses” so today, I am just going to give you a jolt. A reality check.
The Dodgers have signed Greinke and Ryu to bolster their pitching staff, but there is still a lot that could go wrong and you need to face reality. The reality is: not all of what I list will go wrong, but some of it will. Which ones will be the ones that go south? Here’s a worst case scenario:
- Hanley Ramirez plays lousy defense at SS and hits .257 (same as 2012)
- Luis Cruz was a flash in the pan
- Carl Crawford hits .255 (same as 2011)
- Andre Ethier continues to struggle against LH pitching
- Adrian Gonzalez still has a power outage and duplicates what he did in LA last season
- Chad Billingsley has to have arm surgery and misses the season
- Brandon League pitches like he always has
- Clayton Kershaw requires surgery on his hip (it’s not like the Dodgers medical staff is always forthcoming)
- Ted Lilly still has arm soreness and cannot pitch
- Matt Guerrier is toast
- Matt Kemp continues to be injured
- AJ Ellis had his career year in 2012 and his average plumments
- Zach Greinke wilts under the huge expectations
- Ryu can’t pitch in the majors
- Pento and Hairston are toast
- Schumaker can’t field a lick
- Josh Beckett looks like he has been rode hard and put away wet
- The clubhouse becomes toxic
Some of those things will happen? Some have happened already in past years. Which ones? I am rooting for the Dodgers, but spending money guarantees nothing. They have to win…. NOW! Will they? There are lots of questions.
… and the pressure is on.
Let’s hope none of that happens, buy we all know SOME of it will. How much will determine the Dodgers fate in 2013.