Pokerface

Under Ned Colletti, you don’t get much information from the Dodgers personnel about trades and/or free agents.  Ned has his pokerface on and isn’t saying much except the usual soundbites.  Smart.  Very smart.  Ned plays his cards close and must have everyone on notice that if there is a leak, the person who leaks info will be offed!  I’m sure that’s what it is.  Not much is happening at the winter meetings and I can’t get any Dodger people to return my calls or e-mails.  Come to think of it, it wouldn’t either.

A few observations:

• The NL starting SS at the All-Star game in 2013 will be our own Hanley Ramirez!  Write it down.
  • Mike Petriello made a suggestion I really like.  Trade Dee Gordon and a pitcher (Harang or Capuano or a prospect) for Kyle Seager.  Seager would hit 30 HR in Dodger Stadium and could move to 2B when his brother makes the show.  I like that deal a lot.  That’s why Mike makes the big bucks!
  • If the Dodgers can’t get Seager, then I want Mike Olt.
  • Zach Greinke is going to the team that has the most money (Dodgers) and the team where he can have the best stats (Dodgers).  LA is not a problem for him.  Book it!  He also like the NL better than the AL and the Dodgers will trump andy offer he gets.
  • Randy Choate couldn’t get a deal in Florida where his daughters are, but St. Louis is closer to Florida than LA.  Duhhhhh….
  • Anibel Sanchez is likely headed to LA as well.
  • Ryu is 50-50 – Ned won’t blink!  It will go down to the wire.
  • I still like Cody Ross as the 4th outfielder.
  • I likes Sean Burnett a lot as a situational LH, but the price was too high and he went to the Angels.
  • The Angels also get Joe Blanton – print the tickets!

121 Responses to “Pokerface”

1. Bball says:

Now there’s a deal I like. Seager or olt. That would be awesome. It’s starting to sound like the Ned bashing is getting thinner and I like that too

2. ken says:

Choate – Goodbye!

Burnett – Would have been good in LA Too bad

Victorino – Just stole lots of money

Blanton – Goodbye! 3rd choice of the angels

Chavez – Would have been good in LA Too bad

I would do the trade with Seattel even with an additional prospect #15 thru 20

Boston to keep Ross? If so, then Lee for Elsbury, Crawford becomes #4 OF.

Lets see who gets drafted out of the GREAT dodger minor league system tommorrow!

Yona will get picked.

4. Dave says:

Not so fast on Greinke to the Dodgers – just read elsewhere that his wife is a former Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. How could I forget? I knew that before but somehow just plain forgot. Come on guys – with wives – unless she has bitter memories of cheering for the Cowboys, the Rangers just may land him. Anybody got any dirt on the Cowboys and her? Anything to make her NOT want to go back and hang with her gals in Texas?

5. ken says:

Capuano, Lilly, and $10 mil to Brewers for Jean Segura (SS), Hanley to 3B

• Mark_Timmons says:

Hanley is not moving to 3B.

How many times do I have to tell you guys this?

Naught.

Nada!

Write it down.

• ken says:

The winter meetings are about being Creative, not necessarily facts!

Worst signing so far – Victorino.

Forget about Greinke. Just sign Sanchez and Ryu for less than $161 mil combined.

6. Joseph Olivas says:

I like this post mark everything seems just about right! i hear the dodgers had long discussions with the rays 4 price or shields wow interesting!

If Greinke chooses Texas, there are other ways to get what he offers. The last 4 years of his WAR are 3.2, 1.4, 2.1 and 1.2. In 9 years his ERA+ is 114, and that includes the ONE monster year of 205. Seriously, that is only #3 status. Sanchez can give us that, for considerably less. Shields could be better in Chavez. Today is the day. I agree with ken, if Greinke doesn’t choose by today, then it’s time to move on.

If the Upton for Cabrera deal is pulled off, I can tell you there will be some pissed off dback fans around here.

Josh Hamilton in Seattle? I can see some Beltre numbers waiting for him up there. Maybe he should go to Houston and DH half the time. He could tear that park up.

8. Pete M. says:

Suppose you came to Opryland, set up your suite like something out of the ‘Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous’ and nobody showed!?!? Whats up with that??
    I’ve felt all along that Zack G. was a no go.Looks like his wifey is pulling on him to stay in Texas, so lets go fwd..
    I’d love ‘Big Game’, but I don’t know if they want Dre….
    Sanchez and Ryu…………Thats gonna be the haul???
    Mark, like you said, they gotta get off this Hanley to 3rd. mantra. Dude is not moving….
    Having both the Seager boys intrigues me.

Hanley is only 29 years old. He is listed at 6’2″ 230 pounds. That sounds pretty thick for a shortstop, but, maybe he runs like a halfback. He is allegedly working on defense in the winter league, how hard who knows, and has all Spring to get his shortstop bounce mojo going. Yeah, I think we all agree that the team would be better served with someone else at short, but, methinks Mark is right about this one – Ramirez is the SS.

Now, about third base? The Phillies are pushing for Michael Young with Texas paying half his salary. Anybody here interested in that? He is a 7 time All Star……..

ok, me neither.

Our depth chart still has Cruz there, with Uribe on the list.

It’s still early.

9. Rob says:

The quiet before the storm. I sense a big move is going down today!

10. ken says:

Puig 7 years, $42 mil. $33 mil to play in the minor leagues while Crawford is in LF. That should give Puig 2 years to learn how to play 3B. Hanley is only signed through 2014, so why all of the coddling?

2015 – Imagine Puig at 3B and Gordon at SS, and still 3 more years of Crawford in LF. :)

11. RoidRage says:

First off, you can book it, Cruz will be our 3B. Sources say the Dodgers are completely pleased with what they got from his last season, only a bunch of idiots wouldn’t be. I personally liked what I saw with him. He stayed quiet did his job, while watching players like Uribe just butcher it up and collect huge bank. 3B really is one of the few worries that the Dodgers have, they are focusing their efforts and dollars in greater areas of concern.

Greinke, if he doesn’t come, expect another big time pitcher, like Sanchez from Detroit. The guy is a big time pitcher, with the body that should hold up for quite some time. Outstanding stuff, possibly in Greinke’s catagory.

We have all heard how much cash the Dodgers have to spend, how come no talk of Josh Hamilton coming to the Dodgers? Let me see, Hamilton in RF and Ethier someplace else, like another team for instance, would only be a HUGE upgrade. Not to mention, what’s wrong with a guy that than hit lefties as well as righties.

“what’s wrong with a guy that than hit lefties as well as righties.”

nothin’. But that ain’t what is wrong with Hamilton.

Nobody is “displeased” with what Cruz did in the couple of months he was with the Dodgers. But, if I may play the devils advocate here, a .753 OPS out a corner infielder ain’t all that. He did end up with a 2.2 WAR for the 296 PA’s he was given, so, if he can do that over a full year, we should be fine. But, can he? I don’t expect it.

Puig at third? Interesting. Has he ever done it?

Youk to the Yankees for #12 million? I don’t think he is worth that, but, go for it Yankers.

Off to Flagstaff for some hiking, eating of buckwheat flapjacks, and who knows what else. I expect all this Greinke/3b/maybe another SP stuff to be handled by the time I get back.

• Mark_Timmons says:

The Dodgers are pleased with Cruz… as a utilityman.

The only way he plays 3B on a regular basis is if the Dodgers get a big bat at 2B. He has never came close to the stats he put up last year and as Badger said, a .753 OPS for a 3B isn\’t all that.

12. Rob says:

Hamiltons personal problems with substance abuse would not be good in LA. I would love to see the dodgers workout a deal with Seattle or Tampa for one of their aces using eithier and then sign Bourne as our lead off hitter.

13. RoidRage says:

Sorry boys but the info i’m hearing from the Dodgers is not what you are believing about the 3B situation. Sorry to break up your discussion with some inside info.

Hanley is not moving NOW!!!!! But we don’t know about later. The plan could be for him to occupy the position for the next year or two, and then move over when someone more capable is ready, be it Dee Gordon or someone else. And if someone is ready to replace him at short this year (early or later in the season), that could happen too. Write that down!!!!! If Gordon isn’t moved in a trade, then he becomes infield depth that can be parked at ALBQ. in the interim. Something unexpected always happens during the season, so there’s a good chance he could be an important replacement sometime during the season. Or he could be a trade chip in July.

I don’t know enough about Kyle Seager to say whether or not I would do that deal. For a young, relatively inexperienced guy he did a good job in Seattle last year. But his stats weren’t overwhelming, and I don’t know enough about him to project that the numbers will get better. And I’m not sure the Dodgers need to add another lefthanded bat in the middle of the order to go along with Gonzalez and Ethier, and Crawford at the top of the order, especially given Ethier’s struggles against southpaws.

Like I said in an earlier post, the Dodgers have to be prepared to say no to Greinke, and move on to Plan B, C, D, etc. There are other sizable fish in the sea. Glad to see that Choate signed with the Cardinals. I didn’t want him back, so it’s nice to see that he will be going elsewhere. Who knows, maybe Onelki Garcia is a lefthanded option in the pen.

Alfredio Silverio was just taken in Rule 5 by the Marlins. The Dodgers thought he was safe…

16. ken says:

Forget Greinke
    Impose Gag order
    Sign Kershaw to 5 year $100 mil extension through 2018 with option for 5 more years at $150 mil vesting if Kershaw is healthy enough to pitch 200 innings in 2018.
    Sign Sanchez 5 years $90 mil
    Sign Ryu 4 years $50 mil, or walk away from him too
    Continue to run up the price on Greinke
    Announce all signings on Sunday.
    Then go work on 2B or 3B.

17. ken says:

Guerra and Wall to TX for M. Young :)

I feel Grienke is going to Texas for many reasons. The biggest may be the Dodgers DO NOT GIVE NO TRDAE CLAUSES! To anyone. I did not know that. That could be a deal breaker in light of the Florida/Miami Marlins fiasco!

I also am convinced that when the “blockbuster” trade involving Justin Upton goes down the Greinke to Texas will be a done deal. Maybe I’m wrong?

I am also not sure “losing” on Greinke is a big big deal. As much as I like him the length of that contract is the killer. 6 years is rough. Sanchez for considerably less, Ryu (who could be a bust), and trade for another arm could be just as good.

Lastly, Youklis is looking at a 1 yr deal with the Yankees for about 12 million. If he will take a 1 yr deal, why not here?

Regarding Cruz. Despite the .297, his OBP was only .431, and as pointed out above, his OPS just .753. 9 BB in 283 AB is troubling. This guy just doesn’t get on base, and while he has some power, it’s not the power looked for at 3B, even given Hanely’s presence at short.

Here I agree with Mark. “The Dodgers are pleased with Cruz… as a utilityman.”

20. Pete M. says:

Just like Hanley @ SS, I’m good with Cruz, but once again I want b/u insurance. Badger, would Young go for part time 3B and a lil 1B???
    Youk 12 mill…Really???
    Ryu and Sanchez…Just go for it already..
    Anybody still thinking of Ichiro as our fill in OF and PH extraordinaire???
    Heard NNY referred to as the “coupon clippers”.. I didn’t think I would see this happen….
    How do we know Kasten wont change the ‘no trade’ provision???
    I bet Kershaw’s agent is hyperventilating over the final $$$ on Josh G…
    Again, L.A. is not a ‘one day at a time’ kinda place for Hamilton.
    Silverio snatched in Rule V, another prospect I was warming up to prior to the accident.

Youk $12 million…really! Over paid yes! But a good bat and decent 3B. Best part is the 1 year! It is just a thought…

22. ken says:

I joked above regarding a trade for Mike Young, which was based upon a rumored trade of Lindblum for Young presuming that TX is dumping Young in order to have $$ for both Hamiltion and Greinke. More than 2% probability?

What about Michael Young? The Phillies are on the verge of picking him up for a “Young reliever and an a low level minor leaguer” Texas picks up some salary.

We could do that deal! Heck, Take Michael Young tell Texas we will pay his full salary for someone like Javy Guerra or a low level minor leaguer. 1 or the other not both. Young walks at the end of this year. The best part here is Young can play 1B, 2B, and SS too. He is versitile.

Ken,

I would take Michael Young. Honestly Young has a no trade clause and and presented with the option of coming home to LA he might be more in favor of LA over Philly?

25. Bobbie17 says:

Michael Young at 3d would be great. He’s one of the best hitters I have seen. Last season wasn’t good, and he’s getting old, but…He went to U of Santa Barbara.

Mark and the rest: What do you thing Boras is telling Greinke about LA v Texas? Is he complimentary to the Dodger organization, past, present, future or not. My guess is he is telling Greinke that Texas has its sh..t together, and that LA is a big question mark. Not to mention the lifestyles of So Cal and Texas. If this hasn’t been done by now, it won’t get done. I think they are in the “beyond money” part of the negotiation.
    Too bad because with the Giants having 3 #1′s, LA needs at least 2. Don’t forget, this team has to be built to beat the Giants. If we can’t get past them, forget the gold ring.

Bobbie,

Greinke is not represented by Boras. His agent is Casey Close.

but I think I see your point. I think it is not about the money. The money is going to be there either way. So if it’s 160 or 190 million it is about comfort. Greinke is a different guy (by all accounts) LA might not be his kind of town.

The Giants are indeed the team to beat. They have won two of the past three championships. BUT I don’t see them as having 3 #1′s I see an ace (Cain) and a good #2 (Bumgartner) and a bunch of 3/4 guys. We can do that if we add Sanchez or McCarthy. But I also hope we say NO to Lohse! Over rated and a #3 at best.

Youkilis would appeal to me in a 1 or 2 year deal. He’d have value at 3B, and could also fill in at 1B, and be a valuable PH and DH. Michael Young is 36, and will turn 37 next October. Maybe for a year, but not more. If anything, this organization is no longer about picking up aging vets, since they have the wherewithal to seek longer term solutions. In any case, I wouldn’t offer anything but players that don’t figure to be in the long term plans of the Dodgers. And remember, pieces that are traded now, won’t be available for better deals that could materialize down the road.

I don’t think Silverio figured very prominently in the Dodgers plans anymore. We already have a full outfield in LA, and prospects like Puig and Pederson, and who knows who else. I believe Silverio is about 26. Besides, there’s no guarantee that he’ll stick in the big leagues all of next year. If not, he has to be offered back to the Dodgers for $25K.

28. Nedsucks says:

Why not Youk?

29. ken says:

Angels have a 1 & 2, and 3 #5 starting pitchers. How about a trade to the Angels of either Harang or Cappy, plus a #5-10 pitching prospect, for ethier their #1 3B Cowat or #3 2B Lindsey?

If the 4 team trade actually sends Upton and Shields to TX then Greinke’s worth will drop well below $150 mil. Greinke better think about blinking.

Ken, Solid point! I don’t know if the Angels would deal with the Dodgers. But if Texas adds a pitcher like Shields they are out on Greinke. Greinke will see his offers come back to earth.

I’m really hoping for Greinke, Ryu/Sanchez. And Youklis or Young for 1 year. I think that it could work.

31. Kevin says:

3 YEARS FOR CHOATE!!! Man the Cards are suckers, I’m glad Ned didn’t fall for that one.

Mark, I agree with you about Seager. I would love to see that guy at the hot corner next year. As much as I love Cruz I still think he’s best suited as a utility guy. Free swingers like him usually come back to earth after their “breakout year.”

I don’t think Greinke is coming to LA. All indications point to Texas….hope I’m wrong!

32. AnewBlueDay says:

This was to be a special week for baseball. Free Agent signings, trades, draft, etc.

And Greinke has slowed it down to a walk. He alone as taken the excitement out of the week.

Since: 1) he cannot make up his mind, 2) his wife cannot make up her mind, 3) he wants to see more money, 4) his agent wants to see more money . . .

All those in line to see what he does, where he goes, how much he gets — the line is not moving very much.

Greinke, do something, so others can get on with their lives.

I would give Greinke a \”take it or leave it deal of $180 million and you have until Midnight – after that we have to move on.\”

34. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark, great, I like a man (person) of action. Move it or lose it. Sign here or sign there, but get on with our lives.

35. the truth hurts says:

Let Greinke go to Texas……

Personally, I am more concerned with the offense scoring runs.

36. RoidRage says:

If it is a take it or leave it deal, why 180 mil? Why not 150 mil or some other number? I just don’t get your logic, maybe negotiations is not your strong suit. I think you better leave it to the professionals.

• Mark_Timmons says:

What kind of roids are making you rage? Hemorrhoids?

Let me explain a few things to you. When it comes to negotiations, you had better be a professional because I am.

Reasons why 180?

1. Well, we know he wants to beat CC\’s deal which was $161.

2. The Dodgers may lose out on someone else if they keep waiting.

3. A few million more doesn\’t mean much to a team like the Dodgers who are about to be flush with cash. Shoo, offer him $200 million if you really want him.

4. The Dodgers need to take control of the negotiations. \”We want you Zach, but we are intent on winning a few World Series and if we snooze, we loose. If we don\’t hear from you by midnight, we will move on.\”

5. I don\’t like to play those games. If Greinke can\’t decide – decide for him. Get Sheilds and Sanchez.

6. And I live by this: BE BOLD AND MIGHTY FORCES WILL COME TO YOUR AID!

• RogerCraig says:

I used to be a negotiator and that is exactly want the Dodgers need to do. If Greinke doesn’t rally, really want to be a Dodger, then they should sign someone else… cheaper anyway.

• Jae says:

Hey – Mark is a professional.

37. SomethingHappenAlready says:

please

Young’s offensive numbers fell off the table last year, but the year before he was an All Star. His dWAR at third is pretty bad…. -2.2 and he isn’t going to be younger next year. The Phils are allegedly willing to pay half his salary….. so the Dodgers could match that and maybe get him. Young and Ramirez on the left side could please pitchers offensively, but, they won’t like what those two would likely do defensively. I would rather see Youk, but for 12 mil? meh, don’t think that will happen.

RoidRage has inside info. Need the source Rsquared.

Where are we reading the Dodgers interest in Seager? (MSTI?) Is it speculation because of Seattle’s interest in Gordon? What makes anyone think they will trade one of the few bats they have? He is actually under team control for a while.

My inside sources tell me Greinke is going to sign any minute.

Once Greinke signs the dominos fall. I suspect rather quickly too.

If the “Mega-deal” with Upton goes down I suspect the Hamilton dominos fall quickly too.

40. Reggie says:

I am with Mark on this. Give Zach a deadline and move on if he doesn’t act. It’s like that girl who plays hard to get. Move on – she was probably a __itch anyway. There are more fish in the sea.

41. Corey says:

Anyone know if the Red Sox have anything of value we could use….How about Ethier and Capuano for 3b, Catcher or 2b….sign Bourn and move Kemp to right. I’m sure Kemp wouldn’t be all for it, but it would save a lot of wear and tear on him and get us a lead off hitter that can run, while improving the outfield defense as well.

42. AnewBlueDay says:

I just watched the 10 HRs on MLB Network . . . of Hamilton.

The Dodgers do not have a hitter with a swing like that.

Not just a nice swing, but the coordination of eye, bat, ball . . . it looks so easy.

I sign him and trade Ethier.

43. RoidRage says:

Sorry to inform you what you describe is not a negotiation, that is called an ultimatum. Besides I called out was your logic anyway. As you like to say, Read my post again or whatever deflection you use.

You guys are sure thin skinned. Someone disagrees and your response is always an attack. You better do a little more calling and relying on the Powerful Source to kind you, my friend.

• Reggie says:

“I just don’t get your logic, maybe negotiations is not your strong suit. I think you better leave it to the professionals.”

That sure sounds like and attack to me. I do not get your logic either.

Roid,

Since you claim to know so much about negotiations, I am sure that you are very familiar with “The International Negotiations Handbook.” It lists all types of negotiations and tactics and on page 56 where it lists “Using Ultimatums” as a negotiating tactic it says this:

“As stated throughout this chapter, it is important to be fully aware and understand the culture and customs of all parties at the negotiation table including the use of ultimatums (“take it or leave it” declarations). In some cultures, ultimatums are considered a regular part of negotiations. However, ultimatums generally are quite risky and are a drastic measure in any negotiation. If the other party rejects your delegation’s ultimatum, then your delegation may be faced with a difficult decision to either end the negotiation or withdraw the ultimatum and risk losing credibility. However, should the negotiations reach a point where no progress is being made and only a few issues remain, issuing an ultimatum may encourage the other parties to make a better offer.”

It can also be used when you need to move or move on…

Your move counselor.

Not sure about RR, but I know Mark and I know that this is a topic about which he is well schooled. I would argue politics and trades with him, cuz he ain’t so well schooled on either of those, but negotiations and business dealings, I defer to the Mountain Mover.

If you tell them you are willing to give more than anyone else in the history of baseball has ever given a pitcher, and then tell them they have 24 hours to decide, I would call it, first of all, one hell of an offer. Secondly, why split hairs over this? This is what we are willing to pay, and the window is 24 hours because we need to go offer this money to someone else. Yes or no? Yeah, you could call it an ultimatum. Or you can just call it our final offer, talk it over, then take it or leave it. If they come back with something else, then you decide. If the Dodgers offer them $180 million and they say they want more, then obviously you move on. I would think the “negotiations” are over at that point.

45. DodgerDude says:

So an ultimatum is a negotiation? The Roid was wrong? Is that what I am reading?

Screw Greinke and his 1.56 3 year split WAR. He is no where near the pitcher Sabathia and Verlander are (try 7 and 8 WARs) so why pay him more than those guys are getting? He’s just not worth it. Let Texas overpay for him.

Move on dot org and go after some other arms and some thunder bats that will outscore everybody. Greinke should have said yes by now. ef him.

Actually, I understand Mark’s take it or leave it stance. “Ultimately”, an ultimatum can become a legitimate device in a negotiation. But I also think the Dodgers shouldn’t be paralyzed by any perceived indecision on the part of Greinke and his agent. They should continue to pursue other options, and act if a worthwhile alternative materializes. If they haven’t made any commitments, then they’re free to do anything they please, and would have no obligations to Greinke or his agent.

I won’t get into the numbers. $150 million, $180 million, $200 million, $999 bazillion. I don’t have any inside information on Dodger finances, so I can’t argue that one intelligently. However, I have full confidence that the Dodgers management has a solid grasp on their own finances both for now and going forward. I’m guessing whatever they decide will be based upon sound judgment of their financial wherewithal.

48. RogerCraig says:

Maybe Sanchez and Ryu are all we need:

1. Kershaw
    2. Sanchez
    3. Lilly & Billingsley
    4. Capuano & Harang (Capuano 1st half; Harang 2nd half)
    5. Ryu & Beckett

The heck with Greinke. If he can’t decide, he’s not worthy to be a Dodger.

Agreed.

Greinke is obviously their first choice. I get that. But, if we aren’t his first choice, and we should know that by now, let it go and move on.

Sanchez and Ryu look like damn fine additions to me. And we can get both of them for less than what Greinke is asking.

Greinke Scmeinke. Adios Zack. Hola Anibal.

We don’t know how good Ryu is, but I’m guessing the Dodgers think pretty highly of him. Hence, the $25 million posting fee. Throw in Sanchez or his equivalent, and the Dodgers enter the season with a solid rotation, made all that much better if Billingsley is really ready to go, and able to withstand the rigors of a full season. Of course Ryu hasn’t signed, so that part of the equation is still uncertain.

Greinke would probably be nice to have, but more than likely there will likely be other opportunities to enhance the rotation between now and July. Trades are still possible, there are probably pitchers available that we haven’t thought of, or at least considered, and there could ultimately be teams wishing to relieve themselves of some payroll. Who knows, maybe someone from our own farm system turns a corner. Whatever the case, these Dodgers unlike Dodger teams of the recent past, have the flexibility to do stuff at all times, for the very simple reason that they now have financial muscle.

50. Gionfriddo says:

I’m with all you guys (Badger, Roger, and especially Mark)– At this point both LA and Texas have made initial contact (talked yrs and total worth of deal) with Greinke’s agent, Casey Close. I get that ZG is a cerebral guy and wants to take his time. Let’s be real here though, this week is NOT the first time that Close has floated out the dollar amounts that his client is seeking. In return, Close and ZG both know how much $$ the Rangers and Blue are willing to spend.

In his 8 year career, ZG has made 40.5 million– the young man has enough cash now to last several lifetimes.. Mark is spot on, put out the final figure (162 mill, 172 mill or 180 mill) and tell ZG you have til midnight of Dec.8 to take it or leave it.

If he walks, let’s move on to plan B… which better NOT involve Kyle Lohse. I am dead set against giving up our 1st rd pick this year for Lohse. If we are unable to pry Shields from TB, I would offer Anibal Sanchez 4 yrs @ 65 mill (he is not worth 90 mill) and get Ryu signed Sunday to a 2 yr deal worth 27 mill…

• Kevin says:

I like everything you stated here Gionfriddo but it’s going to take more than 4 yrs/$65M to land Sanchez. He will hold out for 5 years and someone will give it to him. I think it takes 5yrs/$75M to land him…..yes these are the times we live in!

51. Reggie says:

Greinke still hasn’t signed. Maybe it is not over?

52. The Bunny Rabbit inside Broxton's Soul says:

I just don’t understand why there is such a rush. No one is going to sign anywhere until Greinke signs or Hamilton signs. Greinke is just doing his due diligence.It’s his first time as a free agent and he’s carefully deciding what he wants to do and where he wants to play. He’s been known as very methodical in his actions. Why would this be any different? Give him time to figure his stuff out. If he comes here, awesome… if not we’ll move on. Greinke will set the price for all the free agents to sign after him. We don’t need an ultimatum yet. We just talk to him, let him decide and then move on. No one will outbid us for players monetarily. No half-way decent free agent is going to sign anywhere without checking with us to see what we offer.

No need to rush. Spring Training doesn’t start until February. We have two months

53. AnewBlueDay / Roger Dodger says:

For newer folks here, I use both of those names . . .

My eyes are tired staying up for 4 night now, waiting for him to sign.

I push Badger law of over 30 guys, and I go with Hamilton. Watching those 10 HRs earlier tonight on TV, the Dodgers need that Roy Hobbs like guy.

Maybe my morning . . .

Can’t agree with that Roger. The last thing the Dodgers need to do is rush to make a deal they don’t want to make. Not a good precedent to set with agents that they will have to deal with again, and again and again. No doubt that they have the flexibility to overspend some, and maybe they will. Colletti and Kasten have a lot of experience doing these things, and I’m sure Mark Walter has been involved in more than a few negotiations during his lifetime. Without knowing anything else, and not being privy to any real, honest inside information, I’m confident that the people on the Dodgers side are perfectly capable of seeing this through, one way or another.

Like friddo, I don’t want the Dodgers to surrender a draft pick to sign Kyle Lohse.

55. ken says:

What ken said at 10:20 AM today :)
    “Forget Greinke
    Impose Gag order
    Sign Sanchez 5 years $90 mil (rather he wants 6 years & $90mil)
    Sign Ryu 4 years $50 mil, or walk away from him too
    Continue to run up the price on Greinke
    Announce all signings on Sunday.
    Then go work on 2B or 3B.”

Ned wasted the day. Just move on. Signing Greinke will just make Kershaw’s contract unbearable and as a result there will be very little money to be used when a new opportunity arises in the future to sign a player to replace an important player who sustains a major injury.

56. Anonymous says:

Move On Move On Move On MOOOOOOOOOOOVE ON

Sign Youk for 2 years, trade Cruz and Withrow to NYY for Gary Sanchez (C)

57. AnewBlueDay / Roger Dodger says:

From what I have seen of the new(er) ownership, they make BIG moves. Not little ones like the old ownership.

If Greinke and his wife, want to stay in Texas where it is safe from all of the BIG life in L.A. land — more power to him. From what I have read in the past, he prefers a more quiet arena to do his work. Issues . . .

But, then move on and take care of business. Ownership goal (as has been reported) wants All-Star type players on the field at every position (within two years or so). Okay, so that is why they could upgrade with Hamilton and trade Ethier.

They want to win starting in 2013. Hamilton’s bat with Gonzales, Ramirez, Kemp, and later Crawford — that is 5 hitters. Add AJ Ellis, 2B and 3B, and we are done. Exchange Ethier for Hamilton — not as impressive. [Maybe the Ethier trade can bring the 2B or 3B and pitching help that is needed.]

Winter Meetings in Review:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I haven’t trusted the Dodgers “prospect list” for a few years now. It seems to change every few months. As far as I can tell we have Gordon, Lee, Puig and then the 7 Wannabe’s. Who shows up on any to 50 lists? The Dodgers aren’t even listed in the “talks” for Shields. If the dbacks want him, they can get him. They have 3 pitchers and a 3b in the top 50. I have seen all of them and in my estimation they are all can’t miss players.

He’s had time to figure this out Bunny. What else does he need? He and his agent are holding things up for everyone else. It’s like 60 some days until pitchers and catchers report. If the Dodgers move on, then….. maybe……uh oh. If we could go ahead and sign Sanchez, or any top pitcher for that matter, Greinke will lose some leverage with the Rangers. You want Texas? You can HAVE TEXAS! If you want to pitch in the Sr. Circuit and have a shot at championship every year for the remainder of your contract, come on down Zackariah!

So what will the final TV deal look like?

• Mark_Timmons says:

Last week, I said the deal should be worth $10 Billion to FOX and was told \”NO THEY ARE WORKING ON A DEAL CLOSER TO 7BILLION AND ITS ALMOST DONE! THE DODGERS HAVE TO MAKE THIS DEAL BECAUSE IF THEY DONT THEY WILL NOT HAVE LEVERAGE BECAUSE FOX IS CLAMING THEY WILL BACK OUT IF A DEAL IS NOT REACHED!\”

Well, obviously the Dodgers want more than $6-7 Billion and they are now talking with Time-Warner. I think that if they don\’t get $9 to 10 Billion they will start their own network.

“I think that if they don\’t get $9 to 10 Billion they will start their own network.”

Wouldn’t that be better for everyone? Or, will folks like me, in the nether-lands of media availability, not have access?

Direct TV just pisses me off, Dish is inferior and our local cable company is bush league. Tell me oh Master of All Things Negotiated… what will serve the Badger better?

• Mark_Timmons says:

If they start their own network they could stream it over the internet and other mobile devices, which could reach everyone as well.

I am sure they want to reach as many people as possible. I could see a Daily Dodgers Report which would air 4 times a day, interviews from heroes past, events, old games, shoot even a LAdodgerTalk segment with Mark Timmons!

So….. I won’t get to watch it all on my 46″ high def Sony Bravia? Or…. will I be able to stream wi fi over to the t.v.? I don’t understand. Technology frightens me.

Ken Gurnick saying what I have been saying for a long time:

… especially that the moves the Dodgers made last season were not just for the future but to also win last season and it failed!

Ken just says it the way it really is.

Badger,

You will be able to watch it on either one. I no longer subscribe to the MLB Cable TV thing. I do it on online and I can watch it on any TV in the house, my i-phone, i-pad, office or home computer or laptop.

That sounds good to me. Is it kinda like streaming Netflix? Maybe you can walk me through it when the time comes.

Yeah, no state income tax in Texas. That’s a plus. But, it’s Texas. That, in my mind, is a minus, though Greinke’s wife has connections there and Greinke himself is from the south. When you are talking the kind of money they are, does it really matter where you live for 81 games? At the end of this contract, wherever it is, Greinke is still under 40 and has half his life to live wherever and however he wants. Heck, Kevin Brown still lived in Georgia when he signed with the Dodgers. Remember that? The self centered irritable rat bastard had is own chartered jet to fly back and forth.

I don’t think it’s about the money. The money is a string of $20 bills from here to the East Coast. When you are talking of a career where he will make over $200 million, I think that should be enough. I hope it’s about playing in the NL, where not only will he get to hit, his numbers will be more HOF like.

62. Billy says:

One important deal breaker on the Greinke deal is that Texas has no income tax. The dodgers would have to put a lot more money down to outbid the Rangers.

63. Bobbie17 says:

My guess is that since the Dodgers haven’t imposed plan B yet, plan A is still a possibility. What’s causing plan B players to hold up signing? Greinke money? If I were a plan B guy, I would like to sign somewhere asap. It’s strange that plan B guys are holding out. That’s more surprising than Greinke and Hamilton. They must sense that the market will always be there. What if the Dodgers announced they were done with signing players at all? Then what? That won’t happen, but that money disappearing would make some say “oh sh….t.” The meeting were a bust, except for SF.

“The Rangers would prefer to sign Greinke, trade Michael Young to Philadelphia and acquire Justin Upton, Nightengale reports.”

Well no sh*t Bob. There’s a scoop for you.

The silly season is in full swing here.

• Gionfriddo says:

Badger, Nightengale & Heyman both just reported that water is wet and the sky is blue.. Those 2 are on top of it…

65. Rob says:

Why isn’t McCarthy being discussed. I watched him a bunch up here in northern Cali and he could be that #2 guy we are looking for. Plus he would be cheap for less years.

66. Gonzo says:

No tax in Texas but very high property tax and sales tax so if you think about it’s a moot point.

67. Anonymous says:

Their reluctance to field offers on Dee Gordon, as well as Colletti and Mattingly’s comments on Hanley at SS next year, are an indication that they do not feel that Hanley will be able to hold the job down. They pretty much told him that its his position to open the season but that he “needs” to improve. And that to me says that they won’t think twice about moving him to 3b if he can’t get better at SS. And that’s why they want to retain Gordon.

Greinke is afraid to pitch in LA. I keep talking about his past “anxiety” issues and everyone blows them off, citing playoff appearances and other things since it happened a few years back. But writers still mention his apprehension with change and other small indicators that lead me to believe that he is just as fragile as Josh Hamilton mentally. I don’t want that on our team. I think he likes Texas because of the tax break, proximity to in-laws (keep the wife happy), and that he’d be on a team with less pressure since they already have a very talented staff and rotation. In LA, he’d have WAY higher expectations. And that is not for “fragile” men.

68. Jae says:

I notice that the teams interested in Dee Gordon are interested in him as an outfielder and I agree – he is not an infielder, but he might be a fine CF!

69. Gionfriddo says:

Per Jim Bowden– a source told him “Greinke was blown away by Nolan Ryan & Ranger front office. He likes the ML team, their prospects, & chances of winning a WS.”

Bowden then said if LA wants Greinke they need to make him an offer he can’t refuse and quick cuz time is running out. Keep in mind, Bowden is not a Heyman or Rosenthal–he was an executive and GM for two decades– his source, more than likely is another exec who knows the inner workings of this deal..

That being said, I hold very little hope that Greinke will be a Dodger. Time to move on.

NO TO KYLE LOHSE.

70. ken says:

Ned is now offically becoming a moron as FA potential signings go to other teams and the dodgers lose out on trades due to Logan White and Colonel Mustard’s terrible farm system. Smart, including having built a quality farm system, beats money.

What somebody said early Thursday morning. :)

Forget Greinke
    Impose Gag order
    Sign Sanchez 5 years $90 mil
    Sign Ryu 4 years $50 mil, or walk away from him too
    Continue to run up the price on Greinke
    Announce all signings on Sunday.
    Then go work on 2B or 3B.

The dodgers need to keep Gordon at AAA. Remember Rameriz’s contract is up after 2014.

71. ken says:

Just some ERAs to consider when evaluating cost benefit analysis and thinking about MONEY!

Kershaw 2.53
    Fife 2.70
    Beckett 2.93
    Lilly 3.14
    Shields 3.52
    Greinke 3.53
    Bills 3.55
    Harang 3.61
    Cappy 3.72
    Sanchez 3.74

Just sign a #2 and a #3. Sneak into Greinke’s house and put an armadillo in his bed. :)

I try not to interpret anything I read about Zach Greinke. Chances are that most of what’s being written has little resemblance to reality. Best we can do is just wait this thing out and see where the chips fall. And it’s not just Greinke. It’s everything else we read about other free agents the Dodgers may be talking to, and potential trades. We simply don’t know what’s real, or close to real, or completely false. But one thing I’m sure of. Ned Colletti isn’t anywhere close to being a moron, and that Stan Kasten is the antithesis of a moron.

Lots may happen all of a sudden, or this could drag on into January and beyond. But for certain, the Dodgers have resources, and those resources will get used, one way or another.

73. RogerCraig says:

It takes two to make a deal. Unless the Dodgers just want to pay him $200 million, Greinke will drag his feet.

Gee, if it takes him this long to make a decision — just think if he were pitching in a tough game — and in the 6th inning just would not throw the ball. AJ Ellis goes out, then Donnie goes out, then the three outfielders come into talk with him, then he looks over to his wife, then . . . the ump throws him out of the game.

75. Pete M. says:

Jae I’m afraid Kevin is right. When K.C. starts dangling a name like Will Myers, I look at my farm and sigh……..
    Lets just get something started about 1:00 PST today with the the signing of Ryu and go from there.
    Awhile back Ken mentioned Stephen Fife…He isn’t exactly chopped liver or am I wrong???
    So we hold onto Dee G. in AAA or on the Blue bench ad he ends up like a Joe Thurston with speed…

Seems like Mark is going to keep this tread open until the Dodger do something . . .

Ryu will probably go down to wire tomorrow (2 pm PT), because that’s what generally happens with Boras clients. And personally, I don’t hate the man. His job is to do the best he can for his clients, not the teams he negotiates with. So in that respect, he’s to be commended. Media money in all of baseball (not just the Dodgers) is increasing significantly this year. An agent who didn’t try to get a piece of that pie for his client would be derelict. Nobody makes the owners pay. They do so because it’s profitable. We’re hearing reports of a Dodger TV deal that will be worth billions in the coming years. If I’m an agent, I take the position that my players make that possible, and consequently should be sharing in the spoils.

I don’t have a clue what Tampa Bay would take for Shields. But it’s probably a lot, and they’re probably getting offers from multiple teams, some with better prospects than the Dodgers. Maybe such a deal would require prospects and some cash to sweeten the pot.

If you look at he time stamps on some of these posts, it’s clear that they don’t always appear in the order in which they were posted. For example, my two posts of today appear in front of comments posted prior to them. So somebody reading from top to bottom won’t have a clue that my comments concerning Boras refer to Badger’s comments, that appear BELOW it. Pretty much the same regarding my comments concerning Shields.

They come in out of order if you hit the reply button.

Out of order? OUT OF ORDER!!?? This whole damn off season is out of order!!

OK…. Pacino I ain’t………

79. Gonzo says:

Well, I thin it is time that the Dodgers move on and tell Greinke that the train is leaving the station and has a small window to hop on. All this taax free Texas is BS.

80. Gonzo says:

The time is now for the Ddgers to make a move. If Greinke, who is setting up his family for generations with this contract is worried about taxes let his ass go to Texas. If that was so great I wonder why every player doesn’t jump at the chance to play there. Hopefully Colleti has given him an ultimatum. If Greinke comes to his senses welcome if not Guck Freinke.

81. Pete M. says:

It will probably take creativity and a 3 team deal to get James.I say pursue every avenue. He’s would be huge teaming up with Clayton.
    First things first, lets get Ryu. Whats your guys take on Ryu??? I base mine on faith in scouts and reports thus far…

82. ken says:

What I said early Thursday morning, when it was evident that Ned needed to change his approach, stop chasing the wind, and go to Plan B without anyone knowing that he was shifting to Plan B, and now Plan B is so obvious and his only option, unless he is going to overpay for Greinke, thus requiring an overpay for Kershaw and all future players.

Otani to sign with a Japanese team tommorrow.

Borass want to much $$ for Ryu now that he knows Greinke is going to the Rangers.

McCarthy signed with AZ, if healthy he is one of the best signings this year.

The dodgers do not have the prospects to trade for Shields

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wake me when Ned gets a brain.

I would guess that the tax issue is no issue at all given that Greinke would stand to make lots more in off-field endorsements, etc., in the LA/Tinseltown market. I’m sure he knows that, and the Dodgers know that.

84. RogerCraig says:

You and I don’t know what is happening behind the scenes, but Sanchez and Tampa Bay (Sheilds) may be ready to do a deal themselves with another team, causing the Dodgers to lose Plan B or Plan C. I am in agreement that time is of the essence!

85. Kevin says:

We don’t have the prospects to get Shields.

86. Jae says:

You don’t think Lee, Pederson, Reed, Ames and/or Magill would get it done?

Well, I think it starts with Lee and Gordon, don’t know where it goes from there but those other names don’t show up on the top prospect lists.

Sign Ryu already. Bora$$. Arghenda fargenda I hates that man.

1. [...] Pokerface http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bESGLojNYSo Under Ned Colletti, you don’t get much information from the Dodgers personnel about trades and/or free agents.  Ned has his pokerface on and isn’t saying much except the usual soundbites.  Smart.  Very smart.  Ned plays his cards close and must have everyone on notice that if there is a leak, the person who leaks [...]… [...]

2. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]