It’s That Time of Year for Top Prospect Lists

Every blogger seems to do it.  Every writer has a list.  Baseball America and other institutions publish theirs yearly. I will list Ten Prospects who I feel are the best, but they will be in alphabetical order because a monkey throwing darts at a roster would probably have a better chance of predicting success than any blogger, writer or journal.

Let me read you a couple of scouting reports:

#22 Prospect (2003)

Strengths: The top power hitter in the system, ______ launches balls to all fields. He shortened his swing a little last year without sacrificing any pop. Even better, he’s more than just a one-dimensional slugger. He hits for average because he combines the ability to make adjustments with patience at the plate. ____________ led the PCL in walks last year. He initially struggled against lefthanders but conquered them in Triple-A. For his size,__________moves very well. The Cubs believe he’ll be a solid-average to plus defender at first base.

Weaknesses: Because he’s big and has some uppercut to his swing, some PCL observers questioned _________ ability to hit inside fastballs, and whether he’d be able to do damage against quality pitching rather than just feast on mistakes. Others pointed to his approach and ability to use the entire ballpark.___________ will have to watch his body carefully. He still has work to do defensively, particularly with his footwork and receiving skills.

The Future:  ______should man the right side of Chicago’s infield for years to come.

#8 Prospect (2004)

Strengths: _________ velocity has increased from the mid-80s in high school to the low 90s, and he regularly hit 95 mph in 2003. His power curveball is among the best in the organization, and he added a cutter that has morphed into a nasty slider. His average changeup gives a fourth pitch with which to attack hitters. He completes the package with command, intelligence and uncanny poise.

Weaknesses: __________ season ended with shoulder bursitis, and some wonder if the stress of throwing a slider contributed to his problems. Other than staying healthy, he has little to work on.

Top 100 Prospects in 2006:

91. Glen Perkins, lhp, Twins
92. Ryan Sweeney, of, White Sox
93. Anthony Lerew, rhp, Braves
94. Ronny Cedeno, ss, Cubs
95. Tom Gorzelanny, lhp, Pirates
96. Matt Kemp, of, Dodgers

Right now, how many would you take ahead of #96?

Any guesses about who the two scouting reports were on?

My point is:  If you can evaluate talent and be right over 50% of the time, you are a genius and I don”t know any bloggers that are.  Certainly not me.

Here’s my Dodger Top 11 Prospects (in alphabetical order):

• Steve Ames
  • Alex Castellanos
  • Onelki Garcia
  • Tim Federowicz
  • Zach Lee
  • Matt Magill
  • Joc Pederson
  • Yasiel Puig
  • Rob Rasmussen
  • Alex Santana
  • Corey Seager

Names like Chris Reed, Josh Wall, Stephen Fife, Chris Withrow and Garrett Gould are not on my list.  I’ll elaborate later.  Just my opinion.

P.S. If the world ends tomorrow, I’ll see you later….

55 Responses to “It’s That Time of Year for Top Prospect Lists”

Just when I think Mark has completely used the name Andy LaRoche for the last time in here, he posts it up again. Man crush #19

I”ll guess the scouting report on the hitter is Hee Seop Choi’s

I was at the game that Hee Seop went deep 3 times. He was a one game legend.

Who was the pitcher?

He was also a Dodger.

You were right on Choi.

6. ken says:

Choi is a good pick!
    How about Greg Miller?

With a weak minor league system its just seems wrong to even pick a top ten.

Scott Elbert is my guess

8. ken says:

Is there something wrong with a team’s minor league system when the 2011 player of the year clears waivers?

So Mark you left off your list sooo many of Logan’s favorites-

Reed – 1st round
    Withrow – 1st round
    Valentin – 1st round

Gould – 2nd round
    Smith – 2nd round
    Wall – 2nd round

Baldwin – 4th round

I think your list, which includes 4 out of 10 who were traded for or signed out of Cuba demonstrates what I have been saying for years – Logan’s Run should be terminated due to his age!

Edwin Jackson isn’t a dodger but a guess

Yeah, I’ll guess Greg Miller as well.

Greg Miller is the Pitcher.

The Dodgers have issues….

Things will get better as far as prospects are concerned. Don’t forget a lot of money was taken out of development and put into real estate and life style upgrades. It will take some time but the Dodgers minor league issues will get straightened out.

But the point about not knowing who will do what is a good one. And look no further than our talks about trading Ethier. If he goes for prospects, it could be nothing but Hee Seop LaRoche’s we get in return.

SVS outrighted to AAA. So what?

13. jerry says:

i just think that we dont have good scout like we use to..i blame the scouts.

No one wanted Scotty. That speaks volumes.

Say, is there one of those L.A. / Hollywood tour buses that offer a tour to: “the homes and apartments of the Frank & Jamie McCourt family” ???

There are a bunch, are there not?

As Scott leaves in the sunset from Dodger lore — he will never be forgotten by any Dodger fan — for the home-run he hit at Dodger Stadium.

Maybe he will be invited years from now for a Dodgers Old-Times Game, and when announced to the fans — they will remember.

I have said this before but I think it is worth repeating – the top prospect list for the Dodgers seems to change every few months. Each year we draft new guys and those new guys change that list. I find that disturbing. How could a guy who has never played professional ball displace a top prospect that has been around a while? I think it’s because some of the guys we have drafted just aren’t all that. Each year we watch the top 100 list and see no Dodgers near the top. The last one we had there was Kershaw. Lee was supposed to get there quickly but has not.

I think this trend will begin to change and I think it will change soon.

One more thing, I am hoping Mark McGwire can do something with SVS this Spring. All that kid needs to do is learn how to square up a Major League fastball and he will make it. He has proven he can hit AAA pitching, I think the right approach in the bigs could allow him to hit .270 with a strong slugging %. His OPS in Albuquerque was .982, though I don’t know what his home/away splits showed.

18. Bobbie17 says:

What a top prospect mess! I don’t disagree with it, but how can it be so bad? And for so long? Before McCourt, before Fox, before……Logan’s Run must end with all of his yes men. It will take years for the farm to produce a sufficient group to sustain this team. And that should be the goal of all teams. Free agency shopping sucks and is a sign of total desperation. Here we are. I just made a mental comparison of the new Dodgers with the old Giants and the newer Angels. Except for 2-3 positions, both teams are still far better on paper than the Dodgers. As I said before, 2013 has to be a perfect season for the Dodgers to have a chance to go deep into the post season. Healthy players having their best years. Lets’ hope.

19. Josh says:

If our system is so bad how come they are winning so many games in the minors? Just wondering???

Legitimate question.

My only answer is, winning games in the minors don’t mean squat if those players don’t graduate.

If you have not seen this video — take a time out and watch it . . .

21. RoidRage says:

Funny routine on Fallon’s Show.

Anyone here old enough to remember when David Letterman was funny?

22. RoidRage says:

I saw Steve Martin live during his Let’s Get Small Tour, if my memory serves me correctly it was in Berkeley in mid-70s.

The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, now that was a funny late night show. Carson didn’t even need his skits, although they were hilarious, in order to have a funny show. Just let Carson be Carson and interview his guests.

23. Idahoal says:

You could compare the drafting the Dodgers have done in past 6-7 years to the drafting of the Oakland Raiders.

24. RoidRage says:

suck works for me, much more descriptive

Suck worked for me too. Seems to fit nicely. Agree, more descriptive.

It is rather ironic that we win so much at the minor league level with players that don’t really match up that well with other organizations. Maybe other teams should think about hiring our lower level managers.

When you think about it, who really gives a rats ass about winning at the minor league level? Maybe it matters to local economies. But, even for them, is it more important that teams win or is it more important that teams have some Major League talent that folks want to see? If your team has Profar, Bundy or Myers, does it really matter if they win?

Much like they called for the call-up of Josh Fields.

26. RoidRage says:

Albaburppy had a peanut vendor that we called up and he had a kick ass couple of seasons at Dodger Stadium. Where is he now? Other than him, I can’t think of anyone from there producing. Wait didn’t they have a ticket taker that Jaime McCourt was screwing?

27. Pete M. says:

Dissing the Minor Lg’s??? It’s the minors, where grown men bet on pimply youth and NCAA alum bat thumpers to lead their respective MLB teams to the Promised Land… I’ll stick with betting on the S&P…
    I’m a Logan White fan and hope we can hold on to him…
    Like alot of teams, we’ll come up with our gems and our share of clunkers….
    As long as were asking Mark McGuire to cure Dre, Dee G.and a whole slew of players, Could we send him to visit Dallas McPherson???
    I’ll be in L.V. in May to see my Dukes and DMac will probably be at about 15 dingers by then…
    My team is in complete disarray with more holes than a good brick of Land O Lakes cheddar, my scouting department is a bumbling crew of imcompetants and now my MILB system is a boat with no rudder and last but not least, not a damn pitch has been thrown to inaugurate the season!!!!

“Wait didn’t they have a ticket taker that Jaime McCourt was screwing?”

Probably. Girl got around. Don’t blame her though. Did you ever get a close look at Frankie NoNuts? Man looked like a 150 pound squirrel with a bad ‘do.

Our best starting pitcher at Albu, a AAA All Star, just got traded for a loogy. Our best hitter down there, another All Leaguer who put up a .986 OPS in the mountain air, just got optioned back there. In his time in the bigs he hit about a dollar fifty. Albuquerque just doesn’t produce Major League ball players.

29. Bobbie17 says:

It looks like we all pretty much agree on the farm system. Why, then, are any of the responsible parties coming back? Don’t blame McCourt. This has gone on for years. As I have said before, I saw a number of LV Dodger teams, and none of them were much good. What struck me most, though, is the nonchalant way they were coached. The coaches seemed like they were going through the motions, enjoying Dodger retirement. I thought it was the heat of the summer, but with the recent flops at the minor league level, I can’t blame the weather. Winning percentage makes no difference if the system can’t produce 1-2 major leaguers a year. Once again, pathetic.

“Don’t blame McCourt. This has gone on for years.”

Well, yeah, and it was Fox before that suckophant McCheesedip. They didn’t exactly pump money into the franchise, other than maybe to throw money away on jerks like Kevin Brown while Mike Piazza was traded. Nice moves.

Hopefully the Gaggonhymens do a much better job than the Evil Empire and the parking lot attendant.

31. Pete M. says:

1 or 2 major lg. ready a year!!! I stand corrected, we must suck!!!
    That makes for alot wannabe DH’s
    Hopefully a new era has begun…
    Hope springs eternal @ AA, because you’re right, Albuquerque is sorta like Leisure World…

Jerry Sands sent from Boston to Pitt as part of the Hanrahan deal. Perhaps in that low pressure environment he’ll get a chance to show his skills.

Another successful Albu player used as a chip for a reliever. Yeah, maybe he will succeed on a team going nowhere. Or, maybe not.

Cody Ross to D-Backs

Saw that. That got a plethora of outfielders. I am going to say the same thing again this year – I think the dbacks will be pretty good.

Pete….. Bama Notre Dame still at 10. You in on that?

35. Pete M. says:

Badger & Bobby – 10 is fine for me…Give me a good game and no major injuries. The closer to the game, the better I feel. I still lean on the Oklahoma game for confidence. I mean playing at Oklahoma and the last time they lost in their place I was high school I think.

36. Pete M. says:

Maybe as a early Christmas present to Dodger fans, we can steal Brett Butler from the DBacks…He may be a little chafed from the Sax signing. Heck, would he be a great roving instructor especially in the art of bunting….Now that my ST tix are purchased I’ve got my list of ‘gotta see where there at’ players like Onelki Garcia, Puig, Castellanos, Seagar (If he’s invited with the big boys), Rasmussen, Lee and Pederson.
    One of last years big surprises for me was the play of Justin Sellers. The boy knows how to play ball and his instincts were great. Gosh if he could hit a wee bit better.

Agree Pete. Justin Sellers needs to be on some major league team, even on the bench. I always thought he came to play, and play to win.

He does more than just put in a year and get his check. That gives a manager a needed body off the bench.

38. Pete M. says:

Roger, I think if Donnie Baseball had his way Justin would be on the 25!!

Let me know when you are going to be down in Glendale Pete and I’ll drive down and join you for a day. Mark and Roger could be there at the same time. We have connected before, it’s usually a hoot. I am looking forward to seeing Puig, Seager, Valentin, Pederson, Lee… all of the young guys. I already know what Kemp and Ethier can do in batting practice. Very impressive watching those two. Kemp put on a show one day doing nothing but hitting over the center field fence…. one after another. Ethier was driving them into the left field alley, warning track, over the fence, warning track, over the fence….fun stuff.

1. [...] The rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers [...]